The Road Home | Teen Ink

The Road Home

February 1, 2023
By Kvaler, Fairborn, Ohio
More by this author
Kvaler, Fairborn, Ohio
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."


Author's note:

This story started as a small creative writing project for a school assignment, but I got so invested in it and wanted to write more. I may in the future expand on this story, but I definitely plan to write more short thriller stories in general. After all, I love a good, suspenseful thriller.

The author's comments:

(Introductory foreword)

Faces yet long lost, may still be within, deep-rooted in your soul, let it begin, and become whole.

Kamchatka Krai; Russia 1989

It had been a long, slow week at the manufacturing plant that Pechal had only been working at for several weeks. Pechal led a life similar to that of a nomad in a wicked and cold world that had been nothing but unforgiving to both him, and his wallet. Promptly, as he was cleaning one of the mixing machines, the cold, metal walls of the facility started caving in! Pechal panicked, falling to the moist, recently mopped floor. As he got up from the rusted tile, he realized the walls were in fact not moving. 

 "Pechal!" His dearest friend Artyom called out. Pechal had a falling out with his dear friend after graduating from high school five years prior, but since the two had met again at work, they became inseparable. 

"Get 'nuff sleep last night Pechal?" "Yeah yeah, I'm fine." He had responded. "What's the point of getting such sleep anyway, we're only paid less than the minimum, and half these machines don't even work." Pechal and Artyom had been working as caretakers at the Mikhail Cement plant which had seldom received business in the past months. Due to the decline of cement and concrete mixing in the area, the industry had become unprofitable. 

"Then why stay here, Pechal? I know you are capable of great things, my tovarisch! You graduated top of the class and wanted to go on and create a lasting impact on the world! Remember? What happened then?" Pechal, abashed by the sudden inquiry of his dear friend, who he had not fully caught up with about such a topic, stumbled to answer. "I just...didn't have the money. My parents didn't either. Hell, my father didn't even have a job then, and my mother was just a secretary at a damn hotel. We barely had enough money for Kasha, it didn't help that I didn't work either." Artyom was taken aback by the answer he had just heard. Artyom could not think of how to respond. "I'm...sorry Pechal, I didn't know it was that bad." "And I cannot leave this job, although I would give my most prized possession to find a better job, I cannot find anything out here. It's not like this town is even remotely large, we have a few lumber mills and a few small shops and that's it." "Maybe you could move back to the town where your parents are? There has to be something out there that would pay decently." Artyom had countered. "Well, I'd either have to move in with my parents or find some cheap hotel that reeks of garbage even more than my current place. That town isn't the cleanest of areas." Remarked Pechal. "Maybe I'll do some property searching this weekend."

Later that night, as Pechal lay attempting to rest, he had thought back to what his dear friend had to say. Maybe it was time for him to return to his hometown. It had been many sleepless intervals before he decided to get up to occupy his mind. 

He lethargically roamed into the small living room of his cramped apartment. Although he hated having to reside in such a low-end living space, he called it home. After all, it had everything he needed; A sink that sometimes worked, a stove that could catch fire at any moment, and a bed that squeaked profusely at the slightest gesture. Pechal glanced over and gazed at his ancient Acer Aspire computer which had not been turned on in about 10 years. It was a pathetic excuse for a computer but got the job done when need be. If anything, this pretty much described Pechal's entire surroundings. His job, his residence, and his pride. Pathetic, but enough to make a man not digress into insanity. Such a man however does not live the life imagined by many. In fact, quite the contrary to such beliefs. Pechal has learned to make the best of it and accepts the fact that no matter how hard he tries he cannot escape the poverty that plagues him. He had made the decision to abdicate his current activities, (which had only consisted of slouching on his beaten-down sofa and eating dill crisps) and to get up and search his hometown for work online. Never in a thousand years did Pechal believe he would have to do such a thing, but fate has led him here. As he dropped into his office chair situated in the darkness he pressed the dusty power button on his computer tower. The fans within struggled to start among all of the cobwebs stuck to the plastic In due course, the fans had begun to spin. It seemed as though it had been an hour before the desktop was finally displayed on the monitor. Pechal hovered his mouse over and clicked on Internet Explorer, which subsequently took some 16 seconds to start. He then entered into the search bar, "Esso Village job postings". He was gobsmacked by what was revealed to him. It showed that all of the shops had been closed indefinitely. He lamented at the fact that maybe his hometown is not the place to return to after all. He could not write a letter to his parents to inquire about the current situation, as the post office was closed in the area too. Pechal had concluded that he had to figure this out himself. The next day he planned to set off to his hometown. But until then, he lay to rest.

