A Song of Sparrows | Teen Ink

A Song of Sparrows

By Ellabarto, Boston, Massachusetts
Ellabarto, Boston, Massachusetts

Author's note:

Warning; there is profanity

Kerk stood on the watchtower. The watchtower was about a few miles away from the Kerstov keep. 

He perked up. 

There was a chill in the air.

It was September, the turn of fall, so a chill was unusual. 

Kerk shivered. 

He did not like this at all. 

“Hey!” 

Kerk turned towards the shout.

Two watchmen stood by. 

There was a strange ice funnel in the distance. 

It was coming closer.

Kerk’s eyes widened.

That wasn’t an ordinary ice storm; only ice witches could create storms like that.

“Boy!”
Kerk turned as someone grabbed his shoulder.

It was the captain of the watch, General Zain. He looked purely terrified.

That scared Kerk.

Zain was never scared.

“Get on a horse and tell the king!” Zain growled. “Don’t hesitate, boy!”
Kerk didn’t need telling twice.

He ran down, hopped on a horse and galloped towards the king’s palace.

**********************

Myranda and Isi worked with the queen’s blond tresses. 

They were careful not to rip any of her abundant hair from her head, or there would be hell to pay. 

“Tarette!”

Soter rushed into the room. 

“We have a problem!”

“What is it?” the queen asked.

Myranda brushed but listened. This could be very interesting to tell the others.

“There’s an ice witch on the front.”
Tarette stood up so fast Myranda ripped out a few strands.

“What? How?” 

Myranda found it odd that Tarette could say all that while striking her across the face.

“I don’t know. But they’ve killed that blasted elven queen.”
“I hope you don’t mean what I think you mean.”
“I do.”
Myranda had no idea what he meant, but she wanted to. 

She looked at Isi.

The girl nodded.

She was listening as well.

“We’re to have a Council of Kings. And this time, it has nothing to do with the bloody Princess of Thieves.”

Myranda was always curious about the Princess of Thieves. She took many forms, had no identifying marks, her tattoos would sometimes mysteriously vanish, as well as some appearing, then vanishing. Her hair color changed, no one really saw her eyes, but some said they were blue. Others claimed they were amber. 

She’d sometimes have absurd powders on her skin, to make it appear blue or green, but she was mostly fair-skinned. That was the only thing that never really changed. 

No one knew her name, just that she had to be one of the best thieves in the Emerald Isles. 

“In three days time, Tarette,” said Soter. “I suppose we have to invite those witches.”

“Unfortunately,” the queen sighed.

“In three days, we’ll have barbarians in the palace,” Soter groaned.

Myranda wanted to laugh, but she knew better than to do so. 

She saw Isi suppressing a smile. She felt the same way about Soter’s anger. 

More shallow disappointment. But still, witches were absolutely terrifying beings. 

“They will go home right after,” Tarette decided.

“Yes,” said the king. “We will not house witches in our own castle.”
“And maybe,” said Tarette, “we will find that thief who refers to herself as a ‘princess.’”

There was a chill in the air.

Isiabel shivered as she crouched near the royal carriage. She’d done this so many times before, but she wasn’t used to this cold weather. 

Securing the wig, Isiabel prepared her aim. She saw her target, the carriage wheel, and she shot.

Isiabel covered her face with the black cloth, making sure that the feather she had drawn above her eyebrow was showing, as well as the star on her cheekbone. She put her fingers over her eyes and turned them a shade of blue.

Being a witch, she could do little tricks. 

Isiabel then ran to the carriage.

The guards gasped and pulled out their weapons.

But Isiabel was quicker with her knives.

She grabbed a few bags of gold, took a dangling necklace, and bolted.

The guards chased her, but they’d never catch her.

Isiabel ran faster, laughing as the guards tried and failed. Eventually, she lost them. 

She caught her breath in the clearing. 

Isiabel took the cloth covering her face, collapsed and laughed. She closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them. Then something strange caught her eye. 

She saw a patch of winterberries growing. 

“Strange,” she muttered. 

She paused as she heard a raspy voice humming. But it wasn’t humming.

It was singing.

“Down by the lake

Where the winterberry rot

If you make them grow

Just don’t get caught.”
An old creepy folk ballad Isiabel had heard. But it was normally banned and frowned upon. 

The raspy female voice continued.

It sounded so familiar.

“When the Dark Man came

Got in their heads

When the others came

They mourned the dead.”
Isiabel looked in the bushes. There was a veiled woman sitting there. She appeared to be the singer. 

“Down by the lake

Where the winterberry rot….”
The woman began to turn. Her face was shadowed by the dark veil. 

Isiabel wanted to run but she was rooted to the spot.

The woman lowered her hood. 

Isiabel gasped.

The skin on her face was literally rotting off. Most of her teeth had fallen out, her remaining amber eye looking dead and empty. Her auburn hair was tangled and wet. 

“If you make them grow….”

It was her mother.

Isiabel was purely terrified. She got closer to her.

“Just don’t get caught….”
“Augh!” 

Isiabel woke up.

It was all a dream, and the sun was setting. 

She must’ve fallen asleep for a little while. She sometimes did that after an exhilarating chase. 

She grabbed the cloth and got up.

She caught something and saw a patch of winterberries growing.

But there wasn’t a woman singing about them. 

Isiabel decided she’d best get back to her lair, with her friend. 

Cedric would be absolutely enraged.

She ran. 

Every time the wind blew, she could’ve sworn she heard her mother’s raspy voice, singing that old folk song. 

She continued to run until the sun was almost down.

That was when she saw the cave.

It was by a stream that led into a river, which led into the River of Kings, which led into the Lady’s Lake.

Isiabel shivered. 

That lake was full of winterberries.

She needed to shrug it off, be happy with her jewels, and head home.

She pushed past the flowering ivy into the cave. It was warmly lit with a hammock hanging on a window-like spot and a bed by a stream place. Some of the corners were filled with ornate pots and gems, as well as jewelry, books and parchment strewn around. Inside was a clothesline, today filled with freshly washed clothing. 

Cedric had done the laundry that day.

“Where have you been?” Cedric stood up from the chair. He was two years older than Isiabel, his black hair now past his shoulders, dark green eyes looking almost black against his pale skin. Unlike Isiabel, he wore very dark clothing. 

“I was stealing,” Isiabel snapped curtly. “How did you sell?”
“Good enough. But that’s not the question!”

“Cedric, I’m sorry. You’re not my father, you’re my best friend. And it would be a real problem if you were.” 

Cedric sighed. “I’m sorry I snapped at you.

“I’m sorry I was late.”
Isiabel shucked off her gloves and wig, revealing her tattoos and long, wavy auburn hair.

“I’m going to the grotto.”
The grotto was where the two of them bathed. Isiabel snuck behind the thick curtain of ivy. She sighed in the mirror. The spell had faded, making her eyes amber again. 

She wore a blue shirt, a vest made out of fur stolen from a tanner, and brown trousers. She often wore black boots, but sometimes went barefoot in summers. 

She used powder to cover up the rose tattoo on her foot, or drew over it.           

Isiabel had seventeen tattoos in total.

The compass on her left palm and the moon with a spear on her right. The rose on her foot. 

She also had a sun with a spear through it on her right shoulder blade, and a heart on her left. As in the design of an actual heart, to show she wasn’t as heartless and selfish as Soter. In the center of her back was a large galleon called the Kingslayer. On the small of her back was written Long Live the Queen.

She had another rose, this one on her hip, as well as an owl tattooed on her thigh, a wolf’s face on her knee, and a hummingbird on her ankle.

She also had an ace of spades design on her left forearm, a wolf carrying a spear on her right wrist, a sign of Kiara Bramblefoot’s crew, under it being the seven suits needed for playing cards. On her collarbone were two birds for her parents, followed by a cluster of twenty for the crew, and a fleur-de-lis on her abdomen. 

Her mother was obsessed with the symbol. She had it everywhere, and it was in all of her sketches.

Despite the fact that Kiara Bramblefoot was half-mad, Isiabel missed her.

Kiara had been lost at sea, as well as her crew of twenty. Isiabel’s father, Wyatt, was a merman. He was killed by Soter’s soldiers before Isiabel could take her first steps. 

Cedric’s story wasn’t any better. His mother was a mermaid who left him at his birth to his father, Yeoman Thorn, was killed in the same shipwreck that killed Kiara. 

Isiabel sighed as she sunk into the naturally warm waters of the springs.

She looked at her three favorite pieces of jewelry.

Her mother’s old pendant, an aquamarine circle on a brown string. 

Her mother’s magic bracelet. It was how Isiabel knew she was dead. Kiara had faded, being replaced by Isiabel.

Lastly, her grandmother Eo’s ring. A small blue dragon curled around her left middle finger.

Isiabel sighed again. 

She was sixteen, ready for anything the world had to offer. Even if it was a freezing cold fall.

Delia finished serving the table. She pushed the few strands of auburn hair that had escaped the wrap back as she went back to Lorn, the tavern keeper.

“Anyone else?” she asked him. 

“I don’t think so,” he muttered. “Naomi, Rose and Lyssa’ve got it covered. Your shift is free, Delia.”
“Thank you.”
Delia went upstairs. She opened the door, creeping through Lyssa’s side of the loft. 

She then pulled aside the painting that led to her room. 

It wasn’t much; a small place with a bed by the window with a candle in it.

The window looked out to the sea. The sea was far, but when she was younger Delia pretended she was a lighthouse keeper’s daughter, keeping the candle lit so her love would find her.

But Delia was fourteen the last time she’d thought of that when she lit the candle. Now it was just a tradition to cope with being stuck as an orphan barmaid.

Delia’s parents, crofters, had found her when she was a baby, the only signs of her parentage was her date of birth written on the note, a name, and a ring on a silver chain.

Delia wore the ring as it’s own. On her left middle finger, a small blue dragon curling. 

She also wore only the chain.

Delia was now seventeen and a half years old, had been working at the tavern for nearly four years, and was all alone in the world.

Lying down on the bed, Delia sighed and twisted the ring. 

She pulled out her journal and began to write.

Millie, one of the girls, had given it to her six months ago for her seventeenth birthday. 

Delia hadn’t written in it, but she decided to start now.

September Twenty-Second

My name is Delia and I am a seventeen year old barmaid. 

Delia felt stupid but kept writing.

I barely avoided Mathai today. Mathai is a boy that enjoys making my life a misery. He went too far this time, but Lorn caught him. 

He went after Millie, one of the other barmaids. She gave me this very  journal. He and his cronies, Conlan, Isaac and Patrick, ordered ale, threw it at her, mocked her, and refused to pay. 

Eventually, Lorn, the tavern keeper, had enough. He told the boys to leave Millie alone.

“If you wanna huck good liquor around,” he growled, “you boys better clean it up and pay for it.”
“I am eighteen!” Mathai whined.

“You’re very stupid and irresponsible for your age,” Lyssa retorted.

“Silence!” he snapped. “YOU’RE barmaids so YOU can clean this mess up.”

“You’re not a lord,” Naomi remarked while serving tables. 

“It’s your mess,” I said to Mathai while picking up some spare mugs. “Your mummy isn’t here to clean it up for you.”

His mouth was wide open, looking for a way to snap back. He started moving again when Rose, the Yyraenese barmaid, threw a cloth at him and yelled, “Get cleanin’. All’ya!”
The looks on Mathai, Conlan, Isaac and Patrick’s faces! Ha!

It was all worth it even for the scowl he gave me. 

But Lorn had his crossbow out, so Mathai knew better than to come at any of us. 

And that was about it. I continued my shift, and now I am here, writing.

Signing off, 

Delia

Delia marveled at how lovely her signature was. It was good enough to be written by a lady’s hand.

She read it over, laughing at the memory of Mathai’s face as he had to clean up the ales he had so cruelly thrown at Millie.

Delia was miserable most of the time, but she was mainly happy living off memories like this. 

In such an unfair world, she was glad that there was some justice out there.

Whether it be by the crotchety old tavern keeper or the king himself.

Delia was still glad.

Outpost Three wasn’t the best place to grow up in. 

Cecily knew that better than anyone. 

Way the forest, it was a bit better than the other seven outposts, but it wasn’t the best. 

Cecily had been born in Outpost Six, but she’d been moved to Outpost Five when she was four, and spent ten years there. She was then moved to Outpost Three, and had been there for the past three years. 

“Cecily!” called the General.

“Yes?” she asked.

“There’s been a chill,” he told her. “A witch has broken free from her icy prisons. And we need people by Outpost Two.”

Two was one of the nicer outposts.

“And?” Cecily inquired. 

“We need someone to go,” he said. “And that’s where you’ve been chosen.”
“Alright.”

“Pack your things and get ready!”

Cecily nodded and went to her room to go pack.

She had very little belongings, her favorite being a mirror. 

She looked in the little, handheld mirror.

Her face was tanned, her hair long, wavy and blond from not being moved in so long, her eyes the color of the sky. A true sun-child.

She went to the stables, where there were eight other comrades, including Simon.

“You got chosen too?” Cecily asked.

“Yes,” he said. “I assume you did too. Or you just came to kiss me goodbye.”

Cecily laughed. “Nope. I was also chosen.”
“Alright.” Simon mounted his horse.

Cecily picked a white horse, who she’d named Cloud. 

She mounted him, and, following the General, the group rode north.

Cecily realized how much she was going to miss Outpost Three. 

At least it wasn’t dead cold like Outpost Two. 

After two hours, the fast horses had made it. 

Cecily lined up behind Simon. 

“I hate this part,” she whispered.

“Me too,” said Simon. “But I hate it more.”

Cecily knew he had good reason; Cecily’s hair grew quickly, but it had been two years since Simon had come to Outpost Three, and his dark hair had just fully grown back. 

At the entrance, Cecily handed a guard her bag. 

It would be taken to her cell. That was what they called the rooms of the Outposts, they were so small.

At the entrance, a guard stopped each person and sat them down for cutting their hair and shaving their heads. Then they were all sent through separate passages. 

This Cecily was grateful for. 

Simon, frowning through the whole procedure, was sent through a passage.

Cecily was the last, since her hair was so long. The other two women, Thea and Madrie, cut their hair, but Cecily didn’t.

She liked the feeling.

They cut her hair and shaved her head. Then she was led through the passage where she was given new clothes. 

Cecily went to her cell, changed, and looked out the window at the snowy world.

She was ready now.

Jade watched the young princess Malana as she sewed.

“You don’t have to watch her.”
Jade turned.

Her closest friend, Princess Eira, was standing right there.

Eira was pretty, but a different kind of pretty. 

Her hair was long and wavy, but it was purely a shade of midnight black. Her eyes were purely the color of ice, but could be warm or cold, depending on Eira’s mood.

Eira was pretty, sure, but Soter and Tarette hated her more than anything.

Jade could see why Tarette hated Eira; she was Daneria’s daughter, a potential threat to the throne, et cetera.

Petty.

But the reason Soter hated Eira eternally remained a mystery to Jade. 

After all, he didn’t know Eira’s secret that Jade kept with her life. The girl was a fire and ice witch. 

Soter had many children, even from before he was crowned king. 

Just why he chose to hate Eira would always confuse Jade.

Jade herself was different and looked down upon by the nobles. She was a foundling from Death’s Desert. The Southern Desert was the home of elementals. 

But Jade didn’t have magic. 

Neither did her mother, Carnelian. 

But Jade somehow ended up at King Soter’s palace, while Carnelian was possibly dead.

She had almost no recollection of how she got there, or if Carnelian was already dead, or anything. 

