The Spark of a Leader | Teen Ink

The Spark of a Leader

By Joshuarob, Driggs, Idaho
Joshuarob, Driggs, Idaho

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
-J. R. R. Tolkien

Chapter 1

Dallin crept along a wall cloaked with a Concealment. Of course, it wasn’t his true ability. He had always had a talent with lightning, so he wasn’t the best for sneaking around. The temporary stripe the Spark had left on his palm allowed his invisibility to be possible. It would wear off soon, but he might enjoy it while it lasted. It wasn’t often that he could get out into the city alone. He saw the movement of a shadow at the end of the filthy alleyway he was currently sneaking through. He groped for one of his spheres and prepared to smash it against the ground as he sprinted toward the figure.
The Sparks were simple magic to use. After the sphere shattered, the energy inside could be used for different purposes depending on the Spark’s type. When the spell was completed, often a temporary stripe was placed on the person’s arm, some lasting longer than others depending on the power of the spell that had been cast. Dallin had marks that had lasted since when he first discovered his ability as a lightning maker and Spark trigger.
The shadow he was chasing was standing still. Well of course, they can’t see me.
The figure in front of him raised his hand and tossed a sphere into the air. The pale gray glow emanating from the Spark told Dallin that it was a revealer. The orb shattered on the ground in front of him. The chunks of transparent crystal melted away into smoke and the gray mist in the Spark drifted toward Dallin.
The mark on his hand began to fade as the Revealer’s magic touched him.
“I see you,” said a female voice emanating from the figure at the end of the alley, “You can give up your act. You cannot hide.”
Suddenly, Dallin heard the soft tread of footsteps behind him. Dallin spun and saw another dark figure rushing toward him, flames trailing from their hand.
A Fire Maker! He though as he focused on the lightning energy contained in his body and let out an arc of lightning. At the exact same moment, the silhouette jumped to the side and flung a stream of fire at Dallin. It splashed down short of its mark but still close enough to singe its target’s eyebrows.
This was getting too risky. Dallin reached into his satchel and found his only Gravity Spark. He threw and activated its energy and flung himself toward the wall to his left, where the ball had landed. He managed to jump sideways as he plummeted to the wall as the next symbol was put onto his arm. He sprinted up the wall and disengaged the spell with a neutralizer Spark. He gripped the top of the building with his fingertips and then pulled himself up, wiping the sweat from his brow and running his hand through his dark brown hair, pulling up his hood to do so, letting the night air wash over his face.
When he was sure he was no longer in danger, he took off across the rooftops, his cloak rippling in the night wind.
When he got back to his barrack, he walked in and collapsed on his cot.
Dallin had been in the royal army for years, even though he was only twenty-one. When he was sixteen, his parents had wanted him to be apprenticed to a blacksmith in the industrial section of the city of Diasa, but he had always had a mind for strategy. So when his parents sent him off, he had made his way down to the recruiting office and signed up to fight in the war against the Ciceans. His lightning ability made him able to jump ranks faster than most men and he became what he set out to be, a middle-ranking officer in Lord Aeseri’s army.
Now he was on his last month here. After that, he would most likely find a nice home in Diasa and start a new life there. It sounded dreadfully boring.
“Hey Dallin, is that you,” said a baritone voice, making Dallin jump.
“Yes Simon, it’s me,” he replied.
“Where were you?” he asked with a quizzical tone.
“Checking on the men,” Dallin lied. “I noticed that Jerson’s foot twisted today during the drills, and thought that I might take him to a surgeon.
“I thought you did that earlier today,” Simon said skeptically.
“I did but…”
“Have you been sneaking out again?” Simon asked.
“No I…”
“You know I can’t defend you much longer. I’ve already risked my position for you several times.”
“I know but…”
Suddenly there was an explosion outside, the shouts and screams of men waking the whole camp.
“That was the armory,” Dallin said with tension in his voice.
They both rushed out to help those men who had been on guard. The armory was burned almost to the ground by the time they had put out the fire in the armory, but the surrounding buildings were still ablaze, Simon was a Water Maker and did much of the work. He almost passed out a couple times when he over exerted himself.
“We’re almost done,” Dallin assured him.
When they had finished with the armory, Simon sat down alongside the nearest barrack, blonde hair drenched with sweat.
“Did we do it?” he asked in a fatigued voice.
“Yes, we did it,” replied Dallin, kneeling by his friend.
Suddenly, two streams of flame hit next to Dallin, right where Simon was sitting. His scream was brief. Dallin quickly jumped to his feet and shot twin bolts of lightning into the dark where the flames had originated. He then took out one of his Sparks and crept to the place he had hit. His lightning had left a patch of scorched earth next to barrack eleven. The corpse he had expected was not there. Unless they had a Static Spark or Shield Spark, there was simply no way anyone could have survived that hit. Dallin had used that attack in battle before even against warriors with more skill and experience and only two had ever walked away from it. It was clear that this was the same Fire Maker who had attacked him in the alleyway. Dallin then remembered poor Simon. He rushed back to check on him. Sure enough, he was dead. Much of his flesh had been charred off. Dallin would get to the bottom of this. But now was a time for mourning. Dallin wept.

