Kiran and The Fountain | Teen Ink

Kiran and The Fountain

By grapliza0825, New York, New York
grapliza0825, New York, New York

Author's note:

This piece is loosely based on the concept of the dark fountain from the game Deltarune by Toby Fox. More inspiration for this came from how my friends were there when I really needed them, and I consider this my first "big" story. 

Once upon a time, there was a boy named Kiran, born from a family of wizards in a world full of magic and wonder to be found each day. He grew up to be a smart boy, excelling in his classes, and learning spells with ease. Everyone around town was impressed with him. He was such a kind boy, who loved to help everyone and make new friends. But it all changed one day when he discovered an extraordinary ability to create light, something not all young wizards can do. Light can uniquely create life and even heal others that he desires. As he enthusiastically told his parents about his findings, they immediately made him feel like he had done something wrong. They explained how his ability can create a dark fountain, bringing chaos to the land and eventually wiping out the universe. From that point on, they limited him to the things he can and can’t do. But what changed him was what his parents had constantly made him think of. To further their point on why he shouldn’t present his power to anyone, they explained that if he told everyone about his gift, they would all use not only his gift but his kindness to their advantage for whatever they want. They purposely gave him this mindset, with the intention he will never trust anyone again which killed off his kind personality. From that point on, he only saw everyone with their dark intentions. His parents’ impact on him had created holes in his soul, which plagued his light, and only made it more dangerous if unleashed. Their impact was further strengthened when every day, he was told the consequences of the fountain. He would be repeated the same phrase by his father, Archibald.

“Remember son, once one drop of light falls onto the dark ground, the fountain will rise, taking the form of a black geyser in the sky. On the first day, the land will be shrouded in nothing but darkness, blinding them from looking afar. Only then will a mysterious mist appear, and turn all who get encased in it into stone. 

The story of the fountain always intrigued Kiran, as it did scare him. 

“What kind of power like this was given to a kid?” he always pondered.

“On the second day, the geyser reaches into the cosmos and takes down the black holes, causing our world to slowly fall apart. Out from the black holes, will come the shadow people, who will see our planet as another one to conquer. From there, they will violently murder anyone who opposes their incoming new world order. Only they could control the fountain, making their dominance reign supreme.”

Tales of the shadow people had always frightened Kiran. The way his father describes them to be dangerous and ruthless had always haunted him when he slept. But whatever his dad told Kiran only discouraged him from ever shining again. 

“Finally, on the third day, the universe will cease to be. The fountain shall be strong enough to penetrate our planet and eventually consume the universe. Do you understand why you cannot use your power? Do you understand the consequences of that?”

“Yes, dad. I understand” Kiran repeated after his dad. 

“Excellent. Be careful who you trust,” Archibald replied.

With the belief that his parents are only trying to do what’s best for the world, he went ahead and decided to get rid of all his former friends, along with preventing himself from making new ones. For 5 years, Kiran had completely become a new person. He felt like his own life did not matter, and there’s no point in trusting anyone anymore. If the fountain was created, it would be his fault, and he wasn’t willing to become close with someone just to hurt them. All he could think about was that this was a good thing, whether he liked it or not. And while he knew that he was doing the right thing, it made his life all the quieter. 

Years later, on a Monday morning, 14-year-old Kiran woke up from a long night’s rest and got ready for just another day at school. Every morning, he would always go to the mirror and look at his messy black hair never having the thought to comb it. When anyone looked at him, the first thing they would see was his gold eyes, which presented a tired expression on them. Kiran was always tired. He went ahead and chose a casual gray hoodie to wear, along with jeans. Going downstairs from his bedroom, he skipped breakfast, picked up his bag, and went straight out the door. His parents were far too busy to pay attention, or even say goodbye to him. This was what happened every morning in his household. 

