Losing Memories | Teen Ink

Losing Memories

By JoyfulCheers SILVER, st. croix falls, Wisconsin
JoyfulCheers SILVER, St. Croix Falls, Wisconsin

smile at the world and it will smile back

November 5th, 2013 a funeral was held in Oshana Park. Hundreds of people gathered in silence; from family members to friends and even teachers. A young teenager from Lima High school, Montana was killed three months ago. Not many people understood why or even knew the answer. But I was the only one who knew the whole truth. For the man who lied died was the only man I loved and would ever love. In the back row of the crowd I sat huddled next to a willow tree. Half my vision was blurred from the millions of tears sliding down my cheeks. Slightly I held a small photograph taken of Dan and I. My heart ache remembering a year and three months ago of the first time we meet.

On August 4th, 2012 I was excited to get out of the house for the first time. It was the beginning of summer camp in Beaverhead, Montana. Well technically it wasn't THE beginning but training for the new camp counselors. Everything was a mess; cabins, lake shores, and the cafeteria. Basically there were three groups; counselors, cooks, and life guards. It was our jobs as new employees to understand how to deal with children and take care of the camp. That afternoon when I stepped out of my car, disaster was kicking in. I wore a red sweatshirt matching with dark blue jeans as my hair was tucked in a loose ponytail. The blue skies were just starting to turn into black devil clouds of storms while the wind fought with the trees. Looking around no one was to be seen in sight. There were cars lined up but outside it was dead silent. Confused, I just grabbed three boxes filled with stuff. They were piled high past my face; it was hard to see anything. As I took my time slowly to the head office, the skies began to drizzle down with rain. It wasn't just light but down pouring. The rain hit hard causing all three cardboard boxes to soften; I could feel them start to tear. With fear I ran. My feet were pounding hard in the squishy mud. My hair bobbed so hard the pony tail fell out. Nothing was going right; everywhere I went it felt like I was running in circles. There was no direction to head to. After minutes of running the bottom box tore in half. But I still held onto the items, I wouldn't let the day fail on me; my arms ached, socks soaked, no vision but I still fought through. With one more step ( several feet away from shelter) my left foot caught in the mud. It was stuck, no way of moving on. Almost in tears, I pulled and pulled. On the last tug my foot was free but my sock and shoe were left. Not looking ahead I lounged into a solid figure. The person was tall while wearing a dark blue poncho; I couldn't see their face. In an instinct all three boxes dropped to the ground.

" Are you lost?" the large figure had a deep but light voice.

" Yes," I responded softly.

" Here, you need help" . Without saying anything more I watched him grave all the wet boxes on the ground and stored them away inside. As he turned back towards me I saw a smile; a friendly smile.

" Thanks", I smiled back.

Still standing in the rain he looked down on me, " You must be a new counselor. We all get lost, don't worry. But I got to say for the first day, it's bad to be late for the first meeting"

" What? A meeting?" I shivered with a sigh. As if reading my mind, he opened up his poncho and slightly through it over my shoulders to keep me warm.

" You look cold. Follow me, we have a meeting to go to," he said softly while he held my hand. We went around the main building to the back by the beach. There was an open sheltered area filled with lights. Standing inside were a crowd of young adults listening to a woman talking up front. As the guy lead us to the warm looking building we stopped in front of the door. If it wasn't for his hand holding mine, I wouldn't be standing. I felt out of place. Everyone was dressed in uniform; pants, blue camp shirt, white underneath long sleeve with a whistle. The only ones out of place were the cooks and I. Once every eyes were on us, the women in charge turned to face me.

" Who's this Dan?" the woman sounded angry. But Dan had a nice name. Even he was curious, they all looked at me for an answer.

" New consular" my voice was even unsure. At that point I didn't want anyone to know my name yet; not when I was a mess.

With a nasty face expression the women growled, " Why are you undressed and completely late?". I froze with fright. That women scared me.

