The Midnight Sun | Teen Ink

The Midnight Sun

By Julia BRONZE, Winfield, Illinois
Julia BRONZE, Winfield, Illinois

"Even when it's raining, let the sun shine on your face."

Author's note: This is my first novel, and I wanted to combine the supernatural and romance, both of which I am a big fan of. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it! :)

Prologue ~ six months ago…
“I don’t understand. Why do we have to move right now?? It’s only two weeks until my 18th birthday, can’t we wait until I graduate?” I questioned anxiously. My father shook his head, his curly locks swishing back and forth. “No Sabrina! My business is moving all the men in our law firm to Sussex, and I can’t say no. Otherwise I’ll lose this job, our house, and everything we own.” I stepped back as if struck. Lose everything? How could we? I couldn’t believe it. “Us?! Loose all of our money? Father, we’re the richest people in Canada…anywhere! Us??” My father ran his hands through his jet black hair, and sighed deeply. “Sabrina, I’ve never told you, but… we’ve slowly been draining the account, and we’ll have to make sacrifices once we move to England. Brina, I really need your support to do this,” he said, using his favorite nickname for me. I didn’t say anything, “Fine,” I muttered sullenly, and ran up to my tower bedroom, slamming the door. “This cannot be happening. Suddenly we go from richest people in England to destitute? Unbelievable,” I whispered to myself as I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling.

*************

I looked sadly out the window of our departing airplane at the only place that I had ever called home. It looked beautiful with its snow capped mountains, and watery blue-black sea. Nevertheless, I was in no mood to enjoy it. My father sat next to me, his laptop notebook opened in front of his serious, deathly handsome face. I sighed and remembered that morning, when I’d had to sell most of my clothes on E-bay and Craig’s-list, because they weren’t the fashion in England. I knew my Dad had always had my welfare first priority in his mind, and keeping our family together, but I still couldn’t help being angry with him. My father, Duke Wellington of Greenwich, and his daughter, Duchess Sabrina Coralline of Greenwich, were basically peasants now, though the Wizard Parliament had let us keep our titles. Oh, did I forget to mention that little iota? Well, yes, we’re Wizards, but we haven’t told anyone that… it’s our little secret. I wondered how I could ever adapt to this lying peasant life. I can’t even believe now, that I used to think like this.

*********
Chapter one~ One year later…

I looked down at the menu for today’s cafeteria meal. Fish and Chips AGAIN! I sighed, and whipped my long blonde hair over my shoulder, as Oliver Connors walked past me, winking slyly. “Uhhhhhhhh, what a dunce,” I thought, as I smiled back, and graced him with a little wave. The wave of ignorance. Ahhh. I’d be ignored by Connors for the rest of the day, thanks to that handy little spell. I smiled at my best friend, Vanessa, who had just walked up to my table with her lunch tray. “Hey Sabrina! Is the weirdo Connors following you around again?” She smirked. I grimaced. “Yeah, but I took care of him. Anyways, how was English today, Van? I heard Mr. Kroll totally knocked over Troy with that paper, right? He’s a total English geek, after all.” She sighed. “Yeah, but he still is a nice guy. I can’t believe that you don’t like him.” “I don’t even know him. He’s not in any of my classes,” I retorted. “Well, yeah, but so what? I could… OMG, look who just walked in!” I half turned in my seat, as a wave of kids did the exact same thing. A squad of cheerleaders entered, escorting the twenty new freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors into Sussex College, Home of the Magicians. “Hey look at those Freshies, mhmmmm, mmmm do they look good!” “Van, stop it,” I whispered to her, trying to control her demon senses myself, which was virtually impossible. Valerie, the head cheerleader, shook her pom-poms and said, “Attention all students of Sussex. Today we admit to your care twenty new scholars. You will be placed in pairs to show them around the school, and meet back here for our last meeting. I will now read off the pairs.” As the started to read, I ran my eyes over the new guys and girls. I noticed a lot of them looked wary, and nervous, but a few stood out. “Whoa, Van, get a load of those six guys over there. It’s like the squad’s personal hot man team.” “And man, are they looking’ good!” Vanessa said. I was too busy looking at the guys, to realize that my name had just been called. Everyone began staring my way. Valerie smirked, and shouted, “Would Sabrina Coral come to the front to be paired up?” Then suddenly she stopped speaking, and looked off into the distance, as if she were staring hard at something. I all too soon realized that someone was performing a spell, but it wasn’t me. There was clearly another wizard in the room. Every regular human was frozen solid. No one else except Vanessa and I seemed to notice. Finally, Valerie shook her head, as if to clear it, then she smiled again and said in her shouting voice, “Sabrina Coral, you’re with Alexandre Carlson. Wait. Alexandre Carlson? There must be a mix up here. I--” But everyone was too busy gasping to hear Valerie. And all the girls were gasping. I felt like screaming, “What the bloody hell!” Alexandre Carlson … was one of the most delicious guys I’d ever seen. Moreover, I had seen him before. He had coal black straight hair, extremely pale white skin, and was six feet tall. His hands were perfect, with thin and long slender fingers, and his eyes… his eyes were… drowsy brown. I knew what that meant, unfortunately, and I squeezed my small hands together. I have the smallest hands in school. How had he found me again after all this time? He put out his hand to me, smiled and said, “Nice to meet you. I’m Alexandre Carlson,” His voice was as smooth as silk. If he was surprised after he’d heard my name he hadn’t show it “Uh,” was all I said. He grinned, and as I began to walk out of the cafeteria, the whole lunchroom’s eyes followed me out.

************

“Well, say your last words, Sabrina,” was my first thought, when we were finally by ourselves. “Well, I guess we’d better start with the basics. I’m Sabrina Coral, and you are … uh, Alexandre Carlson, correct?” He gave a half-smile, and said, “Sabrina, don’t kid. It’s extremely childish.” I glowered at him, my eyes flashing. We stood facing each other, me with hands clenched, and him with his arms nonchalantly crossed. After a very awkward pause, he smiled suavely, and said, “Rina, how are you? I haven’t heard from you in such a long time?” Alexandre gently rested his hands on my shoulders, and gave me a sick smile. “Don’t you dare touch me!” I yelled, shoving him in the chest a few feet away. My powers surfaced, and though I usually had good control of them, I added them to the power of the shove. The second they came up, Alexandre balanced against the push, whipping out his hands, and gabbing both of mine. I felt the shock of our hands meet, and a shiny white light that shot from our joined hands. He grinned wickedly, his eyes flaring to a powerful bright red. “My, how your power’s grown, love,” Alexandre added in an almost normal tone. Then, his voice turned reptilian then. “Now, Sabrina Coral, your powers and life are in my hands,” he hissed. I could feel my power draining away as my body began to swing out of control. “NO!” I screamed, a searing red-hot light zooming thorugh my hands, into my power channel in my throat and slowly making its way slowly down my spine. “Please Alexandre, stop! You already got what you wanted from me last time! Please, listen to me!” I cried, closing my eyes to the pain. I could feel his power now entering my body, slowly making its way down my backbone. I felt sick to my stomach. My eyes flashed open, and I saw the beads of sweat pouring down Alexandre’s face in concentration. I looked him straight in the eyes, and sent a pleading message into his mind. I tried to pull away, but I couldn’t get out of his grasp. Finally, after the long agonizing moments, he laughed wickedly. “I almost have you, and when I do, you shall be a totally defenseless human! Then, I can do what I have waited to do so long. I almost can’t believe this moment has finally come!” He shrieked, smiling wickedly. “NO! HELP!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, hoping someone would hear, but I doubted it, because they were all inside the orientation building. I tried to keep pulling away, but it was no use. Struggling, I waited until the last moment that I would be fully wizard. Forever. In addition, no one could hear us, because of the soundproof bubble he had put around our battle. I squeezed my eyes shut, fighting so that I wouldn’t become totally defenseless to him and his corrupted ideas. Nothing worked. His power had almost reached the base of my spine, when suddenly, there was no pain. Alexandre’s grip on my hands loosened totally, and as I fell in a heap to the ground, I heard a bunch of loud noises that sounded like choking. “ARGGGGGG! You can’t protect them forever, Adam Lake!” Alexandre roared, in an ear-piercing voice. And then I heard…silence? I opened my eyes to find Alexandre…vanished! I went pick myself up, but fell back down, and cried out in pain, as my entire body was numb. I wouldn’t be able to get up for at least three hours. No one would find me and then I’d just die in my weak state, and my father would— “Are you ok?” A deep voice asked me. I squinted at the sky, and saw the outline of a teenage guy against the sun. I opened my mouth to explain who I was, but I couldn’t talk from the lack of strength. He smiled, flashing his extremely white teeth, and said, “You’re too weak to get up. But don’t fear; you’re safe. Rest now.” I sighed deeply, and, whether I wanted to or not, I blacked out.

A few Hours Later…

I awoke to the sound of typewriters clicking rapidly. A nurse in a white uniform informed me that I had been kicked in the head by a soccer ball, and had a minor amount of injuries. My friend who had found me was in the waiting room. I looked at her, startled. “My…friend?” She smiled slightly, as if she were trying to explain how to tie shoelaces to a toddler. “Your boyfriend?? He’s right outside in the waiting room. He brought you here.” “Oh, right.” I said, smiling a little at the nurse. I have a boyfriend now? Since when? I looked out the glass window, and saw a really hot guy sitting outside, staring at the ground. He had to be at least six feet tall, wore baggy jeans, and a black t-shirt. He picked his head up, as if he sensed I was watching him. Then he noticed me staring at him, and waved. Uncertain, I waved back, and I could see a near laugh tugging at the corners of his mouth. He had straight, bleach blonde, chin-length hair, six packs, and extremely intoxicating dark blue eyes. I stared at him, sending a message to his mind, so as to test his power ability. “So, you’re my boyfriend now, huh?” I asked. He looked up at me, his eyes widening with surprise. “Well, it was the only title I could use to get you in here,” he replied. “I, um, didn’t want you to die, because on my last encounter with Alexandre Carlson, I saw him kill…someone. He almost killed you, you know, and he wouldn’t hesitate to do it, since he’s killed girls…before you,” he said his face flushing as he looked away from my gaze. “Then I’m forever grateful to you, because otherwise he would have made me entirely human, and that means entirely vulnerable, if you know what I mean?” He grinned, but his eyes held a look of seriousness in them. “Well then, I guess I owe you a thanks for saving my life!” I added, smiling a little. He laughed outright, which made the nurse turn around, then go back to filling her needles, or whatever she was doing. “Yeah, whatever. I would have done it for anyone, I guess. Well, if it had been someone, um, like you…” he trailed off, his face red. I smiled gratefully, lying back down. Then I shot up again. “Hey, I don’t even know your name!” He grinned again. “My name is Adam. Adam Lake. And, what’s your name? I just saved some really cute girl whose name I don’t even know!” Then he realized what he had just said, and blushed again. I threw back my head and laughed. The nurse whirled on me. “Shh! Here, go outside. You seem to be in top condition,” She said, opening the door for me. I jumped off the bed, walked outside calmly, and sat down next to Adam. I looked at him, and noticed his eyes had snowflake patterns in them, and were dark blue. Did I already mention that? “Hey! So, yeah, I’m… Sabrina Coral.” I didn’t include my title, thinking it wouldn’t be important. “Hmmm, Sabrina Coral. Where have I hear that name before? ” Adam asked, rubbing his chin suddenly. “I don’t know. Probably in the lunchroom--,” I volunteered the information, before he began second guessing. “Hey, why weren’t you in the lunchroom, Adam?” He looked down, embarrassed. Then he said, “I’d just gotten out of detention. I’m in there a lot, because my band needs to practice in the school, and we never get time or can pay for a room, so we just practice in the halls, and—“You have a band? Oh my gosh! That is so cool! What do you guys play?” I asked excitedly. “Oh, I play lead guitar and sing, my friend Michaël sings and plays the acoustic, while my cousin, Alexi, is our bass guitar player and drums,” Adam said, listing them off on his elegantly long fingers “Oh, cool! Hey, if you ever need a girl singer sometime…” I trailed off, realizing that he was looking at my shoulder, particularly at my tattoo. I pulled my hair over that shoulder to cover it, but he held up his hand, and pushed my hair back. He looked closer at my shoulder. I flushed, getting this weird feeling from an almost stranger guy looking at my shoulder. “WHAT?” I asked. “It’s only a litharon flame. You know sorcer’s magic powers…enchantment?” He grinned, but his eyes looked serious now. I guess he finally realized what he had gotten himself drawn into. I began doing mezmer on him to find out what he was, but I ran into thick, solid barriers in his mind. He flashed a sudden look at me, and I felt a wave of numbness wash over me. But, maybe that wasn’t due to powers. I shook my head, thinking it might be the mesmerizing quality of his been blue eyes that numbed me, but realized it wasn’t going away. Immediately, I tensed. This was no ordinary human. He must have realized I figured this out, since he stopped staring at me, and immediately, I felt better. “Uh, thanks, I guess,” I managed to say, as he stood up, and began walking down the hall without me. “Hey, you save my life, and then just walk off? How rude is that?” I questioned, running after him and trying to keep up with his long strides. He turned on me, and at once, I realized that maybe he wasn’t as into me or my wizardness as I’d first thought. His eyes blazed silver as he grabbed my shoulders and pushed me against a partition, saying, “Look Sabrina, I don’t know you, I don’t want to, and I only did it to put my conscience at ease. I just saved you, ok? That’s it! Why don’t you go bother your real Wizard boyfriend now!!!” We were inches apart and I could feel his eyes drilling holes into my brain. My pulse was racing, and I suddenly felt like I didn’t know this Adam Lake so well. His breath was hot as he breathed heavily in and out. Like, he just might kill me right about now. “I think…I need some air,” he muttered, letting me go, as I slid to the floor. Adam turned and ran, leaving me sitting against the wall, scared out of my wits. Why had he suddenly hated me? I knew it had something to do with the tattoo, and being a wizard, I just didn’t know what. After watching him run away, I felt like he owed me an explanation. Maybe he couldn’t control what had just happened. Standing up, I followed him. He was just too intriguing and hot to leave alone.