Chapter 2

Dallin had been in Diasa for two months now and had gotten relatively used to the city. Some things were very different though. Styles had changed during his time in the army. The women seemed to wear less fabric around the neck and arms, and the men seemed to prefer waistcoats and jackets with a cloak.
Though Diasa had been his home in his youth, it felt unfamiliar. His days in the military had left his temperament stiff and inexorable.
His payment from the army had been quite handsome; in fact it was almost too much. Fifty thousand gold Enane’s was enough to buy a nice house as well as servants and enough to spare to start several businesses. But life was lacking zest. After the razing of the armory, almost all activity had stopped in the camp until Dallin was about to leave. Now he was stuck in the city, managing several businesses, living a life of luxury, and being bored to death. Just then, his lean, auburn haired housekeeper, Katie, walked in with the mail. As usual, it was mostly checks and bills, along with the daily paper. Dallin picked up the paper and began to read.

Third Kidnapping and Spark Theft This Month,
Police are Baffled

At midnight on Wednesday this week, the home of Edmond and Charlotte Atkinson was ransacked and their daughter, Sabrina, was taken. Along with Sabrina, a good many Sparks were also taken.
“I’ve always collected Sparks and never used them,” says Edmond, “My only concern is for my daughter.”
Earlier this month, the son of Nathaniel and Isabella Burr, and the daughter of Stephen and Ashley Hales were also kidnapped. All three youth taken were sixteen years of age. If there is any information regarding the arrest of the kidnappers or the finding of these children, go to the police station, on Oak Rd.

For pictures of the captives go to page A12

Dallin set down the paper and looked toward the ornate silver bell on his desk and rung it.
“Yes Mr. Martin?” Katie asked stepping through the door into his study.
“Are there any more papers on these kidnappings?” he asked.
“Yes of course,” She replied.
“Would you get me a copy of each?” he inquired.
“Why sure,” she said and winked as she walked through the door.
Dallin sighed; it was difficult to judge women these days, particularly the attractive ones.
He stood up and stretched. Those bills may not do themselves, but he was going to go on a walk. He went to the closet in the hall and took hold of his jacket and hat, then stepped out the door. The cool autumn air nipped at his skin as he walked down the street side. The trees planted along the road were in their brightest colors. The reds, oranges, and gold’s blazing on the foliage along the avenue made the air seem warmer than it really was. As he was making his way downtown, he came across the alleyway he had been in all those months ago. The long dark passage held an evil atmosphere as he remembered that night. The memory of Simon was still fresh in his memory. He had lost friends in battle before, but he and Simon had defended each other at every moment.
Dallin lost interest in his stroll through the city and prepared his mind to go back into the alleyway. It was still dark in there, just as last time. He reached into the satchel he had carried ever since that night and pulled out a Glow Spark. When he threw it into the alley and focused on the mists it let out, the entire opening was lit in an even white glow. As he strolled down the alley, he glimpsed nothing out of the ordinary. It seemed like any alley that could be found in Diasa.
He continued his walk down the now lighted passage. When he came to the end, there was nothing but a brick wall. His scalp prickled as he felt the gaze of something’s eyes sweep over him. He spun around and shot a bolt of lightning at the nearest pile of rubbish. The cat sitting behind it let out a wail and keeled over dead.
I’m getting too paranoid. I’ve got to do something about this. He thought to himself as he walked out of the alley.
When he got home, he found Katie waiting for him. With the papers he asked for.
“Just set them on the desk in my study,” he asked her as she opened her mouth to speak.
“But sir…”
“Don’t bother me right now with the basics, just do it.”
“But sir,” She said, her brow furrowing with frustration, “You have just received an invitation to the Kaufman Family Ball,” she said, holding up a cream colored envelope with a gold embossed family coat of arms on the back.
“Oh,” said Dallin sheepishly as he took the card from her fingers as well as the broadsheets she had been carrying and went up the stairs to his study to scrutinize the reports of the frequent kidnappings.
The reports seemed all the same. All three happened at midnight, all three had youths kidnapped, and all three had Sparks stolen.
Nothing seemed to point to anything, but then Dallin stumbled over an article of the finding of new, rare Sparks that possessed remarkable abilities. One thing that seemed to ring with Dallin was that these Sparks were found by various people, including the Atkinson family, the Burr family, and the Hales family, along with a long list of other names.
Hmm, I wonder. Dallin thought to himself as he walked to the large opulent bookcase on the other side of his desk. He looked at the titles of the books until he found the one he wanted. The Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Sparks: A Guide for the Avid Collector or Combatant.
Dallin flipped through the large goliath of a book until he found what he was looking for.

