Animals | Teen Ink

Animals

November 5, 2018
By akennedy BRONZE, Park City, Utah
More by this author
akennedy BRONZE, Park City, Utah
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I ran through the woods towards the school, the branches scraped my body. I could hear my heart beating faster and faster, my legs burned, but I knew that he wasn’t far behind. I pushed through a bush and saw the school once again. I jogged to the door, pulling it open, unsurprisingly it was unlocked. I quickly hopped inside, and quietly closed the door. I backed up against the corner of a wall, closing my eyes. I focused on him, searching for him, listening for him. I knew I didn’t have long till he came here, I had about five minutes at most. Finally, I had found him. He was still running through the woods, almost to the school. I opened my eyes, not five minutes, much sooner. I decided to take a glance outside before going any deeper into the school, the edge of the woods was empty. I sighed and turned back around to find a shadow. He stepped forward, showing himself. It was him.

“Long time no see.” He said smiling and pulled a wooden stake out of his pocket. “Did you really think I wouldn’t know when you used your ‘trick’?” He asked snarkily.

“I was hoping you wouldn’t.” I admitted to him, “We’re old friends, come on. Please, don’t do this.”

He stepped closer, “I wish I didn’t have to do this, but I do. It’s my job, Maxine.” He gave a soft smile, “I wish it didn’t have to be this way, but you’re a freak, a monster.”

“I’m not a freak, Blake.” I told him, “You’re the monster if you think that having both genes is bad.”

He looked down slightly, “Maybe I am, but at least I’m not half mutt.” He spat.

“This is not my choice!” I yelled, “It’s my parents' fault! I didn’t choose this!” I was getting angry, I could feel myself beginning to heat up.

He raised one eyebrow, “Feeling that gene?” He asked I could see him tightening his grip on the stake. “Do I need to get out the silver bullets?” He smirked.

I could tell he was just trying to make me mad now. I made my hands into fists, trying to stop myself from going full blown animal. “Well, you gotta do what you gotta do.”

He grinned, “Max, I…” He paused, “I’m sorry.” He lunged the stake towards me, I jumped back just before it hit my skin. He looked surprised that I was able to dodge it. Again he tried to place the wood in my chest, again I jumped out of the way, slamming into the lockers by accident. Blake’s eyes widened like he was worried if I was hurt.

“Don’t pretend you care,” I told him, annoyed that he would even try to make me think he did.

“I do care, more than ever. I know what they will do to you if they find you.” He said to me, his voice was low, and I knew he was right. If the council found me, I wouldn’t stand a chance. “You know what they’ll do.” He told me, “They’ll rip you to shreds, consider you just another mutt. Another enemy to deal with, but one that has been living in the community.”

“I’m not a mutt.” I told him, “I may have the gene, but I’m no mutt.” I slowly started to move, angling it so I could make a run for it if needed.

He stepped closer to me, “I know,” he agreed, “you’re no mutt. You still have that gene though, and it’s possible that I could shoot you, and you would live. It’s possible that only the wolf part of you would die off.” He smiled the soft smile he did when we had first met. It was possible that he actually did want me to live, that he wanted me to be wolf gene free.

“You’re lying,” I said to him, not knowing if he actually was or not.

His smile dropped, and he pulled out a gun. “Silver bullets.” He told me, “Honestly I could care less whether you lived or died, as long as the wolf dies it’s fine.” He admitted, cocking the gun.

I started to breathe faster if I was going to make the escape I had to do it now. His finger moved onto the trigger, I had to jump out of the way. He pulled the trigger as I moved. I ran down the hallway, moving from one side to the other. He fired again and missed me.

“Max!” He shouted, “Come back here!”

“When has that ever worked?” I thought to myself. Blake was never the sharpest tool in the shed, but sometimes, he was scary smart.

I stopped running and started to quietly step through the halls. I decided to take the back exit out, one that not many people knew about. I was almost to the door when an arm reached out of a doorway and yanked me into the darkness.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.