Walking to school was something Kiran had silently enjoyed. Just hearing the environment around him was soothing, and made him forget life for a while. But this beautiful moment shortly ended once the building was in sight. It felt as if the peaceful experience that was just happening had suddenly vanished, and the world was working actively against him. Kiran had entered his classroom, sat down in his assigned seat, and awaited further instruction. Observing his surroundings, he noticed something new. With his peripheral vision, he saw one of his peers looking at him, but every time he turned around to look at him, he would quickly look down and make himself look busy. He shrugged this off, but it was an unusual predicament. 

Kiran walked towards his next class, and the day was the same as any other. However, something new happened. And while it wasn’t something he was happy about, he certainly didn’t stop thinking about it. Walking through the hall, he was stopped by Tirion, the same kid who had continuously stared at him early. He was seen as a bit smaller than average but had a kind heart with piercing green eyes and black hair. He wore a black sweater and looked just like any other kid. 

“Kiran!” cried Tirion.

Kiran had turned his head, but said nothing, regularly following his morals. He continued to walk away.

“Kiran, I’ve noticed you really haven’t talked to anyone. So I was wondering if we could be friends!” 

Tirion put out his hand, waiting for Kiran to shake it.

“No thanks,” Kiran replied. 

“But why? I’ve seen how you stay away from everyone. I was thinking that maybe I can be someone you can rely on,” Tirion asked.

“I’m fine, really,” Kiran claimed.

“But you look so sad. Maybe you just wanted someone to talk to?” questioned Tirion.

At this point, Kiran didn’t know what to do. When people had asked to befriend him, he would usually say no and they would walk away. But Tirion was offering help, which is what no one ever did to him. Before Kiran could even think, another one of his peers appeared right before him, Warrick. It looked like he wanted to be included in this conversation, so he made himself present in it. He was a tall, strong person and looked like he could pack a punch, not to mention his red eyes and social status. He had gained himself the reputation of being one of the most popular kids at school with his unique way of combining magic with his strength. However, the introduction of Warrick in this situation only made things more stressful for Kiran, who didn’t even have an answer to Tirion’s question.

“You’re that quiet kid aren’t you?” Warrick asked.

All Kiran could do was look up at Warrick. 

“Why do you look so upset? Cheer up, fella! We can be your friends. Me, you, that small scrawny kid over there. It’ll be like the 3 musketeers! What do ya say?”

Warrick had made himself sound welcoming and friendly towards Kiran, who he just interacted with for the first time. Kiran was willing to accept his offer but was reminded of the consequences.

“No forget this, forget everything,” Kiran answered, continuing to walk away. He was glad to have gotten himself out of that situation, but at the same time, felt like the perfect opportunity was wasted.

Tirion and Warrick looked puzzled as he walked away. Anyone in the school would’ve accepted an offer to be friends with one of the most popular kids in school. 

“Why do you think he’s like that?” Tirion asked Warrick.

“Man, I don't know. I can only assume that either he’s mean, or there’s more to him,” Warrick responded.

“You’re right. There’s no way there could be just one person who hates everyone and everything every day! We’re gonna find out what ticks him. By the way, why did you join in on our conversation?” Tirion questioned.

“You kidding me man? You were dying out there! He could’ve hurt you or something! I had to make sure you were gonna be okay!” Warrick reassured.

“I’m not that weak if that’s what you’re thinking! But, thanks for at least making sure I’ll be okay,” Tirion acknowledged.

As the school day continued, the mere thought of the conversation was enough to make Kiran forget what he was doing. He never encountered someone so determined to befriend him. He chose to leave them be, but deep down, for the first time, he had regretted his decision. The personalities of both of them had made him question how he should perceive people. Tirion showed that he was very accepting and willing to help. As for Warrick, that jock appearance combined with a playful attitude left him puzzled. Seeing people like Warrick and Tirion was so unusual, but calming for him. For his entire life up until now, he thought everyone was plain and simple, maybe even horrible. But today he found out that not everyone was so bad. And even though he wanted to talk to them more, he forced himself to stay away from them. Kiran’s crisis had grown the more he thought about it. He wanted to talk and become closer with both of them, but putting them in danger was something he would have to take into consideration. If he truly cared for them, he would stay away. But while he is forced to stay away from them, just knowing that there are people like them made him a bit more sympathetic, something he hasn’t felt in a long time.

