The Withstanders of Hypnotism and Other Short Stories | Teen Ink

The Withstanders of Hypnotism and Other Short Stories

By Hamza2022, Fridley, Minnesota
Hamza2022, Fridley, Minnesota

Part 1

Until then, I didn't know that I would be saving the world for most of the rest of my life. This mysterious teacher named Ms. Green came in one day with this weird and clunky cap. It had blood red spirals on it. I didn't understand, why would she need a cap like that? I saw after a while that whenever she put it on someone for whatever reason, they started acting strangely. It was like they were under a spell or something. The next day was where things flipped. She cornered me in the hallway. I knew something was wrong, so I wished I could use kung fu or something. Sadly, I didn't have any martial arts skills. She put the cap on my head when nobody else was looking. Then something unexpected happened. There was a distant rumble, a flash of golden yellow, and the cap flew off. At the same time, Ms. Green went flying into the wall and landed on the floor with a sickening crunch. The cap went up in a small explosion. I ran away from school at that moment and pumped my legs until they burned, but thankfully I saw a Target and ducked in. I thought I could hide in the store, but while hiding between joggers on racks, she found me. Man is she creepy. Ropes bound me. There was a gag in my mouth. I was being carried off. But then there was a flash of gold, a distant rumble, and I was suddenly free. She was gone. I cautiously went home and thought about it. About what happened. Twice.

I figured that it must be some anti-hypnotism power or something. Everybody knows that most power can be transferable. I decided to try it on my friend. The next day, I sort of "leaned on him" to change my shoes, but I was really concentrating on transferring whatever happened to me. I saw Ms. Green corner him later on, and there was a flash of light, a distant rumble, and the cap exploded. Ms. Green was out cold. He was befuddled. I came to explaining everything. First things first because hypnotism has no chance against me.

Part 2

I decided to gather a secret army within the school. Instead of weaving through small spaces between people in the hallways, I bumped into a lot of them on purpose. The more I did of what I started to call the transfer, the easier and quicker it was each time. By the time I was done with the week, I had an idea. I couldn't keep bumping into people forever, so I thought maybe I could send the transfer out in waves or pulses. I concentrated really hard, and I started to see golden-colored waves I was creating. Nobody noticed, though. I had covered the whole school in 5 minutes. The transfer also suddenly added knowledge of what Ms. Green was doing, so when I called a meeting, everybody knew what I was talking about. I explained everything that we have to do. Every day, we met so we can learn to harness our powers, which had a lot more to them. We could create these swords or something like them. Finally, we met on the battlefield. We shouted a battle cry. They moaned like zombies. Our swords rang out as we fought. The other side quickly got tired, so we pushed them back until I found myself face to face with Ms. Green. There was a flash of light, a distant rumble, and an explosion. The pressure was too great to bear, so she disintegrated.

Part 3

While I was lying in bed, I had a vision. It was not easily comprehensible, but I depicted what it meant. After I had the vision, I called a secret meeting. Oh, the good old times. The people who fought for me 6 months ago were here once more. I told them about what I was thinking about the vision. How Ms. Green was in a glass box and had wild animals guarding her in the Sahara. We started thinking of ways to get there because a flight was out of the option for a whole school. Some of us remembered about an assigned reading in ELA we had about underwater trains. We went to downtown Minneapolis and bought train tickets to New York. We got comfortable enough and started on the journey. The train started slowly, the started going faster and faster. I yelled, "I thought it was illegal to go at top speed!" I went to check with the driver, but before I fully entered the c***pit, I saw that he was moving robotically. I knew something was wrong. I ran back. I noticed that we were the only ones on the train. The feeling of dread grew heavier as I was hustling back. I came back screaming the words jump off of the train. We all jumped out safely. Within 300 ft., the train crashed and exploded. Another train was pretty close. We were lucky the conductor was friendly, so he picked us up for free. Soon, we arrived in New York. We got off at the station and found out the earliest underwater train was at 11:20 A.M. We decided we had enough time to quickly see the Empire State Building and go to the top. We arrived at the bottom of the magnificent building. The elevator ride was long, but when we got to the top, it was immediately forgotten. The view was stupendous, for we saw most of Manhatten. I checked my watch for the time and saw that it was 10:55 A.M. We headed back to the train station. By the time we got there, it was 11:10. Then I had another vision. I was behind the glass box. The sand suddenly started to churn rapidly...My friends shook me awake. "What happened?" I said groggily. They told me that one second was with them and the next second I collapsed. I told them what I saw in the vision. Two minutes later, we boarded the train and watched it go underwater. We wandered then the length of the train to see what it had. From that, we found out why it cost so much. While I was walking, I found a strong board made of thick cherry wood. I hid it under my bed in the sleeping car.

