A Bleeding Rose | Teen Ink

A Bleeding Rose

By ava_serwe, Lomira, Wisconsin
ava_serwe, Lomira, Wisconsin

Pain just means you’re not dead yet

CHAPTER ONE

My family is just like every other family. We drink 2% milk, eat toast for breakfast, and we walk in an orderly fashion. 

But there is one thing that sets me apart from all the others. It’s really none of your business at all. 

But I think it’s time you know.

• • •

My family consists of five people. 

My mother, Jenna Craw, she loves to knit. She always made hats and scarves for my siblings and me to protect us from the bitter cold winter days. We still have all of her projects buried away in the basement.

My father, Charles Craw, is a businessman. Father is the CEO of his company, Craw Insurances. He will appear in many television commercials, advertising his business. And because of his success, he made us wealthy. 

Katie Craw is the eldest sibling. The perfect child. Straight A student, athlete, and valedictorian. She’s about to graduate from college. Harvard, of course. Law student. Top of the class. 

Tyler Craw is the middle child. The peacekeeper. He is reckless. Tyler has totaled two cars but always gets a new one. Top-of-the-line vehicles, too. Tyler is 19. He almost failed his senior year but just barely passed. 

And me, Brielle Craw. The youngest. A blonde. I am the opposite of everyone in my household. Even though I also average A’s, I failed my driver's test one time, and I’m too rebellious. My father always said he raised perfect children. I am anything but that. I am almost eighteen. 

Tyler and Katie both have partners. I do not. The boys in my school and town think I’m too fractious and too candor. I do not care what they think or say about it. I’m not ashamed, but my family is. Their faces redden every time I speak the truth.

“Perfect, never rebellious,” my father reminded us through the years. My siblings clearly understood the three simple words.

I did not. 

I never will. 

CHAPTER TWO

NEARLY TWO YEARS AGO

“Happy birthday!” my family shouted. I have a twin sister, Adilynn Craw. She is my best friend, and we are inseparable. It is our sixteenth birthday on January 18th. We had just gotten home from school to find a surprise party in the kitchen. Adilynn and my friends had come too. 

Adilynn had been just like Katie; her boyfriend showed up. Tyler and Katie showed up too. Most of our close family even appeared. Jenna’s mom and dad came from Destin to the party. Charles’s mom came in from San Diego. Dad’s father, Timothy, died from a heart attack five years ago. 

Mother had prepared one of the best meals she had ever made for us to indulge. After we stuffed ourselves to the brim, Jenna brought a grand cake from one of the pantries. It had four layers, vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, and carrot cakes. Each had a designated frosting to match the cake’s flavor with vanilla, cream cheese, buttercream, and chocolate frostings. 

Later that night, my siblings and our friends went to the local park. It was almost dark out. We came to watch a picture-perfect sunset over the Rocky Mountains. The sky put on a beautiful display of colors and left oooohs and awww’s on our faces. 

Most nights in winter have gorgeous sunsets, but tonight was particularly beautiful. It made it even more special since it was our sweet sixteen birthday party. Everything was perfect. Everyone was happy. But then it happened. 

It is tonight that I lost all of my friends. We came home after the sun had set, but Adilynn never returned. I accused everyone of murder. I even blamed my siblings. How terrible. No one dared to fess up. 

“How could you do this?” I screamed in their faces. At anyone I could. They all thought I was losing my mind. But how could I? My sister, my best friend, could be lying in the park, dying or dead. 

I dashed back to the park to search with tears streaming down my face. They tried to stop me, even my parents, shouting behind me to come home. I didn’t let them. I searched everywhere we had gone. My mother eventually called the police. She made them come to the park to get me. I will never forgive her for it. The police did nothing to help the situation. Most of the officers just stood there, socializing. Only a few did something productive, as one officer put up bright yellow police tape around the perimeters, and the others controlled the witnesses. The police sirens attracted a large crowd. 

Couples brought their families dressed in pajamas, robes, and slippers to see what was happening. People became horrified when they heard what happened, hoping it would never happen to their children. Parents held their children near, wrapping them in a warm and safe embrace.

“We think she wandered off into the woods, got lost, and starved,” the chief told us. The police lights reflected off his face, making him look young. 

“But how? She couldn’t have starved. We just ate, and starvation takes days! Weeks! What would’ve made her wander? She would be alive and next to our side if you did something!” I yelled. I argued with every word he said, and eventually, I received a $200 fine. 

“I’m sorry, ma’am, but there’s just nothing we can do. Unless we called in an FBI team, that would cost thousands of dollars. I’m sure you wouldn’t want to do that,” the chief said sympathetically. 

“I would pay billions to find my sister. I-” I said firmly to the officer when my father interrupted me and talked to the officer privately.

Since Charles is famous and rich, Adilynn’s death had been the headline in nationwide newspapers, written about in articles, and made breaking news on television. 

Now at school, people stare at me because they know how I reacted and what I did. Some think that I am the felon behind this scenario. People stopped talking to me, teachers stopped calling on me in class, and I have grown to become the school’s most feared student. I’m telling you, I’m about 5’ 5” and 125 pounds; I’m not that scary. 

Why would I be?

CHAPTER THREE

PRESENT DAY

“Don’t do that,” Katie tells me. It’s a phrase said almost daily to me. I nodded. I was about to disagree with something she said when Katie warned me. Katie came with me to my high school after 3 o’clock today. I needed to pick up homework from a missed day. 

Turning a corner, I saw two boys beating up a younger, weaker-looking one. I picked up my pace to stop them when Katie grabbed my arm tightly.

“Brielle, what did I just say?” I looked deep into Katie’s cold blue eyes. I moved my arm out of her hand and dropped my bag onto the floor against the old green lockers. I may not be the smartest like her, but I’m not stupid. I knew this was the right thing to do. 

“Hey,” I called out. My voice echoed in the empty hallway, making it sound lower than reality. I started at a jog, my feet slapping against the freshly waxed floors. The two older boys ran off as I got closer to them. A nimble boy sat against the wall, panting. I ran up to him. I recognized him as James Smith, a classmate of mine. We can’t stand each other. I don’t even know why. That won’t stand in the way of helping him. “Are you okay?” I held my hand out for him. 

He looked up, his face bloody. “I don’t need your help,” he said barbarously. He rejected my hand and stood by himself. The dark hallway gave him a creepy facial effect. “Why would you help me?” 

“You looked vulnerable and apprehensive,” I responded without thinking. He rubbed his nose, blood smearing against his fingers.

“You think I’m weak?” James raised his voice, shifting his position to make him look tough. 

“Okay….” Katie said from behind me, stretching out the word. “We should be going now.” She pulled me away, but I stopped. I looked him up and down.

“You should go to the nurse’s office,” I said with attitude. Katie scoffed and tugged on my arm, and I walked with her. We silently picked up all the work I needed and got to Katies’ car. Katie pulled onto the busy highway without a word. 

“You don’t have to protect me, Katie,” I said, breaking the disturbing silence. “I understand that you’re home for Thanksgiving break and want to fulfill Dad’s words, but-” 

“Brielle,” Katie cut me off and took a deep breath, “you just need to know when to stop. You need to control yourself. Lie a little, for all I care. I know you want to protect everyone like Adilynn did,” that hurt, “and fight for what’s right, but sometimes it’s not worth the fight,” Katie lectured. 

I opened my mouth to object but remembered Katie’s words. Don’t do that. The words bounced around my head, and silence filled the car. 

CHAPTER FOUR

Craw House is built just outside of Bozeman, Montana. The house sits on a high hill part of the Rocky Mountain range, covered in trees. Because Dad is a philanthropist, the house was entitled to an official name. Our home is large enough for a small town to inhabit. I wouldn’t say it’s a home; there’s nothing home-like about it. It’s an excessive house with plenty of bedrooms, restrooms, and kitchens. Ten bedrooms, twelve baths, three kitchens.

We all had our own rooms. Large rooms. Each of us had a bathroom and a large walk-in closet to ourselves. It was nice living in a house like this, but it was almost too big for us. I liked it. My room had nearly anything a person could want. It had a grand piano, guitar, endless bookshelves, a king bed, and a large bay window with a bench. 

Nothing in Adilynn’s room has been misplaced or moved since her death. I walk by it daily and hope she’ll be there, reading a book or painting a beautiful portrait. Then again, I disappoint myself every day. I get my hopes up too much. I miss her every day, and it hurts me, but I don’t show it. My mother still cries every night; I can hear it through the paper-thin walls. Father tries to comfort her and tell her it’s okay, but she refuses to listen. It hurts her even more at this time of year. Adilynn and I were supposed to share our eighteenth birthday in two months. My parents don’t throw parties for anything anymore after the incident. 

∙ ∙ ∙

Dinner was served at six thirty tonight. I don’t eat with my family anymore. They don’t ask me why I am not at dinner anymore. I hid in my room, nose in a book, escaping reality. 

Tonight’s meal was prime rib, served with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and freshly baked chocolate cake. After my family finishes, I sneak downstairs to the kitchen to make a plate for myself and take it back to my room. I do this every night. It was a daily thing. After I eat, I go back downstairs and clean my plate. 

As I was washing tonight, my father came into the kitchen. He had many papers in one hand and a cigarette in the other. The room’s aroma changed from soap to smoke. I ignored his presence. 

“Another night, another dish?” he said. I didn’t respond. He took a quick puff of his cigarette. After a brief moment of quiet, he spoke, “You know, Brielle, you can’t keep doing this. We are still your family, and it’s been almost two years. You do this every night. Your mother feels like she lost both of you. You have to accept the fact she’s gone.” I stopped washing and stared at my reflection in the window. I could see my father looking at me with disappointment in his eyes.

“I have to go to bed,” I said faintly. I rinsed my plate and walked away. I can keep doing this, and I’m going to continue. 

CHAPTER FIVE

The next day, I went to school and stayed quiet as always. I had seven classes today and an empty period. During my science period, the teacher received a call from Superintendent Ricky.

“Brielle, they want you in the office.” I packed up my things and walked down the hallway toward the office. The glass windows in the front showed Tyler and Katie sitting in chairs. But they are both out of high school. Why are they here? Katie had her pale blonde hair pulled back in a slick bun. Tyler wore a suit, and Katie wore a skirt with a blazer and black high heels. Something happened. I knew it. They never dress this formally unless something important needs discussion. 

“Katie, Tyler, Brielle, right this way, please,” Ricky held his hand to his office. I led my siblings to the room. The three of us sat in chairs while Superintendent Ricky took the chair at his desk. He folded his hands in front of him, resting them on the desk. 

“We just got news this morning from the Bozeman Police Department,” Superintendent Ricky stopped and looked each of us in the eyes. “They found your sister, Adilynn.” My breath caught in my throat. 

“What?” I mumbled. 

“Did I stutter? They found Adilynn!” Ricky exclaimed. 

“How? Where?” Tyler yelled, jumping out of his seat. Tyler had also been very close with Adilynn. All four of us were close. Superintendent Ricky explained that they thought she ended up in a local park. The police sent a car to the school to pick us up to get to the park. We loaded into the backseat and drove to the suspected park. There was police tape around the park, closing it out from the public. My heart started racing, and my breaths came in shallow. What if it was Adilynn? What if it wasn’t? It’s been nearly two years. Hundreds of thoughts floated in my head. I blocked them all out when I listened to the police talking. 

Tyler, Katie, and I got out of the car and walked to the police chief. The same one I yelled at two years ago. I cringed. The cold air bit at my skin, and I shivered aggressively. In the northeastern corner of the park was a blue tent with BPD printed on the sides, insinuating it was the Bozeman Police Department. I ran to the tent and opened the flaps. There was a girl with bruises and scratches covering her body, and she had dirty blonde hair, unlike Adilynn. Adilynn’s hair was golden like the sun, just like mine. Tyler and Katie followed behind me. 

“That’s not her,” Katie said through a breath. I heard shaky breaths coming from Tyler. I felt the emotion rising in me, but I pushed it down and buried it as I have for the past two years. 

“No, it’s not,” I responded softly but firmly. I pushed past Katie and Tyler, balling my hands into fists. The grass squeaked under my shoes from the early morning dew and patches of snow. I walked up to an officer who looked like he was in charge of this operation. “I need to go home.” 

“Okay?” he responded as if he didn’t care. He started to walk away from me, but I grabbed his arm. 

“Look, sir, I need to go home right now, and I was brought here by one of your officers. I have no other way to transport myself.”

“I can’t do that, ma’am,” the officer responded weakly. 

“Do you know who I am and what power I hold? I am Brielle Craw, the daughter of Charles Craw, and one of your officers falsely informed my siblings and me that my dead sister is alive. She is not alive, and you guys know it. Have one of your officers drive me home, or I’m getting my father involved,” I demanded. I held firm eye contact with him, but I knew people were watching. The officer hesitated, looking around to see if someone else could help him. “Now, I request that you do as I have asked once before.” He swallowed his fear and folded. 

“Okay, get in my car,” he responded. I let go of his arm and walked to a car. Katie’s face changed from shocked to exasperated. I took the passenger seat of the SUV when the officer took the driver. I have my license, but I don’t have permission to drive a police car. People in the park continued their conversations, trying not to watch the scene I had created. 

The officer drove me back to Craw House, but when he offered to escort me, I ignored him and walked in. My mother came to the door when she heard it slam behind me, her vibrant red hair following her. She wore an apron doused in flour. Jenna needed clarification as to why I was home. 

