The Thief, The Knight and The Wizard | Teen Ink

The Thief, The Knight and The Wizard

By 301440, Landenburg, Pennsylvania
301440, Landenburg, Pennsylvania

Author's note:

I am a screen writer but thought that it would be fun to write a book.

My first time so it may be a bit rough!

Guards run across the streets of The Golden City of Auria. They pass through venders selling meat and produce, Carts carrying hey and supplies, and random pedestrians going about their day. The people are annoyed by the guards' carelessness but in truth, the guards are focusing on catching a thief that robbed the Royal Vault. The thief runs across the rooftops in hopes to avoid any obstacles. “STOP THAT THEIF” a guard says while leaping over a cart of hay. “Yeah come on guys! Do what you're doing right now and have been doing for the past 10 minutes. “ the thief remarks sarcastically while jumping from rooftop to rooftop. “HALT IN THE NAME OF THE LAW” another guard screams as he slides under a cow. “Does that ever work or is that just in the script your’e given?!” the thief says another sarcastic remark which riles up the guards. The thief then notices more troops heading his way. He begins to realize that he can’t make it away on the rooftops… but he can in the poorer district. He hops down from the rooftops, guards close in so he jumps into a building where a small family is having lunch. He tells them to be quiet as guards pass by the windows. He quietly makes his way to back door and exits on the streets. The thief needs to get the Jeoff Bridge before the clock strikes twelve because then the bridge will pull up making him need to take the much more dangerous path home. 

The thief is stuck blocks away from the bridge with the whole city in the hunt for him. He gets up against a wall and uses his magic mirror to call his accomplice, Alice. “Alice. Alice, where are you?” the thief says into his small mirror. Suddenly a face appears in the mirror that is not his own. Alice responds “I’m on my way home. Ran into a little trouble.”

“Same!” the thief responds.

“We have an hour to get across the bridge! Be there before then!” Alice demands Frite while others seem to be punished behind her. 

“What is going on behind you?” the thief asks Alice but she cuts off before she could answer. The thief puts his mirror away and makes his way for the bridge. He is about six blocks from the bridge meaning he would need to hide his face for six consecutive streets. He also has to conceal the glowing artifact in his pocket. The thief begins his accent to the bridge. He passes ordinary people and animals, unaware of his importance. However, he soon encounters soldiers who are on the hunt for him. The soldiers are searching every person they see so the thief ducks into an ally and jumps onto the rooftops. The soldiers are up there too. The thief decides to shimmy across the roofs edge instead. He passes the guards narrowly but gets spotted by a kid who screams “THERE IS A PERSON ON THE ROOF!”. The guards look and see the thief. The thief drops down before the guards could get him. He lands in a pile of produce and as he guts up he notices guards coming at him. He ducks out of the way. Suddenly Alice calls him and says “Where are you? The Bridge is closing early because they don’t want us getting away!”.

“I ran into a little problem but I see the bridge.” the thief says. Alice looks up the road and sees a swarm of guards heading her direction and at the front is the thief running for his life. Meanwhile, the thief grabs a cart and rolls down the hill avoiding obstacles. He is smoking the gaurds and is sure to make it to the bridge in time… then a cart hits him out of nowhere! The thief goes flying and in the air as the guards watch. He hits the brick road face first. He is unconscious, laying on the ground. Alice runs to him and picks him up and hauls him towards the bridge. Just seconds away from making it, the bridge closes and they have no choice but to head into Old Auria. First they have to escape the police. Alice drags an unconscious thief on the road when she decides stealing a cabby would be a lot easier. She kicks some guy out of his carriage and hauls the thief inside. She kicks off and races down the street. She sees the entrance to Old Auria in the distance. Alice dodges multiple guards and innocents when she notices a whole army of guards are on her tail. She knows that no one would ever go into Old Auria if they had a choice so she rides faster and faster until the wind blinds her. The cart almost crashes but Alice saves it. She grabs the thief who is now half awake and together they cross the gate and enter Old Auria. The guards stop in their tracks and quickly close the gate. The two thieves are home free… well, almost.

