School Uniforms | Teen Ink

School Uniforms MAG

By Anonymous

   Are school uniforms appropriate for public schoolstudents? Yes, and I believe students in public school should berequired to wear them. Uniforms eliminate the distractions of designerclothes so students can focus on their studies. Uniforms also create anenvironment in which children will be judged on personality rather thanstyle. Finally, uniforms save time and money.

While attending aparochial school, I experienced the luxury of wearing uniforms. At myschool, students came from diverse backgrounds. Inside the building,however, our economic advantages or disadvantages were no longerobvious. My friends and I were able to focus on academics and concernfor others rather than the latest fashions. Since we looked similar, weremained attentive to the teacher and our work. I learned that myeffort, attitude and aptitude were more important than myclothes.

Wearing uniforms helped me realize I don't need toimpress anyone by the clothes I wear. School uniforms helped childrenwho did not have "stylish" clothes to be treated fairly. I wasjudged by my character, not the price of my jeans. I had a chance toshow my personality without worry that I was out of style. This set thetone in the school system that all individuals were to be treated asequals.

I never had to waste time deciding what to wearbefore school. A clean uniform was easy to maintain. My parents saved alot of money, too. I did not need a variety of colors, styles anddesigner fashions in my wardrobe. Wearing uniforms helped me learn I didnot always have to buy clothes I wanted when I wanted them.

WhenI wore a uniform, I started my day worry-free, focused on my schoolworkand felt judged by who I was on the inside. My family and I saved timeand money.

I believe children should be required to wearuniforms in public schools.