“I’m sure you heard?” I asked. 

“Heard what?” Jenna questioned. 

“So they told Katie, Tyler, and me before you guys,” I said under my breath, shaking my head in dissatisfaction. 

“Brielle, you know how we feel about speaking quietly and mumbling,” my mother stated. 

“The police thought they found Adilynn!” I shouted, my voice echoing in the room, scaring my mother and me. “But it wasn’t her. I just thought it was ridiculous that they told us three before you guys.” 

“Yes, yes, that is,” she responded, wiping her hands on her apron. “I need to get back to the kitchen. There’s food on the stove.” Jenna cleared her throat and got back to work. She left me standing in the foyer, feeling empty. Emptier than usual. 

It wasn’t Adiylnn. They knew it. 

They just needed a distraction. 

But a distraction, from, what?

CHAPTER SIX

The next day was as cold as the days before. I wore my cold gear to school to keep warm. The news came that the girl was a missing person case from Idaho. She had been missing for one month, unlike Adilynn who had been missing for nearly two years.

Walking through school that day, James Smith passed me, giving me the evil eye. An evil black eye, actually. I helped him. I didn’t brutally murder him, and I didn’t hurt him. All I did was help him. If I didn’t do anything to help him, he would’ve had much worse injuries. It looks like I won’t be doing that for him again. 

He’s too ungrateful for it. 

I continued with my day, quiet as always. My teachers always tried getting me to talk. I only did it when they forced me. Some of my teachers have sought to get me into counseling. I rejected the option. My teachers, too, seemed disappointed in me since the incident. I was always their star student—the best one. Now, I’m a nobody. 

Just a quiet girl whose 

sister, best friend, secret keeper is dead. 

CHAPTER SEVEN

Three days flew by since the false finding of Adilynn, and my family neglected me more and more every painful day. They ignore my presence at any given moment. I’ve gotten used to it over the years since the incident. It doesn’t bother me anymore. 

Most of the time, I buried myself in a book or worked on schoolwork. My life had been entirely uneventful these past few years, too, since everyone was quiet because of Adilynn. 

The next day, my English teacher requested my presence after class. After the bell rang, I stayed like the teacher, Mrs. Hart, had asked me. I heard the loud chatter of my peers in the hallway, excited to leave and go home, as Mrs. Hart closed her door. Her skirt swayed as she walked to me. 

“How are you doing, Brielle? You’ve been quite… timid this school year,” Mrs. Hart asked. She was always the one to pay attention to her students. Hart had always been my favorite teacher, too. I liked that she checked in with us too. I hesitated at the question, avoiding eye contact. 

“I’m…” I struggled to find the appropriate word. “... fine. I’m fine,” I repeated. I looked up at her to find her already looking into my eyes. She tilted her head. 

“Are you sure?” Mrs. Hart urged. She put her hand on my arm. I held eye contact with her for a minute before I responded. 

“Yes,” I confirmed. She sighed at the word but accepted my response. 

“Okay. You can go now. Thanks for staying,” Mrs. Hart said quietly. As I was about to cross the threshold, she added, “Brielle, I’m here for you. If you want to talk, I’m open.” I nodded and walked away, closing the door behind me. I appreciated everything she did for me. 

I gathered everything I would need this week for homework from my locker and walked out to my car. I walked into the empty parking lot and searched my purse for my key fob. When I approached my car, I put my backpack and handbag on the asphalt to search for the key. 

I heard faint footsteps behind me, slowly getting closer to me. I turned and saw two men dressed in all black running toward me. I frantically searched for the key but was lifted by the men from the ground. One took me by my underarms, and the other took my legs. I tried to kick and move my arms aggressively to free myself but failed. 

“Help!” I repeatedly shouted at the top of my lungs, my voice cracking. I kicked the man with my feet in the chest as hard and as powerful as I could, forcing him to stumble to the ground. My legs supported me under my body, and I turned myself out of the man's arms. 

I balled my hands into fists and raised them in front of me to protect myself. My hair was messy, blocking my view. I punched my fist at the man but missed. 

The man I kicked to the ground came behind me and lifted me by my waist. The other one tried to put a gag cloth over my mouth. I swung my legs up and kicked him in his diaphragm area, making him cough and wheeze. 

He crouched on the ground, begging for air. I continued to scream and shout for help, feeling helpless. I ran my fist into the forearm of the man holding me, but it didn’t do anything. 

“Hey!” I heard a boy shout from behind us. The man holding me put me on the ground but kept a tight grip. He pulled a knife from his pocket and held it to my throat. 

“Move, and she gets it,” he said, his voice sounding familiar. The boy stopped running but got close enough to me that I could smell him. He smelled like cedar and apples. His eyes were jade green and his dirty brown hair ruffled.

“Woah, now. I’m sure that this young woman did nothing to make you do this,” the boy held his hands in front of him like he was calming a frightened horse. I am that horse. And I am terrified. The knife was cold against my throat, slowly moving back and forth with little pressure. I felt my heart would burst out of my throat as he cut through it. 

“Oh, no. Brielle did everything,” the man holding me responded. 

“Okay, if you let her go, we can discuss what you are angry about-” the boy started. 

“No!” the man interrupted, his grip becoming tighter on the knife. My breath caught in my throat, making it even harder to breathe. I swallowed and squeezed my eyes shut. I slightly opened my eyes and from the corner of my one, I saw the other man rise from the ground. He was about to charge at the boy from behind. I kicked the man holding me in the kneecap, and he grunted in pain, letting go of me. He dropped the knife, and I picked it up from the ground, pointing it at his face. The boy turned right as he was about to be attacked and fought off the other man. 

“Who are you?” I demanded. 

The boy had the man in a chokehold, asking him the same thing. The man I was facing didn’t respond. I could see the flesh of his cheeks rising against his deep, brown eyes from under the ski mask. 

An evil, delirious, wicked grin. 

“You know who I am,” he retorted. 

“If I knew, I wouldn’t have asked. I’ll ask again, who are you?” He grabbed the ski mask at the top of his head and displayed his identity. 

“James.” 

“You know what you did,” James said discreetly. 

“What?” I asked in disbelief. 

“You know what you did,” he repeated with a lower voice.

“How could you be so sure?” I asked, holding the tip of the knife to his throat. 

“I know everything,” James informed me. I swallowed my fear and dropped the knife.

“Everything?” I questioned. 

“Everything.” 

Chase muffled something, but I couldn’t quite tell what he said as we walked away. 

CHAPTER EIGHT

ONE YEAR AGO

anonymous

As I reached for the door handle, I hesitated, drawing my hand back. I tried to distract myself but couldn’t. You did this; now you have to take care of it. I cleared my mind from any voices telling me things. I thought of things that made me happy; I tried to, at least. I couldn’t clear my mind from anything. The only thing I could think about was her. 

When I went for the door again, I grabbed the door handle and turned it, entering a dark room. The scent of rotted wood and mold overwhelmed me. There were a few small windows on the walls, letting in the moonlight. With my free hand, I turned my flashlight on, revealing all the secrets of the dark room. With the other, I held the heavy bag. 

Hopefully, this will be the first and last time I take out the trash. Ever. I quietly closed the door, trying not to attract any attention. 

My heart raced in my chest, beating like a drum. I felt the adrenaline replacing the blood in my veins, feeling energized. A little too energized. My body started vibrating from the energy and fear. I’ve never been so scared in my life. 

Suddenly, I heard gravel crushing under someone’s feet. Thinking quickly, I hid behind a stack of logs with the bag. 

“Hello?” It sounded like Tyler. Looking through the wood gaps, I saw his silhouette standing there. He had a gun in his hand, his finger on the trigger. Why would he have a gun with him? If I made any sudden movements, he might shoot me. He stood there for another minute before leaving. After I knew he was gone, I moved back into the open space. 

I set the bag down and got the match ready.

CHAPTER NINE

PRESENT DAY

brielle

“Thank you for helping me,” I said to the boy. His knuckles were bleeding. I took them into my hands to examine them. I reached into the glove compartment of my car to retrieve my first aid kit. 

“Yeah, of course,” he responded, looking at me. “I’m Chase Loon.” He winced at the antibacterial wipes on his wounds. He had a muscular figure and broad shoulders. His hands looked like they held power and his arms were bulky. And he had this handsome smile with a deep voice. He breathed in and out deep breaths. He seemed oddly familiar, although I swear I’d never met him. His name sounded like a memory. 

“I’m Brielle-”

“-Craw,” Chase Loon finished for me. “I know who you are. I’d be stupid not to know.” 

“Why do you say that?” I questioned him. 

“Everyone knows who you are, especially since what happened two years ago,” Chase said. I took a deep breath in at the reminder. “I’m sorry.” 

“It’s alright.” I focused on bandaging his knuckles again, wrapping them in gauze. When we got into the car a couple of minutes ago, he called the police, and they arrived, taking James and the other man away. I never found out who he was. Chase glanced at my throat, noticing a cut spilling out blood. 

“Woah, you’re bleeding on your throat. Let me help you,” he offered. He dug around in the kit and retrieved cotton ball strips. He firmly held it on until the bleeding stopped. He then disposed of it in the small bag I opened. 

After I finished, Chase thanked me and went back to his car. I found out he was in my grade. I don’t think I’d seen him before I lost everyone close to me. When I came to my house, I found no one was home. It was only a few maids we had hired here and me. 

Walking up to my room, I passed by Adilynn’s room. Still untouched. I stopped in the doorway, taking in the image. Her window overlooked the pond in our backyard and the garden. I walked into her room, admiring the bookshelves that lined the walls. Her bed was messy from the night before her death. Her walls are light purple to match the aesthetic of her room. If you knew Adilynn, you would think of butterflies, flowers, sunny days, and a green pasture. 

There were books scattered on her floor; some open, some closed. On her desk, she had papers spread out around an available computer. I walked over to it to see what the pieces were. They were outlines of the books she’s written. I wiggled the mouse for her computer when a screen popped up. It was a video of the night of our sixteenth birthday. I hovered the cursor over the play symbol, thinking if I should do this. I gave the mouse one click, and the video started. 

“Happy birthday!” It was the surprise party for our sixteenth birthday. I saw the happy faces of Adilynn and me. Identical. We even wore the same outfit to school that day. Adilynn covered her face with her hands as she laughed the beautiful sound I missed. The upbeat laughs and cheers of my family brought tears to my eyes. 

I closed the computer, unable to watch for another second. I took deep breaths in and out as I sat in Adilynn’s chair. I walked to her bedside table and pulled open the top drawer. In it, I found a small purple journal. I sat down on the bed. I didn’t know what I would discover, so I opened the cover. 

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Today was the first day of high school! Since yesterday was Labor Day, school started today on a Tuesday. I’d say it’s going pretty well so far! Most of my friends are in my classes. But Brielle and I only have two periods together; science and math. Our best subjects! She’s good at science, and I’m good at math, specifically algebra.

The entries went on and on from 9th grade to her death date. She wrote almost every day about what was going on in her life. The last entry was from almost two years ago. 

Thursday, December 8, 2010,

I don’t know what’s happening. Brielle is exasperated. I don’t know what she is angry over. If someone is reading this in the near future, please help me. Brielle has gone crazy. She’s going to kill me. 

Kill her? Why did Adilynn think I would ever murder her? The thought that Adilynn had the idea I would hurt her makes me tear up. A single tear slides off my cheekbone, wetting the paper below me. 

“What are you doing?!” Tyler stood in the doorway, and I frantically closed up the book and stood from the bed. He looked at me with shock in his eyes. 

“I-” I stuttered. 

“Get out!” he shouted, pointing down the hallway. I hesitated, staring at him as he stared back. He brushed his hands through his hair. I put the journal back in the drawer and slowly closed it. Doing as Tyler demanded, I walked out of Adilynn’s room and into my room, shutting the door behind me. I leaned against the door and slid down it, sitting on the ground. I closed my eyes and held a hand to my mouth, stifling a sob. I closed my curtains, blocking any sunlight that shined through my windows. I stretched out onto my bed, thinking about that one journal entry. The words flashed across my mind constantly. I could never get them out of my head. 

Why?

How?
When? 

What made her think this?

Who did this to her mind?

CHAPTER TEN

ONE YEAR AGO

anonymous

I twisted the match between my fingers. Looking around at my options, I thought about where to start. The wall? The ceiling? No, the pile of wood. 

As I struck the match on the box, an orange blaze burned up the wood that was in the corner. I tossed the box of sticks into the flames. 

The fire caught on the roof and the walls as I ran to safety. I watched outside as the cabin became engulfed in flames. Thick black smoke blocked the stars in the sky as the wood crackled. 

The fire was a mix of red, gamboge, and bright yellow. The incandescent flames danced across the trusses to the other beams, then, I reached into my pocket, retrieving a Polaroid photo of two people hugging. I tossed the memory into the fire, watching the flames burn higher. 

And before I knew it, I was running away from the burning cabin. From what I knew, the shack was useless and empty. Snow crunched under my feet as I pushed off the earth. The smoke filled my lungs and made me dizzy as I ran. I breathed in and out toxic chemicals and could feel them searing inside my chest. 

I entered the house through the rope I had hanging from the window. Climbing up was the worst part since I don’t have much upper body strength. I turned to look behind me, and the cabin set ablaze.

I felt something blossom in my chest, forcing me to keep climbing and not look back. 