It seemed as though he was only laying for a moment when abruptly, he opened his eyes and he was in his birth home. He gazed around at the vine-covered scaffolds of what remained of the front. The decaying wood and organic matter reeked to a degree that the smell was indistinguishable from the rotting animal carcasses strewn about the vicinity. All of which had strange sapling-like protrusions growing from within them. Some expanded out of the chest of the animals, while others made their way out other orifices, burrowing their roots within the carcass and ground beneath. Pechal could only stare with wide eyes, taken aback by what he was gazing upon. He reluctantly walked toward the door of the house, (or what remained of it) and attempted to turn the doorknob. As he performed this action, he heard a strange noise coming from the house. It was a thudding noise. It started slow at first but began to get alarmingly louder and quicker. Pechal struggled to make out what it was until it was too late. It was footsteps! The door bashed open, knocking Pechal to the ground with snarling and creaking coming from inside. As he hit the ground, he was back. He had awakened in a cold sweat, without any blankets on. Pechal was normally not the type to have nightmares, which made the vision even more peculiar to him. Pechal figured the worst he could do was dwell on the vision that was bestowed upon him by his mind. Instead, he focused on more important matters, such as a shower, and a hot breakfast. 

Pechal plopped his feet onto the cold, concrete floor of his bedroom. He stumbled tiredly through the hall as he made his way down to the refrigerator. As he opened it, he could not help but notice a strange smell emitting from the area. Pechal eventually stumbled upon a deceased rat pinned under his trash can. He let out a gasp of disgust at the rodent. 

"Jesus, how'd you even get under there?" He put the rat into a paper plastic bag and put it into the trash can, too lazy to bring it to the complex's dumpster. "Now, back to breakfast."

Pechal then opened the refrigerator door again, this time hoping for more fruitful outcomes. He gazed at the refined yet very limited selection he had provided himself. Although he was a poor man, he had a refined taste, and with that came whatever positives and negatives it bestows on such a poverty-stricken man. Pechal grabbed eggs, leftover ham, aged cheese, and his last pieces of bread from the previous week. As he turned the taped-on handle of his gas stove, the flame sputtered and flickered until a constant heat was emitted. Pechal had a cast iron pan that he had received from his grandmother when he was but a boy, and he has held onto and cooked with it ever since. As the pan heated up, he glanced at a family photo he had framed on the counter. The photo, covered in dust, showed Pechal, his brother, and his parents outside their small Khrushchyovka apartment. He thought about how his mother would make the best breakfasts for the young boys and father. Pechal vividly pictures the delicious breakfast sandwiches filled with cheeses and meats from the local deli. The ham he had taken from the fridge was of much inferior quality compared to his hometown deli. It was an average, packaged, commercially abused brand that was cheaper than dirt, but still edible. As he placed the ham into the smoking heat of the pan, a pleasant aroma filled the room. This further reminded Pechal of his home. He now was looking forward to returning to his home after all this time.
Pechal, with a wistful gaze, leaves his dank and dilapidated living space and faces the seemingly infinite flight of stairs below him. As he makes his way down, his mind drifts off to his younger days. He remembers specifically when his mom told him a folktale about "dissolute foliage". The stories fascinated and terrified young Pechal. One particular night was the most traumatic. He could not catch sleep for the life of him, for his mind, filled with anxiety, left him paranoid of a deep dark force of nature. That night, he got out of his decayed bed and walked around his disturbingly humble slum, facing the stranger that is the frosty night, for it would help to clear his mind. Though something much darker, something that has continued to haunt him ever since took place. 

Just then, he trips on the last step, freeing him of reliving that traumatic time, and hears a voice.
"Whatch ya step," The voice remarked. Pechal nervously chuckles at the man and walks off silently. 

He glances back to get a better look at the man to find that the man is gone. He quickly brushes it off, blaming it on lack of sleep. He makes his way to the public parking spaces to find his car even more rusted than when he left it the previous night. Not that it was in pristine condition, to begin with. He gets in it, puts in the ignition, and listens to the sputtering engine for a few seconds before finally, the car began to run properly. 

