Wings | Teen Ink

Wings

April 10, 2012
By theYoungMeganFox BRONZE, Evanston, Illinois
More by this author
theYoungMeganFox BRONZE, Evanston, Illinois
4 articles 2 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.


Author's note: I wrote this book about half a year ago, and just finished the last to the trilogy. I hope to post all three!

The author's comments:
Jessie is the main character of the novel.

JESSICA ROSE

I sat in the grass with my legs splayed in front of me. I admired their new polish, a pretty pale blue. Dusty blue, Kayla would have called it when I showed it to her.
“Jessica Rose?” I heard one of them call out. I didn’t budge. Maybe Jessie would do me a solid and take my place; it’s not like these idiots would notice if we switched it up.

But, of course, Jessie was too busy practicing her volleyball skills against the fence.
“Jessica Rose!” They called out in a now angered voice.
Jessie turned her head towards me, and I pointed at her, smiling.
I guess I was the only one who didn’t want to get out of here. Jessie loved to take my place in interviews, and she always got adopted; except for when she decided they weren’t right for her and she came right back here.
“Ride on,” Jessie thrust a fist in the air, and hopped into the main center, where a smiling couple were holding hands, waiting to meet their future daughter.
I turned away from it all. That might be her permanent home, and if it is, who will be my backup? Ah, whatever. Maybe Delia could sub for me.
“Hi,” Dallas came and sat right next to me. He sat so close that I could feel his knee brushing against my thigh. He had a fruit punch Icebreaker in his mouth, and I could smell it.
“How’s it hanging, J Ro?”
“Stop,” I said, grinning at him.
“You know Jessie just got adopted by the best.” He pointed at the minivan backing out of the driveway. “Eh, whatever.”
“They wouldn’t have wanted us, anyways,” I sighed. “Jessie is perfect for them.”
“You’re not sad to see her go?”
“Of course not.”
“How about with…” He trailed off, and his eyes caught my toe nails. “With Kayla?”
I felt no emotion, or at least tried not to. Stop, Jess. Stop it right now. It’s over.
“I’m sorry, I can’t…” I looked away from Dallas, trying to let the sun soak up my tears. Dry them, please…
Dallas got up and then outstretched a hand to me. I took it, and he helped me pull myself up. “Thanks,” I muttered.
“Pizza!” I heard one of them yell out. “Come now if you want it hot!”
I was glad that this orphanage wasn’t anything like Annie… It made us all feel like we had a place to call home. Most of us had our own rooms, and we had good meals and fun things to do. I knew that when I turned eighteen this summer, they would set me out to fend for myself, along with Dallas and one other girl named Peyton. And we all knew what we had to do.

Peyton and Dallas walked alongside me. “Don’t think about it,” Dallas told Peyton, whose eyes were red. Tears fell down her cheeks. “Who’s next, though? What else am I supposed to think about?” I kept walking, even when they fell behind. “She doesn’t matter anymore,” Dallas told her. “Forget her. She’s gone.” Peyton, Dallas and I had been fighting for our lives for two years. Each summer, we lost one of our own. This year, it was Kayla. My own sister was dead. There’s a difference between a serial killer and a serial killer who was trying to weaken you by taking away the ones you love most… and the whole point is to take the most valuable thing that five orphans shared.

PEYTON

“Are you okay?” Dallas’s blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. I sat upright. I guess I had fallen asleep in the grass.
“I’m fine,” I looked around, rubbing my eyes. “Sorry. I didn’t realize I was so tired.”
“It’s okay.”
“Where’s Jessie?” I asked him, shielding my eyes from the sunlight. I finally found her, leaning against the new fence, a bottle of light blue nail polish balanced on her knee. She dipped the brush in the bottle, then swiped it across her last un-polished nail. She blew on them, and then took her earphones out. She locked eyes with me.
“Hi,” She said, waving. She looked around, too.
“We’re all alone back here… Where is everyone?”
Dallas helped me up, then helped Jessie up. She tossed the bottle of nail polish behind a bush, where all the little mini-teens kept all their makeup junk.
“They all went to House 2 for the weekend. We’re here all alone…!”
I laughed as Dallas dragged his second to last word and waggled his eyebrows.
“Woah there, big boy,” Jessie giggled. “No wild parties, alright, Dal?”
“Yeah, whatever. No one listens to you two anyways.”
“Hmm. Let me think for a second…” I put my finger to my chin, and so did Jessie.
We don’t have any friends, Jessie thought to me. He’s kidding, right?
Of course he is. I replied to her mentally.
The five of us, Kayla, Dallas, Jessie, Carly and I are all related. Brothers and sisters, but Kayla and Jessie were more close. They were bound together when they were created.

“Can I just say something?” I said aloud.

Dallas and Jessie nodded, grinning. I guess they were going to say (or scream, I mean) it too.

One, I said mentally.

Two, Dallas.

Three!

