The Letter | Teen Ink

The Letter

March 5, 2011
By Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
More by this author
Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
15 articles 2 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so whoever believes in hill will not die but have eternal life.

Dreams are what make us who we are, a life without dreams is like a life without air.


Author's note: I hope people read this piece and experience the charming love story and hardships these characters have to go through and relate it to their own life.

The author's comments:
Oh, love...

As soon as I closed the mailbox, I regretted it, but it was too late. I watched the crisp, white envelope slide down into the bin, and I knew I would never be able to get it back. I don't know what possessed me to do this. What is wrong with me? I know that tomorrow morning, a man or woman would come through the Employee's only door, and look in that mail basket. Somewhere, in there, they would find the envelope, with the name David Johnson. A flush faced woman, pushed past me and gruffly pushed her letter into the slot. That's it, I thought, better go home.

I gripped the steering wheel angrily, how could I be so stupid! It's been two years Karen, he's probably forgotten you, I thought. But I sure hadn't forgotten him, it all when back to that crisp autumn day in New York. The sun was shining through the puffy clouds, that were tinted a shade of gray, that seemed to say to people, “Look at us, we are bringing you the light showers to grow your grass and make your flowers bloom again!” The leaves were just starting to turn orange and, to me, it was a perfect day to be out. I was on a bench at the park, just sketching in my notebook. The perfect place for inspiration, I always thought. I was watching the ice cream man, at his little cart serve ice cream to a little boy. The man running the shiny little ice cream cart was George, they saw each other in the park often. He was a very kind old man, that really didn't have anything better to do on these fine days. I watched as the little brown haired boy licked his ice cream cone. In one fluid motion, the ice cream tumbled to the ground. Clean off the cone in a perfect little ball, not tainted at all, laying there on the ground. The little boy's eyes started to water, but before the teardrops could spill out of those little blue eyes, George came running over, with a bigger scoop, and plopped it on top of the little boy's cone.

He looked up at George with shinning eyes, “Thank you, Mister,” he said. Gladly licking his ice cream cone once more, but with a little more caution. I smiled and next to my sketch of the little boy, I place the words “Kindness is all around you”. My picture was of the little boy holding an ice cream cone, and a quickly stretched man with a scooper around his ice cream, giving him his treat back to him. I then stretched the ice cream that had fallen on the floor and was shading it in, when I heard a deep voice speak behind me.

“That's pretty good you know,” the mystery person said. “But you need to give the people and tree's shadows, the sun's pretty bright today.”

I turned around, to see a young man staring at me, he had tousled blonde hair and intense green eyes, that I was sure, were looking right through me. I saw that he was also holding a sketch book. He saw me looking at it and held it up.

“Yeah, I do a little drawing myself,” he said. “My name is David, David Johnson.”

He extended his hand in greeting and I took it gladly. He has a firm handshake, I thought. I took this time to study him closer. He was wearing a light blue collared shirt, with three darker stripes across the chest. He had a thin frame, and was wearing dark blue jeans and some black tennis shoes. I realized I was staring at him a little too much and began to blush a little as I let go of his hand.

“So are you new around here?” I asked.

“Actually,” he explained. “I have been living here since I was two, I just didn't come to the park all that often until know.”

God, I could have sworn those eyes were scanning my past and looking into my deepest darkest thoughts.

“I take it you've lived here a while,” he said.

I blushed a little bit more.“No, actually I just moved here two years ago,” I said, giggling nervously. “But I come to this park as often as possible.”

He plopped himself down next to me on the bench. I was staring into his eyes when, he grabbed my sketch book out of my hands!

“Hey!” I yelled. “Give that back!”

David laughed, “I just wanted to see your work. This is really good.”

His guard was down as I grabbed the book back from him in one swift movement. I started to laugh at the hilarity of the situation. Soon we were both laughing and it's like we were both old friends. Just two 17 year old kids with nothing better to do then sit and joke around on a bench.

“It's just a hobby, really,” I said.

“Well, I plan to go to art college,” David said. “You should too. You're really good.”

“Nah, my Dad wouldn't like it. He want's me to be a lawyer. More reliable career. Blah blah.”

David pulled out his phone to look at something and frowned. “I have to get going,” he said. “I hope to see you around here sometime.”

Oh no! Did I scare him away? Was it something I said? I swallowed hard. “Okay then, I'll be here tomorrow!” I shouted back. He waved at me and started jogging out of sight. I looked up at the sky and saw the brilliant sun begin to approach the earth. I guess I should get going too.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


on Aug. 29 2011 at 11:34 am
writerfluid SILVER, Tempe, Arizona
9 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
Greater good? I am your wife. I am the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

You wrote this??? It's incredible!

 


on Mar. 17 2011 at 9:31 am
Anonymousme GOLD, San Antonio, Texas
15 articles 2 photos 64 comments

Favorite Quote:
John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son so whoever believes in hill will not die but have eternal life.

Dreams are what make us who we are, a life without dreams is like a life without air.

Hey people,

Please PLEASE comment and rate! I really REALLY want feedback to know if I should continue writing!