All she knew is if it wasn’t for Eira, she’d take her chances and go back to Death’s Desert.

But there was Aneira Einar, the only person that treated her with any decency at all.

And Eira needed her too. 

“My Ladies!”

A messenger boy burst in through the double doors.

“Yes?” asked Eira. 

Jade marveled at how her “yes” was much kinder than the other royals.

Malana looked up from her weaving judgmentally. Malana resembled Soter, with her dark hair and pale skin. But her green eyes were those of Tarette’s. 

“The Council of Kings has begun!” he gasped.

“Thank you,” said Eira.

She stood, bowed, and left.

Jade followed her, wondering what the council could be about. 

************************

There hadn’t been a meeting for nearly fifty years. And Soter hated elves and dwarves, and detested elementals. What could possibly make him want to host a council?

Jade frowned in pure confusion as she walked into the great hall.

Sure enough, there were elves, dwarves and elementals. But there seemed to be as few as possible.

She saw only two elves; one was a young girl, the other a young man.

The girl looked about fifteen, her brown hair hanging in loose waves and braided with flowers, her eyes constantly shifting colors, her skin tan from her time in the sun. She wore a white chiton, and golden sandals, as well as a crown woven from the most precious materials. 

The guard accompanying her wore armor that appeared to be made out of tree bark, had dark hair, and also shifting eyes.

He looked about eighteen, maybe nineteen.

The dwarf king had only brought two companions; he brought a guard that looked like a short bear in armor, and a short woman. Both seemed sturdy, but the king seemed as if he could withstand a storm.

The elemental group had seemed to bring at least seven people.

The leader seemed to be a dark-skinned man with the whitest teeth Jade had ever seen. His eyes were dark tunnels lit with joy and welcoming, and he wore blue robes.

At his side were two women decked in silver armor and cloths wrapped around their mouths, only showing their cold, angular brown eyes. Both carried spears, and looked ready to kill. 

A man nearly seven feet tall also stood there in silver armor and a sword. His face could be seen. His puffy mouth was set in a hard line, but his eyes seemed welcoming enough. 

A hooded, withered figure was also standing there, gender undeterminable, face hidden, the only thing visible being spindly hands. Jade felt memories of her time in Death’s Desert rushing back to her. Memories of escaping claws of deadly creatures. 

Good times.

A less welcoming, more alluring figure was a tall, pale woman in her twenties, wearing all leather, weapons across her belt, half her face hidden by a hat. All Jade could see were her red lips, a bit of her feline nose, and a crescent-shaped scar that began her chin, and went up, remaining hidden by the shadows. 

Next to her stood a young boy. His hair was white, his skin a similar shade of copper as Jade’s, his eyes browned and filled with anxiety and terror. He couldn’t’ve been more than thirteen years old. 

“Hello, Your Highnesses!” said the king of the elementals, beaming his blinding smile.

Soter rolled his eyes. “Get on with it, then.”
The elemental king’s smile faded. “I am King Carnus of the Southern Desert. And there’s been a problem.”
“This problem killed my mother!” said the elven girl.

“Ryana’s death is why we’re here, Nadora,” Carnus said patiently. “Describe what happened.”

“Mother was fighting against an army of hooded things,” Nadora said. “I don’t know what they were, but they certainly weren’t mortal.”

“If I had to bet, we have an army of the dead on our hands,” Carnus muttered. “We need an army of tributes, delegates, to help us find the source of this army. Any tribute of mine?”

“I will,” said the hooded woman. “And my apprentice, Ashes, will be with me.”

The boy looked terrified, but nodded. 

“My top guard, Bret,” said the dwarf king. “I, Lord Garlath, send Bret Brevison as my tribute, if he wants to.”

“It would be an honor, my lord.” Bret bowed. 

“My brother, Virion, will go,” said Nadora. “That depends. Brother, do you want to?”

“It’s the best way to serve my queen,” he said, bowing to her.

“You’re my brother,” she said. “No need to bow.”
“Enough with the mushy stuff,” Soter grumbled.

“I’ll go!”

Everyone turned, and even Jade was shocked.

Eira.

She had volunteered to go on this dangerous quest.

“I’ll go as well, then,” said Jade. 

“Very well,” said Carnus. “Any objections?”

“Yes,” Soter growled. “That witch and her pet will not be going on this quest.”
“It’s our best shot,” said Eira. “I hope you understand that, Father.”

“You think you know it all, don’t you?” he hissed. 

“Maybe I know better than you,” Eira snapped back. 

“You know nothing. Women have no place correcting a man, and women know nothing of being in charge!”

“Enough!” Carnus shouted. “I am staying here to make sure you don’t kill your daughter.”

“I will not have an abomination in my palace!”

“Sir, we are equal! If anything, I am a better man than you will ever be!”
Jade grinned as Carnus put Soter down. He deserved it. Soter always put people down for no reason, and it was good to see justice served.

Even if it was by the witch king.

Orion threw a spear at the harpy. 

He’d been hunting when the dreaded bird-woman had come at him. 

The spear missed her, so Orion grabbed his bow and arrow. He nocked one and aimed it at the vulture-woman. 

It hit her right in the talon. She shrieked and flew away. 

“And don’t come back!”

Orion slung the deer carcass over his shoulder and carried the string of possums and squirrels. He made his way back to the village.

Orion was a tall young man, with dark skin, straight, shiny black hair tied back for hunting, and warm brown eyes that welcomed anyone.

Orion walked back to his seaside village. 

It was a sunny day, and the sun was an hour and a half away from sinking into the vast ocean.

Orion walked up to the first pedler.

Arus. 

“What be that?” asked Arus, the old man. 

“Deer,” said Orion. 

He didn’t like Arus, but the old man was literally pouring money.

“How much be it, boy?” asked the old man. 

“Twenty gold pieces,” said Orion. 

“Too much, too much! I’ll buy it for fifteen.”

“Nineteen.”

“Fifteen.”
“Eighteen.”

“Fifteen.”

“Eighteen and a silver.”
“Fifteen.”

“Eighteen and a copper.”
“Sixteen.”

“Eighteen and a gray.”

“Sixteen and a silver.”

“Eighteen and a blue.”

“Seventeen.”

“Eighteen and a brown.”
“Eighteen.”

“Done!” 

Orion smiled as he handed Arus the deer carcass for eighteen gold pieces.

The old man grumbled, but handed Orion the currency.

“Got a wife yet?” Arus inquired.

“No.”

“Shame. You’re fifteen, right, boy?”

“Nearly seventeen.”
“A pity. I may be half-blind as a bat and half-deaf as an ass, but I know you’re a good man. Any woman would be lucky to have you.”

“Thanks….”

Orion hoped Arus was feeling alright. 

Normally, he told Orion how stupid he was for not being able to find anyone.

Orion headed home to his shack. He lived there with his grandmother and his sister Ioli.

Where is Ioli?

Just three days ago, she’d declared the beach off-limits, since it was her hunting grounds.

Pity, since she was the best huntress in a hundred years. And she’d solely restricted her area to the beaches.

Along with Katrina. 

For reasons unknown to Orion. 

Could she be both hunting and gardening? he wondered. It was known that Trina was as good at gardening as Ioli was at hunting.

Orion came into his house. 

Grandmama was asleep in her rocking chair, a knitted parcel still on the sticks.

A pot of stew was slowly boiling, awaiting a meat substance. 

Orion pulled out the last remaining catch—- a possum—- dressed it, chopped it, and put it in the pot. 

The door then swung open and Ioli and Tryna walked in. 

“Where in the hell have you two been?” Orion asked.

Ioli frowned at him.

Most of her curly dark hair had escaped her braid, and her brown eyes were worn, her caramel-colored skin soaked with sweat, but she still looked ready to put up a good fight against her little brother.

“Hunting,” she said curtly.

Trina held up a string of fish.

The girl, a Southern-isle rarity with her red hair and blue eyes, looked like she was about to collapse.

“Fine,” Orion grumped. “Possum tonight.”
“Yum!” said Ioli. “I’ll go wash up. Trina, help yourself to some fish.”
“Alright,” said Trina, taking two and leaving.

Orion thought it could be his imagination, but was there paint on Trina’s elbow?

Isiabel looked at the abandoned temple. Supposedly, before the rule of Drusilla, priests came there to do who-knew-what and whatever the hell priests did. 

She was now standing on top of the cave in the hill, which she called the Thief’s Hill, staring at the abandoned place of worship. 

“I hope you’re not thinking what I think you’re thinking.” Cedric appeared behind her, a frown on his face.  

“Oh I am thinking what you hope I’m not thinking,” Isiabel responded. “Tonight or tomorrow?”

“Let’s get it over with,” Cedric grumbled. 

“Yay!” 

Isiabel ran into the cave for her bow and arrows. She stuck her daggers in her belt, preparing for whatever the hell the temple brought.

She then scrambled back on top of the hill. 

“Now what?” she asked. 

“Let’s go,” said Cedric sadly.

Cedric was very religious, and probably one of the few thieves to ever pray to their god, Bugara.

There were seven gods in the Emerald Isles; Drakiana, the mother goddess, Jova, the god of humans, Yamaha, the elven god, Brevi, the dwarf god, Kera, goddess of witches, Bugara, the god of thieves, travelers, and all in between the four territories.

And Heliorva, the heartless goddess of Death. 

So Isiabel sang a religious hymn on the way to keep Cedric mollified. 

“Ah, ah, ah

In the green thicket

In North, dwarves mine

In the West, humans grind

In the East, elves thrive

In the South, witches survive

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“The Gods are watching

The Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Drakiana, Queen of all

She rules from her hall

The goddess of prophecy,

She sees all

She knows all

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Brevi, the dwarf lord

He loves the horde of stones

His miners bestow upon him

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Jova, the human deity, 

The spares churches for their piety

He believes the young pure and fair

Why his temple remains bare.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“In the Green Land

The Gods are watching

The Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching!

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Kera, ruler of the sorcerers

She helps them forever and a day

She keeps her dear people safe

And all harm and spite away.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Though thieves and knaves scarcely pray

Bugara protects them anyway

This cunning god cares not

Just as long as he gets his way.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Yamaha, ruler of elven lines

They keep the ties of loyalty to strong

Dare defy them

All in your life will go wrong.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“In the Green land

In the tossing sea

The Gods are watching

The Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching!

Ah, ah, ah

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Lastly, the most feared seen

Heliorva, the Afterlife’s queen

Be good, respect her

Or your soul is her’s

And this thief does not pray

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Respect her or your soul is hers

Respect her or your soul is hers

And this thief does not pray.

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“In the thicket

In the North, dwarves mine

In the West, humans grind

In the East, elves thrive

In the South, witches survive

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“In the Green land

In the tossing sea

The Gods are watching

The Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching!

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“Brevi, Jova, Bugara

Ah, ah, ah

Heliorva, Yamaha, Kera

Hmm, hmm, hmm

And our Queen Drakiana

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

“In the Green land

In the tossing sea

The Gods are watching

The Gods are watching

The Seven Gods are watching!

Hmm hmm hmm

Hmm hmm hmm

Ah, ah, ah

Ah, ah, ah

Hmm, hmm, hmm

Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm.”

“I’m glad to see you have some respect,” was all Cedric said in reply. “A good voice too. Remind me why you never sang in town?”

Isiabel rolled her eyes and continued in the direction of the temple.

It was most likely a temple of Kera. A female-looking statue was there. She wasn’t too majestic-looking, nor was she terrifying. 

She had to be Kera.

While Isiabel searched the temple, Cedric prayed at the goddess's feet. 

Isiabel never understood religion.

Maybe that was why she never had any luck before she became a thief. 

Isiabel searched the temples.

There were gold coins, the old currency, and other pretty but useless items, like jewelry.

Isiabel pulled out her sack and filled it with the trinkets and treasures.

“Don’t break anything!” was all Cedric yelled from across the temple. 

“I won’t,” Isiabel called back, heading down to the temple’s cellar.

Nice, she thought. 

She crept down. 

There was a tomb, and no jewelries.

Isiabel decided to lift the top of the tomb.

There was a skeleton.

Skeletons never scared Isiabel, but this one gave her the chills. 

It was holding a book.

It had been a while since Isiabel had read anything remotely good. 

She pulled the book from the skeleton’s hand.

Immediately, it came to life. It's—- her—-- boney hands clasped around Isiabel’s throat.

If she could scream, she would. But she fought the skeleton’s death grip. 

Isiabel yanked out her knife and hit the skeleton’s elbow with the hilt.

The arms let go, the right arm flying into a wall.

Isiabel grabbed the book, and ran upstairs screaming.

“What’s wrong?” Cedric asked.

“Something came alive!”

“Don’t disturb the dead!” was all Cedric yelled as they ran out of the temple.

Angelica was in deep thought as Freya brushed her hair.

It was hard to believe that Angelica and Freya were half sisters. 

Angelica’s curly dark hair contrasted greatly with Freya’s blond waves. Her heavy-lidded dark eyes were so different from her maid’s wide blue ones. Her sharp, clear features contrasted with the button nose and freckles of the young servant’s. 

What could the council be about?

Angelica thought of so many things as the hairbrush combed through her hair.

Ygar Kerstov and his wife, Olenna, had been at the council for a day. 

Angelica hoped they’d stay, probably longer. Davyd and Daryn were idiots, but Davyd was stuck-up at being the Kerstov heir.

Harry was a wild child, and so was Iona, but she was maturing. 

And Jordie, the baby.

Angelica sighed.

Ygar and Olenna had tried to betroth her to Aleksander Alswen. 

He had the same personality as Davyd, just a bit more of an ego.

She also wondered how she’d still be able to get with Kai afterwards.

Angelica Swan.

That was a pretty name.

She also wondered if anyone would find out she was an Earth witch.

Only Kai knew. Maybe if she decided to leave, run away with Kai….

“Will you?”

“What?” Angelica jumped. Had Freya read her thoughts?

“Marry Aleksander,” Freya said.

Angelica felt herself breathe a little easier. 

“Absolutely not.”
“Good.” Freya covered her mouth. “I’m so sorry. It wasn’t my place to speak poorly of a lord!”
“He is not a lord, and no one will hear you,” said Angelica. “And you’re right.”

Freya smiled.

“Who’s right?” 

Angelica’s other half-sisters, Antonia and Helene, barged in. 

“What?” Angelica asked.

Antonia and Helene were so different, it was hard to believe they were twins.

Antonia looked like a Kerstov, though her dark hair was straight. Her narrow eyes looked down on everyone in a way that seemed to judge, and she had several pockmarks on her face, making her look much crueler and colder than she actually was.

Helene looked like a sun-deprived girl from Yyraen. Her long red hair had the same volume as a Kerstov woman’s, and her green-amber eyes were longing to do more than be a servant in the Kerstov Keep. Unlike Antonia, her eyes showed her actually thoughts.

“Who were you talking about?” Antonia asked.

“Nothing!” Angelica said. “Doesn’t Iona need you for something?”
“No,” said Antonia. 

“Why are you here?”

“Why are you?”

“This is my room.”

“And this is my home.”
Angelica bit her tongue. It was well known that Antonia was born to one of Ygar’s many mistresses, so she was born out of wedlock. 

People tended to look down on women like that. 

Angelica sighed. The unfairness of this world drove her nearly insane. 

“We are talking about nothing,” she told Antonia. “Just about Aleksander.”

“Have you decided to marry him?” Antonia asked. 

“I don’t know.”

Why are women always thought to marry? Men don’t need to marry, men are never judged, just women. Why is this world so unfair?

