Finding Answers | Teen Ink

Finding Answers

By Mohnie, Lagos, Other
Mohnie, Lagos, Other

Life is like a flute, that has many holes and emptiness but if worked on carefully it can play magical melodies.

Author's note:

You're going to love this book.

This is where it all began.

GENESIS

All eyes centred at that damsel that just resumed in our school ‘Tall Wood Senior High’, rumours had gone round that she is a juvenile delinquent that just got released.

‘Get me my History, Art and Geography textbooks’ Dani ordered.

‘Your locker pin, is it 2 before 3 or otherwise?’ Ashley asked.

‘When will you learn? It’s 3 before 2 dummy’

‘Sorry’ Ash mumbled.

‘Well from what I have here a new juvi student just joined us and she’s a beauty’ Evans said.

‘What! Let me see her picture. Dani screamed.

‘Hey Daniella, good morning’ Said Alexander her boyfriend.

‘Enough with the polite greetings Alex. I’m sad’ she said pouting.

Alex leaned closer and gave her a peck on her head.

‘Are you happy now?’ He asked smiling.

‘No!’ She said firmly and crossed her arms over her chest.

‘Why aren’t you happy?’ Alex asked with concern written all over his face.

‘Cos Trisha isn’t here to update me on my followers on instagram’ she whined.

‘Well I could help you…’

‘Hey guys’ Said Trisha still panting as all eyes turned to stare at her.

‘Well it took you a million years to get here this morning’ Dani said glaring at Trisha.

‘Well good morning to you too and the latest update on your followers is that you now have seven thousand followers and you can have more if you decide to be polite’ Trisha said.

‘Well I never needed your advice but since you’ve given it let me tell you the truth; it’s very useless’ she said already annoyed and turned to Evans

‘Why are people unfollowing me?’ she asked with disgust.

‘Well according to my research all Tall Wood students unfollowed you’ Evans replied.

‘That’s plus me because I’m done with you pushing me around like a dummy and I’ve had enough of your commands. Everyone is following Crosby Amber; the new student’ Trisha said frowning.

‘Who the hell is Crosby Amber?’ asked Dani.

‘Sorry to burst your bubble Amber is my cousin’ said Trisha with pride.

‘Oh really, you didn’t tell me you had a riff raff that was in juvi in your family’ she said with disgust.

‘Is this true?’ asked Alex.

‘What in the world is going on here?’ said Ash.

‘Well that’s 90% true according to my research...’ Evans said.

‘No one wants to listen to how true your research is and Trisha would you please do me a favour, get lost!’ Said Dani smiling deviously.

‘Well good luck with this rotten attitude of yours’ Trisha said with confidence.

A unique shape caused ripples among the students as they split into two for someone to pass. A damsel with blonde hair and a pair of eyes that pierce into the soul, coupled with an all round package, lovely long legs, smooth skin and a captivating oval face with a beautiful smile. It was Crosby Amber.

‘Oh! Trisha, I almost got lost if not for this nice guy ummm …. Andrew that brought me here’ said Amber in the most angelic and gentle voice anyone had ever heard.

‘Sorry to have kept you waiting, let’s get to class’ Trisha said.

‘Alright let’s go’ I said meekly.

As we walked down the hallway everyone seemed to be staring at me so I wondered what the matter was

‘Do I look awkward? Or is my dressing off?’ I asked Trisha.

‘Nope, they’re staring at you because you look beautiful’ Trisha said with a smile.

‘Thanks Trisha’

‘It’s nothing cousin’ Trisha said.

‘So what’s with that your friend? The atmosphere back there seemed tensed’ I asked with concern

‘Nothing much, I just had to let some things go and accept some things’ Trisha said.

‘Like what?’ I asked.

“Girl is this how inquisitive you naturally are?’

“No, way more inquisitive’ I said with a laugh.

As we got to my first class it was Government {my favourite topic} and Andrew; my first friend was there so I took a seat next to him. For the first time I felt what my former best friend Vanessa would call an awkward silence.

‘Hi Andrew, I guess I forgot to introduce myself; I’m Amber Crosby. Thanks for helping me earlier’

‘Yeah, it’s okay’

As I continued listening I realised that it was only Andrew and I that were listening to the government teacher whom I later got to know as Mrs. Anderson. The girls eyes were fixed on Andrew and the boys’ eyes were glued to me {not that I was comfortable with it}

After the class Trisha pulled me aside.

‘Why did you sit next to Andrew?’

“Cos that was the only seat left in the class. Is there a problem with that?’

‘Yeah’

‘What?’

‘Find out’ She said with a smirk.

‘Please…’ I begged

‘Not telling you’ she said playfully.

‘Final verdict?’ I asked

‘Final verdict’ she said

‘Alright then’ I said with a playful grin.

Taking exception to insults.

It became a routine from day one to have Andrew pick me up from my house to school.

‘Good morning’ I said hopping into Andrew’s car

‘Hey, you good?’ He said.

‘Yeah I’m good. You?’

‘I’m good’

‘For some weeks now I actually wanted to ask you why you don’t say good morning’

‘I don’t know’ He replied.

‘Oookay’

‘I know you wanna say something just say it’ He said still driving.

‘Oh, you know me too well. Well… in the next few days is your birthday so I want you to give me a hint on what you want for your present’

‘Oh’ He said and chuckled.

‘What?’

‘It’s just so funny, buy anything you want it’s up to you girl’ He said already laughing loudly.

‘Ping’

It was my phone. I just got a message.

Trisha: - Hey morning.

Amber: - I’m good. So how’s Andrew?

Amber: - When did you start asking about Andrew?

Trisha: - Since when you guys started dating.

Amber: - He is my best friend not my boyfriend.

Just then Andrew playfully collected my phone and said ‘Why are you frowning so much? Or is some guy bothering you?’

‘No just give me my phone’ I said smiling.

‘Unless you do whatever I tell you to do’ He said laughing.

‘Okay’

‘Bark like a dog’

‘I don’t know how to make animal noises’

‘Hey chill baby girl’ He said mockingly.

‘You know I hate it when anyone calls me baby girl’

‘Yep that’s exactly why I said it’

‘You’re a trouble maker’ I said.

‘But you seem pretty happy when I call you baby girl’ He said.

“No I don’t” I said and hit him on his arm.

‘Oh no! You’re a natural disaster. Do you want us to have an accident? If not for the superman sitting next to you we could have had an accident’

‘Oh I don’t see superman’ I said smiling about how highly he thinks of himself.

‘But it’s unfair how you treat me like a kid’ I said pouting.

‘I can’t believe no guy has asked you out. You look so…nah’

‘I look so what? Say I for once Andrew, I look so beautiful’

‘Nope you look like porridge’ He said laughing.

‘How could you say that?’ I said frowning.

‘Cause I don’t want your head to swell too much’

‘Awwwwwwnnnnnnn thanks’

‘You’re welcome. Here your phone’ He said handing my phone over to me.

‘Thanks’ I said seeing the school in sight already. The parking lot was already filled with students. As Andrew and I walked into the school Dani, Ashley and Evans were outside the school talking and laughing but immediately they saw us Dani’s countenance changed instantly.

‘Alex would you please tell Andrew to stop hanging out with a juvi’ Dani said.