The days had flown by so slowly, with him constantly thinking about whether the world had always been bad. One day, he was walking home from a regular, boring, and now miserable day at school, when a fox appeared in front of him. The fox had stood in his way, looking severely beaten, and was blocking him from moving along. Not knowing what to do, he stared at it and wondered if he should help it. Then the fox looked back at Kiran.

“Please boy, help me,” The fox pleaded.

“It will only take a little time, and I promise I will repay you.”

Kiran’s newfound sympathy had made up his mind to help the fox. Not knowing any healing charms or spells, he instead offered to take him to an infirmary.

“Don’t worry. I’ll take you to the infirmary, “ he reassured.

As he picked up the fox, it yelped in pain and got down from his arms, refusing to be brought to the infirmary. 

“I’m sorry boy, but I cannot be healed by such remedies. I must be helped another way. Take me into the woods, and find a nice smooth area on the dark ground. Place me there and I will tell you how you should help me.”

Knowing that the fox possibly didn’t have any time left, Kiran picked up the helpless fox and carried him into the woods. It was only the afternoon, but the sun had given such a beautiful red color in the sky, which he admired as he ran holding the fox. Entering the forest had made the atmosphere have such a drastic change. It felt cold, and whatever remained of the sun was gone. The trees were so tall that they blocked the sky, but only slight cracks of sun rays were made visible. Eventually, Kiran found a clear area of dark ground to place down the injured fox. 

“Alright. Tell me how I can help you.” Kiran said exhausted from running.

“I require light to heal me. Please young one.” The fox said 

Kiran stepped back, remarking his father’s warnings, and realized how close he was to the dark ground. But he was even more concerned with what the fox knew. How did the fox know about his power?

“Who are you?” Kiran asked quietly.

The fox slowly stood up and winced in pain a bit. 

“My name is Jaakobah. All I ask from you is to be healed with your light. Please, boy. I beg of you.”

Kiran stepped back even more from Jaakobah.

“How do you know about my power?” he asked nervously.

“I see you constantly playing with it. You are not careful with your power. You can cause great destruction with it, and yet you decide to play with it. Why is that?” Jaakobah asked.

Jaakobah was not wrong. He had constantly played around with his ability, going against his father’s wishes. And in doing so, knew that a simple mistake could cost the world. He thought he was being careful with it, but there were some instances where the world could have ended. Kiran sighed after hearing that Jaakobah heard the truth all along. 

“It would be boring to have a gift that you can’t even use,” Kiran replied. 

“I’m forced not to show it. And no one else knows about this ability so I just look like a regular kid. But I work hard to prove that I can be powerful without it. It’s just that sometimes, I like to fidget around with it.”

“An unfortunate story for you,” Jaakobah responded. 

“But maybe you can use that ability for the good. Please, use it to help me. You can discover how amazing it is, and it all starts with helping me.”

Kiran had grown sympathetic enough to help the fox. He knew what he was doing would help this fox and he knew that at one point, he would have to begin to change his dark outlook on the world and finally see some good. After all, he has the ability of light.

“Fine. I’ll do it.” Kiran said with great intent.

For the first time, he was using his power. And it was to help someone, which made this experience even better. He lifted his hands and placed them over the fox, and light had slowly begun to shine on Jaakobah. Both of them were enjoying this moment, but something was off with Jaakobah. When healed enough, Jaakobah leaped onto him, knocking him over. Kiran stopped emitting light, but one drop had already reached the ground. Jaakobah had begun to wildly laugh and transformed into a tall man that dawned a black robe right in front of Kiran. This is Jaakobah.

“You’re too late, boy,” Jaakobah said, turning his head to look at Kiran.

He vanished in thin air. As Kiran had tried to maintain the forming fountain, the geyser had immediately shot up in the air, destroying the red sky it passed. All Kiran could do was look in horror as the fountain had begun to take its shape.

