Eligere | Teen Ink

Eligere

By WinsomeNightmare, Manchester, New Hampshire
WinsomeNightmare, Manchester, New Hampshire

CHAPTER I

The sword Eligere won every battle it had been in. Whoever wielded the weapon was victorious. It had been passed down, stolen, and won for generations until one day, the last champion who held the sword was old and selfish and hid himself and the sword so no one else could carry on it’s legacy. 

That was the tale I had been told since I was young. Since that day on I have searched high and low for the sword, but to no avail. I’m obviously not the only person searching for the weapon, but I will be the one to find it. I deserve to. The sword was destined to be mine, but that doesn’t make it any easier to find. There's that saying, good things come to those with patience, or something like that.

The place I’m searching now is the Cave of Orvimo. Orvimo was a warrior who owned Eligere for a few years. A few years doesn’t sound like much but it is. The sword was passed around a lot, there were plenty of occasions where people thought it to be lost but then a mass slaughter would occur. Orvimo died in the cave, his enemy Batil somehow got a hold of the sword in the middle of battle and stabbed Orvimo through the chest. 

I was at the entrance of the cave, about to call it quits when I heard shuffling behind me.

“Well, well, well. If it isn’t Mendax. What is it, the fifth time you’ve been here?”

“What do you want, Veritus.” I sighed.

“Not a thing, my dear nemesis.”

Veritus has always been weird. Our relationship has always been off. Since we were young we were thought to be friends, but I can’t get along with him. He makes my head ache. THe first time we met it was in the village chiefs lesson on how to make a fire. Even before me and Veritus had to work together I thought the whole partner thing was ridiculous. But the moment I laid eyes on Veritus I knew I would hate him, his whole demeanor was off. His head was always pointed up as if he was too good for everyone else, his hair was styled in a boastful way. His appearance was just calling for attention and I despised it. His personality wasn’t any better. He always thinks he’s right and never listens to logic. I just want to find that sword and drive it through his chest. He’s bothersome to say the least. 

“I will never be your nemesis Veritus, I’m too great for scum.”

“Scum.” He said as if he just ate something bad.

“Yes, it describes you perfectly doesn’t it?”

I pushed a few rocks out of the way, maybe the sword was under one or something.

“Well if I am to be scum, you must be a dunce.”

It was my turn to scoff, “I don’t even know what that means veritus.”

“Exactly my point.”

“If you're finished insulting me then you can go.”

“That's not a bad idea Mendax, your first one yet.”

I could still feel his empty eyes watching me, I turned, “Did you come here to tell me something?” 

Veritus blinked a few times, the smirk fading from his face before he stood up straighter, “I did actually. I’m about to go to the lake up North, I believe it’s called Animus’ Tears of Hatred? You’ve always been better with names than me…...”

I stared at him in disbelief. What a lousy trick. He couldn’t be more obvious. 

“....I just thought that if you're in here for the fifth time checking the lake again wo-”

“How do you know I checked that lake already?”

“Well you have- I mean you have- I’ve just already checked so I assumed you’ve also checked.”

Veritus trailed on, this is what I mean when I say weird.

“No, you can go by yourself.” I said

I turned back to the rocks and continued to push them around the area.

Veritus lingered for a few seconds before scoffing and walking off, or more like stomping off.

The cave was a bust, just like it always is. The trek back to my house was quiet, I was half expecting Veritus to jump out of the bushes at some point. Veritus was right about one thing, I have been returning to the same places. I’ve searched the Cave of Orvimo like a thousand times. It’s a waste of time at this point. And I am surely not the first to check that place multiple times. I need to venture out more. The problem is I never really left the village. The farthest I’ve been out is Animus’ Tears of Hatred, but that's only so far. 

I have to think about food, I know how to hunt at the very least, I would ask Miss Benuis for some food, but I’m already leaving, I couldn’t ask her to do that. 

Miss Benuis has always been there for me. My parents died when I was young, at least that's the story I tell. I was probably five, no one knows because I had just wound up at the local orphanage. I was in rags and had an empty canister attached to my waist. I still use the canister, even though I could get a bigger one. Animus would be proud of the sentimentalism. 

If I am to plan on going out I need to ask Miss Benuis, she is the owner of the local bakery.

She likes to know when I won’t be around for a while. She took me in when I was ten, she took in as many kids as she could. She gave us shelter in her home and all the extra baked goods she made. Getting the sword wouldn’t just mean fulfilling my destiny, it would mean glory for Miss Benuis, someone other than me who deserves it.  I mean, being the guardian of someone who wields the legendary Eligere? She raised me, she raised a soon to be legend, how much more glory could you ask for?

The bakery looked just like it always did, the moss growing on the stone bricks as evident as the day before.
 The door creaked as I pushed it open, the first things that hit me were the warmth and the smell of yeast and flour. Miss Benuis is known for her bread, but her cookies are my favorites. 
Miss Benuis was rolling some dough on the counter, flour covered the counter and her apron

“Good afternoon Miss Benuis, I got some of the berries you like.” I held up a basket full of various berries, they always grow in a spot near the Cave of Orvimo. 

Miss Benuis looked up from her dough, a smile spread across her lips, “You didn’t have to, dear, but thank the gods, I’ve been running out, just leave them over there.”

I placed the basket near the sink before washing my hands and offering Miss Benuis help. The dough was soft, being in the kitchen so often I could tell it was for bread, the smell gave it away. I made two lump shapes, the size of my hand and placed it on the tray. Miss Benuis added two more before putting it into the oven.

“Now we need patience.”

I groaned, waiting was a pain. 

“It’s only twenty minutes my dear, nothing to complain about. Now let’s check out these berries.”

Miss Benuis and I had some berries until it felt like we were the ones being baked. Miss Benius took out the bread and served me a piece with some soup she made previously. The soup was filled with veggies and the occasional chicken, it was warm while the bread was steaming, it burned my mouth every time, but it was too good to wait even longer to eat it. 

Miss Benuis seemed content. I didn’t want to ruin the meal, but I have to tell her at some point. Just leaving without a word would be far worse.

“I have something to tell you, Miss Benuis.”

She stopped eating, and stared at me, her smile fell, replaced with a frown, her worry lines apparent.

“Are you alright dear? You look so sad. I can bake you some cookies to cheer you up.”

“No that's alright Miss Benuis, It's just…”

I put my bread down. How do I tell her I’m leaving? Would she understand why? Would she not care at all?

“I’m going on a trip. I don't know how long it’ll last but I’m going out of town, and I just-”

Before I could finish I heard laughter. I looked up to see Miss Benuis laughing.

“Is that why you look so serious child?” She paused to regain her composure, “Don’t feel guilty dear, I know children have to leave the nest at some point. All I ask is that you be safe, Mendax.” 
“I’ll be back, I just don’t know when.”

“Don’t worry about that now dear, you should be thinking about the journey.”

After telling Miss Benuis of my departure, I started packing. Even after telling her she didn’t have to, Miss Benuis gave me some bread, fruits, and vegetables. I filled my canister for the fifth time before walking out the door. I could hear Miss Benuis sniffle, I wanted to look back, I wanted to run to her and never leave but I couldn’t. I had to do this. I had to find that sword for her. So I didn't look back, I sped up until the only sound I heard were branches snapping under my feet, and the buzz of flies.