Horror Story#1: HoneyBrook Asylum | Teen Ink

Horror Story#1: HoneyBrook Asylum

By Ibenez@BooksGuy13, Oquwaka, Illinois
Ibenez@BooksGuy13, Oquwaka, Illinois

Author's note:

The book Dexter is delicous inspired my writing style

Horror Story #1: HoneyBrook Asylum
HoneyBrook Asylum and Prison was built in 1976 by Dennis Rader under the alias Dan Koch After he escaped custody in 1975. HoneyBrook is the Nightmare of every criminal, the bane of every murderer because once you enter, YOU NEVER LEAVE. Only 1 person left HoneyBrook in a mentally stable state and that Chuck.H.Krown because he escaped capture by guards and left the asylum. After this any inmate near the doors were shocked and taken to the Verlies Der Seelen or dungeon of souls and tortured for 2 days. After the 2 days were up, they would perform lobotomies for no real reason. Also they had racist and misogynistic views treating asians, african americans and women with such prejudice that it spawned the 1978 HoneyBrook Riots or Rebel Nights in some states. On July 7 1978 376 minorities and women took up arms against the asylum staff killing 67 staff and the assistant warden John Paul Knowles. But on July 9 1978 police swarmed in and arrested the 29 people that were still alive that took part in the riots. But after the police found evidence of  abuse and racism Dennis Rader was arrested on August 7 1978. After 1 year under government control Carl Panzram bought the asylum on August 9 1979 for $500,000 after the purchase the racism and misogyny was brought to an end. But this did little to help the conditions at HoneyBrook. After this reports of torture and rape were rampant. A reporter named Jeremy Lupkow went to investigate these happenings but disappeared shortly after his arrival.
The station was calm no one was walking around but the janitor cleaning up a beer bottle from the party last night. But the conference room that was a different story, Barry our boss was yelling at us for one story that was under par because Gary wrote it when he was stoned at his house.
“WHAT IS THIS CRAP! I can barely understand this its like it was written by a toddler when that toddler was drunk.”
I saw Clyde walking towards the room looking like he was gonna get slapped which he probably was.
“Uh sir.”
“What Clyde.”
“Detective Hill is on the line.”
“I'll get it later.”
“But it's urgent.”
“Fine.”
Barry left the room. after he did, everybody started talking to one another. I just sat and played some Clash of Clans on my phone. My friend Oliver jumped into the chair next to me.
“Playing some Clash of Clans.”
“Yea.”
“What level is your town hall.”
“5 it would be higher but it takes forever to upgrade.”
“Yea the only reason its like that is because Supercell is like hey it really should take a couple hours but your building crew is probably getting wasted so let's just add a day or two on that.”
“Get back to your seat before Barry rips you a new one.”
A couple of seconds later Barry returned
“Ok Hill has asked me to send a reporter to help him investigate disappearances in the HoneyBrook Asylum area in Springfield, Any volunteers.”
“I’ll go.” I said confidently.
“Thank you, you leave monday so get packing tomorrow.”
When I get home I always hope My brother Ryan would be there, Waiting for me to come home. But Ryan died when I was 15. We were waiting outside a 7/11 waiting for our dad Xavier to buy some Vodka and some bourbon for a party he had later. This was during the 90’s drug war. A gunshot rang out and my brother was hit in his chest blood pouring out of him he said this to me.
“Remember I will always be right beside you,Brother.”
Ryan now laid dead on the sidewalk I broke down into tears. Dad ran out and asked me what was wrong then he noticed Ryan.
“Oh son im sorry.”
“Why did he have to die.” I said tearfully.
“ I don’t know son I don’t know.”
The real reason I wanted to go to HoneyBrook Is because my brother’s killer resides there. Darren Downs a local hitman turned kingpin was a hitman for hire Ryan had a hit on him for vandalising and stealing diamonds from A local mobster named Clark Hows.
“Honey you want some snacks.”
“Claura can’t you see i'm monologuing.”
“Sorry.”
