Weaving Miracles | Teen Ink

Weaving Miracles

By Sanibella SILVER, Lake Elmo, Minnesota
Sanibella SILVER, Lake Elmo, Minnesota

"If I'm honest I have to tell you I still read fairytales and I like them best of all."
-Audrey Hepburn

"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind."
-C.S. Lewis

Author's note:

I was inspired by the "two sides to every story", even with how the wolf in the three little pigs story is NOT the bad guy. I hope that you can get out of this story the idea that a villain is just a victim whose story has not been told. 

There is a small hill in the meadows of Delah, which overlooks the still lake water to the east. The citizens of Delah prepared the celebration of the summer equinox, which gathered the entire village in preparation, except for two. On that small hill laid a beautiful young girl and a scruffy looking boy side-by-side. They looked up at the blue sky as clouds floated slowly by, listening to the ruffling of the branches in the wind. She began to softly hum a soft tune and the boy sat up, closing his eyes to listen to her.

“You sing so sweetly, Evangeline.” He told her. “If I did not see you with my own eyes, I should say it was the voice of an angel.”

She blushed and smiled at him with a love in her eyes that made his heart leap. “You should not tell such falsehoods.” The lovely girl warns him.

“I think you are very cruel to have entranced me such. You have such a great hold over me, I can scarcely think of nothing but you. I have relinquished my freedom, it seems. So tell me now how my thinking you are more than human is a falsehood. I do not believe it to be so- therefore it is not.” He asserts. Beside him on the grass sits a woven garland of flowers. He takes it in his hands, and offers it to Evangeline. “I made this to grace your head. Bracelets too. These wildflowers are nothing to compare to your wild eyes, your shining beauty.”

He softly places it on her head and she gently kisses his cheek, softly. Although it is quick he closes his eyes and can still feel the burning heat of where her sweet lips touched. She fixed her raven hair, so dark against her ivory skin. Her blue eyes sparkled brilliantly. “Ramby, tell me, how do I look?” She asks him.

Ramby smiles warmly at her and replies, “Even the lovely fairies turn green with envy when they look upon your beauty.”

“You always say the sweetest things- that’s why I love you so.” She tells him. The pair ran down the hill to join the festivities. A choir sang as musicians played joyous tunes for the town to dance to. The women of each household brought out dishes of food to share with the town. At the center stood a colorful pole with ribbons hanging down, which the children dance around. The men gambled for candied sweets at tables.

At last, night rolls around, covering the sky with streaks of orange and dark hues of blue. They begin to put up golden lanterns about the field and to the side, a giant bonfire roars. Out in the brush, where trees stood tall, a pitch-black expanse into the woods, cried a horse. A group of men on horses suddenly charge out into the open field, circling around the tents, enclosing the party in.

An older gentleman amongst the citizens steps forward, clearing his throat. He says to them, “Go and be off! This is a celebration of life! We shall have none of your misdeeds! You have no place here and we want none of your trouble… Leave- you are unwelcome,” he commands.

A horseman rides up to the elder slowly, and confidently, pulling out his sword and holds its tip below the man’s chin, so that with any sudden movements, the blade might be plunged straight through. With a tilt of his head with an air of superiority, he mocks, “Do you mean to tell me that you are no loyal citizen of the king?”

The old man, a few beads of sweat slowly dripping down his face, replies shakily, “I am loyal to his majesty. I fought in the Great War for his father and my brothers served his father before him. I am as loyal as any man to him. For this, I cannot allow you bandits to snatch away what is property to the king.” He closes his eyes and the horseman swiftly brings up his sword, as if to cut of the old man’s head. But, to the surprise of everyone, calmly puts it away in its sheath.

The horseman chuckles softly to himself and says, “If you had denied your king, I may have had to use this for your treason.” He reaches into his satchel and pulls out the royal insignia- a golden dragon elaborately embroidered onto deep, red silk. “My name is Sir John Marcus. We are the arriving party for the king himself. After a long journey of riding, we need somewhere to rest. The rest of our riding party shall arrive shortly but I require your town’s cooperation. Do I have your support?” He asks the crowd.

