The Music Box | Teen Ink

The Music Box

By ClumslyImperfect BRONZE, Spokane, Washington
ClumslyImperfect BRONZE, Spokane, Washington

never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game.

Please comment and enjoy!(:

Tragedy. A word that my world has seen much of. When stories are written, the author has a purpose. My story is just beginning, I don’t have a purpose, or a clue to where my choices and mistakes might take me. All I know is my story isn’t a happy one.

All the girls have stories, they all have their reasons for ending up here, but one thing Is certain is none of us chose here. Everyone of us was either sold here or kidnapped in some way or another. Luna is a young runaway, who was kidnapped from the streets, because of her striking features and youthful face. Babe willingly came with her kidnapers just to get away from her abusive father, not that she really got away from the abuse. Iris is a runaway just like Luna, took this place as a way to get off the streets, again willingly going with the scouts that Sander sent out for new material. The girls may have willingly went with their kidnappers but they didn’t chose where they ended up and if they knew then what they know now, they would all go back to their parents or the streets. The promises Sander made to the girls were never kept and they are now stuck here, as dancers at a adult night club. The world I was thrown into had just became a lot more tragic than anything I had ever known.

The black veil blurred my vision as the tears run down my face. I watched as my father’s casket lowered into the soil, where he would stay for the rest of eternity. I saw the faint smile on step-mothers face, as she saw her dreams finally came true. My father was dead and his money was hers. I hadn’t even wiped the tears from my father off my face before, I was being sold to Sander.
“A perfect place for a slut like you to belong,” she said as I was being pulled away. I didn’t fight, I let my body fall heavy as they drug me to Sander’s office.
“What a beautiful little doll,” he said as he stroked my cheek. Sander had eyes as black as his soul and dark greasy hair slicked back. Yellowing teeth and a smirking grin. “Take her to her room,” he commanded, before looking at me one last time. “Welcome, Doll,” he smirked and I was drug away again.

A door that was locked was now open before me as I was thrown in. I stayed on the ground as I heard the keys lock me into this room for the first time.
“Are you alright?” I felt a soft hand grab my arm as she helped me up. I was met with soft green eyes, her hair was straight half-up half-down with the crown teased to a perfection, in the color black.
“I’m fine,” I whispered as I looked around, the surroundings were a reflection of an orphanage set up. Small twin beds and a night stand, each girl had their own personal items on their stand.
“I’m Iris and that’s Babe,” She pointed to the blonde that was painting her toes a fire red, she looked up and smiled, as her blue eyes sparkled.
“And Luna,” Luna was a tiny petite brunette, with the biggest brown eyes I had ever seen, she was doe eyed. Each of them with ivory skin, soft and like porcelain, not that they get much sun.
“What’s your name?” Iris gleamed through and into my soul with her green eyes, she had looked so peacefully at me.
“Doll,” I shacked. Iris wrapped her arms around me.
“Don’t worry, Doll it does get easier,” she assured me. I saw my small suitcase sitting on what now would be my bed. I sat next to my suitcase, as my sobs began. I felt arms wrap around me from behind.
“It’s going to be okay, Doll,” I knew it was Luna behind me from her small frame. I held on to Luna’s hand as I cried even harder. Iris and Babe, joined as we all held each other. I hadn’t intended to make then all cry within the first ten minutes but, maybe we all needed a good cry.
“Doll. Doll, honey you have to get up,” I recognized Babe’s voice and that assured me that I didn’t dream the contents of last night.
“Here, put this on,” Babe through my a nude colored corseted leotard and a pair of gray stockings. I did as she told me. Babe also handed me a pair of black heels and some jewelry., insisting that Sander always liked us to look our best. Once I was dressed, Babe hugged me and took my hand as she led me out of our cage. Babe explained how Sander only locked us in there at night, because during the day we had to be available for rehearsal, fittings and doing work around the club. We didn’t walk through the dark halls long before, we came into what I found to be the dressing room. Three make-up mirrors with attached lights were lined up on the back wall and three more free standing ones were in front of them, creating a make-up corner. Luna and Iris were putting the finishing touches of their smokey looks. Racks and racks of bustier’s and leotards, some dripped in jewels others plain. A walk of heels and another rack of hanging gowns and dresses. Outfits of shorts and skirts were there too, but you knew other then the gowns all the outfits were for sex appeal.

Babe took me over to Luna and Iris, each other the stations had a unbelievable amount of make-up, all in dark sultry colors, dark glitters and rich lipsticks. They gave me the make-up mirror on the wall, next to Luna. Iris did my make-up with blacks and grays, my eyelashes were very visible and full. She left my lips a natural rosy color. I looks beautiful, but also still youthful and very sexy. As Iris shaped my face, Babe shaped my hair. I learned more about the girls as they worked their magic. Luna was only fifteen and had been here for two years, she told me her story, about how she ran away. Iris, seventeen like me and how she had the same fate as Luna. Babe, eighteen and about the abuse of her father.