Running back to town, Kiran saw everyone evacuating. He ran back home and found his dad and mom looking at the fountain. 

“Mom, Dad, I can explain!” he cried.

“There’s nothing to discuss,” Archibald replied grimly. 

Kiran felt as if everything he had come to know and love had been destroyed before the fountain could even do so. He looked at his palms and up at the fountain, realizing what he had done. He never should’ve trusted Jaakobah from the start. But nothing can change what he has started. 

“Son, please go,” Archibald demanded.

“I and your mother along with the rest of the guards will slow down the fountain’s effects for everyone else to escape. Go now!”

Kiran looked at him, and teared up, running in the opposite direction with the rest of the crowd. He knew that people would be suffering the consequences that he caused. It was too late to do anything about the fountain. They will all suffer. 

Dusk was approaching, and everyone was running farther and farther into the neighboring mountains of the village. The crowd watched in horror as their town was shrouded with darkness. Now the town is completely covered. Kiran remembered how the story goes. How there would be a mist that turns all in the cloud of darkness into stone. It was a form of how the fountain protects itself. Not knowing how to react, Kiran ran farther from the town, until he was somewhere where the mist couldn't catch up with him. He sat down next to a tree and began to sob, knowing that he wouldn't see his father and mother again. They risked their lives to protect him and the rest of the people. He hated how they had to pay for what he did. 

“Why couldn’t it have been me?” he exclaimed.

“Why was I so naive?”

Kiran approached the edge of the mountain and looked down below. He saw nothing but darkness, which had constantly beckoned him to join them. He knew that either way, everything would end surrounded by darkness. He just thought he should end it all now rather than suffer the fountain’s wrath. 

“I must pay for my actions,” Kiran said.

He let himself fall into the darkness, wishing it to all be over until he felt that he was falling no more. He was floating and was lifted back up onto the ledge of the mountain. Wand in hand, Tirion had saved his life. 

Pulling back Kiran, he looked at him to make sure he was okay. To his relief, he is. But Kiran had seemed sadder than usual. Just by observing him from the days, he put his head down, this was something they have never seen.

“Is he alright?’ Warrick asked, accompanying Tirion.

“Yes,” replied Tirion. 

“Alright, spill it,” Warrick asked.

“Yeah what happened? We just want to know if you’re ok,” Tirion stated.

“I’m not ok,” Kiran replied.

“I just destroyed the world. Why do you want to be near me?” What do you want from me?”

Warrick and Tirion looked at each other, now with the answer of who ignited the fountain. Both of them were scared and knew what it was capable of, but they wondered why he would make one. Did he hate everyone?

“Why did you do it?” Warrick had immediately asked.

“I didn’t mean to do it!” Kiran lashed back. 

“Look, I was helping a fox who turned out to be someone named Jaakobah and it didn’t end well. He tricked me into activating the fountain and now look where we are.”

Tirion and Warrick realized that Kiran had tried to help someone and considered that. But before any of them could continue talking, Kiran got up. 

“And because I caused this, I will seal the fountain alone,” he said.

“What? You can’t do that alone,” Tirion said.

“Yeah man, you’re asking for death!” Warrick added.

“This doesn’t involve any of you. I don’t know what you want from me, but stay away and let me end all of this,” Kiran scornfully replied.

Both knew they couldn’t talk him out of this right now, and temporarily let him go. But they weren’t going to fully let him seal the fountain by himself. They needed to evaluate why Kiran refuses help.

“Warrick, don’t get so uptight from him,” Tirion reassured.

“He was acting like an idiot there,” Warrick replied.

“Man, why can’t he realize that we just want to help him? I mean can’t he tell? We’ve been following him around all day! We were so nice to him!”

“We were, and we did our best,” Tirion assured. 

“But how can a dark fountain be formed? Only someone with a darkened variation of the ability of light can activate one.” 

“Well, you probably just answered your question there,” Warrick announced.

“Then it all makes sense,” Tirion realized. 

“I mean look what happened!” Warrick responded.