“When will you come to a decision?” Angelica was shocked to hear quiet Helene finally speak. 

“I don’t know.” 

Antonia pursed her lips and left. 

“Tell us nothing then. Spill it all to Freya.”
“Get out!”
Helene frowned and left after Antonia. 

Angelica sighed and relaxed again.

Helina stepped abovedeck. 

The night was going well, peaceful without a navy chasing her. 

“Captain!”
Hel was snapped out of her train of thought by Tia. Her second mate.

“What?” Helina asked.

“There’s a hurricane coming.”
“Oh, great.”
A week ago, Helina had fought a son of the ocean god Creus.

And won.

The idiot had tried to shoot down her ship, so she’d struck back at him, unknowingly blinding him and killing half his crew. 

Now Creus was pissed

And Helina Bramblefoot was in trouble with him. 

She prayed to Oshyra, the goddess of pirates, but even she couldn’t get in the way of Creus’s wrath. 

In Tia’s words, Helina was screwed.

“Brutus!” she called.

Kyle, the wispy Air elemental, caused a wind to get his attention.

Brutus, the deaf first mate, steered the ship, wrote his answers, and felt the vibration of voices.

He turned his eye towards her and nodded.

He jumped down and pulled out his notes.

“What is it?” he wrote.

“Creus,” Helina wrote back. “Stop steering. I need to reckon with him myself. This has gone on for too long.”
Kyle anchored the boat.

“If I die,” said Helina, “Tia, tell Brutus he’s in charge.”

Tia nodded. “Hel, come back alive.”

“Of course.”

Helina dropped a rowboat and lowered herself down into it. 

“Creus!” she called. “Coward! I will meet you on that island, right there. You better come over there you cowardly deity, yeah.”
The storm rumbled a way as if to say “I accept your challenge, puny mortal.”

Chuckling, Helina rowed the boat.

She had lived twenty years, but she was the best and most prominent pirate since her aunt, Kiara Bramblefoot’s, time as a pirate. 

Her red hair, often braided, was the first sign of her, as well as the scar across her left amber eye. The scar across her red-painted lip was her most prominent feature, though, as well as her black hat, white blouse, brown breeches, black riding boots, black jacket, multiple piercings including a nose ring, and her ring; a small blue dragon curled around her left middle finger.

Helina rowed to the island, through the stormy waters.

Salty liquid splashed her face, but she didn’t care. This was the way she liked it.

On the small cay, there seemed to be the eye of the storm; a calm place for Helina Bramblefoot to face off against the deadly god Creus.

Helina beached her boat and waited.

Finally, lightning flashed and he stood there.

Creus was a regular man, despite his horns. He looked like a pirate in his prime, yet as if he had been stranded on that exact island.

“Helina Bramblefoot.” His deep voice was like twenty men speaking at once. “You have killed my son. Have you come to pay?”

“I’ve come to explain,” Helina snapped. 

“Ruining his life?”
“You’re a god. Can’t you restore his sight?”
“I did! But you blinded him! So. You. Must. Pay.”
“Let’s get it over with.” Helina drew her sword out. The fine steel glittered. “Don’t you have a weapon?”
The water rose out of the water, slowly forming into a sword in midair. Once it was formed, the hilt hardened and turned into ice, as well as the thin blade. It floated into Creus’s hand, and he grabbed it.

“Yes.”

He charged at Helina.

She parried it, jabbing his arm. 

Lighting struck. 

The eye was no longer the eye; it was the focus of the raging storm.

Rain poured on Helina as she fought the god. She shrieked as the sword slashed her across the face. 

It was so close to her eye….

She struck at Creus, wounding his arm.

“Die!” he growled, slashing at her again.

She jumped, the blade scraping her right arm.

She sighed with relief.

Bramblefoots were either left-handed or ambidextrous, so they could live without their right arms. 

Unless, of course, they were archers. Then that would be a problem. 

The god came at Helina with an insane ferocity.

She cried out as the ice blade cut into her limbs and face. 

He kicked her in the stomach, and she fell.

“You die now.” His face was dripping with blood and rain.

Now Helina came with insanity. Screaming, as blood, rain and sweat poured down her face, she attacked the god.

But she wasn’t immortal, and he was, so she was naturally tired from dueling.

She succeeded in slashing off a chunk of Creus’s horn.

A look of rage and annoyance crossed the god of the sea’s face.

“You disrespectful mortal,” he growled. “Your justice will come now.”
Helina tried to strike, but he knocked the sword out of her hands.

She looked towards it and back at the dueling deity. Before she ran to get it, the god drove the icy blade into her abdomen.

Helina looked down, shocked. 

The god removed it.

“You have paid now,” he said, raising the sword as Helina felt her word go black.

No.

The sword was about to come down on her head, before a female voice boomed “ENOUGH!”
Helina turned her eyes. 

There was a woman in a black dress and silvery-violet hair. That was all Helina saw of her, since her vision was blurred by the rain, blood and exhaustion. 

But she knew who she was.

Oshyra.

“Let her live,” Oshyra said. 

“Fine,” Creus growled. He turned back to Hel. “A quick death is too good for you.”
Helina felt her vision closing.

“You will live, Helina Bramblefoot,” said Oshyra. “Today is not your day to die.”
That reassured and scared Helina. 

She felt the darkness closing around her as the storm raged on. 

Creus may not have killed me, so he is taking his rage out on everyone who sails the sea.

Helina barely felt the sand seeping into her wounds as her eyes began to close.

The water flashed a shade of bright blue and a wave carried her out to sea as she saw no more, feeling the grips of the salty ocean around her.

Eliza looked at the horizon. Below the setting sun was a cloud of blood red smoke. 

The Darkness.

It killed everything that stayed in it for too long. 

Eliza knew that well.

She and her group had fled the Darkness, and all Eliza knew was that it would be at least two years before the death cloud reached them.

Eliza heard a soft hum.

It was Selene, the group’s songbird.

“She can’t leave on a whim

He has tricked her to think she needs him

He has suppressed her for years

Smiled at all her tears

He fills her head with lies

Grinning as she cries

But she’s not solely alone

For she knows love.

“The princess, pure as a dove

Wants to marry for love

But the greedy king, damn him to hell

Wants her to marry for his own wealth.

She cries at this

But the king will dismiss

Any hint of love

Any little dove.

“The princess still sees

The man she longs to be 

With.

She plan to run

By the sleeping sun

With him.

“The king knows

So in the snow

He finds them preparing to leave

He burns the man for the princess to see

He tries to fill her head with lies

Laughing as she cries

“The princess, consumed with rage

Tired of being in a cage

Pull out the knife

Quick as a fife

Sticks it in the king’s black heart.

“When she returns home

She rules with what she knows

She will miss her love

He sees her from above

How much she’s grown

How she’s not alone

And how 

She knows how

To love.”

Eliza sighed. The song was about a young princess, who’s cruel king wouldn’t let her marry a man she loved, so he killed him.

The princess then got revenge and ruled the kingdom as a benevolent ruler, better than the king ever could.

Eliza peered over to where Selene was singing. 

A red snake, called the Bloody Baron, slithered into a hole. 

Selene could charm a snake like no one’s business.

Her thick black hair was tied back, her tan skin shining with sweat, but she managed to scare away the snake. 

She turned towards Eliza.

Her red lips frowned, her midnight blue eyes relaxed.

“Sorry,” she said.

“No need,” said Eliza. “Come on. We found a farmhouse. The others are waiting.”

Selene grabbed her herbs as they headed for the farmhouse.

Well, farmhouses. 

There were two neighboring houses and a barn. 

The group of sixteen people split up.

Eliza lived in the blue house, while Selene lived in the dark brown house.

The people who lived in the dark brown house were the young couple of Hansen and Laena, old man Georgio, and a younger man named Sam, and his cousins, Mara and Dan.

The brown house was small. And Laena was with a child, so it made sense to have so little people. 

In Eliza’s house lived her brother Markus, his friends Edmund and Robert, Eliza’s friend Beatrice, Beatrice’s half-sister Bran and her friend Aerin, and Beatrice’s cousins, Morgan, Erol and Oliver. Edmund was sick, so he remained in the room under the stairs, and Bran had a limp after she was attacked by one of the beasts. 

The Darkness also had beasts, which made it more terrifying.

Fortunately, the darkness was far away, and wouldn’t attack anyone for a while.

“Eliza! Selene!”
Eliza gasped.

Markus, Robert, Aerin, Sam, and Hansen seemed to be preparing for something. They had all the weapons….

“No!” said Eliza. “You are not going on a hunt. You could die!”
“Eliza, relax,” said Marcus. “Little sister, I’ll be back as soon as possible, and so will we all. Right?”
Everyone nodded. 

Eliza sighed. 

“Be back,” she told him. “But I warn you, if I hear that you died, I will kill you.”
“Alright,” Markus laughed. 

Eliza saw Laena crying on the porch.

“I’ll be back,” Hansen promised her. “I’ll see our child, Laena, don’t worry.”
The group left.

Eliza sighed.

She went to the lake and caught a fish.

She looked at her reflection.

She was eighteen, with long, rusty-brown hair, blue eyes, and the remnants of a blue dress. Selene wore a more colorful dress, with a white top embroidered with golden flowers, a layered skirt every color of the rainbow, and black shoes.

And Beatrice looked like she came back from a funeral, her black hair cut short, her angular eyes always filled with sadness. 

“Eliza!”

It was Bran.

Her white hair caught the setting sunlight, her leg dragging on the ground.

“What took so long?” she asked. 

“Selene sang a snake back into its home.”

“Wow. It impresses me how she charms animals. Has she charmed a bear?”

“No. Why?”
“With that skirt,” said Beatrice, “she could attract a beast from miles away.”

“Bea, don’t be mean,” Eliza scolded. “Selene is very talented. She could possibly sing a bear away.”

Beatrice mulled on that. 

“That,” she said, “could be interesting. I mean, bears are tough.”

Eliza nodded and went into the house.

She heard a scream from the cupboard. 

She then heard someone shushing Edmund as he had another fit.

Mara walked out.

“He’s as well as before,” she said.

Eliza knew it meant he was terrible. But would it get worse?

She hoped not.

The delegates walked into the woods. 

Tori Zo watched.

First was the princess, Aneira Einar, followed by her guard, Jade Swallow. Tori didn’t want to get too close, since Jade could end her.

Jade had never killed anyone, but she looked like she might one day.

Then was the elf-prince, Virion. Tori was also worried about him. 

He must’ve been a few thousand years old, and he was a general for a very long time.

Then there was the dwarf, Bret. 

He didn’t seem too bad, though he looked like a small bear with armor.

The witches were there last.

People started throwing things at the witches. The woman, her face shaded by a hat, seemed totally unfazed, but the boy looked terrified.

Tori felt a pang of sympathy. 

She wanted to run, tell them to stop, but she couldn’t. 

Her toes wiggled, but she kept still.

She finally lost her cool when a tomato hit the boy in the face and he fell.

“Enough!” Tori shouted.

“Out of the way, you halfbred rat!” shouted someone.

Tori’s mother was Shyrin, while her father, a merchant named Musekin Zo, was Shima. 

Musekin was always away, so Tori was mainly on her own.

“I said leave the kid alone,” Tori growled.

A potato flew out of nowhere and hit her in the face.

General Zain was looming over her.

I didn’t wanna see your ugly face back from the fort so soon, Tori thought.

“You Shima devil,” he said. Without warning, he brought his foot down on Tori’s stomach.

She gasped, coughing up some blood.

The crowd jeered and laughed. 

Tori got up and scrambled away.

“Good little weasel!” Zain jeered. “Next time, it won’t just be my boot you feel!”

************************

Back at the large cabin, Tori recounted her terrible events of that day. 

Mathai, one of the cruelest people in the village, had hurled mud and insults at her that morning, while mocking the shape of her eyes by squinting. 

Next, the merchant at the market had refused to sell her food, since her father was a rival of his.

Then, a young woman had asked Tori why she never went back to Shima. When she’d seen Tori’s tears, she told her about the delegates leaving, so Tori had to follow and see them.

Finally, Zain had stomped, humiliated, and threatened her. All for standing up to some nobles for bullying a child.

Someone like her. 

Tori sighed. She knew if witches could somehow be allowed to fight another witch, then a Shima girl could be accepted in this village.

Isiabel looked at the temple she had raided. 

There was a light on in it. 

She peered in the windows, and saw the strangest group of all time sleeping there.

Two humans, two witches, a dwarf and an elf were all huddled on the floor. 

The light-skinned human and elf looked fancy dressed. Maybe they had enough to sell.

Isiabel grinned. This was the official jackpot. 

She crept home, preparing for her ambush in the morning.

************************

“I know that face.” Cedric did not look pleased by being woken up. “Who was it?”
“You know those delegates?” Isiabel grinned. “Well, it’s not silly gossip. They’re actually here, and they’re in that temple we went to!”
“Really, Isiabel?”

“Yep.”

“Why?”

“You could sell what they have. We could have enough rations for a month. Think about it. And the king would be really pissed off.”
“Well, that’s a real deciding factor.”

“It is!”

“Fine. You steal. I’ll be right here, still alive.”
“You’re such a killjoy, Ced. The second I get up, I’ll check if they’re still there. If so, those king-loving nobles have no idea what’s coming for them.”

“Do you need me?”
“Yes.”
“What’s the signal?”
“A scream of ‘I need you!’”

“That works. Goodnight, Princess of Thieves.”
“Goodnight, Cedric. And call me Isiabel. You’re my friend. Friends call friends by their names.”

“But the king….”

“The king doesn’t have any friends.”
“Good point. See you tomorrow, Isiabel. And don’t forget to wear a wig.”

“I won’t. Same goes for you. I’ll wake you up. Don’t let the bloody bed bugs bite.”

**********************

Isiabel woke as the sun kissed the horizon. She put on the dark brown wig in a chopped cut, got her bow and knives, and tapped Cedric.

“Ready?” she asked. 

“Yeah,” said Cedric, getting up and putting on a blond wig. 

Isiabel walked to the temple. 

They were all still there. 

She smiled.

She crept in through an ivy-curtained window. None of them heard her.

The dwarf looked like a small brown bear in armor, up to Isiabel’s shoulder. Isiabel stood at only five feet tall, one of the helping factors for her ability to sneak into places totally unnoticed. 

The guard was a tall, bronze-skinned woman—-no, girl—- with a black braid, and armor. By her was a well-dressed girl with ink-colored hair, and pale skin, like snow. Princess Aneira, she knew.

The witches were a bit more different. There was a young boy, about thirteen, with hair that looked like goose feathers, brown, sun-deprived skin, and a scrape along his chin. He wore all leather, which was odd for a child so young. The woman by him was in her twenties, also in all leather, a hat shaded over her pale face. A scar began at her chin, and at the edge of her lips. Isiabel would bet that it went further than that.

The elf really caught her attention, though. 

His hair was dark and cropped, skin tan from days in the sun. He wore armor out of tree bark, but he didn’t look foolish. The thing that caught Isiabel’s attention the most was a pretty necklace.

It glittered so much, made with so many gems, yet it was overly shiny or anything. It was just absolutely beautiful.

And enough to give me and Cedric bread for a year, Isiabel thought, smiling a little. Maybe some meat, too. I won’t have to hunt for two months if Ced sells this.

The month Isiabel didn’t steal, she and Cedric nearly died of starvation.  

Isiabel shook her head. 

Take the necklace!

“Sorry,” she whispered.

The witch-woman twitched. Isiabel held her breath. 