∙ ∙ ∙

brielle

I pulled the rope into my room and stashed it in my closet. Closing the window and my bedroom door behind me, I walked back down the stairs to go out the front door. 

“Brielle, what are you doing?” Jenna was standing in the foyer, taking her winter boots off. 

“Oh, I, uh,” I stammered, “Adilynn was cold. She wanted me to run home and grab her a jacket.” I pulled a jacket out of the closet. I folded it over my arm and walked out the door, leaving my mother in the foyer.

My breath became visible in the cold air as I exhaled. I stuffed my hands into my pockets to keep warm.

I walked back to the park and joined my friends to enjoy the rest of my night although something felt… off…

CHAPTER ELEVEN

PRESENT DAY

brielle

I awoke sometime around 2:30 am. I missed dinner, and I’m starving. Walking as quietly as I could, I grabbed a midnight snack. As I entered the kitchen, I saw Tyler pacing by the island. I hid behind the wall to prevent him from seeing me. He was holding a phone up to his ear. 

“I don’t know, man,” Tyler said. He brushed his fingers through his hair again, only something he does when he’s frustrated or anxious. He exhaled out his nose loudly. “She was there that night.” Is he talking about me? What night? “I saw her in Adi’s room last night. She was rummaging through her stuff. I scolded her for it, and now I feel bad.” I took a sharp breath in. 

I walked back to my room and left Tyler alone. I could faintly hear him still talking downstairs. 

My stomach rumbled, and I found leftover dinner from one night sitting on my desk. I took a look at it, then rejected it. It was moldy already. I decided to go back to bed instead. 

∙ ∙ ∙

I overslept. Rushing to get to school on time, I skipped breakfast, taking a shower, and brushing my teeth. I scrambled to get into my car and hit the accelerator. I forgot to put the car in reverse, so I drove right into the garage door. I jerked forward, my seatbelt holding me back. I gasped audibly. 

“Oh no,” I said, my voice trembling. I rested my head on the steering wheel in disappointment. I slowly got out of the car to see the damage. The front was damaged, as well as the garage door. Great, now I have no way to get to school. The engine started smoking, so I called a tow truck to pick it up. 

“Should have it done by tomorrow afternoon,” the tow man told me. He handed me a business card with his contact info on it. He took my car, and now I have to deal with the garage door. One of the butlers came rushing outside and widened his eyes at the door. 

“Yeah, I know,” I said. “I need to borrow one of the other cars.” He reached into his pocket and threw the car keys at me. I looked at each one individually, deciding which one I would take. I chose the Suburban and raced off to school. As I pulled into the parking lot at school, I realized there were no open spaces for me to park. I had to park on the road leading up to the high school. 

When I was rushing up the sidewalk, I slipped on the ice. I fell on my hip and my right arm. I cautiously stood up in pain. Lifting up my shirt, my stomach revealed a bruise. I walked into the front doors at school and went into the office. 

“Hi,” I said to the administrator sitting at her desk. 

“Brielle Craw,” she said monotonously, knowing who I am, “you’re late.”

“Yes, I can see that. I was in a car accident,” I informed her. It really wasn’t a car accident, but it was an accident. She wrote on a small orange slip and handed it to me. 

“I hope you are okay. Please return to class.” I glanced at the clock, and it read 10:09. I’d be in chemistry. I gathered what I needed from my locker and walked to class. As I opened the door, all eyes were on me. I’ve never been late to school in my life. People looked shocked, even the teacher. Ignoring them, I took my seat and got out what I needed. The teacher, Mrs. Matthews, continued teaching, but everyone kept staring. I looked to my left and saw Chase Loon smiling at me. I looked back down at my paper. 

Once the bell rang, I walked into the busy hallway. It was lunchtime. I usually eat lunch in the library and read a book. I settled into a beanbag chair with my lunch and opened up the current book I was reading. About five minutes later, someone pushed the book down from my face and onto my lap. Chase Loon. 

“Chase, what- how did you find me?” I asked. 

“Well,” he started, rubbing his neck with one hand and holding a green lunch tray with the other, “I asked some people, and they said they saw you come in here. You always eat in here?” 

“Yeah, I do.” 

“Why?” Chase sat on the beanbag chair next to me. I turned my head to listen to him, still eating my apples. 

“Well, I don’t really have any friends to sit by. My siblings both graduated, and I couldn’t sit with them either,” I explained. 

“I can change that,” Chase said, smiling. He unpeeled a banana as I thanked him for his consideration. 

“But I don’t think you’ll like me in a few weeks. I’m not very good at the whole friend this anymore,” I told him. 

“Yes, I will. Don’t worry, Brielle, I have a lot of patience,” he said, exaggerating the words ‘a lot’. I laughed at him. I went back to eating and talking with Chase Loon. After lunch ended, we exchanged phone numbers and continued our day. 

He’s going to need a lot of patience for me.

CHAPTER TWELVE

One week flew by fast, and Chase and I became close friends. I was glad to have a friend to be with during the day and at lunch. The library is still where we eat lunch since it’s so calming. 

During the ten-minute passing period, I had been walking down the hall with Chase when I accidentally bumped into a boy in the hallway. He dropped all of his books and pencils. “I’m so sorry!” I exclaimed as I bent down to help pick up the supplies. 

“No problem,” he responded. His voice sounded horrifyingly familiar. I looked up at him to see him looking down at me. I stood up, scared. 

“James.” My breath caught in my throat. I backed up into Chase’s arms. “How did you- how did you get out?” 

“My father paid a hefty bail for me to get out. You’re not the only one with a rich daddy,” James told me. 

“You are a criminal! How are you back in school here?!” I exclaimed, bursting out of Chase’s embrace. He smiled. I scoffed and turned around to walk away, Chase following close behind with his hand resting on my back.

“I have something,” he called out behind us. “Something you need.” I stopped in my tracks, considering his words. I took a deep breath in, trying to keep myself calm. I turned back to him. 

“What?” 

“Evidence,” he said. He folded his arms, waiting for an answer. I sighed and looked at Chase. He seemed just as concerned as I was. 

“Fine,” I said quietly. “My house; 6:00 sharp, not a minute later. You will never be welcome in my presence if you are late.” I pointed my finger at the ground, making a statement. 

“Shouldn’t be a problem.” 

∙ ∙ ∙

Chase and I paced the front foyer at 5:59 pm. The doorbell rang, and I opened it to see James in a black suit. Coat, tie, and pants. 

“Overdress much?” I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes. I walked away from the door into the dining room, Chase and James following. James set down the manila folders and documents he had brought. He spread them out on the table. “What are all these?” 

“I told you earlier, evidence,” James stated. 

“James, we know that. What kind of evidence?” Chase said firmly. James sighed and pulled one folder into sight. 

“This is Adilynn Craw’s information,” James said, his brown eyes meeting mine. My heart raced. My sister’s name sucked up all the air in the room. “It shows her blood type, eye and hair color, DNA, RNA, et cetera.” There was a picture of her. It was her sophomore school picture. She flashed her perfect white teeth and had her blonde hair curled. She wore a lavender top that displayed her sun-kissed shoulders. That was my favorite shirt of hers. 

“How do you have this?” I questioned, flipping through the papers. 

“My father works in the government; he can get anything,” James informed me, looking at Chase and me as he spoke. 

“Great, but what’s the point of this? You said you had evidence. Not just information about her,” Chase said. 

“Ah, I’m getting there. Patience is key here, Chase Loon,” James said with a stupid grin. He looked back at his papers. “This one shows her credit card history.” 

“And?” I prompted. 

“And…” James followed, “It shows she bought a box of matches and garbage bags. Why would she buy those?” he looked at me. 

“She needed it for a school project. We both did,” I stated. 

“I remember that too. In 9th grade,” Chase added. 

“Mmkay,” James said, unconvinced. James went on and on about other papers he had. He explained each file with explicit details. “This one shows her grades from every year. Starting with kindergarten and ending in tenth grade. Never once was there below an A- on any report card. She’s very intelligent.” He continued talking about Adilynn’s history from every record he could get his grimy hands on. I glanced at the clock; it read 9:39. 

“James!” I exclaimed, slapping my hands on the table. They both stared in shock. “What is your point?! You’ve done nothing but tell us everything about her background! I already know her history; she’s my sister. You are wasting my time, and you are wasting Chase’s time too. Either you give us something good or leave.” An apprehensive grin grew across James’ face. “What?” I questioned with attitude. 

“I was waiting for this, waiting for you to break. I knew you were going to. Since we were talking about your sister so much, I could see the pain in your eyes. You just had this,” James trailed off and picked up again. “weary look in your eyes. So, now, I will give you the evidence I brought.” He pulled a sheet of folded paper from his coat pocket. He unfolded it to reveal the evidence. We were startled by the sound of a phone ringing. “I have to take this.” James walked to the grand foyer to talk. 

“Unfortunately, I have to go,” James said, frowning.

“What?! But what about the evidence you were about to show us?” I shouted, but not too loud that I would wake up my family. 

“Family emergency,” he informed me. “Good night.” James walked out of the dining room, leaving all his papers behind except the one we needed. These were all useless.

“Ugh!” I yelled in frustration. I held my head in my hands on the countertop. Chase put a hand on my shoulder, gently rubbing back and forth. The heat from his hands warmed up my insides. I started to cry softly. 

“Hey, it’s okay,” Chase reassured me. He continued to be with me until I settled down. “Do you mind if I spend the night here? It’s pretty late.”

“Yeah, yeah, of course,” I said, wiping my eyes. “Down the hall, to the left. There should be a guest bedroom. I’ll get clothes from my brother, Tyler, for you to borrow.”

“Okay, thanks,” Chase responded. He walked that way, and I organized the papers into one neat stack on the counter and took them up to my room. 

∙ ∙ ∙ 

The maids prepared a hearty breakfast to feast on in the morning. I ate nothing. Chase ate like a man who hadn’t eaten in weeks. I laughed as I watched him wolf down a plateful of scrambled eggs. After he finished eating, we headed off to school. Since he drove himself here, I carpooled with him. 

James was absent from school today. There really must’ve been an emergency in his family yesterday. Although I consider James an enemy, I felt some sympathy for him. Chase stayed by my side throughout the day but mainly stayed silent. I stayed quiet as always too. 

After lunch, Chase followed me to my locker. We approached the hallway and saw a large group of students pointing and taking pictures of something. Chase and I exchanged looks of confusion. We pushed our way through the crowd so I could get to my locker. What I expected was two students fighting against the lockers. Instead, no students were fighting. All of them had looks of disbelief in their eyes. I located my locker and realized I was at the center of attention. I looked at my locker and saw large red letters spray painted on the metal. There was a four-letter word printed on my locker.

Liar

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

THREE YEARS AGO

“You stole him from me!” Adilynn accused. 

“Stole him from you?” I shot back. “Daniel was my date to freshman homecoming and prom. He was my boyfriend. You are the one who was jealous of me having a boyfriend, so he cheated on me for you. I saw the money; you bribed him.”

“So? I paid him to cheat on you. What’s the big deal?” Adilynn said, throwing her hand up and then resting it on her hip. 

“Are you an idiot, Adilynn?! You cannot do that to someone. That’s basically ‘illegal,’” I said to her, putting air quotes around “illegal.” 

“Wait, is it actually?” Adilynn stupidly questioned. I scoffed and walked away, and she grabbed my wrist to stop me. “Brielle, I’m sorry.” 

“Yeah? Well, sorry, won’t fix it this time,” I said, twisting my wrist out of her grip.

I walked away for real this time. I cannot believe Adilynn would do something like that. I got into my car and just started driving. Anywhere but home. I figured Adilynn would have a boyfriend by now since it’s summer and almost our sophomore year. But no, she had to take my boyfriend. I’d be lucky to have one again!

Suddenly, it popped into my head. I would drive to Daniel’s house and talk to him about this. I took a sharp turn that led to his house, causing people to blare their horns at me. Driving down his road, I noticed that the front lights were on. He’s home. 

I parked my car on the side of the road and ran to the door. I pounded on the door, not even bothering to ring the doorbell. A girl answered the door. 

“Hi, Sadie,” I said. Sadie is Daniel’s younger sister. I panted from running across the road to the door. She stepped aside and let me in. 

“He’s in his room.” 

“Thanks.” I walked down the hallway and up the stairs and burst open his door. He sat at his desk with headphones on, playing on his Xbox. He didn’t hear me come in. I took the headphones off him, and he spun around in confusion. I arched one eyebrow at him. 

“Adilynn,” he said, shocked. 

“Try again,” I snapped back.

“Brielle, I’m so sorry. What’s up?” he asked innocently. 

“What’s up is that you cheated on me with my sister!” I shouted, thrusting my hand into his chest.

“Brielle, I can explain,” he defended, standing up from his chair. Animated screams were coming from his computer. He turned around to shut it off. “I can explain.” 

“Then do it.” 

He hesitated. “Adilynn paid me a lot of cash. Like $10,000 worth of money. And…” he trailed off. 

“And?” I prompted. 

“And she’s pretty.” 

“We are identical twins! We have the same face! What is wrong with you?!” I exclaimed. He stuttered on words. I laughed in disbelief and shoved his headphones into his chest. I turned away and walked out of his room, exasperated. 

“Brielle!” he yelled behind me. 

“I don’t want to hear it, Danny!” I yelled back. 

“Bye, Brielle!” Daniel’s family chanted as I strode past them in their living room. 

