Tackling the Test | Teen Ink

Tackling the Test

By TaylorSchaumberg, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin
TaylorSchaumberg, Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin

Author's note:

I love all sports although my favorite one is football. I also train and practice a lot to become great in them.

I stand on the 25-yard line as I feel the gentle breeze from the north against my legs. The sun beats down on the turf pellets in the endzone at midfield of Pineview Stadium, home of the Pineview Cardinals. It’s a beautiful Saturday afternoon which isn’t rare as it stays warm in Florida. I smell the humid air filled with a hint of sweat as I look at the score to see that we are losing 24-21 with 2:21 seconds left in the game. I feel the butterflies in my stomach as I scan the stands, already spotting scouts from schools like Alabama, Wisconsin, and Florida State. All of them wearing light coats with their team's logo on them. I also see people from all over coming to make this game an incredible atmosphere. Some scouts don’t believe that my talent is worth it so now I have to prove it to them. To show them that I could be their running back in the future. We are already a lock for the playoffs but by doing something great today, I could brighten my future so much as this is my senior season and I’m looking for a place to go and compete next year. My team, the Booker Prep Bears, stood in front of the visiting stands where I could hear so much criticism and shouting towards my teammates throughout the game. I hear the play call, a quick slant to my best friend Coby, a wide receiver. Coby and I are so close because we’ve been together every step of the way since we were little kids in the neighborhood. He, besides my parents, has always been my biggest fan, running with me to the end zone as we celebrate together. I control my focus back into the game now as I try to line up right behind Zack, the quarterback.

“Ready, set, hike,” I hear Zack yell and I’m off like the wind, protecting Zack from an oncoming blitz as I watch the beautiful spiral hit Coby in the chest for a solid twelve-yard gain. I begin to relax as I realize we still have two minutes left to play. Coach Myers eases up on his play-calling and lets the clock run down to a minute fifty. He calls another play, the same as last except the opposite way to Marquise. Same result as last except only an eight-yard gain this time. 

“Jalen, are you good?” I look over to see the coach staring right at me.

“Yeah I’m feeling great right now,” I respond, hoping to see the ball come my way now. I line back up, hearing Coach call out the code for the next play. My eyes get big, wondering did he really just call this? I look at my wrist coach just to double-check.

“Yes!” I whisper so only I can hear. He called a toss just for me. I’ve got this, I’ve got this, I think to myself when I hear Zack’s cadence. 

“Hike!” 

I run straight to my left as I watch the ball come into my hands. I watch Chris, my favorite lineman blow somebody up as I cut straight up and here the crowd begin to fill up with life. I begin to head down the sideline as I cut off of Coby’s block, it’s a foot race now. I look to my right, seeing Pineview’s safety, making an angle for me, and pursuing. Twenty-five yards to go now. The safety gets close and goes for the big hit. I think of all the time I have spent trying to get my vertical higher so that I can leap over defenders. It’s time, I think to myself. This is going to be the first time I ever attempt this in a real game. I Ieap up, my legs bending upward over the defender.

As I stroll into the endzone, it hits me. I just hurdled a defender and scored the game-winning touchdown with scouts here to watch! The rush of excitement comes over me. I turn to my right to see Coby jumping up and down with the biggest smile I’ve ever seen.

“Lets go baby!” I hear him yell. His smile is as bright as the sun.

Our defense shuts them down and we win the game. I run over to the stands quickly to see my parents. 

My dad tells me “Great game, bud,” as my mom gave me a kiss on the cheek.

I return to school on Monday, walking in with Coby as I see a herd of students coming our way to congratulate us. I’m sure that the entirety of this small town of Booker knows all about the game on Saturday since I saw the newspaper that was delivered and it read “Jalen Jefferson does it again!” 

I walk into my first-hour math class with all of my folders and notebooks in my hands when I feel like I have just been slapped in the face. A sour taste reaches my tongue. I totally forgot that I’m failing this class! I remember that the quarter ends Friday and if I don’t get my grade up, I can’t play football! And if I fail, I can’t graduate either which would just diminish all of my hopes for playing college football. Although there’s only one thing that can change this. I remember that I have to get at least an A- on the test coming up on Wednesday. Chills go down my spine as I just think of the test. I sit and wonder “How am I even going to be able to do that good?” I already know that my mom is going to want to get me a tutor, but that would be really embarrassing and I already barely talk to people the way it is since I’m shy and laid back. I go through the rest of the day doing nothing but thinking about this problem that I’m going to have to face head-on. As soon as I walk through the front door of the house, my mom is already there waiting for me. At five foot eleven, two hundred five pounds, I am about six inches taller than her and I stand over as she looks up at me.

