The Magic; Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Magic; Part 1

Author's note:

This is part 1 of my first story, so I am willing to take criticizm.

My name is Maya, and this is my story. You see? I have powers. Multiple. I can turn invisible if I wanted to, or I can read minds. And if I really wanted to- I could teleport. That’s how I ended up in a villain hideout. People with powers were despised, disposed, and tortured. Eventually, a group became tired of all the hate and rebelled. Not all of them even had powers! 

Since I didn’t want to get hurt, I tried to teleport back to my home, but the bonds wouldn’t let me concentrate. They dug into my skin and left red marks if I struggled too much. Then, they walked in.

“Stop struggling Maya!” One of them said. “We won’t hurt you- if you cooperate.”

“What do you want from me?” I asked.

“For you to join us. Isn’t it obvious? You have more powers than anyone! Some of them you might not have realized you have. But we have.”

“You can’t seriously expect me to join you.” I said. Now I was worried- how much did they know about me? Surely they didn’t know how much I wanted a change! I struggled again, trying to loosen the ropes.

“STOP! I said not to move. In case you still don’t understand, move and I will burn you.” He said, a flame flickering in his palm. So that's his ability!

“Still… Why would I join you?”

“Because now that you have seen one of our hideouts- unless you are working with us we can’t let you leave alive.”

My eyes widened, they couldn't do that. They wouldn’t. Would they? But if I joined them I would be bringing harm to others. I would be bringing more hate to the people with powers.

“Hurry up and make a decision. We don’t have all day. Either you die, or you join us. It’s not that hard.”

“I… I’ll join you…” The words came out of my mouth slowly, I didn’t want to say it but if I didn’t, I would either be dead or a prisoner. He finally stepped out of the shadows and I saw a smug smirk on his face.

“Now, first things first. We don’t use our names here. We either go by initials, nick-names, or entirely fake names. So since your full name is Maya Jack, you’re MJ, May, or any name you can think of.”

I glared at him. I don’t like nick-names to I had to be MJ or something else. What about… Nah, I’ll just be MJ. “MJ.” I told them.

“Alright, MJ. Follow me. You can meet the others later.” He said.

“What do you mean, ‘others’?”

“Well, the others who recently joined our cause.”

My eyes widened again. Did they kidnap others? Where is he taking me? I followed him into a normal sized room after he freed my hands. There was a blue and gray bunk bed, a large closet, two dressers, and a carpet. I recognized the faded pink suitcase standing next to the bed. It was bulging and the front flap was open- my phone sticking out.

“Why do you have that!”

“Oh, we packed some of your stuff since this is the room you will be staying in.”

“I’m staying… here? Why is there a bunk bed?”

“We bunk in pairs. That is what I meant when I said you meet the others soon. The dresser on the left is yours and you can figure out who gets which bunk when your partner gets here. She is your age and goes by ‘Imagioneer’. You'll see why soon.”

“Okay..” I walked over to my suitcase and flipped it on it’s back to open it. There were my clothes, deodorant, and some belongings too; like my phone, hair accessories, stuffed animals, and practically all of my books. I liked to separate myself from reality by hanging out on my bed and reading. I pulled out my phone plug and looked for a charging port. None. Then I looked to see if they had packed my solar panel battery pack. Check. I put it next to the window to charge.

Moments later, one of the villains escorted a girl. She was kicking and fighting, suddenly, a force field surrounded her and they backed off. I looked at her in wonder. So this was ‘Imagineer’.

“Don’t touch me! You can’t even get close to me without my permission!” She yelled. They looked at her then left and locked the door. “You must be MJ, am I right?”

For the first time in a while, I smiled. “Yep. And you must be ‘Imagineer’.”

She smiled back. “My power is imagine. Anything I can imagine, weather it’s living or inanimate I can create. From secret rooms- to your favorite animal- to portals and force fields.”

“Wow! That’s a great ability!”

“What’s yours?” She asked me. I was afraid to answer, I didn’t want to seem like I thought I was better than her.

“I uh… It’s complicated.”

“Why?’

“I have multiple abilities. Invisibility, Telepath, and Teleport.” I said.

Her eyes widened, “And you said my powers were amazing! Can’t you just teleport home though?”

