Stop Blaming The Teachers! | Teen Ink

Stop Blaming The Teachers! MAG

By Anonymous

   Every time report cards come out there are always a number of fuming students disgruntled over the fact that a certain teacher failed them. What's wrong with this statement is that it's not the teacher who failed the students, but the students who failed themselves.

Students have total control over the outcome of their grades. They are the ones who are supposed to do their homework. They are the ones who are supposed to take notes and pay attention during class. They are the ones who are supposed to behave and avoid doing things like talking. They are the ones who are supposed to study for their quizzes and tests. All the teacher is supposed to do is, well, to teach.

A teacher is the one who feeds the information to the students. The students are the ones who are supposed to use that information to their best in that class.

Teachers grade students' work on how well it is done. When it comes to the end of the term, they just average everything up. If students fail, it is not because they were picked in some sort of lottery to receive a bad grade. It is because they deserved that grade. So when students fail a class, they should not say "Mr. So-and-so failed me," but "I failed myself."