The New Girl | Teen Ink

The New Girl

By Bajabassist BRONZE, No, Kentucky
Bajabassist BRONZE, No, Kentucky
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Music is my true love. Why? Because it's the only thing in my life that hasn't broken my heart, and never will." ~Julia Pierce

Hope you guys enjoyed the introduction! I know that my writing still needs a lot of work, and I will revise it as I go. Leave a comment and tell me what you thought :D

Ellie got out of her car, a shimmering charcoal grey corvette(courtesy of her parents) and took in the parking lot. Cars were everywhere; the school had a much bigger population than the one back home. She pulled herself out of the slight daze and and grabbed her backpack off of the floor of the driver’s seat, flung the strap over her right shoulder, and closed the door.

“Coming?” she asked her sister, Bailey. She was the opposite of Ellie, as she was blonde and had long hair, with a clear complexion and pale skin. Ellie had medium length dark brown hair, which was almost always tucked beneath a beanie, rosy cheeks and a dusting of freckles across her nose. The only thing that was similar between them was their eyes; both a shimmering sapphire blue.

“Yeah. Just nervous,” Bailey said, getting out of the car and retrieving her backpack and Clarinet case out of the back seat.

“You’ll be fine. Shoot me a text if you need something, alright?” Ellie said, giving a reassuring look to her sister, who had anxiety written all over her face. Noticing this, Ellie went around the front of the car and hugged her.

"Thanks, El. Love you,” Bailey gave a slight smile.

“Love you too, sis. Now come on, or we’ll be late,” Ellie said, taking note of the time. The pair went into Hawthorne High, earning several odd looks as they made their way to the Band hallway. Probably because they were new, and they looked rather different than the other students. Ellie sported black jeans, a blue pair of vans and a white Asking Alexandria tank top, all topped off with a gray beanie. Bailey wore simple black jeans, Old Skool Vans, a blue kentucky basketball tee and a black lace choker.  

Ellie stopped before entering the band room. “You ready?" she asked with a half smile.

“I guess. Just rip the band aid off fast, right?” Bailey deadpanned.

“That’s the spirit. Want me to go in first?"

“Please,” her sister responded. Ellie nodded and opened the door, stepping and looking around the room. It had a high ceiling, and had white walls with red and blue soundproof patches on all of its sides. Bailey went into the clarinet section and Ellie made her way back to the percussion section, which seemed to be empty. She set her sky blue vans backpack on the ground and went up to the third marching snare whose, unlike the others, stick bag was empty. Just then, a voice spoke up behind her, "You're Ellie, right? Our new snare?" Ellie turned around to see a girl with light brown curly hair standing there.

"Yeah," she smiled, a dimple forming on each cheek. "That's me."

"I'm Jess. Center snare and section leader," the girl said, her jade green eyes glistening with pride.

"Nice to meet you, Jess," Ellie said, a faint southern accent hinting in her voice.

"And you as well. The rest of the line is outside by the dumpsters. We should go meet them!" the brown haired girl stated. Ellie nodded and followed Jess out the double doors, and into the warmth of the fresh air. The rest of drumline, who was talking previous to the girls' arrival, went silent at the sight of them.

"Guys, meet our new recruit, Ellie," Jess said proudly, clapping a hand on the back of the girl's shoulder. She stifled a laugh as the whole section talked over each other.

"Ellie, this is Lacey, the other snare," Jess informed her. Ellie greeted her happily. The girl was tall and thin, with muscular arms and tan skin. Her raven hair blew gently in the wind, and her amber brown eyes moved slowly across Ellie's face, as if analyzing every facial feature by the inch.

