My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

September 28, 2021
By Anonymous

My name isn’t Maddie or Addie... it’s Abby. After being in a middle school with three Abby’s all spelt the same way, I still had to deal with being called the wrong name. I would always wish I had a different name that wasn't so common, something fun and unique. I think my last name is attributed to some of the mix ups because it’s Matteson pronounced Madison. 

My mom was so excited when she found out she was having a baby and then especially when she found out I was a girl. She started early looking for names, in a name book, online, and everywhere, she did not want to have a name that was too unusual or too common. She wanted a biblical solid name and yet not as odd names were just starting to get more different in the years to follow. 

Overall I guess it’s ok, in 2005 the name Abby was ranked number four in popularity, so I guess in that aspect my mom did well. As far as the naming process goes my mom wanted my initials to be the same as her’s JAM and was gonna name me Janelle, but my uncle had ideas about that name from life experiences, he had an ex-girlfriend with that name and he didn’t think she was a very good person.

I learned Abby means noble strength, in the bible says beautiful, intelligent, loyal woman.  

My ruling planet is Jupiter. I am Charismatic, positive natured, grounded, I have good common sense, I can be restless at times and like quick results. When I looked on the website Mrs.Carnell gave us, it said my lucky days are Thursday, Friday and Monday and my lucky stone is yellow sapphire.  It also said one of the things people dislike about me is I am overconfident? I’m unsure about some of that but could be true. 

Other writings i found said Abby stands for “Cause of Joy” or “Sweet Refuge”


The author's comments:

I had to submit my piece for my junior compostion class.