Adam and "E" | Teen Ink

Adam and "E"

August 5, 2011
By Shavonna BRONZE, Norwalk, Connecticut
More by this author
Shavonna BRONZE, Norwalk, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do I trust some and be fooled by phoniness, or do I trust no one and live in loneliness?"


Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece because I see kids face the kinds of pressures that my character Adam faces and I wanted to bring to light the types of negative effects that it not only has on teens, but on our families too.

The thunder was so loud that it shook the ground and set off car alarms. Rain poured down from the sky like water from a shower head. The streets looked like flowing rivers and stray animals hid in the nearest bushes and underneath houses. Adam and Jacob ran straight for the car as they left their house in the early morning of early September. The first day of school always brought excitement to the both of them. Junior year was one year closer to Senior year which was one year closer to college. Both Adam and Jacob’s names always had a spot on the Honor Roll and Honorable Mention, so there was no doubt that they wouldn’t be accepted in to the finest colleges. Their mother Janice waited impatiently in the car for her boys to hurry in before their new outfits had gotten all soaked. She beeped the horn and Adam, the first to the car, got the front seat.
Rain hit the windshield like bullets as Janice sped to get them to school on time. Adam rolled down the window when she reached a stoplight because he saw a girl from his school walking in the rain.
“Hey Kristen, need a ride?” Adam yelled out of the window. His mom nudged him and told him that he can’t offer a person rides without her permission. Kristen quickly looked at Adam as she speed walked to get to school faster. She was soaked.
“Umm, no thanks Adam, I’m almost there!” she replied
“Are ya sure? It’s no problem.” Adam told her
“Okay, I guess a ride wouldn’t hurt.” Kristen ran to the car and opened the backseat door. “Jacob make room! Sorry Mrs. Anderson. My mother couldn’t drive me to school; she’s a bit strung out.” Kristen said
“Oh it’s no problem sweetheart, and you can call me Janice.” she told her.
When they arrived to the school, everyone was rushing off of buses to get inside the dry, heated building. Adam and Jacob leaned over in their seats to give their mother a kiss goodbye and a “thanks for the ride,” while Kristen gave her a hug.
“Have a good day guys!” Janice yelled out of the window and watched as her sons set off into another year of high school.
During lunch, Jacob met up with his friend Carlos and waited near a set of lockers in the English hallway for familiar faces to pass by. Carlos started making jokes about the taupe his history teacher Mr. Rogers was wearing.
“No seriously that guy really thinks that that freaking dead squirrel on his head isn’t noticeable.” Carlos said. They both laughed and Jacob choked on his bottle of Pepsi.
“Hey Jacob, where’s Adam? Haven’t seen ‘em all day.” Carlos brought up. Jacob smirked and scratched his head while giving a few chuckles.
“My brother’s a nerd dude, you already know that. He’s probably in the library reading the dictionary or asking the librarians about when the Debate Club starts.” Jacob joked.
“Ha-ha you’re probably right man!” Carlos agreed. “Hey, ya know what I noticed? You and Adam are really starting to look different from each other.” Carlos added
“Well, I mean, that isn’t exactly a bad thing dude.”
“It is if you guys are spose to be twins.”
“Well even if we do look different, at least that means more girls will come to me.” Jacob said
“Ha-ha that’s what you think man. I don’t know whether to say that you’re cocky or that you’re the man’.” Carlos said
“I don’t know whether to say you’re jealous or jealous ha-ha; I gotta go find my bro for lunch. Mom gave him five dollars for us to split and if I don’t catch him then he will pile pizzas and soda on his tray.”
“Alright dude later!” Carlos said
Jacob rushed down the halls and ran downstairs to the crowded lunch room. Adam had been wearing a bright orange button up shirt since he had their father’s sense of tacky style. He quickly spotted Adam leaving the lunch line with a pizza, Pepsi, and a bag of Doritos on his tray. He pushed past clustered crowds of people to reach his brother.
“Dude tell me you didn’t spend the whole five dollars.” Jacob said to Adam
“Nope, this was only two dollars and forty cents.”
“Well then give me the rest so I can buy my lunch.” Jacob demanded. Adam dug in his pockets and pulled out two singles and sixty cents.
“Here ya go man. Enjoy your lunch!” he said
“Wait, you’re not gonna eat with me?” Jacob asked
“Umm, I’m just gonna go find Kristen and eat with her”
“Why can’t we all eat together?”
“Because dude, I just want some space that’s all.”
“Okay I guess, later!”
After lunch and two more periods that followed, it was finally time for dismissal. The bell rang and Jacob hurried out of his Advanced English 4 class holding a packet.
“Hey man, what is all of that?” Carlos asked while walking next to Jacob
“Just homework”
“A packet of homework on the first day of school?” Carlos asked in shock
“Yeah man, it’s Advanced English, this packet is a piece of cake.” Jacob bragged
“Oh excuse me, I forgot Mr. Author can write his ass off and no work is a challenge for him.” Carlos sarcastically added
“Do I smell jealousy?” Jacob joked
“Hell no! I am nowhere near jealous of a dude who on the first day of school is given a packet of homework.”
“Sure you aren’t. Anyway, I gotta get going before my impatient mother leaves me. Come over later?”
“Sure man, count on it!”