A voice on his radio speaks;
"Please note; gas prices have gone up more than average since the beginning dissolution of the former Soviet states. In unrelated news, people have been reporting strange-" 

Pechal switches the station to silence, how he likes it. His eyes were glued to the road, trees in his peripheral like spirits reaching out from the just barely sunlit forest. He can't help but feel a presence in his back seat, but he couldn't see it from his rearview mirror. As he drives and the sun slowly creeps out from the beyond, he is slightly disturbed by the lack of anyone else on the road. He thinks to himself,

"Isn't this working hour? Where are the cars?"

Normally at this time of day, Pecha would expect there to be cars strewn about the road, either locked in traffic or making their daily commute to work. He tries to ignore it though.

Just then a deer leaps out from the woods, and just barely is he able to break. He struggles to retain his composure as he starts driving again. Just as he makes it to the town where his parents are, he reevaluates the encounter, he couldn't help but ponder that something looked off about that deer, its antlers seemed to grow too large and too dark for a natural buck. 

"Damn. Time to walk." He gets out of the only familiar comfort that remained; his vehicle, and greets the unknown. 

The air is dense and smells of rot. He quickly shuffles his brain to remember which block his parents reside in, but it is impossible to differentiate directions toward his destination. Just then, he feels the same threatening fear he felt from that night as a child, only this time, the memory is something he'd much prefer. As he makes his way as well as he can through the destroyed blocks, he feels the sensation of many eyes looking upon him that cannot be seen. He stops for a second as he hears what sounds to be a muffled breath from underneath. To his terror, he sees human eyes, stuck in the ground, its body covered in disgusting growths. Pechal jumps in terror at the horrific sight. Pechal says nothing as he gazes in shock at the man.

"Faces yet long lost, may still be within, deep-rooted in your soul, let it begin, and become whole." The man lets out a final grunt, before promptly ceasing any further movement. 

Pechal stares at the ground in which he lay, no longer feeling terror, but instead solemnity of what just took place. He knows not what to do next, but feels an intense seduction by the unknown to find out what is happening. The fate of his parents fuels his desire to continue.

As Pechal continues down the road, he hears what sounds like banging coming from a direction he can't discern as it echoes throughout the desolate streetway. Continuing, though, he sees a figure in the distance.

"Finally!" Pechal optimistically rushes towards the figure, though, immediately the figure runs at him, mumbling like a madman.

"Der'mo!" Pechal yells and changes his direction. The man screeches incomprehensibly to himself as he pursues.

 Twisting and turning down the infinitely pitch-black, griming, and slushy streets, eventually he hits a dead end. As the man continues, he gets closer and closer to a cornered Pechal. The mumbling man's appearance can now be made out. His body was deformed by roots, his arm conjoined to a twisted stick, doubling the length of his arm. His eyelids had long been stitched shut by the persistent vines, his eyes dehydrated and crusted, hung from where their sockets would have been, and his mouth was fully agape, kept open by stiff black roots tugging at his jaw in a heart-beat rhythm. 

Just in time, Pechal sees a fire exit leading from an open window of one of the damned structures he's all too familiar with. He rushes up and to his surprise, the mumbling creature cannot make its way up to him. As Pechal shuts the window, he feels safe at last.

This comfort wouldn't last long, as the cramped and dank room he now finds himself in is filled with similarly disfigured entities. Though, they seem to be unaware of his presence, in a hibernating-like state in contorted positions. Pechal slowly creeps his way around the figures, making his way to an open doorway. He finds himself in a hallway, lit eerily by candles, placed by an unknown benefactor. As he makes his way he finds a room empty with only a bed. He walks in, bringing some candles in with him. Pechal can lock the overgrown and rusted door along with the window. He stares off into one of the dark voids of a corner, thinking to himself,


"Man, I never should have come here."

After a little while, he sits, then lays, then sleeps on the crusty bed. He wakes up, not where he previously found himself. Another apartment perchance, but not the same. He sees to his right a kitchen similar to that of his childhood home. As he walks in, that familiar, homely smell greets him. A smile, almost, forms on his forever-disturbed grimace. He walks over to the fridge strangely kept clean and untainted by the roots. He opens it and sees food spots a well preserved looking piece of veal, untouched by the floral nuisance. Pechal grabs this piece and  consumes it  as quietly as he can.

"Who's there!?" A man shouts behind him.

Muffled by the food in his mouth Pechal lets out but a squeak. He notices a shotgun pointed directly at him. "I'm not one of them I swear!" 

