Underneath Columbus (with thanks to Hans Christian Anderson’s “A Little Match Girl”) | Teen Ink

Underneath Columbus (with thanks to Hans Christian Anderson’s “A Little Match Girl”)

By minjuekim BRONZE, Troy, New York
minjuekim BRONZE, Troy, New York

Author's note:

My name is Minjue. This short story is inspired by Hans Christian Anderson’s “A Little Match Girl.” I think a Native American girl selling candies under the statue of Christopher Columbus would provide an interesting setting for readers which they can focus on.

It was the morning a week before Christmas. The gray sky seemed to imply an impending snowstorm. However, it didn’t snow. Perhaps because it didn’t snow, except for a few yellow cabs, everything around Columbus Circle in Manhattan looked achromatic. The noise of strong wind covered the hustle of the morning in the city. People were in a hurry to get to the places where they were supposed to be, but the chilly wind made people walk even faster. People stuck their hands and faces in their coats and jackets. The majestic statue of Christopher Columbus at the center of Columbus Circle was gazing at the beyond with impressive eyes, but somehow the statue also seemed to be looking down at the people and guiding them. The gray morning of the city had its own order, and people were used to it, maybe because of Columbus’s symbolic guidance. They walked along a certain path and direction to go to their work and schools. Everyone knew where they were going and what they should do. 

This morning, however, people were disturbed by a bizarre sight. A young girl was sitting on the pedestal under the monument. She looked about 10 years old and had a pale face. Her long black hair wrapped over her shoulder as though it were a scarf. It was a frigid winter, but she was wearing only a few thin ragged layers. Her entire body was shivering. She was holding a brown package box, barehanded. The box was full of Smarties rolls. A note was stuck on the front side of the box, and it said, “Selling Smarties. $1 per roll.” Most of the time, she was just sitting down and shivering, but occasionally, she read the note out loud. It was an unsightly and disturbing situation, but no one stepped in because people were busy, and the weather was cold.

It was 5 days before Christmas. Because of the snowstorm last night, the morning routine of the people in the city got delayed. Around noon, the city started to crowd again. Underneath the statue, the girl was still holding the box. She had the same clothes, the same box, and the same number of Smarties in the box, but her face was no longer pale. It was rather red. Her red cheeks and nose were contrasting with her dull face. Her long black hair was covered with snow. Waterdrops were on her eyes, but it wasn’t clear whether those drops were tears or melted snow. Several people gave her gloves and a hat. Some people pitifully looked at her and put five dollar bills in the box. She thanked them in a weak voice. 

It was three days before Christmas. The girl was still there. This time, however, because of warmer weather and melted snow, she was standing and speaking in a louder voice. “Buy some Smarties! It’s very delicious, and it’s just a dollar per each!” Unlike two days ago, people looked at her with relieved eyes and walked away.

It was Christmas eve. The girl was still selling the candies, standing underneath the statue. In the morning, people walked fast and passed by her because they were all busy and had places to go. It started snowing. 

Later at night, when the Christmas decorations and lights were on, the city became full of warm and joyful excitement. It was still snowing. People walked fast not because they had to but to go home and sit with their families. Even the girl selling the candles at Columbus Circle had a smile on her face, although no one bought any candies from her. A lady with a paper bag was speaking on her phone. She was wearing a long black coat, maroon leather gloves, and a white knit hat. When the lady found the girl, her eyes widened. She hung up the phone and approached the child. 

“Do you want some Smarties rolls? It’s not that expensive, and it tastes good,” the girl asked.

“No, I’m good, dear, but thanks,” the lady replied politely. A crystal brooch on the lady’s black coat was shimmering. 

“Are you okay? You look… never mind. What’s your name?”

“Odina.” The girl wondered how warm the lady’s gloves would be.

“Where is your parent, honey?” 

“I actually don’t know.” The girl slowly talked while looking at the woman carefully and closely. After she answered, she didn’t take her eyes off the lady.  

“Where are you from?” The lady asked.

“I’m from Poospatuck, Long Island.” 

“The what?” The lady looked confused. 

“Poospatuck, Long Island. That’s where my home is.”

“Poos… Poo-z-pat-huk? It’s in Long Island?” 

The girl looked at the lady weirdly and nodded reluctantly. Awkward silence continued.

“Well, that’s great! Here, I think this might help you a little.” The lady took a wrapped sandwich and a carton of milk from the paper bag she was holding and gave them to the girl. 

“Thank you,” the girl said and opened the wrap. Then, she had a bite of the sandwich. 

“Hang on a sec, I’ll be right back.” The lady was watching the girl for a while and left. Soon, she came back and brought a cup of hot chocolate. 

“Here, take this.” The lady handed the girl hot chocolate. “Anything else I could help?” 

The girl shook her head because her mouth was full of the sandwich. The lady stared at the girl for a little longer. Then, she opened her wallet, took out a bunch of dollar bills, and put them in the box the girl had been holding for the past week. The girl opened her eyes with surprise. The girl seemed frozen for a while, but soon, she said “thank you” and grabbed almost all of the Smarties rolls in the box. 

“These are for you,” the girl gave the candies to the lady.

“Sweetie, I’m really okay. You just take them.”

The girl couldn’t understand. She blankly looked at the lady. “But why? You gave me money, so I’ll give you Smarties.”

The lady smiled faintly. “Sweetie, I don’t need these candies. I gave you money not because of your candies.” She paused for a while. The girl kept looking at the lady with confused eyes. 

“Now, I have to leave now. Take care, honey.” The girl watched the lady walking away.

The next day, in the morning of Christmas, underneath the statue of Chirstopher Columbus, the little girl was lying on the pedestal, clutching the box. Her eyes were closed. A bunch of candies, dollar bills, an unopened carton of milk, a piece of sandwich, and an empty cup were in the box. On her face, fear and peacefulness were blended, but she was smiling. The statue of Columbus was gloriously standing and looking over the city. However, he didn’t seem to notice that a little girl was lying down under him.

The day after Christmas, a local newspaper published an article titled “An Unkechaugi Child Froze to Death in the 21st Century New York City.”