‘Why?’ Alex asked.

‘Cos she sends chills running through my spine’

‘Oh really… I see’ He said with a smirk and walked over to us.

‘Hey Andrew, hello Amber’

‘Hi’ we both said.

‘So I see you’re with your girl but we need to talk urgently’ He said sounding irritated.

‘She’s not my girl, she’s my best friend’

‘Oh really! Best friend indeed.’ He said sarcastically.

‘Yeah I thought I already made it clear that she’s my best friend. Be very careful, don’t start what you can’t finish’ He said gritting his teeth.

‘Hey Andrew look at me it’s enough lets go’ I said.

‘Oh really! Little Miss Juvi is protecting her mysterious boy friend’ He said and chuckled.

As I turned side wards to see Andrew’s reaction, all I could see was Alex on the floor with Andrew punching him. Hot uncontrollable tears came out of my eyes as I pleaded for Alex.

‘Please Andrew, leave him….. Let’s go it’s enough don’t hurt him please’ I pleaded.

But by this time students had gathered round them chanting ‘Alexander the great has fallen and Andrew the demi god has risen’

They continued chanting to the rhythm they had created. As the fight continued the chants grew louder and louder thereby drawing the attention of the teachers. Immediately the teacher’s presence was noticed all the students left but all that was left was Andrew punching Alex.

I sat outside the Principal’s office waiting for Andrew to come out I thought about the reason for the fight.

‘Little Miss Juvi is protecting her mysterious boyfriend’

As soon as I remembered hot tears threatened to spill to my face, the more I tried to hold it back the more it threatened to spill. As the tears came in full force I couldn’t control it. Just then someone sat down beside me and placed a hand on my shoulders. Immediately I looked up, I saw Andrew with wet eyes.

‘Don’t cry’ He said wiping my tears.

As I placed my head on his chest I felt some tears drop on my hair and on my jeans.

‘I’ll make sure he pays for making you cry but not today because I’ll be in detention’ Andrew said softly but I could hear the anger and tears behind his voice.

Wiping my tears I said ‘Never mind I’ll be okay’

‘Are you sure you’ll be okay?’ He asked.

‘Yeah, you just take care of yourself we’ll see tomorrow’

‘Yeah, I’ve got something to tell you tomorrow’

‘Alright I guess we’ll see tomorrow’

‘Yeah bye’ Andrew said with a wave

‘Bye’ I replied with a wave as I turned back and walked through the empty hallway remembering what led me to juvi. Just then a realisation hit me; it has been several weeks since Andrew and I started handing out but he never asked me about my private life or why I went to juvi. Then I smiled to myself and thought ‘What a wonderful best friend I have’

And then I started wondering, ‘why is Andrew mysterious to everyone and not me?’

‘And why did Alex have to embarrass me in front of the whole school, what have I ever done to deserve that?’

Just then I heard some voices from the arts room and I was so sure I knew those voices. Yep! It was Daniella and Ashley.

Something to tell.

‘Yeah I’ve got a feeling that Alex is going to be in detention too’ that was Dani

‘Yeah me too, you should have seen Amber when she was trying to separate Alex and Andrew she looked very cute. She looked like a comic character’ said Ashley

‘Stop praising her let’s just stick to the plan on ground and get this over with okay’

‘Okay’ said Ashley

‘Are you sure she’ll come?’ Dani asked

‘Yeah, I’ll make sure everything is perfect’ Ashley said

‘Don’t forget to inform Evans on the change of plans’ Dani said

‘Sure I’m just so happy to see Trisha again, I missed her so much’ said Ashley happily

‘Now tell me, why in the world are you happy. I’ll make sure her and her picture perfect cousin pay for what they did to me’ Dani said as they both left the arts room

‘What in the world did I ever do to Dani and her gang that they are all so against me’ I asked myself as I walked down the hallway.

THE NEXT DAY

‘Andrew do you think Trisha should go for the party?’ I asked

‘Why do you ask?’ He asked

‘Duh… she’s my cousin and for all she’s done for me I feel that I should be able to stop people from hurting her’ I said

‘Hmmmmnnnnn…. It’s odd for Dani to invite someone she’s not on good terms with to a party’

‘Never mind I’ll warn Trisha when I see her. And the other day you said you wanted to tell me something’ I asked

‘Oh yeah, about that…’ He said and trailed off

‘Any problem?’ I asked with concern written all over my face

‘Let’s go to a quiet place’ He said

‘Library?’ I suggested

‘Yeah the library would be fine’ He said as we walked to the library

‘I guess I have to let all the pain out today’ Andrew thought to himself

On getting to the library Alex was seated at the far right corner of the library. As soon as he saw us he and Andrew made quick glances at each other

‘Is it me or you and Alex just…?’ I said and trailed off

‘That’s exactly what I want to speak to you about’ Andrew said

‘Oh no! You don’t mean it’ I said backing away from Andrew

‘Calm down…please sit down and listen to me’ He said gesturing for me to sit down

Immediately I sat next to him he said ‘I’m sorry it took this long for me to tell you this Amber’ He apologised

‘I want you to listen to everything I’m gonna say. Okay?’He asked

‘Okay’ I responded

‘Alright, when I was little my mom had this best friend that they did everything together. They both gave birth on the same day but her best friend Hannah sent her baby to her husband in Australia for reasons I don’t know till now. Everyone said the children looked alike but my mom wasn’t comfortable with that every time pictures were sent from Australia I felt like I was looking at a slightly different picture of myself. A few months after my tenth birthday mom decided to question dad’ Andrew said and looked at this palm

‘Andrew is everything okay?’ I asked him

‘Yeah, I just have so much bottled in’ He responded

‘You can tell me if anything is bothering you. And at anytime you want’ I said

‘No, I want to finish what I started’ Andrew said enthusiastically

‘That night mom had just tucked me in, after a few minutes I heard mom screaming at the top of her voice. I got up from my bed and walked to the living room to hear what was going on properly

‘Kelvin you’re lying to me’ Mom said

No response

‘Look me into the eye and tell me the truth, you’re in love with another woman aren’t you?’ Mom said raising her voice

‘Don’t you dare raise your voice at me woman’ Dad said in a harsh voice

‘When in the world did you start referring to me as woman’ she asked

‘Ever since you killed the excitement in this marriage’ He answered

‘Oh really! I killed the excitement in this marriage? We had the most sizzling marriage among our peers; everyone wanted our type of relationship. Why is it different now?’ She asked in almost tears

‘Even I thought his heart could have softened seeing her almost in tears’ Andrew said

‘Our marriage could have still had the spice it started with if you hadn’t birthed such a feather-brained child’ He said

Just then mom got very angry and gave dad a hot slap

‘Ah’ I gasped {Amber}

‘Dad retaliated by pushing mom to the wall, he kept on punching and beating her. I couldn’t watch my mom crying like a baby and pleading for mercy from my dad so I ran to hold my dad ;immediately he noticed I was holding him he turned to me and held my neck and raised me up, I was chocking and pleading but he turned deaf ears to my pleads. He carried me and smashed me into the aquarium, mom screamed and bit dad at his back’ Andrew continued

‘You don’t need to say this Andrew’ I said trying to stop him

‘No, I want to be plain with you. No secrets’ Andrew said and I agreed with a slight nod urging him to go on.