Sparks come in a variety of different sizes and colors. Some say that no two of the spheres are alike, but quite on the contrary, some Sparks can look very similar to others. Take the simple Glow Spark and the Static Spark for example. They both have a bright golden glow, but do different tasks. If they are both looked at closely enough, they have a slightly different size. So it could be said that no two types of Sparks are alike, but it is clear that some Sparks are quite close to being the same.

Dallin flicked through the sizeable manuscript again until he came to the next page he was looking for.

There are over six hundred classified varieties of Sparks in the world but it is estimated that there could be up to five hundred undiscovered types of Sparks in the world.
Sparks can only be found in certain places, usually a secluded environment. When a Spark’s magic is used, it reforms in another place. Usually, Sparks reform where they were originally found unless there is a strong emotional bond, such as hope, formed when a person uses it before they die. Then the Spark will appear there until the next emotional band keeps it in place.
The number of undiscovered is rapidly growing less as treasure hunters go out in search of these rare specimens.

Dallin closed the book and placed it back on the shelf. Ever since he discovered his ability to use Sparks, he had been obsessed with them. He had gone out when he was very young to find even the most common Sparks. He could empathize with someone who would want to steal a rare Spark, but what of the kidnappings. Those did not make sense at all. Why not just take the Spark and get out of there.
He did not want to take another stroll out in the city, but he needed information. His militaristic instincts told him that the men who killed Simon were also responsible for these thefts. He would get to the bottom of this, even if it was the last thing he would ever do. He went downtown to find a one Edmond Atkinson. He might have answers to Dallin’s questions. One problem was evident though; he didn’t know where to find him, so he went down to the publisher of the newspaper that had printed the article about the kidnappings and thefts.
After a quarrel on the reasons why Dallin needed to know the address of Mr. Atkinson, they finally gave it to him.
On his way to Edmond Atkinson’s residence, he stopped at a nearby inn to borrow a horse.
The Atkinson’s house was on the other side of the city, a good two hours ride if traveling by horse on narrow city streets.
When he arrived, it was well past five o’ clock. When he appeared in front of the Atkinson home, he beheld a large baroque mansion. When he rapped on the large rococo knocker, a middle aged solemn faced butler opened the door to him.
“Do you have an appointment?” he said in a condescending tone.
“Of sorts. Does Mr. Atkinson have any spare time on his hands?”
“What do you mean, of sorts?”
“It’s about the kidnapping of his daughter, Sabrina,” said Dallin, countering the butler’s question.
“Come in,” the butler conceded.
The inside of the mansion was considerably less opulent than the outside would suggest. Much of the empty wall space likely once held vast paintings or collections. The floor could have held a hundred guest, but was only occupied by a small task force of servants.
“Where is everything?” Dallin asked himself
“It has all gone out for sale,” replied the butler, interrupting Dallin’s musings, “Master Atkinson has put many of his worldly possessions on sale for money to find his daughter.”
They took the staircase that went up to the second level of the house and on the second floor, Dallin found himself staring at a portrait of the Atkinson family. Mr. Atkinson was a thin, light brown haired man with piercing blue eyes framed by round glasses, a perpetually confident look pasted on his face. Mrs. Atkinson was short and lean with long black hair spilling over her shoulders, brown eyes having a look of tenderness on her face. Their daughter, Sabrina, had her father’s face and hair with her mother’s eyes. She had a slightly taller build than her father. Dallin would remember this picture. He would need to in order to find Sabrina.
“The Master is ready to see you,” said the butler.
Dallin stepped into the study of Edmond Atkinson

Chapter 3

“Please, take a seat,” said Mr. Atkinson with a deep baritone intonation, motioning to the red velvet chair in front of the desk.”
“Thank you,”
“Nicholas tells me you might know something about my daughter.” Edmond said with tired, bloodshot eyes, “Is this true?”
“Not completely,” Dallin said, not completely answering the question, “I am a former officer in the royal army. I was one of the main strategists in many of the battles we were in.”
“And how is this supposed to help my daughter?”
“I believe that I can find your daughter and the other captives,” countered Dallin, “If I may have your permission, might I be able to help in the search for your child.”
“I doubt you could, I have some of the best working for me. What makes you think that you can do better?”
“I have experience and intuition.”
“So do my people,” snorted Mr. Atkinson.
“How many of your men have Abilities?”
“Three,” replied the man.
“And how many Triggers do you have?”
“Three, they’re the same people.”
Dallin was running out of room to maneuver. If this kept up, he would have to resort to a different approach.
“I will make a deal with you,” said Dallin, “I will work for nothing unless we find your child. If my intuition doesn’t lead me astray, even if we find your daughter you won’t have to pay me.”
Mr. Atkinson stared thoughtfully at a spot above Dallin’s head.
“What are these abilities you hint that you have? I would like to see the full package before I take it.”
“I’m a Lightning Maker,” Dallin said letting electricity arc between his fingers, “I am also a Spark Trigger,” he said pulling a random Spark out of the satchel.
“All right, you’ve convinced me. But now you will have to meet your fellow collaborators. At nine in the evening tomorrow perhaps.”
“It will work,” replied Dallin.
“Then that’s settled,” I will see you tomorrow then.