I’m dead.

But the woman never woke up. She was still asleep, hat still on.

Isiabel crept towards the elf, careful not to step on anyone.

She fumbled around for the clasp, until she found it. 

Silently chuckling, Isiabel unclipped the clasp, and removed the necklace from above.

She wasn’t stupid.

The elf began to stir.

And then his eyes shot open.

“Hey!” 

Isiabel cursed herself for not putting something with a similar weight of the necklace on while removing it.

She jumped out the window again, elf in tow.

Okay, maybe she was a little stupid.

“I need you!” she called.

A blond Cedric came running out.

A version of Isiabel that really wanted to die wanted to laugh, but she ran to the trees.

“In the trees!”

The two of them bolted up a tree. 

“We’re safe,” Isiabel breathed. “Elves can’t climb trees.”
A look came over Cedric’s face. That look of a teacher after a long hour of teaching, hearing a child saying two plus two was twenty-two. 

“That’s the king’s men in clunky armor who can’t climb trees!” he said in disbelief. “Of course elves can climb trees. How else do you think he got the tree bark?”

“Oh.”
Maybe she was kind of stupid.

The elf began to climb.

“Scatter!” she told Cedric as she jumped to a tree.

“Hey, Leafbrain!” she called to the elf. “Looking for this?”

She held up the necklace.

He turned towards her.

Tree nuts.

Isiabel continued to jump from tree to tree, but the elf never left her trail. 

She decided to jump down from the tree and decided to get the low ground.

She curled her legs under her, and gasped as she hit the ground. 

That wasn’t the brightest move. 

The elf jumped down with ease, not stopping once.

Isiabel’s glove snagged.

Damn!

She pulled it free. Her fingerless glove and a few rings came off, revealing her compass and skin.

A sign of the Princess of Thieves; revealed.

Isiabel ran faster now. 

Her wig fell off.

Another sign revealed.

This was not a good day for the Princess of Thieves at all. 

She made the mistake of turning, and a stone hit her in the forehead.

Isiabel Bramblefoot fell down, feeling the weight of a boot on her chest.

She groaned.

This was not a good day for the Princess of Thieves.

She opened her eyes to see the elf looming over her. Her forehead felt wet. 

“Return the necklace and you will live, thief,” the elf growled.

“Really?” Isiabel asked. “This is your way of negotiating. You are a bad negotiator.”
The boot pushed deeper into Isiabel’s chest. 

“I know who you are. The Princess of Thieves. I could easily hand you over to the king.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I would. But I hate the king. So I will give you two options. Give me the necklace or die.”

“Cedric!”

The elf turned his head. Isiabel tried to kick her way out, but it didn’t work.

“Hey!”

Cedric came running over, as well as the group that joined the elf. 

“Who is she?” the princess asked.

“A thief,” said the elf. “A thief who wishes to join us.”

“What?” Isiabel never agreed to that. She decided this was the only way the elf would let her and Cedric leave alive. 

“And so does my friend,” said Isiabel. “My name is Isiabel Bramblefoot and he’s Cedric Thorn. We’ll join you.”

“You’re related to the pirate,” the dwarf observed.

Isiabel nodded.

“You must be the Princess of Thieves,” said the princess. “Well, this could be your royal pardon.”

“Fine,” the elf sighed. He held out his hand.

Isiabel tentatively grabbed it. 

He pulled her up.

“Welcome, Miss Bramblefoot,” he said. “We’re not on a tour of the Emerald Isles. We’re here to find a killer elemental on the loose.”
Isiabel nodded. “Cedric and I will help you. Just as long as you don’t tell anyone who we are.”

“It’s a deal,” said the princess. “We’ll never reveal anything, as long as you help us.”
“I may have a hunch on who it is,” said the elemental woman. She removed her hat.

Long black hair tumbled down, and her eyes were the color of jade. 

But her scar marred her face. 

It was a long, jagged dark pink crater across her pale, sun-deprived face, starting at her chin, going across her lip, cheek, nearly touching the tip of her eye, going through her eyebrow, across her forehead all the way to her hairline.

“A witch named Coraina was frozen during Drusilla’s reign,” she said. “She might’ve gotten out.”

Delia served the tables outside. It was a relatively nice day in that cold September, so some people wanted to sit at the two outdoor tables.

Delia served the young man and woman their drinks, but screamed as a mudball hit her in the face.

She spit out some of the mud, and heard the wickedly cruel laugh that was all too familiar. 

Lyssa was also standing outside. The blond barmaid was also getting bombarded. 

“What’s wrong!” Millie ran out, just to get hit herself. 

“You can barely tell, don’t worry,” Mathai sneered. The others laughed.

Naomi came. 

“Enough!” she screamed. “You’re ruining everyone’s day here, not just us!”

Some of them hesitated, but Mathai kept throwing. 

“Enough!” Rose, the oldest barmaid who was possibly in charge if something happened to Lorn, stared at them viciously. 

Mathai tried his luck, and threw another ball at Delia, knocking her into those she was serving.

She groaned as she collided with the table. Glass set in her hands, alcohol and dirt setting in the cuts.

She saw, through blindness, Rose with a broom, charging at the boys.

“Don’t make Lorn get his crossbow!”
That sent the boys scattering. 

Despite the pain, Delia was happy as she got to her feet.

“I’m sorry,” she told the customers.

They were all more concerned about Delia’s hands to care about their drinks. They took her to the doctors to get her hands bandaged up. 

**************************

Delia swept the floors of the tavern. 

It was her turn, so she had to do it. Despite the pain in her hands, she decided if she wanted to miss it next time, she’d better do it. 

Lorn had gone out to do whatever, and the other girls were asleep. 

Delia finished sweeping and poured herself a drink. 

It had been a long day, with Mathai and his friends harassing her, and the other girls, by throwing mud at them. 

It had been a long day.

She took a sip.

The taste shocked her, and she spilled a little.

Damn it!” she muttered. “Jova, help me….”

She set down the cup and mopped up the mess with a plain rag.

When she was finished, she got up. 

But something caught her eye. 

Through the glass, through the amber liquid, she saw a map of the sea.

The sea!

It had always been Delia’s dream to live by the sea. The sea was close enough to see, but it was five miles away from the nearest seaside village. 

If she could only go for a month or two…

Lorn had given her a vacation time, but she hadn’t used it. This was the perfect time to use it, with Mathai’s attacks, and other things.

She’d have to save up.

Delia downed the glass, saluting her new life.

The cold air nipped Cecily’s face.

Her shaved head was covered by a hat, though a few patches were starting to grow back. 

“Cold?” Simon also wore the hat of a newcomer over his recently cropped head.

Cecily nodded. 

“It shouldn’t be this cold,” she muttered.

Simon nodded. “I mean, it’s the Northlands, but it should be much, much warmer.”

Cecily took off her hat.

Blond tufts were there, and there was still stubble. 

Simon did the same, though his head was completely barren of hair.

“I miss Three,” she said.

“Me too.”
“Remember when we pushed Dara into the stables?”

“Yes. She deserved it, after she put sap in your hair!”

The two of them laughed.

Simon put his cap back on, but Cecily held hers for a little while.

“I’m bored,” she said. 

“So am I,” said Simon. “Wanna hear a story?”
“Sure. What do you have?”

“The child of the sun and moon.”
“Interesting. Do tell.”
“Alright. A long, long, long time ago, Sol, the sun god, and Myrna, the moon goddess, had a child together, named Celestine.

“Celestine grew up on Earth, not knowing who her parents were. She was a strange beauty; one half of her head was a light brown, the other half was a dark brown. Her eyes were blue, but in different shades; one was so dark it was almost as black as the night sky, and other was as blue as a summer sky.

The other villagers knew this wasn’t normal, so Celestine got curious. She asked about the gods, but only knew of the Seven. She sailed across the world, until she found Wisphaven, where there were many gods. She heard from the king that the gods Sol and Myrna had a child eighteen years ago; the year of Celestine’s birth.

“Celestine went to the nearest temple and prayed for them to give her a sign. And that they did. Sol and Myrna positioned their houses to be facing each other exactly. Their houses were the sun and moon.

“People panicked. They blamed Celestine and thought she was a witch. She told them otherwise, so she decided to take matters into her own hands.

“She went to the Northern Springs, the Land Where Night Never Falls and The Sun Never Sets, the Land of Night and Day, and prayed to every single god. According to Wisphaven theology, that’s a lot of gods. 

“So, Celestine asked them for a solution. They told her she needed to drink water from the Springs and make a wish in her head while doing so, in the place where people hated her most.

“Celestine went back to the village, and told them she would free them. They cursed her, and told her to succeed, or she would die. 

“Celestine grabbed a flask and traveled back to the Northern Springs. She filled the flask with the icy water, rode back, and she stood in the center of town.

“The sun had set fires, the moon had set freezes, and no one but the villagers hated Celestine the most. 

“They threw stones at her, cursed her name, and told her to burn in hell. She told them to stop, but they wouldn’t. So she climbed to the roof of a burning and frozen house.

“Her side with light hair and eyes was on the burning side, and her dark hair and eyes on the frozen one. She held up the flask.

“‘This will stop this madness!’ she told the mob. They were still angry, and threw stones at her.

“Sol and Myrna begged the gods for there to be another way, but they wouldn’t. So Celestine would have to drink the water outside the Springs.

“Celestine wished in her head she could live while saving everyone as she drank the water.

“A flash blinded the villagers. The sun and moon continued their cycle. When the villagers looked on again, Celestine was gone. Legend claims she split in two, her other halves spread across the world. 

“But Sol and Myrna still mourn. They feel as if it’s their fault Celestine is missing. 

“They know it’s possibly not possible, but she could’ve given up her physical form for two. No one knows what happened to Celestine, daughter of the Sun and Moon.”

Cecily shivered. “What do you think?”
“I don’t know,” said Simon. “I think it’s all bullcrap.”

Cecily laughed. She hoped it was.

The young thief was useful. She knew exactly where there was a library in the middle of the woods. 

Jade wondered how many books the girl had stolen from it, but she said she had returned them all.

“I gave them to the librarian,” said Isiabel.

“It has a librarian?” Jade asked.

“Yep,” said the Princess of Thieves. “She’s blind, but she’s still a good source of information. Her assistant, Cliff’s, pretty helpful too. She might be an immortal, since she claims Drusilla blinded her.”
Jade wondered who this blind woman was.

She sure hoped Isiabel wasn’t leading everyone into a trap. And Cedric was awfully quiet….

In the middle of the forest, there was a small library. 

It looked fine.

“Follow me,” said Isiabel.

The group complied.

Jade stayed close to Eira, to make sure nothing happened. 

“I just realized,” Isiabel suddenly interjected, “I don’t know any of your names.”

“I’m Jade.”

“Eira.”
“Ashes.”

“Bret.”
“Genna.”

“Virion.”
“Okay, we’re all acquainted. Let’s go inside.”
Jade gasped at the size of the library. 

It was three floors, the walls seemingly consisting of only books. There was a roof made completely out of glass above, letting natural light bathe the area. 

“Hello.”
Jade jumped at the sound of the voice.

A woman who looked in her thirties stood there, smiling. She had red-brown hair, a bright smile, and tan skin. Her eyes were clouded with a milky film, but Jade could make out a blue color. 

“How may I help you?” she asked. “Do you wish to know about how I lost my sight?”

“No thank you,” said Eira politely. “We’re looking for books on a frozen sorceress named Coraina.”
“Ah. She was a nasty one. Cliff!”
A young man came out. He looked in his twenties, and like the woman, though his eyes weren’t clouded by a blindening fog. 

“Yes, Delila?”

“Can you show these two the books about Coraina?”

“Sure.”

“What are all your names?” she asked. 

Jade realized she had only told Isiabel everyone’s names, not Delila the librarian.

“You know me, Isiabel.”

“Of course I do,” said Delila.

“And me, Cedric.”

“The quiet one.”
“I’m Jade.”
“Eira.”
“Ashes.”
“Bret.”

“Genna.”
“Virion.”
“Nice to meet you,” she said. “Have a nice day.”
Jade followed Cliff to the section with many books. 

“You’ll find them in the C section,” he said, and left.

Jade grabbed one of the books labeled, “The Life of Coraina.”

The others grabbed books, while Ashes, Eira and Bret decided to see if they could find anything else. 

Jade flipped through the pages. 

It was only about her early life, and her description. She had red hair and black eyes. 

She looked like a killer by her pictures. 

Jade read on, hoping to find something.

She was to Coraina’s sixteenth year, when she heard Eira shout.

“What is it?”

Jade jumped up, slamming her book shut. 

Isiabel followed her.

Eira was holding a book, titled “Drusilla’s Victims and Convictions.”

“Coraina’s in here,” said Eira. “It says Drusilla froze her in time. She could be melting.”

“Don’t worry, Eira,” said Jade. “We’ll find her.”

Deep down, she wasn’t entirely sure.

Orion was almost seventeen. 

In a half day's time, Ioli would have to reveal what she and Trina were doing.

And why there was paint.

He hoped what they were doing was perfectly legal.

He could tell his cousin Hansen, but he would have a good argument. He would state Ioli got fish while she was there, therefore she wasn’t lying and she was most definitely fishing there.

But Ioli was the best hunter around. She was perfectly capable of hunting and doing whatever at the same time. And Trina was with her…..

Orion grinned. 

Ioli wouldn’t know what to say to that. 

Once he got home from the market, he would tell her.

“What’s at ya, boy?”

Orion snapped back to reality.

Arus was standing in front of him, waiting for a squirrel. 

“Oh. Sorry. Twenty gold pieces.”

Arus frowned. 

“Only because it’s your birthday.”
He handed him the sack of twenty gold coins. 

“Almost,” Orion corrected. 

“Eighteen, eh?”

“Seventeen.”

“Have a nice birthday, boy. Your sister sure believes you will.”
Orion turned.

“What is Ioli up to?”
“She didn’t tell me. She just said she had a surprise.”

“Where is this surprise? More importantly, what is the surprise?”

“Where the surprise is.”
“Where is it?”

“The sun sets and rises.”
“Huh?”
“Move along. I know nothing.”
Frowning, Orion went home. 

“Where’s Ioli?” he asked Grandmama.

“She’s at the beach,” she responded. “She said to meet her there at sunset. She rushed out quickly with Trina.”

“Why?”

“Surprises and secrets are no longer living when they are told,” was all she said. 

Orion frowned. 

Grandmama usually told riddles, but Orion wanted answers. He couldn’t wait until tomorrow to play the birthday card in his hand; he needed answers right this very minute! And sunset was in thirty minutes.

Orion decided he could wait that long, even if it killed him. 

********************

After twenty-nine agonizing minutes, Orion peered out.

The sun was starting to set, the sky turning many shades of red, pink, and blue.

Orion got up and headed out to the beach.

He saw smoke in the air.

“No,” he muttered, and ran towards it.

He gasped at what he saw on the beach.

A large sort of gazebo was there, the floor painted gold, white and blue; Orion’s favorite colors.

There was a table with refreshments, and there were other people there. All merchants Orion had haggled with nicely, such as Kara.

“You came!”

Ioli, wearing her best blue dress with flowing sleeves, golden sandals, and holding a goblet of wine, ran up to him. She looked so regal. Her dark hair was braided and styled in an intricate knot on the back of her head, adorned with pieces of coral, seashells, and a few fake jewels. She had lined her eyes with blacknut ink, shaded her lids with blue paint, and painted her lips pink. Her nails were painted a festive shade of gold.   