*************

After trailing Adam for about ten minutes, I ran up to him and tapped him on the shoulder. “What?” He said in an aggravated tone of voice, as if he knew I had been following him. “’Uh, I kinda think you owe me an explanation. I’m sorry if it bothers you, but I don’t like guys who try to save me and then kill me themselves!” I felt my gaze fall deep into his eyes, but I tried not to let it happen. He stared at me for a few seconds, his head tilted to the side, like he couldn’t believe we were having this conversation. “OK, I guess it was kinda rude of me to just walk off like that.” He mimicked. “Pshh, kinda rude, ya think?” I mumbled under my breath. We began walking in the direction that we had come, in total silence. I finally couldn’t stand it. “So, um, where have you trained?” I asked, trying to make this conversation a little bit normal. Adam smiled slightly, shaking his head. “You know, you’re really persistent. It borders on being rude.” I felt myself looking down at my shoes, my face turning red. “I get that a lot.” Sighing, without turning to look at me, Adam said, “University of Cambridge, North sector.” “Oh, the warrior sector?” I blurted out. He turned on me suddenly, and then said, “Look, don’t say it out loud, ok? They might come after you again!” I silenced immediately, remembering Alexandre. “I came here… I was sent to… I felt like… Do you…” He cut off all his sentences, trying to speak clearly. I stared at him quizzically. Finally, he drew a deep breath. Sabrina, would you … like to … um,” Adam grew pale. Then he took a deep breath, and asked,” Would you like to go out with me tonight?” He said, trying to remain non-shalant. I stared at him, open-mouthed. Finally, I said, “Uh…wow. That’s a big change after, “I guess it was rude to walk off like that! You move kind fast, don’t you think?” I asked, grinning in my head at seeing him blush. Adam looked a little pissed off after I said that. “Well, I was just… Just forget it, ok?” He faltered, and took off down the perfectly manicured grass running. I almost regretted what I said, and wanted to call after him. But it was too late. I’d probably never see him again anyways. I sighed, and turned away, back the way I had come. I shouldn’t have wondered why guys could never work with me, but after these kind of situations, I already knew. I was a wizard, and Adam wasn’t. We only get along with our own kind. I grimaced as I remembered the horrid pain Alexandre had inflicted on me. I shouldn’t have been so unforgiving to Adam. He had saved me after all. It’d just happened so fast, I hadn’t been able to process it. As I walked down the hall, I kept seeing Adam’s face in my mind. Those delicious blue eyes. I shook my head, continuing to walk down the hall. After a while of walking, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and saw Megan, my second best friend, begin to walk next to me. “Hey, I just saw the hot dude you were talking to. Why’d you ditch him? He might have been the first ever to work out with you?!?!?!” Megan asked, a puzzled look in her eyes. “Well, yeah, he just…made fun of what I said, and then asked me to go out with him, after threatening me by pinning me against a wall, and insulting me. Can you believe that?” I questioned her. Megan grinned, and replied, “Well, I can see how that would irk you. I have an annoying brat sister like that who just has to have the last word in our conversations. Still, you should try to ask his forgiveness. He might be a good ally,” Megan concluded. I chuckled, and nodded my head slightly. I still wouldn’t talk to that horrible, insufferable Adam Lake ever again.

***************
THREE WEEKS LATER…

I bit down on my sandwich, trying to figure out what would be my next class, when a figure dropped into the seat next to me. I tried not to look Adam in the eyes, as he removed his food from the brown bag. There was a normal peanut butter and jelly sandwich, an apple, and a zip lock of…breadcrumbs???? I didn’t ask, but just kept eating my sandwich, trying not to look at his food. After twenty minutes of silence, I finally got up the courage to ask, “What do you want?” I tried to ask it in a non-committal tone, but I could tell he heard my pleading edge. “Well…first off, I’m sitting here because no one else is, second, no one will see me here, and third, I……guess……I think I should……apologize to you,” Adam admitted. I saw the blush on his face, despite the fact that he wore a hoodie. I almost smiled, though I tried to not let Adam see it. He looked so hot when he blushed. “Well then, go right ahead,” I answered quietly. Adam nodded, and turning toward me, looked into my eyes. And suddenly, I couldn’t remember anything. My name, where I lived, my school. It all melted into those eyes. “Well… I’m sorry for making fun of what you said, and for walking away, and being tempted to kill you, and for yelling. I think that’s the end of the list. I just feel like we could still be friends, even though you don’t want to go out with me.” Adam finished, rubbing the back of his neck with his palm. I grinned, and Adam flashed me one of his now famous blinding smiles, and asked, “So, uh, is there a way…I could redo that moment, when I asked you…well, you know,” Adam faltered, turning pink again. I loved to see him blush. “Well, yeah, you could try. But, time can’t be stopped or erased. Still, I’d love to be friends. Now, why do you need no one to see you?” I asked questioningly. Adam reached deep into the bag and replied, “So I could feed this, since I really can’t do it at home, and you’re used to weird stuff,” And he pulled a huge black raven our of a paper bag, just like a magic trick. I almost died in the horror.

“Adam, are you insane? That thing could get you so kicked out of school; it wouldn’t even be funny...and how is no one supposed to see that??? You’re so…” I trailed off as I watched it peck up a few crumbs, then stab its’ beak into Adam’s upper arm. “It’s…sucking your blood! Oh my god!” I whisper-groaned, covering my eyes. Adam laughed loudly. “Come on, Sabrina, it doesn’t even hurt! Think of it as if you just saw my pet bird just sucking my blood. No biggie, ‘kay?” Adam asked, still grinning. I just nodded, and continued eating my sandwich, not looking at the grotesque thing. First bell rang. I swallowed the last of the sandwich, and watched Adam place the animal back into the paper bag. I jumped up, gathered my things, and yelled, “See you after school?” I asked, desperately hoping he’d say the right answer. “Yep, totally!” Adam replied, ducking into the crowd. I trailed off the Math, trying to figure out what to make of Adam Lake, and not believing that he still wanted to hang out with me, after what had happened. It was almost too good to be true.

I walked through the hallways of school sullenly all day, wondering why I just couldn’t get Adam off my mind. I’d been unable to sleep for the last week. And I’d no idea why. It wasn’t like I had actually fallen in love with Adam, since we’d only met each other twice. I heaved a sigh, and walked to first period. I was so busy looking for my room, that I didn’t notice the flicker of silence throughout the hall. That is, until I dropped my book.
And realized it was the only sound in the entire hall.
Everyone was frozen in time.
I looked around eerily, and bent to pick up the book. Then, I twirled on my heel, doing a full 360. I almost screamed aloud. No one in the entire school was moving. Even the clocks had all stopped ticking. I was too much in shock to say anything, let alone wonder what was happening. Then, I noticed one person walking through the crowd of frozen bodies. Adam. “What…wha…what did you do?” I asked scathingly, dropping my books to shake him by the shoulders. He grinned, and I realized he was panting. “You…you said that…time couldn’t be stopped or erased for that moment to come back. Well, time is officially stopped.” Adam faltered, but surged on. He slowly grasped my left hand softly, brushing a piece of my bangs behind my ear. I felt a little surge of exhilaration as he touched me. “Sabrina Coral, would you do me the honor of accompanying me on a date, at one of the most beautiful diners in the world?” He finished, face as still as a stone. I burst out laughing. “Well, when you put it that way…oh my gosh, I can’t believe you did this for me! You…you’re such a jerk…sometimes,” I trailed off when I noticed the confused look on Adam’s face. “So, is that a yes?” He asked uncertainly. “Well let’s think…duh yeah!” I laughed; hugging his shoulders, then whispered, “And thanks for trying again with me. I do have my own problems….ug, I always say the wrong things!” He grinned, and nodded like he understood. His hand was still on my face, and for a minute, I thought he might kiss me, but he didn’t, he just moved away, then walked back down the hall, waving slightly. I waved back, and walked down the hall to my next class. When I had turned the corner, everything began surging again. And no one seemed to notice. Amazing!!!!
**********************

I rifled through my closet, trying to find a dress. I hadn’t worn one in ages. After hours of searching, I gave up. “I guess I’ll just have to wear pants,” I said. I flopped on the bed. Then I heard a soft knock on the door. “Come in?” My dad entered the room, holding something behind his back. “Hey Sab! I just though you might be looking for something special, because of the date. Did you find anything?” I sighed. “No, not even a work dress. I’m doomed.” He grinned, ruffling my hair. “Well then, you could probably use this.” From behind his back, he pulled a big box. It was labeled, Forever 21. I opened it. “Oh my gosh… Dad!! How can I ever repay you?” He flushed a little, and said, “You already have by being a great daughter” I smiled as he walked out the door. I looked good at the dress. It was dark blue, with shimmery fabric. It had straps, a knee-length skirt, and had little gems around the neckline. I lifted it out reverently of the box, and changed in a flurry. I sighed with happiness, and put on some makeup quickly. I didn’t do my hair. I brushed it and placed in it a little silver clip that my dad had given me on my sixteenth birthday. I chose to wear black strappy heels, which really set off the dress. I sighed softly, and only had to wait for a few minutes before Adam arrived. He rang the doorbell, and I waited anxiously as I my Dad ushered him in. I could hear them talking softly in the den.