Clark ordered Darren to murder him in front of his family so he could watch them suffer. I swore that I would find who did this and I have. I took some sleeping pills and fell into a deep slumber.
I walked into the station everything seemed normal but something didn't feel right. It was really quiet no one was there even though it was 9:00 AM. I heard a light thud on the door to the newsroom. As I walked up to the door I heard light voices though the walls.
I opened the door a tad to look inside I saw nothing but a cloud of darkness. As I opened the door I was faced with my brother lying on the ground he was bleeding blood was pouring out splashing on the tile floor. He started talking but the first words he said were incoherent then it became more coherent.
“Why didn't  you help me.”
“I couldn't do anything.” I said my voice cracking
“YES you could you could of helped me.”
“I couldn’t he-.”
“Yes you could I am dead because of you.”
“What do you mean.”
“You ordered that man to kill me.”
“NO that's not true.”
“Yes it is face the truth, Brother.”
Ryan faded away, disappeared into the darkness of the night.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 
“RYAN! (Heavy Breathing).”
“Ryan? Who’s Ryan.” My wife asked.
“I don't want to talk about it.” I said in a somber tone.
“Tell me please.”
“Ryan was my brother.”
“You never told me you had a brother.” She said sounding concerned.
“Like I said I don’t like talking about it.”
“Tell me what happened to him.”
“He died, When I was 15, He was shot dead.”
“I'm sorry.” she said in a comforting voice.
I drifted back to sleep soon After
The mourning was nice no clouds sunshine raining though the window. I got dressed in the usual a nice pair of Cebrey jeans and a nice button up. Got some english muffin action for breakfast and took a nice pork sammy for lunch. I got my suitcase and my notebook kissed the wife goodbye got into my 1978 Thunderbird and left to the airport.
The airport was packed people squeezing through crowds to get to flights. I saw my gate I ran as fast as I could as to not be late. I gave the ticket taker my ticket and entered the fight excited to meet my brother’s killer and get vengeance once and for all.
The airport when I arrived was barren no person in sight except the security guards doing their rounds. I quickly got to the motor pool and got a car.
The road to HoneyBrook was unsettling it has a spine tingling look, Something was not right. The road was rough full of potholes and the place gave me the chills.
I finally reached HoneyBrook the parking lot was a blank space nothing was there except an ambulance waiting idle a few seconds later 2 men wheeled somebody to the ambulance.
HoneyBrook was a scary looking place Barbed wire fences line the giant facility. Dead trees everywhere.
I entered the building I was faced with a horrific scene. 2 inmates were being beat down with clubs by the guards another tried to stop them but to no avail. After that I was met with a short blond lady.
“Are you the reporter.” she said in a cheery tone.
“Yes I am.”
“Follow me sir.”
She took me through narrow corridor that reminded me of a narrow hallway when I was in middle school. I kept following her until we reached a door that said Warden Carl Panzram.
“(Knock Knock) Sir the reporter is here.”
“Send him in.”
She opened the door and I stepped inside.
“Well Hello there, Take a seat.”
I took a seat in the only seat other than his an old red office chair.
“So first things first I am Carl Panzram Warden of this institution.”
“I am Jeremy Lupkow.”
“So why are you here the detective never told me.”
“I am helping him with an investigation.”
“Really interesting.”
“Well I need a tour of this institution to start my investigation.”
“Sure I will give you a tour go meet detective Hill he’s in the lobby, Let me get some paperwork done then I will meet you guys.”
“Yea ok.”
I left the office feeling like something was off. I walked into the lobby I saw Hill sitting on a bench.
“Hey Jeremy how’s it going.” he said enthusiastically.
“It going alright Todd. Doesn't this place give you the creeps like something doesn’t feel right.”
“Yea I have a feeling something is going to go wrong.”
Carl emerged from the corridor with a big smirk on his face.
“Well then should we get under way.” he said
“Yes sir.”