"Uh huh. So said the last one, at least I think. I shot him." The firearm-wielding man states.'

"Listen, listen. I haven't seen any normal people yet besides you, we need to work together. You got food, I got a brain. We should help one another."
"Yeah yea, sure, whatever. As long as you help me with one thing. You see, there are these two strangely uncontaminated bodies in the basement, that I need help clearin' out."
"Alright! Alright! I'll help you! So long as you stop pointing that gun at my face."
"Good, good, that's what I thought."

The two men make their way through the still-destroyed but slightly habitable slum.
"Just down here, it is."

As they walk down the creaky steps that make noise with every single moment, Pechal sees them. Two bodies. These bodies were his parents.

"Oh... my god. This is what happened?"

"There is almost a beauty in the disgusting, vile positions that these evil forces o' nature enact on our poor, weak, human bodies."

Pechal Then wonders about the sanity of his newfound acquaintance. But that is the least of his worries, as his once-thought-dead parents get up and come to him. 

"Why didn't you help us, Pechal?"

"Left us to rot."

"I-" Pechal says dumbfoundedly

"Brother, uh, you ok?" Pechal turns to the shotgun-wielding man as he shakes Pechal back to reality.

"Are you alright there tovarisch?" 

Pechal looks back up to point, but alas, his parents are back to the painfully disturbed contortions they had previously found themselves in. 

"Yeah, yeah it's nothin." Pechal says, not having a welcoming experience.

"Are ya sure you can bring yourself to get rid of them like this?'".

"Wait, I just...I just can't." Pechal retorts.

"Fine. Fine, you can stay anyway."

"Thank Lenin," Pechal says.

The two mentally unwell men decide to exit the foul-smelling basement, the steps creaking as they exit. They walk in silence as they make their way to wherever the man leads him. Pechal stares at the ground, walls, and ceiling, noticing more and more the blemishes of the once blissfully recognizable home to many.

Pechal says to himself, "Why didn't I talk to them sooner? I could have helped them. I could have been here before they had to suffer."

They make their way up a flight of stairs, spiraling up the brutalist architecture seemingly forever. It takes him back to the beginning again, that fateful night he previously was reliving before he arrived in this godforsaken place. 

That night, as a young boy, Pechal saw the grim mutilation of a homeless man right outside his living quarters by what seemed to be a man desperate for any food or money. How could one person become so low and wretched that they could bring themselves to kill a homeless person? Pechal ran back into his home, crying for his mother.

"It's okay my dear, what is it?"

Pechal would silently cry. His mom led him to his room due to him not elaborating further upon such a tragic event.

"Son, remember this, and remember this always, never talk to strangers. Even as they can appear trusting, they often deceive you."

Awakened suddenly, Pechal gazed suspiciously at the man next to him.

"Oh, where are my manners? My name is Reznov, and you are?"

"The names Pec-...Pechal."

The two men found themselves in a room with a few candles and a bed, something unfortunately familiar to Pechal by this point. 

"Well, I haven't heard too much about you, but I'll tell ya' a little bit about my story." Reznov says, "I grew up goin from place to place. I was too poor to settle down, as was the situation with many people here. But I'd rather be wandering and homeless than cramped in one of those Khrushchyovka. Ya see, I ain't ever met my parents. Till one day I decided I was gonna join the great Red Army. It was the best and worst decision of my entire life" 

"Why's that?"

"Well, killin aint easy, unless it's Floremen, in my opinion."

"'Floremen'?" Pechal inquired.

The man took a moment to answer.

"That's just'a what I call the tree-people you see running around here. They're more flora than human at this point."

"I see your point"

"You see, real, normal people like you and me are tougher to kill. We have emotions, think for ourselves, and are similar to one another; it's like putting a bullet into your own head." Reznov continues, "You know, this stuff grows pretty darn quick, and so much so it may very well be the middle of the day right now, but we wouldn't know because the overgrowth blocks the sunlight from reaching us."

The two new acquaintances decide to rest for the night, and lay down to sleep. Pechal however, struggles to doze off in his sleeping bag, Remembering what his late mom said, Pechal's familiar paranoia gets the best of him, clouding his judgment. He just can't stand the thoughts anymore and decides to leave. 