“He used his gift once and looked where it brought him. What’s the point you’re trying to make, Tirion?

“My point is that Kiran wouldn’t have been able to activate a fountain if it weren’t for something in his life that was bothering him. Any ideas?”

“I mean, the kid looks like he doesn’t trust anyone. Always hiding, hood up, and refusing to talk to anyone. Do you think that means something?” Warrick asked.

“It possibly could. Why would he not trust anyone? Did some traumatic experience happen that scarred him for life?”

As the two pondered their findings on the mysterious kid, they finally concluded. 

“He was hiding his gift to save us? And with that attitude?” Warrick questioned.

“I know it seems crazy, but he could be trying to not hurt anyone, by hurting himself,” explained Tirion. 

“I trust in that kid to do the right thing. And even though he was doing the right thing, in keeping his true strength hidden, I also wish that he would learn to loosen up a bit. Man, he’s so tense,” Warrick replied.

All of a sudden, the sound of the fountain had grown louder, while also growing in size. Warrick and Tirion looked at each other, knowing that Kiran cannot seal the fountain alone. Not with Jaakobah still on the loose.

Kiran was running down the mountainside and approached the village. From the multiple warnings his dad had told him, he knew that the mist was still lurking around the dark cloud that shrouded the village. He had to find another way in without going through the village. As he thought of a way to get to the fountain, Tirion and Warrick approached him. Kiran spotted them and questioned why they were here.

“What are you two doing here? I told you to stay back at the mountain.”

“You’re gonna need help if you want to get to the fountain,” Warrick told him.

Kiran had no reason to stop them. He knew that if he told them to stay away, they would just follow him. Defeated, Kiran signed and accepted that they were trying to help him. 

“Alright, fine. What’s your plan?”

“We run through the village. The mist can only track one of us, so it’ll focus on one while the other 2 runsWe can quickly diverge paths, and continue running towards the forest. The mist cannot enter the forest since that’s where the fountain is. The fountain gives off an aura that destroys the mist if it goes near its perimeter, being the forest. From there-”

“No stop right there,” Kiran firmly said. 

“That’s all you two do. After that, run back.”

Warrick finally snapped. He could not get why Kiran was refusing help for him. He took Kiran by his sweater and held him up. 

“Warrick!” Tirion exclaimed.

“I don’t get it!” Warrick told Kiran. You are refusing us to help you! Why don’t you want that? Do you not like us?” Warrick angrily stated. 

“Tell me! Tell me why you refuse to accept others? Tell me!”

Hearing this, Kiran’s breath became shaky. After Warrick found that he potentially hurt Kiran, he slowly put him down.

“I’m sorry man,” Warrick said.

“You can go alone, I’m so sorry-”

Kiran collapsed on his knees. 

“Did you ever wonder why I avoided everyone?” Kiran said with his voice breaking.

“I wanted to avoid becoming close with someone because I don’t want to hurt them. Please understand. I just want to keep everyone safe. The power I have can be dangerous if not used properly. And seeing you and Tirion being so kind to me made my reason for sealing the fountain by myself evermore stronger.”

Tirion and Warrick looked at Kiran in awe. He never acted this way toward anyone in forever. 

“Please, I-I-”

“I care for you both.”

Tirion and Warrick were right. Kiran had distanced and prevented himself from becoming close with anyone so that if he ever watched the world fall right before his eyes from his own doing, there would be no one he would feel guilty for. Warrick knew what he needed, and got up to hug him. Then Tirion joined in. Kiran never felt like this with friends. And now that he knows that someone out there cared for him, he felt empowered. He hugged both of them back and teared up even more.

“I can’t believe I’ve known you two for a few days, and I’m already so close to you,” Kiran said, relieved. 

“You two have been so nice to me, and I know I don’t deserve it. Not after what I did. I don’t understand, why did you two want to talk to me?”

Tirion and Warrick looked at each other and then at Kiran.

“We’re just simple people,” Warrick answered.

“Wanting to help someone.” Tirion finished.