“Of course I did,” said Orion. “I saw the smoke, so I got concerned. Is this what you were doing this whole time?”
“Yes,” said Ioli. “Building, painting and fishing, me and Trina. Oh, there she is. Hi, Trina!”

Trina came over. 

Her red hair was done in braids like Ioli’s, but less intricate or flashy. Her dress was a sleeveless white one, not like the flowing sleeves and rotating skirt of Ioli’s. Her eyes and lips were done just like Ioli’s, though she had a phoenix painted across her face, while Ioli had a stag.

Trina carried two goblets, and handed one to Orion.

“Drink up,” she said. “We’ll dance till midnight. Don’t care if the king forbids it or not. They’ll hear us in Quinceisla.”

Orion saw three singing merchants go by a tapestry hung in the middle.

“Did you….?”

“Yes.” Ioli grinned. “I made that. I know how much you love the sunset.”
“Thanks,” was all Orion could say.

The merchant, Georgio, began to play his fiddle, as Rosa, a merch from Quinceisla, began to sing. 

“Let’s dance!” said Ioli. 

She downed her goblet and twirled to the center of the gazebo.

Despite the fact that she was most likely drunk, she danced beautifully. 

The drummer, Brennon, began to bang his drum in a similar upbeat way of Georgio’s fiddle and Rosa’s voice.

People began to dance.

Orion took a sip from his goblet.

It tasted sweet.

His cousin Hansen began to dance with Ioli, as people began to grab a partner to dance with.

The fire was warm, the music was beautiful, it was all excellent. 

“Wanna dance?”

Trina walked up to Orion.

She was beautiful, yes, with her long red hair adorned with jewels, her face painted, and her dress, but Orion felt nothing but friendship towards her.

“Yes,” he said, grabbing her arm.

He saw old Arus nod, but he shook his head.

Trina probably wouldn’t remember this in the morning.

Orion and Trina began to dance, but Ioli danced so well, Orion had to stop to admire her for a little while.

His sister wasn’t doing anything stupid.

He was dancing in the firelight and moonlight.

He then looked up to see the moon on the zenith of the sky. 

Others saw this as well.

“Happy birthday, Orion!” they called. 

With that, he felt like the best man in Wisphaven.

Isiabel began to hum an old song. The group was resting, so no one would hear her and question her decision to be a thief instead of a songbird. 

The sailors called it “The Hymn of Oshyra.” 

In the fabled Wisphaven, there were more than seven gods. Too many gods for anyone to count. 

She wondered if they were right. There was no way Drakiana would have created all that by herself. Even with the others, it seemed to be the most logical explanation.

The moon and sun, how else did they move in a priest’s brain?

Yes again, priests most likely had only one shared brain cell; and those were the smart ones.

It was a miracle how they could come up with religious hymns.

Isiabel began to sing softly.  

“When the sun and moon met

When Creus’ sight left

Him filled with revenge

Oshyra was sent

To the Earth.

“When the rain had cleared

When the end was near

Oshyra came down

To the Earth.

“She settled Mother Adder

After Creus had riled her

So she laid to rest

Oshyra passed her test

On Earth

“Next was the god of storms

Nebulis, raging in the north

Oshyra lessened the rage

But it wasn’t kept in a cage

For Earth

“Finally the moon and sun

Myrna and Sol, the final ones

Oshyra calmed the them down

Relieving the town

On Earth

“Old Creus, he knew

That his work was through

He retired in peace 

Back to the sea

But he’s still mean

Right now.”

Isiabel heard clapping.

It was Virion. The elf stood over her, smiling as he clapped his hands together. Isiabel was used to sarcastic clapping, but this sounded real. Still, she wasn’t going to look like a fool in front of some prince.

“Are you being sarcastic?” she asked.

“No,” he said. “You like old songs like that.”
“Yes. Do you think I’m a thief that hates everything that has to do with civilization?”

“Yes.”
Despite herself, Isiabel laughed. “And I think you’re an angry elf who hates anything human.”
Virion chuckled. “You’re a funny human.”

“I guess searching for an ice witch is better than being hunted by a deranged king.”
Virion nodded. “I guess it is. I hope my sister’s a good ruler.”
“Who?”

“Nadora.”

“I thought the elven queen was Ryana.”
“She was killed by husk things.”

“What?”
“They looked like humans, but as if they’d risen straight from the dead.”

Isiabel’s eyes widened. She didn’t know that Earth elementals could be that powerful.

She can change the climate, and she can raise the dead. She’s a killer.

Isiabel shivered against the cold. 

“I know,” said Virion. “It’s cold. Too cold to do anything but lay down.”
“I’ve never had the luxury to just lay down all day,” Isiabel put in. “If I did, then I was sick, and battling an illness. If I’ve ever had the luxury to rest, I think I’ve forgotten it.”

“I’m sorry, Bel. Can I call you Bel?”

“Fine.” Isiabel rolled her eyes. 

“So, you have a nice voice, Songbird.”

“Don’t push it.”

They both laughed.

“What happened to your neck?”

Isiabel pulled up her collar. But it was too late; he’d seen the burn bearing the Kerstove seal.

“Hey!”

Isiabel looked up. 

Cedric was there, staring at the horizon with Genna. 

The rest of the group sat up groggily.

“This better be worth it,” muttered Bret. “I was having a good dream. I’d describe it, but it’s not for children.”

“There’s a storm,” said Genna, peering out on the horizon. “An ice storm.”

Isiabel looked.

A cloud that seemed to be full of crystallized ice was overhead.

Thunder boomed and lightning flashed.

The cloud settled over them, and the sharpest icicles fell from the sky.

Eira gasped as one cut her face.

At that moment, Isiabel’s senses returned.

“Take cover!” she screamed, as everyone bolted for the nearest safety.

Isiabel scattered under a tree and hoped the ice rain would stop soon.

Angelica could barely feel Freya brushing her hair as she tapped her foot.

Her father had set up a meeting with her and Aleksander Alswen.

The stuck-up idiot. She’d rather be with Kai, a bastard looked down on, than a man like her father.

“My Lady?”

“Mm?”
Angelica was snapped back to reality as Freya showed her dresses.

The sad thing about Angelica having dark hair; blue, violet, and red all went with it.

She decided to put on the red dress with the golden lace. Her favorite. 

She went down.

Her father and Aleksander were there to meet her.

“Angelica!” Ygar boomed. “I think you might know Aleksander Alswen.”

“Too well,” Angelica muttered. Louder, “Hello, Aleksander Alswen.”
“Hello,” he said curtly. “Angelica Kerstov.”

Ygar must’ve really wanted them to marry, or he was just stupid, because he said, “You two must love each other so much, you’re flirting!”

Angelica rolled her eyes.

“So, Aleksander, how do you think of my daughter?” Ygar asked cautiously. 

“She’s alright,” grumbled Aleksander. “I mean, she looks good, but I believe if she evers bears children, they will not be mine. She dresses like a prostitute, holds herself too high, and seems to think of herself too highly. I do not envision a wife like that.”
“I see,” said Ygar. “I can change that. Angelica?”
Angelica frowned. She was not going to let this spoiled nobleboy bring her down.

“If he ever fathers children,” Angelica snapped, “they won’t be mine.”
“Angelica!” Ygar shouted. “You are not to disrespect noblemen!”
“If he is allowed to disrespect me, then I may do that as well!” Angelica bit back. 

“It is not your place,” Ygar growled. He picked up a vase, and threw it at Antonia. She ducked, glaring. Angelica felt rage bubble up.

“Well then what is?” Angelica asked. “Being treated like a swine, sold off to the highest bidder? I don’t think so, Father, that’s not me!”

Angelica stormed up to her room, barely hearing Ygar apologizing to Aleksander. 

She slammed the door to her room and sat down on her bed, fuming. 

He doesn’t deserve an apology, I do! Angelica thought so angrily. 

“Hey.”

Angelica jumped.

It was Kai.

He looked like Soter, though his eyes were a warm brown instead of a cold dark blue, and he didn’t have a beard, and he had longer hair. 

“I’m so glad you’re here,” said Angelica. “I couldn’t stand here any longer. Ygar wants to marry me off to some son of a nobleman!”

Kai frowned. “We could run away together.”
A look of joy eclipsed Angelica’s face. 

“Yes, yes, yes, Kai, I’d love that!”
Kai smiled. “No more noblemen. No more anyone telling you what to do.”

Angelica smiled, laughing. “When do we leave?”

“Three nights time,” said Kai. He smiled. “Soon we’ll both be free.”
Angelica nodded. 

She then heard footsteps.

“I’d better go,” said Kai. He jumped down from the windowsill, and ran into the forest.

“ANGELICA LILYTH KERSTOV!” It was her mother. “HOW DARE YOU SCARE OFF SUCH A GOOD SUITOR! HE WAS PERFECT!”
“HE WAS A WICKED MAN, HE DESERVED A GOOD TALKING-TO!”

“DON’T TEST ME, ANGELICA KERSTOV!” Olenna screamed back.

“DON’T TEST ME OLENNA!” 

She stormed away, not before locking the door.

Freya brought Angelica her meals, but she couldn’t eat. All she could do was revel in the fact that in three days, she would be going away.

With Kai.

Helina groggily sat up. 

She saw a dimly lit blur of wood. 

She was in a shack.

How did I get here? Hel wondered.

She then remembered; she had fought Creus, he had wounded her, and gone right in for the kill… but Oshyra had stopped him, telling Helina that it wasn’t her time to die yet. A wave of luminous water had engulfed her and pulled her out to sea….

Helina was sure she had drowned after she’d lost consciousness, but other parts came back to her.

She’d been tossed among the waves, head bobbing in and out of the gray water.

Her head had hit a rock…

Helina reached up. She groaned as she touched a wet part at her temple.

When she pulled her hand away, it was red.

“Ay!”
Helina’s vision cleared.

A young man stood in front of her. He had a shaved head, dark brown skin, and warm brown eyes. 

“Don’t touch that!” he scolded. “You’ll open your stitches.”
“What?” Helina jumped. It took her a few moments to realize stitches in her were a good thing. “Ah!”
A sharp pain pierced her abdomen. 

She’d forgotten for a brief moment that Creus had stabbed her there.

She saw that her tunic had been removed for a full wrap of white, bloodstained bandages. 

“Lay down,” the man commanded. “You’ll hurt yourself more.”

Helina frowned at him, but she obeyed. 

“My name is Gideon, by the way,” he said, beginning to unravel the bandages. “I need to change the bandages, to keep an infection from spreading. Your wounds were covered in sand and soaked in salt. You seemed to have fought quite a battle. Who was the warrior?”

“Creus.”

A look fell upon Gideon’s face. “I hope he forgets I said that. I’m a son of Myrna. My father was from Quinceisla, but came here after a bad run-in with Sol, so he prayed to Myrna. Myrna is angry with Sol for something I don’t remember. So she provided my father with protection and two children; me and my sister. This island is protected from the gods. With my sister.”

“What’s your sister’s name?” Helina inquired. 

“Her name is Misty,” said Gideon. “She’s the one who found you.”

“Really?” asked Helina. 

Gideon nodded. “She should be outside, weaving, or making pottery.”
“Why?”

Gideon frowned. “Misty can’t leave the island unless my mother gives her permission. In all her seventeen years, that hasn’t happened.”
“That is so sad,” Helina remarked. 

Gideon finished tying up the bandages. Helina hissed in pain. “All she wants to do is see the world, and being born on this island has prevented her from doing so. I was born outside the island, but with what I just called Creus, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”
“How else am I hurt?” Helina asked. 

“There are many cuts on your arms and legs, but they're not too deep. There’s the wound on your abdomen, as you know, as well as the one on your head. There’s a cut on your chin, and on your neck. You have a few broken ribs, a fractured wrist and ankle, and a dislocated knee,” Gideon told her. “You’re very bruised.”

“Owch,” Helina muttered. 

“How is she?”

A girl ran into the hut. She was one of the prettiest girls Helina had ever seen; her dark hair was long and flowing, her light brown skin was clear, and her midnight blue eyes were light with worry and life.

She wore a knee-length blue dress, and palm leaves wrapped around her feet served as makeshift shoes. 

“This is Misty,” said Gideon. “And this is…. You’ve never told us your name. What is it?”

“Helina Bramblefoot.”

A look of fear eclipsed Gideon’s face, but quickly faded.
“My crew is far,” said Helina. “I think they think I’m dead. Don’t worry, I won’t raid this place.”

“Alright,” said Gideon. “I’m afraid I’ll have to leave the island to get more bandages.”

“Can I come?” asked Misty. 

A look of sadness eclipsed Gideon’s face again. Helina felt sorry for the girl. 

“I’m sorry,” he said. “Remember your curse.”
Misty frowned. “Can I help Helina then?”

“Yes,” said Gideon. 

He turned and left.

Afterwards, Misty smiled. 

“What do you want to do?” she asked.

“Huh?”

“Well, for injured folks, we usually help them move their injured places. Gideon put your knee back in place, but you need to get used to walking on it.”

“Interesting. How does this work?”

“Well, you need to do things with your injured hands first. Walking is too dangerous for you.” A look of inspiration fell over Misty’s face. “I know! I’ll be right back!”
Helina frowned in confusion as Misty left the shack in a hurry. When she returned she was carrying a piece of paper, a wooden slat, and a pen. 

“Draw a flower, one with each hand,” Misty commanded. “It’ll be tough, but I believe in you.”
Helina took the pen with her left hand, dipped it in the ink, and drew a flower. She did the same with her right hand, though it was a little shaky with the pain of the fracture. 

She handed them to Misty. 

She observed them and smiled.

“It’s good you can still write, even with your fracture. I hope it doesn’t hurt too bad.”
Helina smiled at the girl. She was glad that she’d be recovering with two good people.

The song is a mashup of "The Old Therebefore" and a song I wrote about Lady Macbeth. 

Eliza collected herbs with Selene and Beatrice. Laena’s time was coming close, so they’d need all the help they could get, even if it was from herbs.

She loved herbs, and she picked a few flowers as well. The place needed a little brightening. After all, she’d seen Selene pick flowers. 

Eliza decided she liked the way the red and yellow flowers were combined in a bouquet. 

“Hey.”
Beatrice and Selene ran up to her. 

“How was it?” Eliza asked. 

“We got herbs,” said Beatrice.

“And flowers,” Selene added, holding up a multicolored bouquet. 

“We don’t need flowers,” said Eliza jokingly.

“Shut up,” Selene giggled back.

Bea just rolled her eyes. 

Selene playfully shoved Eliza.

Ass.”

Eliza shoved her back.

Selene screamed and fell into a pile of sticks.

But the sticks gave way into a deep hole.

There was a hissing.

“Selene!” Eliza screamed.

“I’ll get the others,” said Beatrice. Dropping the herbs, she ran for the houses.

Snakes slithered around Selene. There were Death Angels, Bloody Barons, and all sorts of deadly snakes were in the pit.

“No, no, no,” Eliza groaned. “Selene!”
She heard Selene hiss in fear.

The snakes began to coil around her, hissing and preparing for their next bite.

“No,” Selene said. She took a shaky breath. “You’re headed for heaven

Sweet old hereafter

And I’ve got one foot in the door

But before I can fly up

I got loose ends to tie up

Right here

In the old therebefore.”

Eliza sighed with relief. That girl really could charm anything, even a pit full of snakes.

“I’ll be along,” Selene sang louder, “when I’ve finished my song

When I’ve done all I can

When I’ve played out my hand

When I’ve paid all my debts 

When I have no regrets

Right here

In the old therebefore

When nothing is left

Anymore.”

