Dog Voice | Teen Ink

Dog Voice

March 11, 2023
By Maura_Guillen, Santa Ana, California
More by this author
Maura_Guillen, Santa Ana, California
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

This if my first time writing a short story

“Mija!” yells Mami from the kitchen, “Kikki get up, your breakfast is ready! We’re going to be late!” 

I  finally sorta woke up and opened my heavy eyes to see it's only 6:15 in the morning. “I’m coming.” I sigh. I put on my clothes, use the restroom, and then finally eat my pan Nutella (which is bread with Nutella inside and folded in half to make a sandwich) with milk on the side. 

It's delicious, everyone should be able to eat this.

Once I finished eating I put my dishes away and put dog food in the three big bowls outside that are big enough to feed three Great Danes. 

Why do I have three big dog bowls?


Well, there are a lot of stray dogs in my neighborhood (skinny ones too) and they like to hang out in my backyard since it's very big because it's just mostly land… so I begged my parents to buy dog food to feed all of them. 

And let me tell you that was not easy (what I mean by that, it took a year)

Well, it all worked out in the end because I have many adorable dogs I can play with every day, and for my older sister and brothers, I know they wanted me to annoy our parents all year long so they can see dogs every day too. They better be grateful… that was hard work (I still haven’t gotten a thank you).

Just one rule though: DON’T let the dogs in the house.

Which is completely fine because some shed… a lot too. And I know they don’t want to see dog fur all over the house and a lot of dogs looking at us when we eat. That already happens since we have see-through doors. 

Anyways, let's go to school.

 

….


I say goodbye to my mom, and I know for sure I am going to get lost in this school. I see some people I have seen in elementary school, and I try looking for my friends but… I realize they told me that all of them are going to different schools. Well, I have a fresh new start. 

As I waited for the class door to open I was just stuck there in the cold. I was looking around for people to talk to but everyone was in their friend groups.

HOW DID THEY DO THAT SO FAST?! I could never make friends that fast. But it could just be their friends from elementary school. 

I see the door open and the teacher in front holding the door open. “Good morning. You could find your seat number in that seating chart right there.”

I looked at the seating chart to see my name on… seat number 12, and I knew it. I’m always twelve since my last name starts with a G, Kikki Gamboa.

I look at all the students coming in and the teacher saying the same thing to every other student. They all look grown up. When everyone finally comes in, she closes the door and introduces herself.

“Now that we are all settled in. Let me introduce myself. I am Ms. Jenkins, and I am going to be your art teacher.”

Once she finishes that sentence this boy comes into the classroom passing Ms. Jenkins a note.

“What is your name, sweetheart?” Ms. Jenkins askes

“ Uh, Rowan Gutierrez.” He says if he already wants to leave.

“You are going to sit right next to Kikki Gamboa, the girl in the back. Raise your hand, please.”


I raise my hand high so he can see me, and he walks right over to the empty seat next to me. And we sat next to each other without saying a word to each other for the rest of the class.

“Alright class.” Ms. Jenkins continues ”Let's start with making name tags.”

Finaly, done with two periods. Just lunch and two more periods to go. I am internally screaming right now, I haven’t talked to anyone today. I guess I forgot how to make friends.

I get a little snack and look for the nearest table. I sit at the table with the least amount of kids because I get nervous when there are too many people around me. I also don’t feel like socializing with random people I don’t know for now. So I sit alone for 15 minutes until the bell rings.

As soon as the bell rings I’m surprised that my body reacted so fast because I rushed out of that cafeteria. 

 I am the third person to get to my class. I walk in and see the teacher walking around with a coffée in hand ready to leave this school. Same mood as me. He soon realizes we are at the door.

“Oh, welcome, just take a seat anywhere you like.”

The bell rings and most of the kids are sitting down. I sat down at an empty table. Well it used to be empty. Some kids were looking for a place to sit, since my table was open, they sat here. 

At least it isn’t the annoying kids. It's pretty quiet at my table. Hopefully we all open up to each other.

“Alright class, settle down.” The teacher says about to lose his mind. “I’m Mr. Singh or Mr. S whatever you want to call me.” 

“Can I call you Mr. snake.” a random boy says while everyone starts laughing their butts off. It’s not even that funny.

“No you can not.”

“But you said we can call you anything we want to.”

“Well I guess you lost your privilege.” 

“ Ooooooo” All the kids say before bursting into laughter.

Wow, nice one Mr. Singh.

I look up trying to see who the boy was, and it’s… Rowan. I can already tell that He is going to be one of those annoying kids. 

“ Kids who misbehave in my class spin The Wheel of TORTURE.” Mr Singh says pointing to a wheel that you can buy off Amazon. Or how I like to call it Ama-Zone (My mom is obsessed with that website).

“Why don’t you be my first student to give it a try Mr…”

“Rowan”

“Mr. Rat got it.”

DANG, this teacher has jokes.

As everyone starts laughing, Rowan walks over to the wheel in shame. He spins it and it lands onnnnnnn… GUM SCRAPING

“OOOOOOO” Everyone says

Mr. Singh is having too much fun with him.

I get home from another long day at school and go straight to my room to finish some homework. Once I finished I went to the backyard to feed and play with the dogs.

I wonder what adventures we’ll have today.

I find a wooden board on the ground to notice that it sways back and forth. So my imagination starts to run like a river, and suddenly many ideas pop in my head like logs reach the surface of the river. The one that struck out to me was to use it if me and the dogs were on the ship. 

I found a round stick on the ground that was the shape of half a circle. I thought I should use that as the wheel.