Jacob got in the front seat of their mother’s Silver Honda Civic since Adam was late. He kissed his mother on the cheek and placed his backpack on the seat behind him.
“Hey honey, where’s your brother?” Janice asked
“I don’t know. Last time I saw him was at lunch.”
“Well he better hurry or he’s gonna be hitching a ride with one of his buddies.”
Adam pushed past a bunch of kids and hopped in the backseat of the car.
“HEY MOM! BEAUTIFUL DAY ISN’T IT?” Adam yelled
“JESUS ADAM! What’s your deal?” Janice asked
“Beautiful day? Dude it’s raining.” Jacob added
“Nothing’s my deal mother! I just had a great day. A great day indeed!”
Adam shook his leg and bounced in his seat. Jacob turned around holding his phone up to Adam’s face.
“Dude look at this message from Tiffany.” Jacob said while pointing to the screen.
“Tiffany? Hot, hot Tiffany?” Adam asked
“Umm yeah”
“I can’t see.”
“You have glasses on, of course you can see.” Jacob said
“Are you my eyes? I didn’t think so. Now, like I said, I can’t see!”
“Whatever dude.”
“Mom turn on the radio please, I wanna hear some JAMS!” Adam requested
“Adam please stop yelling. I can hear you perfectly fine because you’re sitting right behind me. Jacob find a station on the radio please so your brother can relax.”
“Sure mom.” Jacob flipped through a few stations to find one that was appropriate for everyone to listen to. “Aw man! I love this song” Jacob said
“ME TOO ‘every time we lie awake, after every hit we take, all the feelings that I get, but I still don’t miss you yet, only when I stop to think about it. . .’” Adam sang before he began banging on the back of Jacob’s seat like it was an imaginary set of drums. “‘I hate EVERYTHING about you, but why do I LOOOVE you?”
“Dude shut the hell up!” Jacob yelled
“Jacob watch your mouth!” Janice said
“Sorry mom but he’s being all weird and annoying.”
“Oh stop your whining!” Adam laughed
“It’s not funny idiot!”
“It is to me. Mom, tell Jacob to stop whining. He sounds like Marsha.” Adam said referring to their aunt’s three year old daughter.
“You’re the one who sounds like Marsha. Now shut up.” Jacob angrily demanded.
The car slowed as Janice pulled into the driveway where their father’s Ford was parked
“Dad’s home?” Jacob asked her
“Yeah, they cut his hours at work.” She said sadly
“Oh that sucks.”
“IT SURE DOES!” Adam yelled
“Adam for the last time, stop yelling please.” Janice warned
“Oh, sorry, sorry, sorry.” Adam apologized
“No need to be sorry, just stop doing it.” She said
Adam and Jacob went in the house and headed downstairs to their father’s study to tell him about their day. When they entered the room, he was deep into his work, probably writing another book.
“Dad today was awesome. I met up with a couple of my friends, and met a few hot girls” Jacob bragged
“Oh really?” their father asked trying to sound a little bit interested
“Yup”
“What about you Adam, anything interesting happen to you in school today?”
“No, no, no, no, today was boring. It was pretty lame, yup pretty lame.”
“How so?”
“BECAUSE IT WAS!” Adam yelled
“Son . . . are you alright?” their father asked in a concerned tone
“Dad, he’s been like this ever since mom picked us up this afternoon. We don’t know what’s wrong with him.” Jacob informed him
“Maybe you both should get your homework started.” their father suggested
“Is it okay of Carlos comes over to do homework with us?” Jacob asked
“‘Us’? That’s your friend, not mine.” Adam corrected him
“Whatever, you’re right, seeing as how you have no friends of your own.” Jacob teased
“I have Kristen, she’s all I need.” Adam bragged
“Are you guys a thing now?” Jacob asked with a smirk on his face
“Sure son you can have some company for a bit. I have to run out the office anyway to get some paperwork done.” Their father interrupted
“Even if we were a ‘thing’ what is there to smirk about?” Adam asked with his arms folded
“That would be quite a sight, to actually see you with a girlfriend? Ha-ha.” Jacob laughed
Thirty-five minutes later the doorbell rang and it was Carlos. Jacob’s mother called for him to come downstairs and introduce his company to her and then bring him upstairs.
“Hey man what’s up?” asked Jacob
“Nothing much man. Whoa! You have a nice place dude!” said Carlos, amazed by how flashy Jacob’s house was.
“Yeah, all thanks to mom and dad.”
“Shoot, I wish I could say the same. My mom and dad don’t do anything. My mom works at a freaking fast food place, and my dad is the cashier at Old Navy. We live in a tight three bedroom apartment with two boys and two girls. I share a room with my older brother Michael, and my sister’s Diana and Lisette share a room. Mom and dad get the other one.”
“Wow dude. I couldn’t share a room with Adam, that would be hell ha-ha. We have a six bedroom.”
“Six? Why six if there’s only four of you living here?” Carlos asked
“A room for me, a room for Adam, a room for Mom and Dad, two guest bedrooms, and a room for my dad, it’s his study.”
“Oh man you guys are lucky! I think we gotta turn one of those guest bedrooms into MY bedroom.” Carlos suggested
“Only if you take your shoes off when you enter my home.” Jacob’s mom interrupted
“Oh sorry ma’am” Carlos apologized
“It’s alright, my poor-mannered son forgot to mention it. I blame him. It’s one of our important house rules since most of our floor is carpeted.”
“Sorry mom.” Jacob said
“Sure you are. Hello my name is Janice, and yours?” she asked while extending her hand for Carlos to shake.
“Nice to meet you, my name is Carlos.”
“It is nice to meet you young man. Jacob, take your friend to your room please. And tell your brother that I would like to speak to him.”
“No problem mom. C’mon dude, I got a new Laptop and I want you to see how this baby runs.”