Pechal slowly and sneakily gets up from his sleeping bag, takes the gun from the sleeping Reznov, and slowly creeps out the window. All the while making sure not to wake the sleeping bear. Before fully leaving, Pechal gazes out to the town from the vantage point seeing what was always there. People, families, and kids, are trapped and overgrown by the trees. Pechal sees the deep dark ocean of leaves above him growing thicker and taller. He climbs his way down the decrepit fire escape stairs and ladders, but instead of landing on the cement of the barren road, his feet meet the trunk of a large, wispy black tree fallen over, presumably caused by the car lodged in the side, likely crashed during the initial panic. As he makes his way, Pechal can see the zigzag of the slums clearly. Eventually, he starts to hear the familiar mumbling of the Floremen bodies covering the streets. All Pechal can discern is groaning and shuffling of feet.

"Better not go down there." He says to himself. Eventually, the tree ends. 

Not sure what to do, Pechal decides to jump down and make a run for a nearby convenience store. Which now seems to be a makeshift shelter as the windows are boarded up, and what looks to be, now abandoned though, watchtowers find themselves at each corner. He sprints and makes his way toward the entrance, as he makes out the dim glow of a lantern from within. The man on the inside notices Pechal through the glass framing and shouts to him.

"Quick tovarisch! Get in!" A voice booms at Pechal's confused stature.

Pechal turns around, previously being oblivious to the pursuing threat, being hyper-focused on the figure. 

"Don't just stand there! Come on!"

Pechal then enters into a fearful sprint towards the entrance of the hideout. 

"Watch out!" The man remarks as he throws a Molotov into the crowd behind Pechal.

Pechal falls into the safe station and onto the ground and looks behind him to see the crowd erupt into flames. Strangely distorted screeching is emitted from the crowd, and it almost humanizes them to Pechal. He is aware of the hostility shown to him, but he can barely bring himself to even look at them as they cease to move.

"What are you doing here? You could have gotten both of us killed tovarisch!"

"I-" Pechal mutters

"No, you better make yourself useful or I'm throwing you out, cyka." 

Pechal nods his head wearily in response.

"Here, take this, go in the back and help the medic. One of our men was injured." 

Pechal looks into the hands of the man to find a medical box containing gauze pads, painkillers, and some surgical scissors. Pechal, having no experience in the medical field, hoped to find a more suitable person to treat the soldier.

"Quick! Help me tourniquet his leg!" The field medic exclaims to Pechal 

"Uh, I'll try!" The two of them do their best to help the dying man, but their efforts are futile, and he passes. 

"Damn, another one. We've lost almost our whole unit." The medic says with a face of pure, utter depression.

The man from the front of the store then enters the room, Pechal glances wearily over at him.

"Hey, listen, what's your name?"

"Pechal, it's Pechal."

"Okay, Pechal we don't have enough supplies for someone else. You see we were sent here by the government to clean this whole mess up before it got too out of hand. As you can see, we failed our mission and our leaders have ceased all communications with us." Pechal silently acknowledges the man as he continues.

"For now, we've just been held up here scheming how we're going to escape this hellhole. But by the looks of it, with the ever-growing trees, I don't think that's possible anymore. Our only plan now is to somehow find the source of these growths and put an end to it all." The man says.

"That's been my goal as well." Pechal retorts, "any leads?"

"Well you see, all of the roots from the growths lead directly down into the sewer system, which is quite hard to enter but we think we can do it with an extra man, especially one that has a gun."

 As the man says this, Pechal thinks back to his first shotgun-wielding ally and wonders if it was the right thing to do after all. Regret fills his mind as he wonders as to the fate of Reznov.

"You think you can do it? By the way, I never fully introduced myself, my name is Andrei, and this is Kira."

"I think I might be able to help out, Andrei, Kira." Pechal responds.

"Well let's get to it!" Kira states. "The sooner we do this, the sooner we can get out of here."

Andrei, Pechal, and Kira begin cautiously creeping towards the exit of the store, being weary for more creatures. As Andrei peered outside, he saw no movement.

"It's all clear. Let's go quickly."

Andrei continues on and guides the group to the nearest manhole, which is overgrown with strangely thin vines. Andrei then cuts the vines with his service knife. Suddenly, as Kira is walking forward, she steps upon a man still living buried under the ground. The man lets out a howling screech.

"Quick! Pechal it's up to you!" Andrei says.

As Pechal climbs down into the sewers, he hears the screams of Andrei and Kira as the Floremen dig their receded, sharp claws into their bodies. Pechal could hear every detail as the Floremen dismember their bodies and paint the black grass red with the spilt blood of his comrades. Pechal closes the manhole cover in a hurry. Although he was no unable to exit back out that way, due to the onslaught of Floremen.

