Ban The Gun Control Ban? | Teen Ink

Ban The Gun Control Ban? MAG

By Anonymous

   Senator Robert Dole (Republican, Kansas), the majority leader of the United States Senate and the front runner for President in 1996, said recently on the nationally syndicated Imus in the Morning radio program that he hoped to bring reconsideration of 1994's gun control act to the Senate floor. This act banned the sale and manufacture of twelve assault-type weapons.

When asked by Don Imus (a professed Dole supporter) why he would attempt to repeal a law supported by 79% of the population, Dole was noncommittal. Dole said "Well, we'll bring it to the floor for a vote and see what happens."

See what happens? Hundreds of people are killed daily due to illegal weapons. Young kids are killing each other on the streets with illicit guns. Some say guns are meant to protect people but isn't their only intent to kill people?

The Gun Control Act has made it a little harder for people to get some assault weapons. And now Bob Dole and others want to get rid of this limited ban. I can't understand why anyone would want to make the sale of semi-automatic assault weapons easier for people.

The National Rifle Association is supporting repeal of the Gun Control Act of 1994. The N.R.A., of course, opposes all gun control legislation, whether national or local. The N.R.A. invests huge amounts of money in political campaigns and its influence, both financial and political, appears to be the only reason would-be President Dole is pushing for this legislation. Dole appears to be caught between popular opinion, critical to the success of his presidential hopes, and his obligation to this very powerful lobby that has always supported him. It will be interesting to see how this particular issue plays out in the coming months. ?