Laila's Life | Teen Ink

Laila's Life

May 2, 2012
By CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
More by this author
CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."

Robert Frost


Author's note: My inspiration writing this novel came from looking at life at a different angle.

My life right now could be described as perfect; I have the most amazing guy, family, friends, even career. But, I remember it all didn’t used to be like this. It was almost five years ago to be exact, I was 17 in my senior year of high school. Thinking of this brings all the memories back to me like it was yesterday…






It wasn’t even 6’oclock and my alarm started buzzing, the sun wasn’t out, and I couldn’t hear anyone awake either. But, if I was going to be on time to my first day of school, I would need to get up and moving, fast. So, I jumped out of my wonderful soft bed, walked across the hall to the bathroom me and my little sister share, dumped my clothes, and took a hot shower. Once I got out, I walked back to my room. Now, the search was on, for that first outfit I was going to wear. Ugh, this is what I hated about high school everyone was so judgmental. I mean, if you showed up in khakis and a polo shirt, people would call you nerdy. Wear, a cheerleading outfit, and you’d be a snob. But, in my case I’m neither of those. As some people would call it, a “plain Jane”.

I grew up being told by my mother and father, that I was their beautiful little girl, and was going to have plenty of guys fluttering around me. But at the time, being my little self, the thought made me wince. Boys were gross, weren’t they? All they did was run around and pulled out girls braids. Lucky for me, I was smart. I always hid behind the big old oak tree, which was located in the very far back corner of our playground. Boys were mean, gave you weird looks and giggled at you with their friends. But, I believed my mom and dad, thought I was going to grow up being the center of the world. I guess they lied. How could they?

Finally after maybe ten million times of changing I ended up wearing a black dress with lace at the bottom. I might get yelled at by the administrator or someone but, I don’t care. That’s my new motto this year; don’t care. I’m tired of being too stressed out over grades, people, family, church, and all that other junk. I’m gonna be carefree, an independent young woman. My hair was just brushed through a couple of times, it’s jet black (which I hate) and wavy.

I finally got to the point where I could go downstairs and eat a chocolate pop tart, (which I eat every morning) and had a glass of milk. My little sister Lindsay was up and moving as it was going to be her freshman year, so (yay) for me I get to drive her to school in my stupid black 97’ Ford mustang.

While waiting in my car for Lin to come out so we could leave I saw our neighbor, he was leaning against his motorcycle twirling his keys with his finger. I didn’t understand why he sometimes just stood there and looked off into space. But, oh how cute he was. Just only maybe the hottest guy in school, tall blonde shaggy hair, played football. He was like a god, walking around a small little town full of snobby people. Me, id call him cocky they way he always held his head high, and walked around with attitude.

It was his brother that really stood out, but of course he was off in his first year of college at Harvard. Bummer huh? He was so unlike his younger brother Hans. Still very tall, but had curly black hair, that I would refer to as wild. He was very smart, AP classes all throughout his high school. The best thing about him was those big blue round eyes, goodness they were gorgeous. Yeah, so you see I get into a trance whenever I think about him. Here comes Lin finally walking down the side walk…

When I drove up into the school parking lot, it was empty. How odd, usually very crowded with everyone’s vehicles and people standing out talking. It was 7:45 exactly; school starts at 8:00. I drove around the parking lot to the back where the buses are, and didn’t see any. Okay, so now this is getting weird. Where is everybody?
“Lin are you sure we have school today?” I asked with a sigh.

She replied “Umm, I dunno why wouldn’t we?”

“How would I know, jeez that’s why I was asking you. Common sense, I mean really” I said very sarcastically. I always hated Lin’s stupid remarks. She was always immature. This got old pretty quick.

Lin then said smiling “Ha-ha, I got you Laila! School was closed today because the new principle died in a wreck or something last night.” Wow she was really getting annoying. I freaking got up at 6 just so I could drive all the way up here and see that school was closed.

“What do you want Lin?” I bit my lip, uh oh.

“Ohhh, please! Can we go to the mall? Please!” she kept asking with big begging eyes.