“WE’RE ANGELS, BI****S!”
*Edited to fit rules of Teenink.com*

PEYTON

“Are you okay?” Dallas’s blue eyes sparkled in the sunlight. I sat upright. I guess I had fallen asleep in the grass.
“I’m fine,” I looked around, rubbing my eyes. “Sorry. I didn’t realize I was so tired.”
“It’s okay.”
“Where’s Jessie?” I asked him, shielding my eyes from the sunlight. I finally found her, leaning against the new fence, a bottle of light blue nail polish balanced on her knee. She dipped the brush in the bottle, then swiped it across her last un-polished nail. She blew on them, and then took her earphones out. She locked eyes with me.
“Hi,” She said, waving. She looked around, too.
“We’re all alone back here… Where is everyone?”
Dallas helped me up, then helped Jessie up. She tossed the bottle of nail polish behind a bush, where all the little mini-teens kept all their makeup junk.
“They all went to House 2 for the weekend. We’re here all alone…!”
I laughed as Dallas dragged his second to last word and waggled his eyebrows.
“Woah there, big boy,” Jessie giggled. “No wild parties, alright, Dal?”
“Yeah, whatever. No one listens to you two anyways.”
“Hmm. Let me think for a second…” I put my finger to my chin, and so did Jessie.
We don’t have any friends, Jessie thought to me. He’s kidding, right?
Of course he is. I replied to her mentally.
The five of us, Kayla, Dallas, Jessie, Carly and I are all related. Brothers and sisters, but Kayla and Jessie were more close. They were bound together when they were created.

“Can I just say something?” I said aloud.

Dallas and Jessie nodded, grinning. I guess they were going to say (or scream, I mean) it too.

One, I said mentally.

Two, Dallas.

Three!

“WE’RE ANGELS, BI****S!”
*Edited to fit rules of Teenink.com*
DALLAS


I was excited that we had the whole weekend in the house to ourselves. Who knows why the younger ones went to House 2 when everyone knew that House 2 was having air conditioning problems? Well, too late to remind them now.

One of them had given me a key, the emergency phone numbers, a city directory and some money for groceries if we were all out.

“Now, Dallas,” She had said in her deep man-like voice. “You know the rules, and we all trust you to follow them. You must watch over Carly and Peyton, and make sure they follow the rules as well.”

“Of course,” I smiled in my charming, angelic way. “You won’t be disappointed.”

She grinned goofily, and passed me all of my supplies. I flashed another pearly white smile her way, and she giggled, blushing.

After she had left, I woke up the girls and informed them. I didn’t tune into their mind messages, of course, because who knows what girl stuff they’ll be talking about this time?

I thought of our lost friends and shivered as the girls got up to make some lemonade. They waved for me to follow them, but I sent them a mind message. I’m going to wait here for a little while. They both nodded and walked in through the back door.

Right at that moment, Athena, the mother of all Angels, sent me a mind message.

Dallas.

Yes, Mother Athena.

You have only but twenty-one days until Demon strikes again.

Yes, Mother, I am aware.

You must prepare yourself. You are not currently prepared to fight again.

Yes, Mother. I will prepare to fight.

He will strike Peyton, Dallas.

Mother, how can I prevent this?

That is one thing I do not know. I have sent you down to Earth to kill Demon, and to protect you and the girls from getting hurt. You are the last three living Angels ever, and if he kills you all, all peace on Earth will be destroyed forever, and there will be no afterlife.

Yes, Mother, I am aware.

Good. Now, may the Peace on Earth stay with you always.

And with you, too, Mother.


I fell back to the ground. He was coming for Peyton next? How did Mother Athena know? My heart was beating wildly and I took a shaky breath as I stood form the hard ground. This was more serious than I had imagined, and harder than expected. We had to win and end this war before he captured the wings and souls of my sisters.

“Dallas?”

Carly’s voice startled me, and I hopped from where I was standing.

“Are you alright?” Peyton asked, coming out of the kitchen with a cup of lemonade and ice. “You want some lemonade?”

“No,” I looked down at my feet in their Nike Airs. I couldn’t tell Peyton she was going to die in twenty-one days. But I really should tell them so that they are prepared. “Come to think of it, lemonade sounds great right now.”

JESSICA ROSE

On Saturday, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Dallas. He was zoned out pretty much all the time, barely talking to us. When Peyton and I were getting ready to head out to the beach, Dallas came into my room. He sat cross legged on the carpeted floor, his hands folded in front of him.

“Okay, what’s the problem?” I asked him. My heart was pounding as he looked up at me. His wings sprouted behind him, tearing his grey gym shirt in half. His silver eyes began to glow. This beckoned my inner angel, and my wings sprouted too. It had been a week since I last sprouted my wings, and it felt good to stretch them out once again. I could feel the heat move through my back, down my spine, then up to my face. My eyes felt warm and wet, and I blinked. I smiled at Dallas, who had drifted to my side. I felt his soft wings brush against my bare shoulder. My swimsuit strap, luckily, hadn’t snapped when my wings grew in.

TO BE CONTINUED IN BOOK 2



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.