“I looked at your grades today, Jalen.” She says.

“Yeah I know, I’m failing math, mom.” I respond

“Jalen, I think that neighbor boy of ours could give you some assistance with this.”

“Aaron? I haven’t talked to him in so long and it’s just going to be embarrassing for me. What kind of 5-star recruit needs a tutor?”

“Jalen, it’s either you get a tutor so that you can play, or you fail the quarter and you don’t play and don’t graduate.” Her words were quiet but very powerful at the same time. 

“Ok mom, fine.”

“I already called him before you got home because I knew you had no choice. He said he could come over in an hour when he had time.”

I sit on my bed just to think about what was all going on. I can’t believe this is all happening. I lay down and put my head on the white pillow, which gives me some comfort and nearly fall asleep until I hear the ring of the doorbell. I know it’s going to be Aaron so I get up, grab my notebook and answer the door. Aaron and I are each seniors at Booker although he only plays basketball and is very smart when it comes to math. His bright and positive attitude forces me to smile a bit as he enters the house. 

“I realize this is going to be tough for you but I know you can definitely learn this algebra test as long as you allow me to help you with what you are struggling with.” He said. I find it in myself to accept this statement and at least try to learn the topic. 

After about two hours, Aaron finally said this was enough for one night. I’m already feeling better about myself and this test. Aaron was helping me solve problems to find x and y which was very difficult for me at first. I learned that you had to solve for x first and then plug the answer back in to find y. This new confidence that I have found even made me have a little fun with it too, as we begin to form a bond. I go to bed with a new hope that I’ve got this.

Tuesday went by like the flip of a switch. I felt confident throughout the day and all my other classes were a breeze since I understood the context and my grades were good in them too. Aaron and I spent another hour and a half studying and spent the last half hour doing a practice test. This could show him how much I knew and I actually scored 95 percent! I keep telling myself “I know I can do this tomorrow.” 

I wake up with the sun blinding my eyes. It’s the big day, Wednesday, the day that I take the big algebra test. I go downstairs and eat a bowl of Fruit Loops before brushing my teeth and then getting dressed. Today I decided to go with light, khaki shorts to go along with a red and white Booker Varsity Football t-shirt. 

As I walk into class, still feeling confident but anxious as well, knowing math is my Achilles heel. Mrs. Brown greets me as I walk through the door and I go to sit at my desk in the back of the room and wait for the bell to ring. As soon as the bell rings Mrs. Brown passes out the test. I look at it, nervous now as I see five pages although soon relieved that 2 pages are straight multiple choice. I look at the first problem which looks a lot like the ones that Aaron and I worked on at home. I know I can do this. I've worked so hard to get here and now I just have to come through with it.

When I arrive at the locker room after school for football practice, I looked to see if Mrs. Brown has put my test grade in yet as she promised to the class. I log into my account, afraid to press the button to see what it was but still curious at the same time. I softly tap it with shaking hands. Sure enough… I aced it! I feel so good now that that is off of my back and I quickly pad up to head out. 

As I walk through the hallway, I see Aaron and hug him so tight I could probably take the air out of him.

“I knew you could do it, bro!” He tells me and I walk out into the sunny, Florida weather feeling great about what I have achieved today. I remember that now I can graduate and go to a school to play the sport that I love. 

“I owe you,” I finally respond with excitement.

When I arrive home, I tell both my mom and dad that I aced the test and they become filled with a type of joy that I haven’t seen in a while now. My mom hugs me and says “I knew you had it in yourself to do it.” 

It is Friday now. After a long, winding path with lots of ups and downs, I decide to make my commitment to a college today. I find myself sitting at a table surrounded by my mom and dad. The colorful hats of a dozen schools all waiting to snatch me. I see a whole scene of a hundred people including reporters waiting for my final decision. There are so many opportunities, although I find myself still questioning and wondering “where will I go?”