Cracked | Teen Ink

Cracked

By Lexi_Roses BRONZE, Redmond, Washington
Lexi_Roses BRONZE, Redmond, Washington
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

Author's note:

I just love to write, I've been writing for a while now and I'm so proud of the start of this series and I do hope you guys love it as well I learned to love the character and story line as well and so have others that read it so far. I grew up in the same town. I also love to draw and sing so I try to put as much stuff into my creativity as possible and I hope you guys love this peace and there will be more to come from this amazing story.

I woke up to men in white hazmat suits dragging me out of my bed. I screamed not because I was sacred it was because they decided to come into my home in the middle of the night to drag me out of my bed, how dare they.

“Let me GO!”

I screamed I didn’t want their hands on me where was my mother and my step-father? I was panicking the men tried to calm me down but I wasn’t going to fallow them to the unknown I didn’t do anything wrong to them or anyone for that matter.

“ma’am calm  down! You need to come with us we won’t hurt you.”

Yeah right, I thought if they were not going to hurt me them they wouldn’t have came into my room while I was asleep at three am in the morning to take me away they would have kindly knocked on my door like normal people no way I was going with them. I fought with all my strength. One of the men in the suits pulled something out I couldn’t see exactly what it was, then I felt pain soring pain in my bad then everything went black.

I was in a memory from before my father disappeared…

“Daddy!!” I screamed happily giving him a large hug.

“hey baby girl, want to go out to the park today? Daddy has the day off and Mommy has a surprise for you.”

I giggled hugging him tightly nodding to his question. I never gotten to go out as a whole family before so I was excited.

“mommy is coming oh yay!”

He hugged me tight. Breathing in the flowery smell of my hair.

“I love you Ella I love you so so much…you won’t understand now but you will someday.”

I wake up in a room, but not my room. I begin to panic. Where was I?

I don’t hear anything but the sound of water dripping in a puddle somewhere in the mysterious dim-lit room. I wasn’t in my original clothing, I was in white shorts and a tank top I shivered from the gust of wind. Standing up I felt fine the pain from earlier was gone all that was left was a horrible headache. I notice the door it was made out of some sort of metal walking towards it I reach out for the handle.

“boy, I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

I turn immediately looking straight at him putting my hand on my hip I check him out

“who are you calling boy? Do I look like a boy to you?”

His face changed immediately it looked to be shock but I wasn’t totally sure.

“I uhm no my apologies, but don’t open that door”

I noticed the warning in his voice so I step back from it sitting back onto the small bed on the floor. I didn’t know who he was, duh how would ?  I’ve never been in a place like this…I wanted my mother even though she fell into drugs and stuff after my father disappeared and started dating someone who got her into it I hated him I wanted him out of our lives he ruined her. Getting back my reality the first thing I noticed was his eyes, they were a piercing beautiful gold color I’ve never seen anything like it. He had hair that was rare as well a beautiful black and blond he was all out handsome.

“may I ask you something?”

He nods sitting beside me “go for it”

I had to think of my question I want to say I’m not totally sure of what I want to say but I have to ask the right questions.

“So, what is this place for one?”

He smiled “you said a question I didn’t know you were going to ask for more.”

I glared at him this isn’t the time to play games, does he know that? We are in a prison for crying out loud this isn’t a game. I disliked him for this.

“can you just answer my question?”

He smiled looking into my eyes his smile faded more to curiosity what was he looking at? What’s wrong with my eyes?

“earth to handsome boy! He-llo?”

He shakes his head looking into his hands sadly. I was horribly confused with everything going on, was it that bad that I was in here maybe I should ask a different question. I was just super lost and confused about this whole situation I don’t deserve to go into prison my step-father did he was a horrid man a man no woman should love he brought my mom down into the depths of depression and obsession it wasn’t fare she deserved a lot more than what she got she deserved someone who actually makes her happy not numb and sad, my Mom fell after he disappeared years ago she didn’t know what to do with herself, she felt helpless and alone then my brother left and made things so much worse he was holding up the family even if he was away he kept our mom intact until he disappeared to I felt abandoned but I did nothing to the point of being in a prison.

He finally answers bringing me back from my thoughts.