************
(Adam)
Sabrina’s Dad was tall, well mannered, and to any woman’s standards, very good looking. I guess that’s where she inherited it. I sat across from him at the table, not saying anything. I think he was trying to think what to make of me. Finally, he spoke. “So, you saved my daughter from the demon, eh?” I looked down nervously. “Um, yes sir, I think so.” He was really solemn. “Well, then make sure she doesn’t get into any trouble, if you know what I mean, all right?” He asked me. “Yes, sir,” I said, almost feeling like saluting. “And I hope I can put my trust in you, son.” He sighed deeply, and I could see he didn’t want Sabrina to leave the premises. “If anything…supernatural does happen, leave the rest to Sabrina. She doesn’t know what kind of powers you have, yet.” “I’ll take care of her, don’t worry,” I said, trying to make him reassured. “Hmm, we’ll see,” he said, getting up, and walking out of the room behind me. I could feel him trying to get through the barriers in my mind. I stared at him, surprised that he knew what I was, because I could tell, he was finding a path through the walls and slowly figuring it out. He must be a very experienced wizard. “I’m ready,” Sabrina called softly, waiting at the bottom of the stairs. “W…wow!” was all I said. “Sabrina… be careful. Remember what I said, young man,” Mr. Coral said, kissing Sabrina’s forehead, and leaving the room. “I’ll be home by ten, Dad,” Sabrina shouted. “Alright, honey,” Mr. Coral said, turning on his heel back into the house. I sighed, because I knew, that as long as she lived, Sabrina would always love one more person than me.

***************
(Sabrina)

I climbed into Adam’s car, an amazingly cool midnight blue Mustang convertible, and we were off. There was an awkward silence in the car, and then we both said something at once. Laughing, he let me go first. “So, um, did you like my dad?” “Oh, yeah, he’s a great guy,” Adam said, smiling a little. “I kinda thought you guys wouldn’t get along, but it seems ok,” I said. We sat in silence for a while, and then I turned to him and said, “So, where are we going?” He grinned. “I told you already; remember? One of the most beautiful diners in the world?” “Oh. You were really serious?” I asked. “Um, yeah!” Adam said, grinning. I laughed too. After a half hour of driving, we pulled up in front of a fancy restaurant. “Wow! “ I said, as he helped me out of the car. I looked up at him, and suddenly realized he was looking down at me… I realized after a few minutes, that he was still holding my hand. “Um…oh, right. Shall we go?” We went inside, and had a delicious dinner. Then, as we were about to leave, the disco ball turned on, and dancing began. “Want to try?” Adam asked me. “Oh, no. Let’s wait for a slow one,” I suggested. “Cool!” He replied, grinning. We didn’t have to wait long. It was my favorite song, Love theme from the Titanic. Adam grinned, and reached out his hand to me. I took it, and after a while of stumbling around, he looked down sheepishly at me and said, “I… I don’t really know how to dance.” I laughed aloud. “Ok, first you put you hands around my waist, and I put my hands around your neck, and we move one- two-three, one- two – three. See?” But, he didn’t need to be told after I had said the put your arms around my waist part. We slow-danced awhile, and cautiously, I laid my head on his chest, and I felt him sigh. It was actually really fun. When the dance had finished, we said goodbye to some of our friends, and drove home. When we arrived at my house, Adam turned off the engine, and we sat in silence. Then I said, “Well, thanks for driving me. I had a really fun time.” “Y…yeah, me too,” he said stammering a little. “Is anything wrong?” I asked. He stared straight ahead for a while, silent. Then he leaned over the seats and kissed me. I closed my eyes, and put my hands in his hair. He laid his hands on my backbone, and they felt cold. I didn’t pull away. I could feel his heart beating against my chest. It was beating really fast. He sighed unhappily, and pulled away slowly. We both sat staring at each other, wide-eyed. “I… I…you’d better go,” Adam fumbled, his entire face red to the roots of his hair. “Yeah, uh, guess I better. Um, bye Adam.” I managed, my heart racing. “Yeah, bye, Sabrina,” Adam whispered. I looked deep into Adam’s eyes, and realized there was a lot more love there than I had first witnessed. I grinned, and hugged him tightly. Adam beamed. I walked to the curb and waved goodbye to him as he drove off. It was one of the best nights in my life.

************

My dad had decided to wait up for me. “SO, how’d it go?” He asked not looking up from his laptop computer. “Fine,” I said, in a dreamy voice. When he heard that tone, he looked up and asked. “Was everything…OK?” “Yeah, I had a great time,” I said, almost floating to my room. My dad called my name after me, but I was too entranced to care. I was in love. Oh no.

*************
When I awoke the next morning, I found that my father had left a note for me on the counter, asking me to call him at lunch break, probably wanting to talk about my date. I sighed, and waited for lunch hour to come.

Lunch hour came all too soon. I rang his number. “Hi honey!” “Hi dad.” “So, um how was your date?!?!?!” “Oh, dad, it was so great. We had a great time. You see, he was joking about Mickey’s Red Hots, and we had dinner at this fancy restaurant, and they had music and a disco ball, and we danced and ate and drank, and then we drove home, and… It was just a great night!” My dad was silent for a few minutes. Then, “So, did he…” “DAD!” I groaned over the phone. “Oh, I see that he did. Hmm, well, did you enjoy it?” “DAD!” I yelled over the receiver. Silence. Then I said, “Well, yeah, I guess I did.” “Great! Was there any… supernatural happenings?” “Oh, no way,” I said, waving away all my doubts and fears. “Well, so overall it was a… shall we say, satisfactory evening?” “Yes,” I said, quietly. “ Sounds like all well then, and I shall see you tonight!” “Ok, bye Dad!” As I hung up, I replayed the kiss in my mind. It had been so great. I hoped he’d do it again sometime.

************

As Adam drove away from Sabrina’s house, he felt exhilerated. Nothing could stop his relationship now. He was going steady. He could tell all his friends… and then he felt a huge crack on the back of his neck, and he blacked out.
A FEW HOURS LATER…

When Adam awakened, he felt like a million cymbals were chrashing in his skull. Then he opened his eyes, and found himself alone in a dark room. He tried to get up, but Adam found that he was tied to a chair, and his mouth was covered with ducktape. He groaned, and began trying to tilt his head and look for a sharp corner to cut the ropes on, when a voice crackled through the darkness. “Hello, Adam Lake! I guess you aren’t so tough now, are you, warrior boy?” Adam turned his head, and starred up in horror at a face he recognized all too well. Alexandre. When Alexandre saw Adam’s surprised look, he threw back his head and laughed scathingly. “ Now, you are the hunted and I am the hunter, the tables are turned, the Lion is after the mouse, the… oh never mind. Anyway, the reason I brought you here is to tell you that Sabrina Coral… is mine! You cannot save her now, and I am now going with the demon hoard ot attack and capture her. And this time, we will not fail, and her powers will be mine! Goodbye, Adam Lake!” Alexandre cried, as he uttered the last spell, and the ropes wound around Adam’s wrists by themselves. “Good! And make it tight!” Adam just about screamed aloud when the ropes almost cut off his circulation, though he didn’t give Alexandre the satisfaction of seeing him suffer. Alexandre laughed hissingly, walking slowly through the open door. He pause on the threshold and turned. “Oh, and Adam. I’ll remember to kiss her for you. Ta ta!” He laughed evilly, as Adam began to struggle again, yelling muffeled curses.

***********
Then Next Day…

I looked around school for Adam, but he wasn’t there. He didn’t show up the entire day. I sat on the steps, frustrated and worried. A few minutes later, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Vanessa came and sat down next to me. “Hey, I know you’re worried, but he wouldn’t just abandon you, and he’s a big boy. He can take care of himself. Don’t worry. Maybe he’s at home. Did you try calling him?” I sighed, and shook my head. Vanessa smiled. “Well, then I’m sure he’d at home, sick because of the perfume you wore.” I grinned and hit Vanessa playfully. She began to walk away, but I grabbed her arm. “Hey, thanks.” Vanessa smiled and waved the thank-you away.

*************

I dialed Adam’s home phone, but his mother answered, and said she hadn’t seen her all day. I grew worried again. “Where are you Adam? What happened?” I asked the blue sky. Then, as I looked at the sky, I noticed the tiny black, shimmering, dot. I gasped. “Oh, no. Alexandre,” I whispered, and ran into the school.I hoped this time my only protection was in a locker or a utility closet. Then I remembered my cell phone. “Dad,” I whispered mechanically, and dialed his number. “Hello,” came a tired voice over the reciever. “Dad, I’m in trouble. They’re here, and they’re after me, and Adam’s missing, and they will stop at nothing to get what they want, which is me. Dad, what do I do, what do I doooo!!!!” I began panicking. “Sab, stay calm. You need to find a secure stronghold. Which would be in this case, a small closet, preferably with two or more exits.” “Ok, ok, stay calm,” I told myself, as I walked throught the halways. But I began panicking when I heard the screaming and pieces of the building’s ceiling began falling. I began to run, and I could feel the demon hoards presence as they entered the building. “Dad, they can sence me, what should I do, WHAT SHOULD I DO!?!?!?!?!?!” “Run, Sabrina, RUN!” My dad screamed, all his composure gone. “Get somewhere, fast. Where is that boy when you need him?” I kept running, zigzagging in and out of halls, and doging around screaming kids, paralyzed with fear. “Dad, is an elevator a secure stronghold?” “Yeah, they can’t stand electricity, even though they give it off themselves in waves. GO!” I scrambled into an elevator, and pressed all the buttons at once, jamming it with the doors closed. “Ok, Dad, I’m in the elvator, stuck in between the 18th and 19th floors. Am I ok here?” But all I could hear was static. “Dad? DAAAAD!” No response. “Oh no. Where are you, Adam?” I questioned the empty room. Then I remembered his cell phone, and dialed, praying it would work. The line rang a few times, and then… “Yeah, this is Adam Lake, whaddya want?” I could tell by the grough and slightly accented reptillian voice that it was not Adam. “Um, I think I have the wrong number, uh, sorry.” “Hye, lady, you probably got the correct number, I just ain’t Adam, isn’t that right, Sabrina Corral?” I gasped. No. It couldn’t be. “Who are you?” The mocking voice laughed. “Let’s just say someone you’ve met before, eh?” The voice had changed from gruff, to mocking. “Alexandre! What have you done? Where is Adam?” He laughed loudly into the earpiece. “Let us just say that… hmm, he’s not enjoying watching your death, hahahahaaaa!!” I felt cold prickles of sweat creep up my neck. “What have you done?” I shrieked over the phone. Alexandre chuckled. “You know, I’m glad you’re so concerned with Adam’s welfare. But I’d be more concerned with your own. My pack is close at your heels. Run while you can, and surrender, for you will never beat me.” There was silence for a few miliseconds. Then I said, “Can’t I at least speak to him?” “How touching. The girl wants to hear her beloved’s voice. Quaint, really. I don’t see how you can, my dear, considering he’s about to die in… let’s see, six hours. That’s all you have, my dear. It’s a shame really, to see such a strong life lost. But don’t worry. All his willpower will be under my control, and he will be just another dead soul to add to my hoard!” Alexandre concluded, laughing scathingly. “NO! You can’t kill him, Alexandre, please! He’s not even involved in this, you only want me!” “Ohh, but you wouldn’t give your life to me if there was no bait, eh? Haha, don’t you worry, my dear. You have six hours left to save his life, and yours. And I’d go fast, because the hoard is outside, and the elevator will not stall forever. Good luck, fair one, and work fast to save his life!” He disconected, and I slammed the phone shut, screaming, “NOOOO!” I began sobbing, knowing both of our lives were at stake.