“AT LEAST YOUR FAMILY CAN GET MY NAME RIGHT!” I screamed to Daniel, who was still upstairs. I stormed out of their house and back to my car. 

As I pressed on the gas, my tires squealed as I drove away, leaving Danny standing in the middle of the road. I cried on the car ride home. This occasion would most likely have been my first and last breakup. 

Adilynn will regret her choices. 

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

PRESENT DAY

Liar

Liar

Pants on fire

Stick your nose in a telephone wire

Kids in my classes used to chant this in my face when I would tell them my mother and father were rich in elementary school. They believe me now, now that they know what power I hold. 

I slowly backed away from my locker, observing the scene I was creating. Or the mural the artist had created. I turned around and saw people staring at me with their phones in the air. Continuing to back up, I searched the crowd for Chase. I couldn’t find him either. 

Then the laughing started. 

I felt fear blossom inside my chest. My cheeks seemed to burn on fire, and I walked at a fast pace to the nearest bathroom and locked myself in the most oversized stall. My body started to shake aggressively. I couldn’t stop it. I bit my nails to the tips of my fingers to calm myself down, although it was worthless. I took shallow, shaky breaths, unable to make my heart stable. I heard the bathroom door open, and I stood on the toilet seat to prevent anyone from seeing my feet. 

“Brielle?” a girl called out, her voice echoing across the empty stalls. “Brielle?” she repeated. “Look, I saw you come in here. Just come on out.” I did not respond. “No?” The girl eventually walked away, so I was safe to come down. I did not bother returning to my locker, so I signed out at the office. I excused myself for an “appointment.” Driving down one of the streets, I noticed someone walking on the sidewalk with a backpack on their back and their hood up. I realized it was Chase walking. That’s odd; I didn’t see his name on the list. I pulled my car over. 

“Get in.” 

And he did as I demanded without argument. We sat in silence as I drove back to my house. Chase followed me to the fridge, where I retrieved two water bottles. I tossed one to him, and he dropped it, causing water to spill everywhere. I rushed to the drawer where the towels were stored and got a couple of towels. Chase found the paper towels and started soaking up the water. 

“I’m sorry,” Chase said finally. I looked at him as he continued to clean. 

“For what?” 

“For everything. I shouldn’t have left today,” Chase stopped and looked back up at me. “It was a jerk move. I just thought I couldn’t be seen with you when your locker said ‘liar,’ so I left.” 

“Don’t do it again.” 

“I promise.” 

• • •

It had been twelve days since the newest incident. Nothing new had happened, but James had disappeared. No one knows where he went. I need James since he has evidence. The spray paint slowly faded away but is not gone. Chase apologizes to me every day for what he did. I constantly tell him that it’s okay. He thinks he screwed up big time -which he did- and feels like I’ll never forgive him. It breaks my heart to see him like this. He always looks depressed or sad, which is very unlike him. 

Katie went back to college, but Tyler was still home. One weekend, I approached him in the living room. 

“Tyler?” 

“Oh, hi, Brielle,” Tyler said, scrolling on Instagram. He never even looked up at me. 

“Can I talk to you about something?” I asked, sitting on the chair next to him. My heart pounded in my chest. 

“Sure, what’s up?” he said, finally looking up from his phone. “You have all my attention.” He smiled warmly and folded his hands like he was praying. 

“Okay, well, one night, when I went to the kitchen to get food, I saw you on the phone.” His grin faded into a frown. “I heard you talking to one of your friends about something. You said something about how you don’t know and saw some girl there that night. You said I was in Adilynn’s room too, which I was. What were you talking about?” I questioned. Tyler sighed and took a sharp breath. 

“Adilynn, I don’t know how I’m supposed to say this,” Tyler hesitated. 

“So just say it.” 

Don’t do that.

“I think you killed Adilynn.” 

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

The words Tyler spoke pierced through my heart. I couldn’t breathe. Without another word, I left and marched up to my room. I quietly closed the door behind me and opened the window closest to my bed. A cold breeze flowed through the window. I inhaled the fresh air and leaned on the windowsill as I breathed in. I then stepped out onto the patio outside my window. 

I looked out at the garden that stretched about a fourth of a mile. There was a fountain shooting water into the air. There were many statues, too. Most of them were men from my father’s family. I noticed my father’s face carved into stone, including my grandfather's, his father, and so on. I knew that my brother would soon get his sculpture placed in the garden, even though he wasn’t the heir to the inheritance. It would be Katie who received the money unless my father did something spontaneous in his will. 

I always wondered what would happen if Charlie had only girls. Who would take over the family business if there were no men in the next generation? Would I have children? I don’t know. Would Katie and Tyler have families too? I don’t know, either. 

I found myself wandering in the woods and daydreaming about my future. I don’t recognize this part of the woods. I spun around to see if I could see anything that looked familiar. I saw a small cabin with steam fusing out of the chimney. I walked toward it. The air became bitter cold as I walked closer to the house. 

I peered through the window and saw a dark room. I walked over to the front door, and the porch floorboards creaked under my feet. I twisted the doorknob as it unlatched the door. Being discreet, I entered the house without a noise. I closed the door behind me and started to walk about the structure. I searched every room to see that there was no one there. There seemed to be no fire burning anywhere in the home, so I don’t know where the steam from earlier was. 

As I walked down a hallway, I noticed one door shut. All of the others in the house had been wide open. I got on my knees and looked under the door to see feet or light. I saw neither of the two, so I proceeded and went inside. The door squeaked as I opened it, and warm air spilled out of the room, heating my body. There was one cot with ruffled bed sheets and rusted metal bed frames.

I stumbled upon a pair of shoes. They looked like purple high-top Converse, and I realized I had a couple of these. I picked them up and found red footprints under them. I looked closer at the shoes and saw blood splattered all over the toes. I dropped them without hesitation and looked down at the floor, noticing bloody footprints leading up to the sneakers. I burst out of the room and away from the house. 

Eventually, I came across a clearing that looked familiar. I recognized it as an entrance to the garden. I ran to my house and went into my room. When I walked in, I saw Chase standing on the balcony. I shut the door behind me, and he heard me. Chase turned around and climbed back through the window.

My face must’ve shown my fear because Chase pulled me into his arms, and I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his shoulder. He smelled like cedar and apples, just like the first time I met him. The reminder of when I met him frightens me even more, so I clutch him tighter. Chase pulled away from me and set his hands on my shoulders. I put my hands over his. He looked deep into my eyes and grinned. 

“You need a distraction,” Chase said. A laugh escaped from my chest. 

“Yes, I really, really do,” I pleaded, relieved.

“I know just what will do it.” 

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

“Where are you taking me?!” I exclaimed. Chase took me into his truck and blindfolded me as we drove. He didn’t say anything but “We are going somewhere”. I felt the car had taken a wide turn and heard us now driving on gravel.

There was music coming from somewhere outside the vehicle. Chase put the car in park and took the bandana off my eyes. “I see a cornfield and cars.”

“Get out and look around,” he said with a grin. I opened the door and leaped out of the truck. As I looked over the truck bed, I saw a Ferris wheel. And lights. And rollercoasters. I’m at the annual winter carnival. 

“We’re at a carnival?!” I shouted with joy. I ran around the side of the truck and hugged Chase. We walked to the admission gate and paid for two all-inclusive tickets. We then entered the lively crowd and made our way to the food. 

“Two funnel cakes, please!” Chase ordered with a smile. 

“TWO?! I won’t even be able to finish half of one!” I exclaimed. Chase continued to smile as we waited. 

“Don’t worry. That’s what I’m here for,” Chase responded as he patted his stomach. I laughed with him as our order came up. I looked at the long line behind us and widened my eyes. 

The funnel cake looked picture-perfect. It had powdered sugar and chocolate syrup decorated on the imperfect dough with strawberries messily placed on top. After I stared at it mesmerized, I dug in, immediately making my hands messy. Chase and I found a table under a tent to sit in and enjoy a live band. 

The food warmed me up from the cold weather. Today wasn’t too chilly, about forty degrees. Still cool enough for a jacket, though. 

Chase stood and held his hand out for me. I took it, and he pulled me to the dancefloor with other dancing couples. We danced slowly to the song. He twirled me around, and I almost fell over. We laughed about it until the song was over. 

“Are there any rides you want to go on?” he asked me as we walked outside the tent. I looked around, thinking of things to do. 

“The Ferris wheel! And the bumper cars,” I exclaimed, pointing a finger to the attractions. He nodded and took me over to the ticket machine. He then bought twenty tickets for each of us. 

“That’s $15 per person!” I pointed it out to him. 

“Which means I’ll be paying $30,” Chase added. 

“You don’t have to do that.” 

“Yes, I do.” 

Chase and I made our way to the bumper car ride. Many people waited in line for the ride. We joined them as we watched the people on it currently. When the line moved along, it was time for Chase and me to go.

The ride started, and little kids screamed joyfully as their parents bumped into others. I laughed as I rammed my car into others, including Chase. He gave me a little smirk as he snuck up behind me and bumped me from the back. I turned and saw him laughing. 

Suddenly, all the cars stopped, and aww’s escaped people’s mouths as they were disappointed the ride was over. I lifted the seatbelt and exited the floor. Chase followed shortly behind me and held the gate open for others. I waited patiently at the exit for him to return to me. I followed the rest of the people off the ride.

“Shall we?” Chase asked as he held his arm out for me to hold. 

“We shall,” I responded, hooking my arm onto his. He gave me a goofy smile, which encouraged me to laugh at how stupid he looked. We walked like a couple from the ’50s, pointing at spectacular things. We watched a few kids play a ring toss game. Chase looked at me and pulled tickets out of his pocket. 

“I’ll try!” he said to the host. The host gave him five rings and told him how the game worked. The kids watched him as he landed every ringlet on a bottle in aw. Chase pointed at an enormous panda stuffed animal as the host took it down from the display. “Here you kids go! Have fun!” He gave the kids the stuffed animal, and they hugged him and ran off. I love watching him make others' days. 

“To the Ferris Wheel!” he shouted, pointing in its direction. I walked next to him to the line, which appeared to be very short. The operator spun the wheel slowly until there was an open seat. Chase let me go in first, and he came in behind me. The operator then secured the door and moved it up. 

As we made it to the top, the wheel stopped. I’m assuming they were letting more people on the ride. Chase and I sat at the top of the world and watched the sunset. The colors reminded me a lot of my sixteenth birthday.

Later that night, my siblings and our friends went to the local park. It was almost dark out. We came to watch a picture-perfect sunset over the Rocky Mountains. The sky put on a beautiful display of colors and left oooohs and awwws on our faces. 

Adilynn may have painted a lovely landscape for Chase and me to have the perfect night. That’s the type of person she was. She was always making someone’s day perfect just by smiling. I’m sure she’s watching us now, waiting for us to fall in love. 

I held Chase closer to me. 

“Thanks for everything today,” I said, resting my head on his shoulder. He then laid his head on mine, knowing that would be a good response for me. We sat in silence as the wheel started moving back down again, wishing this moment would never end 

“Are there any other things you want to do here?” Chase asked as we walked around looking at the other tents. I shook my head no. 

“Was there anything that you wanted to do?” I asked, wondering if he was dreading to do something else. 

“I want to get cotton candy.” 

We made our way over to a cotton candy stand and ordered one. We peered into the window and watched the workers spin the sugar onto the wood stick. So satisfying. They handed Chase the candy in exchange for five dollars. Chase held it up to his face, showing how big it was.

I laughed, seeing how big it actually was. 

“I had a nice time with you tonight,” Chase told me as he dropped me off at my house. 

“I did, too,” I responded, smiling. 

“Goodnight, Brielle.”

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

The clock read 8:30

I’m late for school

Again

I overslept

Again

I rushed to the school, dressed in the first thing I saw. I brushed my teeth in the car and did my hair in the parking lot. But once I got to the front doors, I composed myself so people wouldn’t know I was late. So they thought I was just arriving from something important. I signed myself in at the office and wrote “family reasons” as the excuse for my absence. I glanced at the clock, which read 8:43. I knew I wouldn’t look my best today, but at this point, no one cared anymore. I passed by a few freshmen, who gave me frightened looks and whispered to one another. I’m assuming they’ve heard stories about me and that I would be there to get them next. I’ve heard them too.

I arrived at my class with no extra attention. The teacher simply took my pass and continued teaching. The kids stared at me for no reason at all. I acted as if nothing had happened. Just as I sat, the teacher received a phone call from the office. I am wanted in the principal’s office. 

“Please take a seat.” Principal Ricky held out a hand as I entered his office. I hesitated, then slowly sat in the bouncy chair. I noticed from the corner of my eye a police officer was standing in the corner, staring at me. My heart hammered in my chest. 

“You wanted me?” I gulped. My hands suddenly became doused in sweat. I crossed my legs to make myself appear relaxed and professional. 

“Yes, I did. Didn’t I?” 

“Yes, sir,” I said, my voice quivering. 

“What happened two weeks ago?” he questioned. I thought back to then. I couldn’t think of anything significant that happened. 

“I don’t quite remember, sir,” I responded, looking directly into his stern eyes. He hesitated and opened his mouth when a scream shattered the silence. He jolted up from his seat and rushed out the door. I watched as he ran towards the sound, and the officer followed. The administrative assistants watched in confusion as if they hadn’t heard a thing. Principal Ricky suddenly became the center of attention, and I slipped out of his office and back to my class. 