“this place is a special place. Its not like any other prison…once you’re here you cant ever get out,”

He looked devastated I wonder what kind of life he had outside of this place I wanted to know more about him.

I wasn’t sure who was in my cell but it was someone new, great my escape plan was ruined. This boy is now in my cell sleeping peacefully I watch as his breaths rise and fall peacefully. I’ve been here since I was ten years old I’m not seventeen years I’ve been in here for seven years of my life I figured out when I gotten in here that it was because I was special I had these powers. I learned from looking at the halls and wards that its by the power meaning, I was the second most powerful Human in this facility and people were hesitant to get onto my bad side I didn’t have many friends in here but I grew up to know who was my friends and who wasn’t. I loved my life before I was taken in the dead of night. Getting out of my thoughts I see the boy about to open the door.

“Boy, I wouldn’t do that if I were you,”

He looks at me angrily with his hand on his hips.

I finally looked at the appearance I was so quick to think it was a boy, only boys are in this facility I’ve never heard of a girl being in here. Ever. It just wasn’t done. females didn’t have powers only males did.

She looks at me she had beautiful long curly light brown hair she looked fit to fight, strong and had attitude. I was honestly surprised someone like her is even in this facility. She sits down on the bed looking at me I walk sitting beside her she looks at me and I notice her eyes, I should have looked at her eyes I’m an idiot I should have known, her eyes were a light purple while the other eyes were dark purple. I’ve never seen anything like it before I was kind of shocked it was something that was unknown. She felt uncomfortable of my stare I finally adverted my graze, I was a mess even if I just met her I don’t even know her name I’m and idiot boy. She asked a question so I answered it with honesty, people like us will never be able to get out of a place like this it’s never happened before. Looking back up at her I smile showing hospitality.

“What’s you name if you don’t mind me asking you?”

She was quiet for a moment looking into my eyes like it was something she never seen in her life before as well, my eyes were gold like the sunlight I’m going to laugh at her reaction when she sees everyone else eye color, does she even know her own eye color? I’m not going to question that.

“My name is Ella Lorelle’s, what’s yours?”

I look at her she may be a potential friend and ally I’m hoping I don’t get on her bad side.

“My name is Braxton Felon, yeah I know the last name sounds weird as hell but my parents named me”

I laughed at my own humor but she didn’t more at all she was looking at me like this wasn’t a laughing moment and maybe it want but I know we all need to have something to cheer us up, oh well I tired. I want to warn her what this place is about before someone comes in here and takes us out of here.

“I want to tell you something you may not like but please don’t freak out about it stay calm it’s going to alter your whole world I swear it did to me as well.”

She looked curious now so I began with my speech of horrors.

I was listening to Braxton speak he was very interesting I held onto every word he said.

“so, this place isn’t normal, I mean duh but there is more to this than you think…Ella, right? -”

I nodded I felt he was going to drop a bomb about this place maybe I might want to punch him I put my hands in my lap.

“- anyhow, this place is special for special people not murder or anything more like powers. - “

he holds up his hand to explain before I asked questions because I have a lot of them right now. How is that even possible? He must be on drugs that’s what it was mhm that’s the only logical thing I can come up with.

“let me explain luv, I swear I’m not on drugs I’m fully aware so anyhow you noticed my eyes, right? There gold, yes well it has to do with my strength and powers I’m the second most powerful being in this facility. Yeah that sound crazy but it’s true I figured that out a little while after I got here seven years ago. I noticed your eyes, they are purple which is saying a lot due to the face you a girl and you have the rarest eye colors I’ve seen in my life don’t get me wrong they are beautiful but super rare you could probably kill armies for all I know but we won’t be sure until we figure out your strengths,”

I was dumb struct this was NOT possible this stuff didn’t happen in reality this kind of stuff doesn’t exist this-this I was panicking I stood up and started to pace with my head in my hands this is not the life I wanted this was not what I signed up for I wanted to be a normal teenage girl finishing high school and going on dates, not being stuck in a prison filled with crazy people I sighed very loudly to show my frustration.

“THIS really can’t be happening right now I’m dreaming I have to be dreaming this stuff just doesn’t happen nope, sorry Braxton I just can’t take this it’s too much I need to get out of here they got the wrong girl its some other girl but not me.”