“No, you know I hate the mall, now were going home. So, I can go back to sleep and you can stop bugging me.


Later that day, I was outside swinging on the porch swing listening to my favorite song “The time of my life” and saw Hans working out in his garage. He’s been out there a lot recently, I didn’t know why either. All I could hear was a clank clank noise, which was possibly made with metal banging. And so, with my new carefree attitude, I decided to walk across our front yard and into his. I walked up to the little garage side door, and knocked softly.

“Mom! Can you please just leave me alone! I don’t care if Ash called 40 times today!” Hans said in a very irritated voice.

“Oh no! Sorry Hans, it’s me Laila” I said swiftly.

“Sorry bout’ that Laila, come on in.” Hans said while he opened the door.

“Aha, thanks” I said with a smile. So I walk into the door and I see this old dodge truck, it looked like he was working on.

“So, what’s up?” Hans said questiongly.

“Sorry, I came over to see what you were doing in here” I said.

“I see, well im remolding this old truck my dad got me for my birthday since I love working with trucks.” Hans informed me. He was looking at me with those same eyes his older brother Adrian has. I almost kept starring into them until for half a second I realized I needed to reply.

“Whoa, that’s so cool! Who taught you how to do all this?” I said quickly.


“Hmm, well it’s sort of a long story…” Hans said, while he turned around, walked towards the mini refrigerator in the corner of the room. I could see dust everywhere, engine parts, oil, grease, yuck. He reached down into the fridge and got two cokes.

“Want one?” he asked.

“Sure, thanks!” I said with a grin. God, he was so hot. I wonder why he was talking about Ash earlier, maybe they broke up. Last I knew they were like the cutest couple in school. Been dating for years. Guess they broke up recently over the summer, how weird. It’d been about a minute before he said anything else. But, I took the coke from his hands, popped the lid, and took a sip.

“Uhm, so what was with the whole Ash thing you were mentioning earlier?”

“Well, Ash and I broke up two weeks ago. Cuz’ she cheated on me with that Jr. Tony Steamens guy. Turns out she’s been calling the house 24/7 asking my mom to get me to take her back.” He said with an eye roll.

“Are you going to?” I asked curiously.

“Going to what?” he asked confused.

“Take her back.” I said bluntly.

“Oh, got’cha; I really don’t know. I liked her and all, maybe even loved, but when she turns around and breaks everything we have…” he then turned around facing the wall.

“Hey, you don’t have to talk about it, it’s okay.” I said, hoping he’d still keep talking about how much he hated her. I was really falling for him. It’s not like I’ve never noticed or had a crush on him before.

“Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff to sort through. Hopefully it won’t be that difficult.” He paused, then grinned at me and said, “Hey, I just realized we haven’t talked since…” Hans said as he starred at the floor.

“Oh my gosh Laila! I’m so sorry I shouldn’t have mentioned that!” He said still starring at the floor with a frown.

In that moment I felt my stomach drop, and my eyes started to water. “It’s okay.” I said with a sniff.

Of course he hadn’t forgotten; nobody did. That one stupid, careless night…



Hans interrupted my train of thought when he took a step forward and touched my arm. “Laila, I am so sorry, it’s just…I’ve missed you so much. Every day I have some moment where I remember us as kids running around in Old McGregg’s pasture chasing the cows. Or, when we were just hanging out at your house, laughing at Lin dancing to her game. I miss that, I miss us.” Hans said as he leaned closer to hug me.


At that very instant moment when I felt his arms embracing me, all those years of holding the pain inside finally released. I started to sob, I couldn’t believe after all these years I had held that one night inside and had not released the pain. I missed Hans too, but I didn’t know how to tell him that. I was stuck, inside a thick wall that would not allow my emotions to surface. My father was the only person that ever really understood me. And watching him die was the hardest thing I’ve ever experienced. What hurts the most is that I was the cause for his death…

Only a few seconds had passed while being hugged by Hans when he said “Laila, come back to my life, please?” He said with a sigh.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and said “Okay”.

He then released me, wiped away my tears, looked into my eyes and grinned. “Thanks LayLay!”