As I rounded a corner, I bumped into another person coming toward me. I looked up to see it was Chase. He looked frantic.

“Where were you going?” we said simultaneously. 

“Sorry, you go first,” Chase said, tucking his hands into his pockets. 

“I was going back to class from the principal's office,” I said, looking at my feet. 

“I was just heading there, actually,” Chase responded with curiosity in his voice. 

“Why?” 

“I was coming to get you. I set up an alarm that only went off in Principal Ricky’s office. But I made it sound like it was coming from down the hall. I had been watching the security cameras for a project and looked at the camera in his office. It looked like he was making you uncomfortable.” 

I let out a sigh and hugged him. “Thank you,” is all I said. Now that Chase had accomplished his mission, we headed back to our classes. As Chase and I parted, I walked down an empty hallway alone. Suddenly, a figure appeared from the shadows and hurried away. I followed the person in curiosity. It turned down many hallways I’d been through in the past. Once I finally cornered them, I herded them into the light. I looked at the guilty face. 

“James.”

“Brielle.” We stared at each other in awe for an eternal moment. 

“Hey!” someone shouted behind us. I whipped my head around to see a hallway monitor. “Shouldn’t you two be in class?” 

“Yes, ma’am,” James responded, hurrying off, leaving me. The monitor arched an eyebrow. I lowered my head, heading back to class. 

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

“I saw James today.” 

Chase looked at me as he took a bite of his apple. His eyes displayed confusion. “James, as in James Smith?” 

I nodded.

“When?” 

“Well, after you went back to your lesson, I was walking to advanced government, and I saw someone lurking in the shadows,” I explained, swallowing a bite of oxygen. I looked around the library as if I were about to say something confidential. “I decided to follow it, and it turned out to be James. A hall monitor yelled at us, and I haven’t seen him since.” 

“That’s odd,” Chase responded, ending the conversation. 

I continued with my day, not thinking about anything else but James. I hated thinking about him. It made me feel like I was committing a crime—a crime of doing nothing. 

• • •

There was one week until Christmas. The snow had fallen. “Saint Nick” had come to children’s homes. There were gifts piled under trees. Christmas was Adilynn’s favorite holiday. She loved the snow, hot chocolate, and seeing people happy. 

Christmas songs played all over the radios, anywhere you went. People decorated their homes with festive lights and tinsel. Some families even had blow-up Santa and snowmen in their yards. 

My family usually hired a professional to do the decorating around the house. I took the pleasure and set up my own tree in my room. I set all the gifts I bought for my family under my tree. 

I turned to the sound of my door opening. I saw Chase enter my room, holding a wrapped gift. His eyes lit up when he looked at me, standing in my plaid pants. 

“Hey!” I said with enthusiasm as he closed the door behind him. He simply responded with a grin. I walked over to my record player and spun a vinyl. 

“I have something for you,” Chase chanted, waving the gift in the air. I playfully skipped over to my bed and sat down, waiting for him to join me. And he did. He handed me the gift, and I started to unwrap it gently. Under the red and green paper was a small brown box, probably cardboard, just the size to fit in the palm of my hand. 

“What did you do?” I prompted, pausing to look at him. He shrugged his shoulders as if he didn’t know. I rolled my eyes and proceeded. I lifted the top and inside was a necklace. “No way.” It had a silver chain and a small transparent globe surrounded by floral decoration. 

“Look inside it.” I held it up to my eye to discover two pictures printed inside. On the left was an image I took of Chase and me at the fair eating our funnel cakes. The other was a picture taken in Aruba of Adilynn and me on the beach. He got that from my parents or their Facebook page. Tears suddenly clouded my vision as I clasped my hand over my mouth. Chase hugged me, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. 

“Thank you,” I whispered. Chase held me tighter and let me go. He stood up and held out his hand to me. I took his hand, standing, and he locked the clasp of my necklace around my neck. I turned to face him, his eyes gleaming in the dark. 

He rested his hands on my hips, and I rested mine on his elbows. Chase then took my hands into his and spun me around. We danced to the music in the background. 2 minutes turned out to be 20 minutes. The soft piano was a lullaby, and the beat of the music thumped in my chest. After one final spin, Chase pulled me into him and kissed me on my lips. He then looked me in the eyes and said, “I had to do that once.” Then without another word, he slipped out of my room and away into the night. I didn’t know he felt like that. I didn’t know I felt like that, either. 

CHAPTER NINETEEN

ONE YEAR AGO

anonymous

Realization hit me. 

I didn’t do it

I didn’t do it

I am dreaming. I have to be. I slapped my cheeks, my head, my arms, my stomach. I awoke to the same image as when I closed my eyes. A gentle hand rubbed my back. The arm wrapped around my shoulder, burying my face into their chest. The chest of whom? The chest of them. 

You know how they say when you are holding back tears or fear, there’s that big lump in your throat that they swallowed? Not right now. Now, there’s a boulder caught in my throat. A boulder of condensed fear, anger, sadness, vulnerability. I am that boulder. They took my hands in their warm, blood-splattered palms. They looked deep into my eyes to reveal my fear. And suddenly, my legs took me places and the wind whipped through my hair. 

And they ran with me.

CHAPTER TWENTY

PRESENT DAY

brielle

Christmas has now passed, and New Year’s Eve is next. Chase invited me, as well as nearly our whole senior class, to his house for a party. And I wasn’t backing out of this one. I chose a black sequined dress for the party that reached my knees. The dress was v-cut and had spaghetti straps. Perfect for this occasion. 

I drove myself over to his house, which was north of town. It took about twenty minutes with traffic to get there. There was only one person I was waiting for; James. Would he show up? Or would he bail? He was the key to the locked box of answers. The box that contained the answers about my sister. 

I pulled into his driveway, which led to a mansion. I checked my phone to ensure I had gone to the correct house. I had. I didn’t know he lived in a beautiful place like this. I opened the front door to a home alive with people. 

A hand caught my wrist and pulled me into the kitchen. A pearly white smile greeted me. 

“I’m glad you came,” Chase whispered. I blushed and responded with a grin. 

“I wouldn’t dare to miss out,” I responded, softly. Chase smiled again and laid a kiss on my head as we headed out to the party. “Did you invite James?” 

“Yes, why?” Chase interrogated, arching an eyebrow as he looked at me. 

“No reason,” I trailed off.

“Brielle?” Chase said my name as if it were a disappointment. He took my hands into his warm palms. I’ve felt these warm hands before. I let out the air I didn’t know I was holding. 

“He has the answers,” I replied in a calm voice. “He just keeps showing up and disappearing.” 

“Just take your mind off it for a couple of hours, alright?” Chase told me aggressively, squeezing my hands. Is he really going to act like that? What am I kidding; of course, he is. 

“I’ll try.” I dropped my hands and walked away. I walked into the kitchen where the food was. I saw a shiny, tall bottle the color of jade green sitting on the counter. And of course, there’s wine. I took advantage of the illegal activity to distract my brain. A river of white wine spilled out of the bottle. As I was pouring myself a glass, I looked around to see if anyone else had a flute. Many people did. 

The wine was dry, but I didn’t care at this point. I realized after I had two glasses that it was decently appetizing. I stumbled back into the kitchen to grab a few crackers when I saw a shadow disappear around the corner. I set my crackers down and followed it. 

The silhouette raced around corners and upstairs. The dizziness started to catch up to me as I cornered the shadow. I barged through glass-french doors onto a stone balcony. 

The cold air bit at my nose as I took in the view of the city. Chase lived north of Bozeman and on a hill. The city illuminated the night sky. Suddenly, I heard loud blasts to see fireworks coming from the heart of the city. 

I felt it was hard to catch my breath. I don’t know what is happening. My head is filled with air, and my lungs are screaming. I wrapped my hands around my head, thinking it would stop it. 

Before I could refocus my eyes, I felt a force and the world engulfed me in a black blanket. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Where am I?

I opened my eyes to blinding lights. I squinted from the brightness. My head, arms, and legs hurt. I saw a blurry image of a man holding his hands behind his head pacing the room. His hair was ruffled, and he wore a tuxedo. The collar had been popped, and the tie was loose. I took in sharp breaths. There’s so much pain. Excruciating pain. My body is on fire. But from where? 

Is pain real?

I heard the faint sound of people muttering around me. I blinked a few times to focus my eyes. There were multiple people. I looked down at my arm. There’s a needle in my arm. 

I’m in the hospital. But I’m still in my dress. What happened? I closed my eyes again and opened them back up. My vision was a little clearer. The boy suddenly looked at me. 

“Brielle?” he said, worried. “It’s me.”

“Who are you?” I asked, my voice raspy. I looked to the right to see a group of people staring at me. I looked back at the boy. He covered his hands with his face, pinching his nose.

“It’s me, Chase,” he pleaded. “Please, please, Brielle. Don’t do this to me.” I turned to the left to see another man standing with his arms crossed. 

“You,” I clenched my teeth as I spoke in anger. I sat up in pain but proceeded with the process. My hand made its way to the needle and ripped it out. “You did this to me.” Don’t do that. I ignored the familiar phrase. 

“I did nothing,” James replied, holding up a hand. 

Don’t do that.

“It was you!” I flipped my legs over the bed and stood. I took exaggerated steps over to him as he stood firm in his place. “You pushed me over the edge.” 

Don’t do that.

“Brielle-” Feet trampled toward me, and a sharp needle pulled into my arm. I grasped the collar of his shirt in my fists, angry. 

Don’t do that.

“How dare you do this?” I spoke, enraged. 

DON’T DO THAT.

James moved backward, bumping into the trays and equipment and knocking valuable items to the floor. Nurses rushed in and attempted to pry my hands off of James. Strong hands eventually pulled me away and sat me back in my bed. He exited the room without another word. I suddenly became weak and flimsy, my vision blurring. 

• • •

“You passed out from excessive alcohol intake.” 

The doctor explained that I had fainted and fallen over the edge of a balcony. When I passed out, the glass fell with me, and glass shards were in my thigh. 

My injuries included a minor concussion, a dislocated elbow, and a bruised hip. Nearly the entire right side of my body was covered in bruises. It was difficult for me to walk on my own, so my parents invested in crutches. They claimed it would be easier. I refused to use them. 

The hospital discharged me three days later. I was in rough shape but denied any help. Chase walked slowly with me during school, although I repeatedly told him to get to class. Don’t be late because of me. He did not. 

Surprisingly, I did not receive extra attention at school or from my family. Not even from my teachers. Chase was the only person who cared about me now. 

He invited me to go to the winter formal with him. I accepted, of course. And I was not going to let my injuries get in the way. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Chase picked me up at 6:00 p.m. on the day of the winter formal. He took me to a supper club for the fish fry. After we ate, we headed to the school. I wore a silk, black dress that reached my toes. I curled my blonde hair for the special event. 

When we arrived at the school, Chase opened the door, and music flooded my ears. He turned in our tickets and went down the stairs to the dance floor. A group of boys turned and headed toward us. I looked up at Chase, who was already smiling at them. 

“Chase!” they all chanted. There had to be five or six of them. A few were holding red solo cups. The boy with dark hair and dark eyes seemed to be the ‘leader’ of the group. 

“I see you’ve brought yourself a little…” he trailed off, “...rat.” I stepped forward. 

“I am not a rat,” I objected behind clenched teeth. I felt heat paint my cheeks. 

“Wow, so you’re a rat, a liar, and a murderer. That makes you a triple threat,” he said, his voice becoming higher. “Don’t worry, Chase has told us all about you,” he remarked. I can’t speak. Suddenly, his eyes moved to another couple behind us. “Excuse me.” He and his followers greeted the other two. 

“I did not tell them anything.” Chase turned to face me. 

“Don’t worry. You don’t have to apologize to your little rat,” I responded. Chase reached his hand out, and I stepped back. I saw my chance to leave and slipped away into the dark. 

I walked as far as I could from the music and Chase. Oddly enough, the hallways were open to anyone. There were no supervisors besides the admission table. I walked down the hallway in which my locker sat. There was no sound besides my heels clicking on the tile floor. 

I went into the nearest restroom to calm myself. There’s so much anger inside me I’m numb. I looked in the mirror at myself. “Who are you?” I hear myself saying aloud. I don’t even recognize myself anymore. I leaned on the ceramic sink, taking in breaths.

After backing out of the restroom, I ascended the stairs to the top level of the school. I can’t believe Chase hasn’t come looking for me yet. It doesn’t shock me much since I can’t keep a friend without them leaving. Chase doesn’t have the patience for me that he claims to have. 

Rounding a corner, I realized that I had reached the farthest end of the school. I found myself at a dead end. I don’t think I’ve ever been down here. There were a few classrooms and some lockers, but that’s it. I’m surprised I don’t remember this hallway. I decided to turn back and start heading back toward the dance. As I passed by a clock, the time read 10:43 p.m. How long had I been roaming the halls? 

When I got closer to the dance, an object moved in the dark. I stopped in my tracks and froze. The last time I followed a shadow, I ended up in the emergency room. And that did not teach me a lesson, for I followed it.

It leads me to an empty balcony inside the school. There was a wall that was entirely windowed. There was a silhouette of a man standing, looking out. I got closer, trying to make out the face. The man turned at the click of my shoes. 