**************
I sat in shocked silence, trying to think of a way I could save both of us in time. Somehow, the demons had snuck into the elvator shaft, and had begun pulling the elvator chords down. I tried to think, but I couldn’t come up with any ideas. Then, I remembered that all elevators have an emergency phone, and looked for the hidden panel.
There wasn’t one.
Scratch.
I began pounding on the removable panel on the ceiling of the elvator. It gave away, and I climbed onto the side bars, hoisting myself up to the top. The shaft was tall and narrow, but it was my only escape. I gulped nervously, and began scaling the power lines, hand over hand. I could feel the sweat dripping down my hands. My deyed black bangs fell into my eyes, but I kept on going. Suddenly, I felt the power lines beginning to sway. The hoard had broken through the shaft floor, and I could hear their wild yells of triumph. I looked down, and I felt dizzy and sick. I climbed again, and reached a floor. But the power lines were in the middle of the shaft, and the door was far out to the right. I closed my eyes, got a good grip on the lines, and jumped into space.

*******************

I felt myself falling, and I dared to open my eyes. I could see the space twirling around me. I neared the next elvator deck, and steeled myself for the contact. I hit the deck running, trying not to think about my life being at stake. The hoard was making it’s way up. It didn’t help that they could fly, and I only had flying jet packs. I began running down the hall, my feet thudding against the floor.I looked for the exit, and rushed into a crevice, concealed by a fake palm tree. “ Cordalis,” I spoke, and turned invisable. I prayed that my magic would hold out, I ripped my jacket off, dropping it into the crevice, and took off running.

I could feel the hoard before I saw it. I gasped in horror. They were the size of a rinocerous each, barreling down the corridor, their black and red skin pulsing with evil. And there were twenty of them. I gulped and tried my cell phone connection.
It rang four times.
“HELLO??” an anxcious voice screamed. “Dad, oh, Dad, what do I do, they’re after me. I’m way past the elevator. The whole school is evacuated, I----“ “Sab, try to keep clam. Try to get Adam’s signal back. If you can reach him, you should be safe.” “Dad, Alexandres’ taken him hostage.” I heard my father swear loudly into the reciever. “Ok, go to the Montgomery’s house. Vannesa’s family can help you. Her father and I have talked.” “Ok, Dad, I’ll try,” I said, closing my eyes, and trying not to sound weak. I looked for an exit, and, not seeing one, leaped through the glass, and out of a 11th story window of my school. I began flying off, half the school already in flames. I zoomed past my house, and within seconds, I had Vanessa’s. I rang the doorbell, and was sweapt inside. Vanessa stood at the window, her black hair laying crazily about her head, fangs extended. “ Dang it, Sabrina, what the heck is going on?” I explained the whole story,and how the demons were on my trail. “Well, you’re lucky, girl, ‘cause my entire family is home, and we already sensed the demons when they arrived. Hurry, and get your weapons!” I nodded, and spoke my magic unlock words, revealing my double- bladed sword, with the black leather strapping and white ivory grips. It was made for slicing up evil. I also drew forth sixteen fireballs, and twenty three salt bags, hoping to blind the demons. Then, Vanessa, her six sisters and I, waited for the attack.

And did they attack!

They smashed through the windows, screaming like demons, which in this case, they were. We layed about ourselves, sliceing and whirling. I battled blindly, tying to blind and kill as many as I possibly could. As the girls continued to fight, I silently fled upsatirs, and jumped into the night sky, my arms extended. I didn’t really have wings, but I could pretend I did, and use my wizard powers to propel myself off. I flew fast, trying to sort out this whole mess in my mind. Then, my phone rang. My heart froze inside my chest for a second. Then, cautiously, I picked it up. “H..he… hello?” A scraping noise for what semed like an eternity sounded over the line. “ Hello, is this Sabrina?” “Oh my gosh, Adam, where have you been? I’ve been so worried!” Gasping on the other end. “I… can’t talk long. I only can for a minute because I’m supposed to have a 5 minute excersise. There is no possible way to beat him.” “I know, but I have allies, and I’ve gotta try,” I replied, tears blurring my vision. I knew beating Alexandre was almost a lost cause, so I realy didn’t have that much hope for our cause. “Oh, gosh, I gotta go. Keep tying Sab, and remember that I love you, Bye!” With that the connection went dead. I sitfled a sob, and decided to try and call my Dad again, hoping the demons weren’t going to attack him as well.
“Heyllo,” my Dad groaned into the receiver. “Dad, hello? Are you ok? Did they attack you? What’s happening?” “Sabrina, I can’t talk right now. You have to battle on your own. Try to get in touch with the rest of the wizard counsel. Your only hope now is to lay seige to the demon lair, which is on the equator, by the way. I know you need help, but most of this can be done on your own.” “DAD! I have no allies now! What’s so important that you can’t help me???” He sighed. “It’s just… umm, buisness. I want to help you, but I know that if I do, Alexandre will be on both our trails, and I want to come at this thing from a different angle. Good luck honey. I love you!” “Bye Dad,” I said, wondering if this weird message really came from him, or had the demon hoard attacked him?? I tried to sort out all these things in my mind, but I couldn’t come to a clear conclusion. I sighed, and began flying back the way I had come, to Vanessa’s house.

**************

I clasped and unclasped my hands nervously, a thin layer of sweat coating my forehead. Had I done the right thing, inviting the demon queen to my house, and then saying I still loved her on top of it? Being a wizard was hard, but being Sabrina’s father was even harder. I hadn’t told her about my past, or the relationship I had had with Camille, before I had met Sheila, Sabrina’s mother. I groaned inwardly, wondering if I had made the right choices in inviting her here. I almost started crying aloud when the doorbell rang. I softly when downstairs, and opened the door, my eyes closed. All I could here was silence. Then, “Well, are you going to leave me standing in the pouring rain all afternoon, Andrew?” I gulped nervously, and re-opened my eyes. She was wearing a deep red coat, with tiny white pearls… real pearls. “No. Come in,” I said, tying to swallow my anxsiety. “ Thank you. Ahhh! It’s so nice to have a case of De Ja Vu once in a long while, eh?” Camille said, sweeping off her hat. She really did sweep it off. Her blue-black tresses swept off her shoulders, just brushing her waist line. I almost gasped aloud, but turned my head in time, pretending to sneeze. “Oh, um, let me get that for you,” I said, taking Camille’s coat and feeling clumsy as usual around her. “Thank you darling. You’re a dear,” She said, dumping the ruby red coat onto me, and rolling the r’s. I nearly fell over when she turned around. Camille was wearing a deep scarlet blouse, which had medival sleeves. She wore inky black strapped heels, and her black pants had huge 80’s flares. Though the affect would have looked outrageous on any other woman, it dazzled Camille. She smiled at my open mouth, and I quickly shut it, half running up the stairs to stash away the coat. I came back down a little more collected, tying to plan the best way to approach the subject of my daughter’s danger. After a while of standing, I said, “Here, uh, would you like to eat now, or just talk?” She almost grinned. Smiles and grins were very unatural to Camille. “Andrew, you know I don’t eat, unless you happen to have any…red meat around the house?” I swallowed rather nervously again. “Right. I’ll get some drinks. Anything in particular?” “Anything is fine,” she said, pulling out a small dark red vile. I tried not to imagine what was in it. I got the drinks, and she poured the vile into hers, turning the martini red. I looked away, trying not to watch the gruesome sight. She took a sip, sighed happily, and asked, “So, what’s your angle today?” I stared at her, a little stunned. “My. . . angle?? No angle today, Cami,”I said quietly. “Just two friends having drinks, that’s all.” “Hmmm,” she said silently, trying not to show the grin that was edging it’s way onto her face. “You’re laughing at me,” I said, complaining. She tried to look surprised. “Me, laughing at you? What a joke!” She said, fully smiling now. “Come on, Camille, why are you laughing at me? You always are!” She finally exploded into laughter. “Alright, then, Andrew, yes, I’m laughing at you, because you’re such a bad liar. You even blush when you lie. It’s just so cute,really, that’s all!” She protested, trying to stop laughing now. I began laughing too, realizing that she actually thought it was funny. Finally, after we both had quieted down, she asked, “So, Andrew, what do you want?” I sighed, and slowly slipped my hand into hers, an act that I wasn’t all that unfarmiliar with. She sighed happily, and didn’t pull away. I stood up and spoke. “Camille, queen of the demon hoard, I must adress a subject of utmost urgency.” She rolled her eyes, and said, “Yes, Andrew, prince of the Wizard Hall of Grendar, what would you ask of me, however humble or mighty it may be?” I gulped, and said, “My daughter, Sabrina Coralline, is in terrible danger. The hoards of your nephew, Alexandre Hoshkabek are trying to. . . kill her.” The words came out slowly, like time itself was slowing down. She gasped. “What?!?!?!?! Andrew, why didn’t you tell me sooner? What happened?” We both dropped our formality, and sat back down on the couch. I resumed holding her hand, which felt particularly plesant. “I. . . I don’t know. She found a young man, who saved her and became her boyfriend, Adam Lake, and ever since he’s been around her, the hoard has been trying to kill her. I don’t understand, Cami. Why? She’s just a love-struck girl!” Camille lowered her head, staring intently into the glass of red-tinted martini. “ Andrew. . . I hate to tell you this. . . but... Adam Lake is . . . a. . . magic slayer.”