‘Dad got enraged but mom kept on talking’ Andrew said

‘You’re beating me because of another woman. Just tell me you don’t love me and I’ll accept it’ Mom said gritting her teeth in pain

‘You’ve still got the guts to speak’ He said and carried the lamp stand and hit her over and over again’

‘No’ I said screaming with all my might, just then I realised that I was swimming in the pool of my blood

As the tears dropped to my jeans the pain and heartache I tried to forget all came back to me hunting me as Amber sobbed softly reminding me of my mom when I hurt my knee during my football game. She looked like she was about to cry. I was indeed her treasure like she always said.

To die is to live in the memory of those we have impacted on.

‘Andrew…. Are you awake’ I heard
No reply
‘Andrew please wake up its mommy

‘Mom, I thought I told you I hated it when you say mommy’ I said opening my eyes to a strange environment

My mom laughed with tears flowing down her beautiful face.

‘I thought I lost you baby’ She said still crying

‘Mom what’s going on? Where am I? Is everything okay?’ I asked already panicking

‘You’re at the hospital’ Dad answered walking through the door and placed his hand on my mom’s shoulder and immediately the events of the other night flooded into my head causing my heart to beat faster.

‘OMG Kelvin our baby is back’ Mom said sobbing with her head buried in dad’s arms

‘I’ve missed you rookie’ Dad said and touched my face but I flinched in fear. Mom noticed my reaction and asked ‘Baby, what’s going on?’

‘Nothing mom. I just want to know how long I’ve been here’

‘Almost a month now’ she answered holding dad’s hand

‘But in a few days he’ll be set to go back home’ Said Doctor Philip {our family doctor} walking into the ward eyeing dad suspiciously

‘I’ll go with Doc. to settle the bills’ He said and kissed mom on her head and looked at me and said ‘I’ll be back rookie’

‘Why does he call you Rookie?’ Amber asked

‘He said I was the beginning of something new in his life’ Andrew replied

‘Now back to my story’ Andrew said

‘Mum, I’ve got to use the lavatory’ I said

‘Sure go ahead’

As I stood up and left the ward I walked to Doctor Philip’s office but when I got there he was talking about the quantity required for poison to a female patient but since my dad wasn’t there I returned to my ward. I felt that my dad was planning to do something suspicious but I couldn’t place a finger on what he was doing                                                                                                                                                 

2 MONTHS AFTER THE ACCIDENT

On entering Hannah’s house she asked me ‘Andrew dear, is there a problem? Or are you feeling sick?’

‘No, I’m okay’ I replied

‘Okay’ she said turning to my mom

‘He doesn’t speak much’ Mom said

‘Since when Darlene?’ She asked

‘Since the accident’ Mom said a bit downcast

Dad had gone to get some lettuce for us and was meant to be back in a few minutes. As mum and Hannah chatted away, mum got tired and went in the living room to call dad

‘Sorry to cut you short but why were you in Hannah’s house?’ Amber asked

‘Well, every Saturday we all go to Hannah’s house for a family dinner since Donald; her husband died

‘Oh’ Amber said

‘I loved looking at mom while she mixed the ingredients and performed her magic while cooking. So I went to Hannah’s kitchen and sat at a corner and watched her while she was cooking. She stopped for awhile and looked around if anyone else was there and she quickly brought out a bottle with the word poison boldly written on it and sprinkled it in mom’s food. On seeing that I ran out and told mom but she said it was salt. I persisted but….sh…..she…..didn’t listen’ Andrew said as the words became sobs

Images of my own past that I tried so hard to forget became real again as I coaxed Andrew

‘Dad came back from the grocery store and said she had an announcement’

‘Alex is coming back home in a month’s time, firstly because he can’t live with his grandparents in Australia since his dad is dead and secondly because one of my good friends just died’ She said and paused looking around deviously for the effect of her words

‘Go upstairs and play upstairs honey’ Mom said to me

‘Okay mom’ I replied and went up the empty rooms to play a boxing game but after a while I felt uncomfortable and decided to sit on the stairs.

‘He can live with us while you prepare the room for him’ Mom said

‘Thank you Darlene, you’ve always been a great friend to me.’

‘It’s no problem what are friends for? Or even best friends?’ Mom asked

‘So what happen to your friend who died? Is the person from Australia?’ Mom asked

‘Actually the person is an American’ Hannah said

‘Hope it isn’t any of our friends’ Mom asked

‘You actually don’t really like the person’ Hannah replied

‘Just tell me who it is Hannah’ Mom said

‘It’s Darlene my best friend’ she said smiling deviously

‘But I’m Darlene’ Mom said a bit confused

‘Yes, you are Darlene but you actually don’t like yourself because the more I tried to tell you I was having an affair with your husband, the closer you drew me to him. I killed Donald in Australia. I told him I had a surprise in the balcony and when he got there all I had to do was to push him all the way down so I could come here and get married to Kelvin after ten years. I’m patient and wise but you; my friend, are the exact opposite. Back then in high school you were foolish but I thought you already became wise but now I see you are still as stupid as ever’ Hannah said with pride

‘This isn’t possible…Kelvin is this true?’She asked in pain

‘Well I tried to tell you that I married you out of infatuation from high school but you won’t listen.  The year I broke up with you in high school I was secretly dating Hannah; I tried to tell you instead you kept on begging me to come back into your life and telling your best friend Hannah to help you beg me when you already had a child for that bookworm. You are such a fool. And now your existence will be cut short today’ He said and gave the most devious grin I had ever seen.

Discover to Recover.

A MONTH LATER

‘I won’t close this case on this note…no…I’ll never…….you have to find out why she left me’ Dad screamed at one of the detectives

‘Sir, our report says she died of food poisoning.’ Detective Kyla said

‘Where was the last place she ate and what did she eat’ Detective Harold asked

‘She ate a candy bar at the mall’ Dad responded

‘It must have been poisoned from the mall’ Hannah said

‘Yes ma’am’ said Detective Kyla

‘We should be leaving now. But I’m really sorry for your loss Mr……’

‘Jones’ Dad said

‘Jones’ Said Detective Harold and they both left. When they were out of sight Hannah and Kelvin started laughing

‘I didn’t know you were such a good actor’ Hannah said and laughed

Two days later mom was buried and I became more withdrawn than I was after the accident. Hannah’s son Alex returned. He was so friendly but I never reciprocated the attitude so one day we fought

‘Why don’t you want to talk to me?’ He asked

‘I just don’t want to’ I replied

‘You’re not the only one who has lost a parent’ He said as he turned oh his heel and began hurrying the other way. He got to the living room and began hotfooting in the opposite direction to the kitchen but the sudden flurry of the movement caught Hannah’s eye

‘Any problem cupid’ she asked happily

‘Yes’ He said and frowned

‘Is it Andrew?’ she asked and he simply nodded

‘What in the world did you do to my son you motherless child?’ She screamed

Hannah and father had been dating for some time now and were planning on getting married in a few weeks time

‘Why do you call him father instead of dad’ Amber asked

‘I call him father because he is not worthy to be called a dad’ I answered

‘Hannah I did nothing to your spoilt little child’ I said with my 13years old confidence

‘You silly child, how dare you call me by name and insult my child. If it’s your head my Cupid wants any day, all he has to do is to request and I’ll get it done. Do you understand me?’ She said and slapped me

Just then father arrived from work.

