Does It Get Better? | Teen Ink

Does It Get Better?

March 11, 2022
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I somewhat relate to it. Also, this book was written in 1-2 months as an ELA assignment.

The author's comments:

Nope


Dear Diary:

Today Sucked. It was Monday and we had to change for PE. I forgot about my scars from summer. !Sh*t! - I thought. What am I gonna do now? I guess I won’t change today, hopefully, Mr.Glenane doesn’t get mad. As I walk out of the locker, I feel like everyone is staring at me. The school year barely started so I have no friends. I just hurried up and sat on my number. Glenane takes a long time like usual, and it makes me nervous. Will my grade go down since I am not dressed? Will they call my mom? At this point, I am scared. He takes attendance then asks me why I am not dressed for PE, I say because of something and he asks me to go up and talk to him. He says “So why a non-suit?” I pull up my sleeve and show him my scars. He says ok I understand I am so sorry, and he lets me go sit back down. I was relieved but scared because I saw some of the kids see my scars. F*CK - I say, I’m screwed.  Just as I thought my day could not get any worse, I go home and see my parents are arguing once again, and like always they put me in between their arguments. I just decided to leave them and go play soccer at the park to put my mind off of things for now. When I was done I passed the bridge and it gives me flashbacks of that night. But I also remembered about the girl. I remember her nice hair and how a beautiful girl like that would try to do something so bad. I start to wonder where is she now? I was hungry so I stopped by Raising Canes and I got some food. When I got home it was around 8 pm and the first thing I see when I walk in is my dad snoring on the couch. “It must’ve been pretty bad” - I say. I decide to go check on mom and all I see is my mom crying silently. I decided to tell her the thing she always tells me when I am crying. “Ama acuerdate, que Las Princesas nunca lloran” - I told her. And she wipes away her tears and proceeds to go to sleep. I was tired, so I headed to bed.


Day 2


Today is Tuesday but it sucked. I started my day by throwing on a random fit then I started heading to school. As I am walking down the hall I see everyone staring at me. I notice they can see some of my scars. I think “Sh*t, I’m screwed”. As I’m walking to my first class I see “her” the girl. We make eye contact and it seems like she also remembers me. She starts heading my way, she says hi, and then we start talking and I find out her name is Valerie. I told her that her name is really pretty. I finally get home. I couldn’t figure out if I was happy or if I was sad. I decided to go to the skatepark but as I was heading out, I saw that my dad was coming into the house drunk. I thought “Oh No”. The skatepark was fun. It helped clear my mind off of things. Once I got home I see mom and dad on the dinner table sitting down with an upset kind of face. They tell me “Mija ven a sentarte, te tenemos que decir algo”. They break up the news to me and say that they are getting divorced. I am out of words. 


Day 3


It’s finally Wednesday halfway through the week. I saw Valerie at school today, I told her what happened yesterday. She was understanding and she even comforted me. I am still shocked about what happened and I wonder what will happen next. When I am in nutrition mom calls me and says that dad won’t be living with us anymore. I am sad but I am also relieved, I feel relieved because now they won’t argue every day.


Day 4


It’s Thursday “FINALLY” almost done with the week. I saw Valerie so I started heading her way but then I saw her with a boy. They are talking but in a flirtatious way. I just decide to go to class. The whole day I was thinking about the boy and why was he with her?


Day 5


It is Friday, finally. Today was pretty chill and I decided to just ignore everyone else and just do my own thing. When I got home I saw dad and I ran to hug him I missed him. Dad says “Te Amo mucho Hija” I start to tear up. I noticed that he was here just to get the last of his stuff. I decided to go play soccer, just to get my mind off of some things. Once I got home I saw my mom made enchiladas de pollo. Then when we are eating at the dinner table I see that mom looks sad and does not talk at all which is weird she always asks me how school was or something. I wanted to ask her what was wrong but I was too nervous to do so.


Day 6

Its Saturday. Yes, no school. I was hungry and  I went to the kitchen and mom said that her and dad decided that every Sunday I go with my dad. I’m excited that I finally get to see him, but I am scared because it is gonna be awkward.


Day 7


It is Sunday which means I get to see dad after everything that happened. He picks me up and I can feel the awkwardness in the air. He drives somewhere that I have never gone to. I start to wonder where we are going? He finally stops. Next thing I know we are in front of some apartments. We go into apartment 7. I think whose apartment is this? And why are we here? Dad says “se que no es fancy pero es lo que puedo hacer'' At this moment I realized this is his home. This is where he now lives. We walk into one of the 2 rooms and my first impression is damn this room is pretty nice. Then he tells me that this is my room. I say really? And he said “si hija este cuarto es tuyo cuando tu quieras aquí te puedes venir a quedar conmigo, y lo puedes decorar como tu quieras”. I thank him for everything he’s done even though he hasn’t been the best dad. I still thank him for everything he has done for me and mom. We spent the day decorating and painting both our rooms. I don’t remember when was the last time I had this much fun with dad. Neither do I remember spending this much time with dad, I hardly ever spend time with dad. And I start to think maybe them splitting was a good thing.