***********
“What?!?!?” It was my turn to be surprised. “You mean, he’s on the side of the humans?” She nodded her head sadly. “Yes. He left the demon hoard not long after the last counsel, because he said he would get his revenge on us for trying to kill his family, who were indangering the entire hoard. They began the interation with humans” She stopped speaking, and I leaned my head back against the couch. Magic Slayers are magical beings, mostly elf, warrior, or demon, who abandon their colony and befriened the humans, telling them vital secrets and information so that the humankind can overthrow the small clans of magic still alive in the world. Demons rarely join them, since they cannot be held by many bonds. I came out of my trance. Camille was slowing drinking her blood martini, but I could tell that she was thinking. Finally, she spoke. “Andrew, the only thing we can do now is try to get into contact with Sabrina. That way, if we do reach her, we can warn her about Adam, and tell her that Alexandre is not to be trusted either. He only wants her blood, which is not much more than Adam wants.” “I think you’re right,” I responded, trying to understand how my life had become so twisted. She said nothing for a while, and I unconsiously leaned my head on her shoulder. She smoothed my hair absent-mindedly. Then I realized what I was doing, and sprang off her. She did the same, but grinned and muttered, “Well, I didn’t think the attraction magic would work so well!” I felt my stomach starting to flip, and I stood up, turning on her. “Camielle, remember last time. . . and what happened? I thought we agreed on no romantic entanglements!” She grinned slyly, and then said, “Oh, Andrew, honestly, I’m truly sorry, but it just feels so natural to me that I can’t help it. Don’t you feel the same?” She whispered, moving towards me, until I was standing in the middle of the floor. “Now don’t start planting memories in my head. I know your seductive powers, Cami, and—“ But, she planted her mouth hard against mine, so I couldn’t say anything more. I grunted, annoyed, but I felt my arms going around, her, and as they did, all the memories came flooding back into my mind, like a pleastant dream that you forget about, but when you recall it, and you imagine it again. She and I on the beach, sleeping in the tent, a crown of purple forget-me-nots in her hair, chasing each other through the forest, running up a mountian, rolling down hills, kissing, and our break up, her crying, and getting so mad that she wanted to kill me, which she could have, me yelling about how much she never agreed with me, her storming off, saying she was never going to see me again, and me sitting in front of the fire, with tears streaming down my face, thinking about all that we had said, over and over again. She was still kissing me, and I was kissing her back. I felt her hands travel up my shirt, and mine were on her shoulderblades. I felt the waves of passion rolling over me like tsumanis, and her heart matching rhythm with mine. Finally, I could stand the draw no longer, and pulled away,flipping over the arm of the couch, and slamming hard into the wall. She was turned and resting her hand against the other wall so fast, I never knew we had stopped. We were both panting, as if we had run a mile race. I closed my eyes and rested my head against the wall, trying not to remember that the last time I had felt like this was with Sheila, nearly 15 years ago. Camille was smiling a little smugly, and she came over to where I was sitting, my back leaning against the wall. “So. . . you don’t want to have any romantic entanglements??” “Cami, I’m sorry. I. . . I didn’t want to awaken it all again.” I put my head into my hands “But you knew it was there, that you were smoldering the coals of our love in your heart?” I looked down into her eyes, those pale green inxoticating spheres, and said quietly, “Yes.” I felt like I had the first time I had fallen in love with this gorgeous woman. Camille smiled again, taking my hand slowly, her shoulder pressing against mine. I felt my face burning. “So, about your daughter. . . when are you gonna tell her about me? Did she even know. . . about before I mean?” I grimaced slightly. “No, I. . . haven’t told her about you.” She was silent again. “It took me a long time to find you, after you went away I mean. Is that why you left. . . because of us?” I looked at the floor again. “Yes. I couldn’t stay while you were there. I didn’t want you to find me, and have you know that I married Sheila.” She giggled. “Trust me, it took a long time to find out.” Then she grew a little serious and asked, “Did Sheila know about you and I?” I swallowed, then, “The night of our wedding, I told her. She didn’t believe the demon part till I showed her the teeth marks in my neck, from your brother.” I said, nudging her a little. She nodded seriously. “Devin was so mad that night he found us. I think he just didn’t want me to get hurt, you know?” “Yeah,” I said quietly, twining my hands with hers. “So,” I said, trying to resume my buisness-like approach, “ She’s in trouble. What can you do?” Camielle thought about it for a few minutes. Then, she said, “We can pay a visit to Alexandre and Adam. Alexandre has captured Adam in the Black Rock Mountains. We can reach them there, and find out what they’re after. They won’t hurt you while I’m around.” Cami whispered, grinning smugly. “And what makes you think I need protection?” I asked, looking at her. She grinned wickedly. Then she whipped out a short belt knife, and pinned my right sleeve to the wall so fast I didn’t even know it. She smiled. “Trust me, you’re pretty vulnerable.” And then she began kissing me again, and I couldn’t stop her, because she was leaning on one arm, and had pinned the other to the wall. I tried to pull away, but then I realized that I didn’t want to stop, and I began kissing her with passion. She giggled from inside my mouth, and I grinned. My stomach was a mass of butterflies, and my chest was hot. She pulled away slowly, taking the knife out of the wall, and I held her, her back resting against my chest. I kissed her neck,collapsing on the floor. She laid on top of me, and slipped her shoes off. I laughed, and said, “Well, we should probably stop.” I faltered as I looked into her eyes again. “Ha, at least your better jdgement has grown,” Camielle managed. Then she replied softly, “ Drew, I have waited a long time for this moment. I always knew we’d meet again.”

***************
A FEW HOURS LATER. . .

We sat by the fireplace, ate popcorn, and drank more. I had forgotten how much fun I used to have with Camielle. Finally, around one in the morning, she turned to me. “I should probably go,” Camielle said. I laughed quietly, and smoothed her hair, as she lay on my shoulder, half-asleep. “Do you need a ride?” I asked, almost as sleepily. She laughed. “Even if I did, you wouldn’t be able to stay up long enough to get home. No, I can drive.” She got up, and I went to get her coat. When I came back, she had replaced her shoes, and somehow found her hat again. She looked exactly like she had just entered. I grinned, and she smiled. I stepped closer to her, till we were only a few inches apart. “Um, well, here’s your coat,” I said, handing it to her, feeling clumsy again. “Thanks,” she said sleepily. Then, unexpectedly, she gave me a hug, and as I gave her one back, she never got back off me. She was leaning against me, her eyes closed, pretending to sleep, because I knew that she never did. I grinned again, and picked her up, carrying her up the stairs to the guest bedroom. I took her hat and coat, depositing them on the other guest bed with her shoes. “Goodnight, Cami. I love you,” I said, kissing her forehead. She smiled and muttered in her faked sleep. I went to my bedroom and fell asleep with my clothes on, too tired and happy to change.

****************

I stopped back at Vanessa’s house, but seeing the battle still raging, I flew off in the direction of the mountains, trying to located Adam by his cell phone signal. I then remembered the weird phone call my Dad had sent me. Why had he sounded so distracted? I decided to go to our house, and hope that my dad was safe.

SEVERAL HOURS LATER. . .

I ran up the steps and rang the doorbell.My Dad opened the boor, and then looked a little… scared? “Oh!! Sabrina! Um, hi, I didn’t think you were coming home… so soon!” I put my hands on my hips, and asked, “Dad, what are you hiding?” He turned a shade paler. “N…nu…nothing. Why do you think I’m hiding something?” he asked, faltering. “Because I’m still standing outside.” I said nervously. “Oh, right, come in. I’ll see if everything’s ready,” my dad said, walking deeper into the house. “Why would you need to get stuff ready. The battle’s still raging, and I was hoping you’ld be ready to go!” I added, grinning “G..go.. go where?” Dad asked, his face turning pink. “To the mountains! To find and save Adam, of course!” I said, reminding him “Oh. Um, well, Sab, I think plans are about to change,” my Dad said. And then, from behind the door, a woman appeared. A woman with long black hair, and drinking a glass of… blood? A demon woman!

**************

I almost fainted. Then, I spoke. “D…dad, did you know that there is a . . .um, demon in this house?” I asked shakily. Normally, you can’t see the demon’s fangs, unless you have some power of your own, and they only expose them when they want to. I must have looked about ready to faint, because the woman spoke. “Well, don’t stand there gaping. Drew, let’s carry her onto the couch. She looks like she’s stunned.” My father nodded. “You. . . you know this woman? Dad, how did you allow a demon into our house?!?” My voice had risen to a high-pitched scream. They had me moved to the couch, and then the lady offered me a glass of water, but I declined, wondering why my father wasn’t reaching for his grenade kit, which he kept in case of emergencies, yet to kill her. She grinned, which looked very weird, and said, “Sabrina, I suppose you are a little surprised, especially since we’re supposed to be enimies.” I nodded again, my face getting cold. “Well, I happen to have a. . . relationship with your father. I had it before he married your mother, and now we have met again. I am combining my forces with yours, and together, my nephew will be abolished!” I continued to stare at her, my mouth open. Finally, my father spoke. “Sab, I think we should talk about this. Camielle here has been my friend since we met in college. I. . . she was my girlfriend before college. But then, I realized the truth about her, and married your mother. That was the reason we moved from England, before our second move. I didn’t want to meet her again, for fear that she’d kill to get me back.” He stopped speaking and turned to the demon woman, who I had realized, was deathly beautiful. “I never would have killed your mother for your father. But, when I had heard that she died, I still was in love with your father, and so we met up again online. Now, he told me about your dilemma with Alexandre and Adam, and-“ “Wait, what do you mean, dilemma with Adam? We’re trying to resuce him!” The words came out of my mouth like venom. I felt a growing connection with this woman, but it was one that I didn’t want.” She smiled sadly. “Sabrina, Adam is a magic slayer.” I stared at her, wide-eyed. “WHAT??? No, you’re lying! Adam would never betray us!” I yelled, astonished. “I’m afraid you’re wrong this time, Sab. The only reason he saved you from Alexandre was so that they could both get you into their clutches. I’m really sorry, but it’s true. I figured it out when he came boasting of his exploits to the demon counsel two weeks ago.” Camielle added. I sat back, staring into space in shock. Then I burst into tears, and ran from the room.

*************
(Andrew)
I stared after Sabrina. “Well, that went well,” I mumbled under my breath. Camielle smiled weakly, but I could tell that she wasn’t too happy about it either. “She’s not going to accept this, whatever you say, Cami. She just needs to see it first hand.” “You’re right as usual Andrew. I think we should go to the mountain, pretend we’re saving Adam, and then ask him point blank.” “Hmmm,” I muttered, thinking. Cami kissed my cheek, smoothed my hair, and stood up. “Well, I should be going. Call me when we’re leaving for Black Rock, ‘kay?” “Got it. Bye, love,” I said, hugging her. She swept out, and I watched her go. She was such a great person, and I realized what I had missed without her. Not that the years with Sheila had been awful, but I loved them both so much. And now, I had to face my hysterical daughter, who had just been told that her boyfriend was out to kill her. I sighed, and trudged up the stairs, feeling both shameful and insecure. I wondered still if I had done the right thing.

****************
(Sabrina)

I buried my face in my pillow, stying to stifle my sobs. But I couldn’t. It was just too horrible to be true. My boyfriend, a magic slayer, my father, dating a demon woman, whom he said he had known before he met Mom, my life falling to pieces around me, and Adam was supposed to be killed today. There was a knock at the door. I wiped my eyes. “Come in.” I moaned. My father cracked open the door. I looked at him for a few seconds, then burst into tears again. He rushed to my side. “Sabrina, what can I say? I love you so much, and I loved your mom when she was alive. I still do, in my heart. But, the only way to find out the truth was to contact Camielle again. I almost chickened out of it, but I had a sneaking suspicion that he was already turned against us.” I stared up at him in surprise. “How did you know?” He almost grinned at my surprised look. “Well, when he came to our house, I began searching the barriers in his mind. I figured that Adam couldn’t tell how deep I actually looked, because he didn’t seem to have that strong of cover, though I knew you wouldn’t be able to tell. That’s why I’ve had every boyfriend you’ve ever had come to our house before you go, and that’s why I always will.” My jaw dropped. “Why? Why didn’t you tell me? He could have killed me after saving me from Alexandre!” My Dad sighed. “I know, I just didn’t want you to be unhappy. You have been for so long since mom died, and I just wanted you to—“My dad tried to tell me, but I cut him off. “Dad, I cannot believe this! You just let some demon lady into our house? I don’t even know her. Did Mom? Tell me everything that’s been going on!” I said loudly. So my father unfolded the story of his college years, how he had become friends with Camielle in college, began dating, and had almost married her, but too late had he found out about her demon powers. One night, when Camielle didn’t come back to the hoard, her brother, Devin, went in search of her. It had been the night of senior prom, and they had gone to her hotel. Devin was waiting for them. In a rage, he had berated Camielle, then launched into a ferocious battle, after which, he had bitten him. My Dad told me how a demon’s bite kills you with poison, and he had felt as if he had reached Hell itself, and all he could hear was the demonical laughter of the devils as they claimed his soul. Or so he thought. Then, after hours of agony, he had sunken into the murky depths of his mind. Hours later, he had awoken to the tear-stained face of his beloved, Camielle. He tried to speak, but no words came out. He had lost his voice, since Devin had stolen it, and had taken it with him. Camielle cried out the whole story, and how she had had to call her father, Lord Zarok, to come and beat some sense into Devin’s head. Her father had not wanted this, but he wanted Camielle to be happy. So, to restore my father’s voice, and to protect him from other attacks in case Devin returned, Camielle had planted the wizard stone into his chest, thereby giving him the magical powers. Many weeks later, after my father had gotten out of the hospital, with what they said, a bear bite wound from a hunting accident, Camielle came to visit him. She had sobbingly explained that her father had decreed that either Camielle stop seeing Andrew, or that Andrew marry Camielle, and through matrimony, he become a demon. Now, my father told me he hadn’t wanted any trouble, just a college romance, and had never expected to have to become a demon. Camielle knew he wasn’t sincere, and that was when they had had their biggest fight. Camielle had screamed and ranted and raved, but my father wouldn’t change his mind, and flew away in a rage, bellowing into the night, never to be seen or heard of by my father again. He was in torment for many nights after that, dreaming many sleepless and lonely hours of darkness of his lost love. Then, several months later, my father had met my mother, Sheila, and he had slowly fallen for her. She was so opposite of Camielle that it was frightening at times to think back on those months past. A year later, they were married, and a year after that, I had been born. But my father saw insight in my eyes when I was born, and he knew that I had inherited his wizard powers.

