Lighten Up: Writer's Block | Teen Ink

Lighten Up: Writer's Block

February 16, 2019
By LittleStorySparrow SILVER, Spokane, Washington
LittleStorySparrow SILVER, Spokane, Washington
8 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing that it's stupid."
-Albert Einstein


Have you ever had a writer's block? No need to answer. I know you all have. Some people think that writer's block is a condition, something like a sickness. It makes it difficult for them to come up with ideas and sometimes even makes it difficult to form sentences correctly. 

But this so-called "condition" is not an actual condition. It is a state of mind.

Sometimes, after long periods of time without composing, your mind doesn't function properly when you return to your original habits. Your creative writing abilities have retreated to the back of your mind, and it takes time to bring them back. Other times, the writer's block is because your mind is currently focusing on something else. Perhaps you're looking forward to something, or an important event happened earlier in the day?

Writing is like riding a bike. After you learn how to use it, it is easy. But when you ride it again after several weeks inactivity, it is hard to balance. Also, if your mind is somewhere else while you're riding it, and you are not paying attention to where you're going, you are likely to crash. 

Sometimes, writer's block is caused by simply thinking you have a writer's block. The more you doubt your ability to write efficiently, the harder it will be to actually write efficiently.

I have had writer's block many times, and I have found many ways to get rid of it:

1. Use the forums 

If you simply post that you are suffering a writer's block and need ideas or help with a story, forums is the best place to go to get suggestions!

2. Read 

I have found that while having a writer's block, reading other people's stories and some of your own will help bring your creativity back.

3. Prompts

When you're stuck, and you have absolutely no idea what to write, find prompts to write about. If you simply look up "Prompts" on google, there are endless suggestions!

4. Take a Break

If none of these suggestions help, maybe your brain is telling you to take a break and do something else. Sometimes your brain can be bossy that way.

I really hope this helped! If you are interested in more Lighten Up articles, stay tuned for more. I also accept suggestions on what to write about next. Thank you all for reading, and stay positive!


The author's comments:

Having some trouble writing? This article explains what Writer's Block actually is and how to cure it! If you liked this piece, stay tuned for more Lighten Up articles!