The Man I Shouldn't Have Picked Up | Teen Ink

The Man I Shouldn't Have Picked Up

January 10, 2019
By stormi123, Fort Louden, Pennsylvania
More by this author
stormi123, Fort Louden, Pennsylvania
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

I have spent a lot of time on this novel and I have a passion for thrillers. My Novel has many plot twists. 

"Katie, we are finally on our way to the beach!" Rachel Shouted. As I am driving down the road going 70 miles per hour in a 50 miles per hour lane, flatland is all I can see for thousands of miles. "We have a 663-mile long drive until we get to Pleasant Beach!" I shout to Rachel. She has the music blaring and she has such a positive attitude! As we get further down the road, I notice someone in the distance, standing to the side of the road with what looks like a broken down vehicle.

"Look Rachel, somebody is broken down on the side of the road!"

 "Should we stop to see if we can help?"

"Well it seems like the right thing to do even though I am very eager to get there!"

"Let’s just stop quickly and see if we can be of any help, I guess."

We pull off of the road and stop directly behind the person's vehicle. Rachel and I get out of the car in a hurry. We see a man in probably his late thirties, wearing a pair of smudges glasses, alone with his hood up trying to discover the problem with his vehicle.

"Hey, my name is Robert Moore! I was just heading home for dinner that my wife had made when this happened! Just my kind of luck though, hey, would you two nice young ladies be able to give me a ride back to my house, the engine blew on this old thing! I only live a couple miles up the road in the way you were headed." The man proceeded to ask.

 "Sorry about your truck but sure, we would be happy to give you a ride! Not a problem."

 "Aren't you two just the best!"

"Hell yeah we are!" Rachel shouted.

The man had a big scruffy beard, and he was a lot taller than both Rachel and I. He had big brown eyes, and wrinkles were starting to form on his face. He was dressed like a gentleman though, blue jeans and a nice looking shirt. He kept a smug look on his face, though.

Rachel and I get back into the car while Robert shut his hood and locked up his truck. He then joined us in the car. We start heading up the road again. Robert liked to talk, he rambled on about every little thing. He mentioned that he had a wife and two kids and how he was a businessman. He started talking about how crazy the people around here were and how many women have disappeared. Rachel glared at me, she was getting freaked out by the way this man was talking.

"Enough about me, tell me about yourselves!" Robert said with a smile upon his

face.

Rachel looked at me nervously so I told him about myself first.

"Well, my name is Katie Warren, I am a medic in Mapleshire. I have a husband that is an HVAC-R Technician and we do not have any kids. I'm not ready for any of those yet! I chuckled.

 "My name is Rachel Bennett, I work at Ready, Set, Go Daycare Center. I do not have any children of my own but I absolutely love working with them!"

 "Well damn, you two seem to have your futures set. Oh, turn left on this road and

I live all the way down the lane."

The lane proceeding to this man's trailer was very trashy looking. As we come up to his trailer I notice that it is very tiny. Not something that you would find a married couple with two kids living in! The door was rusty, the outsides of the home had most all of the paint chipped off of it. This trailer was surrounded by dirt, atop the dirt were piles of trash. This place had not been taken care of very well.

"Thank you for the ride, you two are very kind to me." The man said.

"It was no problem, really!" I replied.

 "Come inside for a moment so that my wife can meet the two wonderful ladies that helped me during my troubles!"

"Oh, that's okay, really we should get going.

 "Please, I insist."

Rachel and I looked at each other cautiously, "Okay we will go speak to her for a moment." The three of us exit the car and Rachel and I followed him towards the rusty door.  As I entered his beat-up trailer, I see no sign of a wife and children. No toys and, no clean kitchen. Nothing but beat up furniture, stained carpets, and a smell of something rotten.

"Honey, I'm back! Hope I didn't miss dinner!" The man shouted but, there was no response. "She must be in the cellar doing laundry. Here, come on and follow me down to see her!" "Oh, okay sure." I responded.

He waves for us to go ahead of him so, I proceeded to do so. As I get halfway down the stairs, Rachel following behind me, I hear the door slam and lock behind us! I immediately run back up the stairs and start beating on the door screaming!

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! Let us out of here!" I shouted.

There was no response.

 "What the hell is going on?" Rachel asked me.

"I have no idea what is going on? He must be crazy!"

 "I am scared, so scared!"

"Me too."

"What do you thing is going to happen to us?" I ask her

"He is probably some sort of cannibal or something like that, who knows what he wants from us." she replies back.

We try beating on the door again and again trying to get the man to come back and let us out but it seems like we are just stuck in here. We need to find a way out of this place fast.

We decide to go down the stairs since getting out of the door was hopeless at this point. The stairs creaked the whole way down them. I get to the bottom of the stairs and turn the corner. I see the most horrific sight in my entire life!

A young girl lay there hardly able to move, her body covered in the deepest bruises and her face so covered in cuts and blood that she would be unidentifiable to even her closest family. Her clothes were ripped and dirty, she had definitely been there a long time before we have arrived. Her eyes lay heavy and unable to open, he lips chapped and peeling. Her hair was knotted to the roots and very greasy.

"Hello," Rachel whispered to the girl.

The girl glanced up at her and put her head back facing the ground.

"What is your name?" I presumed.

"Is there any way out of here?"

"How long have you been down here?"

As she kept her head to the ground, I hear a slight voice slip from her mouth, "Sarah." Rachel and I looked at each other.

"Okay Sarah, nice to meet you, what are you doing here? Who is this man?"