Eliza saw the snakes curl around Selene, but they didn’t bite, straggle or attack her. Instead, they seemed at ease by her voice, despite the fact that it was thick with tears of pure terror. 

“And I’ll catch you up

When I’ve emptied my cup

When I’ve worn out my friends

When I’ve burnt out both ends

When I’ve cried all my tears

When I’ve conquered my fears

Right here

In the old therebefore

When nothing is left

Anymore.”
“We’ve caught something!”
The hunters! Eliza thought, exhilarated.

Her brother and the other hunters ran up to see what it was.

“You’re back!” Eliza said happily. Then her tone changed. “It’s Selene. She’s trapped down there.”
“I’ll bring the news

When I’ve danced off my shoes

When my body’s closed down

When my boat’s run aground

When I’ve tallied the score

When I’m flat on the floor

Right here

In the old therebefore

When nothing is left

Anymore.”
“We’ve got to get her out,” said Sam.

The others ran up, following Beatrice.

“I’m going in,” said Sam.

“I’ll go in with you,” said Aerin. 

“I’ll get the rope,” said Markus, as the hunters and Eliza made preparations.

Selene looked up and her angel’s voice came with a new gusto.

“When I’m pure as a dove

When I’ve learned how to love

When I’ve done what I can

When I’ve rinsed the blood from my hands

Then go up there then

And I’ll leave behind this gem

But now I need to have been

Right here

In the old therebefore

When nothing is left

Anymore.”
At that, Aerin and Sam had pulled Selene out as Robert, Hansen, Markus, and Eliza pulled up the rope.

The others pulled a few of the becalmed snakes off her and tossed them back into the pit.

“Jova, Selene!” Sam shouted. “What happened?”

“It was me,” Eliza responded. “We were messing around, and pushed her too hard. She fell into the pit. I’m really sorry, Selene.”

“It’s alright,” said Selene. “It was kinda fun, actually.”

“Really?” asked Robert.

“Yes,” she said. “I love charming creatures.”
Others rolled their eyes, but Eliza felt nothing but admiration for the girl. 

“Alright,” muttered Sam. He picked Selene up, and Markus decided to pick up Eliza.

Eliza started to protest, but she decided to relax.

Sam and Selene looked right together. Sam, looking all filthy, and Selene, her rainbow-colored tulle messed up from the snakes that had slithered.

Eliza smiled.

That girl really could tame any beast that walked the Earth.

Tori jumped as she heard something slam on the roof of her cottage.

Tori looked out the window.

Icicles were falling down.

Tori had seen ice storms, but she’d never seen pure icicles falling from the sky.

Maybe the king was right about a witch. 

Tori thought elementals were just hoaxes, not real at all. She believed kings made elementals up just to get rid of wives that couldn’t produce sons.

But this ice storm begged to differ.

Tori hoped her father would be okay. 

Musekin was neglectful, left often, but he was a good man. And Tori hoped the ice didn’t impale him on his ship, or anything.

She sat down and looked outside.

It was nighttime, and it was already dark out with all the storm and ice.

Tori turned on an expensive oil lamp, and sat down. 

She shivered.

She hoped this elemental would be ended soon. If those delegates….

I am Tori Aisling Zo, a seventeen-year-old girl. I never knew my Yyraenese mother, and my Shima father is a merchant that goes often. I lived in Shima for the first four years of my life, and then came here. 

Tori sighed.

She didn’t realize what a sad life she had. 

Very few friends, only a few barmaids, especially the two of them, Delia and Millie. They were outcasts as well, just like her.

But they weren’t exactly like Tori. 

No one could ever be exactly like Tori in any way.

Tori was ripped out of her thoughts by another boom of thunder and ice.

She jumped, shrieking. 

It’s just a storm, she consoled herself. Just a storm…

But it felt like more than just a storm. It felt worse. Like something was going to happen.

Tori shuddered at the thought.

What do I do on rainy days?

Usually, Tori read, but it would have to be by firelight. She would run in the rain, but with all the icicles, that clearly wasn’t on the list.

The list was just reading.

So Tori pulled out a book.

She then said a prayer to Drakiana and Creus. People didn’t think Creus existed, but the Shima and Yyraenese people did with a passion.

“Creus, Drakiana, Jova, please keep my father safe and make sure his ship doesn’t sink. I beseech you not to let him or his fellow merchants die, let them all live through this terrible storm. Thank you.”

Tori hoped her words had reached the heavens. 

She turned on the lamp, opened the book and began to read.

She tried to shut out the noises of the thunder, but her head couldn’t. It was too jarring.

Tori would check the damage in the morning.

The ice was coming down hard. 

Isiabel hid under a tree with the thickest branches she’d ever seen. 

As the sun began to rise, the ice slowly but surely stopped.

Isiabel sighed with relief.

“It’s over,” she said, almost relieved. She heard a sigh above her.

“Who’s up there?” she growled, drawing her knives.

“Only me.” Virion hopped down from the tree. He had several cuts on his shoulder. 

“Oh.” Isiabel put her knives away. “I thought you could’ve been someone else. You guys can come out now, the storm’s gone!”
Cedric, Bret, and Eira emerged from a hiding spot. Jade jumped down from a tree.

A scream sounded off in the distance.

Isiabel ran to check.

Genna and Ashes are here. Did the King find us? Or Coraina? 

Isiabel ran faster until she got to the dreadful sight.

Genna was on the ground, Ashes writhing in pain as an icicle stuck in his shoulder.

“An icicle fell,” said Genna. “It stuck to the tree, so I thought it was safe to come down and Ashes was right below me. It just fell.”

“It’s alright,” breathed Isiabel.

The others came.

“Someone hold down his legs,” said Isiabel. “Someone else hold down his arms. I’m going to pull out the icicle.”

Ashes screamed.

“Hurry!”

Cedric ran to hold down his legs and Genna held down his arms.

Isiabel began to yank out the icicle.

Ashes screamed louder, started praying to Kera for this terrible pain to end.

“Here’s something to bite on, boy.” Bret ran over and put his thick hand near his mouth. “Next time you feel a scream, bite my hand.”
Ashes nodded.

Isiabel sighed, and pulled on the icicle again.

She felt the scream rack through Ashes’s body, but he bit down on Bret’s paw.

The dwarf winced, but that was all the pain he showed. 

“Last one,” said Isiabel. “Do we have bandages?”

“Yes,” said Eira. She pulled some out of her bag. 

“Okay, get them ready.” Isiabel prepared to pull out the icicle one last time. “Bret, are you sure you want to do this?”
“My hand’s a stone slab from working in the mines,” he said. “It’ll be fine. Just pull the icy blade.”

Isiabel nodded.

She positioned her hand on Ashes’s shoulder.

“Be brave now,” she told him. 

She yanked the icicle from his shoulder as quickly as she possibly could.

Isiabel saw blood leaking from Bret’s hand.

“Bandage it up!” Isiabel shouted.

Eira ran over and bandaged his shoulder as Isiabel kept the blood inside. 

She could only do it for so long. 

Eira finished tying up the bandages and once she’d tightened them, Isiabel let her grip go. 

“Why are you sweating?” Jade asked. 

Isiabel frowned. There was some hair plastered to her face, and she was exhausted.

“I’m a witch,” she admitted.

And she told the six of them her witch abilities. She told them everything, even about how she got the burn. 

“I was at the market, and I stole a peach, but little did I know Ygar Kerstov was going for it, so his guards seized me and held a full trial for me in the center of town. The king thought since I stole under the seal of a Kerstov I would bear the seal of a Kerstov. Cedric tried to stop, but Ygar cut him, that’s how he has the scar on his lip. I was thirteen years old….”

She then spilled everything else. About being the daughter of a dangerous, now-dead pirate, for how she had been living in secret for the past three years, how she’d started stealing after she and Cedric nearly starved to death that winter, so she started stealing, how she constantly lived in fear of the king catching and killing her…. Everything. 

Everyone was dead silent when Isiabel looked up from her tears.

Until Genna finally spoke up. 

“You’re not a witch,” said Genna. “You’re a Hybrid Elemental. We have a bunch down in the Southern Desert. Though having Soul and another element…. There’s one or two. Carnus can also do that. He has Soul and Earth.”

“Elves can also do magic,” said Virion. “Any kind, really.”

“I’m also an elemental,” said Eira. “Perhaps a Hybrid.”

“What kind?” asked Genna. 

“Fire and ice.”

“Fire and Water.”

Eira smiled, but then was interrupted by Ashes groaning. 

“Oh, no,” Isiabel groaned. She did not like this predicament. A wounded delegate. 

Not fun.

Isiabel felt a sudden fury engulf her. She needed to change things to make sure innocent witches…. No, elementals…. Didn’t get hurt like Ashes. She had to eliminate anything that hurt them.

Starting with Coraina.

“We need to head to the Northlands,” said Isiabel. “We need to stop Coraina, before anyone else gets hurt.”

Genna picked up Ashes. 

“Yes,” she said.

Jade readied her spear, Cedric drew his ax, as well as Bret. Virion drew his bow, and Isiabel pulled out her knives.

Eira sighed. 

“Really? I have no weapons.”

Isiabel handed her a knife. “Use it wisely.”

“Thanks.”

“No one is going anywhere.”

Nets landed everywhere. 

Isiabel found herself in a net with Virion and Cedric. 

Genna and Ashes were in the same net, and so were Jade and Bret.

Lucky Eira, Isiabel felt herself thinking.

“Do not move.”

The accent to the voice was so absurd, if Isiabel wasn’t trapped, she would’ve laughed.

Two hooded figures came.

Two more trailed them.

“Which one do we start with?” asked a voice. It was a woman’s voice, with the unaccented voice of someone born in the Southern Desert, though she had a bit of a drawl. 

“Cecily, the could be friendly,” said another voice. This was the unaccented voice of the Forest. 

“Enough, Simon!” snapped the male voice with the absurd accent. 

“Gabriel, be reasonable,” said the one they called Cecily. “We should interrogate them first.”

“No,” he said. “Lea, my spear.

The smallest hooded figure handed the absurd voiced man her spear.

He studied it, then positioned it.

“What the heck?” Isiabel whispered.

“These are from the Outposts,” Virion explained. “Rebels against the king. We used to be close with them, but they’re always so suspicious.”

“Enough!” snapped the absurd man. He pointed his spear at Isiabel’s net. “We make them beg, starting with the threesome.”

“That was one helluva ice storm!” Rose said as she served tables.

Delia nodded.

“What exactly happened?” she asked.

“A lotta ice, that’s what,” said Lorn. “Oh, and Delia? Could you come here?”

Delia came.

“About your vacation,” said Lorn. “You’ll have to pay for it, you know that?”

Delia nodded.

“I already know,” she said. “And I’m ready to pay. And go. I’m sorry Lorn.”

“Delia.” Lorn looked her dead in the eye. “You’ve worked here for three and a half years with no days off. You’ve been paid, but you need a break. Rose has gone back to Yyraen so many times.”

The redheaded barmaid glared in their direction. Lorn waved her off. 

“Anyway, go. Enjoy yourself. See the ocean. Do what you wish.”

“Thank you,” said Delia.

“Now go pack,” Lorn ordered. “And be sure to pay for your trip the whole way.”

Delia nodded.

She ran up.

“Oh, hello.”

It was Naomi. Naomi was sweet, but her accent was hard to place.

A gentle accent, but not exactly from Zulin, where she claimed to be from.

“Hey. I’m packing to leave. For a break, not forever.”
Naomi smiled. “I’m happy for you, Delia. Enjoy yourself.”

She then left to serve her table.

Delia then ran up to pack. 

She’d finally leave this tavern. She could go wherever. 

Well, not wherever.

She couldn’t go to the Southern Desert, where the witches roamed.

She couldn’t go to the forest. It was too dangerous. 

Delia saw her journal.

Grinning, she picked up her journal and wrote in it. 

Delia writing again.

I’m going to go to the seaside town! I can’t wait to see it!

I had to sell my chain in order to pay for a boardinghouse, but it’ll all be worth it when I get to it. I can’t wait.

Anyway, I need to pack now, but I can’t wait to see the ocean, and the village, and everything else that town has to offer.

I wonder if there’s a lighthouse.

I must pack you now. I need to leave as soon as possible.

I’ll write as soon as I get there.

Delia

Delia smiled again at her lovely signature.

She then put the diary in her sack, as well as other things, and prepared for the journey ahead.

Cecily wondered if the black cloaks were really necessary. She’d been on a patrol, so she’d gone with Gabriel, and his sister, Lea, on a patrol to check for the king’s soldiers. 

Instead, they had found the strangest group around.

Two humans, four elementals, an elf and a dwarf.

Normally, groups like those didn’t get along too well, but this group seemed fine.

“Will you do the honors, Cecily?” asked Gabriel. With his absurd Northman accent, it was hard to take him seriously. But when he passed Cecily a scythe, the last thing she wanted to do was laugh.

She looked at the weapon.

She bit her lip.

“Start with the three of them in the net,” said Gabriel. “The one with the redhead.”

“For your information, it’s auburn,” said the rusty-haired girl.

“Do it!” Gabriel snapped.

“It’s okay, Cecily,” said Simon. “You don’t have to do this.”
“If you want to do it, do it now!” It was hard to believe Gabriel was only twenty. 

Cecily sighed.

She walked forward and held the scythe in the air.

“Wait!” shouted the girl.

Cecily the put the scythe at her side.

“Don’t hurt us!” said the girl. “We come just to end a bloody witch.”
“Really?” Gabriel cocked his head. “Is that the one that’s been causing those blizzards.”

The girl nodded. 

“Just let us free.”
“Very well. You heard them!”
Cecily undid the net.

“No tricks now,” she said.

The girl nodded. The elf didn’t seem so certain.

The group climbed out.

“I’m Simon, by the way.”

“Simon!” Cecily scolded. 

“That’s alright.” The black-haired girl in fine clothes stood.  “I’m Eira.”

Simon removed his hood, revealing his patch of dark hair.

Cecily sighed and followed suit, revealing her cropped blond hair. 

Lea and Gabriel didn’t remove their garbs.

Cecily didn’t understand why they didn’t do that. 

“Follow us,” said Cecily.

“Where are you taking us?” asked the tall, bronze-skinned girl. 

“The Outpost,” said Gabriel curtly. “Shut up and follow us if you want to live.”
“The Outpost?” whispered Eira. “Shall we introduce ourselves?”
“Yes,” the auburn-haired girl responded. “I’m Isiabel.”
“Virion.”

“Genna.”
“Bret.”
“Jade.”
“Cedric.”

“And the wounded on is Ashes,” said the raspy-voiced woman, Genna. 

She picked up the writhing, white-haired boy.

“Do you have medical care?”

“Yes, we do,” said Simon. “Her name’s Cecily, by the way. The other two are Gabriel and Lea.”

Cecily rolled her eyes.

She hoped these people weren’t dangerous, but the boy was clearly injured.

“Follow us,” she said. “We’ll care for the boy as the rest of you find this ice witch.”

“Thank you,” said the elf, Virion. “You won’t regret it.”

Cecily turned on her heel and headed towards the outpost. If she regretted this, there would be hell to pay.

Not just for her, but for Simon, Ashes, and maybe Gabriel and Lea.

If Cecily led a potential danger into the Outpost, only her life wouldn’t be at stake; it would be every outpost in the Emerald Isles.

But Cecily wanted that ice witch gone more than anyone. 