"These two are Julia and Austin, our two tenors," Jess continued. "And the four bass drums over here, Adrian, Willow, Dustin and Sadie," she finished. Ellie swept her eyes over the crowd. They stopped on Julia  first, who, much like her, had small gauges in her ears. The girl’s eyes were light brown, like the color of spruce wood, and her hair was dyed black with sky blue highlights here and there. Julia's look was pulled together with a silver nose ring. Ellie's gaze shifted to Austin, who looked like your standard California boy; blond hair and deep blue eyes, a shade very similar to hers. Then there was Adrian, who had black hair and was heavy set, but he had a great smile. To the left of him, was Willow, whose fiery red hair made her green eyes stand out against her pale skin. Next up was Dustin, who had kind brown eyes and a full head of hair. He kind of reminded Ellie of her uncle, who had an afro for over twenty years. And finally, was Sadie, who shyly smiled at her, face going slightly red. "Aww she's so adorable!" Ellie thought, fighting to keep her smile from getting bigger. There was something about shy people she had always admired, likely because they seemed so innocent and kind.

"I like your shirt," Adrian said, his hazel eyes moving from Ellie's shirt to her face.

"Thank you," she said simply. "I like yours as well. I've always been a fan of Sum 41."

"Really?" the Junior checked in disbelief. Ellie gave him a slight nod and opened her mouth to speak, but Jess interrupted by clapping her hands together.

"We can talk later. Let's get in there before Smith gets after us for being late again, yeah?" she asked rhetorically, turning and walking back into the band room. Ellie followed them in and went to her backpack to grab her practice sticks. On her way to her drum, she threw a glance over at her sister, who was who was making small talk with a blonde headed freshman. Bailey caught on, and mouthed a “help me” over the guys shoulder. Ellie gave a wink and a single nod of her head, as if to say, “Be nice. If he’s a jerk I’ll kick his ass.”

The room was filled with chatter and different instruments practicing their parts for the show, before a whistle could be heard.

"Yo!" Mrs. Smith said loudly, waving an arm in the air. The volume decreased quickly and she began to speak.

"Happy Monday, guys. We'll be staying in today, but before we get to what we're doing, we have two new faces in the room. Please welcome Bailey and Ellie, who are joining us all the way from Kentucky. Give a wave, guys!"

Bailey gave a half hearted wave and a small smile from the sea of chairs in the center in the room. Ellie's reaction was different; she smiled widely and waved a hand in the air. All of the horn players turned and looked back at her. A slight moment of anxiety washed over her, as she hated being the center of attention, but she pushed it quickly to the back of her mind.

"Okay, take out the Ultimate Warm Up, please," Mrs. Smith instructed, eyes down on her stand as she rifled through papers, trying to find the right copy.

"You know how to play it?" Jess asked from Ellie's left.

"Yeah. Most of it, at least," Ellie told her honestly. She had practiced  it so much that her calluses ruptured and bled when she played at home.

"Okay. Let me know if you have any questions," Jess told her. Just as Ellie lifted her gaze, Smith was counting off, tapping the tempo through her hands. Dut, dut, dut dut dut dut! Ellie thought. She started marking time and put her sticks up to her drum on count seven, and came in right in with the other snares.

That's all for now :D Update when I can.

"Hey," Ellie said as she caught up to Bailey in the hall after Band.

"Hi," Bailey seethed, her face twisted into a scowl.

"You okay?" Ellie questioned, raising an eyebrow at her sister's unusual tone.

"Yeah. A guy in my section was being a total jerk."

"What did he say?"

"He practically called me a hillbilly when he heard my accent. So sorry I don't speak like you, perfect California boy," Bailey scoffed. “Asshole.”

"Ignore him. What does he play?" Ellie rolled her eyes.

"Trumpet.”

“Figures,” Ellie rolled her eyes. She hated stereotyping, but this time it seemed appropriate.

"Yeah. How's your section?"

"They seem alright. I'm a bit skeptical of Jess, though."

"Jess?" the blonde asked, glancing at her sister.

"Center snare and Section leader," Ellie clarified.

"Ah. Why do you say that?"

"I don't know. I just get bad vibes, you know?"

"Makes sense. Oh, this is my stop," Bailey said, taking note of the room number.