The thieves have been locked out of New Auria and are on their way to their home in Old Auria. Years ago, the Council of Magic performed experiments using Blood Magic in Auria. They found out that Blood Magic is incredibly powerful as it gives the user the magical potential of the creature they drink from. However, Blood Magic corrupts the soul and eventually, the users of Blood Magic become thirsty for blood. Most of Auria was destroyed in their rampage but the council managed to lock them in a prison of their own making. They magically closed off Old Auria, leaving only one entrance to the now, Ghost town. The thief's knew that Old Auria is completely unsupervised and, if they stay out of sight, safe. However, Old Auria is not what it once was. Many people live in the once forgotten city as they cannot afford to live in the Golden City. They pose no threat to the thieves so they remain and continue to run their heists from the abandoned observatory. The thief's arrive at the beginnings of the city causing them to jump up high so they remain out of sight. They quickly and quietly make their way across the rooftops with the city growing the further they went. They see setlements and tents on rooftops, people hungry or high, and worst of all, piles of bodies scattered on the streets. The stench of the rotting corpses is a lot for the pair but they power through and continue on their journey. Suddenly, while the duo was quietly climbing a suspicious ladder, they hear screams emanating from the streets. As they look down they notice a mother and her son backed into the corner by Blood Suckers. The thief continues climbing but Alice wants to help. “Alice, we have our own business. Plus, why should we sacrifice ourselves for people who we don’t know, nor, care about?” the thief says while getting up from the ladder. “They need our help Frite! They’ll die without us!” Alice says. 

“That’s their fault. They made the choice to live here and weren’t prepared to fight.” Frite says as Alice jumps down into danger. Frite screams “ALICE!” inadvertently distracting the Blood Suckers. “Shit!” Frite says as he makes a run for it. Alice gets the two onto a safe rooftop and chases after Frite and the Blood Suckers. Frite pulls out his knife and cuts them down but one manages to bite him and suck some of his blood. Alice jumps and cuts the Blood Suckers head off. “Oh man that hurts!” Frite says in pain. “Stop fidgeting” Alice says as she bandaged his arm.

“You see Alice! This is why we don’t get involved with things that have nothing to do with– OOUUWW!” Frite gets cut off by Alice hitting his arm. 

“They needed help. You needed karma. I think this is a win win.” Alice says. The pair get up and continue their journey to the observatory. Once they reach it Alice says “Will you be okay on your own?”.

“Yeah. Wait, why would I be alone?” Frite asks.

“ Because I have to leave for a bit. I will be back.”

“Oh! Okay. Yeah.” Frite talks through the pain of his bite. Once Alice leaves he has the whole house to himself so he decides to use what he stole. He didn’t take any jewels or gold, he took the Chalice of Infinite Sustenance. The cup has the unique ability to copy whatever palatable item is placed inside once it is consumed. The Royal family recovered this from an archaeological dig and refrained from using it to benefit the public. Alice planned on using it to help the poor people of Old Auria so there is enough food for everyone. But Frite wanted to use it all for himself. This is one of the many arguments the two have had. Frite pours vintage wine, cheese, meats and the such into the cup and eats like a king. He eats so much that second after he is done, he is on the floor snoring. 

“Frite! FRITE! FRITE WAKE UP!”. Frite awakes to Alice standing over him with an angered look on her face. “Hey babe! Whats– what's the haps?” Frite says hungover as hell. You destroyed the entire house! Frite looks around and sees wine and food all over the room. “Oh. My bad.” he says as he lays back down. “Frite, listen. I am going to use the chalice to help the people. They need someone to look out for them. If not us then who.”

“WHAT! Ohh! My head. Alice, that's crazy. They would steal this from us in a second if they knew we had it.” Frite says while clutching his forehead. 

“Why’d you have to say that?”

“What?..” suddenly a team busts through the door. Royal Knights surround him and point spears at Frite. “What is this?” Frite asks. 

“It's better they have it than you.” Alice says.

“Frite Grey, you have the right to remain silent. Anything you say—'' Frites world slows down. All noise stops as Frites' mind processes this. The love of his life just betrayed him. He would have stayed like this if the guard didn’t say “Grand theft auto, grand larceny, murder…” “WAIT! MURDER! I DIDN’T KILL ANYONE!” Frite pleads with the guards but they don’t listen. Frite gets thrown in a cage and is lifted off towards the Golden City. He watches as a tear falls down Alice's cheek.