Liam and Donovan, both transfers, had gone missing on the last patrol, and three other transfers, Killian, Thea and Madrie, had been terrified to find their corpses, as well as the rest of the patrols. Thea had even been scared into muteness by the sight.

If Cecily led in the king’s army, and would defeat the witch, it was a risk she was willing to take.

The Outpost was bustling with people, but not in a good way.

They all seemed nervous, and scared.

“Patrol!”

A tall, black-robed man stood there.

“We’re back, General,” said Cecily. “We found these people. The boy is injured, he needs help immediately!”

“Very well. Lea, lead the woman and the boy to the infirmary, quickly!”

Lea removed her hood, revealing her short dark hair. 

She nodded, grabbing Genna’s elbow and leading her to the supposed room.

“State your business!” snapped the General. 

Isiabel sighed. “We need to find Coraina, the witch that’s been causing problems.”
“Problems!” The General’s face turned angry. “You think we’ve been having problems? People have been dying by this bloody witch!”

“I’m sorry,” said Isiabel.

The General seemed relaxed at that point. 

“You are all poorly equipped,” said the General. “Gabriel, get them proper clothes for the cold. They’ll need it.”

“Yes, sir,” said Gabriel. “Follow me.”

“Simon! Get the woman.”

“Her name is Genna!”
“Whatever!”
Jade followed Gabriel to a shed.

There were arrays of fur coats all over the wall. 

“Really?” Jade asked.

“Put one on!” snapped Gabriel. He left.

Jade picked out a large brown coat. 

“Bear,” said Bret. “That's pure bearskin.”
Jade put it on, shuddering. 

Bret was oddly able to name all the creatures put in the fur.

“Direwolf,” he said, when Cedric put on a black coat.

“Parrot.” Isiabel looked uneasy as she put on her colorful coat. 

“Ermine.” Eira looked a little easier as she put on the fine fur coat.

Jade smiled at how regal she looked.

Genna walked in the room and put on a coat.

“That’s also bear,” said Bret. 

“Why?” asked Genna.

Jade rolled her eyes and studied the brown fur.

“Put on a coat!”

Jade was snapped out of her thoughts by Isiabel yelling at Virion.

“Relax, I can deal with the cold.”

“You’re like a child!” Isiabel stomped her foot in frustration. “Ah!”

Jade saw Eira cover her mouth and bite her finger.

“Those coats,” Virion argued, “are cruel and unusual.”

“They’ll keep us warm,” said Isiabel. “Besides, no one really killed any animals. They just…. Shaved them. Like sheep. Do you wear wool? Is wool cruel and unusual? Tell me, Leafbrain, is it?”

Jade couldn’t help but laugh herself. 

Soon, Eira was also in laughter, as well as Bret, Genna and Cedric.

Isiabel rolled her eyes and tossed Virion a silver jacket.

“You know I’m not going to put it on.”
“Enough fooling around!” 

The General barged in, followed by Gabriel and Lea. Gabriel finally had his hood off, to reveal angry dark eyes, a full beard, and dark hair tied back.

“Gabriel and Lea will accompany you to Drusilla’s court. No objections!”

“We weren’t gonna….”

“Enough!” The General interrupted Isiabel. He reminded Jade of Soter. 

Soter thought that if Eira observed the flaws of a statement, she was questioning him. 

He also thought if she had something to say, it was either rude or questioning him. 

If she told him to have a nice day, somehow, in his twisted mind, he believed she was telling him to jump into an active volcano.

It seemed no matter what Eira did, Soter would always hate her.

Then why did she come? Jade wondered. Did she come to find Coraina, or did she hope to be a casualty?

Jade was snapped out of her thoughts when the General shouted again.

“You will all leave immediately! Cecily and Simon have packed the necessary food, and put water in flasks that won’t freeze up.”

“How do flasks….”

“Not important! Go! Now!”

Everyone grabbed what they needed and followed Gabriel and Lea out of the Outpost and into the frozen cold wasteland.

Orion’s head buzzed two days after his birthday celebration.

It was amazing, and he loved dancing as well.

Now he was back to hunting, with Ioli at his side.

He then spotted something.

“Ioli…..”

“Mmm…”

“Gods, look!”

“Oh!”

“Shh!”
It was a Syka deer. 

Whoever caught that deer was favored by Bugara, the god of thieves and hunters. And if someone touched a Syka deer and lived…. They might as well be Bugara in the flesh.

Syka deers were fast and elusive. Orion had chased one a year ago, and he’d nicked it. 

This time, he was sure he’d get it.

“Let’s go.”

Ioli readied her spear, as Orion readied his bow.

“One….”

“Two…”

“Three!”

The two of them jumped out of the bush.

Orion marveled at the beauty of the beast. He was a large deer, larger than even the largest of the king’s horses, with a light brown fur coat spotted with a silvery white pattern. His hooves and antlers were of the purest shade of black, glittering like onyx.

Orion barely had time to marvel before the deer bolted away.

“Let’s go!” he told Ioli.

She didn’t need telling twice.

The two of them bolted after the deer.

The deer was so fast, but so were Orion and Ioli.

They leap where the deer leapt, went under what the deer went under.

Finally, the deer stopped the graze.

This was the perfect opportunity.

Orion prepared his bow.

“Wait!” Ioli hissed. “Tell me, brother, what are you doing?”

“Preparing to kill it.”

“Him. Are you bloody mad?”

“What?”

“You’ll be gods-blessed if you kill him, but worshiped if you actually touch him.”
“Ioli, no.”
“Tell you what. If I touch him, and he doesn’t maul me, we’re good as gods. But if he tries to kill me, feel free.”

“I—”

Too late. 

Ioli was already walking up to the deer. 

She walked up to him.

His large eyes became even wider.

“Hey,” she said. “I’m not gonna hurt you.”

She stuck out her hand.

The deer appeared hesitant at first but he went towards Ioli’s outstretched hand.

He put his nose on it.

Orion grinned.

He put aside his weapons and walked up to the deer.
“Sorry I tried to kill you.”

The deer seemed to forgive him, as he put his nose on Orion’s hand as well.

The deer then bowed to the two of them.

Ioli bowed back.

Orion followed suit.

The Syka bounded away into the wood.

“That was interesting,” said Ioli.

Orion nodded. The deer was too beautiful of a beast to kill. Even for a hunter touched by Bugara.

“We should head back,” said Ioli. “It’s getting dark.”

“Yeah,” said Orion.

He followed her.

The two stopped at a river. 

The river a large, stony, abandoned well by it.

Strange, Orion thought.

He knelt down and took a sip from the rivers icy waters. He filled his flask with water after.

Ioli only took a sip before she decided to look at the old, creepy well.

She leaned over the base and looked down it.

“I wonder how old this—”

The stone beneath her crumbled and she fell.

“Ioli!”
She screamed, but Orion never heard a splash, or heard her hit the bottom.

He suddenly felt something strange. 

Like a pair of hands on his back, pushing him into the well. 

Orion tried to grab the edge and see his attacker, but it was too old. The well crumbled under his grasp, and he plummeted into the old, mysterious well.

Isiabel followed Gabriel and Lea through the icy wasteland.

Isiabel had faced the coldest winters in only a cave, but she’d never been this cold in her life.

She pulled the multicolored coat closer to her.

They only shaved the birds, she assured herself. These Outposts are sick.

“Stop!”
Isiabel wanted to laugh, but the direness of the situation made it hard to.

“We take the minecarts here,” said Gabriel. “I assume the dwarf knows how to operate.”

Bret nodded. 

“I’ll go first. Who would like to come with me?”

“I will,” said Jade.

Bret got in the minecart, along with Jade.

Lea pulled the lever, and the cart began to fly down the tracks.

Isiabel shuddered. She hoped they’d be okay.

After two agonizing minutes, she heard Bret’s voice call back to them.

“We’re fine! Jade threw up, but we’re fine!”

Isiabel heard the girl’s protests, but she was glad the cart was safe.

After another minute, it came back.

“Who else?”

“I will,” Isiabel volunteered.

“As will I,” said Virion.

The two climbed into the cart.

“Hold on to your head, Leafbrain.”

“Hold on to your hair.”

Gabriel pulled the lever, and the cart went flying.

Isiabel couldn’t help but scream as it left behind all sense of security and her stomach. 

She then saw a wooden pole in the middle.

“We’re going to crash!” she screamed.

“No, we’re not!”

Isiabel shut her eyes and screamed.

She then felt the cold air of the outside hit her.

“You can let go of me now.”

Isiabel didn’t realize she was holding Virion around the shoulders in her terror.

Embarrassed, she let go, and made a point to throw up right by his feet.

Bret sent the cart on.

After a few minutes, only Genna returned in the minecart, looking green.

Bret pulled the lever as Genna regained her bearings.

The cart swished up, and Cedric and Eira both looked green, but Cedric actuall threw up.

Bret sent the cart along one last time, and Lea and Gabriel came back.

“Do not touch the lever,” said Gabriel.

“I know,” Bret responded.

The group walked further up.

After five miles, Isiabel felt like she would pass out from the cold.

“We’re here.”
Isiabel gasped at all the corpses strewn out. 

Isiabel shuddered. She then saw the people frozen in ice pillars.

“I believe that’s Coraina,” said Gabriel.

“What is this, a history tour?” Isiabel asked, looking at the ice pillar. In it was a redheaded woman, wearing a blue gown. Her expression was a mix of resentment and terror, her dark eyes wide. She had a long scar starting at her hairline, going down her eyebrow, cheek, jaw, and her neck. 

Isiabel furrowed her brow.

To her remaining brain cells, this didn’t add up.

“I don’t understand,” she said.

“Huh?” said Gabriel.

“If Coraina is frozen,” Isiabel explained, “then how is she causing all this?”

“She has a good point,” Eira said.

“Then it’s not Coraina,” Bret affirmed.

Virion touched the pillar.

“If it’s not Coraina,” he said, “then who is it?”

Isiabel tilted her head to one side. That was the real question to ask.

She looked down to see an orb.

It was a small, clear blue orb.

“What’s this?” she asked. 

“I don’t know,” said Cedric.

Genna peered over and her face transformed from it’s blankness to a look of pure happiness and joy.

“It can’t be,” she said.

“What?” Virion asked. He looked. “Oh, gods!”

“Someone please tell me?” Isiabel asked. She was getting curious and annoyed.

Bret, Jade and Eira both looked absolutely confused.

“It’s a dragon egg,” said Genna. “Soter the First supposedly destroyed them all. But there’s more. Who would’ve know that?”

Isiabel grinned.

The egg seemed…. Hopeful.

She wondered how old this egg was, and how it would even hatch.

But she could’ve sworn there was a crack on it.

Eat my drawers, Soter.

“Do no move.”

The absurd accent, more absurd than Gabriel’s, pulled Isiabel out of her thoughts. She would have laughed if the tone of the voice wasn’t in a threatening, deadly way.

She turned, scared.

She hoped it was the General, but his accent was too absurd to be him.

She saw a man and Lea.

The man was tall, his blond hair cut short, his eyes the color and coldness of ice, his skin deadly pale. He looked like a true Northman, aside from his white teeth.

And he was holding Lea by the throat with a knife.

Lea squeaked and tried to move.

Isiabel mustered up her voice in a squeak.

“Who are you?”

“Do not move,” he repeated. “Or I’ll slit the little girl’s throat.”

Angelica waited by the window.

Kai would show up.

She frowned, looking at her sack.

She hoped he would come.

“Hey!”

“Ah!”

Angelica jumped as she heard the sudden voice from the window.

Kai was sitting there, smiling.

“Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be.”
Angelica prepared for climbing out the window, just as she heard footsteps.

“Hide!”

Kai jumped out the window. He then screamed.

“Kai!” Angelica looked out the window. There were two guards there, as well as Ygar, grinning wickedly. 

He spied on us, Angelica thought angrily.

She barely felt the guards grab her.

“So that’s why you wouldn’t marry Aleksander.” Olenna stepped out of the shadows. With her black gown and smudged kohl, she looked like an undead vampire, ready to suck all the joy out of Angelica’s life.

Or the remainder of it.

“You were going to run off,” Olenna continued, “with a bastard.”
“I want to marry for love!” Angelica shouted. “I don’t think that’s something you’ll ever know!”
“That is enough from you, you wretched witch!” Olenna growled. “Take her away.”

Angelica refused to scream.

Until she saw the guards seizing Freya, Antonia and Helene.

“They’ve done nothing,” she snarled at Olenna.

“They have associated themselves with you, making them treasonous,” Olenna explained. “They will have the same fate as you.”

“Execute me if you must, but if you lay one finger on them….”

Olenna laughed. Her laugh was cruel and cold.

“Execute you? Ha! I would never think about that. That’s too good for you. Resume.”
The guards dragged Angelica away, as well as Freya, Helene and Antonia.

Don’t kill them, don’t maim them, don’t do anything to them! Angelica prayed in her head.

The guards dragged her up a few flights of stairs until they threw her into a room.

Angelica gasped as she hit the floor.

She looked around.

It was a room made out of gray blocks. The bed was fine, and so was the rug. Everything was fine and soft, yet it was in a gray shade, and the window was small and barred.

Did Olenna have to stay here? Angelica wondered. Was she forced to marry? Like me?

Suddenly, a sense of fury overcame Angelica.

She screamed, punching the wall.

She expected her knuckles to be bloodied by the force, but the stone moved.

That could be…..

Angelica grinned wickedly.

She punched the wall again.

It moved.

She formed an idea in her head. She and Kai wouldn’t be locked up for more than three hours.

Eliza was glad to have her brother back.

She told him of Edmund’s illness.

“Best not to get too close to him,” he told Eliza. “You could get whatever it is.”
She nodded.

Selene didn’t seem the least bit shaken over the snakes. She did, in fact, seem a lot calmer. 

“How was it?” Laena asked. “Seeing those snakes?”

“It was a little scary at first,” Selene explained. “Then I sang them off me.”

“How do you do that?” Bran asked.

Selene shrugged. “If I knew, I’d tell you.”

Eliza was impressed by her friend.

**************************

Laena was nearing her time. 

Eliza and Selene went back to the forest to get more herbs.

“We should split up,” said Selene. 

“Yeah,” said Eliza. “But where will we meet?”

Selene pulled out her knife and stuck it in a tree.

“There,” she said.

The two went their separate ways.

Eliza continued to pick herbs, until she tripped.

She then landed in front of a wilted, yellow flower. Its petals were gray from the beginning of October. 

Eliza reached out to touch its petals.

With all her heart, she wished it could be back to its full glory as it once was.

Before she knew it, the flower blossomed into a beautiful, yellow summer glory. The petals were wide and full, like a chrysanthemum, the stem the brightest shade of summer green. 

I’m a witch.

Before the Darkness had hit her town, witches were burned.

Selene didn’t believe in witches. 

But can I trust her?

Eliza was snapped out by a scream.

She ran towards the direction of the cry of terror.

She stopped at a high ravine, but it gave her a good view of the victim.

Selene was on the ground, a large direwolf snarling at her. 

“Selene!” Eliza screamed. “Sing it away!”

Eliza even didn’t know if she could. 

Selene took a shaky breath. She moved further away, not getting up. If she did, the wolf could attack her. 

Her maintaining eye contact was fine.

“Footsteps on the leaves

I’m hiding in the eaves

Your eyes pierce my back

‘Cause I have what you lack.

You stalk me like a wolf

Make me feel like wet wool

But you can’t take

What I already have.”
Selene took another breath.