‘Dad!’ Alex screamed and jumped into his hands

‘How are you my rookie?’ Father asked

On hearing him call Alex his rookie I got angry and I stomped up to my room and locked the door. I cried because it was the first time I experienced heartache. That night I made a resolution to find the answers I seek no matter how long it would take me

‘So Alex is your step brother?’ I asked

‘Yes he is’ Andrew answered

‘Then I guess we would both work towards finding answers’

‘You mean you’ll do this for me?’ Andrew asked

‘Yes, that’s why you’re my best friend’ I answered

‘Thanks Amber’ He said as he quickly cleaned the tears from his eyes as we both stood up and left the library laughing. On the way home we stopped at the mall while I went in search of something special for Andrew’s birthday.

‘So I guess you didn’t find the perfect thing for me’ Andrew said as I hopped into the car empty handed

‘Well….yes’ I said frowning a bit

‘So………..’ He said

‘What? You’ve never had anything to say but since you have; say it. It won’t hurt to at least talk’ I said teasing him

‘Doyouwannacomewithmeformybirthday?’ He asked

‘Whoa….rap king……I will. Why did you sound so nervous? This is your first time going out with a girl, right?’

‘Right’ He replied

‘OMG’ I exclaimed

‘Regina’

‘I’m so honoured to be your number one, my king’ I said in mock passion and we both laughed.

As he dropped me at Aunty Brenda’s house I went straight to my room and wrote a letter and kept it in a box that was for Andrew’s present and went to Trisha’s room.

‘I’m so happy Daniella has finally decided to change’ Trisha said happily

‘They are seriously planning to embarrass you at that party. So I want you to be very careful’ I said

‘Amber stop being a parent’ Trisha said

‘Okay fine’ I said

‘Dani is also inviting you to the party’ Trisha said

‘There’s no way I’m going to any of her parties’ I said.

Our days on earth add up to our years.

I went to my room to get a book when I saw a message, it was Andrew

Andrew: Thanks for deciding to come with me.

Amber: It’s nothing, isn’t that why we are friends?

Andrew: Yeah

Amber: Any regrets?

Andrew: Yep

Amber: What?

Andrew: I’ve never asked a girl out

Amber: Stop messing around….real regrets

Andrew: Okay… meeting Hannah

Amber: I’m listening

Andrew: I never got to tell mom how much I loved her.

Amber: Let’s not do this again

Andrew: Oh….okay. I miss you

Amber: Yeah, me too

Andrew: Is Trisha home?

Amber: Yeah, you still crushing on her?

Andrew: What?

Amber: I’ll tell her

Andrew: No, please don’t

Amber: Okay

Andrew: I don’t like her I’m just glad that she quickly snapped out of Daniella’s trap

Amber: Which trap? If I may ask

Andrew: She makes people feel like they can’t live without her

Amber: Hmmmmmnnnnnn…… nice analysis, but I’ve got some assignment to do

Andrew: Alright I guess we’ll chat later

Amber: Yeah, but before that I want to give you some things we mustn’t forget in future

Andrew: Go on I’m all ears

Amber: As best friends we

1. Never fight

2. Never keep secrets from each other

3. Always remember rule number 1 & 2

Andrew: Okay, that’s very easy

Amber: So now is assignment time

Andrew: Bye

Amber: Bye

Andrew: Alright bye

Amber: See ya

Andrew: Go and do your assignment girl

Amber: Alright big bro bye

I went to my bag brought out my notes did my assignment and studied like my life depended on it and I had a very logical reason behind it. Not to get a good grade like most people wished for but for a perfect reason in the future.

‘Beep’ it was my alarm clock. Its six thirty and its Andrew’s birthday, I quickly got up and took a shower.

‘Gosh, I feel so nervous’ I said trying to fix my hair.

‘Finally!’ I exclaimed

I fixed my hair into a crazy hair style and wore my favourite chocker and a white round neck top with flowery designs and blue jeans and my white airforce.

‘Hey girlfriend, you look super hot. Are you going on a date?’ Trisha asked stepping into my room

‘Nope today is Andrew’s birthday I just want everything to be perfect for him’ I said with a smile

‘Oh! And you guys aren’t dating?’ She asked

‘Nope’ I replied

I sat at the edge of my bed and looked at the box and kept it in my bag

‘Your ride is here’ Trisha said

‘Oh! Nice, bye Trisha. See you at school’

‘Bye Amber, have a good day

‘Alright girl’ I said and left

As I spotted Andrew’s car and walked towards it I saw him laughing and waving towards me. As I jumped into the car I said

‘Happy birthday Andrew I’m so happy for you’ as we both laughed

‘You look great’ He said and smiled

‘Thanks’ I said and smiled

‘So what did you decide on?’ He asked

‘Ummmm… well, here it goes’ I said smiling as I put my hand inside my bag and brought out a small black box with a white ribbon on it and it had a tag saying ‘ Happy birthday Captain’

‘This is beautiful Amber’ Andrew said

‘Open it’ I urged him

As he opened it a neatly folded paper fell into his hands and he looked at me and smiled and opened it and it goes thus:

I   believe everything happens for a reason. People change so you can learn how to let go. Things go wrong, so you appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies, so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself, and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together you know seeing your smile every morning brightens my day and I’m glad you let your smile change the world and you didn’t let the world change your smile…

Some people don’t hate you for what you have…

Sometimes they hate you because you can go through things, still hold your head high and come out like you never went through anything in your life. Even when things were wrong you didn’t give up on humanity you accepted me without once asking for my story {which I dearly appreciate}. You remained the brightest student in your class and you didn’t let your private life bother you.

Can you imagine a world without the colour green? If overnight the grass turned white, fields turned black, peas turned orange. That’s a bit like grief, overnight our world looks different. A core colour wiped out, and suddenly our landscape looks so different.

A core colour of your life had already been wiped out and everything looks different yet you are still standing. Isn’t that wonderful?

I’ve come to realise you are not just a mysterious hot guy, but you’re also my best friend and my elder brother that I trust in and I wish that as another year is added to you today you’ll be a better version of you. Just so you know health doesn’t come from medicine;

Most of the time it comes from peace of mind, peace in the heart, peace in the soul. But more importantly, it comes from laughter and love.

With love.

Amber.