Later that night while I was getting ready for bed I heard the doorbell ring as I was in my towel walking to my room. I froze, and decided to walk downstairs and see who it was. I was the only one home. Mom and Dad went to watch Max’s first karate class while Lin was at her boyfriend’s house. As I walked down the stairs I could see the dim porch light and a human shadow standing in front the door. When I reached the bottom step and walked to the door Mailo (our Yorkie) came running to me. I shooed her away and unlocked the door slowly.

It was Hans holding my silver charm bracelet. “Hey! Oh! Woah! Um, sorry!” He said while he jumped back into the darkness.

“It’s okay, at least I have a towel on, ha-ha.” I said with a smirk.

“Well, yeah... right. So anyways I think your bracelet fell off or something because I found it in my garage.” He replied quickly

“Ohmygod! Thank you so much! Can I go get dressed really quick and we can talk?” I said hoping he would say yes. There was a long pause as I was standing in the doorway with my towel.

“Yes.” He finally whispered, with a sigh.


As soon as he replied, I ran back up the stairs to my room and shut the door. My clothes were everywhere! Piled all on my bed, the dresser, even on the floor! How was I going to find anything? Well, actually what was I looking for? My Nike shorts and my favorite Under-Amour hoodie. When I spotted my shorts, I snatched them off the floor, slipped them on and continued to look for my hoodie, while I combed through my soaking wet hair. I was going crazy, my heart was beating at a very fast pace, and I felt very nervous. Why? Because, I like him? NO! I couldn’t… especially after…


I found my hoodie scattered on my bed with all the other shirts, pulled it over my head, and headed back downstairs. He was still waiting outside the door, so I finally took a deep breath, opened the door, and invited him inside.

The author's comments:
This Chapter was written in one week, and it is not far near the length of the first one, but I've had some time, to write since it's SUMMER! (:

Laila’s Life

Chapter two: Changing Stories


We sat on the living room couch in silence for a while, just taking in each moment. Time with him seemed to go by very quickly; we didn’t need to carry on conversation like most people. I was perfectly content with just sitting in his presence, watching the up-and-down movement of his chest while he breathed. Hans, goodness just thinking of his name sends painful cold shivers down my spine. I hurt him and everyone around me that night. Only if I could take everything back, make everything disappear…

“Laila, I want you to tell me. Tell me everything.” Hans said with a very serious expression.
“B-but, I can’t.” I said while looking at the floor. I didn’t tell anyone what happened, at least not the true story. Well, because I couldn’t. There was like some sort of restraint, holding me back and not letting me say anything. I was utterly scared.

“Look at me, now!” He said with such anger and rage, I had to look at him. “We grew up telling each other everything! Everything Laila! What happened to all of that? I miss you, everyday. When I wake up in the morning you are the first person I think of.”

“Hans please stop. I don’t want to talk about it, okay?” I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. Squeezing my eyes shut, I tried not to think about it; there was no way I could sit here and cry in front of him again. Not twice in one night. But every time I tried to force the tears back, it just made everything worse. My heart was beating as fast as a racehorse, as I swallowed I could feel my desert-dry-throat. It felt as if thousands of knifes were inside me, stabbing and scratching their way up my body, up my throat, forcing me to speak. “Okay I’m ready.”

After I told Hans everything that happened that night, he scooted closer to me on the couch and wrapped his warm, strong, secure arms around me. “I never knew it was like that. I’m so sorry, why was I ever so… so stupid?” He said with a cold, dark, hurt expression. “I feel like I’ve let you down, I should have been there for you. Listened to what you were saying.”

“I don’t want sympathy.” I blurted out without thinking. People don’t understand, I don’t want them looking at me with their puppy dog eyes. I get pointed to everyday with people saying: Hey! Look it’s that girl, I feel so sorry for her. Yeah, It’s a sad tragic story one without an answer but, it doesn’t mean I need to be looked down upon. Life is just so unfair.

“Look at you, your amazing Laila.” Hans said abruptly, with a mutual face. It was one of those sentences that take your breath away, I gasped. He never said anything like that, not even when we were best friends. Nobody has ever said anything so… pure wonderful to me. Not since my father died.