The next day, I woke up sleepily. I wasn't sleepy anymore when I saw who were chasing us. They were two wild leopards probably under some spell. I ran to the c***pit, shoved the pilot out of the way, and slammed on the brakes. The leopards crashed into the back of the train, stunned. I shot out of there at top speed, but the animals were back on our tail. The pilot was fighting with me until he saw what was happening, then he fainted. After a few minutes, we finally got away. I got out of the c***pit, went back to my friends, and explained why I woke them up at top speed. We trained all week for the rest of the ride. I pulled the wood out and painted a target on it. Our power sort of had a defense part to it, too. We could shoot these tiny darts with a good poison that slows and sometimes stops the hypnotic commands. We shot at the target until we were tired every day. It took us a couple of days after training to reach the Western Sahara. We walked across the desert for days on end. Finally, we reached the place with the commotion. The lions and tigers were roaring as we were formulating a plan behind a couple of tall sand dunes, watching them. I explained, "Okay, here's what we're going to do..." We attacked the wild animals. A lion came roaring at me and smacked me out of the way. When he pounced, I shot a dart like we learned on the train. He was spazzing for a few seconds but came to his senses. I looked back at the glass box and knew it was going to happen, that she was coming back from disintegration. The sand swirled once more, just like in the vision, and Ms. Green stepped out of the box, which disappeared. She muttered some words and opened a portal. She was wanting to get away! After she jumped in, The portal was starting to close. It took most of my strength to stop the portal from shrinking. Everybody was starting to jump in the red portal with gold lining it. I was the last one in. We suddenly appeared at our home. The animals disappeared, probably where they belong. I fought Ms. Green one on one. It looked like she was beating me until I pulled out this contraption I was working on after the First Battle. Six arm-like things came out of the gun and started extracting this red lightning-like stuff and forming it into a ball. I took that baseball-sized ball and fed it into a test tube. Meanwhile, Ms. Green collapsed. She should turn into a normal person with no recollection of what she did to us if the gadget worked. It was the first time I had to use it.

I was in ELA when the craziness started. My teacher was talking about comma splices. I was really excited about my first after school activity. I looked at the clock anxiously. For a second, the clock spun backward so fast that the hands were a blur. Then it spun forward. I blinked, and it was back to normal time. I didn't believe what I saw even when I saw Albert Einstein outside the window. I shook my head and it was gone. I decided to get back to work. The next day, in the middle of science, walked in Einstein. He explained what his famous formula meant after someone asked, and he taught us how to do a Rubix Cube. Science was fun for the first time in forever.

At math, the winds started picking up. The sky was darkening. I dismissed it as a thunderstorm. Then the tornado sirens blared. We all panicked and went outside. A tornado was roaring toward us. Oops, big mistake. Then the tornado flew up into the clouds. Then the clouds flew up into the...? They were getting sucked up. Then I saw the big gaping hole in the sky, time, and space. It was a time warp! Everything flew up from fearful people to trees to houses. Things were flying around. This caused me to cast a shield around me so I can avoid being crushed by a Chevy Silverado. Then I got an idea that might just work. I quickly jumped on a motorbike, dodged a tree branch, and I burned rubber off of the wheel in an attempt to reach the tallest building in the city. Stop signs flew like loose blades over my head which caused me to duck low. A hammer nearly struck me in the chest. A kitchen knife almost gave me a haircut. But I had to get there. When I arrived, I dashed up the stairs to the roof. I took a little test tube out of my pocket and flung it up into the hole. The warp expanded across the sky, then shrunk to the size of a car. I knew it would explode, so I had already cast a huge wide shield over the city and suburbs. And it exploded.