The next day at the prearranged time, Dallin found himself standing in front of the lofty Atkinson Manor. Dallin wasn’t usually nervous when meeting new individuals, but he was shaking when he approached the doorstep.
“Ah, Master Martin, Master Atkinson is expecting you,” said the same somber faced butler he had met the day before.
“Will I be meeting in his study again,” Dallin asked the butler.
“Not today. You shall be meeting in the dining room. Right this way,” sighed the butler as he began walking to one of the white doors on the side of the sizable room.
“In the next room over sat a large table with a long row of chairs along either side of it. At this table, sat Edmond Atkinson, along with three unfamiliar faces. All three people were shorter than him, but not by much. The only male figure there was by far the shortest. He seemed to have a perpetual smile plastered to his face. The nearest of the two females was a coffee eyed brunette with a confident face. The other female was a blue-eyed blonde with a smirk on her countenance.
“Ah, our last guest. Take a seat right next to Cirque here,” jabbered Mr. Atkinson, “As you all know, you four will now be working together. So let us get acquainted with each other. First we have Cirque Gammelin,” he said motioning the man next to Dallin, “Then we have Rebekah Bernal,” he said motioning to the Brunette, “And last but not least, we have Saphronia Fullmer,” he said waving toward the blonde.
“Then who is the least?” wisecracked Rebekah.
“I vote Cirque,” replied Saphronia with her grin getting wider.
Cirque giggled into his palm and then asked, “So Edmond, you dragged us back out here, to meet someone, but you never introduced him to us.”
“I didn’t? Forgive me. This is Dallin Martin, the latest addition to your rescue team.
“Nice to meet you,” said Saphronia, reaching across the table to shake his hand.
“Alfred, tell the cook to prepare something for our guests,” said Mr. Atkinson calling to the butler. “Now in order for function as a proper team, you will need to know about each other.
“Okay, so what are your abilities,” asked Dallin.
“I am an Earth Breaker, Rebekah is a Fire Maker, and Saphronia is an Ice Creator.
Fire Maker huh, I wonder if…
“So what do you do Dallin?” Rebekah asked curiously.
“I’m a Lightning Maker,” replied Dallin, “I take it you’re all also Triggers?”
“Yes,” responded Saphronia.
“So what are all your specialties as far as this assignment goes?”
“I’m a private detective. I solved the Lemieux case back a few years ago,” answered Cirque.
“I am a former pickpocket,” said Rebekah.
“And I’m a ex-spy for the royal family,” finished Saphronia.
“And you are…?” said Rebekah in that same curious timbre.
“An ex-official in the royal army,” retorted Dallin.
Just then, the food arrived. Steaming platters piled high with food were brought in for each of the five people in the room, including Mr. Atkinson. Dinner was a medium rare, impeccably seasoned steak with mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables on the side. When they had finished, a dessert of chilled fruit was brought in. Dallin noticed that Rebekah did not touch the meat. Though vegetarians were not uncommon, in Diasa and in other cities, he still found it strange to find someone who could not stomach meat.
After their bellies were sufficiently stretched and the last drop of gravy had been consumed, they finally continued with their conversation.
“So, what have you found that makes you think you can join us?” asked Cirque with an inquisitive tone.
“Intuition and an idea,” said Dallin, trying to dodge the question, “and why are you doing this.”
“We all know the importance of Sparks,” said Saphronia, “and the crime of someone kidnapping someone else just sets me on the edge.”
“I concur with Saphronia,” agreed Rebekah, “and I think I also speak for Cirque.”
“Right you do,” said Cirque confirming Rebekah’s statement.
“I know that I used to steal from other people, but stealing other people is just plain wrong. I’m not saying that what I used to do was right, but stealing someone is almost the equivalent of stealing someone’s heart right out of their chest.”
“Rebekah, you voiced it perfectly,” said Cirque reverently, “and I think we all agree to that, in particular our gracious employer, Mr. Atkinson.
“Mr. Gammelin, I raise my glass to you,” replied Mr. Atkinson, “Now, I think it is now time for bed. Alfred will show each one of you to a guest room for tonight. They are well furnished and extra clothes will be provided for each of you tomorrow.
“Really sir, my horse is just out front, I can ride home,” dodged Dallin.
“Nonsense, you must spend the night here tonight. I would consider it an insult to my hospitality if you didn’t stay tonight.
Who could argue to that? Dallin let himself be led to a guest room along with the other people he would have to work with.

