Shattering Glass | Teen Ink

Shattering Glass

By gabrielageroninmo, Santa Ana, California
gabrielageroninmo, Santa Ana, California

SNAP! CRASH! BANG! I hear glass smash and break against some furniture in the living room. I hurry out of my room and see what it is. It's my mother and Sean arguing again. Ugh. My mother is sitting on the brown mid-century sofa while Sean is pacing back and forth grabbing and throwing wine glasses from the cabinets.

She points at Sean angrily, "Why do you always do this?"

"Ya are the one who always starts all this commotion, don’t ya see?," he says, throwing another wine glasses against the picture frame of when I graduated from junior high. 

I step in front of the door, "Guys, s-stop f-f-fighting." I stammered. They both turned their heads and stared my way.

"Why ain’t ya in ya damn room?" said Sean, my stepdad. 

* * * * *

One moment I had a dad, the other I didn’t. It all happened so fast and suddenly.  I was only 12 years old. 

"Let him go!" I screamed at them

"Get back kid," said the officer standing to the left of my dad.

"Please!" I begged the officer. "My dad didn’t do anything bad at all, why are you taking him away?" My eyes start to get watery. 

I saw it with my own eyes when my father got taken away by ICE. They just drove off as if they were taking a criminal to jail. He was just trying to live his life. It affected both my mother and I. I remember my mom and I crying so much we both fell asleep holding each other that night. My father was her only source of income therefore it meant she had to find a job to provide for herself and for me. She had to find a babysitter for me since she was working 10 hours a day at a factory. I remember my mom coming home very late at night so exhausted from work. A year went by and still no sign of my father. At this point, I was getting really worried about if I was ever going to see him again and it turns out I never did. 

* * * * *

"W-Why are you guys even f-fighting this t-time around?" I say while clutching both my hands out in confusion. 

"Ya mother will explain everything to ya later, ya got it?" he says holding back his voice.

I nod slightly.

"Hey, sweetheart, why don't you just meet me in your room in 15 minutes." My mother said, guiding me to my room. "It is all going to be okay honey, Sean and I are just discussing some important matters, isn't that right Sean?" she asked looking at him with a death stare. 

"Uhum yeah yeah." Sean sniffs, "that’s right Erika."

This fight between my mother and Sean wasn't one of those normal fights where they will make up afterward with an apology. This one felt different, maybe they're finally getting a divorce after being married for only 4 months. Finally, I'm not going to be stuck with Sean.

It's been 15 minutes and my mom isn't back yet. I wonder if she’s doing okay. 

I slowly peek out of the door, hoping to see Sean packing his things and leaving the house. To my surprise, there are a couple of suitcases and bags in the living room. I see my mom sitting on the couch once again, elbows on her knees and hands covering her face. I get closer to her and put my hand on her shoulder.

"Hey mom, are you okay?"

She looks up, I see her eyes are swollen from crying so much. She continues to sob. Sometimes I feel bad because I don’t like seeing her this weak. I sit next to her and hug her so tight, telling her everything is going to be okay. I ask if Sean is gonna leave this time for real now. 

“Hey mom, do those happen to be dads ba-" I stop. Right as I am about to ask if the bags on the broken wooden table with glass chips around are Sean's. I see Sean walking with 2 more black duffle bags

"Here are ya bags, I want ya out now! I already called my lawyer, he will contact ya in a bit, ya got it?" he says, dropping the black duffles bags along with the suitcases. 

My mom turns my way and tells me to go pack my stuff holding my hands with hers firmly. I start for my room taking little steps. I quietly and rapidly start packing my things and get out of the house. I come out of the house and see my mom waiting in the red 4runner Toyota for me with the suitcases and duffle bags in the backseat. As I hop in the car, I look back at the house. I can see Sean peeking out the window with a blank expression on his face. My mom starts driving. I ask her where we are going. She stays silent. I closed my eyes hoping I could just fall asleep. After a couple of minutes, we arrived at my aunt’s house. My mom finally says something.

"Unload the car." She says firmly. "We're staying at your aunt’s until we can find somewhere to live." 

I don’t question it and start unloading the car. I turn and see my aunt step out of the house. She gives me a big warm hug; I just lower my head down to my chest. She guides me to the living room and tells me that my mom and I are going to stay in the guest bedroom. I see the fireplace behind the blue couch that smells sweet and wood-like. There are marshmallows, chocolate, and crackers on the dark brown wooden table top. I have finally processed what just happened. I feel something inside me as if I’m about to break down. I try to hold it in, but instead, I run to the guest bedroom and start bursting into tears on a bed. I hate myself for not being strong and being so sensitive. I reach out for my stuffed teddy bear and my phone. I started texting my boyfriend. 

I’ve been together with my boyfriend for a little less than a year and a half. He’s athletic, not too smart, acts like a coward, has long dark curly hair, is about 6 feet tall; I'd say pretty tall, (or at least to me he is, considering I’m barely 5 feet tall), dark, handsome, but also an alcoholic. His parents know we're together but my mother doesn’t. Sometimes she has walked through the door when we were on facetime. She screams at me because she wants me to put my school work and academics first. I get it, she wants me to have a bright future and all, but I just want some space. 

Me: "hey…"

Jacob: "Hey you doing alr baby?"

Me: "nah not really"

Jacob: "Aww what happened baby?"

Jacob: "Did your parents get into an argument?"

Me: " yeah"

Me: "Sean was getting so mad" 

Me: "he started throwing wine glasses everywhere" 

Me: "he even ended up ruining my graduation photo from 8th grade" 

Me: "i think they’re gonna get divorced fr this time"

Me: "rn im at my aunts house since he kicked me and my mom out"

Jacob: "Oh that sounds awful"

Me: "can I call you?"