He laughed this time at my comment oh he is totally a jerk.

“Ella here is the thing this it all real this is happening to you weather you like it or not luv because only males are supposed to have this stuff happen to them, females don’t have this. You are the first female to have this happen to them that means the female human race is evolving and more chaos is bout to strike…you are all going to hell, Ella welcome to your new home.”

The door suddenly unlocks with a loud buzzing sound followed behind it. The door opens and a man comes in grabbing both of us putting us in light cuffs looking down I see the blueish white glow.

“time to go, play nice girly and I might be kind to you”

I struggle a little the cuffs were tight on my wrists why did they even name the light cuffs if they weren’t light yeah right so good for the name.

Braxton chuckles looking at me with a smile whispering towards my ear.

“He is my personal favorite.”

I rolled my eyes this boy was crazy but for some reason I was attracted to him he was just so interesting to me even if I didn’t know everything about him. Yet.

I look around the hall paying attention to anything that stands out, there was a sign on the wall saying

B12

I was confused about what that’s meant but ill have to figure out what it means later maybe ask Braxton about it I’m sure he would know. We went into the elevator and the guard smiles at me to Braxton.

“How is it going with miss attitude here, I heard she is the most powerful and the first female that means a lot…don’t fall for her to easily she won’t be here for long.”

I glared at him while the doors closed on the elevator. This man was horrible he talks about me like I’m a “cute” pet of some sort I swear men can be pervs. Looking at the ground the elevator was going up but it felt like forever. Finally, the doors open up and he pushes me out of the elevator. Hard.

“Can you be more kind damn you don’t have to shove me I won’t do nothing I’m in these light cuffs. I swear men these days”

The guard glares at me raising an eyebrow he looks like he was going to say something but Braxton stops him before he could do something.

“Hey joe what’s for lunch? Is it good five-star meals again?”

The guard Joe Laughs sending shivers up my spine.

“you know it Braxton best meals ever!”

I look at the double doors the letter saying

LR1

It probably means “lunch Room 1 meaning this facility is bigger than I thought, how many people are even here? I didn’t want to ask because I probably don’t want to know. Walking I feel all eyes on me I was terrified. The whole lunch room went silent. Dude have they ever even seen a girl before this is ridiculous! I laughed to myself.

The guard Joe smiles, “Nice way to make an entrance beautiful.”

I look at him in disgust and hatred. The guard takes our light cuffs off our wrists and Braxton gently grabs my hand walking towards a table full of boys.

He sits down looking at everyone, I awkwardly sit down as well looking at everyone sitting at the table, there was a boy with all white eyes and bright blond hair. There was another boy with fiery red eyes and red hair with a face full of freckles there was a few others that had normal looking eyes like blue and green but I figured that weren’t normal as well. Braxton smiles to me warmly and everyone waves.

“I don’t know these people,” I whispered in his ear all my nerves were set on edge.

He looks at me seriously “its going to be alright these are the good guys they would protect you with their life”

He spoke louder for everyone to introduce themselves.

“hey guys I want you to meet Ella can you guys introduce your selves? I promise she doesn’t bite, yet”

He laughs so casually this area is like is sanctuary. So, I listen to everyone at this table speak

The boy with white hair stands up and bows.

“My name is Zayden Renforth it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

The other boy with the red hair stands up winking at me, I take note that he was once probably a lady’s man

“I’m Hunter Lockent I’m probably older than you but it’s a pleasure to get to know you as well in the future a friend of Braxton is a friend of ours, darling.”

Hunter didn’t look ugly no, he was maybe 6’4 well built I swear his muscles looked faked but I know better that they are not. I laughed in spite of myself. Zayden looked at me his head cocked

To the side pointing at me but looking at Braxton.

“Is she good? Can I note that she might be a little crazy?”

Hunter says, “Aw, don’t do her like that man, maybe she was laughing at you.”

I looked at Hunter with a sarcastic smile.

“No Hunter I was laughing at you, actually.”

I noticed how Braxton was quiet during all of this. I whispered to him

“Hey you alright?”

He looked over at me, he smiles but it looked worried or faked I couldn’t tell which one. He nodded saying nothing. My stomach started to growl I wasn’t sure when the last time I’ve eaten

“I’m going to go get something to eat before whatever time runs out.”