‘I don’t know what to say Amber’ Andrew said and wiped a tear from his face as I chuckled

‘Let’s have fun, it’s not a time to cry’ I said

‘Alright I’ll keep these words close to my heart as long as I live’ He said and folded the paper

‘Awwwwwnnnnnn… I feel like crying’ I said smiling

‘Let’s get to school’ Andrew said

‘Okay’ I responded

After talking and talking we finally got to school

‘I’ll be going for my class’ I told Andrew

‘Alright bye’

‘Bye’

As I walked into the class I saw Dani and her group giggling in the class

‘Well, well, well. See who we’ve got here’ Said Dani as soon as she sighted me

‘Hi Dani’ I said

‘Enough with the façade. I heard that you and your boyfriend aren’t coming to my party’ she said frowning

‘Well that’s very correct and I don’t think I owe you any explanation’ I said no longer smiling

‘Oh! So the fact that you guys are dating is correct’ Dani said with a smile playing around her lips

‘No, he’s my best friend. Please excuse me’ I said as I walked out of the class and ran into a guy and his books dropped

‘Oh! I’m very sorry let me help you with that’ I said

‘Never mind, I’ll get them’ He said already picking the books that dropped

‘I’m sincerely sorry’ I said

‘It’s alright-’

‘Amber’ Said Andrew from behind me

‘Hi Andrew’ He said

‘Hey Josh, it’s been ages’ He said Andrew as the shook hands

‘Yeah, I’ve been kinda busy with the prom stuffs’ He said

‘Yeah, well done. I guess I’ll see you around’ Andrew said

‘Yeah, bye Andrew’ Josh said as he walked pass us

‘Who was that?’ I asked

‘That was Josh’ He said

‘How come I’ve never seen him?’ I asked surprised

‘He’s too occupied to think about girls’ He said

‘Whoa!’ I exclaimed

‘What?’ He asked

‘He’s the first guy that has never acknowledged my presence’

‘Well that’s how he is naturally’

‘So what are you doing out here?’ I asked

‘Well Father told the school management to allow me and my girl friend off school for today since its Friday’ He said looking irritated

‘So he has that much power’ I asked

‘Absolutely’

‘Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go’ I said pulling him by his hand through the empty hallway

‘You’re crazy’ He said laughing as we got into his car

‘So where are we going to?’ I asked

‘Anywhere you want’ He said

‘Let’s go to Boulders place then to the amusement park’ I suggested

‘Boulders place coming up’ He announced

As we got to Boulders place we got some snacks and it was time to pay

‘Let me pay’ I said

‘Nope, I’m paying’ Andrew said

‘Well too late I already paid’ I said giving my card to the waitress

‘Okay, but I’m paying for all expenses in the park’ Andrew said

‘Okay I said grinning.

Cold shoulder

‘OMG I’ve never had so much fun’ I said as Andrew and I walked to the car

‘Same here’ Andrew said

‘Can you believe this morning Dani asked me why we didn’t want to go to her party’

‘What did you tell her?’ Andrew asked

‘I told her it was true and I didn’t owe her any explanation but that was when I bumped into Josh’

‘Okay….. But why did you say Josh that way?’ He asked

‘What way?’ I asked

‘I don’t know if this is a dream or my best friend likes a boy’ He said in a sing-song manner

‘Stop it, I don’t like him it’s just that he’s different from other guys I’ve met’ I said

‘Alright I get it’ He said

‘So what’s the time’ I asked

‘Its 9:45pm are you expecting someone? Or is it Josh?’ He asked mocking me

‘Nope it’s time for me to give you your present’ I said

‘But you already gave me’ He said

‘Bring the box out’ I commanded

‘Yes ma’am’ He said laughing

As he handed the box to me I ceremoniously opened it and brought out a necklace and showed it to Andrew.

‘Happy birthday Andrew’ I said as I gave it to him

‘Thanks but there’s something written on it’

‘Yeah, Andrew and Amber, best friends for life’

‘Amber you didn’t need to do this!’ Andrew said sounding surprised

‘You deserve more than this Andrew’ I said and smiled

‘So ….’

‘Speak your mind’

‘Well since I have this necklace and it has Andrew and Amber inscribed on it you should have a duplicate that you should also wear’ He suggested

‘Good suggestion Andrew but you have a very smart best friend that is way smarter than you are’ I said fingering my own necklace

‘What a best friend I have! But since today I know how smart you are I will always respect you’ He said

‘Well today is over and you’re already 18’ I said

‘Well I guess I made my little 16 years old best friend happy’ He said mocking me

‘The fact that I’m 16 doesn’t make me little’ I said

‘Well one thing that I can’t deny is that you made my day’ He said and smiled at me

‘Awwwwwwwnnnnnnnn …. I’m glad to be the one that did that’ I said

As I got I got home Andrew hugged me and said

‘You’re the best friend I’ve ever had’

‘Thanks’ I said as I drew out of the hug

‘Goodnight’ He said

‘Goodnight, bye’ I said as he left

As soon as I got upstairs I showered and slept

It’s Saturday!

‘What’s the time?’ I thought picking my phone

One new message from Andrew

Andrew: - Meet me in the library by 10am

Amber: - Hey, I just woke up but I promise I’ll be there before 10:30am

I got up and took a shower and let my hair flow down as I wore all Nike, from head warmer to sweater to joggers to canvas and all red and black. As I walked out of the house and started walking to the library, I saw a face I could never forget walking towards me. It was Josh! His hair perfectly cut his chiselled jaw, his broad chest, his nice smile and his perfectly white teeth.

‘Hey Josh, good morning’

‘Hey um… I can’t really recall your name’ He said with a smile that makes him look like a young boy

I can’t believe a guy doesn’t remember my name’ I thought

‘It’s Amber’ I said a bit disappointed

‘Oh yeah Amber, Andrew’s best friend right?’ He asked

‘Yeah I’m just surprised. What are you doing here?’ I asked

‘Well I live there’ He said pointing to the house next to mine

‘You’re my neighbour?’ I asked

‘Is that where you live?’ He asked

He hasn’t even noticed that I live there

‘I guess I’ll see you around soon’ He said

‘Okay ’I said totally disappointed

‘My regards to Andrew’ He said

‘Yeah, okay’ I responded

‘Bye’ He mumbled

‘Bye’ I responded as he walked pass me

I picked my phone and texted Andrew to pick me. After a few minutes of standing Andrew came and picked me. As soon as I got in I told him about my conversation with Josh

‘He’s as subtle as a rock’ I lamented

‘Yeah, that was really straight forward’

‘I expected him to get sweet like other guys but he’s just so different. I actually think he’s the real mysterious guy in the school’ I said

‘Well, he’s actually the second mysterious guy in the school after me according to everyone’ He said with pride.

I see your true colour.

‘Forget about Josh, the more I think about the more worried I become’ I said

‘Alright’ I said

‘So why are we going to the library?’ I asked

‘After the accident and I became withdrawn, mom noticed and gave me this picture with names written behind it of her friends and said “Honey, one day you’ll have friends that will cherish and value you and have you as their number one priority” Andrew said and handed me a picture

‘You don’t mean it!’ I exclaimed

‘What?’ Andrew asked

‘I’ll tell you when we get to the library’ I said surprised

On getting to the library Andrew asked

‘Amber what’s the matter? And why won’t you let go of the picture?’ He asked somewhat scared

‘Behind the picture the names written were: - Melissa, Richard, Kelvin, Hannah, Darlene and Donald’ I said

‘Yes I know I can see it’ He said matter-of-factly

I opened my bag and brought out the same picture with the exact same things written in the same order but with a different handwriting.