Chapter 4

Dallin awoke before the sun rose of the hills surrounding the city. He got up and splashed cold water on his face from the basin to the side of his to wake himself up. The clothes that had been promised were sitting at the foot of his bed. The dark gray, button up shirt and black trousers went well with his white skin, brown hair and dark eyes.
He heard a knock on the door and saw Saphronia pop her head into the room.
“Oh good, you’re up. We’re all waiting in the dining room.”
He hurried to the dining room and saw everyone looking expectantly towards the door. As he walked toward his spot at the table, he noticed the paper on the table.
“What’s the paper,” he asked tiredly.
“It’s an invitation to the Kaufman Family Ball. In order to find out as much information as possible, we must go to as many sources as we can. This ball might be a good chance to get the facts,” answered Rebekah.
“I got one of these yesterday,” said Dallin, “but when is it?”
“Tomorrow night at nine,” replied Cirque, “Can you be there?”
“Yes, what do I need?”
“An open mind, an receptive eye, and a solid memory,” answered Rebekah.
“Don’t get distracted, you are saying?”
“Yes,” confirmed Saphronia.

Dallin arrive thirty minutes early with a notepad and pencil in his jacket pocket of his nicest dinner suit. As he walked up the steps to the Kaufman Manor House, he noticed that the other three were already at the top waiting for him.
“Early, I see,” Dallin, observed.
“Yes, now let’s get inside before we freeze to death out here,” said Rebekah said, hugging her sides, clad in a flowing dress with a medium height neckline.
They walked into the spacious area that served as the ballroom. The lavish interior was adorned with red velvet upholstery and pastel silk drapery.
Servants were busying themselves with refreshments and decorations, while the musicians prepared their instruments for a night of performance.
As the companions settled themselves in for the night of revelry and espionage, they took stock of their surroundings. Tables had been set up for those who wished for a meal before the music and dancing. The balcony above served as a good view of the room.
As guests trickled into the room, it gradually began to fill. The companions found themselves sitting down at one of the tables, enjoying a vegetable soup with sour dough bread.
“This is very lavish, wouldn’t you agree?” asked Cirque tearing of a piece of bread.
“I would have to agree, this does seem like it would be awfully expensive just to pay for one party,” replied Rebekah with a spoonful of soup traveling toward to her mouth.
“The Kaufman’s are very wealthy. I had to do an infiltration back when I worked for the king. In truth, I think they’ve toned down their spending for functions such as this.
“Well this if is a ball, wouldn’t it be proper to dance,” said Dallin breaking into the conversation.
“He’s right. Food can always be enjoyed later,” agreed Saphronia, standing up to dance with Cirque.
“Well, I guess you’ve got me to dance with then,” said Rebekah flashing those brown eyes toward Dallin.
Dallin took her hand and led her through the throng of people who were already dancing. He put his hand gently on her hip and they began to waltz to the song.
Ever since Dallin had gotten back from the military, women had made him nervous. They seemed too complex.
“So, what did you do in the military?” asked Rebekah with a lilting voice.
“I didn’t do much, I was one of the head strategists in my time,” he replied.
“And that’s not much,” she said with a smile.
“Some of my ideas didn’t work or didn’t ring with the other strategists.”
“Oh, so how has your time in the city been so far?” she asked.
“It has been nice, I suppose. So much has changed since I first left.”
“Like what?”
“Styles, tools, methods of doing things.”
“Has it been a good change?” she questioned as they danced around another couple.
“You could say that,” He replied, “I do miss some of the old ways though. So how did you get the job of finding Mr. Atkinson’s daughter?”
“He heard of my reputation and sought me out,” she said, “It’s as simple as that.”
“So why did you take the job if you are a former criminal?”
“Like I said a couple nights ago, the stealing of people is a foul sin. But something the others don’t know is that my sister was kidnapped and killed when my parents couldn’t pay the ransom. Both my parents were killed a week later in a carriage crash. I was only ten back then. I had to learn to take care of myself. No one would take someone of my age in for a job so I learned how to pickpocket,” she paused, “I’ve told you too much about my life already. So do you have family in the city?”
“Yes but only of the far side of Diasa, so we don’t visit each other much. But we do communicate by postage.
“I see that Saphronia and Cirque have gone back to the tables. Should we join them?”
“Why not?” said Dallin. Truthfully, he was more than happy to sit down. His forehead and palms were sweaty and he felt mildly lightheaded.
“During one of the next songs we need to dance with someone other than each other,” said Cirque, “That way we can learn more from other people.”
“Sounds, exciting,” Dallin said sarcastically, twiddling his thumbs nervously.
After the third song, they all got up to dance again. Dallin approached several women, but was turned down scornfully by most, and dodged effectively by the rest.
My face isn’t that unattractive, what’s wrong with these women. After several more attempts at asking, Dallin finally found someone, a pretty blonde-haired woman. After a while of stepping around people, they began to converse.
“So, what about all of the kidnappings and theft going on. What are your thoughts?” asked the woman he had learned was called Emilia.
This took Dallin off guard. Wasn’t he supposed to be the one asking questions like that?
“Quite disconcerting,” he replied, trying to act casual, “Who knows who will be taken next.”
“I know, it’s exciting isn’t it?”
“I don’t know if exciting is the right word for it. Don’t you think stressful or hectic is more accurate?”
She let out a giggle and then said, “Yes, it could be said that is stressful, but so is work, city life, and life,” she added.
“Agreed,”
“Well it was nice to meet you,” she said after the song with a quartet of violinists had finished.
Dallin walked to the table that his companions had said to meet at. After so many turndowns, and the one dance, Dallin was ready for a rest.
“How was the Ball,” he asked as the other three approached the table.
“Unhelpful,” replied Saphronia, “No one has any information regarding the thefts or the kidnapped people.”
“I would have to agree,” said Cirque with a frown.
“It was enjoyable,” said Rebekah, sporting several rings and other assorted jewelry that she hadn’t been wearing when they came in.
“Put those down Rebekah, we didn’t come to steal,” scolded Saphronia.
“Well maybe you didn’t,” Rebekah said under her breath, “So where do we go next?”
“Back to our homes,” answered Cirque, “It’s too late to go back to Mr. Atkinson’s house tonight,” he said pulling a pocket-watch out of his suit-coat,” I say we meet tomorrow at seven.”
“Well then, good night,” said Dallin as he left the table and the hall behind him.