Standing up to walk towards the serving area Hunter stands up as well

“I’ll come with you for protection.”

I stop walking turning around slowly putting my hand on my hips showing my frustration.

“Yeah, no thanks I can handle myself I’m not a damsel in distress I can do my own I’m pretty capable”

His face drops, he sits back down as the boys at the table says their “Oh’s” and “ah’s”

Looking at Braxton he had a smile on his face. Turning my back to them I continue my journey to the food service. While waiting in like I thought about my dad. I went into one of my favorite memories.

We were at the park with my mom, my brother and my dad sitting on a blanket the warm sun shining on my golden sink lighting my hair in deep gold ringlets the win was gently blowing through my hair, dogs made barks while kids made happy screams of excitement. Sitting with my legs under me eating cookies I frown.

“Mommy,” I say sadly, “why can’t we do this more often…?”

Mom smiles putting her elegant fingers gently threw my hair.

“Oh sweetie, its because daddy has an important job so he’s always busy.”

Looking over at my older brother he glares at our mom like he knew something I did not

That memory was my favorite but I was starting to notice what was wrong with it, if only I could ask my older brother what was wrong that day and what he knew I could understand what happened to ur dad. Getting back to the task at hand I see a boy standing in front of me with a creepy smile. I give him an intimidating stare to try to get him to go away but of course he didn’t.

“Can I help you?”

The boy smiles taking my hand in his, kissing it I look at him disgustingly, why do boys think their so damn charming I just don’t understand it.

“Hello beautiful, my name is Kevin Hall, would you like to sit at my table? I swear my group would treat you right.”

Kevin points his thumb at his table, looking in that direction all the boys looked creepy so I decided ageist it no way in hell I would sit over there, I took note of that.

“Yeah uh no thank you Kevin you guys look like creeps I can see the red flags.”

He looked offended, I honestly didn’t care. He grabs my hand pulling me towards his table aggressively.

“Your sitting with us I don’t care what you think”

I glare at him. Nobody was going to help me? Damn I guess im going to have to do this myself.

“Yeah no thanks ill pass.”

Pulling away breaking away from his grip I kick him hard in the golden spot sending him to the floor groaning in pain I got in his face.

“Next time you want to try to take advantage of a girl I would think twice or maybe three times before doing so I’m not the once to mess with.”

I kick him again but as I turn around walking back to get my food he pulls my hair sending me falling backwards I fell to the floor with a band I felt my head spinning I dig my nails into his skin he yells

“You B*tch!!”

I push him off of me glaring at him. Who does he think he is?

“I said do mess with me!”

He comes at me again with more aggression I block his punch grabbing his fits in mines. We went back and forth I punch him sending him to the floor, I was so mad I couldn’t stop blood was everywhere by the time one of the guards got me off of him. I scream.

“Stop! It was him he started it.!”

I fight the guards in a blind rage, struggling I didn’t start it so why am I the only one in trouble it made no sense!

“Let me go!!!”

I kick the guard hard in his legs. Another guard walks up with a white object all I hear is the snap of electricity then pain and I pass out.

I honestly didn’t think a female could have these abilities. So, what does that mean for our society? I can feel a war breaking out. The thing that’s crazy about this all is that Ella has major energy bouncing off from her too much of it. I can feel the energy of people so far as long as I’ve been here, I’ve only felt a little but her’s could probably light a whole city so what does this all mean for everyone? Sitting at the table I was hoping the boys will be kind to her, welcome her here seeing as though she is the only girl in this facility, she needs someone to protect her, and I couldn’t be the only one. I trust Hunter and Zayden with this the most. I missed my little sister thinking about the protection Ella is going to need. Does my family wonder where I’m at, do they think I’m dead? I thought about it constantly. Looking around putting a pause on my thoughts. The boys were talking and laughing I look at the food service area, Ella was standing at the line in thought 

“Hey man you good?” 

I look over it was hunter speaking to me with a concerned look upon his face. 

“Yeah man I’m good” 

He points to Ella across the room shaking his head knowing exactly what I was worried about. 

“What are you going to do with her?” 