Jacob and Carlos stopped by Adam’s room so Jacob could tell him that their mother wanted to speak with him. When they knocked on the door, Adam yelled “WHAT!” Carlos looked at Jacob and said “Dude is Adam alright?”
“I really don’t know, it sounds like he’s on the phone though.”
“WHAT DO YOU WANT?” Adam yelled again
“Mom wants to see you.” Jacob said
“For?”
“I don’t know, all I know is that she wants to see you.”
“Whatever I’ll see her when I get off the phone.”
“Alright, suit yourself” Jacob gave in
A few minutes later, Janice marched upstairs and barged in Adam’s room interrupting his phone call because she desperately wanted to speak with him. She furiously told him to hang up and pay attention to what she was about to say.
“Adam . . . I really don’t know what to say about you, the way you’ve been acting this afternoon has been strange. Can you please explain to me what’s going on?” she asked
“Mom . . . I am perfectly fine, I was just a little excited to day that’s all. I have good news too.” Adam said
“Hmm I hope you’re telling me the truth Adam. And what’s the good news?”
“I have a girlfriend now.”
“A girlfriend? Wow . . . that’s a surprise son. Who’s the lucky girl?” she asked
“Wait a minute what do you mean that’s a surprise? You think I’m not good enough to get a girlfriend or something, you think Jacob is more handsome than me?”
“Umm Adam calm down please. You are more than good enough, and you and Jacob are twins, if he’s ugly then you’re ugly, if he’s handsome then you’re handsome. There is no competition honey.”
“Sure . . . whatever you say. And the lucky girl is Kristen.” Janice scrunched up her face and took another look at her son after what he said.
“Son, why would you date a girl like Kristen? She is nothing but trouble, she is very wild and she doesn’t apply herself in school as much as you and Jacob do. Why would you want to settle for a girl like that?”
“See mom there you go! You don’t know what she goes through on a daily basis-”
“I know enough! I do not what you dating that girl!” Janice yelled
“Mom do you say anything to Jacob when he dates those girls that he meets at parties or the girls that practically live in detention? No you don’t say anything to Jacob at all. All the girls at that school are in the same lane as one another.”
“Not all of them do drugs with their parents though! End of discussion, I don’t want you with her.” she concluded. Jacob and Carlos nosily walked past Adam’s room and saw the expression on Adam’s face. They could tell that he was frustrated with his mother.
“What the hell are you morons looking at!?” Adam yelled at them
“You better straighten that attitude young man!” Janice warned him
“I don’t have an attitude but they’re being nosy, you could have at least closed the door.”
“No because I want them to hear what I’m saying to you. I mean it when I say I do not want you around that Kristen girl, and if I, your father, Jacob, or Carlos catch you with her I promise there will be serious consequences.”