When I was done, I was amazed. My eyes that my father called his sapphires were rimmed with full lashes and they looked huge with the beautiful placement of the pigments by Iris. My naturally wavy chocolate brown hair, was cascading in fuller curls that normal, down to my waist. Babe had teased my crown to give even more volume and definition. I looked in the mirror and saw as my small thin frame was revealed in the little bit of clothing they placed me in.

Luna, Iris and Babe all were dressed in similar outfits to mine, but Babe’s was leopard print, Luna’s white and Iris was in black. They had their hair as they did last night, Iris in her half-up due, Babe had her straight across blonde bangs down and her straight long hair teased at the crown like the rest of us. Luna’s brown shoulder length hair was falling in soft curls, much more faint then my very distinct ones. While Iris and Babe had the exact same hair cut, with long straight hair(not as long as mine) and straight across bangs falling in their eyes, Luna had shorter side bangs that would sometimes hide her right eye. My middle part was fairly different than theirs. These girls were my family now, and they were all beautiful because of their differences.
“Ladies, time for rehearsal,” Babe squeezed my shoulders before pulling me with them to the studio, a room with mirrors for walls and a stereo set-up with microphones and their stands.
“Perform,” Sander ordered me, I stood frozen. I didn’t know what to do.
“Doll, in here it’s either dance or die. Now dance,” he looked my body up and down.
“I don’t know how,” I closed my eyes and waited for what I knew was coming.

Please comment and enjoy!(:

“Don’t!” Iris screamed as Sander’s hand stopped inches from my cheekbone.

Sander glared at her before looking back at me. “Iris, Babe, Luna dance,” he started a slow rock song. He grabbed my arm as the girls did as they were told. I learned much about them through the way they moved their bodies.

Sander pulled me over to the stereo where he had a small table, with sheet music scattered. Sander handed me a piece.
“I have three dancer’s, I need a singer in my act,” The music came to an end.
“I’m going to start the music over again, and this time Doll is going to sing the melody while you girls dance,” Sander said to all of us.
The music began and the girls dance. I closed my eyes and sang. I had never really sang before, but I let the music flow through me as, I felt the movements of the girls and the notes the music hit.

I was lost, in the song. I was lost in the movements that I could feel each girl doing, I had moved so I was moving with the girls, not dancing to their expertise but I was able to keep up with them. I felt everything as each of us were lost in the dancing music note.

The ending notes of the song, made each of us open our eyes and catch the breathes each of us were missing. I smiled as my breathing started to steady, our sweat covered bodies heaving. Sander looked at all of us as he was coming out of his trance.
“Well, well ladies. Looks like we have a new show to plan,” Sander clapped.
“I guess I will have to bring back the choreographer and create us a new show, featuring Doll’s voice,” Sander didn’t wait for a reply from any of us. He gave us all another look, as if we were his toys before exiting the room again.
“Ohmigod! Doll, you didn’t tell us you had a voice like that,” Iris, Luna and Babe all hugged me.
“I didn’t know,”
“Did you feel it?” Luna said shyly.
“The way the music ran through me, how I could feel every movement that each of you made?” I said. Babe and Iris smiled.
“Yes! We finally found you,” they all smashed me with hugs again.
“What are you talking about ‘you found me’?” They all smiled at me.
“Come on, Doll,” Luna smiled as she took my hand, with Iris and Babe on our tails we were in our room again. Iris took the small wooden chair in the corner and blocked the door with it.
“Doll, what were about to show you, is now our secret. Waterlily will explain more when we get there,” Babe and Iris were pushing two beds together, as I stood with Luna who was digging in the bottom of her nightstand. She pulled out a small silver box that was so beautiful and delicate, it had been buried under more things than I thought could ever possibly fit in the nightstand.
“Whose Waterlily?” I asked confused. Babe smiled at me.
“She’s the only reason that we have been able to survive here as long as we have. Every time we see Waterlily we got closer to answers and a way out of here, but then we came to a halt because we were missing one thing,” I looked at her confused.
“We were missing you, Doll,”
“Me? What could I possibly be to this women? What are you guys even talking about? We are being held captive here, maybe you guys a little too long. Are you girls going lonely?” they all laughed.
“Just wait Doll, everything will make sense soon, I promise. I know it sounds crazy, but you’re special just like the rest of us. This place is just a fork in the road, we all have a greater destiny then this club,” Iris tried to calm me. But I was still uneasy, and they knew it.
“Come,” Iris pulled me on the bed where she had me lay next to her, Babe was on her other side. Babe’s arm was wrapped around Iris as Iris wrapped her arm around me.
“Just close your eyes, Doll and listen to the music box,” I assumed that Luna laid next to Babe, when the music box began playing the most beautiful music I had ever heard.

I kept my eyes closed as Iris told me. I wasn’t prepared for what I felt next. Sunlight.