Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today? | Teen Ink

Why Is Dystopian Literature Experiencing Such a Rise in Popularity Today?

January 25, 2019
By zsands61 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
zsands61 BRONZE, Lowell, Indiana
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Think you would like to live in a perfect world? Have you ever thought what  living in a perfect world might be like? Dystopias are stories that show us of what others thought would be perfect worlds. Rebellions, futuristic settings, and escaping reality are just three reasons why these stories continue to rise in popularity with readers.

A dystopia is a futuristic, imagined universe in which oppressive societal control and the illusion of a perfect society are maintained through corporate, bureaucratic, technological, moral, or totalitarian control. Would you really want to live in this type of world?


‘"Yup," said George. He tried to think a little about the ballerinas. They weren't really very good-no better than anybody else would have been, anyway. They were burdened with sashweights and bags of birdshot, and their faces were masked, so that no one, seeing a free and graceful gesture or a pretty face, would feel like something the cat drug in.” In this the ballerinas are restricted to be good by the sash weights on their legs.“That sounds terrible! Would I have to tie my own shoes instead of letting the machine do it? And brush my own teeth and comb my hair and give myself a bath?”

 

“It was then that Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, came into the studio with a double-barreled ten-gauge shotgun. She fired twice, and the Emperor and the Empress were dead before they hit the floor.”She is controlling how people are treated if they break the rules and law.“It was then that Diana Moon Glampers, the Handicapper General, came into the studio with a double-barreled ten-gauge shotgun. She fired twice, and the Emperor and the Empress were dead before they hit the floor.”


“That sounds terrible! Would I have to tie my own shoes instead of letting the machine do it? And brush my own teeth and comb my hair and give myself a bath?”.  Living as machines do all the work...no human work.

“The room was silent and empty. The walls were white and two dimensional. Now, as George and Lydia Hadley stood in the center of the room, the walls made a quiet noise and seemed to fall away into the distance. Soon an African veldt appeared, in three dimensions, on all sides, in color. It looked real to the smallest stone and bit of yellow summer grass. The ceiling above them became a deep sky with a hot yellow sun.”


So would you like to live in a “perfect world”? With all of this within your society? With all of this bad and controlling governments?

See this is what we would all be against a “perfect world.”