After this entire story, I felt so sorry for my Dad, that I didn’t say anything. He had this sad, far-away look in his eyes, and I knew he was thinking of Camielle and my mother again. Then, I said, “Wow. That’s a really sad and amazing story. I. . .guess she’s almost part of our family then, correct?” My father sighed deeply again, then answered, “Yes, she almost is.” “Aww, daddy,” I said, hugging him, and burying my face into the folds of his smoking jacket. He stroked my hair, and said softly, “I love you, Sabrina,” he whispered. I sighed. “I know, Dad,” I added. Then, I lifted my head, and asked, “Do you believe that Adam is really. . .” I trailed off when I saw the look in my father’s eyes. “I guess that’s a yes,” I replied to my own question. “Don’t you think Camielle could be covering up for herself, making up things about Adam?” My father just glared at me and shook his head no. Then, I asked,”So, does anyone know what’s going on at the school?” “No, I don’t at least. Maybe you should check that out, Sab.” I nodded, then began strapping on my weapons and boots. While I was doing so, the telephone rang. From the exclamations my dad was making, I could tell it was Camielle. I sighed, and felt like my dad and I were in the same boat. Both in love with betrayers.

Finally, when the call ended, my Dad returned to my room, and said, “Well,uh, that was Camielle, and she just wanted to let us know that whenever we’re ready to go “rescue” Adam, she is,” Dad said, making air quotes around the word rescue. I nodded again, though a bit uncomfortably. Then, I turned to my father, and said, “Dad, I’ll go check out the school. You stay here and guard the home fort.” “Right,” he said, going out. I exited and cut through traffic to reach school in my old beat up pick-up truck, which was fading gray, by the way, and reached the school in time to see fire teams, and SWAT all over the place. I headed into the building, where normal life seemed to be conducted, and tried to get the latest news. The building was a shables, parts of the roof were gone, and some of the farther away attachments were still smoking fire. The elevator shaft was completely collased. The entire building had been destructed in some way. Surprisingly, Valerie, the head cheer leader who I met on the roof, briefed me on what was going on. “Well, actually, they said that an arsonist team began shooting and filling the place with metal just before school closed.” She suddenly began sizing me up. Her eyes narrowed, and she said in a sassy voice, “Why would you want to know? Weren’t you there?” I wasn’t particulary stunned by her attitude, it was just the look in her eyes. Like she knew something more about it than she was saying. “Um, no actually, I WAS there, but it seemed to me that the attackers were after someone. They seemed to be going in the general direction of the elevators,” I murmured quietly. Valerie looked stunned by what I had just said, and I wondered if I had said too much. “Well! Look who knows so much! I’ll just have to correct that!” And with those words, Valerie lifted her hands, saying, “Largitaki Herperess.” That means freeze and mind wipe in vampirian. I almost forgot to incantate, “Sliven!” to demolish the spell, but did so in the nick of time, shattering it. We both stared at each other in momentary astonishment. “You were the one” Valerie hissed, her voice becoming dangerous and cold. “ And you were the one who reported me to Alexandre! You. . .demon!” I accused. She sniffed, some of her old smuggness returning. “Actually, Adam was reporting you. I happen to be Alexandre’s girlfriend. Oh, and by the way, I actually am a werepire. I’m a mix through my parents. So twice as much bad news for you, girly,” Valerie retorted. I was still too stunned to speak. “Oh, so. . .Adam was reporting me? I don’t believe a word of it, you dog!” She chuckled under her breath. “Ahh, yes, how dissapointing, to find out that your lover was really against you all along!” Valerie taunted “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” I screamed at the top of my lungs, twirling off the ground, while flipping onto Valerie’s back. She screeched, which was not a pleasant sound, her claws extended. She was an expert fighter,lashing out with her talons, and yelling every spell and curse I knew. It took all my will power to fend her off. I whipped out my silver double-bladed knife, and began slashing at her back, which was defenseless since I was on top of her. Valerie screeched in pain, and immediately, two other forms, garbed in black, formed in a cloud of mist in front of us. “About time you got here!” Valerie yelled at the two people. After the green and white smog had cleared, I recognized the two men. Alexandre and Adam. All three at one time! I knew I couldn’t take them all. It was then that I truly realized that Adam was on their side, and my heart grew cold. “You betrayed me!” I growled slowly at Adam, who smirked and said, “ A small price I have to pay for the glory I am about to receive.” I couldn’t believe him. “What?! You mean, you don’t even care?” I yelled, shocked. For a split second, I saw a look of pain cross his features, like it was killing him to say this. “I must. . .be loyal to our cause. Don’t you understand?” He seemed to be trying to tell me a message. I didn’t get it. Valerie smirked. “Alexandre, it looks like they need a few minutes alone. Adam, you can explain the whole thing to her. Don’t get too hard on her though. We want her as the bait for her father, mwhahaha!!” Valerie chortled. I rolled off Valerie’s back, and sat with my hands on the floor, arms extended behind me. Let them think that I was their prisoner…for now. Adam nodded fiercly to Valerie’s command, keeping his eyes fixed on me. Alexandre grinned wickedly, and waltzed out of the room after Valerie. As soon as they had gone, I stood staring at Adam, undecidedly. I wasn’t sure if he was pretending for them, or acting for me. A look of agony engulfed his eyes, and he kneeled on one knee in front of me. He spoke slowly, speaking low to avoid eavesdropping. “Sabrina. . .I--- I had to do it. I couldn’t just ignore them, or they would have killed me. I was desperate, and I needed to convince them. Don’t you realize what I’ve been through. . .for us?” He grew silent again, his eyes boring into me, filled with fire and longing. I could stand it no longer. I ran into his arms, and he held me close. He kissed my face, my mouth, my neck, and he kept whispering, “Sabrina!” in this intoxicated sounding tone. Then, he wispered in a low voice, “Sabrina, I. . .I don’t want to be any part of them! They’re forcing me to! I love you, and I’d never betray you! You’ve got to believe me!” “But what about what Camielle said?” I questioned urgently. He was silent. Then, he said, looking at the ground, “It. . .it’s all true. I had to, Sabrina! Believe me!” But I was already gasping in horror of what Adam had done. “Then SHE’S not lying! Ohhhh, Adam what have you done?!?!?!” I groaned. Adam looked at me painfully. I groaned and pushed him away. I tried to think fast, but nothing came to mind. I knew I couldn’t last for long, battling three opponents. I glared at Adam as Alexandre and Valerie filed back into the room. Both were smirking. “So, now you see the whole plan of world domination before you! Haha!” I nodded, trying to keep it vague, because Adam really hadn’t told me any plan. “Well, we haven’t got time to stand around, so say good bye to the world, Sabrina Coral!” Valerie said, raising her hands as if to utter a killing spell. “Um, actually,” I interupted, “You’ve been saying my name wrong this whole time.” “Wha-what?!?!?” Alexandre winced. Swiftly, he turned on Adam. “You mean. . .Adam, you fool! We don’t know her real name!!” I smirked. “No real name…no control. Unless you know my real name, you can never control or beat me by magic. So in the end, I have won, and you… have lost.” Valerie snarled, and began circling me. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Alexandre lunge forward, claws extended, ready to pounce on me. Then, like lightning, Adam whirled on him, snarling, yelling, and twisting his shoulder backwards at the same time. I heard a loud, unpleasant pop sound. ”Oh, so you’re on my side now, eh Adam?!” I shrieked, as Adam began fighting Alexandre. “Yeah, Sab, so what?” Adam hollered back, like this was a normal every day occurrence. “Well, if that’s not a lie, stay on my side till the end, got it?" I bellowed. Alexandre screeched, and dug his claws into Adam’s chest, while they rolled on the ground. Adam pulled away, but I had no time to watch their battle, since Valerie was whipping her teeth in my face. I pivoted in the air, kicking Valerie squarley in the jaw, knocking her out. Then, I flipped, and did a hand-stand off Alexandre’s shoulders, boweling him over, as well as digging my nails in. “Adam, run!” I screamed, as Alexandre wailed in pain. Adam, frozen in shock, couldn’t seem to hear what I had just said. Valerie was coming to fast, and I knew I couldn’t hold them both off alone. Then Adam lunged into action. He helixed off the ground, and smashed into Valerie, who had just begun to get off the earth. I was having trouble with Alexandre, as he was bigger and stronger than me. I was howeling curses at the top of my lungs, smashing him in the face again, and again. But he just kept laughing. A cold sweat broke out on my forehead. Was it possible that Alexandre couldn’t be killed? Or was I just imagining things. I had no time to process my thoughts, since he rolled off his back, and on top of me, pinning me on the roof with his knees in my arms. He was grinning, though his face was dripping with blood and sweat. “So,” he hissed, breathing heavily, “You couldn’t. . .even beat up a poor demon boy. How quaint! And now, Sabrina, to your death!” Alexandre yelled, as my head was jerked back by the controlling power. “Haha! I thought you were lying about that not knowing your name bit. Good bye, my dear!” He shreiked, as Adam, yelled, “NO!” And whirled into Alexandre. Alexandre smiled evilly, and bit my wrist. My vision started to go, and a seething pain crept up my arm. I began shreiking at the top of my lungs , as Adam karate-choped Alexandre in the neck, knocked him out, and ran to my side. “No, No NOOOO!” He screamed, tears of fury splashing down his face. I felt my right arm go numb, and continued to scream. “ I have to get help,” Adam said to himself, trying to remain calm. Then, I wondered if my eyes were playing tricks on me, or was the sky flashing? I couldn’t think, all I could hear was a terrific roaring sound in my ears. I heard Adam say, “Hurry, , she doesn’t have much time. How did you find us?” I felt a boiling fire in my veins, and the roaring was all around me. My ears were filled with a terrific squealing, and then, I heard a calming voice. “Sabrina, you’re all right. Everything’s gonna be fine.” I tried to make out who was talking, but couldn’t see anything except blackness. It had sounded like a woman’s voice. Then, I sunk into a blazing fire, a freezing rain, and murcky blackness.