Oh,

“James,” my voice echoed in the empty hall. The redundancy of his name tasted sour and bitter in my mouth. I slowly removed my shoes without using my hands. I know something is going to go down. Conversations with him don’t end well.

“Don’t you think you’ve learned your lesson, Brielle Craw? Following objects into the shadow, letting your feet take you where they please?” he scoffed. “I thought you’d be more astute than that. But, God, Brielle, you truly are a dumb blonde.

“You know I have everything, right? The money, the answers, the looks,” he continued, flashing his white smile. “You just have to come to me. Leave Chase; he knows nothing. What about us?” he motioned to me.

“You mean nothing to me,” I spit back. 

“Correction,” he contradicted, stepping close to me. The scent of his cologne made me gag. “I mean the world to you. Without me, you would have nothing.” 

“I have nothing even with you.” 

“Well, then. I guess you won’t be needing these anymore,” James said, pulling out papers from his suit. “These are your answers, Brielle. I was going to give these to you that night, but I decided to set up a fake interference to make you suffer.” The memory of the first night he showed up at my house flashes across my mind. I flinched suddenly. 

James then took out a shiny tube from his pocket. He flipped off the lid and rubbed his finger on the top. 

Fire

He brought the dangerous flames to the papers. I gasped, covering my mouth with my hand. The documents lit on fire as he dropped them to the ground. When the flames engulfed the papers, he stepped on the ashes to officially put out the fire. He looked back up at me, evil eyes staring me down. The malodorous scent of smoke filled the hallway. The fumes reminded me of my father’s cigars.

“YOU SON OF A-” I screamed as I ran towards him. Tears burned my eyes and clouded my vision. Hands gripped my elbows and brought me down. I fought against them, urging them to get to James. Whoever was behind me had a firm grip. “NO!” I released my right arm and threw it out in James’ direction. He stood, arms behind his back. The agitating grin plastered his face. The hand got hold of my arm and continued to fight against my strength. “No!” 

And for a single second, I stopped fighting. What am I fighting? My fear? Anger? Everything I ever needed is gone forever. My evidence, my proof, was gone. Destroyed. It all sat under James’ foot. A sharp pang bounced in my chest. I knew what I needed to do. 

Adrenaline replaced the blood in my veins as I gained enough strength to free myself from the forceful grip and took off running at James. My bare feet slapped against the cold, hard tile. James readied himself as I launched my body at him. I knocked him to the ground and knelt over him. He kicked my knee and ended up on top of me. James pinned my wrists against the floor. I kneed his stomach, but he didn’t budge. He looked deep into my eyes, and his face became soft. I released my arm from his grip and slapped him in the face.

He rolled onto the ground with his hand cupped around his cheek. I crawled on the floor towards my shoes. I picked one up and stood over James, holding it as a weapon. I went to slam the heel into his arm when he got on his knees and pulled me to the ground. He wrapped his hands around my throat and squeezed. 

can’t 

breathe 

Just when my heart knew I was done, the pressure stopped. I gasped, my lungs begging for air. I lay on my side, attempting to recover. My vision started to blur, and I saw black shoes walking toward me. 

“C’mon, we need to go,” I heard a man say. His voice sounded so distant. I started to close my eyes. “Brielle, stay with me, please,” he begged. He carefully picked me up off the ground. Everything seemed to move in slow motion. Dizziness took over my brain as I collapsed into his arms. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

“I’m tired of trying to pacify you all the time.” 

Chase sat across the table from me. He carried me out of that fight. And he took me back to his house to care for me. He came back for me. Chase held one hand up to his lips and tapped his fingers on the table with the other. He sat with poor posture in the chair, his hair ruffled. His white button-down was unbuttoned at the top with the collar popped. He looked frustrated. 

I’ve come to the fact that my family has disclosed me in their daily conversations. They also don’t care about me anymore. They don’t love me. I feel like I’ve lost part of myself. Is that normal? Why should I even care? They don’t care. No one came to talk to me when I got into the fight last night. No one came to speak to me when I fell off the balcony last week. The person that shocks me most is Tyler. He and I used to be so close. Although, I used to be close with all of my siblings. They used to care about me. If there were a frown on one of our faces, he would come to the rescue. Not anymore. Chase is the closest to love that I’ve felt in years. 

“Then quit trying,” I spit back, my voice hoarse. I hadn’t spoken a word since the fight with James. I glanced at the clock, reading 10:00. It’s been about 12 hours since.

“I can’t just give up on you, Brielle,” Chase responded. He pushed his chair backward and started pacing. His hands made their way up to his hair. Chase let out a deep breath. The sun shone through the thin curtains covering the glass French doors. 

“I told you you would need a lot of patience for me, Chase.” He stopped and slowly walked over to me. This is the first time I’ve had a clear look at him today. There was a cut on his lip and a bruise on his temple. His knuckles were cut again. The bridge of his nose seemed discombobulated. He leaned on the table and looked right into my eyes. “What happened to you?”

“I beat up James after he almost killed you,” Chase murmured as he drew in a sharp breath. “He kicked my butt. He messed up my nose, too. I was bleeding for hours.”

“Are you okay, though?” I interrogated. I was truly concerned for him. He simply nodded to my question. After sitting in silence for minutes that felt like hours, Chase dared to speak up. 

“You know what, Brielle? You were right,” he said in an angry tone. “You require lots of patience and time. You are like a toddler. You run off, get yourself in trouble, and come crying back to me. For my entire life, I have had the patience for people, especially ones like you. 

“But you,” he says like it’s poison in his mouth. “I don’t know how I’ve put up with you for this long. I can’t believe I haven’t gone crazy or insane yet. All of your conspiracies and fights and threats and God knows what has me on my last nerve. So until you can get your life together and figure out everything, you can kiss me and my help goodbye.” 

I started to open my mouth to protest when the reminder hit me.

Don’t do that.

Chase stood up straight and whipped his sweatshirt over his shoulder. He then gathered all of his things and slammed the door behind him. 

• • •

Today marks one week until my birthday. One more week of neglect. One more week of pain. Chase hasn’t acknowledged me at all. I am stared at at school even more now. People know about the fight between James and me. 

On my way to class, I picked out Chase from a crowd walking down the hall towards me. I took a slight turn into the women’s restroom. I side-eyed the mirror as I entered. The glass pulled me in like a magnet. I had to take a double-take when I saw my reflection. My neck was severely bruised, with ten distinct marks. Ten fingers. An ugly yellow color spread across my throat. There was a healing gash on my cheekbone from when James hit me. The right side of my face is still bruised and flawed from the fall. My wrists also had fingerprint bruises on them. 

My eyes fell upon my lips and chin. Cut up as I’ve never seen before. They then moved to my chest. My collarbone had been sliced open by who knows what. I don’t even remember half the fight, meaning I don’t remember what most of my marks are from. 

The school bell rang out, immersing me in my thoughts. I sighed, realizing I would be marked tardy. As I rushed out of the restroom, Chase stood outside the door. He startled me when we made direct eye contact. His deep green eyes drew me in. He had been leaning against the wall and suddenly repositioned onto two feet. I started to back away from Chase. 

“Brielle,” he said, weak. I stopped in my tracks and looked at the floor. “Look at me,” Chase demanded. I refused. How could I look at him after everything he said? How does he expect me to look at him? “Fine. Don’t. But I’m going to talk anyway,” he continued. “You probably hate me. I would hate myself, too, if I were you. You don’t even have to listen. But just stay. Please,” he pleaded, his voice faltering.

“All the things I said last night,” he continued, “the way I yelled at you, my fury, I didn’t mean it, any of it. And after everything you’ve done for me and everything I’ve done for you, I can’t just give up on you. And you can sit there and ignore me, but I love you, Brielle,” Chase shouted. I turned and looked up at him in suspicion. 

“How can you love someone like me?!” My voice echoes in the empty, dark hallway. 

“The same way you love me, right?” Chase responded. I shook my head, my jaw tight. “Right?” he repeated, uncertain. 

“You don’t know me. So don’t you ever compare me to yourself! You don’t know the real me. The person hiding under this fake, plastic skin. I’m a fraud, Chase. How do you not see that? I’m dangerous, my selfishness and cruelty are contagious. I’m rude, I only think of myself, I put myself before others, I don’t care about people!” I spilled out. “Well good, now I’ve confessed everything. I hope you know why you should never compare yourself to individuals you don’t know.” 

“You haven’t confessed everything. You know that, right, Brielle?” Chase stepped forward. 

The words hit me like a bus. My esophagus began to swell, cutting off oxygen to my lungs. The letters couldn’t escape my throat. What could he possibly be talking about? Maybe I forgot something from the fall. 

In return, I just nodded, looking at the floor. Chase stepped forward as I backed up, trying to keep the space between us. 

“Brielle, I-” his voice broke. He let out a disappointed breath. 

“No,” I whispered, holding up a hand. I turned and walked back to the class I needed to be in, clearing my mind. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

TEN YEARS AGO

“Truth or dare?” 

“Truth,” I said after thinking for some time. I smiled, readying myself for the question. 

“Okay,” Adilynn responded. “Hmm… oh, I know! Where do you see yourself in ten years?” 

“Why ten?” I questioned, giggling. 

“I don’t know; it was the first question that popped into my head. Just answer it!” Adilynn exclaimed. 

“Hmm…” I thought to myself. “Graduating high school with you and going to college with you, too.” 

“Me too!” Adilynn shouted. 

After we finished playing the game of Truth or Dare, we discussed our future with each other. We plan on traveling the world together and going to the same college. We had talked about this before, but not in-depth like this. 

I hope our plan sticks. 

But sometimes, things change. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

PRESENT DAY

Seven.

I pull out my bulletin board from deep inside my closet after school and tear off all the awards and celebrations that I had hung on it years ago. I retrieved my scissors, thumbtacks, and red string from my desk drawer. On my computer, I printed out school photos of Adilynn, Chase, and James from the past yearbook. Adilynn’s was from our sophomore year, though.

I pinned each of their pictures on the board and connected them with the string, writing notes for each of them showing their personal or social connections. Adilynn and Chase had nothing that I knew of, but she did have something with James. 

He’s her ex-boyfriend. After he found out she cheated on him with Daniel, who cheated on me with her, he broke up with her. In a bright pink highlighter, I wrote “EX-BOYFRIEND” on a sticky note. I wrapped a red string around the thumbtacks of James and Adilynn’s photos, linking the dots. James is the number one suspect in the murder at this point.

As I wrapped the yarn, my phone started to ring. I pulled it out of my pocket to see who was calling. The display name said UNKNOWN CALLER. My finger hovered over the end call button but quickly moved over to answer. 

“Hello?” I said in a deep voice, careful not to reveal my identity. I ran my fingers through my hair in distress. There was heavy breathing on the other end. I pulled the phone away from my ear and was about to hang up, but a voice called out. 

“Brielle Elizabeth Craw.” 

“This is,” I confirmed. I bit my lip, exposing the metallic taste of blood. 

“I need you on the next flight to Oranjestad,” the man said. 

“J-James?” I croaked. How dare he call me after the fight? And how does he have my number?

“That’s right. Now, I need you here, right now,” he responded. 

“Oranjestad? As in Aruba?” I questioned. That was the last vacation that we went on before her death. “Why?”

“You’ll find out when you get here,” he said with suspicion in his voice. I let out a breath after thinking for a while. 

“I’ll be there.” 

I hung up the call and dialed another number. After one ring, the line picked up. 

“Hello?” Chase answered. 

“You need to come here right now,” I demanded. 

“Is it important?” he interrogated. 

“We’re going on vacation.” 

• • •

Chase arrived at my house one hour later. He unloaded his obnoxiously large suitcase and rolled it up the driveway where I stood. I had packed him a bag filled with Tyler’s clothes, knowing he wouldn’t bring items for the proper temperatures. 

“You overpacked,” I remarked, raising an eyebrow. I rested my hand on my hip, watching him struggle with his suitcase up the driveway. “Leave that here.” 

“What?” he asked, confused and out of breath. I rolled out another case from the garage and gave it to him. “What is this?” 

“Clothes for you. I figured you wouldn’t know what to pack, so I packed for you,” I informed. 

“Would’ve been nice for you to tell me,” Chase retorted. He then followed me around my house to a part I’d never taken him to. This was our helicopter and jet launch pad. “You have a private jet?” 

“I’ve got things no other has.” 

We boarded the plane, and I instructed the pilot to land in Oranjestad. He nodded and waited for the rest of the flight crew to board and take off. I sat on a chair across from Chase. The inside of the plane was white and gray, with hints of silver. Real silver, of course. There were also red floral arrangements laid out carefully around the interior. It consisted of luxurious chairs, sofas, and bedrooms. The pilot said the flight would take approximately seven hours, nonstop. 

The pilot took off, and everything inside shifted gracefully, including Chase and I. The first hour and a half involved silence between us besides the whirring of the engines. He sat on a lounge chair on the other side of the plane from me. We need to talk about what happened. Maybe I should lead the conversation. 

As I opened my mouth to start the talk, Chase arose and entered the restroom. Great. Now I have time to think about what I want to say. 

Chase, I think what happened back there was unnecessary. I’m sorry I’ve been so reckless around you and am hurting you. If you promise to stop treating me like a child, I can quit acting like one. 

The door to the bathroom opened, and I stood. Chase froze as he walked past the threshold, his hand still on the doorknob. Okay, just like I practiced.

