5.60 College Interview Tips | Teen Ink

5.60 College Interview Tips

By Treblemaker BRONZE, Hempstead, New York
Treblemaker BRONZE, Hempstead, New York

The noblest art is that of making others happy ~ P.T. Barnum

First of, I'm not a pro, by any means. This is just my experience when it comes to a one-on-one college meet and greet and how to help you best prepare and be confident in yourself.

0.5 Prepare beforehand. Even if you're great at thinking on your feet, doing a quick google search for 'commonly asked questions in a college interview' can't hurt. Look them over and maybe even jot down a few points you want to bring up. With this day before prep you'll likely be less worried about having to answer questions. Also do a run through! As inopportune of an experience this might be running through each question and your answer will also lighten the jitters. Ask someone who knows you well how you can improve.

1. Research! While most interviewers want to get to know you- they also want to know if you did any research. Good thing you read this and came prepared with school specific questions! Yay! Ask about a study abroad program, requirements for a major or a specific research opportunity. (Make sure these questions can't be discovered on the website at a glance!). Also ask your interview some more personal questions. If they went to the school, ask them what their favorite part was. Any standout professors or classes? How is diversity and inclusions? Favorite School tradition? And then you have the creative makes-them-think question. My favorite is 'what is one thing you can guarantee every student.' This is a really insightful question and you'll likely never get the same answer twice.

2. The 'so, tell me about yourself' question. Yeah you probably think this question is a piece of cake - and it might be for some -but for most student this is a hard question because it is so very broad! What to talk about?! Make a list! Include three to five main points to touch upon that you think helps the interview get a better picture of who you are. No need to ramble off every single academic achievement and award! Start with your name, location and introduce a few activities, hobbies and things you're passionate about. If you play hockey, love to learn languages and volunteer at city harvest then that's a perfect start.

3. Be you. No, I'm serious, you're an interesting person. Remember college isn't a prize to be won, it's a match to be made. Throughout your interview be genuine and sure without coming off as arrogant, conceited or clueless. Also, this isn't jeopardy. There isn't a right or wrong answer- there's just your answer. Your interviewer is a human being believe it or not, and the more you start thinking of 'The Interview' as a simple conversation the quicker you can stop gripping the chair with your hands, take a deep breath, and engage with the conversation as best you can.

4. While still remembering point 3 tying your answer appropriately back to the college is a nice touch when necessary. If your interview asks about what you do after school you're allowed to brag and casually mention an extra curricula like debate team and why you're passionate about it. This answered the question and shows a bit more about your values and you as a person. This can then be followed up with 'oh would you like to do debate in college?' which is met with a 'Oh yes definitely, in fact I was looking into your schools program about...' And hey look at that you demonstrated you did your research. 

5. Housekeeping things: Dress nice-ish. Especially right now when interviews are on line you should still look presentable. Have a nice background, good lighting and show at least ribcage up in the shot. This just shows your present and engaged with your interviewer. Also make eye contact, speak clearly (even if you're nervous, I know, but you got this) and even if the entire thing went sideways thank your interviewer for their time. Also, send a follow up email thanking them for their time and insight! It seems silly but your interview will remember if a prospective student made an effort to follow up with them, and that's a good thing!

Chances are all of these points are wrong and every reader learned nothing from this, but honestly it was really fun to write and to reflect on my interview skills, which used to be a hot mess because I was so nervouse and are now only slightly a hot mess.