" She was helping me unload stuff. With the storm coming in we wouldn't cost anything being wrecked. Sorry, were late. It won't happen again," Dan replied instantly with no hesitation. Lightly he squeezed my hand. With a nice feeling of warmth, I liked that guy. No image to see but reference of his voice and personality.

" Oh, ok then. Well join us. I'm head consular Kelly, in charge of summer camp this year," the woman said well she glared at me as I took my place to stand. Dan traveled off to the far section by the back wall. I couldn't keep my eyes off of him. Glancing back every now or so, the man still kept us hood over his head. The light from above only showed the completion of his smile. When I turned one last time, I saw his eyes staring back; I was caught. But without frowning or looking away he stared at me with a smile. The rest of the hour session the both of us just stared at each other; without hearing a word the head master had said.

" Well that's it for today. Counselors in cabins 1-7 head north. Counselors in 8-9 head east. Well lifeguards in are the lodge down by the beach and cooks in the top cabin of the head office. See you in the morning eight o'clock sharp. Good night everyone." Kelly had ended her speech with a yawn. Well everyone headed out to their cabins I stood by the open door watching outside. I didn't know if it was the fresh air that stopped me or the waiting of someones presents. Behind me were soft sounds of someone heading towards me. Slowly they stopped right at the edge of the door. My heart was pounding a mile a minute. Warmth surrounded my body like wind in the air. Beside me was a mysterious man who smelled like heavens baby, a body built like a rock with a breath enlightened of peppermint! A slight tingle ran down from neck by the soft breath of the persons body.

" Thanks for everything. You didn't have to do that." I kept my eyes from looking behind.
"It's not a problem at all. Trust me you wouldn't want to start on the wrong foot as a new employee," he replied in a whisper. Lightly I step back with my shoulders brushing against his chest. Then stopped. I turned around to face him. But there was nothing but a dark shadowed face. Somewhere inside the pitch darkness was a man with gorgeous eyes, broad lips, and stunning skin. With blood flushing furiously, I couldn’t stop my hands from shaking. I wanted to see him!

" I'm Daniel Garcia", his voice was like an angel.
“ It’s nice to meet a mysterious man. Not fond of showing the face though?” my voice cracked by shivers of goosebumps. Slowly his hands reached up to pull his hood down. As if time froze all in one, it felt like ancient years. Inside my chest a large explosion fired off, with rushing force, my heart was swallowed in the depths of my throat. Like that, reality was brought back to life. Slowly I saw golden blonde hair glistering by rain drops. Followed with a pause, my heart was jumping to conclusions. He’s beautiful, he’s beautiful! One by one his face was revealed. The flush of his skin was a sunkiss tan bringing out sky blue eyes. His eyes were like painter’s skies filled lushes waves of dark toned blue. Underneath the eyes held angel's creation; perfect broad lips. Watching my expression, he smiled.

After a long moments of stares he spoke, “ You know I’m not the only one mysterious tonight. When I last checked, clumsey, soaked, new camp counselor has a name. Am I right?” Once again my heart was pounding hammers inside my chest. I felt like we were inches from each other face.
With my last breath I managed, “ I’m Amanda Anderson. Clumsy as ever” On the last word, the air that separated us began to narrow. Our faces were pulled together. But before a single touch a person hiding in the darkness shined a light.
“ Dan!” the voice grew louder. Like a bandage ripped off, Dan slowly moved back. Pain flooded throughout my body calling to move forward.
Instead of a gentle kiss he slightly whispered in my ear, “ It’s not over.” Lightly, his fingers grace my hair, removing wet strands from my face. Before the moment was over, Dan took his poncho and gently pulled it over my body.

“ You need this more than me,” he spoke while holding my hand for the last time. “ Goodnight Amanda. Hope to see you around” Inch by inch our hands were split apart. Fading into the dark he was gone. Reading the back of his sweatshirt “ Lifeguard”, I smiled. Could this summer get any better!