Pechal gazes out, and in front of him is an empty tunnel lit up by those familiar candles from the slums of his home. A voice beckons to him from the darkness, but after all that has happened, Pethcal doesn't know if it's a facade leading him to his death, or a voice beckoning him to salvation. The slow dripping of water from the ceiling of the sewer, combined with the footsteps from above, and the tearing of limb from limb of those poor souls, make this desolate sewer feel safe. The sewer then seemed to come alive as though it was a vengeful spirit, ready to swallow Pechal at any point. Pechal slowly makes his way into the black void stretching out seemingly forever. As he walks and walks, Pechal hears his mother calling to him for dinner. He excitedly jumps out of bed and runs to the kitchen, but to his horror, this memory has been corrupted. His mom lies dead, a plant grows from her abdomen. Pechal's father walks in, and stares emptily into Pechal's soul.

"You shouldn't be here." Pechal's father says, as suddenly he is brought back to reality to see in front of him what appears to be a beating heart, dark and malignant.

Pechal stares into the beating artery-like roots, and sees a figure inside. It notices him, gets up, and walks toward him. It stares from inside the heart. At this point, Pechal sees that he is looking back at himself. The man in the heart starts to squirm and shake violently, as a tree begins to sprout from his chest. Until the entire figure is consumed by floral organic material, its brain is still hanging in the air by the black roots, as if an apple from a tree. Pechal knows what he must do. With the shotgun from the man long forgotten. He takes aim but as he does the pure-foliated entity speaks to him without even making a sound, as if it is his own voice within his fractured mind. 

"Faces yet long lost, may still be within, deep-rooted in your soul, let it begin, and become whole." The voice rings in his head, as if somehow possessed by himself. 

Slowly, Pechal turns the gun towards himself, but as he does he finds that he is no longer in control of his own body. His vision is blurred and as if put directly in the center of the hivemind. He hears all the ramblings and suffering of each and every person afflicted by the coalescence of man and nature. Pechal tries to block it out but he no longer sees himself in the heart, instead he sees all of the town, once perfectly habitable. The foliage has grown so high and has spread so much that it is impossible to differentiate it from the surrounding forest if not for the deep black leaves. As if the wrath of a vengeful god, Pechal, now a brain of the Growth, torments his children and rips them from their roots. But before he can finish his wrath, once again does he hear his mother.

"Pechal dear, is this how I raised you? To use violence to solve your problems? This isn't you, not really. It wasn't your fault."

Pechal snaps out of it and once again is back in his own body. He can hear the crumbling of the slums from above and the yelps from the tree people. He finishes what he started by pointing and shooting the heart in front of him, but to his shock, not a bullet, but a seed comes out, which rips through the heart and plants itself into the dirt once resided by the malignant growth. A sunflower slowly and naturally starts to form. As all this is taking place the sewer begins to crumble. Pechal begins sprinting for an exit. He sees a beam of light shine down, signaling his exit. He climbs out just in time.

He stands before the streets riddled with now exposed corpses and the remains of the once sprawling trees. The sun seems to burn the Growths away and for the first time in what feels like an eternity, Pechal gazes into the bright, blue sky, as if a color stripped from the world has now revitalized before his very eyes. He slowly makes his way around town in hopes of finding his parents. After who knows how long he finds the basement, now with a third corpse of his previous friend. He looks at his parents for the last time until coming to grips with the fact that as hard as he tries, he can no longer return to the days of which his parents held him dear. He leaves the way he came and starts making his way away from the block. He sees his car, covered in dead flowers, the tree that blocked it now dissolved into the ground. The sign is now fully visible, and ominously states, "And the sun has never shined brighter!" Pechal smiles to himself at the sight and returns to his vehicle, and turns the ignition. Just as before, the car sputters to life. He rotates the car around and starts to drive. At first not with a destination, but one that is far from here. His past is behind him, and he turns on the radio. As he does, he catches the weather channel mid-report. The weatherman states,

"Good Morning tovarisches! Today you can expect a very warm day, unprecedented in recent weeks. With the sun shining bright, no rain in sight, and with the beginning of spring, you can expect flowers to sprout everywhere!"

As the weatherman finished, Pechal continued on the road. Not just any road, but The Road Home.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.