I call some dogs to the “ship” so they can take a seat. 

“All aboard on the… uh.” I stutter to try to figure out a name for the ship. “The-the BIG BERTHA.” 

Don’t ask why I named it that because I don’t got an answer.

Only a few of the dogs came over to me while the other’s stayed back doing whatever dogs do.

“Welcome Lady Monet Pug. Welcome Lady Goldy, Welcome Sir Monty, Ah I see you brought Lady Pom with you. Welcome Sir Logan…” I continue for the next five dogs.

“Welcome aboard to all that are here, on BIG BERTHA!”

“Borf” says Logan

“Thank you, today we will be sight seeing the seas so be careful not to fall out. Anyways let's go!”

I start steering my wheel all around. I explained what we were seeing in the water (like they would understand) but suddenly… were under attack!? 

Next thing I know is that one of the Borzois ran into the ship and we are sinking.

“NOOO, everyone get on the lifeboats!” 

Sight Probelm… we lost a dog. Turns like Lady Monet Pug fell into the water! (Walked onto the water).

“DON’T WORRY MONET I WILL COME FOR YO-”

“Guys I'm home!” I hear my mom say as the sound of a door slam right after.

“Oh Ok! Sorry Monet, you're going to have to learn to swim.” 

“Rreph.” Monet barks to me.

“Hi Mami!” 

“Hello, where's your dad?”

“On the Toilet.” 

“Oh… okay. How was school today, did you make any friends?”

“I was good but… I didn’t” 

I hear my mom sigh. I know I know. I should talk to people but I forgot how to make friends and I am super shy and get really nervous around people. 

“Mija come here.” She says pulling me over. “You got to make friends okay, I know your really shy but I’m a need you to speak up okay.”

“Okay…”

“Do what the dogs do, use your dog voice. But don’t bark.”

“Haha ok.”

I really don’t like talking about me having no friends. I get real sensitive about that topic. I get jealous that she doesn’t have to say that to my siblings. Even my sister is pushing me to make friends. 

I got dropped off like usual and sat on the stairs like a loser until the gates opened. Each day the feeling of never getting a friend gets bigger. But also, who would want to be friends with a person who still acts like a child?

I get into class and sit in the same seat next to Rowan. Rowan has defenetly warmed up to the class. He talks forever. He always gets in trouble for talking but he will keep talking. 

Today I lost it.

Rowan starts talking “Man this class is boring.”

 His friend joins in. “Then why did you chose it”

“Easy A. Also that girl is kinda cute, huh. Ask her out.”

“What NO!”

“Then why are you blushing? You like her huh!”

“Can you shut up Rowan.” I mumble a little too loud, so he hears me.

“What. You stop listening to our conversation. Chismosa.”

“Well first of all you're right next to me being very loud so the whole world can hear. And If you think that girl is cute then you ask her out. Don’t be having your friend do your business for you.”

I felt so good to say that out loud.

“How about keeping your mouth shut.”

“If you did that first we wouldn’t be in this situation.” A girl says at the table next to me unpacking her supplies “Start using your own advice.”

“Woah.” I mumble 

She starts walking towards me and puts her arm on my shoulder. Her name is Dakota, I remembered from Ms. Jenkins taking attendance. She has long wavy dark brown hair with green dye streaks, has brown eyes and is definitely taller than me. She seems very cool.

“Stay out of this conversation Kota.” Rowan says with anger

“No, you leave this poor girl alone. She is the only one doing good here, by shutting you up. Now sit down with your mouth shut and focus keeping that Easy A.”

Wow. I wish I had the confidence to do what she does. This is probably the last we will ever speak to each other. She walks back to her seat and winks at me. I feel red covering my face. Of course people are always stepping in to help me. 

I look at Rowan and find him staring at me dead serious. I look away quickly and see Ms. Jenkins carrying a big box. 

“Alright class our canvases finally came!”

 

….

 

It's nutrition and I sit alone again at the same table as always. When all of a sudden Dakota jumps into the bench and looks at me. 

“Well I am looking at the girl who challenged Rowan Goose.” 

We looked at each other for a good second and burst out laughing.

“Sorry for the late introduction but I’m Dakota or Kota for short and you are?”

“Kikki.”

“Oh my gosh I love that name, it's so cute!”

“Oh, thank you.”

We ended up talking to each other for the rest nutrition. She told me that she will introduce me to her friend group later at lunch. I’m nervous.

 I see Dakota in the halls walking down so I rush to catch up to her. I tell her I’m nervous to meet them, and that I get really nervous when there are a lot of people. 

“Ohh. Hmm. Well consider this a challenge to meet them. I swear they are really nice people, and if you get too nervous, kick or tap my foot.” 

We get there and there is a group of 5 people. They all say hi to Dakota.

“Guys this is Kikki and she finally told Rowan to shut up.”

“Oh my gosh really!” They all say with excitement

“Uhh.” I get nervous. I can’t get the words out of my mouth. But I think back to what my mom said. “Uh I did.” 

“Girl, finally someone other than Kota stood their ground.” The tallest one says 

“It felt really good to say after holding it in for a month.” I say smoother than ever.

“I bet it does.” 

I look at Kota and find her smiling at me. Now I finally felt like I belonged in a group.

 

….

 

I told my family everything that happened today and Mami gave me the nod of approval. I finally had somewhere to go to at school other than the stairs. I started warming up to the group more and more. I even invited them to my house to play with the dogs. Now they want to come every week. Kota’s favorite dog is the Borzoi that sank my ship. Rowan is still mad at me but I stopped caring. I used to only play with the dogs, now it is more than just dogs now. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.