Sarah wasn't of much help as she didn't reply to anything asked. She pointed over to a table, I walked over to find a journal laying on top of the table. I opened to the first page and the journal read:

"My name is Sarah Rhoads, I am 19 years old. I met "Robert" on my way to my Grandmother’s house, he was broken down on the side of the road and I offered to give him a ride to his house. And now, as you may know, here I am, stuck in this man’s house. I later found out that his name is not Robert at all. This man's name is Jason Parsons, he is a 45-year-old psychopath. If you are reading this, I probably won't be alive to tell you all of the things that have been done to me but know this:

Jason believes that the world is full of sinners and that God has sent him to remove those sinners from this world. He doesn't remove you in a peaceful way, he destroys your soul and your outer body. Over the past four months, I have been starved to the point that my bones are visible through my skin. I have been beaten with just about every object found in this room. And if you are thinking about getting an attitude with Jason, DO NOT! Don't make these last few months of your life harder on yourself. The last time I tried talking back to Jason, I had my face beaten in by a metal rod. If you're in pain from the beaten, you are left to deal with the pain alone. I don't know what God that Jason has thought to have sent him to cleanse the world of sinners but, it is not our God! Keep your faith through your time, you are going to need it to distract from your suffering in here. I really do wish you luck if you're reading this and I am truly sorry that you are the next person on this man's list. If there is a way out of this cellar, I have yet to find it! The windows are completely blocked off and I have not found any other escape plan! I hope you get luckier than I have been! Best of luck and amen!"

I was horrified by what I read, Rachel looked at me and I could see the fear in her eyes. The fear of dying in hear was very strong!

"Katie, I am so scared! We are going to f'ng die in here, just like her!"

"Do not talk like that Rachel, we are going to find a way out of here, I promise."

"Do you really believe that?" "I don't know but like she said, we have got to keep our faith and our hopes up. We are going to make it out of here, do not think otherwise."

"It is a lot easier said than done to keep your hopes up when you are locked in the cellar of an actual psychopath who thinks that God wants him to torture and kill the both of us, Katie!"

"Rachel, let us try to keep our faith for now."

"Okay."

Although I am trying to stay positive for Rachel, I am beyond freaking out! I am stuck in a cellar that I will probably spend the last days of my life in! I have yet to accomplish anything with my life. Of course, an act of kindness on my part is going to be the cause of me dying! This world is cruel and sick, what has made him think that I am a sinner? Of course, I am not perfect, but am I really so bad that I deserve to be tortured and killed? I have lived a pretty good life, I have been kind to most everyone! I believe that the true God, the one that knows not a person is perfect but loves us all anyway, is going to save Rachel and me from this crazy, sick man! I can only hope, at least.

My stomach growls in pain. I feel extremely hungry already. I proceed over to one of the four windows, and I can see the long driveway outside. On the outsides of the windows are metal rods keeping them from being able to be opened or shattered. I feel like a prisoner. My optimism begins to fade and turn to pure hopelessness. My faith begins to lessen as I feel completely helpless.

It must have gone over his head that I had brought my purse in with me. Good thing for us, I am always extremely prepared for anything. I run over to where I had left my purse out on the floor, I quickly empty it out! Inside my purse contained a hairbrush, a pocketknife, a bottle of water, a few packets of crackers, and my cell phone which had no service in this cellar.

"Of course no service in this f'ing place, why is my luck so bad." I say

"Rachel, are you hungry?" I asked.

"Yes I am pretty hungry!" She replied.

"Here, take a pack of crackers and here is some water but please preserve it, it is all that we have!" "Thank you so much, I have always complained about how over prepared you are! But here I am now thanking you for it!"

"Your welcome and yeah, I know, thank god I am always prepared for the worst.

And here we are, at the worst."

After she had finished eating and drinking some, I put the items back into my purse, putting

Sarah's journal in as well. I then scan the room for a place that I can hide it from the crazy man. I notice a hole in the floorboard near the wall, I approach the hole. I stick my hand in it to see if I were to put my purse in it if I would easily be able to grab it again.

"F, spider webs!" I yank my hand out of the hole and take off running to the other side of the room. I hate spiders more than anything!

"Rachel, please go and feel if that hole is a safe place for my purse to hide! I just can't do it, you know how I am with spiders! I really can't stand them at all."

"Yeah, I got it Katie."

She takes the purse from my hand and heads toward the hole, she reaches in as i cringe at the thought of spiders being in there! She turns to me, "Yeah, we will be able to access it when we need to." She stuffs the purse into the hole and walks back over to where I am sitting on the ground.

"Thank you so much!" I eagerly say to her.

"Your welcome, spiders are nothing to me."

"I am really thankful to have a best friend that is not fazed by spiders."

I hear footsteps coming down the stairs, it sounds closer and closer as the man turns the corner and looks at me. He walks over to me and asks, "How do you like it down here? I am going to do this a little different with you girls. You see, I have cut her up and made her to bleed to death. But you two, you two are going to torture yourselves. You will be left down here to starve and go thirsty. You will drive yourself insane trying to think of why you are here and how you have gotten here. When God decides to set you free, if God decided to set you free, then he will. If he does not, then you will be sent to lay to rest with the devil and be tortured for an eternity! Good luck, I will be down to check and look at your shitty condition nearly every three days."

"How do we like it down here? Are you f'ing serious? We're stuck in the cellar of a psychopath!" Rachel shouts to the man. I cringe at the thought of how mad he was at her for that.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.