Chapter 5

Dallin awoke the next morning to Katie bringing in a vase of new flowers.
“Oh, you’re still here? I had supposed that you had left a couple hours ago.”
“What time is it?” Dallin asked blearily.
“Just after eight,” She said closing the door on her way out.
Dallin stared at the blank wall directly in front of him. He was late. Dallin couldn’t remember the last time he was late for anything. The shock hit him as swiftly as a bolt of lightning. He leapt out of bed and rushed to the wardrobe and pulled on what he could get a hold of. His tan slacks and black-buttoned shirt didn’t fit with the current styles but he didn’t care. He was late.
He got on a horse as he was pulling a tan jacket over his shoulders, and took off. He made it to Mr. Atkinson’s house in record time, and hour and a half.
When he reached the door, he knocked furiously. The butler answered in the same melancholy tone he had always greeted Dallin with as he looked him up and down. You don’t have an appointment until tonight.”
“Oh, I…” stuttered Dallin.
“Good day sir,” said the butler as he shut the door.
Dallin was stunned. He had mistaken the time to meet his companions for seven in the morning. Well, if he was out here already, he had better use his time wisely. He went down a few streets to a bakery where he purchased two buttery rolls for his breakfast.
As he walked down the street, he noticed how nice this part of Diasa was. There were parks and fountains, stores and shops with beautiful fronts.
This was the first time Dallin had really enjoyed himself during his time in Diasa. The scenery wasn’t as spectacular as some of the mountain country he had been trough while in the military, but it was some of the best he had seen while in the city.
He saw that many of the shops had more rare commodities than what the rest of the city had, but for a cheaper price than could be found elsewhere. The beautiful jewelry in some windows and the browned pastries and breads in other windows added a glow to the street. Even the cobblestones in the road seemed to glisten. It seemed too good, and Dallin had learned in the army to be suspicious of things that were too good to be true.
After spending the day in that section of Diasa, he went back to the Atkinson mansion. Finally, at seven o’ clock, he was able to go in. As he followed the butler up the stairs, he asked, “Where will we be going today?”
“You will all be in the attic today. The master wishes to see your abilities before he sends you anywhere..” When they had ascended all five flights of stairs to the attic, Dallin finally beheld the upstairs room.
“Welcome,” said Mr. Atkinson from the side of the room next to a row of targets. The clay pots were held on thick flax ropes.
“This is quite the setup you have here,” Dallin commented, looking at all the equipment set around the room.
“Yes, I am a Spark Trigger, so I set up my personal area to work out.”
Soon, all four of the people expected had arrived and had been explained to.
“First we will start out with Abilities. What can you do with them. We shall begin with the targets.”
They all stepped forward and took their positions.
“Saphronia, will you take the honor of the first shot?”
“Certainly,” she replied and shattered the pot with one blast of cold air that put icicles on the ropes.
“Now how about your turn Rebekah, just to heat things up?”
Rebekah stepped forward and created a ball of fire in her palm and threw it toward the pot. Cracks appeared and the pot broke.
“Cirque, now you,”
Cirque made the clay explode into fragments.
“Now Dallin,”
Dallin shot the blue bolt toward the container and it exploded violently.
“Very good, now how are you with Sparks. Use just a simple Stun Spark and activate it before anyone else does.”
They each were hand a bright yellow sphere and each of them cracked theirs simultaneously and at the exact same moment, activated the power inside the sphere. At once, they were all on the ground unable to move. After a half hour, Mr. Atkinson managed a “Good job,” before going quiet again.
After the multiplied effects of the Sparks wore off, it was well into the night.
“You may stay in the same rooms you were in last time. Good night.”
The next morning they continued.
“Use your Ability to break the Spark, and then use its power,” Edmond was instructing. It was not a skill Dallin had figured out before. Activating one of the spheres without touching it was difficult for him. He had always been good with Sparks, but had always thrown them at his opponents to break them.
After their training was complete, they went to the dining room for a breakfast of eggs, toast, and bacon.
“Now, down to business. Back during the ball, Rebekah pick pocketed a note from a man that said The package will be at the bell tower at the eleventh hour on the fifth day. This man was one of the leading criminal bosses in the city. He was also spotted on this street the day my daughter, Sabrina, was kidnapped,” said Mr. Atkinson, we believe the eleventh hour on the fifth day will be tomorrow evening. If you could get to the bell tower to stake out, then we may take my child back.”
“Then tomorrow it is,” said Cirque confidently.