“I try to sleep

And I try to keep

A calm mind

Don’t try to take what’s mine

“You stalk me like a wolf

Make feel like wet wool

But you can’t take

What I already have

“You can’t take my love

You can’t take my humor

Can’t take my wealth

‘Cause it’s just a rumor

“Can’t take my sass

You can’t take my voice

Can’t take my sense

Can’t take my poise

“You can’t take my friends

Can’t take my pride

Stop followin’ me

Your takin’ my life.

“I’ll rest now

I wish you good sleep as well

I don’t wanna know

If I’m in heaven or hell.

“Footsteps on the snow

Now you know

You can’t take what 

I already have.

“I can sleep well now

As I know you’re in town

Without your eyes on my back

Like a feather, I’m glad

Since you know

You can’t take

What I already have.”

The wolf slowly began to back off, until it rested its head down. 

Selene relaxed.

Eliza decided she would tell her.

As Selene hiked up the ravine, Eliza was ready.
“Selene, there’s something I need to tell you.”

********************

The girl had taken the news fairly well. 

“Witches are evil,” Selene assured her. “You’re not a witch. You have… gifts. And I won’t tell anyone, don’t worry.”

If that was the best possible reason to keep Eliza from getting burned, she’d take it.

“Thanks, Selene.”

“Hey. Friends don’t rat out friends.”

Helina was making a great recovery.

Her wounds had stopped bleeding, but she still wore bandages just in case.

She was now able to dance with Misty and Gideon, as well as walk around.

But she missed her crew.

And Gideon noticed. 

“You miss them.”

“Who?”

“Your crew.”

“Yeah. I miss them. But Creus has made it as if I can’t go back.”
Gideon sighed. “I think I know what you can do.”

“Really?” Helina felt a jolt of excitement go through her. “How?”
“It’s dangerous.”
“Spill it! Please! I need to know!”

“Fine. You see that island a few hundred yards away?”
Helina squinted over at it. Sure enough, there was a small island. “Yeah.”

“Well, they call it the Island of the Gods. It’s where you can go to make deals with the gods. That’s how my father got Myrna’s attention.”

“What did he do again?” Helina asked. 

“I never told you. He could sing better than anyone.”

“Really?”

“Yes. And he bragged about it to Sol. He wasn’t happy, so his house burned. He prayed to Myrna, who became his wife. Sol was with Myrna before, so he didn’t stop hurting him. Or me. So Myrna moved us both to this island, stayed a while until she had Misty, and left.”

“That’s a sad story,” said Helina. 

“So, go to that island, and make a deal with Creus. No god can hurt you there. It was where me and my father stayed while Myrna looked for an island.”

“Thank you, Gideon.”

“Don’t rip your stitches on the way.”

Helina chuckled and took the rowboat.

“Where are you going?”

Misty approached Helina. 

“I need to get back to my crew,” said Helina. 

“Alright,” said Misty.

“Hey.” Helina looked her in the eye. “When I come back, I’ll find a way to get you off this island.”

“You mean that?” Misty looked hopeful.

“Of course,” said Helina, as she rowed the boat to the island.

It was a sunny day, but the sky immediately clouded up. 

Thunder rumbled as Hel reached the island. 

“Go back,” a voice whispered.

“No,” Helina responded.

“You’ll regret it.”
“How?”

“I cannot stop you, Helina Bramblefoot. You won’t like what you have to do.”

“Huh?”

The voice said no more.
Helina rowed until she reached the island.

Cay was a better way to describe the small, sandy bank that could disappear with the tide. 

Helina felt her feet sink into the sand. Rain began to pour, and thunder boomed.

Lightning flashed, and Creus was there. 

“Hello, Bramblefoot,” said the god, his voice booming. “I never thought I’d see you again.”

“Well, now you have,” growled Helina. “I hope you’ll leave me alone at sea.”

Creus chuckled.

“No, I wouldn’t. I’d let you drown. I assume you’ve come here to make a deal with me?”

“If it’ll get me back to my crew.”
“Does that mean you're ready to make a deal?”

Helina held her head high and kept silent for a few moments. Finally, she opened her mouth.

“Name your price.”

A smile curled across Creus’s face. 

“You’ve read the Tome of Bramblefoots, right?”

“Yes, I have. Why?”

“Do you know about the deal the Bramblefoots made with the merfolk?”

Helina cocked her head.

“Well, every one hundred years, the youngest female offspring between a merman and a Bramblefoot woman must be sacrificed back to the sea. The instructions are all in the book. Take her to the edge of Death’s Desert’s Sea, which you know as the Bloody Sea, wrap her in a cloth dripped in Bramblefoot blood, wrap her up, and throw her in the ocean. She will be in a cocoon of her own flesh.”

“Will she survive?”

“Maybe.”

“Alright, sea god, tell me something. Who is this girl?”

Creus grinned. “Isiabel Bramblefoot.”

********************

After saying her goodbyes to Misty and Gideon, Helina took a raft they made and let the currents take her to her ship.

She knew the ways.

Then she saw it.

The Shadow’s Kiss.

“Hey!” Helina cried. “Hey! It’s me!”
She saw Tia look over, shout an order and steer the ship towards her.

Her face looked more than overjoyed at the sight of her oldest friend.

Gideon, Misty, I’ll get you two off the island. Don’t worry. I’ll be back.

The crew members lowered the ropes for Helina to grab on to. 

She allowed them to pull her up.

“Captain!” Tia ran over to hug her. “We thought you were dead!”

“Well, I’m not,” said Helina. “But we have to do something to keep it that way.”

The damage of the ice storm wasn’t too bad on her property, just chipping an old well. 

Everyone else thought otherwise. 

“That Shima girl always gets her life spared,” she heard one of the women at the market sneer.

You don’t know anything! Tori thought angrily. I have to work for everything I have while you people have your lives served to you on a platter of your choosing.

She stormed back to her house. She smiled at the fact her flowers didn’t take any damage from the merciless storm. 

Tori loved those flowers more than anything. Her roses, peonies, and other large flowers were her real treasures in life. 

Not the treasures Musekin brought back from his long journeys.

Not the house.

The flowers understood her, as well as the barmaids, Millie, Naomi and Delia.

From afar, she had wished Delia good luck on her trip to the seaside village.

The other barmaids, Lyssa and Rose, didn’t think very highly of Tori. 

She didn’t care, though. It was normal at this point to be cruelly treated.

She sighed. 

That storm was so strange. Never in history had there ever been a storm that rained ice.

Normally, there would be hail, but this one rained full on icicles.

Some people whispered that it was a sign from Jova for who-knows-what.

Tori wondered what she could do about the old well. 

It was chipped and ruined from the icicles that banged against it.

Tori thought she heard voices down in the well.

“Where are we?” a female voice said in an annoyed tone. Something about her voice was strange, though Tori couldn’t place why. 

“I don’t know,” said a male voice. His voice was also strange, like the woman’s. 

“Hello?” Tori called.

The woman muttered something, while the man called back up.

“Hello?”

“Yes. Hello! How did you two get down there?”

“We fell,” said the female voice. “Can you throw us a rope? It’s weird down here.”

Tori felt perplexed. It was a well. People had described being down in wells many ways; wet, dark, quiet, but never weird.

“Alright,” said Tori. “I’ll get a rope.”
Tori didn’t have any rope, so she had to go into town to get some.

She then bought a flask of wine to quench her thirst, and cheese to extinguish her hunger.

Tori then saw the rope.

Putting down her flask, she began to bargain with the man behind the counter.

“That’ll be twenty,” he growled at her.

Tori handed over twenty gold pieces. 

She grabbed the wine, took a sip, and headed back. 

Tori didn’t know why, but she felt eyes burning on her back. 

She turned, and saw no one.

Her vision went blurry, then black. But someone caught her out of nowhere.

“I told you you’d regret crossing me,” said the familiar voice of General Zain as Tori Zo’s world faded to black.

************************

Tori woke up to the moonlight. Her coin sack was gone. 

No, no. 

Tori covered her mouth and sobbed. 

In Shima, if someone robbed another, they were given a trial and sentenced to at least twenty years in prison. 

In Yyraen, if you made it to a trial, you’d spend the rest of your life in an oubliette. That was if the angry mob didn’t get you first.

Stone prison!

Tori remembered the people trapped down in the well. 

She ran back to her house with the rope in hand.

“I’m here!” Tori called. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright!” called the girl. 

Tori tossed down the rope. “Can you get it?”
She felt a tug.

“Yes!” said the boy.

“Okay. Can you climb up?”

“Yeah,” said the girl. “Orion, you go first.”

“Alright.”

Tori felt the boy’s heavy weight as he climbed up the rope. 

“Hello.”
Tori jumped, briefly letting go of the rope.

“Zain,” she growled. “What do you want from me? Haven’t you taken enough?”

“I can’t risk anyone finding out. About the people in the well. Ever.”

Tori was too slow to move out of the way as General Zain shoved her into the well.

She heard the boy hit the ground a groan. 

It didn’t sound like someone hitting the bottom of a normal well.

Usually there was a splash, or a different kind of floor that had been hit.

But this ground was a different kind of ground. 

Tori couldn’t put her finger on it, but it sounded so different.

She grasped the edge of the well, but she didn’t know if it was the crumbling wall, or Zain’s hands that pushed her into the stony prison.

***********************

Tori groaned as she opened her eyes.

Maybe all this was a dream.

When Tori woke up, she was in a strange barren land, with dead trees reaching towards the blood red sky, and the ground the color of blood.

It felt like rough coral.

A man and woman looked at her. The man’s should-length dark hair was tied back, his dark skin somewhat cut, and his large brown eyes filled with terror.

The woman had lighter skin, her long black hair tied back into a braid, and amber eyes filled with defiance and the spark to get out of this place.

“Who are you people?” Tori asked. “And where am I?”
“I’m Ioli,” said the woman. “And this is my brother Orion. We came from Wisphaven.”

“Wisphaven?” Tori asked. “I’m from the Emerald Isles!”

“I thought those were a myth,” said Orion. “We just want to go home.”
Tori, this being too much to absorb, fainted.

Isiabel held up her hands. 

“Sir,” she said. “Relax. Who are you, and what do you want?”
“I want to free my love,” he said. “The love the dragons took from me!”

“That was only Drusilla,” Virion reasoned. “No other dragon.”

The man bared his white teeth. They looked so much like fangs.

“It must never happen again!” growled the man. “That is why all dragons and Hybrids must die.”

“Stop telling me about your vengeance and TELL ME WHO YOU ARE?” Isiabel shouted. She was done with this man.

The man grinned again, pulling Lea closer. She squeaked. “Help.”
“My name is….”

“Tristan,” Isiabel whispered. 

He was Coraina’s lover. He’d supposedly gone somewhere and died, but that apparently wasn’t the case. He was standing there, Lea’s life in his hands, literally. 

“How did you survive?” Isiabel asked. 

“That’s for me to know, and you all to never find out,” Tristan answered. “The Seven will never defeat me, or save the dragons.”

“What are you talking about?” Jade asked. 

“The prophecy,” said Tristan.

“What prophecy?” Bret asked.

“The thief, the elf, the guard, the hunter, the sailor, the merchant and the castaway,” whispered Eira.

“What?” Isiabel was confused. 

“Huh? Oh. I don’t know. All of that came to my head,” said Eira. 

“Yes, that,” said Tristan. “And three of you are them. I will kill all of you. If I don’t, the king will do it for me.”

“What?” Genna snarled. “You are not only a murderer, but a liar as well!”

Tristan laughed. It was a horrible sound, like rocks falling on stalagmites. 

“I don’t lie, Genna, I equivocate.”

“How’s that any different!” Cedric demanded. 

“Actually, it’s very… oh, we don’t have time!” Tristan pressed the knife closer to Lea’s throat. 

“Don’t do it!” she squeaked. 

“Let her go!” growled Gabriel. “Release my sister, now!”
“Ooh, siblings.” Tristan’s smile grew even bigger. “Just what I need.”

Before Isiabel could comprehend, he slit Lea’s throat, and Gabriel collapsed into a bloody heap, as his heart exploded and every bone in his body broke.

Tristan dropped Lea’s body. 

“Well, the guards will be here,” he said. “Ta-ta.”
Isiabel charged just as he disappeared into a puff of smoke. 

Damn him!” she growled.

She then turned to hear Eira scream.

How did the guards get here so fast?

Isiabel turned to see the egg and Eira falling into a hole in the snow. As in a large blank circle in a random spot.

Eira was falling into it, along with the egg. And she fell threw.
“Don’t do anything!” Isiabel ordered Jade, as she jumped into the hole.

Her world then went black.

*********************

Isiabel felt as if she was going through the minecart, but without the minecart.

She was tumbling through blackness, losing control of her senses.

She screamed, but she made no sound in this strange traveling. 

She then stopped, floated, still in blackness, and then felt as if she was being spit out by a giant leviathan. 

Isiabel’s vision came back.

She saw Eira standing in a barren, red wasteland. 

The ground was like hard, red coral, the sky was the color of blood and cloudy.

Isiabel shrieked as Virion knocked into her. 

“Ow!” she groaned. 

“Sorry, Isiabel,” he said. The elf stood up.

“This looks like Death’s Desert,” he said. “Though it’s not that big.”

Isiabel looked around.

This wasn’t an ideal place to be in.

She turned to the other two and picked up the egg.

“We have to get outta here,” she declared. “No matter the cost, we’re getting back to the Emerald Isles with this egg.”

Freya was terrified. 

She had been locked in her cell for more than a day, and they hadn’t let her go.

The cell was dark and damp, only very few rays of sunlight coming in every day.

Her rays of hope. 

Freya curled up on her cot, avoiding the sunlight now. It was a way to cope with being locked up. 

That night had been terrifying. 

Freya had been asleep when the guards came and grabbed her, Antonia and Helene. 

Freya was then dragged to a tower, where she was tossed a shift.

She put on the shift, and sat in the cold cell. 

The past month had been cold, but she wasn’t used to such cold weather.

Even as somewhat of a Kerstov, she never really liked the cold that much.

The door to her cell creaked open and Olenna walked in, followed by two guards.

Does she think I will attack her? Freya wondered. She would never.

She knew better than to attack a noblewoman.

Even if she was Olenna Kerstov.

“I bring you good news,” said Olenna. 

Freya lifted her head.

“Antonia has been released. Ygar and I didn’t want it to happen, but it did. By the nobles, she was released from her cell.”
“What of Helene?” Freya asked. 

“Still imprisoned.”

Freya frowned.

Olenna smiled and tossed a tray down. 

“Enjoy,” she said, before leaving the guards. 

Freya sat in silence until she heard a rumble.

“What is that?” Olenna demanded from outside. 

“Come, my lady,” said one of the guards. Freya heard footsteps, guards' feet pounding across the floor, and something crumbling.

“Get the children to safety!” 

Freya curled up on her cot as she heard a tower falling. 

She hoped that it would be over soon.

If I could see myself! she thought. A curled-up, scared little girl! 

But I have every reason to be frightened.

*********************

Tristan dripped the blood of the victims on the ice pillar. 

Where the egg was going, it would never come back. 

As well as Isiabel Bramblefoot and Virion Whitewing.

That part of the prophecy was over, as well as Jade Swallow getting locked up.

A good day for Tristan.

Coraina’s hand had thawed, but it was as limp and lifeless as a dead person. 

But Tristan hoped the blood would do otherwise.

When he found Drusilla’s bones, he would destroy them to prevent the prophecy from happening.

He grinned as he saw Coraina’s middle finger begin to twitch.