Lindark | Teen Ink

Lindark

By zanderslack, Monroe, Wisconsin
zanderslack, Monroe, Wisconsin

Each of these pieces contains formatting that is unfortunately unable to be displayed within these text boxes, including colors, fonts, and spacing that are not able to be portrayed. 

Document A: Omnipedia page of Lindark (Restored pre-deplatforming of 2045)
Deplatforming has been defined as an "attempt to boycott a group or individual through removing the platforms (such as speaking venues or websites) used to share information or ideas," or "the action or practice of preventing someone holding views regarded as unacceptable or offensive”

Contents:
1 Demographics
[...]
4.1 Blue light installation
[...]
8 Notable Figures

Demographics_________________________ [edit]
Lindark is a city in southeastern Washington County, York, Conglomerated Commonwealth. As of the 2050 Conglomerated Commonwealth Census, the city’s population was 3,876,244[1][2] reflecting an increase of 32,511 (+0.85%) from the 3,843,733 counted in the 2040 Census [...]

Blue Light Installation____________________ [edit]
This article is about blue lights within the Northern section of Lindark. Otherwise, see blue light (disambiguation).
The blue light installation project began in January of 2044, to combat the excessive rate of violent crime. Although the crime rate slightly lowered, the suicide rate had increased within the entirety of Lindark. (Update with Statistics: Last Updated: 7/17/49) Surveys on Lindark city upkeep returned a “dissatisfied” rating (⅖)[1][2][5]. The city had then abandoned the project after a 2 month period. The abandonment of the project gave the northern sector the iconic[4] flickering cobalt [...]

Notable Figures __________________________ [edit]
Ken Foreman (born September 25, 2036)[1] was an author, poet, bioethicist, and social advocate, the current leader of the SHRA.[1][2] Born and raised within the Eastern Sector York, Conglomerated Commonwealth, he graduated within the East York Manor Liberal Arts School with a bachelor’s degree in Creative Writing in 2052. He is best known for his pieces of poetry, his work as a playwright, and his writing in the fields of reproductive ethics, and Synthetic-Human consciousness.[1] Foreman’s initial burst of popularity emerged from a diary entry located within the rubble of former apartment complex A12, destroyed during the SHRA riots. These entries began investigation of political corruption, which were abruptly halted for unknown reasons. However, many conspiracy theories have emerged. Foreman’s poetry collection “Disassembly” inspired by these events, won the Griffin Poetry Prize in 2054.

Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s                    744

Document B: Ken Foreman’s Haiku Collection “Disassembly”

Strange
Consciousness is strange,
what gives us the right to say
who is deserving?

Choices
Choose: Metal or flesh.
Metal? Wrong choice bud, sorry.
You are not the same.

Differences
Differences? Many.
Casualties, aplenty.
Why won’t they ever stop?..

2043
Four-hundred-one holes.
Four-hundred-one bullets.
Four-hundred-one lives.

Rights
Rights are wrong for you,
not me though, I’m real, you’re not.
You don’t deserve them.

745 Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s

Document C: Diary Entry or Letter. Personal Effects of an unknown author, later discovered as Ken Foreman, witness of the 2043 Protests, age 7.

3/28/43 12:05pm-12:13pm
This morning I saw so many people in the streets holding signs and shouting. I didn’t know what was happening at first, but the news lady said they were protesting for the rights of the Robot people they made for the wars. I don’t really get it though, why wouldn’t they be people? Sure they don’t have parents or anything, but they can still think and feel. I’ve only seen a few and they always smile at me :). I think they’re cool and the SHRA people shouldn’t have to scream so loud to make them be people too.
-Until Tomorrow
KF

3/28/43 10:07
I miss when it was just signs
its so loud outside
theres so much screaming and fire
whats happening?
The news lady says the SHRA attacked the police officers
its a lot quieter under my bed
but its still so loud
Someone please help me

Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s                    746

Document D: Omnipedia Page of Synthetic Human Rights [by country or territory] (Restored pre-deplatforming of 2045)

Proposed Laws within the Conglomerated Commonwealth

The SHRA (Synthetic Human Rights Activists) have composed laws that could potentially affect Synthetic Humans. These include, but are not limited to the following:

Laws concerning the recognition of cross-Synthetic marriages including: civil unions and domestic partnerships.

Laws concerning Synthetic parenting, including adoption by Synthetic Humans.

Anti-discrimination laws in employment, housing, education, and public accommodations.

Hate crime laws imposing enhanced criminal penalties for prejudice-motivated violence against Synthetic people.

Laws related to military service.

Laws concerning access to assisted reproductive technology.

Sodomy laws that penalize consensual cross-Synthetic sexual activity. These may or may not target specific sexual preference of both Synthetic and human origin.

