The field of Screams | Teen Ink

The field of Screams

January 24, 2018
By cierralr, Dexter, Michigan
More by this author
cierralr, Dexter, Michigan
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This piece was written for my creative writing class.

Field Of Screams
“Please stop, please stop I can’t breathe!” His hands clutched my throat, tighter and tighter. I couldn’t take in any air; I tried to say stop again but nothing came out. Then he whispered in my ear, “The fields are mine and everything in it, STAY OUT!!” Then I sat up sweating and gasping for air… another nightmare….. but my throat felt bruised. His voice, his voice seemed like the same voice I hear when the wind passes through the corn near my house. Could this be the field from my dream?
“Okay if you had to be at work at 7:00 am, you’re 15 minutes late and it’s time for the morning traffic report.”
I reached over and shut off the radio alarm clock and got out of bed for school. I’ve always hated the half mile walk out to the main road from my house to get on the bus. I hate it because it takes me past the old farmer’s cornfield. The farmer never comes out of his house ever since his son Jake died at 17; no one really remembers what he looks like. There has been many suspicions throughout the year. Some think that the farmer killed his son and hid the body and some think the son ran away. There was no body found but some blood. The police said it was a animal attack and the body was dragged away. I also thought that that Jack was very odd. When I was young, I saw jack killing a rabbit with his hands. No one ever believed me. People shoot rabbits all the time. This was the  same cornfield that little boy Lee Allen back in 2010 went looking for his dog, yet he was never seen again. Then in 2012 Sheriff Hanson was investigating a report of a boy screaming and yelling for help. The sheriff entered the corn field and his gun accidentally discharged killing him. It has been 5 years since anything has happened. I think that’s because everyone and everything is too scared to go in or go near it. I have never seen a single deer in that field since I moved here. People say that there used to be deer all the time roaming around eating corn until the farmer died. Now, as I passed the field the wind picked up, I could hear the corn rustle, I had the urge to run the rest of the way to the bus stop.
Later that day during lunch period I was telling my friends Cam, Burt, Mark, and Jessie about my nightmare I had. They all thought it was creepy, but they laughed and joked with me about it. Jessie came up with the idea that we should play flashlight tag in the corn field tonight. That was our favorite game, well that and Ghost in the graveyard.
I looked at her with a confused look on my face, “ Are you you kidding me. After I told you my dream, and all of you know what happened in there you want to go in?”
They all look at me and replied, “ Yeah that’s what makes it fun!!”
I couldn’t believe it, but I also felt left out. If they all go tonight then i'll have nothing to do. The thought made the hair on my neck stand up but I didn’t want to be left out so I said yes. The moment that word left my mouth, I immediately regretted it. We all met at my house with flashlights and we headed to the corn field. The night never seemed darker; there was no moon, no stars, but a little breeze that made the corn whisper and the second we entered the field it seemed to get colder. Jessie was it first so we all ran in different directions. I was laying on the ground and my light was off when I saw a green light.
I whispered, “Find your own hiding spot.” Then the light went off.
Seconds later Jessie yelled out, “Caught you!”
When we all assembled I asked, “Who was the dumb nut with the green flashlight? Who hid next to me…..” Everyone one looked down at their flashlights and looked back at me. No one had a green flashlight.
Cam blurted out, “You’re not funny! So it’s your turn to be it.”
“BUT I SWEAR I'M NOT KIDDING!! There's something out there!!” I said it in a fearful voice. It was too late.
All of my friends ran in different directions saying “Just turn around and count!”
I could hardly count, but I did as fast as someone could ever count to 20. I then tried to find them all. I didn’t hear a noise or even the wind.
I found Jessie and Cam first, but I couldn’t find Mark or Burt. About 15 minutes went by and Cam, Jessie, and I were getting worried.
I called out to them saying, “If you guys think I was playing a joke, so now you are, well it's not funny.”
We thought they must of went back to my house, so we left. when we got to my house, no one was there. We called their houses, their parents said they have not returned.
The police searched the field and the surrounding areas for weeks for clues, but all they found was a green flashlight. The entire situation had the town freaking out. Jessie’s family took Jessie and left to her grandmas house in Florida. Another couple of weeks went by and the urge of not knowing was growing stronger and stronger. Everyday was a pain to live because I asked myself the same questions: Why didn’t I go missing too? Who had the green flashlight? Who would do this? Why didn’t I do anything, I knew something was up that night! I was so angry, upset and confused. There was so much I wanted to know.
On my way to the bus stop for the first time in a long time I heard a dull voice coming from the field. As I got closer and closer it became clearer. It sounded like Burt and Mark's Voice! I dropped my backpack and ran into the field. I followed the sounds and then I got so close I heard screaming. It seemed like the fields were screaming at me. I fell to the ground. MY head was spinning. But I knew I needed to get up and get out of there or I would never come out. I got up and ran with my ears covered. I stopped and saw a house, the farmer’s house. I have never actually seen it before. Only the police have. The house looked so empty, but something was pulling me there. I took one more step and I opened the door. It was cold and damp. I felt something touch me on the back. I screamed so loud my head began to throb.
The farmer looked at me and said, “I told you to stay away. This cornfield is mine and everything in it!!!”
“But…. but you’re dead? I said with terror.
The next thing I knew was being yanked to a back room. The room had flower wall paper and flower bed sheets. It didn’t look like any other part of the house, it was clean. I waited there for what seemed like hours.
When the farmer came in, he said “ I told you! I told this whole town! Why did you have to come here??? Did he see you?? Does he know?? I warned you, what is wrong with you?!”
He grabbed my arms and began to shake me “Answer me girl, answer me!!”
I was about to pee my pants but I thought about my friends and became angry, “My friends went missing and I know you took them! Are they dead?? Where are they I want to know!”
“I don’t care about your friends! I want to know if he saw you?!!” The farmer said.
“Yes, everyone saw me! The whole town saw me go into this field! They will come after me!”
“HA, no one saw you come in my field. I’m asking if he saw you?”
“Who's he?” I Curiously asked.
“My son! If he saw you come in here then there is no way we can get you out.”
I couldn't  breath. His son is alive. He’s alive……. And he’s the killer. I didn’t say anything. I just sat there and looked at him. His angry face turned into a sad, depressed face.
“I’m so sorry about your friends. It’s too late for them. It’s probably too late for you. I try and try to to warn this town. I just love my son and I knew from the first time he brought a dead bird in the house and put it in a cage. I should have done someone thing,but you need to understand he is my only son!” The farmer’s face began to get angry again.
“I’m sorry your son dies but there is no reason for you both to kill innocent people!”
“INNOCENT….INNOCENT…. REALLY??? I tell you and everyone else in this town to stay out of this field and if you all just would have listened to me then no one would have gotten hurt!!!”
I began to cry. I didn’t know what to do. My friends are dead and i'll die too. Why didn’t I stay out of here!? Why didn’t I listen to my heart and the little thing in my head telling me not to go in. But wait….. “Why didn’t I see your son? Why havnt anyone seen your son since they found the blood and you reported him missing??”
“BANG, BANG, BANG”. The loud noise came from under me. I got from the bed and saw and cellar door open and something or someone ran into the field.
“I don’t know where he goes, but I think he had a underground area. He likes to live like a animal” the farmer answered my unspoken question.
The farmer turns around and says “I'm sorry”
I looked at him confused. He wasn't sorry before. The he says “That’s not the son that kills….. He is” The farmer points to behind me. The door swings open.
He wasn’t a person, he was a thing. Something only you would see in your nightmares. At that moment I knew I would never see my family again, I would never see anyone again.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.