I remember those memories like dreams in my sleep. It was as if my heart saved a spot for him because now there was a gaping hole. Not many people tell you that soul mates are true. But for the first time I believed it. I was the only one who held the real memories of his death; the only one who knew the whole truth. As Dan rested in the ground peacefully, I stud alive today heartbroken. We finally turned the story Romeo and Juliet into a whole new meaning.

CHAPTER 1

The air in mid-June is still moist and damp but filled with heat. The mud squishes through the dents between my toes, making me smile at the feeling as I run down the hill. My wet hair splatters against my back as raindrops inch down my entire body, making me shiver.

Warm hands slip around my waist and pulling me back, scaring me for a second. “ You thought you could out run me, guess who’s wrong,” he said with a big grin on his face. The sound of his voice, and the touch of his hands makes me smile.

“ Oh ya.,” I start to say as I turn my head to face him with a wide smile, his favorite. “ I was just showing you how you run,” I finished the last words as I pulled my head closer to his. Are lips lock together, a slow gentle kiss, as his hands reach out to touch my face, making my cheeks tingle.

He slowly pulls his face away from mine, laughing, “ I must be a pro-runner than” , his words coming out smoothly.

“ Ya, pretty pro. I gotta say better than your kissing,” the words come out harsh from my lips but he takes it as a playful joke. I take off sprinting full speed towards the dock on the water.

“ I hope your kidding,” he calls over my shoulder than starts running after me. I hear his footsteps getting closer, catching up to me, pounding the ground after ever step.

I lounge into the water, the force of the jump pulling me to the bottom. The water refreshes me, feeling warmer than the afternoon air. I swim to the top, pulling in a deep breath of cool moist air to my lungs. I open my eyes to see Danny in front of me, swimming, staring at my eyes. His dark blonde-brownish hair and bright green eyes shimmer in the light, reflected by the water. The pit of my stomach feels a little guilty from what I said before but a small smile starts to form. “ I was kidding…” he cuts me off before I could finish, “ Doesn’t matter, I still love you.” The last four words that came from his mouth touched me.

“ I love you too,” were all that I could say and nothing else.

*

*

*

*

*

*

The happy memories flashed in my head but making me cry even more. Flood of tears were coming out of my eyes, leaving puddles of water on my pillow and clothes. Piles of tissue surrounded my body everywhere but the box by my head was running low. Where is more tissues when u needed them the most! My sleek blonde hair just lies in front of me , well my head faces down in the pillow. I have been crying for two hours straight now!

My mother walks in the door now and then bringing in soup to satisfy my stomach. She walks in slowly sitting on the edge of the bed closest to me. My mother lays a gentle hand on my shoulder, “ Honey its ok. I understand how much pain you are going through, losing someone you love the most. But you have to stay strong and brave. If you lay here lying weak, its not going to do you any good. Your emotions are going to eat you alive.” her voice sounding very concern and worried. Her words helped a little but not to much. I still cry as hard as my seventeen year old body could handle.

The only thing left of Danny that’s still alive are memories in my head. “ Oh come here honey,” my mom says as she pulls me in a sitting position, wrapping me in her arms. She puts one hand around my back and the other one holding my head up against her shoulder. I sniff a little trying to stay calm and relaxed to slow my tears. “ Hey, now how about me and you go to the mall to get things off your mind? Just us girls. We need to get you out of this crummy old place, how does that sound? “ her eyes looking down at me. I just nod trying to avoid saying anything, afraid that the lump in my throat could come spilling out at any moment. She stands up gently pulling me with her. We headed out the door and down the dark narrow hallway not even caring about are clothes. Everything was just so silent and sad. I just wore a black zipped up hoody with a gray tank top and black sweat pants. I just looked so emotional well my mother was so colorful next to me. You could say it was the worst day of my life, ever since the accident that happened yesterday.

CHAPTER 2

I sat up in the front seat of my mom’s red convertible with my knees resting on the dash board. I had my hood over my face just sitting there quietly not saying a word, trying to clear the emotional thoughts from my head. I froze in place as my eyes spotted my cell phone in the cup holder between the two front seats. Every part of my body and muscles froze in place as flashbacks where coming back to me.