He took us into what looked like a common room it was a tall room there was a lot of people just wandering around but I noticed something odd. There was a lone record player in the corner.
“This is the common room where our inmates spend most of their time.”
“What's with the record player.”
“I found it in storage when I bought the place instead of letting it sit there I started using it.”
After that he took us to a door that had a name plate bolted on. The plate said Dr.Yuri Ka He knocked on the door a few times the door slid open and an asian man stepped out.
“This is Dr.Yuri he is a doctor that specializes in therapeutic treatment.”
“Hello.” Yuri said in a quiet voice.
“May we come in to see your equipment.”
“Yea sure.” He said in the same quiet tone.
The room was sterile there was no grime or dirty equipment, The room was spotless. But I noticed a door that was not clean it had blood all over the door.
“What’s that door lead to.”
“Don’t worry about it.”
I walked closer to the door before I could open the door I felt a sharp pain in my side it was a taser.
“What are you doing!.”
“Good night (Click).” Carl said in a somber tone.
I felt the electricity coursing through my body I was out on the floor helpless trying to stay conscious but to no avail.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few hours later I woke up in a dark cell the cell had padded walls I noticed something under the single bed’s sheet. I took of the sheet it was hill he was laying there lifeless I don’t know how he died but I hope I can avenge him by escaping this horrid place. A guard came by and opened my cell door.
“Come on it’s breakfast time up and atom.” The guard said in a harsh tone.
I walked out of my cell the hallway was narrow very little space for me to get through. The cafeteria was big a man sat in front of both doors everybody was sitting down eating and socializing. A guy walked up to me he had a beard, small build and a mohawk.
“What you in for.” the guy said sounding like the joker from Dark Knight Rises.
“Assault and battery almost killed a man in Rockford.”
“I was put in here for homicide, Triple homicide. I killed a family in Bloomington. The house door was unlocked I went in and stole some things then I set the house on fire, After the cops came I almost killed one of them.”
I went and got my food then left as to not cause any trouble. I went to the yard it was an empty area nothing really out there just a basketball hoop and a single weight on a bench.
The only remarkable thing in the yard was a single oak tree. A bunch of inmates were standing under it socializing and playing games. I noticed that Darren my brothers killer was sitting on a bench. Upon seeing him my pent up anger was released I walked towards him. I pushed him down and noticed that he had a pocket knife. Right before I was gonna hit him again he stabbed me with full force knocking me down in the process. Then he whispered something into my ear.
“If your gonna fight me at least know who it is your fighting.”
He then kicked me one last time and walked off then I fell out of consciousness.
2 hours later I found myself in an ambulance with guards watching me I was strapped to my gurney so I couldn't move. I again fell unconscious.
1 hour later I awoke in a clean room on a hospital bed. Doctors all around the room talking with one another.
As I was laying there helpless memories came raining down flowing back into my mind. I remember when my brother told my parents I was smoking pot with Bradley. I was enraged so mad I was blind to the consequences that would happen if I seeked revenge. I paid Darren to kill him. Ryan was right, I did kill my brother.
“Were losing him, I need help now!”
“Chest compressions, Do them now.”
“BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.”
“Keep administering CPR.”
“It's no hope he’s gone.”
“Notify the wife.”
Protagonist and other character info
Jeremy Lupkow
Age 38
Occupation News Reporter
Cause of Death unknown
Spouse Claura Lupkow
DoB May 5 1977
DoD August 23 2015
Todd Hill
Age 45
Occupation Police Detective
Spouse N/A
DoB January 1 1970
DoD N/A
Claura Lupkow
Age 32
Occupation Sous Chef
Spouse Jeremy Lupkow
DoB March 8 1983
DoD N/A
Carl Panzram
Age 57
Occupation Warden of HoneyBrook asylum
Spouse N/A
DoB July 7 1958
DoD N/A