To be continued. . . . . .



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 8 comments.


KylaaM SILVER said...
on Aug. 15 2011 at 10:10 pm
KylaaM SILVER, PEI, Other
6 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reality is a form off writting, that comes straight from the soul

It makes sense now!!  and i like that you called it that to! its sorta like the story adam and eve. the evil snake tells eve to take an apple of this tree, when she was told not to~ its sorta like that...

on Aug. 15 2011 at 4:11 pm
Shavonna BRONZE, Norwalk, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do I trust some and be fooled by phoniness, or do I trust no one and live in loneliness?"

I did my research. both Adam and E are the nicknames of the drug.

on Aug. 15 2011 at 4:10 pm
Shavonna BRONZE, Norwalk, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do I trust some and be fooled by phoniness, or do I trust no one and live in loneliness?"

The "E" stands for the nickname of the drug Ecstasy, so does the name Adam. I'll get into more detail about that as the story goes on =)

KylaaM SILVER said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 10:54 pm
KylaaM SILVER, PEI, Other
6 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reality is a form off writting, that comes straight from the soul

one question tho? what does the "E" stand for?

KylaaM SILVER said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 10:53 pm
KylaaM SILVER, PEI, Other
6 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reality is a form off writting, that comes straight from the soul

im trying to get my sister to read it, but she wont. im nagging her tho lol ill send this to my cousin to read

KylaaM SILVER said...
on Aug. 12 2011 at 10:49 pm
KylaaM SILVER, PEI, Other
6 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reality is a form off writting, that comes straight from the soul

I love this story soo much! its so detailed, but not to much detail!  im like in llove with this stoory

on Aug. 12 2011 at 8:01 am
Shavonna BRONZE, Norwalk, Connecticut
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Do I trust some and be fooled by phoniness, or do I trust no one and live in loneliness?"

Thanks so much! and yeah i'm going to add more chapters. I am currently in the process of writing them. =)

KylaaM SILVER said...
on Aug. 11 2011 at 6:47 am
KylaaM SILVER, PEI, Other
6 articles 1 photo 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reality is a form off writting, that comes straight from the soul

are you writing another part to this story? you should!!! its fantastic, its similiar to the story i wrote, its called cocaine. but its not as detailed as this is