‘I don’t get, how come we have the exact same picture with the exact same message?’ Andrew asked looking totally confused

‘I guess it’s time for me to tell you my story’ I said 

‘Okay’ Andrew said perplexed

‘It was during summer’ I began

“For the sake of our baby girl please” Melissa begged

‘I’m doing this for her sake Lissa’ Richard said

‘Richie please don’t do this to me I promise I’ll change’ Melissa said

‘I’ve been patient enough, I’ve seen you with 8, 9 guys…. You see I even lost count. Yet you come back with this speech of you’ll never do it again. Or you use Amber to cover up for your misconduct’ Richard said softly trying not to raise his voice

‘I know, it’s because you were always busy and never had time for me’

‘You are living a very comfortable life, I send 1000$ to you every two days without you doing anything, I even still pay for Amber’s school fees; not that it’s too much money for me but you make it very hard to do because instead of me thinking of how beautiful you are when women seduce me I think of another man pouncing on you, yet I don’t sleep around’ Richard said

‘Oh! You’re not talking? I cancel important meetings just because I want to come back home to see you but instead I meet another guy pouncing on my wife in my matrimonial home and on my matrimonial bed!’ Richard said pointedly

‘Richard, don’t say this in front of our daughter’ Melissa said pointing at me as I watched them argue

‘I think she’s the only part of my family that I can still control’ Richard said pointing at me

‘Some years ago you travelled and told me you had a year’s contract with an unknown business partner and you came back looking like you just birthed a child. For that whole year I took care of Amber and still handled my business and you never called to check on any of us instead you came back talking about how you lost a job you never had’ Richard said pointedly

‘I had a job!’ Melissa said defensively

‘Look me into the eye and tell me you had a job not a baby’ He said

No reply

‘I’m a reputable business man, I have ears from across the world and news always reaches me no matter where in the world I am. You birthed child with a man named Derrick. Yes or no?’ Richard asked

‘Yes I did’ Melissa replied

‘I thought so’ Richard said clearly stating disappointment. He walked to me and said

‘Cupcake, I’ll be back for you. If anything happens you know where to find me’ He said and I nodded and he was gone

Mom cried for a few hours and continued her routine of bringing different guys home. One day I gathered courage to ask her when next we will be seeing dad

‘Mom, when will we see dad again’ I asked innocently

‘You silly child. I always knew you were possessed. Never call me your mom you narrow-minded foolish girl. How dare you question me? She said getting angrier as she spat out each word

‘I’m sorry I just-’

‘Will you keep your stupid mouth shut, you disrespectful, proud and arrogant beast’ she screamed

‘I guess this useless attitude is what Richard taught you that whole year’ she said and hissed

A few weeks after a man came to our house

‘Hey little girl, I’m Derrick. Is your mom in?’ He asked

‘She’s in there waiting for you’ I said pointing towards the kitchen

‘Oh, okay thanks….’

‘Amber’ I said

‘Amber okay’ He said

Immediately Melissa saw him she stood up and jumped on him and hugged him which lasted for almost a minute. I had never seen her hug dad that way before.

‘I’ve missed you so much honey’ Melissa said

‘I’ve missed you more my melon’ He said

Melon??? I preferred when dad called her Lissa but Melon??? I felt really disgusted I could puke

‘You over there… come here’ she said referring to me

‘This is Derrick and he’s your new father’ she said smiling

‘Step father’ I corrected her

‘Don’t you dare talk when I’m talking you spoilt brat. When will you ever change? Riff-raff’ she said raising her voice

‘Calm down Melissa’ Said Derrick

‘She’s so rude and spoilt’ Said Melissa caressing Derrick

‘We have to talk’ Derrick said

‘Alright……hey you…….what’s that your gut-wrenching name? Umm ….Amber……get out of here’ she said as I calmly walked out of the house

‘Is this Richard’s child?’ Derrick asked as I crept into the garage to hear what they were saying

‘Yeah, I don’t know why he didn’t take her along’ Melissa said

‘She’s very smart’ Derrick said

‘Yeah, we have to look for a way to take her out forever so that my baby can come live with us’ Melissa said

‘So dad was correct, she did have a baby’ I though

‘You can allow her live with your sister Brenda’ Derrick suggested

‘There has to be a good reason’ Melissa said

‘I have that perfect reason’ Derrick said

‘And that is?’ Melissa asked

‘I’ll tell you later, let’s go to the world unknown’ He said as Melissa laughed and their voices faded

A FEW MONTHS LATER

‘Your mom is out right?’ Derrick asked

‘Yeah’ I said chatting with my best friend Vanessa

‘So…. Sometimes do you feel sad?’ Derrick asked

‘Yes I do and why is that your business?’ I asked

‘Well I know a way I can make you happy’ He said as he tried to rip my clothes off

‘Are you crazy’ I said struggling to free myself from his grip. But instead his grip grew stronger

‘Somebody help me, save me from this monster’ I screamed, shouted, cried and ran but no one came to my aid

‘I prefer being sad for the rest of my life than allowing you touching me’ I said as I grabbed a kitchen knife and stabbed him by the side of his stomach. On realising what I had done I dropped the knife which was now dripping with blood and hid in the garage

‘It’s my crazy step-daughter, she’s stabbed me… yes….an ambulance…. My wife’ He said

Less than ten minutes after the call I walked out of my father’s house with handcuffs on both  hands and my step-father groaning in pain as he was taken to the hospital. Melissa made sure I couldn’t contact my dad until after the court hearing where I was sentenced to one year in juvi and one year in rehab. My in mates believed I was too innocent to do such, my cousin; Trisha visited me every day with letters from my dad apologising and telling me how much he loved me. In less than two weeks I became popular as I wrote letters for people. My in mates begged Trisha to create an instagram page for me @the poet_1 which Trisha did and at the end of each letter people wrote

Follow the person that advices me and shows me the world I have ahead @the poet_1. And in two weeks I had fifty five thousand followers; in juvi.

Trisha told me Derrick and Melissa travelled to Bangladesh and left me to stay with Aunty Brenda.

Party after Party.

As we left the library Andrew asked me

‘So that means we know almost everyone in the picture?’

‘Derrick and Melissa had a child which is my step sister, Kelvin and Hannah had Alex, Darlene and Kelvin…. No child, Donald and Hannah….. No child and Melissa and Richard had me but it clearly states that Darlene had you but not with Kelvin and we do not have a name here’ I said looking at Andrew

‘Well we have to find answers very soon……’ Andrew said and trailed off

‘What’s the problem’ I asked Andrew looking a bit concerned

‘If Kelvin and Hannah had Alex and Kelvin and Darlene had no child then who is my father?’ Andrew asked

‘We’ll go see my dad for those answers’ I said with confidence  

‘You actually know where he is?’Andrew asked

‘Sure, I’ve never visited him because I had a lot of questions to ask after I left juvi and I didn’t want to be a pain in another person’s life again’ I replied

‘Hey Ab’ I turned back and saw Aunt Brenda in the porch. I knew nobody dared call me Ab except Aunt Brenda

‘Hi Aunt Brenda, this is Andrew Jones’ I said walking towards the porch with Andrew by my side

‘Hey Andrew thanks for seeing Amber home’ Aunt Brenda said

‘It’s my pleasure ma’am’ He responded respectfully

‘Aren’t you guys going for the party Trisha went for?’ She asked

‘OMG! Andrew we totally forgot’ I said panicking

‘We can still make it in time’ Andrew said

‘Bye Aunt Brenda’ Andrew and I said at the same time

Aunt Brenda turned back and said

Damn the truth is coming nearer. I’ve got to speak to Richard’ Brenda said

As Andrew and I hurried to the luxurious part of town we easily spotted the venue of the party. As Andrew parked we both jumped out of the car and walked side by side into the venue. Young teenagers drinking, dancing and making out. Filled the whole poorly lit room in Dani’s parent’s house

‘Trisha!’ I called out instead I got some cold stares

‘Where the hell is she?’ Andrew asked Alex

‘I don’t know, all I know is that something terrible is about to happen so I don’t think either of you should be here’ Alex said gesturing to Andrew and I

‘What do you-?’