I shake my head not sure how to answer I would tell him what’s going on but there was to many people. I whisper to my friend’s name.

“Hunter, Zayden I need to speak to you guys alone its important.”

They both look at me seriously dropping the funny vibes. Zayden answers first. 

“Yeah? What’s wrong B, did something happen?” 

Hunter stands up without a word walking into the corner of the cafeteria. Hunter always knows what to do, he has that military attitude I don’t know where he’s got it from, and I don’t think I want to ask. But he is also always joking because he always tried to make light in a situation Hunter and Zayden are like family to me. Hunter lowers his voice. They were both facing me. 

“it’s about Ella, isn’t it?” Hunter says. 

Zayden nods along. 

“Have you noticed her eyes? Dude it’s insane, I’ve never seen anything like it before and she is a female, at least, I think? Maybe she could be transgender they have a lot of them these days we can’t tell a person from male or female it’s crazy.”

Hunter glares at Zayden with his eyebrows up. 

“You’re an idiot Zay, yes she is female I can tell,” He winks “, and plus can you shut up? B has something important to say so yeah shut your big mouth”

I laugh to myself; Hunter and Zayden always make things better. Ok tie for the information I’ve gotten so far on Ella.

“So, as you know Ella has purple eyes which I’m concluding is Hella rare and powerful, so what does that mean? What power does its intel? Another is females don’t get these abilities…so why does she had them and why does she have them and what does this mean to the human population is it good or bad?” 

I can see hunter and Zayden pondering it for a moment I’m guessing they both didn’t think of that being a possibility, but it is, and it is happening at this moment we are all realizing things we didn’t think they were possible before; things are just about to get worse, a whole hell of a lot worse. Hunter clears his throat nodding. 

“Ok, now that you put that into perspective, I finally see it. But I thought female did have these abilities so how do you know they didn’t? Doe a second I seen her eyes but never seen anything like it, other than her having them. As for her powers The Shadow will probably test her in the ring soon to see where she is placed.” 

Zayden stay quiet for a moment as he was about to say his thoughts on this, we all turn towards Ella’s voice. She hits someone. Hard. I was about to walk over but hunter stops me by grabbing my shoulder keeping me back.

“B no don’t save her she need to show the men she is capable in kicking their asses, if you help her now, this will keep happening to her and it will only get worse.” 

I look at him, not going to lie I was upset at the fact that I couldn’t help her but at the same time I get it, it wouldn’t help her it would put her into a deeper more complicated situation. All I could do was watch as the guards pulled her away with blood everywhere everyone was quiet after she left. Kevin was still holding his nose if only he knew what his whole face looked like I couldn’t help but laugh he deserved everything he just got from her nobody else did it because they didn’t have the guts to do so which was highly disappointing. Walking to Joe the guard I was pondering what I was going to say but nothing came to mind so I will just wing it. 

“Hey Joey boy, how’s it going? If you would be so kind as to let me go see my friend, she got into a situation that wasn’t her fault so what ya say?”

He looks at me and laughs out loud the whole cafeteria hearing it. I started to get pissed off, but I kept my cool. 

“Braxton no way in hell ill let you go you stay right here until it’s time to go, ya hear me boy?” 

I said nothing to him turning around walking back to our lunch table. The only thing on my mind was Ella I needed to make sure she was alright, safe and unharmed I would kick Kevin’s ass myself, but I kept my cool looking down at my hand’s. If only I could use my powers, I sighed. Hunter and Zayden sit beside me quietly concerned. Zayden puts his hand on my shoulder to let me know it was alright. 

“Dude chill is anything Ella could help herself after what she did Hell, I don’t think The Shadow would want to mess with her that would be a death sentence. Hunter laughs standing up pulling me and Zayden with him

“Let’s go guys we have curtain someone to give our attention to”

I watch as Zayden cracks his knuckles. 

“It’s about Damn time.”

I nodded in agreement. 

As we get home from the park my brother goes straight to his room slamming his door behind him, I wanted to know what was wrong, why my brother was upset even though we finally gotten to eat together as a family, but I decided ageist it I honestly probably wouldn’t understand, mom says it’s a teenager thing, so I left it alone. Sitting on my favorite white fluffy rug my brown and block kitten meows for my attention it’s weird how animals could talk to me, nobody else knows about this so I kept it to myself. 