The time warp has disappeared not long ago. Until we were watching the news one night. It was about people disappearing consecutively. The problem was that the houses were all next to each other. The next day on the news, more people disappeared. This went on for a week, and then our own neighbor disappeared. I came out to see two things: a shadow of a big thing, and the neighbor's house in flames and destructed. I decided the shadow was probably the cause of the disappearances all week and that I should follow it. For old times sake again, I called a secret meeting. I told my army that I needed three volunteers for an upcoming chase. I also told them about my theory about the disappearances and who or what caused it. "We also need a car," I explained. Nobody volunteered, so I had to do something. I had to buy a car. I went over to a used car place. I had $45,000 from winning a spelling bee. I bought a used Kia Sorento 2017 and took it back to my garage. I attached these rocket boosters I bought with the remainder of my money to the back. It was all set. I called the three people who volunteered to be ready on the occasion the shadow might pop up. Finally, it did.

The three were all in the car. It was time to go. We chased the shadow across the city. It started getting away, though. I slammed the remote button for the rocket boosters. We shot out of there and started chasing the thing. Scorching the road behind us, we got up close enough to see it disappear, but not enough to see what was. I smacked the wheel and the car swerved. Then we heard the police siren. I regained control and smacked the button. We burned some rubber and left the fuzz investigating the skid marks and hid out in my garage. We thought about our case and made some important points. The attacks started happening shortly after the warp. We figured out that we needed to find out where this thing originally came from. I knew what that meant, I had to do investigating from the past.

I decided to go back to the day the warp exploded and have a stakeout. I wasn't sure if I wouldn't end up in the middle of Gettysburg or something. I opened up a mini-portal and prayed I'd end up in the right place. Closing my eyes, I stepped through.

The icy feeling when I stepped through was chilling to the bone. Finally, I had arrived. I saw the terror from that day. I saw myself on the motorbike, riding and hoping my plan would work. I hid behind a still on Earth shrub. The time warp exploded sometime after, and everybody went back to what remained of their homes - nothing. I planned to hide out until nighttime, but it didn't even take that long. Only one or two hours and a peculiar thing happened. A rip in the sky formed, the same place as the warp, and a creature climbed out. A... a... dinner plate??? But it had a dangerous and evil look. I followed it. It was looking for a place to hide out. It traveled for miles until it found a hidden cave on the outskirts. I went in and found vines of red encircling it, pulsing with energy. It was charging or acquiring energy. It shifted and spotted me. It let out a roar from what seemed to be a mouth. I looked for something to throw at it... a rock, perfect! I threw it as hard as I could and chipped its corner. It screamed in pain and fell to the ground. I opened a portal and disappeared.

I came back to the present and was pressed with questions. I told them everything before they went home. We planned to defeat it at the next attack.

I took the boosters off the car and adjusted them by adding a clip. I also made the amount of boost they give very low. They were small, so they can probably fit in one pocket each.

I went to school on Monday as normal. During lunchtime, there was a big crash and the china dish walked in. It was in the process of destroying the school when I found out how to get up there. I only need a lunch tray. I got one, clipped the boosters on one end, stepped on, and turned the boosters on. I bulleted toward the dish and chipped its other corner. It roared in anger and ran out. I followed it. I was dodging laser beams when I flew straight into the creature. At the last second, I kicked out and broke it. Everybody felt a huge sense of relief when the dish was gone.