‘Attention students of Tall Wood Senior High. I am Daniella as you all know me and I’m here to show you all a special video’

‘Evans…’ She said as everyone looked up to watch

The video was of Andrew crying in the cemetery then a picture of Trisha visiting me in juvi and some videos of me stabbing my step father and finally a video of someone viewing my instagram page online.

Finally Dani stepped up and wanted to say something but Ashley collected the microphone and said ‘Everyone knows that Andrew’s mom is dead, is it now a crime to go for her remembrance?’ Ash asked

‘NO………..’ The students answered

‘Your most loved cousin is in juvi, is it a crime to visit?’ Ash asked

‘NO…………….’ The students responded

‘Your step father tried to assault you and your self defence becomes attempted murder, is there a problem with that?’ Ash asked

‘Not at all’ a guy responded

‘The step father deserves to be in prison’ A girl commented

‘You have over a million followers on instagram, what do you tell your haters?’ She said turning to Dani

‘Go to hell’ Said Dani as the crowd laughed at her and applauded Ashley as she handed the microphone over to Evans

‘According to my research, as long as I don’t bear Daniella Morris I’ll get to college and I won’t be bossing people around’ Evans said as the crowd roared with laughter

‘Watch this video and have a good laugh’ Evans said directing the crowd

‘Mom I’ve never felt this way in my entire life’ Dani said in tears

‘This new girl is prettier than me and she has a lovely shape, she’s very diplomatic and smart…… she’s like my goddess. I’m not talking about Tom Cruise or Justin Bieber, it’s a girl! I’m not talking to her because she has over a million followers and I have just seven thousand……. Really………I’ve got the most useless boyfriend in the world………um…..okay,…….bye mom I really love you and don’t forget to help me buy more followers’ Said Dani

‘Fake followers, secret fan and the most useless boyfriend’ Evans said as he invited Trisha and said

‘Cheers to my best friend’ He said as Trisha stared in between confusion and joy

‘She’s also my best friend’ Ash said happily

‘Trisha! Trisha! Trisha!’ The crowd screamed as Dani left in shame

‘I never felt so embarrassed in my life’ Alex said turning to us

‘You know-’ I said but was cut short by Ashley

‘Hey! I’m Ashley Spark’ she said stretching her hand for a shake

‘Hi, I’m Amber Crosby and I just want to say thanks for what you did up there’

‘Don’t speak of it. I’m just glad I finally did that’ Ash said happily

‘But I thought y’all were friends’ I said

‘Yeah, for a short period until she started treating people like garbage’

‘Oh! So you noticed?’ I asked

‘Sure, but when she told me she wanted to do this to you guys I quickly changed the video’ She said

‘Yeah I just want to say thank you Ashley’ Andrew said

‘Oh… yeah it’s nothing….. I mean you’re welcome…. Um yeah I should get going’ she said blushing

‘Bye Ash and thanks again’ I said

‘Yeah bye Amber, we should talk sometime’ she said

‘Yeah, bye’

‘Did I say anything wrong?’ Andrew asked

‘No, I guess she just likes you and didn’t think you’d ever talk to her, so she was just baffled and unprepared to talk to you’ I said innocently

‘That’s impossible! We went to the same middle school’ Andrew said

‘But you never spoke to her’ Alex said

‘Alex, I know we haven’t really talked and you don’t really like me but I have to ask; are you okay?’ I asked as I stared into Alex’s cold face

‘I know that look, this is the same look Alex had when I told him that it was Hannah that killed his dad and told the detectives that a thief broke into their house and while Donald was struggling he fell off the balcony and died’ Andrew thought as he watched colour and life drain from his face

‘Yes I’m okay Amber, thank you’ He said expressionlessly and turned to Andrew

‘I feel like I’ve been used and I’m sincerely sorry for the other day’ He said

‘It’s no problem bro’ Andrew said

Andrew just referred to Alex as his brother

‘It’s just that every time something goes wrong you seem so calm….. And …..when we were young I felt that you had all the strings of your life together and when you told me Hannah killed Dad I was scared but y….you were still brave after she killed your mom and married your dad I just wanted someone who could love and cherish me but unfortunately I picked that god forsaken bitch….. She doesn’t even know me-’ Alex said with emotions

‘There’s no need for all this Alex and in no time we’ll find all the answers’ Andrew said and winked at me

‘Let’s go’ I said.

It will always prevail - The Truth.

‘Aunt Brenda! I’m going out with Andrew don’t expect me back soon’ I said

‘Be safe!’ She said

‘Alright I will’ I replied

‘Hey’ Andrew said as I entered his car

‘Hi, how’s Alex?’ I asked

‘He broke up with Dani’ He said

‘That must be heart breaking for him’

‘Yeah, and I talked to Amber’ He said excitedly

‘So………’

‘You expect me to ask her-’

‘Nope no no no. It’s just that……. Don’t you see the way Josh looks at her sometimes’

‘That’s why he’s Josh Spark’ He said matter-of-factly

‘OMG! Why didn’t you tell me?’ I asked

‘Everyone knows they’re siblings’

‘Except me!’ I yelled

‘Well now you know stop yelling and show me the directions’ He said

‘Alright, we’re almost there’

Screech

The car sounded as we parked in the parking lot of my dad’s mansion. Immediately I looked up and saw my dad at his office window and waved

‘Andrew! That’s my dad’ I said still waving

‘I don’t thinks he likes me’

‘Why would you say such, you’ve not even gotten to meet him’ I said looking at Andrew

‘Well with the looks he’s giving me I have every right to think that’ I said

‘Alright. Just be cool’ I said reassuringly

‘Okay, okay alright’ I said hesitating

As we walked into my dad’s house Andrew looked around in amusement as I said hi to all the house keepers

‘Hey Billy, where’s dad?’ I asked Billy; my dad’s special assistant

‘He’s waiting for you in his second office’ Billy said

‘Okay, thanks’ I said

‘Wait Ava… you look gorgeous I must say. We all have missed you so much’

‘Thanks Billy I should see daddy now’

‘Okay I’ll talk to you later’

As Andrew and I walked up the stairs Andrew said

‘Why did Billy call you Ava?’

‘Dad got my name changed so that mo won’t be able to contact me’

‘Why didn’t you introduce me to Billy?’

‘He already knows you’

‘How?’