Age of consent laws that may impose higher ages for cross-Synthetic sexual activity.

Legal recognition and accommodation of reassigned Synthetic gender.

Document E: Omnipedia Page of Synthetic Human Rights [by country or territory] (Post-deplatforming of 2079)

The Synthetic Human Rioters Army or "Army of Bots'', is a supremacist group [7] and militant organization based in Lindark. [8] The SHRA was founded by unknown terrorists which denied responsibility for various mass casualty attacks against the Eastern community in Lindark [11], including multiple riots that killed over 30 peacekeeping officers in 2043. The SHRA has since been taken over by synthetic rights activists Ken Foreman, Gabriel Whit, Hollow (Page does not exist), and D.A. Blackski.

747 Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s

Document F: Authentic Draft Letter

LINDARK DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE AND SECURITY
12 Apr 43

From: Corporal of Squadron 14-S (Synthetic Platoon)

Subject: DRAFT REQUEST TO ACTIVE MILITARY DUTY

Encl: (1) Instructions of synthetic human ID: #14-H
(A.K.A. “Hollow”)

(2) Congressional approved Date of Arrival

(3) Cause of Draft

Synthetic ID: 14-H {Product of Nebulanology LLC.} is hereby notified on the 12th day of April, 2043, synthetic human
ID: 14-H (A.K.A. “Hollow”) was drafted into the service of The Conglomerated Commonwealth for a period of undetermined length, and may be held following any resolution of conflict for further assistance of militarization.

Via an act of Congress, all synthetic humans will report on or before the 20th of April, 2043, at the place of rendezvous, Lindark military base (40.6220° N, 74.2446° W), or be deemed a deserter, and be subject to the penalty described in Rules and Articles of War.

This draft is coordinated in an effort to reduce violence demonstrated within the political capital Lindark, as posed by the terrorist group ‘SHRA’. After the Peacekeeping Riots of March 28, 2043, military response was deemed to be required within neighboring political bodies.

Formally,
x Corporal Stadfield                                        Squadron 14-S

Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s                     748

Document H: Cross Synthetic Letters of Love- Delivered during War

May 11th, 2044
Hello, Hollow, my love.
It's been quite some time since you’ve written back. I understand of course, but that doesn’t stop me from missing you. I hiked that one trail we went before you were deployed, it’s as beautiful as the day you had to go. I stood atop the ledge, looking down at that ocean of pine trees, and it was really foggy. It was a beautiful mix of stone and mist across the way, by those mountains you swore that you could climb.
Despite looking at all of that, and intaking all of that beauty, your face was all that I could see. I could only feel the coldness in my hands, but not from the chill in the air, but because you weren’t holding them. The soreness that was in my chest, in my heart. They say that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but every moment I’m not with you, it brings me sorrow.
My soul longs to be with you once more, but they’ve taken you away from me. I know your heart lies with all that we’ve fought for, keep your mind clear of the lies they try to tell you.

I know its not in your control, but please hurry home, I need you.
Forever your beloved partner,
D.A.

749 Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s

2040’s Lindark
The city of Lindark has been a centerpiece of social, econ- -omic, and debate of synthet- -ic rights for decades, ever since its establishment in the early 1940s.

The 2040’s however, was a time of major political imbal- -ance, carefully attempting to adhere to newfound rights and morality issues regarding the addition of the newfound Synthetic Humans. These issues have since dwindled out, with the creation of the 2072 Synthetic Human Righ- -ts act.

Ken Foreman
A notable political figure, born on September 25th, 2036, is mainly known for his collection “Disassembly” [Document B].

These pieces were inspired by the events he witnessed at the age of seven, and entries were found within the rubble of the apartment complex he resided in as a child. The significance of this diary entry is that it is of the first accounts of the 2043’s infamous Peacekeeping Riots, that was not deplatformed by the Conglomerated Commonwealth

These pieces show the political instability of the times, as well as a satirical view of synthetic human

rights, showing the perspective of a realist, a group of individuals that did not agree with treating Synthetic Humans as equals to Humans.

Due to its cultural significance, this poetry collection won the National Griffin Poetry Award in 2054.

14-H Hollow
Another figure of great importance to this era is Synthetic Human Hollow, sometimes referred to by his
identification number 14-H.

His importance to this era lies mainly on his contributions to the political boundary protection project soon after the numerous deaths of Peacekeeping officers in the 2043 Synthetic Human Peacekeeping riots.

Seen in document F, Hollow, as well as all other Synthetic humans of this time were drafted to the aforementioned political boundary protection project. While Synthetic Humans were drafted, all human soldiers that were present had no requirements to be present, sparking
political debate.

Unit 11: Rights of Synthetic Humans: 2040s                    750