The bell tower was at the very center of Diasa. Its tall windows made it seem even larger than it was in the cool predawn air. They had all agreed on five o’clock would be the best and they would stay there all day, each one of them taking shifts at the different corners until ten o’ clock in the evening. Then they would discuss what they had seen.
The sand colored bricks composing the building seemed to glow as the sun began to rise.
Dallin took his first watch at the southern corner of the tower. The sun rising to the side of him was blinding, but it was welcome over the cold air of the morning.
As he sat there, he pondered how they would catch the thieves in the act of the exchange, if these really were the thieves.
Dallin sat back on the bench he now occupied in his corner of the building. The air was progressively getting warmer, the sky getting bluer. He saw a flock of pigeons on the ground a few yards ahead.
At nine, he rotated to the west corner. Nothing eventful happened there either. Dallin thought of throwing some lightning just for entertainment’s sake, but people were coming onto the plaza in front of the bell tower. During the time it took to go through all four corners of the tower, he was sick of looking at the same sand colored brick..
Finally, ten o’ clock came.
“Did any of you see anything unusual?” asked Cirque.
“Nothing,” they all repeated.
“Well, it’s almost eleven, I’m going to go up by the bell, Saphronia, you go by the fountain on the east side, Dallin, you go inside on the ground floor, and Rebekah, you go on the west side.
The four split up to their separate locations. Just as Dallin was about to call out to the others that they had failed, he heard a voice from above.
“Hurry, come quick,” said Cirque in an excited voice.
Dallin jumped up the stairs and was surprised to see no one but Cirque and a large bundle at his feet.
“If I am being truthful, then this may be one of the prisoners,” said Cirque.
As they undid the bag, they saw a young feminine face, that wasn’t Sabrina’s.
“Natalie Hales, daughter of Stephen and Ashley Hales.”
“Where am I? Who are you?” she said, her time of imprisonment putting a drawn out look on her face, tears flowing down.
“Where are we?” asked Natalie, repeating her question.
“The bell tower at the center of Diasa,” answered Rebekah.

“How did I get here? I was in Tarina last time they moved me, which I think was yesterday.”
“What?” exclaimed Dallin, his eyebrows shooting up. Dallin was pretty sure that Tarina was in Selanin, a country that was a month’s long ride away.
“How did you get here in that time,” asked Rebekah with a befuddled look on her face, “Did they drug you, knock you over the head, or something else?”
“None of those, I have been conscious for the past day,” she replied with a worried look on her face, “They took me out into a field, and then a while later I felt stone through a hole in the sack I was in,” she said, gesturing toward the bag she had been contained in.
“How could that have happened,” asked Dallin to himself, while pacing the length between two of the large sand-colored pillars, “The questions don’t have answers.”
“I say we go back to Mr. Atkinson’s house and think on it there,” suggested Saphronia, “But first, let’s take Natalie back home.”