“Attention, Attention!” 

I pet her smiling slightly. I love my kitten

“Oh, Lucy girl what am I going to do? Everyone is either upset at each other or never together and I can’t fix it…I just don’t understand.” 

The cat meows some more, “Ella sad, Ella, ok? Need more pets?” 

I shake my head no hugging her closely to my body. Mom comes into the living room her smile soft and caring. Her hair in a long ponytail that I loved to touch so much. She sits beside me. 

“Oh, my Ella what’s wrong I thought you has a great time.” 

She looks at me softly wiping away a tear that I didn’t know fell.

Its not fare mommy, dad and brother always make something wrong I just want us to all be together…But its never going to happen because something always goes wrong.” 

Mom pulls me into a hug standing me up she pulls me away from her so she could see my face, 

“Ella doll I have something special for you, but I need you to promise me that you would take really good care of it. Do you promise?” 

I wasn’t sure what she was going to give me I was now curious putting aside the emotions I’ve just felt I wanted to know the unknown of my mom’s words. I nodded eagerly to see what it was. 

“Ah, you have to say it I need to know you understand.” 

I smiled beaming at her.

“Yes Mommy! I wonder what it could be” 

“You will have to see,” she says. 

We walk to her room closing the door behind her she walks to her drawer opening the bottom one going through it she picks something up examining it then smiling.

“Found it! Oh, Ella dear you will just love it, it matches your eyes.” 

I look at her dumbfounded the thing she was holding was something round with lumps it sort of look like a rock but I wasn’t entirely sure why she would hand me something like that. She puts it into my hands I examine it closely. 

“Mommy what it this exactly?” 

She bends down so what we are eye level. 

“Its for if you ever lose yourself this will help you find your way to see things you thought was never possible like I said you might not understand now but your smart you will figure it out. 

Opening my eyes my head was pounding I groan sitting up blinking a few times I regain what happened in LR2 I check my body there was no more blood. Looking around the room I noticed it wasn’t the room I stayed in with Braxton I started to panic, I was all alone. 

As the days went by, I started a pattern it’s been about a month now and I’ve only left my room to take showers, they handed my food to me. I feel my self-going crazy I’ve searched this room twenty times over trying to find anything that could possibly help ne out here I came up empty handed. Until I woke up from the same dream, I’ve been having for days that make you question yourself. I felt something hard under the thin pillow I pull it out know what exactly it was. The rock my mom gave to me years ago is under my pillow, how did it get here? I hug it to my chest suddenly, I hear a cracking sound I look down at the rock setting it down it fully comes apart. It wasn’t just an ordinary rock, no it was a crystal a purple crystal it sparkles with a slight purple glow to it I finally understood what my mom was saying. 

“Holly Sh*t!” 

I feel the crystals energy surge through I heard the voice. 

Hello, Ella about damn time…

I look around the room confused of where the creepy voice came from. The voice was a man but very deep sounding. 

“Hello?”

Nothing happened for a moment until I hear a cracking sound from the crystal.

“Would you like help? I know how you can get your abilities back.”

My eyes go wide this is totally weird, should I listen to this thing speaking to me, could it help me? I decided to listen to the mysterious voice. 

“The chip is in you top left thigh if you want it out, you’re going to need to cut it open then you can have your abilities.”

I look around for a sharp object I could cut myself with. After a while of looking, I remember a sharp string I kept in my hair for emergency needed purposes. Pulling the forever string out of my hair I start sawing it through the few layers of skin on my leg until I reach the flesh where the chip could be. Blood ran down my leg like a faucet, I felt the pain hit me in waves I started to get lightheaded, but I didn’t stop until I knew it was there because I felt it. Pulling it out I snap it down I could see my wound heal, it looked like it was on rewind. I was shocked as I was watching it happen before my eyes. Stuff like this only happened in books and movies not reality I started to freak out. What is happening to me. After it healed, I felt stronger, more powerful something wasn’t right I noticed my Wrist it has black ink in a shape of a crystal. Like the one laying on my bed, I have so many questions it was impossible to get answers in here. Am I the only one like this?

“Awaken Ella, get ready for war my dear.”