Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? | Teen Ink

Should The Death Penalty Be Banned? MAG

There are many things in this society which should be banned, but the death penalty is not one of them. It is definitely the right way to go as far as capital discipline is concerned. Right now in our country, I find it outrageous that criminals think that they can get away with just about anything. In some states, including Alabama, the death penalty has helped them lower the rate of violent crimes. We need some form of capital punishment to send a message to career criminals that they will not get away with these severe crimes.

The death penalty would also make people more secure. In some countries of South America and the Far East, they have very severe penalties, including flogging, for even minor crimes. People in some areas of our nation feel they cannot walk around or step outside their houses for fear of criminals. In other countries, however, you would rarely see laws being broken because the penalties are so stern. The United States is one of the most lenient countries in the world as far as discipline. If we had the death penalty, all people would be able to use the streets even in troubled areas.

Another reason we should use this is to set an example to all criminals. Some criminals who have committed many violent crimes (robbery, rape, and murder) are walking the streets like normal citizens because we are much too lenient on them. If the death penalty is instituted, there would not be as many daring and violent crimes as there are presently. Our present laws are much too "soft" on criminals. We need to get stricter.

In closing, I would like to add that this law would make a major difference. It would make our streets safer, people more secure, and make a better world to live in. The death penalty is a definite plus for our society as a whole.

What do you think? ?

lilyxfiore GOLD, Smithville, Ohio

The greatest truth in life is that those you love, cherish or simply trust the most are irrevocably destined to break you the most.

While it's true that an eye for an eye and the whole worlds goes blind...I can't help but agree. Some people push the limit and go far enough that I, quite honestly, do feel safer with them dead. It's cynical in a sense, but I do agree with you.

MechaJesus said...
MechaJesus, Aylmer, Other

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Exactly. And that's because people can't stop trying to solve violence with more violence. As long as this continues, we will never break this cycle.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

"'For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" Jeremiah 29:11. Thank you Lord, for this future you've given me.

This is in reply to what edwarcullen4always said about lot's of people rather being dead: those peope that 'would rather be dead' killed people that didn't rather be dead...why should the CRIMINAL get a choice?

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

I agree. But our country isn't built on religion. We also have to keep that in mind.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

The sign with hitting is, "Don't hit or get killed". That's how things are nowadays. Kids have guns, teenagers are violent, adults are pissy.

Babylufin GOLD said...
Babylufin GOLD, Liberal, Missouri

I disagree, I'm sorry. Fight fire with fire? That's kind of hypocritical, honestly. But that's just my opinion, and we are all entitled to them.

Please take a look at my work. ;)

xAllegria BRONZE, Singapore, Other

Ça fait tellement du bien d’aimer les gens qu’on aime, que ça finit par faire mal. Je sais pas comment on survit a ça. Non franchement, je sais pas. LOL (laughing out loud) ®, Lola.

This article was ok but i thought it could be a bit more convincing. It seems to me that the author is very intent on punishing criminals- in extreme ways.

I live in Singapore. There is a death penalty. And it's the safest place in the world. On the other hand, it's Singapore- one of the smallest countries. So I kind of am for the death penalty. But here's another thing: in Norway, the prisons are very luxurious, the prisoners are treated like normal people being given a second chance. Which is what rehab is, I guess. Reintegration in society is much easier for them and it's proven very effective to lower crime rate. And they are rapists, drug dealers, murderers even. The longest prison sentence is 21 years. I think this is the way to go for all countries (or else, the places where prisons are 'softer' like these become an attraction for criminals). I think the most important thing is to understand why the crime has been committed and try to get the criminal to change. By accepting him.

pplofdac said...
Everything I could have possibly said in response to this article was articulated by you. I agree wholeheartedly...

tianaxbiddy SILVER, Wareham, Massachusetts

"Plot is character revealed by action."

-Aristotle

not to sound really rude i say this to every1 who thinks that the death penalty should b here "would u like to b killd by the death penalty?" the answer to the death penalty is no it shouldnt be here it is inhumane and some1 should stop it. if the death penalty is rite then ppl who think itz rite need to find somethin to do ith there life other than watchin,hopin others will die. if u look @ prisons the inmates reflect society. no ne deserves to have death no matter what has happened it id wrong.  r u sayin that it is ok to kill because that is what the death penalty is sayin and havin it is creatin more "monsters" as ppl put wen they are not monsters they are not "bad" or "naughty dogs" who need to "sleep" they are humans and they need to be treated like it. the death penalty is not shwoin this.

