Waking Up To Reality | Teen Ink

Waking Up To Reality MAG

Many teens today need to do a iserious reality check. In the United States, there is a serious drug problem among the youth. This is an issue that needs to be addressed before it is too late. For many, their time has already run out.

There has to be an understanding that drugs are everywhere, and it is easy to fall victim to them. I have seen numerous drug deals within my school. From my observations, LSD (most commonly in the form of stickers) and marijuana seem to be the most popular. Usually people stereotype and assume it is the minorities who are dealing and buying drugs, but I have seen it more among the white majority. The other day, there was a drug deal right by my locker. All I did was turn the other way and continue my conversation with my friends. I guess that is what society does, just turn the other way, because people don't want to acknowledge the problems drugs are creating.

The effects of drugs are limitless, ranging from the temporary "high" to death. Many don't realize the seriousness until they see or experience it first-hand. My friend told me that one day outside the pizza place where she works, there was a teen screaming at the top of his lungs and running in the street. She called the police because she thought there might have been a fire. When the police arrived, they found the boy in the parking lot pounding on the pavement, yelling that his head hurt. He was strapped into a stretcher against his will, and brought to a hospital. As it turned out, the boy had been "high" on acid.

It is only through stories like these that a person can realize what drugs can do. If you do use drugs, take another look at what you are doing to yourself as well as others. The world has so much to offer and it would be a shame if you had to miss it all. The feeling of being "high" only lasts a short time. It is a lot more fun to be "high" on life than be "high" on dying. Think about it. ?

1617almost said...
1617almost, Ukiah, California
Great article!!! I would have to say that I agree with you. I know so many teens who have got sick from many drugs, and most of them got the drugs at school. I liked how you said you saw a drug deal and just turned around. The reason I like that is because there are alot of small drug deals like that, that it's just better to ignore it. I used to smoke but I figured out that there are many things I have yet to do in my life. Smoking is how other drugs probly start so im glad I stoped. So thanx for the article and now im going to go be high off life.