“What?” I said still blown away.

“You are amazing, I love you” Hans said, as he leaned in and kissed me.

As soon as I felt his lips brushing against mine, I thought my heart was going to explode. Every emotion my body could possibly feel, erupted. I’ve been longing for someone to listen, someone to care. But, the kiss didn’t last long before he pulled away. Although, he still had his arms around me, I wanted to be closer. But, he unwrapped his arms from around me, stood up, then leaned down and kissed my on my forehead.

“Goodnight baby.” Hans said before walking out the door.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 11 comments.


on Nov. 21 2012 at 1:02 pm
CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."

Robert Frost

Thank you so much! It really means a lot to get feedback. I noticed that little bump right when I published it, but hopefully readers will be able to unserstand it was her Step Dad! I'm not really sure if I should continue it. Didn't plan the plot at all!

on Oct. 27 2012 at 10:34 pm
shinegirl24 BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All, everything I understand, I understand only because I love." Leo Tolstoy

Hi! First, I'd like to say that you have a lot of good things going on here. You created a really interesting character; Laila seems a bit superficial at first, until you learn her story, so good job there.  I also really like the overall story line. One little thing I would change was the part where you described how her father died, but you then went on to say "Mom and Dad went to watch Max's karate class". That shouldn't be too difficult to fix, you could just make him a stepdad or something. Overall, great job and keep writing!

on Oct. 27 2012 at 3:12 pm
AloneandFree SILVER, Williamston, South Carolina
5 articles 0 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
Rise above the storm and you will find the sunshine.
-Mario Fernandez

oh my god thats just amazing can you write more i would like to read more of that story. its just full of suspense and its a great book. PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!!!

on Jul. 10 2012 at 2:22 pm
CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."

Robert Frost

Thank you, and yes that's what I get from typing everything, with word documents and all, thank you though for telling me, I try to proof-read everything, but will sometimes miss some things.

DanielM SILVER said...
on Jun. 16 2012 at 1:00 pm
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington
6 articles 1 photo 245 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

I really like your style of writing. It's very intersting how you write. i really like this novel. Your really good at desribing people and just descriptions in general. Great Job!!!

suggestion: their are a few spelling errors such as god should be captialized other than that your really good at writing and keep it up


on Jun. 1 2012 at 1:23 pm
fidgetyfrog GOLD, Panchkula, Other
12 articles 40 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"- Dr. Seuss

Love your discriptions. You should totally continue it. :nodswisely:

on Jun. 1 2012 at 1:04 pm
ignorance_is_bliss PLATINUM, Memphis, Tennessee
27 articles 0 photos 45 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This is what it is, this is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didn't wanna fall but I about to crawl
I met the one with two scarred hands"

-Newsboys, Born Again

Man, tht was amzing. its one of those books where you just get lost, and forget everything around you. Loved it with my whole heart. U read poetry? I have tons. If u wanna read it...:)

on May. 7 2012 at 5:02 pm
CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."

Robert Frost

All of those questions, I will try to answer(: Thank you so much. Your comment was gladly appreciated. I hope to continue writing the story when I have more freetime. I will check yours out!

on May. 7 2012 at 5:00 pm
CaseyJean BRONZE, Rustburg, Virginia
4 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness."

Robert Frost

Thank you so much! Getting positive comments just makes my day so much better. I am new to the whole teen ink website. I will try to continue the book, with summer edging closer.

on May. 5 2012 at 6:12 pm
nemish23 BRONZE, Sydney, Other
2 articles 0 photos 110 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything they have."

"Today is life. The only life we're sure of. Make the most of today." -CSI:NY

please write more! i want to know what happens!

you have a great style of writing and there are still so many questions that need to be answered!

please post more!

<3


Lindsey31 GOLD said...
on May. 5 2012 at 10:02 am
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota
11 articles 11 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

But.. what did she do to her dad? How did he die? What was Laila and Han's past? There are so many unanswered questions! I hope you create a "Laila's Life: Part Two!" That'd be awesome! If you want you could check out my book and comment! You are a very good writer! I was hooked.