Kiran had not believed in such simplicity for a long time. People wanting to help others just because they’re human? It was so new to him, yet so fascinating how someone could do so. For the longest time, he believed that people were only out to get him. Manipulated by his parents, he isolated himself from others, trying to prevent the fountain from being made. And the one time he begins to open up, he causes its creation. 

“Kiran. Even if you do somehow accidentally make a world-ending mistake, wouldn’t it be better to have someone right by your side till the end? Reassuring that everything’s gonna be okay?” spoke Tirion.

Kiran had never thought of it that way. In an instant, his views on the world had changed. Rather than seeing everyone with their own dark intentions, he saw that everyone deep down had wanted to do the right thing. Kiran stood up.

“No. I don’t want someone to be by my side when the world ends.” Kiran responded.

Tirion and Warrick looked at him in surprise. Were all of their efforts to help him for nothing?

“I don’t want to let the world end. And I don’t wanna seal the fountain by myself. I want both of you to come with me and we’ll do this together.”

Relieved, Tirion and Warrick both got up from the ground with a new hopeful look in their eyes and willingly accepted his offer. 

“If that’s settled, let’s go save the world.”

The three of them came into the village and bolted for the forest. The mist had spotted them and chased after them. However, their plan was a success, as the mist had kept losing them through various buildings blocking its view. As they dashed around, they found multiple people who fell victim to the mist and had been turned into stone. It was terrifying to see, as many people were left with screams of horror. Passing by, Kiran found his dad and mom, holding hands with their eyes closed. He couldn’t stop to take another second to look, but he knew he was going to make things right one way or another.

“Don’t worry mom and dad. I will fix this. I will fix all of this,” he murmured. 

“We’re almost there! Keep going!” Warrick yelled.

The three of them had finally reached the forest, where the fountain was located at the center. The mist had come to a halt and retreated back into the village. Before they could run towards the fountain, the three of them looked above at the night sky, which was now filled with the fountain. It made the wind roar and had a menacing look. 

“Let’s go,” Tirion said, interrupting them from looking at it.

“Right,” Kiran and Warrick said.

They all continued their path to the fountain, passing by the tall trees that made the forest. When they finally made it, they knew that it wasn’t going to be over just yet. One last thing stood in their way. Jaakobah.

“The fountain gives me life. The fountain gives me power. The fountain will provide for those it wishes to be kept alive. Why don’t you join them? Why do you wish to destroy it, Kiran?” Jaakobah asked in a calm voice. 

“That fountain will kill us all if we don’t stop it!” yelled Kiran. 

“We have to destroy it.”

“I’m afraid I can’t let that happen,” Jaakobah said. From his hand, he drew a scythe.

The three of them had grabbed their weapons. Warrick, armed with an ax, Tirion armed with a wand, and Kiran, armed with a sword. 

“Kiran what happened to the sweet boy that wanted to help a hurt animal?” Jaakobah mocked. 

Kiran drew his sword and started clashing with the scythe of Jaakobah. Tirion and Warrick aided him with spells and fighting support. 

“You have to let us stop it! The fountain will not spare anyone from the annihilation that will happen!” Tirion cried.

“Why should I? The fountain itself told me it has plans for me,” replied Jaakobah.

“Fountains can’t speak stupid! You must be hallucinating!” Warrick answered.

“But it isn’t speaking to you. All I can hear are the whispers that it is giving me. It tells me that I can be one with it if you just stop interfering,” 

As the sounds of clashing weapons ringed in an almost empty forest for several minutes, the fountain let out a roar, making the ground violently shake. 

“Funny,” Jaakobah stated.

“The fountain is sensing someone to seal it. It’s slowly starting to shield itself. Soon, it will be impossible to stop it.”

“I won’t let it end like this!” Kiran yelled. 

“Are you sure about that boy? All you’ve shown is that you want to put an end to this violent fountain, with violence. You’ve shown me how when you open up to someone once, they can take advantage of you. You’ve shown me that you are capable of creating a fountain. You have the extraordinary ability to help others, with no intention to help yourself. That is why you are where you are. You refuse to see light in yourself,” Jaakobah said.