Floating. What I have been doing my whole life. Swinging around and flipping some days. But mainly just floating. This is my story, the story of when my life changed. How I was changed. 
2 years ago…

Floating. What I have been doing my whole life. Swinging around and flipping some days. But mainly just floating. I wish something would happen. Just anything. All the other oxygen molecules stayed away from me, for I was the happy one, the carefree one, the optimistic one. I was a bit hurt because I really wanted to talk to them. Floating for eternity is fine, but I was lonely. Alone. Wishing something would happen, I floated there. Thinking. Until a… a thing whizzed past. A black and white checkered round planet with big patches of green. By that time I was scared out of my atoms. This is why I didn't see the GIGANTIC, MONSTEROUS thing speeding toward me. I was too busy panicking to notice until when I was sucked backward.

Darkness. I was going down a wide hollow tube with rings of this tough like stuff around it. It was coated with wet and slimy tissue and had us going down in it. Me and the other oxygens. Then there was suddenly a split in the tube. Two narrower tubes were looking at us. I was pulled toward the right tube. I got whisked left and right into narrower tubes. I got stopped when we arrived at these sac-like things with pulsing red tubes crisscrossing over them. I got shoved right into the sac. There were a lot of us inside… but not us, different oxygens. Bouncing around, sometimes passing through the walls into those red tubes. I realized they carried blood. I’ve only heard rumors about the red liquid. It has these red circle-shaped thingies that hold you in and transport you. But those were rumors, and they exist in this monster. As I waited, other oxygens were coming in. Then it was my turn to go through the wall. I passed through and found myself in the new world. The rumors were true! Red discs were passing by and oxygens were leaping toward them. Shuck it! I have to jump on too! So I did. I was officially being carried. Big whoop. We sped down the blood river. A jolt and I got dropped off at a cell. I just passed through right away. I started being scared again when I was herded to the blob-like thing that produced ATP-stuff every now and then. They were going to use me, I freaked after I saw oxygens going in and ATP coming out at the same time. There had to be relation. But wait, there was something else that I saw coming out as I was forced in. Then these things reached down and started rearranging me for energy. Everything was going white. This was the end of my life, I screamed until I blacked out…
I… I… I was alive??? Wait, something was unusual. I felt… different. I looked down and… AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! Oh my god! I’m not oxygen anymore. I passed through the cell edge and jumped on a carrier. I asked around. Who am I? Over and over, until someone like me told me the truth. I was now Carbon Dioxide. I was the end product of this thing called Cell uar respectation. We arrived at… the sacs again??? What was happening? I was bumped and shoved as we went in. There were no more oxygens, just Carbon Dioxides. We went back through the tubes. There was a… a shift. As if something large was moving under us, up, and down. I was boosted up in a gust of wind, and rapidly, we went out of the tube, and outside we were, out of the monster. But one problem, I WAS STILL CARBON DIOXIDE. I pleaded for answer from my old group. How to get back, how I can be Oxygen again. I was ignored, for I was different. I floated there and cried, alone again. Until finally, a Dioxide came up to me. He said that he has heard about me asking about how to get back to my normal form. It turned out that he was looking for that answer too! He said long ago, he has heard of something called photo-sinthetic or whatever. It is a place where Dioxides go to turn back to Oxygens. We journeyed for days and days on end. Until finally, 9 days later, I saw a big line of Dioxides at something green. I joined in with my traveling partner. Sloooowly, we got closer. I now saw oxygens coming out at a rapid rate. More and more again. It was our turn, and we passed through the green surface. I traveled through green blood and saw ATP up close. Before what happened to me in the monster happened again. I whited out.
Me. ME ME ME ME ME ME. I was back, reborn into my regular self. I knew my old me, the Dioxide me, was being used for energy still. I was just reborn in a new oxygen molecule. My partner emerged behind me. We cried tears of joy, for we were back.

I remember those days years ago. I learned a new lesson. My new friend and I learned to stay high up, never go low, because those monsters, I learned they were called humans, will suck us in if we go too low. There were a lot of them today, and the same black and white checkered planet was amidst them.