Yesterday

You can hear the end of the school bell ring in the background behind me. Fading ever time I take a step. I stand on the cracked cement side walk in front of the high school entrance doors. The bright light of the sun shines in my eyes, making it harder to see my vision in front of me.

A hot warm breath whispers in my ears from behind me, “ There’s the most beautiful girl that I been waiting for all day.” I didn’t have to even turn around to know who it was, but I did any ways.

“ Oh hey, there you are! I been wondering what took you so long.” I said with a smile on my face, my heart jumping in side of my rib cage as I stare at his beautiful face. His features so elegant and right. His mouth was moving up and down, trying to talk to me, but I was too caught up, paying no attention at all to him, just day dreaming.

“ Alyson! Hello, you there girl,” Danny said now moving his arms up and down in front of me. But just look at his abs in his black faunal shirt! He was just too hot, even for me!

My head was shaking, snapping me out of my dream, bringing me back to reality. I noticed Danny’s tough-fitted hands on my slim shoulders, shaking me to death, waiting for a response. I just stood there blinking, my brain hollowed and empty, nothing wanted to come out of my mouth.

“ Oh sorry, I am here… just um.. thinking,” my voice coming out in a low rough cough. He dropped his arms away from my shoulders, a little startled by my voice.

“ Nah its ok. You can have an excuse for anything you want, take your time. I have all the time in the world to wait for you , you are more important to me than myself .” his words coming out so kind and full of passion. The way he looked at me was just so cute, like he was a big old teddy bear full of love. He takes a step closer, drawing me into him. The smell of his sent was so breath taking, stinging the nostrils of my nose. His body hovers over me, blocking the light as I stand in his shadow, cooling my body from the heat. My hands reaches up forward graving his head from behind pulling him closer to me. I tilt my head side-ways a little as are lips touch, so moist and filled with compassion. My hands move higher, sliding into his hair, pressing my lips harder against him wanting more. Heat and burning sensation filling my body everywhere, my lungs gasping for air, but myself wanting more, letting loose, having no power any more, losing control. The sweetness of peppermint and cinnamon swallowed in my mouth, feeling the air becoming fresh. The moment was just amazing, forgetting about the people around us, just me and him, in tell Danny’s body pulled away, not by control but by force.

I look up to see Danny in a head lock by his best friend, Joe, the left linemen on the football squad. He was buff and huge, his muscles were like cow thighs, while his belly sank over his jeans. I wouldn’t quit call Joe a jerk, but just rough on the guys, and sweet to the ladies. He turns his head towards me with a grin on his face, “ You know your are stealing my best man ever, I should get on the action once in a while,” he said as kissing Danny on the top of his forehead as a joke. Those two together were like brothers.

“ Well I guess he is all mine tonight Joe, sorry to say but its are university, one whole year!” I say with pride and dignity. I was very happy of myself, longest relationship ever. After I said that Joe dropped Danny from his firm grip, releasing him to my side. Danny’s neck looked a little red, with his face hot and warm. Danny was rubbing his neck where Joe had locked his hands around him. I could tell that Joe got him a little too tight.

Joe takes a step closer to me, looking like a sad puppy who wanted to play, wanting something from me. “ Can I please borrow Danny in tell 9:00 tonight, me and the gang were going to hang out before school ends. We wont take long at all, I promise. Ill just warm him up for you,” his eyes looking down at me really sadly, my heart just gave in and I said yes. Without even seeing it, Joe grabs Danny and yanks him over to his car. Danny was just staring wide-eyed at me, speechless. “ Hey, I’ll pick you up around 9:15, aspect a call around 9:10. I love you baby,” he called over the wind as Joe drove off at full speed. Now it was just me alone, standing in the middle of the bare side walk, nothing to hold on to or to grip forever. If I knew better, I would go back in time, and never let Danny leave my sight. But at that time I was clueless.