*******************

I opened my eyes, and looking around in surprise. I was in my own room. I thought I would be dead by now. I looked around, and saw only bright light. Then, I heard, “Oh, thank goodness, Sabrina’s alive! Drew, come quick! Adam, wake up! How are you dear? Do you feel any side affects?” A motherly voice asked. “Wha-who. . .who are you?” I asked uncertainly. My vision was mixing the image before me. Finally, I focused. “Camielle,” I groaned. She smiled, wiped something off of her face, and grinned. “Sabrina, oh darling, I can’t believe it! You’re alive! At first, when I arrived, you were pretty far gone, and I thought you wouldn’t make it but-“ She stopped talking, and another face crammed itself into my vision. “ Sabrina,” I heard a breathless, manly voice. I grinned. “Daddy,” I whispered, and wrapped my arms around him, as he carressed my hair. My vision blurred, and I could tell from his unsteady voice that he had been crying. “I. . . I thought I lost you,” His voice trembled, and I hugged him tighter, but gasped in pain as I felt the bite in my arm. The pain should have been immense, but I think I was on pain killers, so it fought some of it off. Then, he held me at arm’s length. “Don’t ever, ever go anywhere alone again! Anywhere!! Understand? You should never have gone back to the school. If we hadn’t come,and Camielle hadn’t sucked the poison out of your veins, you would be. . . I can’t even say it. “ The tears spilled over, and my dad kissed my face, leaving wet traces on it. I tried to smile, but his face was too grave. Then, he and Camielle said their farewells, and walked out of the room. A moment later, Adam entered. He had a long cut running the length of his forehead. His left eye was black, and there was a deep gash on his chin. I looked him over, and his right hand seemed broken. “From Valerie,” were his first words. I nodded gravely, then, stared up at him. Adam stood gazing at me, then rushed to my side, gathering me into his embrace. I could feel his heart beating fast. Then, after a long while, Adam choked out, “I. . .I love you Sabrina,” trying to keep back. . . tears? “Wait, why are you crying? What happened? Is something wrong?” I asked, bewildered. Adam tried to grin, but when he saw my perplexed look, he began sobbing. I grabbed his shoulders, shaking them slightly. “Adam, what the heck is going on?” He just shook his head, his face buried in his good hand. I sighed, and rubbed his back for a long while. Then, he turned his tear-streaked face to me, and whispered, “They. . . your dad…and Camielle…they…they don’t believe I changed!” My mouth dropped open. “They WHAT?!?!? How couldn’t they not believe you? Adam, you saved my life, how could they think that you’re . . .” I stopped short. Adam nodded pitifully. “I was, Sabrina, I was with them! I can’t believe what a jerky boyfriend I turned out to be. And now your Dad is kicking me out and--” “WHAT-- No, you’re the greatest guy a girl could have! Why would they do this?!?!?” I asked, hugging him. I kissed him softly, and said, “I’ll talk to them. Why don’t you rest? You’ve probably been up the entire night watching over me.” Adam grinned thankfully, but I could tell that he was still sad, angry and depressed. I sighed, closing the door, and walked shakily into the living room, where my Dad and Camielle were talking and sipping drinks. I stood in front of the fireplace, which carried a blazing fire, my arms limp at my sides since the right one was bandaged up to the elbow. At first, they didn’t seem to notice me, but then, Camielle slowly turned her head, and asked. “What?” in a smooth voice. “ How. . .how could you?” I asked, suffocating on my own words. “How could she what, dear?” My father asked, innocently. “You both condemned Adam. . . to exile? Did the wizard councel hear about this? Are you both even allowed—“ I was cut short by my father, who interjected, “Whoa, wait, hold the phone! Sabrina,we aren’t condemning him. We’re just trying to give him a brake from all the hustle and bustle of our lives! He just can’t see you for a year, that’s all!” “A YEAR?!?!?!” I screamed, making the chandelier shake. “ I can’t live without him for a whole year!! What are you thinking?” My father stood up, facing me down. “He could still be reporting to the rebels, that’s what we’re thinking, young lady. And don’t shout at me again!” He replied, roaring. I was silenced by his monstrous attitude. Finally, Camielle spoke. “Well, my dear, I think the point has been made quite clear that you can’t live without Adam, correct?” I shook my head and shrugged, trying to make the answer indefinite. “Alexandre is still lurking out there, trying to foil our plans, and we can’t have him thwarting our tactics through an informer.” “Wait, back up. Alexandre is? Didn’t you two kill him last night?” I asked. Both looked grave. “No, he escaped before we arrived on the scene. He slashed Adam’s back with his poison dagger, so that when we finally arrived, you were laying on the ground, with Adam slumped over you. Camielle was able to heal him up, luckily. He’ll still have a few nasty scars though. You both seemed dead for sure. We haven’t killed him, and we don’t know where he’s gone. So, the safest way to keep you both alive is to separate you.” I was in disbelief of this whole statement. “So, you killed Valerie, but you couldn’t kill Alexandre?” I asked, faltering. “Well, Sabrina, actually, Valerie was dead by the time we arrived. There was a trail of blood leading into the woods, from the broken nose he had, and we trailed, finding her dead there. So, there you have it,” Camielle ended. I sighed in deisbelief. “How. . .how could you punish Adam for all this? He’s my protector, and no thanks to Alexandre, he was morphed into helping them!” My father was silent for a short while, then he nodded. “Yes, I know, Sabrina, I will take that into consideration, but I have to always think of your welfare first.” “I know, but at least shorten the time frame. How about two months?” I pleaded. My father groaned, slapping his forehead. “That is much too short, Sabrina, and both of you know it! I don’t trust that boy, as long as he remains in this house!” I gaped at them, then ran from the room. I darted into my room, slamming the door shut. Adam had already departed to his own room, and I flopped on the bed, staring at the ceiliing. “Alexandre, what have you done?” I whispered.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