HAWKEYESTATE4ever, Clive, Iowa

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." -William Shakespeare

There have been multiple cases where innocent people have been killed by the government, and there have been 82 incidents where people on death row have had their sentence reversed due to evidence proving their innocence surfacing. If that isn't enough to turn someone against the death penalty, I don't know what is. Oh, you want more? The death penalty costs more to the states than keeping a criminal in jail for life--look it up. Instead of paying the cost immediately in one lumped sum, the state can pay it off slowly over a period of years, which is a much more fiscally reasonable route. Despite what you may think, the death penalty does not deter crime. One outlier state (Alabama) doesn't mean that the death penalty will deter crime in Iowa or Illinois; in fact, in many studies, there has been no significant distinction in crime rate between states that administer the death penalty and states that don't. This conclusion can also be reached based on logic: many murders happen in the heat of the moment, and whether the death penalty is a possible consequence or not, the criminal usually doesn't stop to think of his or her actions. In addition to all these reasons why the death penalty is ridiculous, a blatant racial bias has been discovered by Duke University concerning most capital punishment cases; 99% of judges that have the authority to sentence the death penalty are white. Finally, the United States is the only Western industrialized country to still adminster the death penalty.

emmapnk6 said...
emmapnk6, Canfield, Ohio

The death penaltity is basically saying it is ok to kill.By killing some one for killing some one? Everyone should have a chance for forgivness but, they should pay for their actions. What would killing some one do they would be free.

kateyt23 said...
kateyt23, Meath, Other
I don't find it right to murder someone. But people killing someone for murdering someone doesn't seem morally corect either. I think that is just as bad. It's like a circle. I think people who killed should be locked up for their whole lives. And also more education on the subject of crime should be interduce in schools so kids are more knowledgable. Because everyone is a kid once. If they have the right mind set from the beginning, they'll bring it with them into adulthood

The_End GOLD said...
The_End GOLD, Ashton, Idaho

"Any man can stand adversity. If you truly want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln

There's a big difference between hitting and murdering. With murder there is this huge line with a blaring sign that says, "Do not cross, or else." With something like hitting, well...there's no sign, and the line is not nearly as big. There's an exception to a rule in almost everything. Murder is the exception to the logic your trying to use.

ZombieL said...
@ edwardcullen4always, You just proved yourself wrong. You said there is absolutely no excuse for killing, so how do you justify the killing of criminals?

ZombieL said...
How do you expect to teach people not to kill by killing? It's hypocrisy. It's like hitting a child for hitting--it's just a cycle of enforced hatred and violence.

BrainsANDBeauty PLATINUM, Donnellson, Iowa

I knew that guy when he was a caterpillar, you know, before he 'came out'

You didn't make the point, that, although this is vaguely sadistic to think of it like this, one of the reasons, and I say just one, that we are in debt right now is because we spend HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS on criminals who get sent to prison for life, to die anyway.  People who get the death penalty, even, can escape it for years with appeals.  We are spending money on murderers.  And rapists.  That could be going to the homeless, the needy.  But instead we give it to monsters.  I know I'll get a lot of c*** about this, but just think about it.  Just think.

on Apr. 30 2010 at 6:50 am
skywitch BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

~ A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.~ Agent K
Men In Black

I would just like to say that people don't usually just get up and kill someone. Usually it's a chain of events. There aren't usually masked killers going around thinking, "Oh, he's wearing blue, I hate blue, he must die."

parson44 said...
Now id have to say no on this there may be criminals that could change I belive but there are still ones that dont and are in Life Sentence. Your pretty much killing them in Jail and your adding more tension because there are overcrowded Jails with all these Life Sentence Prisoners what it they got out they would kill again The Judicial System cares too much about the prissoners saftey more then the publics

julia_elg said...
on Apr. 19 2010 at 2:13 am
julia_elg, Valley Village, California

"And of course there must be something wrong / In wanting to silence any song." - Robert Frost, "A Minor Bird"

If the percentage were in fact 2%, I'd consider that quite large, wouldn't you? 2% of all criminals killed who were actually innocent? That's a pretty big margin of error. (My guess is, if you count people who were never proven innocent, but were, the percentage is quite a bit bigger. But it's impossible to get actual statistics on that, so you could be right that it's only about 2%.)

And, perhaps surprisingly, not all criminals say they're innocent. A lot of criminals plead guilty even if they're innocent because they know they don't have a strong defense. But, of course, if someone is guilty and thinks they have a good enough alibi, they might plead innocent anyway. I was actually just talking about the people who are convicted of a crime they did not commit, not those who say they were wrongly convicted. But either way, something to think about.

Babybluelove1 SILVER, Clyde, Texas
Yes!!! i sooo agree i would want the death penalty is right cuz it is strick, but it also says "you do these (robbery,rape,murder ect.) you will be killed like you hurt these people you didnt hurt u EVERYONE should stand up if they think it is right!!!! Amen to tht!! lol good job!