There was a quick series of enthusiastic nodding heads. The wives were sent back to their houses to bring more food for the new guests. The men went to the stables and gave the king’s men room for the beasts to rest. The small village half-expected the king to be a glorious knight, young and strong. Word from the capital city said that he was the image of King Arthur reincarnated. Of course, the man of flesh was less impressive than the glorified ruler of old.

He was about 35 years of age with the dark beginnings of a beard around his face. He wore no golden crown and his silver chain mail was crusted with dirt from his ride. Under his armor he wore a green tunic. His brown, leather riding boots covered the ends of his trousers. He descended his horse gracefully with one sweeping movement. A young boy ran to up to the king’s horse and took the reins from him, leading it to the best stable. King William was a strong gentleman of good height and build. He looked like more of a great general, well trained in the art of battle, but he lacked a regal appearance.

The king made sifted his way through the milling crowd of curious citizens- honored by their important guest’s arrival. Evangeline and Ramby ran to join the crowd- both hoping to catch a glimpse of their king. “Oh I can’t see him! Ramby can you? What does he look like?” Evangeline whined.

“I can’t see anything either.” Ramby tells her. “Too many people’s heads are in my way. I could lift you up on my shoulders so you could get a better look?” He suggests.

Without a moment’s hesitation, she climbs up onto his shoulders and throws her dress between her legs so her white pantaloons hang down over Ramby’s chest.  All he can hear is the crowd cheering in wild celebration as Evangeline excitedly squeals, “I SEE HIM! I SEE THE KING! Oh, he’s going into the tent now. Ugh, he’s gone now.” And she climbs down him awkwardly.

“So what did he look like?” asks Ramby as Evangeline begins to walk away, disinterested.

“He was different than I had imagined. I had heard he is like the great king of old, but he looks like a gladiator in physique. He lacks the appearance of royal breeding. Still, he is handsome in some respects… Imagine being his queen. I cannot even fathom the idea of it!”

Ramby chuckles to himself, softly. “Good! I should hate to lose you!” He calls out to her.

She playfully takes a step towards Ramby. “And I should hope you’ll never leave me either. We are two souls entwined. If one was to pull away with great enough force, I’m sure the other would snap and disappear into nothingness!”

Ramby clasps his hands together and brings them to his lips as he stares lovingly at Evangeline. “Please, I beg of you not to tease me. It is beyond a miracle that I could have you for myself. Come… Let us join the celebration.” Evangeline gallops across the grass into the white tent as Ramby slowly follows.

The king scanned the room when suddenly Evangeline bursts in through the entrance. Out of every lovely girl in the room, he could help but fixate on her. He clears his throat. “Excuse me, gentleman. Your conversation is most compelling, but I…” He smiles looking at Evangeline once more. “I should like to add another to our dining party...” He makes his way slowly across the room, not taking his eyes off her from a moment.

Evangeline saw the king approaching, but did not dare to guess it was because of her. She stepped aside to let him pass, dipping into a low curtsy. “Rise, dear girl.” He says to her.

Her eyes widen with shock. She swallows and then bats her eyes. “Yes, your highness?” She asks meekly. “What may I do for you?” Ramby comes up beside her at last and falls to the ground on his backside when he sees the king. No words came to his mouth, to shocked to say anything.

The king grins widely at her. “Well I should like to know your name.” He inquires.

“Evangeline,” she whispers.

“That is a lovely name- fitting for an even lovelier girl. Would you grace my party with your presence tonight. I should very much like your company.” The king looks deep into her eyes, silently willing her to accept. Evangeline stands there for a moment, dumbfounded at his request. She blinks her eyes repeatedly and shakes her head yes with a giant grin on her face.

The king took her hand in his and led her to the banquet table at the head of the room. He pulled out a chair for her in the center and sat right next to her. Plates of goose, duck, and pig were brought forth- freshly roasted to a golden brown on the spit. As the evening passed, Evangeline grew ever more bold in her flirtations with the king. She softly stroked his hands, staring deep into his dark brown eyes. He leaned over, fondling a few strands of hair between his fingers and whispered how beautiful she was. His hot breath tingled on the nape of her neck and he kissed her hand.

Oh, if she could only see the pain on her friend’s face as he sat through that night watching from afar. What could he do? He was no king, he had no title. In regards to fortune the son of a tanner was a person of no consequence. But Evangeline was everything to him, and she had made him believe she felt the same. What was he to kings and princes?