‘Every information comes to him first before it goes to the world’ I said

‘Well I guess it’s time for you to see my daddy’ I said knocking at my dad’s office door

‘The door is open’ said a bass voice from the office

As we walked in I saw daddy on his office chair with a huge picture frame that says:

‘The answers are always there, all you have to do is to look deeper’

Then if you have a good eye you see my dad’s picture in that same picture frame

‘Classic daddy’ I thought

‘Daddy!’ I said as I hugged daddy

‘Ava, my cupcake. How are you doing?’ He asked

‘I’m good dad, this is my friend-’

‘Andrew Josh’ Dad and I said at the same time

‘Dad I thought I said you should stop watching every movement I make’ I moaned

‘Baby, I’ll never forgive myself if anything happens to you. So I have to have a close watch’ He said

‘Well Andrew wants to find out something’ I said

‘His father’ Dad said a bit worried

‘Yeah, do you know anything about him?’ I asked

‘Come on, have a seat’ He beaconed us

‘Ava hope you told Andrew where I work’

‘He is the Director General of the Military Intelligence. So this means he wants you to truthfully answer all the questions he is going to ask you’ I said to Andrew

‘Okay, I will’

‘Ava, don’t be mad at me but I want you to go downstairs and tell Billy to tell you the truth while I talk to Andrew’ Daddy said

‘Okay daddy’ I said a bit confused as I left the office

‘Andrew have you ever seen me?’ He asked

‘I think so but it’s very faint in my memory’ I said

‘Okay, so I saw your research about your father’

‘Okay’

‘And I know who your father is and I want you to carefully listen to all that I have to say. Okay?’

‘Okay’

‘So I know that you have a picture like this’ He said as he dropped the picture my mom gave to me on the table

‘It’s been a long time since me and my best friends took this picture. From the right we have Melissa; my divorced wife and Ava’s mother and sorry I didn’t introduce myself, I’m Richard Crosby. And next to me in this picture we have Kelvin you supposed to be father and your mothers husband and Hannah; Alex’ mother, Darlene; Kelvin’s wife and Hannah’s best friend and finally Donald of blessed memory; Hannah’s husband. Now Ava must have told you about Melissa and Derrick’

I nodded

‘Kelvin was your mother’s boyfriend in high school, the year he left her she came to me; I was the student of the year every year and the school nerd. Kelvin was the jock of the school and the best looking guy in school; every girl wanted to date him including my crush Darlene. She changed her looks and dressing because of Kelvin and after a while he noticed her and they started dating. I was hurt and broken but Kelvin liked me because I helped him with his homework after a while he broke up with Darlene, which left her heartbroken. Then she came running to me and we dated for almost a year, during that year I still helped Kelvin do his homework and he kept telling me about this his new secret girlfriend but then I asked him why his relationship was secret

‘Why is she your secret girl?’ I asked

‘Darlene never told me she had a best friend that was hot’

‘So its Darlene’s best friend; Hannah’ I said

‘Yeah but she said she wanted it to be a secret relationship so that Darlene wouldn’t think she had eyes for me all the while we were dating’ He replied

‘Okay’

‘But it’s a secret, no one must know.’ He said

‘Yeah I get’ I said as I continued writing his homework

A few weeks later I got some information from my informants that Darlene told Hannah to beg Kelvin so they could get back together and by that time we were still dating. So Kelvin invited me, Melissa {the ho of the school}, Hannah, Darlene and Donald to a party in his dad’s pub. We were all drunk and partying then….’ He said and went silent

‘Mr Crosby is everything okay?’ I asked

‘Yeah, thanks Captain’

‘Captain?’

‘Oh I’m very sorry about that’ He said apologetically

‘No problem sir, please continue’ I said

‘I had sex with your mom so that she could stay with me and not go back to Kelvin’ He said in a rush

Damn!’ I exclaimed

‘But it seemed like no matter what I did she was so determined to go back to him. Some weeks after the party the plea bargain had already been accepted and I was left heartbroken. But after a few months Darlene was pregnant but she begged Kelvin and he still accepted her. I became sober for a few months but after a while she gave birth to you’.

All is well that ends well.

‘ME?’

‘Andrew… baby are you awake?’

‘Mom?’

‘Baby I’m here for you now, no one is ever going to hurt you….. Okay’

‘Mommy…. Let me say it this once before you go’

‘Shhhh…. Darling don’t say anything’

‘I love you’

‘Love you too Captain’

‘Captain?’ I said as the light faded

‘He’s opening his eyes’ Amber {Ava, if you like}

‘Where am I’ I asked

‘You’re in your room dummy’ Ava said smiling with tears in her eyes

‘This is not my room’ I said sitting up

‘Hello baby’ someone said from the door

‘Ava! What’s going on? That’s my mom’ I said almost in tears

‘Yeah, I’m your mommy and I’m not leaving you again’ She said walking towards me

‘You have to explain this to me, I can feel her hands, and she’s real’ I said in surprise

‘Well I’m your father’ Said Richard walking into the room

‘Ava…. Amber…. Whatever. Did you know about this before?’

‘Nope but now I know that my best friend is my brother’ Ava said

‘How come mom’s not dead?’ I asked

‘After you told me Hannah was poisoning my food I took a drug that makes my immune system strong as prescribed by Doctor Philip; Richard’s elder brother who knew what was about to happen. His prescription was an overdose so I could pass out while they thought I was dead. Detective Kyla and Detective Hansen were special detectives sent by Richard who had contacted the best four doctors from all over the world. The poison was removed from my system and I survived and watched you grow into a big boy from afar. Detective Kyla made sure the coffin was not opened so she sealed the coffin with gum. And I got married to the one who actually watched out for me and loves me; Richard’ She said

‘Daddy, you didn’t invite me to your wedding’ my younger sister; Ava moaned

‘I got to know about the plan from Philip so I organised a lot, I almost lost her but fortunately I didn’t. Since Melissa didn’t want to change I divorced her and married Darlene the day you went to juvi, that’s why I didn’t know. I was occupied with the wedding but when I got to know I made sure you were properly fed and-’

‘Why didn’t you just tell them to release me?’ I asked

‘That would be biased, but just know that during that period I was devoted to you and I will forever be’ He said

‘So you’re saying that Ava Amber Crosby and Andrew Jones are related’ I said

‘Nope, you guys are step siblings’

‘Dad what about my step sister? The one mum gave birth to for Derrick’ I asked

‘Oh! That’s bad news’ Dad said

‘Is she dead?’ Ava asked

‘Nope, you might not like her’

‘I’m anxious, tell me daddy’

‘Her name is Daniella and she attends your school. Melissa dumped her here and travelled to Africa’ Dad said

‘Dani is my step sister! Wait till Trisha hears this’ Ava said happily

‘Wait a minute. If Ava is my sister and Dani is her step sister then Dani is also my step sister’ Andrew said

‘I guess so’ Darlene said

‘Andrew is my brother and Alex is his step brother so that automatically makes Alex my step brother too’ Ava said happily

‘I want you both to sign these documents as I legally claim both of you. From now I will be responsible for my irresponsible act in high school, but I don’t regret it’ Dad said and laughed as he gave us some documents to sign

‘Well Dani and Alex are downstairs so let’s do what we have to do’ Mommy said

‘I love you mommy and daddy’ Ava said hugging Darlene and Richard

‘We love you too Cupcake’ Darlene said

‘I love you all’ I said as I hugged them

‘We love you Captain’ Richard

As we got downstairs and explained to Alex and Dani, they both signed the endless agreement of becoming a big family. We had a reunion party and Alex and Danielle were trying to settle their differences.