Drivers Wanted | Teen Ink

Drivers Wanted MAG

By Anonymous

   Has it ever hit you that someday you're going to die? Someday you will be old and gray and gripped by a desperate yearning to once again be able to run and play? Someday you will be the one telling the classic "When I was your age" stories? Someday you will look back on high school and wonder how you could have possibly let it pass so quickly? If you have ever thought about these things, how can you sit and watch your life fly by? To some it is fine to sit and watch, but not for me. A car commercial uses the slogan "On the road of life there are passengers and there are drivers. Drivers wanted." That is one of the only quotes that actually means anything to me. Those who just sit around waiting for things to happen are the passengers. They follow others, never living a life of their own. It's a pity that when they grow old, they won't have exciting teenage years to look back on.

But I am a driver. I want to live my life to the fullest. To me every moment gone by is a memory, and every moment yet to come has the possibility to become something wonderful. The future is unpredictable. Maybe tomorrow we will receive radio transmissions from intelligent life on another planet. Maybe next week somebody will find a cure for AIDS. Maybe there will a huge earthquake here. Maybe you (or somebody you know) will grow up to be a famous movie star or the president. Hey, they have to come from somewhere. But I can guarantee you they aren't going to become these things without a lot of hard work. I hope all the "passengers" reading this see that they have to take control of their lives. Symbolically speaking, the only ones who go anywhere in life are the drivers, the passengers are just along for the ride. ?