“Can’t you create a portal? I am going to give them a chance. Not saying I like it though… But you understand.”

“Yeah. I do.”

A while later, I could hardly recognize our room, each of our bunks were customized to out likings. Imagineer’s was light blue with tiny gemstones on the headboard. Mine had black sheets and pillowcases with a flower comforter. She had imagined both of us hidden rooms the size of my old house accessed by our handprints. After I thanked Imagineer, she said;

“I know I've already done a lot but what about company? Would you like a pet? Even if it is one from your imagination.”

“Really? Oh, um. How would you create it if it’s from my imagination?” I asked, and she gave me a sly smile.

“I can imagine you with my ability, and once you have your pet I'll just take it away.” My eyes widened. I could imagine a pet. Any pet that I wanted. Imagineer shut her eyes and concentrated. I took this as my cue to imagine. It looked like a large ferret with purple eyes and golden fur. An extra fluffy tail and he had silver and gold wings. He was friendly and playful, but protective of his owner and could spit acid at anyone who dared harm them. Then, I imagined his collar. Emerald green with little opals encrusted and a circle tag that read “Goldin”. 

Looking behind me, I realized it had worked. Goldin was flying behind me and made a little squeaking sound. “I did it.” I said surprised. Quickly, before my power could be taken away, I imagined an infinite square container with food. It appeared in my hand with a leash.

“Great job!” She told me. “Not what I expected, but your pet none-the-less.”

“Are you going to get a pet?” I asked.

“Nah. Not right now. Maybe later. What is your pet’s name?”

“Goldin, with and ‘I’ instead of ‘e’.”

“Nice.” She said, and I pressed my hand against the scanner of the secret room.

“Come here Goldin!” I said to my pet. And he happily flew in with me. The room had a small grassy area, likely an addition of Imagineer but I was grateful for a place for Goldin to use the bathroom. “Good boy!” He did a flip in the air and nestled on my shoulder. “Oh, sorry boy. No cuddling right now. I need to train you a little bit.” I told him. 

30 minutes later, I left Goldin in the room and sealed the door with a pet bed that had also mysteriously appeared. Suddenly, there was a banging on the door.

“Hang out time is up! Come on out!” He opened the door and sighed when he saw how we had customized it. “You girls are really making yourself at home.” He muttered. “Follow me, and don’t stray, you will easily get lost and you need to learn to obey anyway.”

Imagineer and I sent him a withering glare but followed. I had hoped they would leave us alone but I knew it was too much to ask. We had joined the villains and were expected to obey.

There were seven people waiting for us when we got to where we were supposed to go. They looked at us impassively and stood up. I decided to look at their thoughts.

So… These are the new recruits? They better be powerful.

I think Imagineer is the one with the short blonde hair, and MJ is the one with Yellow eyes? Daaannng. That is one sure sign of power!

Imagineer better help us. She is the only one who will be able to control MJ- as her powers are important. Eventually she’ll be one of us. And willing to kill.

Some of the thoughts made me gasp, but I made sure to do it quietly so they didn’t know I was reading their minds. I looked at Imagineer to see if she was as bored as me, and the glare in her eyes and scowl told me she was more annoyed and angry than bored.

“So did you need something?” She asked. 

“Yes.”

“Then what?”

“MJ can tell you that.”

My eye twitched. They might not have known I was reading their thoughts when we got here but they knew of my ability.

“They wanted to see how committed we are to their ‘cause’.” I said using quotation marks. “Which is not at all.” I told them. I had already seen Imagineer’s thoughts.

“Oh don’t worry, you will be loyal to us before you know it.” One of them said, “I am Void. I can create voids that can basically act as portals. Bringing me objects- or people.” She told us. “And trust me, I didn’t want to be here either but this is my family now.”

“Yeah whatever.” I replied. “Why do we have to go by fake names?”

“So that if someone finds you, they won’t be able to look you up because it isn’t your name.”

“But what if I do tell them my name?”

“You won’t.” Void insisted, and her tone made me agree. There was no way I could get out of this alive. I would have to obey the villains, maybe even become one myself- but I knew for a fact that y the time this was done- I wouldn't even remember my real name.