The banquet went on till twilight, as the band of horsemen began to pack up their gear for a ride back to the palace. Evangeline snuck out with the king through the back of the tent and ran hand in hand with him to the stables. Only a dimly flickering flame was witness. “You told me I was the loveliest creature you had ever beheld. Asked what hope you had to gain my love… I could be yours, forever, if you make me your bride.” She proposed.

The king was slightly taken aback. He chuckled and started to fix on his ornamented saddle to his horse. “Yes, you are lovely, but you are not the only beauty in this world. My father before me was no king- it is a title I have secured through blood. Men have died for this cause.” He looked her dead in the eyes. “Are you some princess who can offer me new resources to secure my rule? No.

“I asked for your love, that much is true- but only to occupy an hour of my time. You expect me to make you queen? It is an honor enough for a lady to be ‘sampled’ by her king- ladies at court plead for your position. But Queen? You offer me no advantage.” He pulled the strap below the horse tight, fastening the buckle and prepared to mount the steed.

In a moment of panic, she blurted, “I can give you gold!” He turned his head in mild interest. “You have very little money left after your war to secure the throne, then winning over the people with distribution of food. ‘Panem et Circenses’, correct?
Stumbling for an explanation to her outburst, Evangeline hastily looked about her and saw the hay surrounding her. An idea, a marvelously dangerous idea popped into her head. “I was given a gift when I was a babe. A gift of magic. I can spin hay into gold- making you the richest man alive. I have kept it to myself because witches are persecuted, but with you, I might be safe. Make me your queen and you shall have gold and beautiful heirs to inherit your throne. What other princess can offer you that?”

It would be impossible to say that the king was not the least bit intrigued. He mounted his horse at last and made her a deal. She was to come to the palace tomorrow at dawn, where her skills would be put to the test. He would make her queen if she could do what she said. If she lied though, a great punishment would await her. Evangeline smiled tightly, but it did not meet her eyes. She agreed and the king rode off with great speed into the forest and she watched him disappear, listening as the sound of hooves vanished.

Evangeline then sought Ramby’s help- as she often did. She found him by the lake, his feet wading in the water and he sat on the bank. “I’m sorry I didn’t spend time with you during the banquet, my dearest friend,” she cooed. “How much I wish it was you, instead of that brutish oaf of a king!”

He grinned at her as if he had never noticed any harm done. “Do not think of it, it is all but forgotten.”

She kisses his blushing cheeks. “Thank you… These next words will be hard enough to say, so please do not interrupt me… The king wants me to do the impossible- spin stacks of hay into gold. I need your help, Ramby.”

He looks out to the lake, dumbfounded. “I don’t know if there is anything to do. What brought this ridiculous request?”

“A drunken stupor I suppose… It is a well-known fact he needs money but I can’t make out the reasoning behind it…” She grew anxious quickly and eager to change the topic, said “but nevermind that! Will you help me? You always help me, and now you are the only one.”

Ramby chuckled nervously, wringing his hands over and over. “I don’t know how you think I could get out of this predicament, Eve. I’m sorry but what can I do?”

“Use your magic.” And there it was, out it the open. Those three words hung heavy before them like a fog and could not be erased. She pointed to a bush of roses which stood alone and out of place by the lake. “When we were young, you made that appear from thin air. I told you I had never seen a rose, but how my mother said they were so very beautiful. See, I remember that day. Your mother pulled you away and I didn’t see you for nearly a month! She said you had a fever and I had to stay far away. You were different after that, more guarded… Help me… please.”
“It is a figment of your imagination- I assure you.” He scoffs. “Me? Do magic? If I could, why have I not made myself rich beyond compare? Why live in this poor farming village? You make yourself believe these stories which you’ve dreamt up. You cannot expect me to uphold them when they are fictitious!” He swung his wet feet out of the water and picked up his leather shoes. Ramby did not even try to put them on, but instead started to walk up the hill barefoot, grass clinging to his soles.

