Asylum | Teen Ink

Asylum

By bo_olsen PLATINUM, Nampa, Idaho
bo_olsen PLATINUM, Nampa, Idaho

"I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good"

Leo-

I stood in front of the old asylum with my friends: Michael, Jenna, William, George, Zoey, Ava, Hannah, Kayla, and Kevin. Suddenly, I heard footsteps slamming on the pavement, towards us.
“Well, well. Looks like we got the whole weirdo team here today!” exclaimed my mortal enemy, David. “We got the geek, the loser, the nerd, the fag, the little black girl, the other geek, the idiot, the runt, and the cry-baby.”
I know who each insult is for. Geek (Michael) because he loves D&D, Loser (William) because he’s a little weak, Nerd (Jenna) because she loves reading, Fag (me) because I am gay, Black Girl (Zoey) because she is, Geek (Ava) because she also loves D&D, Idiot (Hannah) because her brain is a little slow (we all love her though) Runt (Kayla) because she’s small for her age, Cry-baby (Kevin) because he can sometimes cry when he’s frustrated.
“Leave us alone, David,” Hannah said to him, glaring.
“I knew you were stupid, but not this much,” David taunted. “You dare to back talk me? Well, as punishment you have to spend all night in the asylum. All of you losers.”
Hannah gripped my hand in terror. “No. Please, I’m sorry.”
“Yes, you are. Run along now. I don't have time to waste,” David mocked her.
And that is how we found ourselves in the asylum, all night.

Leo-
“Does anyone have a flashlight?” Kayla asked.
“I do, on my phone,” I said.
A few of my friends said the same thing.
“We should use the phone lights one at a time,” I said. “We’ll be here all night.”
“I wanna go home!” wailed Kevin.
“I know,” Ava soothed him as she turned on her phone’s flashlight. “But if we go out there, David and his evil goons will beat us up. Besides, there’s nothing to be afraid of in here.” She glanced down at her phone. “Besides no Wi-Fi connection.”
“I have some 3G left,” I offered.
“Look up the history of this place,” Michael ordered me.
I did, and immediately became horrified. “Uh-oh.”
“What?” asked a few of my friends.
“Hope you guys have the guts for a scary story,” I said, afraid that this was going to be the longest night of our lives. “On December First, 1908, from 8:00 PM to 12:39 AM, patients were brought to a room by their doctors and murdered. The doctors were presumed dead, but some say they live underneath the building, building their own empire.”
My friends stare at me in shock.
“That cannot be the story!” Kevin wailed. “I don't wanna die!”
“We’re not going to die,” Zoey said, looking like she didn’t believe it herself.
“But what if the doctors come up from their empire?!” Kevin cried. “HUH?! THEN WHAT!?!”
“Sshh,” soothed Zoey, pulling Kevin into a tight hug. “That was 1908. This is 2017. Those doctors are dead. Okay?”
Kevin nodded.
It was just then we heard the first scream.

Leo-
We all jumped to our feet, and Kevin looked like he was going to wet himself.
“What was that?” William asked, looking all around us like whatever it was would show up in a horrific jumpscare.
“I don't know,” I whispered.
Jenna shrugged. “It was probably just David or his goons trying to scare us.”
“Okay. Yeah, that’s logical. Yes, that’s what it was,” Kevin said, mostly to himself.
But then another scream ripped through the building. And another. And another.
The screams just kept on continuing and continuing.
“We should find out where those are coming from and see if we can do anything to help,” George suggested.
I nodded. “Come on guys. Let’s go.”
We walked along in the general direction of where the screams were coming from.
“Guys, I’m scared,” Kevin whimpered.
“I know, but we’re gonna be okay,” Ava reassured him.
“There,” I said, pointing at a room ahead of us. “That’s where the screams are coming from.”
The door was metal and slightly warped, as if something hot had seared it.
“No way,” Michael murmured. “Do you guys know what this room is?!”
“No,” we all said in unison.
“That has to be the room where the patients were murdered in the fire!” he exclaimed.
My friends started to agree.
“Umm, Michael, one problem,” I said.
“What?” he asked, turning to me.
“I never said they died in a fire.”

Leo-
Michael stood there, a horrible grin on his face. “Oh, bravo, Leo, bravo!”
“Michael?” whimpered Ava. “What’s going on?”
“Only the best betrayal of all time!” Michael taunted. “You guys are so stupid. I can’t believe you didn’t catch on!”
“Catch on to what?” Hannah asked, although the rest of us knew.
Michael was dead.
Michael smirked at her. “Let me spell it out for you because you’re a little bit slow. I. Am. A. GHOST!”
On “ghost” Michael’s face began to change. It elongated, his eyes falling out and rolling to a stop at my feet, his mouth stitching itself shut. Hannah screamed, Kevin began to sob, and the rest of us stared at the remains of our friend.
Oh, hope you’re not too scared! Taunted Michael’s voice inside our heads.
Hannah and Kevin clutched each other as Michael turned and walked to them.
He leaned forward into their faces. Boo.
Hannah and Kevin screamed and ran back, into the safety of our group.
Michael turned to me. You were always my favorite, Leo. So caring, always there for us. I’ll make your death quick.
His head tilted. As for the rest of you: I hate you. I hate the ugly way you only accepted me when Leo did. Your deaths will be slow.
“Leave us alone!” I yelled.
Mmm. No. Now, get into the room.
The screams stop as the doors opened up, and we were herded in by our former best friend.

Leo-
“No, no, no, NO!” screamed Ava, pounding on the door. “Let us out! Michael! Let us out!”
I’d rather not. I want to see you die. Michael said inside our heads, his grotesque body nowhere in sight.
“What are you going to do to us?” I screamed.
Kill you. I thought we established that.
“How are you going to kill us?” Kevin screamed.
Same way I died. I also have a gift for you, Leo.
“I don't want it.”
Michael’s disembodied chuckle filled the room. Oh, Leo. Still so stubborn. Yes, you do want this gift. You all do, but it’s mainly for you.
David appeared in the room, looking confused. “What? The losers? Where’s the geek?”
I stared at David, not comprehending what was happening.
Do you not understand, Leo? David, the one who got you into this position, is also going to die. Aren’t you happy?
“No, I’m not, you disgusting freak. LET US GO!” I screamed.
Never. Now… BURN.
A flame appeared on David’s pant leg. No matter how much he swatted it, it wouldn’t go out. “No. No. NO! I DON'T WANNA DIE!”
Ava rushed over to him, also trying to put the flame out. But when she touched it, it spread onto her, too.
Soon enough, the entire room was in flames.

Michael-
I walk down the hallway, towards the exit. I can hear the pathetic screams echoing behind me. Poor little freaks.
Leo’s face fills my mind. Poor little gay boy. I honestly didn’t want him to die, but it had to be done.
I change back into my human form as I exit the asylum where I died, the asylum that hosts mine and many more bones.
I turn around once I am a safe distance away and marvel as the asylum once again claims lives.