Kiran was speechless. Jaakobah proved his point, and now he felt like giving up. Armed with the ability to heal, Kiran could heal anyone but himself. He limited himself badly to the point that a crack of darkness opened up in someone who used to be so kind and gentle. But upon realization, that crack had finally sealed. Kiran resorted to purely using light to finish off the darkness that is Jaakobah. However, something was different with Kiran’s light. It was shining brighter than ever. Prior to the awakening of the fountain, Kiran’s light was unpurified, being shackled from the boundaries he and his parents had created. However, it was his parents, who had constantly made his light lose its luster. Through all of that stress, a crack had formed in his soul, and in seeped darkness, which began to root out all over. But now that the real light was shined through, anything felt possible. Kiran had approached Jaakobah, shining his light so bright that it weakened him, putting holes in him, just like the holes left in Kiran’s soul. He stopped when Jaakobah was weakened enough, not able to fight back, and looked at the fountain, roaring more violently than ever. 

“What just happened? Kiran asked.

“You learned! You restored your light and now you can stop the fountain!” Tirion yelled.

Kiran approached the fountain and got his light ready when he was stopped by Jaakobah, who had retreated to an injured fox.

“Please! Don’t seal the fountain! I need it to live!” Jaakobah pleaded.

“I have to. It’s over Jaakobah,” Kiran replied.

“If you seal that fountain, you’ll have to live with the fact that the world will not be so kind to you. The fountain told me it will make a new world, where all could obey me. Where all could obey us. Besides, you wouldn’t let me die, would you? I’m now just a powerless creature. What harm can I do?” Jaakobah said.

Jaakobah’s attempt to stop Kiran from sealing the fountain ultimately failed. What Warrick said was true. If it weren’t for Jaakobah, Kiran wouldn’t be here now. He took a chance on him, and through the experience of trying to seal the fountain, he learned to find good in all, even the worst. Even though the world was about to end, Kiran learned from his mistakes. 

“I should thank you Jaakobah,” Kiran said.

“Thank me? What for?” Responded Jaakobah.

“If it weren’t for me trusting you to help you, and igniting the fountain, I wouldn’t have learned so many life lessons that I have failed to learn growing up. I learned that friends are so much better than loneliness. I even learned how to tame my light. My light was filled with little dark spots, which caused the fountain’s creation, but now it shines brighter thanks to those two, and even you. I’ve decided to spare you. You were deceiving me when you said the fountain kept you alive, right?”

Jaakobah didn’t respond after that, and Kiran leaped forward, shining his light into the fountain, causing it to disappear. The mist, dark cloud, and all the tragedies that the fountain caused were reversed, and all who were turned into stone had returned back to normal. The geyser was sent back down, into the ground. All that remained of the fountain was a white rose. 

The sun was rising and everyone in the village had shifted their attention to it. Never before have they seen a sunrise as beautiful as this one. Kiran, Warrick, and Tirion had gone up to the mountain later to take a look at the sunrise. As the sun came over the hills in the distance, the light had spread from one place to another, slowly rising into the sky. 

“It’s beautiful,” Tirion remarked.

“Oh hell yeah. These types of sunrises are the best. You should get out more Tirion,” Warrick replied.

“You know, this doesn’t have to be the end of our adventures,” Kiran asked.

Tirion and Warrick looked at him, wondering what he meant.

“Would you two like to hang out with me one day?” 

Both of them were filled with excitement, being that this is the first time in many years that Kiran had ever socialized with someone. Seeing him talk like a regular person made them finally find peace within themselves for helping him solve his internal conflict. 

“Yeah, man. Whatever makes you happy,” said Warrick.

“Maybe we can really be the three musketeers like you said,” Tirion remarked 

Kiran looked at both of his new friends. He had never been so thankful to someone. From this adventure, Kiran learned how to purify his light. But more importantly, he learned the joys of friends and found a little light in everyone.