“He’ll have my head!” She shouts in desperation. Tears well up those lovely eyes and her lip gives a slight quiver. Ramby stopped in his tracks, but did not look back behind him. “The king will kill me if I fail. He told me this himself. I’m so scared. I suppose this is our last goodbye, my dearest friend… Before my soul leaves this earthly vessel, I want you to know that you are the only man I could ever truly love.”

Pain and joy struck through his heart at once. Had she said it? Yes. But at such a price. Once again, Ramby would give her everything she asked, just because she smiled. He turned around and sat beside fair Evangeline and hugged her tight. This hug though was not of overwhelming joy from a proclamation of love. It was of silent fear, like how a child embraces their mother during a great storm.

The next morning, Evangeline was greeted by King William himself, standing tall- a challenge in his eyes. He led her past great corridors and dining halls with hanging chandeliers. He walked with a great stride and Evangeline always had a great struggle keeping his pace. At last he swung open a white wooden door at the end of the hall. It was a great master bedroom, fit for prominent gentility in size, but empty of furnishings. In its place were mountains of hay stacked up to the ceiling and a single spinning wheel in the corner. By a bright window overlooking the grassy hills sat a table with bread and fruit, a silver chalice and a basin of fresh drinking water.

“Sit down and you may start your work. Your food for today is over there by the window. I shall lock the door behind you and there is a toilet room connecting to this room to your right, which is secluded from any other room. You shall have no contact with any other persons till first light tomorrow. If your work is not completed by then, may God have mercy on you.” Without letting Evangeline say a word, he escaped out of the doorway, latching the door behind him.

There she sat looking up at the mountain of hay and thought of her predicament. She wept and blubbered for an hour on her spinning wheel seat. Evangeline then solemnly walked across the room and poured herself a glass of water. In the cup’s reflection she saw her lovely face. She imagined how beautiful a queen she would make…  How she could make Cleopatra and Juno, beauteous queens themselves, envious. She shouted to the rooftop, ‘Hail, Queen Evangeline!’ and a thrill ran down her spine.

TAP! TAP! TAP! clacked the window pane. Below was no one else but Ramby, smiling like a schoolboy on the first day of summer. Evangeline whispered, “I have no rope for you to climb. Fetch the tallest ladder you can find.”

He laughed in disbelief. “Eve, no ladder will stretch three stories tall... I have an idea, though.” Ramby closed his eyes and waved his hands in a circular motion. Suddenly, thick vines of ivy began to sprout and cling to the castle wall. She watched in amazement as they  magically climbed and interwove with speed. When he finished, he began to climb up the wall and stumbled through the window as Evangeline pulled him through.

She told him of how the great task assigned was to be completed by first light. He paced the room for a moment and then placed his hands on the spinning wheel. A golden warmth seemed to seep out of his hands and pulse through the simple, wooden spinning wheel. “There, it is done,” Ramby told her. “I’ll stay with you to help weave this monstrosity but promise me, when you finish this work for King William, you will marry me. I will be a true husband and love you greater than any man has ever loved a woman.”

“I promise.” She whispered, smiling tightly.

They worked for several hours straight and Ramby let Evangeline sit and rest for a while after she hurt herself on the spinning wheel. Still, there he sat, dutifully weaving coarse hay into a string of gold. Ramby whistled a tune his mother used to sing as a lullaby and peddled on through till dawn, where at last, all the work was done. He kissed Evangeline’s forehead and escaped down the window.

Soon, the king burst in the room, only to find a room shimmering in gold with a beautiful raven haired girl asleep on the floor. He knelt down beside her and gently shook her awake. Her eyes fluttered open, moaning, “What is it?”

The king chuckled heartily. “My dear child, you have managed the impossible. Still, a princess comes with a larger dowry than this room of gold… If you wish to be my bride, then you must spin this wheel of gold again. I shall have another, larger room filled with hay and by dawn tomorrow, you must have it completed.”

This next time, he cleared out a small dining hall which was set aside for a few of the servants. Once again, Ramby snuck in through the palace gates and found Evangeline weeping by her spinning wheel. “What is it, my love? Why do you not come outside to ride back to Delah?”

Evangeline embraced Ramby tightly and said, “I must spin this room of hay into gold before first light once more, or the king will have my head! I am so tired and sore, I cannot do this all.”