“Chase, I think wh-” I began. My words were interrupted by him rushing forward and hugging me. He held me as if he found me after I was lost forever. And of course, I wrapped my arms around him. A sob broke out of my chest. He buried his nose into my hair as he inhaled deeply. That was the moment I knew everything would go back to normal. Nothing would be wrong. It would just be Chase and me, fighting through this terrible thing called life. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

Six.

We landed in Oranjestad seven hours later, which was the next day. It was a smooth ride, besides a bit of turbulence. The time raced by like a car. The air was extremely humid, very different from the brisk Montana air. The water droplets hung in the air. 

Once we loaded into the SUV, the worker sitting in the passenger’s seat plugged an address into the GPS. It leads us to a bridge with a gate, closing it out from the public. The driver pulls up closer and talks to the security guard sleeping in the booth. 

“Sleepin’ on the job, eh?” The guard perked up and apologized. “Let us through.” He immediately pressed a few buttons inside and the gate opened. I remembered this was the private island off the main island. The bridge was about ½ mile long. It took us to the Victorian-style house. 

Palm trees and bushes lined the driveway leading up to the house. We came to the horseshoe in the driveway. Inside it was a water fountain, spitting out water for display. The front doorway had a grand arch to pull it all together. The outside of the house was made of pink brick. 

As we pulled up to the front door, the driver exited the car and opened the doors for Chase and me. I saw James and another man, whom I do not recall, waiting by the door. Chase and I approached them. 

“Glad you could make it,” James greeted. “Chase,” he said as he nodded toward him. Chase gave him a slight smile. James looked down to see Chase and me holding hands. I didn’t even realize we were until I saw it. 

“Yes, but why?” I questioned, raising a brow. I let go of Chase’s hand and crossed my arms. I then shifted my weight from one leg to the other. 

“Ah, yes. This,” James clasped his hands together, then, motioned to the other man, “is Coro. He has some evidence that may help in your little investigation.” Coro bowed his head at each of us. 

He had very dark skin and wore a light pink polo with palm trees and cargo pants. His sandals looked as if they hadn’t been replaced in the past twenty years.  

“And, how did you get into contact with James?” I asked Coro. 

“I have a friend that lives in your village. He heard about what had happened two years ago, but could only reach out to me by paper and pen,” Coro said with a very thick African accent. “He sent me a letter telling me everything that happened. I told him that I had evidence in the murder investigation.

“The letters took forever to send since it is so far across the world,” he continued. “I would’ve gotten this to you much earlier if it weren’t for the communication delay. I am so very sorry about your sister, Ms. Craw.” I smiled, remembering all the good times we had together down here. 

“Thank you,” I say, politely. I snapped back into reality and asked, “So what is it that you have for us?” 

“Follow me,” Coro said, waving a hand toward us as we followed him into the house. The inside had many windows shining light through them, illuminating the grand staircase. Most of the inside was pink with hints of yellow and green. Some windows were stained glass, also letting in colorful beams of light. 

When was the last time I was in this house? Probably three years ago. I remember stepping out of my room onto the balcony every morning and looking at the sun that rose over the horizon. The crystal clear, blue water, and the white sands of the beach made me feel like I was in my dream destination. I was. Never was there a bad memory that hung around in the corners of this house. Aruba was our escape. Our comfort zone.

Now, this was no comfort zone, but a place of evidence. A crime scene. Don’t think like that.

Don’t do that

Coro led us to Adilynn’s suite of the house. It looked like a movie studio. Looking out the patio doors, you could see the beach and the ocean. Her room was perfect.

Except for the yellow police tape wrapped around her bed, dresser, windows, and almost everything in sight. 

“Here,” Coro said, walking over to a bag. He picked it up and set it in my hands. It was a large kitchen knife. 

“What is this?” I asked, but already knew what it was. But I didn’t know what it was. 

“Could be a weapon in the murder,” Coro informed. He had his hands in his pockets and shrugged his shoulders. I shook my head and frowned. 

“No, that’s not possible. We were in Montana when she was killed, not down here,” I said. I dropped it to the floor. 

“Brielle, what are you doing? That’s evidence!” James yelled. Chase and I turned around to see him behind us. 

“Did you hear the girl? The murder was at home, not here!” Chase yelled back. I could tell he was losing his patience with James, as he had with me earlier. 

“This is useless,” I scoffed in disgust. Chase and I walked away back to the car. “We’re leaving.” James and Coro ran after us. 

“Wait!” they both yelled. I shut the car door in their face and ordered the driver to leave. 

• • •

Seven and a half hours later, Chase and I returned to the snowy mountains of Bozeman. I was not happy to be back. We walked through the front door and, surprisingly, my mother stood in the hallway. 

“Brielle!” she let out a breath and ran to me. She hugged me in her warm arms. She let go but kept her hands on my shoulders and looked me deep in the eyes. “I’ve been worried sick about you! Where have you been?!” 

“Uhh… well, where do I start?” I looked at Chase. 

“Who’s this?” she asked. 

“This,” I gestured to Chase, “is my boyfriend, Chase Loon.” Her glasses reflected the windows as she stood with a gaping mouth. 

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend!” she exclaimed. 

“Well, you’re never around, so…” I said, looking to the side. 

“Brielle Elizabeth Craw, don’t you dare say that to me EVER again, do you understand me?” I nodded. This made me debate telling her where we were. “Where were you?” 

“Well, yesterday at, oh, I don’t know… 4 pm?” I looked to Chase for confirmation.

“I’d say 4:30 ish.” 

“4:30, I got a call and we flew down to Aruba. James, a guy from school, thought he had some evidence of Adilynn’s murder, but it turned out it wasn’t. So then we flew back this morning. We just got home 10 minutes ago.” My mother’s mouth dropped to the floor. 

“You did all of that by yourselves?” she asked. Chase and I nodded. “I cannot believe that.” And then, she walked away. 

“That was odd,” Chase started. “Does she do that often?” 

“Quite.”

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

My phone rang out in the silent air, jolting me from my thoughts. I flipped it over to see the screen. Once again, it read UNKNOWN CALLER. I really should add James to my contacts. With a sigh, I pressed the green answer button and held it up to my ear. 

“Hello?” I answered casually. 

“Hello, this is prairie gardens funeral service,” the pre-recorded message said. My heart skipped a beat in my chest. “We’re sorry to inform you of a loved one's death. Please press one to reveal the name of the deceased.” I’d never pushed a button on a phone faster in my life. Is it Chase? Katie? Tyler? Mom or Dad? I put the call on speaker, then set it down on the counter. I rubbed my hands on my temples in distress. “We’re sorry, but we cannot find the name on this file.”

“No,” I said, dragging out the vowel sound. I frantically pressed ‘1’ again and again but the same information came out. I hung up and sat there for a second. I picked up my phone and chucked it at the wall. Technology splattered across the blank canvas, painting a horrific portrait. I swore at myself, realizing the mistake I had just made. Tears swelled in my eyes and flooded down my cheek. I threw myself across the kitchen island where I sat, and wept. 

Remembering we had spare phones in the office, I found one that I took for myself. I found my old SIM card in the mess on the floor and replaced it with a new phone. Thankfully, it worked. The phone powered on and the home screen was loaded with texts and phone calls from Chase. It was a different variation of “call me!”, “We need to talk!”, “did you get it too?”, “CALL ME!”. I immediately called him back and he picked up on the first ring. He must’ve been staring at his phone, waiting for this moment to happen. 

“Brielle?” Chase whispered, breathless. 

“Yes, it’s me,” I responded, my voice wavering. I smiled, hearing his voice. “Did you get the calls too?”

“Yeah, I, uh, thought it was you,” Chase said, clearing his throat. He let out a shaky breath. 

“I did too. Do you know who it is?” I asked. I ran my fingers through my golden and greasy hair. 

“No. But it said it’s this Thursday. Which is tomorrow.” 

“Why so soon?” 

“I don’t know. I’ll pick you up at eleven tomorrow for it. Sounds good?” 

“Yeah, sure.” After I hung up, I went to my closet to search for an outfit. I was not going to wear a dress, I thought as I eyed up my dresses. Instead, I found nice dress pants and an appropriate blouse. 

I went to bed that night with ten thousand different thoughts in my mind. I don’t know who it could be! When I almost fell asleep, it came to me. 

Could it be me?

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Five.

Chase picked me up at eleven o’clock sharp the next day. He wore a black suit with a maroon tie. The same outfit as the formal. The funeral service was held in a large church downtown. I’d never been to this one before. 

We parked and walked up to the front of the church. The line for the wake was out the door. There were many businessmen and women in the line. I recognized most of them since Dad worked with them all at some point in his career. 

The line moved rather quickly. Once Chase and I got into the heated building, my fingers unfroze and I could wave to people I knew. Lots of them gave me their condolences for my sister and this funeral. 

No pictures or signs were saying whom the service was for. I was merely disappointed at the lack of information. 

As we got closer to the front, I could see flowers upon flowers placed on tables. I looked into the front pue and saw little children crying. Must be relatives. 

The family stood beside the coffin, receiving hugs and handshakes from people that probably didn’t mean it. My heart started to beat faster, as I knew we were almost there. 

When the people in front of me cleared out, that’s when all my questions were answered. 

And there lay James, his arms crossed, dead in a casket. 

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

TWO MONTHS AGO

“Hey!” 

I heard a boy shout from behind us. The man holding me put me on the ground but kept a tight grip. He pulled a knife from his pocket and held it to my throat. 

“No!” the man interrupted, his grip becoming tighter on the knife. My breath caught in my throat, making it even harder to breathe. I swallowed and squeezed my eyes shut. I slightly opened my eyes and from the corner of my eye, I saw the other man rise from the ground. He was about to charge at the boy from behind. I kicked the man holding me in the kneecap, and he grunted in pain, letting go of me. He dropped the knife, and I picked it up from the ground, pointing it at his face. The boy turned right as he was about to be attacked and fought off the other man. 

“Who are you?” I demanded. The boy had the man in a chokehold, asking him the same thing. The man I was facing didn’t respond. I could see the flesh of his cheeks rising against his deep, brown eyes from under the ski mask. 

An evil, delirious, wicked grin. 

“You know who I am,” he retorted. 

“James.” 

“What?” I faked disbelief. 

“How could you be so sure? How do you know?” I asked, holding the tip of the knife to his throat. 

“Everything?” I questioned. 

“Everything.” 

“You’re gonna regret this!” Chase yelled. 

CHAPTER THIRTY

PRESENT DAY

“It was you.” 

I looked over to Chase, hoping he would prove me wrong. We stood outside the church in the nipping cold wind. He let out a breath, and it became visible in the air. 

“No,” he said, attempting to reassure me. He shook his head weakly. 

“It was all you! You told James that day I met you that he would ‘regret this’, so you killed him.” I could not believe him. 

“Brielle, I did not kill him, you have to trust me. I would never do such a thing. I can’t even picture myself doing that! And why would you accuse me? After all, you’re always the one getting involved with him. Getting in all those fights, physical and verbal. How could we be sure that you didn’t kill him?”

“Chase, how could you say something like that? He taunts me about the death of my sister. Of course, I despise him, but I don’t hate him. I could not bring myself to murder someone!” I shouted, maybe a little too loud. 

“You’re right, I’m sorry.” Chase held out his arms for me. 

“No,” I stepped back, holding my hand up to my chest, up to my locket. “What has gotten into you?”

“N-nothing, Brielle. Everything is fine,” he stuttered. He rubbed the back of his neck intensely. He only does that when he’s nervous. 

“You did do it, didn’t you?” I accused. Chase only looked me in the eyes. “Didn’t you?!” I widened my eyes when he shook his head, still denying the truth.

I wrinkled my nose and frowned with tears stinging my eyes. I shook my head at him in disgust. I backed up and away from Chase. I walked back home, leaving him in the parking lot. 

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE

Four. 

I still couldn’t believe him. 

He killed James. 

How could he do that?! Now, all of my evidence is gone. James had it, and now no one knows where it is. I will never know who killed Adilynn. It was probably Chase too. I bet that she was the start of his killing streak. The image of Chase’s face in my mind makes me sick. Sick to believe I ever thought I loved him. 

I gave him a second chance, but he messed it up. That was his last chance with me. I am back to square one, lonely and with nothing. I’ll just have to do this investigation myself. 

I pull out my bulletin board, once again. Chase is now our biggest focus. James is dead, so I don’t know if I should cross him off yet. I’ll just have to take matters into my own hands. 

I put on my winter coat and boots and headed out to my car. I then drove to the police station. When I arrived, there were a decent amount of people in the station. 

The walls were white, splattered with missing posters. Amongst them was an empty square, where my sister should be. Chairs were pushed up against the wall, filled with anxious people. Phones were ringing off the hook as the secretaries struggled to keep up with them. People demanded immediate attention with fury. Why are they so busy?

The front desk workers weren’t paying much attention to the people slipping in and out the doors. I took my chance and walked right through. I walked down the windy hallways and found the sheriff’s office. I hesitated to knock on the door but proceeded. 

“Come in!” a voice yelled. I busted the door open to see a woman sitting with piles of paper on her desk. “Ms- Ms. Craw, may I help you?” Sheriff Palmer sat up straighter in her chair. 

“I’d like to file a report for a suspect of murder,” I said. Her facial expression changed from shocked to intrigued. 

“Take a seat.” Palmer stood up and retrieved the appropriate papers for the file. She had dark skin and hair that matched. She sat back down and started writing. “Okay, can you simply explain who and why.”