TWO YEARS LATER. . .
I figured I had fallen asleep on my bed, because when I awoke, the sky was light again. I grinned mishceviously, and crept out of the bed, slipping into the hallway, and then skipping out onto the front porch. I had to get a breath of fresh air, and I couldn’t help but wonder where Adam was at this very moment, looking at the same moon as me. I stood staring at the sky for a minute, then turned around to find Adam’s face an inch away from mine. I was silent as well as surprised. Then, screaming with joy, I hugged him hard. He laughed, and said, “Hi.” “Hi,” I whispered back. Suddenly, he picked my up, throuwing me over his shoulder like a sack of potatoes, and carrying me inside. “Whoa, hey, wait a minute, I just went outside for a few seconds.” I giggled, and Adam laughed quietly. Then, he dumped my back into my bed. I sighed, crossing my arms over my chest. Adam grinned, and I exhaled noisily, trying to remain mad at him. Finally, he said, “So, Sab, how’s your life?” I laughed, and played along. “Well, my boyfriend and I have concured the world, I am finishing school in a month, and—“ I stopped short. “Adam, why did you ask me that?” I questioned suddenly. “It’s just a game,” he said, and instantly, I was on my guard. Adam had told me that if he ever responded to that question with anything other than, “I dunno,” the person who had asked the question was a perfect copy. I immediatley thought of Alexandre. I felt under the blandet for my half silver, half steel knife, Demon-Slayer, though I had never actually used it on anyone accept Valerie. The fake Adam grinned again, and I wondered what had happened to the real Adam, now that someone was using an Adam mask. I smiled. “So, Adam, I read in your letters that you loved that new boarding school you were going to. How’s that goin’?” I asked, though there never was any boarding school. Adam had been exiled from me for nearly over two years now, and I missed him so bad. He was exiled because of Alexandre. The maniac. I was dangling this guy on a string now, his face was so white, I thought his mask would just melt away. I giggled, something I never do, for affect. “So,” I asked quietly, “When are we gonna go?” “G…ggg.go? Go w..wh. where?” I laughed. “To breakfast, silly! We have to eat, and Dad and Camielle are waiting.” Total lie on my part. “Oh, right.” The guy laughed, and stood up. “Well, let’s go, Sabrina, lead the way!” I smiled, and got of the bed. Then, I flipped the sword behind my back, and brought it up to his throat. I grabbed a bunch of his hair, and dragged his head back, making him look up at me. “So, impersonator, where’s Adam?” The fake laughed, a jeering and crazy laugh. “I should think you could guess who I am by now, my deeeeearrrrr!” The rolling “r”s gave it away. “Alexandre,” I breathed, too scared to react. He laughed, pulling off Adam’s mask, and showing his real, smushed-up face. The punching had done something, then. I smirked, and he winced, then snarled, “Yes, Adam is still far away, with my minions watching over him. So, my pretty pet, if you slice me up, I shall flick my wrist, and he shall die in a split second.” I was surprised that he had found Adam, I mean, even I didn’t know where Adam had been sent by my Dad, for fear that I would try to follow him. Then, I heard foot-steps in the hall. I snickered. “Well, I wanted to relish killing you slowly, but I guess I’ll have to do it fast.” And with that, I saw the first look of fear ever in Alexandre’s eyes. I drew back the sword slowly, sweat prickling on my forehead. I saw no pleading in his eyes. Only the bad deeds he had comitted. He smirked. “There goes Adam. Ahh, such a pitty that he had to die so young. I thought you really loved him. Well, I guess you’ll be sad to know that he is back as my informer again, dearie, and you can’t get him this time!! HA!” Alexandre screamed in a harsh tone. “I don’t believe you, you rat! And so you shall die!” He laughed, and I almost started to ask if he really had gotten Adam, but grunted in disgust, and said, “Die, son of filth!” Then, I lunged forward and sliced off his head. Alexandre died without mercy, but he had left me with thoughts of tumoil and indecision.
And a church bell tolled the hour.
It was six in the morning.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I had fallen asleep again after slaying Alexandre, and had been surprisingly exhausted. I guess I couldn’t actually believe I had finally killed him. But the idea of Adam turning to the demon and human’s sides was to great a thought for me. I exhaled slowly, breathing in the cool air that was coming in through the window. I climbed out of bed, and changed my clothes, realizing that the body of Alexandre had desintegrated. When I finally made my way downstairs, I sat on the sofa, waiting for my Dad to wake up. He was still asleep from an interview with a client, and it was already 10:00am. I decided to call up Camielle and ask what was going on with her, then spring the surprise of killing Alexandre to her. Her phone rang three times, then a drowsy, voice answered, “Hello?” “Hi Cami, it’s Sabrina, and I just wanted to call you up on this fine morning!” “Mhmmmm,” Camielle murmered. I could hear voices in the backround. I sighed, knowing my father had gone there after his late call. Or maybe she had been the “client” he was going to see. “Camielle, I have some epic news!” “What?!?!” She was instantly awake. “Are you ready for this? Make sure you’re sitting.” “Ok,ok, I’m ready. What?” “Alexandre is dead!!!” Silence. Then wild screams of joy lit the room. I guess she had put it on speaker phone. I could hear my dad yelling too. I smiled in satisfaction. “Yeah, I know, so cool. He just showed up, trying to masquerade as Adam, and I figured it out through our code.” More joyful screaming. Finally, after they had quieted down, Dad spoke. “Well, you guessed I was here, correct?” I shrugged over the line. Then, I said, “Ok, well I just wanted to tell you. I’ll leave you alone now, ‘kay? Bye all!” I smiled, hanging up, and sat on the couch again. I couldn’t believe that their wedding would be in only three weeks. I was supposed to be the maid of honor, and as of yet, there was no best man. I thought about Adam, and my vision started to swim. I couldn’t even think of him and not cry. At last, I broke down into heartfelt sobs. I hadn’t seen him in two years, and Alexandre’ mask had brought him back to my mind. I sometimes couldn’t even recall what his face looked like. It was scary. I wiped away my tears, and stood, streching. I had no time to think of him, as there were many plans to be made for the wedding. I wasn’t going to fantacise about him any more. My father had said that he would call Adam when he wanted him back. I sniffed, and began cleaning up the house, trying to think up something to use my time.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I exhaled deeply, trying to be patient as Camielle zipped up my dress. “Suck in your stomach, Sabrina, or you’ll never fit.” “Well, why’d we make it so tight?” She sighed in exasperation. “When we had the fitting, it sized you perfectly.” I was silenced by that blunt statement. Over all though, I had thought Camielle had done a marvelous job, considering she had planned her own wedding. Our dresses were midnight blue, with a shimmery overlay, and a necklace of sparkling tiger’s eyes at all of our throats. We all were to carry a boquet of while roses, with baby zinnia buds intertwined. Every other maid of honor wore while high-heels, but mine were electric silver, to match the bride’s own. I couldn’t have thought of a better match. Then, I screeched in pain, as Camielle finally zippered the dress. “Ug, what a relief!” She gasped, and sat on the floor, panting. My face turned pink. “Well, I can’t help eating all the chocalate around out house. I mean, who else would eat it if I didn’t?” She laughed, and I grinned. Then, I helped her gather all the extra items that were on her dressing table. She wasn’t dressed yet, which seemed weird to me, but I thought she still looked nice in her rolled up kacki pants, and yellow shirt. I twirled around, my hair not moving around me, which seemed weird. Camielle had done it into a large bun at the back of my head, with two curled locks of hair on either side of it. Then, as we were working, the doorbell rang. I stared at Camielle inquisitively. She shrugged. “Oh, that might be more guests dropping gifts off. Can you get that? I have to go take a shower, and I am gonna be really beat if I keep having to answer the door.” I nodded, and ran down a flight of stairs, slipping off my heels as I went. I smoothed my dress as the doorbell rang again. I growled in annoyance, and opened the door, eyes shut. “If you’re looking for my future step-mother, she’s not avaliable, but I can give you her mess—“ “Whoa. You look. . . gorgeous!” A distinct male voice commented. My blood froze. I slowly opened my eyes, wondering if I was dreaming. Before me, hot as ever, stood…”ADAM?!?!?!?! Oh my God!!! AAAAHHHHH!!” I screamed, jumping on him. He laughed really loudly, and fell into the hall way. He was laughing like the whole thing was hilarious, and I was still screaming. Finally, he claped his hand over my mouth. “Ok, Sab, you can shut up now!” “Oh,” I said. He grinned, holding me on his chest. “I cannot believe this!” My voice began rising again. “It’s like. . . oh my gosh you’re here! Adam, I—“ But he rolled his eyes, and planted his mouth against mine. All that time of waiting was washed away. I felt my chest grow hot, and I could tell he was grinning. I couldn’t really tell, cause my eyes were closed, but he was grinning. He smelled like aftershave, and fresh rain. He was warm and tempting. My hands were in his hair, and his were on my back. It was a long time before he finally released me, and pressed my head onto his shoulder. “Oh, my. . . goodness! Adam?” We sprang off each other, as Camielle ran down the stairs, shaking with silent mirth. Then, she burst out laughing. And, so did I. Then, Adam joined in. After we stopped much later, Adam was panting with merriment. “Well, come in. I hope you’re ready?” Adam nodded. I looked at Camielle, puzzled. “Ready? For what?” She grinned, then said, “I guess you were so surprised, that you didn’t notice Adam’s clothes.” I looked him over, and realized that he was wearing black dress shoes, and a white suit. I covered my mouth with my hands as realization dawned on me. “Oh my gosh, you’re the best man!” Adam grinned, enjoying the guessing game. “Nope. Try again.” I thought hard. “You’re one of the groom’s escorts?” He smiled, and I knew I hadn’t guessed it. By this time, Camielle had slipped away, and Adam grabbed my hands again. He began looking at them, not making eye contact, stroking them softly. He was deathly serious now. I looked at him, puzzled. He finally looked up at me, and his eyes danced. “Sabrina,” He said, his voice low. “Ever since I saved you two years ago, I’ve been in love with you.” I nodded. “Well,” He gulped nervously. “Now that you’re twenty, and I’m twenty-two, I’ve wanted to know your loyalty to me.” “Ok?” I asked, the meaning not clear. “So, will you do something for me?” Adam asked again. “Anything. . .within reason.” I responded. He grinned, and said, “Then, close your eyes.” I did, and could hear his deep breathing. A few seconds later, he said, “Ok, open.” I did, and saw his face again. Then, he held up my hand, and I saw a star-shaped, red rudy ring on my left ring finger. Then, I slowly whispered, “Oh. . .my. . .God.” He looked into my eyes, a smile tugging at his mouth, and asked, “Will you marry me?” I was dumbstruck for a split second. Then, my mouth dropped open in astonishment, and I began screaming, “AAAAHHHH!!!!!!” again. Adam grabbed my waist, twirling me around the living room. Camielle rushed in, and joined us as we twirled. Finally, all three of us landed abruptly on the couch, breathless, as I wrapped my arms around Adam’s neck, whispering, “Yes, yes yes!” I kissed him again, and I could feel the excitement pounding on his lips. We parted after a long while, and I rested my head on his shoulder. Then, Camielle coughed, and we remembered that she was still there. “Um, Adam, dear, were you planning on telling Sabrina when the wedding is to be?” He grinned again, and said, “Our wedding’s today. . . with your dad and…mom.” I stared at them both, aghast. I finally turned, and hugged Camielle. “I cannot believe you and Dad both kept this secret from me so well! And to think that I thought we were doing my hair too early!” She laughed, and hugged us both, first Adam, and then me. “I am so happy that this has worked out at last. I almost can’t believe this is happening!” I grinned, and then said, “Oh my gosh, Camielle, aren’t you supposed to get ready?” “Oh my, I amost forgot! What time is it?” And she raced off to get ready. I smiled, then turned my face towards Adam. He grinned, and kissed me slowly. I closed my eyes, and savored it. I pulled away a little, and he kissed my neck. I reached for his hand, and realized that it was wet. “Whoa, Adam, are you ok?” He nodded, wincing, and said, “I guess I’m just a little nervous, that’s all. I mean, getting married is a big thing!” I nodded seriously. “I know. But I think after all that we’ve been through together, we can do it.” I resolved. Adam agreed, leaning his head against the couch. I sighed, and stroked his hair. He grinned, and then asked, “Hey, I guess you didn’t notice, but do you notice anything different about me?” I looked him over for the first time. He was wearing a white suit, of course, and had his white tie, and black shoes. He had a slight tan, and…. “No way! You got an earring?” He grinned, and said, “No, look closer.” I did, and the realization hit me. I gasped. “Oh my gosh! You dyed your hair!!!! You’re blond, and I didn’t even notice!” He grinned, and shrugged. “Well, you look way hotter as a blond than a brunet, “ I concluded, while he blushed. We sat for a while on the couch, and then Camielle called, “Sabrina!!” down the stairs. I was sorry to leave Adam, because I wished I could be by his side forever. I trudged upstairs, where Camielle was pulling out her wedding dress. I gasped in awe when I saw it. It was white, a brilliant white, with cap sleeves. There were lines of shimmering stones trailing down the sides, and the train was at least a yard long. “Ohhhh! Camielle, it’s beautiful! Where did you buy this?” She smiled, and for the first time today, I saw a slight trace of sadness in her eyes. “It was my mother’s. The magician’s of the clan crafted it from moonlight beams and rain.” “Wow! It’s so beautiful! I’m sure my Dad will think you look so beautiful in it!” She blushed, and I knew she was thinking of another time when my father had thought she would look beautiful in what was probably this same wedding dress. I smiled, and hugged Camielle. We stood like that for a long time, not speaking. Then, I said, “Well, I’d better go back downstairs and see how Adam’s doing!” Camielle smiled, and then said, “I thought you were going to help me the entire day! You said so at breakfast!” “Oh, right,” I said, my hopes falling. She smiled slightly, and then, after she had put he wedding dress on, I zipped her. She truly looked like a spring bride. Then, she took another long box off the bed, and opened it. It was her veil. The fabric was like no other. It was white in some lights, mother-of-pearl in others. “It’s so stunning! I like it even more than the dress.” Camielle nodded, and put it on over her now waist legnth black hair, which made the veil look even more wonderful on her. At that exact moment, Adam came up the stairs. He almost fell over him surprise. It took him a while to recover from his initial shock. “W…well…well…wow, you look. . .nice…Camielle.” Adam faltered. It was all he could manage. I guess he couldn’t imagine that a demon woman could look so beautiful. She grinned, and said, “Now why don’t you both go downstairs, and I’ll get your veil ready, Sabrina, ‘kay?” “Sure, that’s great!” I said, taking Adam’s hand, and walking down the stairs. “You know,” I told Adam, “The groom’s not supposed to actually see the bride until the wedding.” Adam nodded, and said, “Well, I wanted to meet you at church, but Camielle and your father thought you would faint when you walked in, so I came here.” “Ha, that’s typical!” I laughed, and sat back down on the couch. When we had been sitting there for a little while, Adam turned toward me and said, “I bought somehthing else for you.” “Oh really, what?” I asked him. “Close your eyes,” Adam commanded. I did and a little while later, He said, “Open.” “Oh, it’s beautiful, Adam, thank you so much, “ I exclaimed, as I admired the midnight blue gemstone necklace. It was in the shape of a snake. “They didn’t have a demon, and this was this came pretty close to what they were, so…” I nodded, remembering out battle with Alexandre and Valerie. I had felt so bad about loosing Adam, that I hadn’t ever cried about it all. And so now, I did. Adam looked sorrowful. “Sabrina, please don’t. It’s over now. We’re together, and will be for the rest of our lives. Forget them. Just remember what we did.” I nodded, and he brushed away my tears with his thumb. I smiled up at him, and then gave him a hug. We were still hugging when Camielle finally came down, and told us to get ready, because we were leaving for the church. I slipped my shoes on again, and followed Camielle out the door, Adam at my heels. It all seemed like a dream.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The ceremony was beautiful, so was the church, music, and reception. But the best part was actually putting rings on each other’s fingers, saying we would stay together till we died. It was so inspiring. During our vows, Adam looked deep into my eyes, and I saw him again like the first time I had ever seen him. Worried, boyish, pained, forgetful, young, inexperienced, and just a bit playful. I saw all this in his eyes, as he whispered, “I do.” I don’t know what he saw in me, but when he kissed me, I felt all the love, passion, and joy of years to come on his lips. The party was a riot, and it lasted late into the night. Adam swept me into his arms, and out the door around midnight, the music still playing as we left. We had taken his car to the ceremony, as I said it was only right for me to go on my honeymoon in the sparkly-blue mustang. We drove it back to my house, to gather my suitcase and say our farewells to my family, who had left the party also. We arrived, and parked in front of the house. I went to get out, but Adam grabbed my arm, and said sofly, “Wait.” I turned to him, and he kissed me again, for like the twentith time that day. I sighed softly, and he rested his hand on my waist. Then, we stopped kissing, and went inside, to say goodbye to my Dad and new step-mother, who had loved the wedding too, by the way they were kissing. As we said our good byes, I wondered what our life would be like. With the demon killings and all that affecting us. So, I’ve decieded. Though I’ll never know what life may bring us, or what joys or sorrows we will go through, I know that I can do them all as long as Adam is with me. Welcome to the world, Mrs. Adam Lake. I liked the sound of it.