I just walked down the block in silence, the air in my mouth still tasting of peppermint and cinnamon. My face was still hot and warm, blood flowing to my cheeks, as I still blush of the memories of us kissing while Joe came in and interrupted the beautiful moment. A smile crosses upon me, the sent of Danny still wrapped around my body, lifting me off my feet. The afternoon breeze brushes against my hair, sending it back behind my shoulders, flying all over the place. The air was just so refreshing and cool, like free falling off a bridge. My mind was just all over the place, full of young love.

By the time I got to the house it was empty. The light cinnamon brown house, with white framing on all windows and doors laid on top of the hill all by its self, hollow. No humans in it, just furniture and a small fluffy yellow retriever that goes by the name, Honey. That meant I had the house to myself , no older brother, no mom, just me, so I could just sit back and relax. I picked up the spare key from under the welcome mat and opened the door, bursting into a house scented of mango melody from head to toe, mom’s favorite candle sent. Warmth surrounded my body, brushing against my cheeks, like being wrapped around a blanket. Home sweet home.

I stripped off my shoes, shutting the door behind me, and slipped my heavy loaded backpack off. It felt great to take a break from the heavy thing. It was killing my shoulders, scraper against my back every time I walked. It was a pain for my small body. The muscles in my neck started to relax and loosen up. I looked down at my watch that was strapped around my wrist. A quarter after six. Time was going slowly, enough to take a small nap before having fun. The couch in the living room was just calling my name. It laid there so soft and fully, built with cushioning pillows. It was heaven.

I laid back in the couch, sinking into it. The cushions supporting every muscle, and ach inside of me. I tilt my head back , my eyelids feeling like heavy sand bags, just gave out, ears muting out my surroundings, relaxing into a sweet dream. Every breath is slow, chest rising and falling, breathing in and out, relaxing, slowing my heart rate. I forget everything around me and close down my body. But little did I know it would all just turn into a nightmare.