Chapter 6

“Come in,” said Ashley Hales when she saw the companions with her daughter, “How can we repay this kindness?” she asked, hugging her daughter fiercely, both crying on each others shoulders.
“Would it be possible for us talk to her for a few moments, if you wouldn’t mind,” said Cirque.
“Certainly, take all the time you need, I will tell Stephen,” said Mrs. Hales grinning with tears in her eyes, running off into the house to tell her husband of their daughter’s return, “Stephen, Stephen, she’s home, she’s home!”
“So Natalie, did you ever see any of your captors faces,” asked Saphronia, pulling out a notepad and pen.
“No, they always wore masks when they would interrogate me,” said Natalie wiping tears away.
“Do you know where they took you?”
“Nrada, Dainoa, Fysre, and Tarina.”
“All those in one month,” said Dallin in a disbelieving voice. The scary thing about was Dallin had fought battles in those places.
“Did they ever mention Sparks?”
“Yes, though they also did mention an experiment.”
“This experiment, did they talk about anything about it other than just the mentioning of the name?”
“No, not that I can recall,” she answered with a deep frown on her face, “But I just don’t remember correctly.”
“Can you use Sparks?” asked Saphronia.
Dallin started in surprise. What a highly unusual question. Natalie answered.
“That will be all. Thank you for your time,” said Saphronia, standing up to leave.
As they left the house, Dallin looked back and saw Stephen Hales finally seeing his daughter.
“We will meet tomorrow at Mr. Atkinson’s home,” said Saphronia to all of them.

Dallin awoke to the sound of breaking glass. His years in the army had paid off and he leapt to his feet at the noise. Then he heard a scream from Katie. As he rushed down the stairs form his bedroom, he saw Katie fly past him down the hall to the right down at the landing. As he rushed in to the large room at the end of the hall in the other direction he saw the intruders. Three tall, broad men with cloaks cut off at the shoulders in the fashion of the sand dwellers of the desert a three-day’s ride away south from Diasa. As he noticed them, out of the corner of his eye, he spotted Katie flying parallel to the ground at them at a rapidly increasing speed. As she neared them she managed to slow her flight and ran across the floor toward them.
What does she think she can do to men as powerful as they? He thought to himself. He had seen the strength and endurance of the sand dwellers while he was in the military.
When she connected with the nearest of them, the man flew upward as if an invisible giant had picked him up. The man’s neck snapped when his face connected with the vaulted ceiling. He stayed up their motionless.
Katie is a Gravity Maker! Thought Dallin astounded.
The other two men were down in a moment, or up depending how you looked at it. The other two men thrown to the ceiling had only been bruised and picked themselves off the ceiling and broke two Gravity Sparks and came back to the ground.
Dallin recovered from his shock and ran into his bedroom and grabbed his pouch of Sparks, all the while, charging his fingertips with electricity.
When he arrived back in the chaotic room the sand dwellers were keeping Katie busy. He let loose a bolt of lightning that struck one of the brawny men. He shook the hit off like dust and turned his attention to Dallin.
“You’ll pay for that,” the man said in a raspy tone, and threw a Stun Spark and put Dallin on the floor.
Just then, Katie put down the other and the two turned on each other. Dallin couldn’t move, but he could still see through half closed eyes. Katie rushed the man and they collided, falling toward the far wall.
Just then, an orange Spark fell out of Dallin’s pouch and shattered. The reddish tint told Dallin it was a Vigor Spark. He concentrated and within seconds, was able to move his limbs again. He shot an arc of energy toward the man who had kicked himself away from Katie and the current of electricity hit the man in the chest, paralyzing him.
“I had no idea that you were a gravity maker,” Dallin said to Katie.
“Didn’t I tell you?” she asked, picking herself up off the floor.
“No,”
“It was on the résumé,” she sighed.
“Oh,” Dallin said looking down. He hadn’t read through the résumé’s very thoroughly.
“There may be more of them, you know.”
“Right,” he said, leaping out the broken window the men had come from.

***
There were three others. They had taken off down the street when they had heard their comrade’s fall. Their cloaks flapping in the wind alerted Dallin of their presence. He however did not give chase. He had seen before how fast a Sand Dweller could run when provoked.
When he got back inside, Katie was on the ceiling picking through the pockets of the dead men above. Dallin took one of his Gravity Sparks and joined her.
“Have you seen these marks before?” she asked, “They look like they would be a coat of arms or insignia.”
“The pattern is familiar,” he said, looking quizzical, then his eyes widening, “That’s the coat of arms of the other family with a missing person, the family of Lord Burr.”
“Then that is your next stop,” said Katie.
Dallin dropped to the floor and looked at the one clock in the room that had survived.
“It may be a little early to go right now, but good bye Katie,” he said, walking out the door.