“I think Chase Loon murdered James Smith. A few months ago, James attacked me in the school parking lot-”

“I remember that. We took him in, but his father bailed him,” Sheriff Palmer said in her southeastern accent.

“Correct. But after Chase came in and helped, he yelled to James, ‘You will regret this’. Chase was the last person with James before his death. I do not believe this is a coincidence. I am sure Chase Loon murdered James Smith in the manor with the slingshot,” I added sarcastically. Sheriff Palmer snickered as she leaned back in her chair and folded her hands. “You think this is a joke?” 

“I think you’re concocting a movie plot. Ms. Craw, the autopsy came back. He had a heart attack. There were no marks or wounds on his body. Nothing,” Palmer said. “It’s all in yo’ heaaad.”

I left her office without another word. I am back to square one, yet again. 

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

Three. 

I lay in my bed with nothing to do. I have no friends. No boyfriend. No family. Nothing. I’m just a cluster of cells in a world too big for me. 

I decided to “mourn” over the absence of my family, so I went down to the basement. I opened the door to find the light already on. That’s odd. I shrugged my shoulders and continued. I walked down the rickety wooden steps to the concrete floor. I saw a figure standing next to all of the boxes. I squatted down to hide. A shiny object caught my eye. I looked to see that it was a box cutter. I grabbed it to protect myself. The person continued to move around and go through boxes. 

I crept around the shelves and boxes to get to the person. I found myself standing right behind them,  flicking open the knife. The blonde-headed person turned around. I dropped the knife and fell to the ground. 

“Katie,” I looked up at her. Her face was covered in fear. I cannot believe I almost hurt her. She held a half-filled glass bottle in her right hand. “Katie? What are you doing with that?” Her pupils were dilated, larger than I’d ever seen on a human. 

“Who are you?” She said slowly, slurring her words. Her breath smelt like alcohol. 

“It’s me, Brielle, your sister,” I responded. 

“No, you’re not. I am not the sister of a murderer.” The words hit me like a brick wall. I squeezed the air out of my chest, begging for more.  “Get out of here before I get you out of here.” 

I reached for the knife as I ran up the stairs and shut the door. I did the thing I did not want to do, shut off the light and locked the door. I closed my eyes and let out a breath. 

I went up to a guest bedroom on the third floor, since Katie might come looking for me. I did not want to get in her way again. She’s drunk, and probably high too. How can a picture-perfect law school student go from straight A’s to drugs? This was not the Katie I knew. 

Lost in my thoughts, wandering in the hallways, I ran into Tyler. Now what is going to be wrong with him? “Tyler,” I said, relieved. I ran into his arms, and he wrapped them around me. 

“What happened to you?” he asked. I simply shook my head. “Come with me.” We went onto the second floor to his bedroom. He closed the door and cracked a window to get fresh air in. 

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” 

“I feel like I’ve seen one too,” I responded. He sat on his bed next to me. The walls were painted a dark blue, and the floor was untidy. 

“What’s that supposed to mean?” he interrogated. 

“I went downstairs just to look around and I ran into Katie down there. She was holding a bottle of some type of alcohol, whiskey, or something. Her eyes were huge and she didn’t recognize me at first. I said, ‘It’s me Brielle, your sister’ and she said, ‘I am not the sister of a murderer’.” I explained.

“Are you sure that was even Katie? Like that’s totally not her,” Tyler said. 

“Positive. It was her scent of perfume and her clothes.”

“I don’t even know what to say about that. I’m so sorry she acted like that toward you. I just can’t picture our older sister, our role model, drinking.”

“I know, me neither. Mind if I crash in here tonight?” I changed subjects. 

“I’ll get the snacks.”

CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

Two.

I woke up sometime around 8 a.m. It felt nice to sleep in for once. I didn’t really have anything to worry about. 

The sun shone through the windows, warming the floor where I lay. I sat up to see Tyler still in bed. I decided it was time for him to wake up. 

“Wake up, Ty. It’s time to get up.” I shook his arm, but he didn’t move. His whole body was limp. He rolled his head over to look at me. Crimson-red blood smeared around his face and poured out of his mouth. His eyes were wide open and bloodshot. He then whispered a word.

“Murderer…”

I opened my eyes quickly and sat up in a cold sweat. It was dark out. I stood up and hovered over Tyler’s bed. I checked the alarm clock, and it read 1:30 a.m. He was passed out under the covers. His arms were sprawled across the blankets. I shook him awake and he woke up. 

“What?” he mumbled. Tyler rubbed his eyes and looked at me. No blood. 

“I just wanted to make sure you were okay.”

“Yeah-yeah I’m fine. I’ll ask in the morning.” Tyler flipped over and went back to bed. I grabbed the knife and headed towards the door. There was no chance of me falling back asleep after that nightmare, so I left the room. Insomnia gets the best of me. 

I wandered into a bathroom and flipped the light on. I shut and locked the door. I looked in the mirror. I looked terrible. Dark circles underlined my eyes. My hair a mess. Red eyes. I’m a zombie with peach skin and blonde hair. 

I left the bathroom after freshening up and went to Adilynn’s room again. I closed the door behind me, knowing Katie’s room was just down the hallway. I leaned a chair up against the doorknob to prevent her from coming in. 

I walked around the vacant room, not knowing what I was searching for. The room was the same as it had been the last time I was there. The laptop was open and the desk chair pulled out. 

I noticed there was a full-length mirror hung on the wall next to the bay window. I looked into it and tilted my head. The reflection did not follow. And that was not me in the mirror. It was Adilynn. I lifted my hand but the mirror didn’t. 

“Who are you?” I asked. 

“I am you,” she replied. “And you are me.” The image stepped closer and reached out to me. A ghostly hand grabbed mine and pulled it up. It folded my hand into it.

Remembering I had the box cutter in my right hand, I raised it and threatened the mirror. “You are only hurting yourself,” the girl looked at me calmly. 

I launched the knife at the mirror, shattering the glass. Cracks formed disfigured reflections of me. Not Adilynn. Me. I stepped closer, glass crunching under my bare feet. I didn’t even notice the pain. I ran my fingertips over the crevices, confused. 

“I am only hurting myself.” 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

One. 

One more day until it’s all over. I wonder what tomorrow will be like. Will it be full of sorrow? Happiness? Will my family throw a party? Probably not. I think they’re done throwing parties. 

I could just sit outside in the freezing weather all day. Freezing would be better than seeing people “grieving” over my sister. No one bothered even to tell me they were “sorry” for my loss when it happened. It was all towards my siblings and parents. It’s because they think I’m a killer. The audacity of some people to think I would ever do that. It almost makes me laugh. 

I spent the day in my room, preparing myself for tomorrow. I sat in the chair in front of my vanity, looking at my imperfections. What was up with Adilynn’s mirror yesterday? It was talking to me. It grabbed me! Half of me is glad I ruined the mirror since it could be “haunted”, but the other half is upset I disturbed her room again. It was probably the right decision. 

I realized I was still wearing the necklace that Chase gave me. My hand made its way up to my neck and ripped it off. I sucked my teeth in pain as the chain nicked my neck. I had little remorse for doing it. Suddenly, there was a knock on my door. I didn’t answer it. 

“Brielle! I know you’re in there!” Katie yelled. I gasped and rushed to lock the door. I then hid in my closet but left a crack open to see. 

I heard a loud, earsplitting shot. My ears started to ring. Wood splinters flew through the air. Katie barged in with a gun in her hand and a bottle in the other. Her shirt was full of holes and her jeans were ripped. Her blonde curls had been turned into a rat's nest. 

Katie ripped through the blankets on my bed and belongings to find me. She then made her way to the closet. I rushed backward, hiding behind a dress bag and pillows. I held my breath and watched as she tore apart my wardrobe. She let out a scream in anger as she couldn’t find me. She slammed the doors and yelled, “I WILL FIND YOU!”

Once I thought the coast was clear, I exited my hiding space. I fell to the ground when I saw the aftermath. My room was ripped to shreds. Pillows were laying on the floor and my lamp was knocked over. The bulb had broken, leaving glass shards scattered across the floor. Makeup pallets smashed and brushes on the carpet. 

Tyler came running through the door frame and stopped dead in his tracks.  “Oh my god.” I started to cry. He dropped to his knees and hugged me. “What happened?” 

“It was Katie!” I cried. “She came in here and shot the door to open it. She was looking for me,” I coughed. “I hid in the closet and she almost got me.” I rubbed my nose. Tyler pulled me tighter. 

Then we turned at the sound of a click. There Katie stood, safety off. “I knew I would find you. I waited around the corner to hear you come out. I saw you in the closet.” My heart skipped a beat in my chest. Tyler and I stand up, and he stood in front of me. Katie started to slowly walk back and forth. “You took everything from me two years ago. You took Adilynn out of our lives. You are a murderer!”

“Go,” Tyler whispered. I saw my chance to go. I ran to the balcony doors. Katie pointed her gun at me. “BRIELLE!” Tyler shouted. She shot just to the right of me. I covered my head. I didn’t move another inch. I then turned back to face Katie. 

“Now you’re going to get what you deserve,” Katie spoke. She smiled, lifted the weapon, and shot Tyler in the chest. 

“NO!” I yelled at the top of my lungs. Tyler fell backward at the impact. I ran to his aid. Sanguinesous blood poured out of his chest. Hot tears ran down my chest. 

I felt sudden extreme anger toward Katie. I launched my body at her, knocking her over. I continuously punched her in the face. She kept pulling the trigger, sending bullets through the air, piercing the ceiling and the walls. I finally got on top of her and pinned her wrists to the ground. “Drop it,” I said with my teeth clenched. She didn’t budge. “DROP IT!” She finally did as I asked. I took the gun and got off of her. “Out.” I held the gun up at her the whole time. She held her hands up as she walked down the hallway. “Get out of here. I never want to see your face here again.” Katie scurried down the hallway to who knows where. 

I rushed back to Tyler. I started to cry again, although I never stopped. There was a large pool of blood surrounding him. I pumped his chest, in hope his heart would start again. I held my fingers against his wrist, trying to find a pulse. Nothing. 

“Help!” I screamed. “Please, someone help!” I coughed as I cried. Blood coated my hands. And it wasn’t mine. A butler had happened to come walking by, probably from my cry for help. Tyler’s eyes looked up to the ruined ceiling. The butler came running in and dialed 911. 

The police and EMS arrived within minutes and took Tyler’s body out of the room. Jenna and Charles stood by my side and comforted me. I told them everything that happened. 

I went to bed that night in my parent's room, hoping that would be safe enough for me. I did not sleep. I could not stop replaying the scene in my head. I would forever be traumatized by that. 

I will not recognize Katie as my sister. 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

Zero.

Today is the most dreaded time of the year. No, it’s not time for church or the dentist. It’s the two-year mark. It is not my birthday anymore. It is the day people mourn for my family. 

Cards upon cards flood the mailbox, none of which are for me. None were addressed to me. All, “We’re sorry for your loss!” although they never are. And why are they still sending these? It’s been two years!

Families stop by to drop off meals, even though we are multi-billionaires. It is almost like they don’t see a mansion in the middle of the mountains when they pull into the driveway. 

Chase does not bother to stop by today. How immature. He has not talked to me since I found out what he did. Found out the truth. 

I finally found a quiet moment in the house. And so, I took advantage. I sat in the main kitchen, eating a bowl of fruit I found. I pulled out my phone and went to Instagram. My home page was overflowed with people tagging me in posts about my sister. The pictures hurt, seeing the happy person I used to be. 

There was a knock on the door. I looked out the window to see a car driving away. I unlocked the door and looked down. There was an orange envelope with my name. There was no return address on it. I opened the package in a heartbeat. Inside was a letter. 

Happy birthday, Brielle. I couldn’t think of anything to get you, so I hope this will do. Read this first though. 

This is from me. If you don’t know who I am, you will by the end of this letter. I don’t even know where to start. So I guess I’ll start here. 

I am not dead. You may have seen my dead body five days ago. It was a wax figure. I am not a boy from your class. I am an FBI undercover agent. All the info you told me and thought was yours, is not yours anymore. My name is Phillip Rhodes. The evidence you saw me burn was a photocopy. You have the evidence. It’s in your hands, metaphorically and literally. 

On this day of January 18, 2018, Chase Jones Loon and you, Brielle Elizabeth Craw, will be convicted of murder. 

So if I were you, I would drop this letter and stay where you are. 

Look up.

And there stood James Smith. “A job well done, but not done well.” Behind him were lines of snipers, officers, agents, and cars. Their guns clicked as they loaded them and pointed at my skull.

“PUT YOUR HANDS UP!”

EPILOGUE

I’ve always liked hearing the “why” of people’s stories. “Why teach science?” “Why history?” They always have a background. 

I guess I’m still trying to figure out my “why.” 

Why did I kill my sister? 

I don’t know.

Why don’t you know? 

I don’t know. 

This may be the reason I wrap my hands around the cold, rusted metal bars every day, and do the same routine. Wake up, put on old orange slacks, eat (oh, great, it’s potatoes again), lurk in the shadows, repeat. 

I see him around corners, too--hiding in the silhouettes of other people, now with a sleeve of tattoos. Chase Loon did, in fact, kill someone, not James, obviously. He helped me in the murder of my sister. 

But if there’s one thing I can take away from this, it’s

jealousy is toxic. 

the end