Time had passed several hours later. I was no longer relaxed but overwhelmed; there was a problem. What do I wear! Normal girls would just throw on a nice dress with big heals. My dresses were two sizes too small and my high heels looked like they were skinned from a rattle snake! There was no hope for me. Lying on the ground next to three outfits, I felt like a judge from the XFactor. Down to the top three my options were slim; small, black, or puffy. Looking to the left the clock read 8:30. Ugh, time was not on my side. Closing my eyes with a magic flick of the wrist I randomly choose one. Tonight’s winner was..... two sizes too small! Never mind, I was sticking with the black one. Now I had that figured out the easy part was next. A little touch of makeup with a pretty bun can change wonders for you. Still half naked I slowly walked over to the bathroom. My own enemy stared at me; same body but a different mind of her own. The mirror always had a way of diminishing itself. In the mirror I could see the scar on my top thigh, one that only Dan knows about. The dark mark resembled an ash color while its shape ridged with its depth. From there, about four inches high sat my stomach, small but fat. For the past few weeks I have gain weight. Mom says its way of absorbing dads desertion but that's been ten years not a month. I just have to ignore the bump of fat today. Tonight's the night; just Dan and I. 8:45, only 30 minutes to go. Quickly I shadowed my eyes with a lite burgundy, adding a heavy amount of black mascara, barely any eye liner, tint of blush, and a lathered on strawberry lip gloss. All and all I was hot, sexy and gorgeous! 8:50; not bad at all. I was finally making progress. Once I slipped on the black dress I was breathless. For once I notice what Dan was seeing. In the mirror I saw a girl unrecognizable. Her hair had been pinned up in a loose bun that had blonde curls. In front her bangs were flipped to one side held in place by a sliver hair clip. Going down her body had been shaped by a loose cross over backless dress, hiding ever flaw. Silver bud earrings made all the simple look elegant. 9:10. It was time. Now it was time to wait. He had promised to call at 9:10, any time soon. Usually Dan keeps his promises, he is a man of his words.
Minutes passed by but nothing. That's weird, really weird. Finally my cell had rang.
“Hey babe, you running late?” I said gently.
“Ally this is your brother. Are you home?” the voice on the other end was shouting.
"Oh....." Disappointed, “yeah I'm home. Why what's up?"
"What are you doing to tonight?” he sounded concern.
“Dan is picking me up soon. We're going out tonight". Just the sound of a date made me smile. “We’re having a romantic night" I giggled.
“Whatever you do stay home! Don't go anywhere I'll be there soon" now all the excitement had stop.
“Brandon, what's going on? Is mom OK? “I was now confused but in a panicked mood. My mind was racing a mile a minute. Oh god if something ever happens to my mother I don't know how I'm going to work through it.
“Yes she's fine. Just stay put OK? I love you. I'll be there soon" the call had ended.
“Brandon!"
"Damn it Brandon!" I was yelling at the phone, no one but a phone. I tried to call him back but no answer. Every time I tried it went straight to voice mail.
“Stupid Brandon!” with anger I chucked the phone off to the side. With a thunderous clatter the window had broken and out went the phone. Could this day get any better?
“This is stupid!" I shouted to myself. Running over to the hole in the glass I notice bright lights. This wasn't the original town lights or house lights but cop lights; bright red and blue. Just down the block about four houses were two police cars were was a crowd of people gathered around them. In an instinct I had realized what had happened. Oh god no! Dan. No! Not now! I stepped away from the window and ran. My feet were the only thing functionally working, the rest of my body had shut down. But I ran. Down the hallway, a right turn, and one flight of stairs, that's all I had to. Only five more steps to go, the door was so close I could almost touch it. But not close enough. In one sudden motion my head flipped over my feet, the ground was no longer stable but below me. Flopping like a fish I spun wildly through the air seeing nothing but stairs and the ground, praying hopelessly for it to stop. For once something went my way. My head had made contact with last step sending large pulses throughout my body. Everything had ACH. I lied there motionlessly on the ground while my arm had been stretched out towards the door. Only three inches! Beat by beat my heart pounded and pounded. Tears had already made it ways down my cheeks but it was too late. The door had been there but it still lies closed. More pounding. Seconds later everything had stop; the tears, the pounding, and the pain. But the blood flowed.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Hey, just to let you know, I'm writing this live so you can get a better sense of what I'm feeling as I read it. I apologize in advance because this type of commenting often synthesizes a super long comment. "That afternoon when I got out of the car, disaster was kicking in." are. Love how comforting her mom is. So many stories have unloving, mean parents that don't care one bit. I like how yours is different. You also changed her name.. First it was Amanda, now it's Alyson. Pick! HAHA COW THIGHS! Hilarious, right there. Wow. University --should be--> anniversary. Aspect--should be--> expect. I like the description of the makeup, but I wish she would tell us about the scar. WOW. Cliffhanger ending. Nice job! I can definitely feel her panic. You have a good way with words and you're amazing at portraying emotion, but I think you can work harder at using the correct words and using better grammar. Overall, super captivating, I definitely enjoyed it.

Ultimatewriter, Ventnor City, New Jersey
amazing   

Noob Nubby said...
on Apr. 18 2012 at 10:55 am
WRITE MORE NOW!!!

Knightingale BRONZE, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Being a writer is like showing your but to the world
"fairy tail's Jet"

Really liked it keep going :)

country-cutey GOLD, St.croix Falls, Wisconsin

Dont say it if you dont mean it because i might actually belive it

loved it!!!! thats more than wonderful.  You have amazing talents to write like that. i think you are a natural writer :) keep up the wokr girly!!! you could be famous some day :)

Sarajustine BRONZE, Massapequa, New York
I'd like to see more! :)

Nar Nar said...
Omg I wanna read morre! :)

Erin M. said...
thx glad u enjoyed it

Nar Nar said...
Hey this is wonderful!! :D