"See ya," the older girl said, realizing that she was now up in the 200 hall, where her English III class was. She walked down the long hallway until she reached room 224; Jacks' class. As she padded through the doorway, she took note of how the lights were off, and the various strands of white icicle christmas lights were hung around the room. In both back corners of the room, there was a lamp that broke off into 3 different colored lights; Red, green and yellow. I like this room, Ellie thought as she took a seat in the back row near the lamp. She put an earbud in and took out a folder, notebook and her dark gray chromebook, setting them on the desk. It was then she noticed that someone was coming up to her. She looked up to see a petite woman with shoulder length blonde hair and green eyes that sparkled with excitement.

"Hi! You must be Ellie," the woman said, grinning from ear to ear.

"Yes, ma'am," Ellie smiled, voice low and even. She never tried to sound charismatic, but her voice betrayed her.

"Pleasure to meet you," she said, standing up and extending a hand. Mrs. Jacks' grin widened as she shook Ellie's extended palm. "Well aren't you sweet,” she said just as the bell rang overhead. Mrs. Jacks went to the front of the room and spoke.

“Good morning, second hour! We just finished our last unit, so today we’ll be starting a new one! We’ll be reading Of Mice & Men for the next few weeks,” she announced. As Mrs. Jacks spoke, Ellie couldn’t help but take notice of the incredible amount of definition in the woman’s arms, which were crossed across her chest. She must be some sort of athlete, Ellie thought. Jacks handed out the books then assigned the first chapter and vocab words as homework. With that, Jacks let the class read, which most people opted not to do. Instead they all chattered loudly, and one particularly annoying group was having a water bottle flipping contest. Ellie just shook her head. She put her earbuds back in and began to read the opening words of Of Mice and Men as Julia Pierce sang Drawing A Blank to her.

The rest of the class flew by, and soon it was to go to Algebra, much to Ellie’s distaste. As soon as the bell rang, she set off at a brisk walk, wanting to get to class early. As she entered the room, she recognized a familiar face. It was Julia, one of the tenor players from band. She casually looked up, and her green eyes flashed with recognition. She smiled at Ellie, patting the desk next to the one she was sitting in.

“Hey, new girl,” Julia smiled as Ellie flopped down in her seat.

“Hey. It’s Julia, right?” she double checked.

“Yeah. Say, what state did you say you were from again. Sorry,” Julia chuckled. “My memory ain’t what it used to be.”

“Kentucky.”

“Oh that’s right! What’s it like?”

“It’s really nice! The people are great, it’s beautiful, and the food is amazing!” Ellie told Julia, who laughed and replied with, “The food’s all that matters!”

Just then, the second bell rang and the teacher walked into the room, swinging his hands and clapping them together.

“Hey!” He started. “Take out your notebooks. We didn’t have homework last night, so we’re going to jump right into notes,” the teacher said. Mr. Henderson was his name. He was tan and brown haired, and looked like he could be a basketball coach. The man was wearing a lanyard dangling out of the pocked of the khaki cargo shorts he wore, and an official Hawthorne High Nike polo shirt. Ellie snapped out of her trance and got her notebook out and flipping it to an empty page near the front. She scribbled down what was written on the Smartboard, and listened intently as Henderson spoke. About fifteen slides later, the notes finally ended and Ellie shook out her right hand, which was starting to cramp from writing so much. On the very last slide, was the homework assignment. Ellie’s heart dropped in her chest as she read what was written.

Pg. 553-555, #s 1-3, 9-12, 18-25, 22-29

Great, she thought. This teacher is going to murder me via homework. It was then that Mr. Henderson walked over and spoke, snapping Ellie out of her thoughts.

“Hey, Goldmann,” He said. Yep. Definitely a coach.

“Can you get your chromebook out, please? You’ll need the info to sign into your online textbook,” he instructed before Ellie could answer. Henderson spoke to her as she retrieved her chromebook. “Ever thought about Cross Country or Track?”

“Track, maybe. I’m no distance runner,” she told him truthfully. Henderson found this funny.