Day 8


It’s Monday. That means I had school today. I saw Valerie at school and we shared what we did on the weekend. As we were talking the same boy came and kissed her on the cheek. I froze and I made up an excuse to leave. School finally ended and I went to mom’s house I went straight to my room and started listening to music. I started to think “Why me? Why is the whole universe always against me?”


Day 9


It was the next morning and I woke up. I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep. I must have been really tired because I fell asleep the whole day yesterday. Today I ignored Valerie the whole day at school. She kept trying to talk to me and I just stayed silent. It was going well until she came up to me and said  “Why are you ignoring me? Did I do something wrong?” You could tell she was concerned. I don’t tell her anything and I ignored her questions. When I got home, I couldn’t stop thinking if ignoring Valerie was the right thing to do. What if Val was gonna tell me something important. Oh Gosh. I wish she knew how much I actually like her. I was starting to feel really bad for ignoring her. What if I am giving her mixed signals? I decided to head to the skatepark and I was practicing my kickflips.  

 

Valerie’s POV:


I am starting to wonder if I actually love my boyfriend. I wonder if I am actually happy with him. I’m starting to think I like Emily. OMG! What if I do like her then what do I do, I feel bad leaving my bf for a girl I am not even 100% sure I like. And if I do like her how do I tell her. Does she like me back? Today she was being really distant. She was like completely ignoring me. She kept dodging my questions and didn’t even say a word to me. Did I do something wrong? 


Day 10


Another day at school. Today was pretty alright. I didn’t get to see Val today, I’m guessing she didn’t come today. The only person I saw was her boyfriend. I decided to visit dad so when I got home I got my board and headed to his place. I lowkey almost got lost but it’s cool I got there safe and sound. I got in with the key he gave me. When I walked in I smelled something good coming from the kitchen. I peeked and it was dad he was cooking. I said “Ay apa nunca me has dicho que tu podias cocinar?” He said “Hola hija, como no sabias yo soy un 5 star chef.” I laughed and he asked me if I wanted to eat and I said yes. I was starving because the school lunch was trash like always. As we were eating I asked him how he was doing and he said he was doing good which is nice to hear since you know everything happened. It was fun but I had to head home since there was school the next day.  

……….

A few months pass by and they both start to like each other more and more. They talk to each other but not a lot. They are like friends, well kind of. Then it comes to the point where Val makes up her mind and decides to end things with her boyfriend. 


Day IDEK


Today, was just like every other day until Val comes up to me and tells me that she broke up with her boyfriend. I try and comfort her in case she’s sad but then she tells me that he didn’t break up with her. She was the one who ended their relationship. I was shocked but then I asked her why? And she said that she wasn’t feeling the relationship anymore. She said that she didn’t want to be with him if she wasn’t really happy with him. I tell her to not worry that she will find someone better, someone, who truly loves her. Then it hits me, she’s single. That means that I have a chance with her. 


Valerie’s POV


I finally told her. I told her that I broke up with him. I start to think and then it hits me I actually really like Emily. But how can I tell her that? How do I show her that I truly love her? OMG I can ask her to go to the movies with me, kind of like a date. It’s the next day and I decided to ask her if she would like to go to the movies with me. She says “yes, but is it like a date?” I told her “If you consider it a date then yea”. 

……….

Omg, I can’t believe it. She asked me to go to the movies with her. My heart is racing so fast. I can’t believe it maybe I can finally shoot my shot with her. 

……….

They proceed to go on the “date” and they both had lots of fun. Then they went on a couple of more of these “dates” together and they get super close to each other. Until on one of the dates something happened.

 

Valerie’s POV


Ok. I think today is the day. I am finally gonna tell her how I truly feel about her. 


Emily’s POV


We’ve gotten really close and I have been liking her more and more every day. I’m ready, I’m gonna tell her how I really feel. 


The Next Day


We are watching a movie and next thing you know Valerie’s hand is on mine. I decided to be bold and hold her hand. I can feel the butterflies in my stomach. Once the movie ended we were walking out and in front of the beautiful water fountain, I stop Val. We are face to face and I hold her hand and I lean in and kissed her. She kisses me back. I proceed to tell her that I love her and then she says “I love you, Emily, I always have.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.