Ramby took Evangeline’s hands in his and whispered, we shall do it together. Promise that you will always be faithful when we’re married and I shall give you the world. Evangeline quickly shook her head ‘yes’ and kissed his scratched hands from the night of weaving. So there they worked, or I should say, Ramby worked throughout the evening. He whistled that quaint lullaby his mother sang so long ago and dutifully worked the pedal.

The next morning, Ramby had left to wait by the horses and the king had found Evangeline sleeping beside piles of shimmering gold. “My girl, you are a miracle worker!” He shouted, jolting her awake. Oh, but the king was greedy. As he stared at his mountains of gold, he only wanted more. So he said, “I shall marry you straight away if you can do this one more time for me. Then you shall be my queen.”

Evangeline closed her eyes, pretending to carefully consider her options, making the king begin to sweat. She smiled and purred, “make me your queen, and we have a deal.”

The king set her up in the largest apartment room in the castle, aside from his own chambers. She sat down in her spinning wheel and began to reluctantly spin, waiting for Ramby to arrive. There she spun for three hours before there was a tapping of pebbles at the window. She swung open the window and up climbed Ramby on his magical ladder of ivy.

“I have spun one third of this hay, but it takes so long with no one to help me. Where were you?” She asked him.

“I have spun your gold for two days. Truth be told, I had fallen asleep. I can do it now, on the promise that one day, we might have a family. I see a son in our future with your eyes. Promise me this?” He asked, to which she agreed.

Within these past few days, news of the magic girl who could spin hay into gold had spread across the castle corridors. One should be careful about what they say out loud when they never know who’s listening. In this case, Alice Bell, a lowly chamber maid, was keenly listening, peering through the crack in the doorway. As Evangeline turned, she caught the smallest glimpse of an eye watching them and immediately she ran for the door. Ramby climbed down the window, grabbed his horse and rode as fast as he could back to Delah. Evangeline bolted down the corridor chasing after Alice and at last both were stopped by nearly running into King William.

“What are you doing out of your room?!” He bellowed.

Evangeline stood there for a moment, lost for words and excuses. Deciding she had to say something she began, “I told you I was given a gift of magic… Well, when I was a babe, a devilish spirit has given me this gift, but said that for such a gift, which I never even asked for, I might have to pay. I assumed always he meant riches, but no, it is far worse. He predicts a healthy son for us… But he wants our first child for himself! He hides in the forms of young boys and only I can see his true form.

“This young, brave girl… What was your name?” She asked the chamber maid.

“Alice.” She replied meekly.

“Ah, yes… brave Alice saved us all from this peril.” Evangeline raved.

Alice’s eyes went as big as saucers. “I… I did?” she asked, shocked.

“Yes. This creature can only be killed if you say his name and while passing by, she heard him whistle and sing a little lullaby with his name in it.

Over the misty mountains,
Across the lakes of blue,
Carried by the wind,
It whispers my name to you.

Hey nonny nonny!
How do you do?
The name’s Rumpelstiltskin,
How about you?

We came straight away to tell you and we can take care of the devil and live happily ever after.” Evangeline explains. She remembered how she couldn’t say his name as a child, so ‘Ramby’ could only suffice as a nickname for her young friend.

It is important to note that Evangeline could tell a fairly convincing lie when she wanted to, and this was no exception. She decided that by praising the chamber maid in front of the king, Alice would not take back the lie told. Now, they were in it together. The king gathered up a group of six men, including his man, Sir John Marcus. Together they rode off to Delah once more in search of the devil creature ‘Rumpelstiltskin’.

When all the men had been rounded up, Evangeline quickly cleared all of them, saying perhaps the devil had simply gone dormant. When all the others had mounted their horses once again to return after an unsuccessful crusade, John Marcus shouted that he had found another boy. They rode down the hill, and to Evangeline’s despair, sat Ramby.

Two knights yanked him off the ground, restraining his arms tight. “Yes, this is him.” Evangeline announced. “So I must only say his name and the innocent boy shall be free, as shall all others.”

Ramby squinted at her, tilting his head to the side. “Eve, what’s going on? What did you do?”

Evangeline ignored him and proclaimed, “I name you… RUMPELSTILTSKIN!” And she faked a jolt back. “The demon inside has been destroyed. All is well… Now let us return to the castle,” she suggested.