“I’ll make you a distance runner,” the man laughed with a slight smirk.

“Did you do track at your old school?”

“I tried it back in eighth grade,” Ellie smiled, thinking back to how awful(yet somehow enjoyable) it was. “Our coach was the librarian. The whole team got shin splints halfway through the season because of her.”

“Really? I’m surprised they’d even allow that,” Henderson said just as Ellie had pulled up the site. He gave her instructions on how to get in and all that. She thanked him and went back to doing her homework.

In the last five minutes of class, Julia spoke. “By the way, drumline’s having a party next weekend. You should come!” she said excitedly, handing Ellie a red piece of paper. Scribbled on it, were the words:

October 14th. 24 Alviston Lane. Come as you are!

“I’ll be there,” Ellie grinned.

“Sweet! Last year’s party was awesome! We just watched movies and ate candy all night.

“Sounds amazing. I can’t wait!”

“It was… Oh, yeah! Hold on,” Julia paused, pulling her phone out of her pocket and unlocking it.

“What’s your number? Jess wanted me to get it for the drumline group chat. Do you have Groupme?”

“Yeah, I’ve got it,” Ellie said casually. She gave Julia her number, and in exchange got hers.

The rest of school was pretty boring to Ellie, as she didn’t really talk much to the other people. She could be talkative when she wanted to, but she was also a very quiet soul.

Ellie sat in the car, the windows rolled down and Asking Alexandria drifting from the speakers.

“Come on, Bailey. Where are you?” she muttered under her breath. She was just about to pick her phone up and call when Bailey just walked out of the school. Ellie raised her eyebrows in surprise when she saw that she was flanked by two girls, one blonde and the other brunette. As the trio got closer, the blonde’s eyes widened as her eyes landed on the corvette. “Oh my god… That’s your sister’s car?!” she exclaimed, jaw slack. Ellie stifled a laugh, which only resorted in a faint snort.

“Hey, El,” Bailey said as she reached the car. “This is Grace and Talia.

“Hello. How are you guys?” Ellie said politely, smiling at them.

“We’re good. That car is so cool!” the one named Grace gawked. She acted like Ellie was some sort of celebrity. The other girl didn’t say anything, but just smiled.

“Thank you! Come on, sis. We need to go help Mom and Dad unpack,” she smiled, and flicked her head slightly, motioning for Bailey to get in the car.     

“Alright. Bye guys!” Bailey waved.

“Bye!” Grace and Talia said at the same time, walking away and whispering amongst themselves. Bailey put her things in the back seat and climbed into the front.

“They seem nice,” Ellie observed. “And you were worried you wouldn’t make any friends.”
“Please, I’m pretty sure the only reason they wanted to be my friend is because you have a cool car,” Bailey scoffed. “I’m not sure about Grace, honestly. I kinda get bad vibes from her.”

“Yeah? I would steer clear, then. You can still be nice and talk to her, but you don’t have to be close. What about Talia?” Ellie asked, shifting the Corvette into reverse and slowly backing out of her parking space.

“She seems alright. She’s really quiet and nice to be around.”

“That’s good then,” Ellie said, shifting into drive and pulling out into the packed parking lot. The two exchanged the tales of their day and the people they met as they rode down the sloping streets.

“You got invited to a party on your first day?” Bailey gawked as Ellie pulled the car into the driveway of their two story home.

“It’s not a big deal,” she reasoned, shifting the gear to Park. “It’s just a drumline party. Two people can’t be there, so there’s only going to be seven of us.”

“Oh. When is it?”

“Saturday night. I guess it’s supposed to be a halloween party,” Ellie told her, though it was more of question than a statement.

“Ah. Alright, let’s go unpack,” Bailey said, getting out of the car and grabbing her backpack.

“And do homework!” Ellie added, getting out of the car just as her sister was halfway up the driveway.

“Don’t remind me!” Bailey called back, punching the code into the keypad. Ellie laughed, rolling her eyes and walking up the driveway.