Jacob: "Yeah ofc baby"

I tell him how I wish to be with him. He always finds a way to cheer me up. That’s why I love him so much, but the one thing that sticks out to me when he is trying to comfort me is he tells me it’s all going to be okay. I believe him, but something tells me not to, I think about it, and is it really tho; is it going to be okay this time around? We called for a couple of hours until we were both frazzled and eventually knocked dead asleep together.

I wake up with red-ish swollen eyes. It's probably from all the crying last night. I go check the time. It’s 6 am, on a Monday, ugh. I should probably go shower and get ready for school. I get in the shower and get out 20 minutes later. I put some clothes on and head out to the living room. The strong fragrant smell of maple syrup tells me that we are having pancakes for breakfast. As I sit down at the dining table, my aunt walks out of the kitchen in an apron holding another stack of pancakes with her right hand and a bowl of strawberries. 

"Buenos dias Araceli," she says in a high-pitched voice while setting down the plate and bowl on the table. "How did you sleep?"

"I s-slept p-pretty well, how d-did you sleep?" I asked her.

"Bien," she says. "After you eat your breakfast I’m going to be taking you to school okay mija?"

After breakfast, I go to the restroom and brush my teeth. Then later I head to the guest bedroom where my mom is still fast asleep. I grab my backpack and head outside of my aunt’s house where she is already waiting for me in the car. She starts driving me to school. I thank her for the ride and tell her to pick me up after school at 2:30. I say my goodbyes before she drops me off at the front of the school. I walk to the side of the stairs by the office, that’s where my friends usually hang out before school starts. I see my best friend Amy, (she is the type of perfectionist and outgoing person.) I sit next to her and tell her how my weekend went. I leave her speechless. I check the time again and it’s time to go to class. I hurry to my first-period class. I open my backpack and grab my notebook. My math teacher is standing right outside the classroom with a roster marking off students who did their homework and who didn’t. 

* * * * *

I’m finally at my last period. This is the class I hate the most, I sit next to the popular girl, Sasha. She looks different today though. She seems like she’s in a good mood. Hold on, she just turned my way! Is she going to talk to me or what? 

"Heyyy Araceliii," Sasha says with a slight smile. 

I pretend not to notice her until she taps me on the shoulder "Oh hey," I say without looking up at her. 

"Hey, hey, look at me sweetie," she says pulling my chin upward and I look up at her. "Would you like to come over tonight to my place, I’m hosting a party, everyone’s going to be there."

"I’ll think about it"

"Hope to see you there," she says, giving me a wink and turning back at her computer. 

When I get to my aunt’s house, I tell my mom I’m going over to a friend’s house to study because I know she would never let me go anywhere by myself, especially not to a party so the only way is to tell her I’m going over to a friend's house. I think of what I should wear. A short hot pink dress. I go to the guest bedroom and open up one of the duffle bags that contain my clothes. I find the dress and stuff it in my backpack. My mom asks if I need a ride, I say no. Sasha doesn’t live that far from my aunt's house. It's just two blocks away. I say bye to my mom and head out of the house. As I’m walking to Sasha’s house I get this weird feeling in my stomach. I have this voice inside my head telling me, this isn’t you Araceli, don’t go to the party, what will your mother think ab-. I shake my head, take a deep breath and push these thoughts out of my mind and keep walking. I arrive at the party and see a couple of the popular kids drinking and dancing. I ask someone if they know where Sasha is. 

"H-hey excuse me," I say in a low voice while tapping some girl's shoulder.

"Hey, watch it!" she screams 

I apologize and keep looking for Sasha. I found her by the minibar.

"Hey Sasha," I said while waving.

"Ohhh heyyy welcome." She says while giving me a hug.

I hug her back and say, "Can I use your bathroom?"

"Yes of course girly, go on ahead it’s just down over there," she points at the hall. 

I quickly shove through the crowd just to get there. I open the door and close it behind me. I open my backpack and pull the dress out. I changed out of the ugly clothes into the hot pink dress. It shines against the bathroom lights. I get my makeup bag out and put on some lipstick and mascara. Jeez, I don’t even recognize myself, I look stunning. I place my backpack in the tub and pull the curtains to hide it. I get out of the restroom and start walking like a model. I feel all the energy in me. Everyone is looking my way. I head for the minibar and ask for an alcohol-free lemonade. Sasha and some of her friends come over.

“Araceli, what are you drinking?” say two girls who are holding a shot of what looks like tequila.

“A-a lemonade, why?” I ask while holding it out to them.

“Girl up, get something with alcohol in it,” says one girl while swaying back and forth.

I order a shot of vodka, another, and another until I’m completely wasted. Was I peer pressured into doing this to myself? Why did I do this to myself? It’s all so blurry to me. Everyone is moving in slow motion. I hear the police sirens and a loud knocking is running outside the house. They give me all their drinks and run as fast as ever. The last thing I see is a police officer right in front of me and it goes black.

* * * * *

I woke up in a hospital bed. I look around and read EMERGENCY ROOM in big red letters, doctors, other patients, and fluids going in my body. I think of what happened last. I sit up and see my mom talking to some doctor in the room in front of me. I see them walk towards me. My mom’s crying.

“Oh honey, you’re awake,” she says holding my hand.

“Yeah, what happened,” I ask clueless.

The doctor steps in saying something so devastating I could not believe what she was saying. Her exact words were

“You were in a coma for 10 years.”

This book has 1 comment.

417654 said...
417654, Orange, California
Love it Gaby