Trapped and Stranded | Teen Ink

Trapped and Stranded

this is the only chapter

I found myself lying on a sand floor confused on what just had happened. My entire body felt sore as I struggled to get up. As I got up on my feet, I had just realized that I was stuck on an island. All I remembered was a heavy thunderstorm and large waves crashing onto our ship. I quickly removed my soaked clothes and washed the sand off of my body. I roamed around the beach screaming to see if any of my crew mates were around, but I found nobody. I started to panic as every step I took around the beach. Suddenly, I felt hopeless, very hopeless. I began to question my decisions on becoming a pirate and going on this journey. I should have just stayed home, finished school, marry a nice girl, and be a merchant like everybody else. But instead, I had the wonderful idea of living the life of a scummy damn pirate. And so at that moment, I felt as though karma and I had just met. Since I was the only person on the island, I knew I had to get things done quickly if I wanted to survive. The dark green jungle stared at me as if it were instilling fear into me to not venture inside. The jungle was only around fifty meters away but a feeling in my guy told me to not ever go near it. Fortunately, I learned how to start a fire with the fire plow method thanks to my father. As I gather materials, the sun seemed to go down faster and faster. I set the bark down and grabbed the hard wood. I rubbed the wood against the bark back and forth until I saw smoke. Eventually the ember came out. My eyes lit up and so I surrounded the ember with my hands and continually kept blowing on it. “YES YES YES!” I screamed as I ran around the fire with my arms raised high. I danced around and sang a victory chant to myself. However, in the middle of all my fun, bushes started to rustle. My survival instincts had kicked in. I ran back to the shore and hid behind a large rock. My heartbeat began to race as I took a peek of the jungle. The rustlings sounds grew louder. Then these four dark figures came out of the bushes holding to what seemed like long bows and spears. I made no movements at all. Even my eyes refused to blink as I stared at the four dark figures examining the fire. Luckily for me, the wreckage of the ship wasn’t visible to them since it was on the other side of the island Finally, they ran back towards the jungle. From that moment, I realized I wasn’t alone on the island. I woke up next morning and remembered the dark figures from last night. I slowly started to rise while inspecting the island. None of the natives were around which I took advantage of. I knew I needed to start making some weapons. I rushed through the beach and finally saw the sight of the wreckage. Once I got there, I gathered pieces of wood, metal, cloths, rope, and glass. I spent the entire day crafting a long spear and a shield. I went out to go hunt for some food and luckily I was able to catch a crab. I hated crabs but it was the only living creature around so I had to do what I had to do. After all that crab, I was still hungry. I knew the natives had to have much better food than crab but trying to make contact with them is basically committing suicide. Hours passed by as if they were days and still none of the natives showed up yet. I walked around the island and no fresh water was in sight. But the only way to fill my thirst was to go through the jungle and possibly die. I didn’t like the thought of dying on this damn island so parts of me said yes and no. I was somewhat surprised on how the natives still haven’t noticed the wreckage. Maybe they were far deeper in the middle of the jungle. I finally decided that I was going to go venture into what might possibly be the death of me. The thick bushes made it impossible for me to go through the jungle without a machete. Vines and leaves blinded my vision as I walked further and further. As I got closer, I heard chanting and what seemed like singing. I hesitated into taking another step. My heart stopped beating for a moment.