“One more thing, though.” With a nod of the king’s head, Sir John Marcus drew his sword from his sheath and ran it through Ramby’s stomach.

For a moment Evangeline stood there in wide-eyed disbelief then gave a deafening screech. The townspeople of Delah came running down the hill, only to see Ramby hunched over on the knight’s sword, coughing up blood onto the dewy morning grass. Then Sir John thrust Ramby off his blade and into the lake. As his body slowly submerged beneath the placid lake, his eyes rolled back to the whites of his eyes, then he was gone.

“Why did you do that?!?” Evangeline screamed. “The devil inside was gone! I told you this!”

The king looks at her with an indifferent expression. “I will not take any chances with the life of my son,” and that was all that was said.

His mother screamed and screeched his name. “Rumpel! My child! That’s my boy! He is just a BOY! Murderer! You all are murderers!” She cried. Throughout the years, Evangeline never forgot the sound of her voice that day as she mourned the death of her son. She’d die within the year, telling all those she knew the pain of burying one’s own child.

As promised, King William married Evangeline and made her his lovely queen. She had her portrait painted by the finest artists in the world and the king never ran out of wealth from his enchanted spinning wheel. The couple would go on to have twelve children, six boys and six girls, whom they’d tell the story of the devilish Rumpelstiltskin.

At last, the day came when Evangeline fell ill at the age of 63 with a mysterious fever and on her deathbed the king came to visit her one last time. “My dear wife, you have given me riches, heirs, and a good life. That is all any man can ask for, so thank you.” And he kissed her head and left without another word.

Then, out from the shadows appeared a handsome stranger, dressed in a fine suit with a red coat. His dark hair and sly smile seemed so familiar, but she did not know who. “Excuse me, young sir, tell me your name?”

He scoffed. “Eve, you’ve forgotten me already? So soon?” He asked.

She blinked her eyes again, rubbing them clear and asked, “Ramby?”

“Yes. I’ve come to say goodbye. Which is more than you deserve…” He said. “Oh, but I suppose you didn’t recognize me because of my clothes? I should hope it’s not because you forever put me out of your head… You promised to love me forever.”

“I have NEVER gone a day without thinking about you!” She cried.

An anger ignites inside of him. “Ha! How dare you say that when you married him! What? Did he forget you?” Evangeline averts her eyes from Ramby, but he only walks closer, forcing her to look at him. “He’s with her right now! Not the same ‘her’, obviously. Never could make the commitment of JUST ONE girl, could he? Once that beauty of yours went, he was onto the next one? Yeah… Maybe even before that…”

“Stop it! Stop saying these things!” She yelled.

He smirked and said, “No. You know you killed me, right?”

Evangeline gasped. “I didn’t! It was Sir John, who is burning in Hell right now!”

Ramby picked up her cane and began to twirl it in his hands, between his fingers. “Well, he might’ve driven the sword through, that’s true. But was Judas not the ultimate betrayer? The Romans killed Jesus, sure, but they would not have found him if not for Judas. Judas, who kisses Jesus, begging for forgiveness, as you do now! You killed me, blaming a LIE on me, only to advance your own place. You are a vain creature- ugly inside and out! You made me believe that you loved me!”

“I’m sorry!” She cried. “I pray that you be at peace!”

“No. There is no peace for me! I want to hear you say it! I want to hear you mean it!” He yells back at her.

“I’m sorry!” She screeches. “I loved you and I have paid every day of my miserable life! I’m sorry!”

“Well I do not love you. You are alone and unloved…” he hissed. “Goodbye Evangeline.” With a twirl of the cane he swung it around and walked out the door, not looking behind again.

“I’m SORRY! Forgive me! Did you hear that?! I said FORGIVE ME!!!” Evangeline screamed hysterically. Then, two attending maids ran into the room and started to mop the queen’s brow with a cloth of cold water.

“Who are you talking to, your highness? No one is there,” one says.

She turns white like death and looks deep into her eyes, stricken with a crazed fear. “HE left. HE LEFT! He needs to forgive me! He needs to forgive me…” She whispered. And with a final sigh, she lies back down on the pillow- her eyes open, watching the door.