Living on the edge of fear-short story | Teen Ink

Living on the edge of fear-short story

By NewCaptainofSquad9, Henderson, North Carolina
NewCaptainofSquad9, Henderson, North Carolina

"We'll either find a way, or make one." Hannibal Barca

Joanna helped her mother put the bags in the SUV.

“Thanks for helping me with my luggage dear.” Janet, Joanna’s mother told her daughter. Joanna’s mother was heading off on a business trip for her job. Joanna’s father honked the horn.

“Come on Janet! Your flight to Paris leaves in thirty minutes!”

“Alright Frank!”
Joanna shut the trunk top and got into the car along with her mother.

“Okay dad, let’s go.”
Frank nodded and pulled the car out of the drive way and drove it down the road.

“So, mom how long do you have to stay in Paris?” Joanna asks.

“About three weeks honey. France is opening a new history museum. Other historian’s and I are gathering information about it.”
Frank turned the wheel of the car, and turned onto the airport street. He parked the car in the parking lot next to the building. Janet opened the car door, and got out of the vehicle. Frank helped his wife with her bags. Joanna stepped out of the car and helped too.

“Thank you my lovelies’. “ Janet mused.
Frank hugged her tightly.

“Go catch your plane, hon. Love you.” He gave her a peck on the lips.
Joanna hugged her mother.

“Buy mom. Have a safe trip.”
Janet patted her daughter’s hair.

“I will Joanna. Now, I have to go.”
Joanna waved goodbye as her mother made her way into the airport. Her mother waved back before disappearing into the crowd of busy people.

“Come on Jo! Time to go!” Frank called.

“Yeah right.” Joanna whispered before heading to the car.

“Hey, Joanna? Honey we’re back home.” Frank says nudging his daughter. Joanna’s eyes fluttered open.

“Huh? Oh, I must have fallen asleep.” Frank smirked.

“It’s fine dear. Go on in the house, I’ll get us a bite to eat.”
Joanna rubbed her eyes and nodded.

“You aren’t cooking anything?”
Frank shook his head.

“I can’t prepare dinner like your mother. I’ll be back soon.”
He pulled the SUV out of the driveway and was hidden as it went down the road. Joanna made her way up the steps of her house. She took out her keys to unlock the door. She went in and closed the door behind her. The phone rang when she walked passed it. Joanna picked it up and answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey Joanna.” The voice greeted.
Joanna smiled to herself.

“Hi Kyle.”
Kyle and Joanna have been dating since middle school.

“How’s it going? Did you drop your mom off at the airport?” Kyle asks.

“Yeah, Kyle I miss her already.” Joanna tells him, before sitting on the couch.

“Don’t worry Joanna. I’m sure she’ll be back before you know it.”
Joanna turned on the T.V. The channel was on CNN. A news reporter was talking live in Hong Kong.

“There’s been recent illness going around here in Hong Kong.” The reporter says. Joanna turned the volume up a little bit.

“You still there Joanna?” Kyle asks

“Yeah. Hey turn to CNN real quick. There’s something about this sickness in Asia. Check it out.”

“I just did. Man, about a hundred people are sick from this illness.”
The reporter had a face mask on to cover his mouth.

“Many citizens in Hong Kong have been affected by an unknown pathogen, damaging the central nervous system. We will have more on this when data has been collected by local scientists’.” The reporter informed before his segment was over.
Joanna was quiet after that, until she heard Kyle’s voice.

“Joanna, what do you think it means?”

“I don’t know Ky.”
Joanna heard the door open.

“Gotta go Kyle. See you at school tomorrow?”

“Yeah bye.”

“Bye.” Joanna hung up the phone. Her father walked into the living room with bags.

“Take out dad?” Frank shrugged.

“I just went out to get something. I promise that I’ll at least try to cook something tomorrow.”
Joanna gave her father a look of disbelief.

“You should dad. Mom always cooks the meals around here.”
Frank sighed.

“I know hon. your mother does a lot for us. I should act like a more helpful husband.”
Joanna hugged her father.

“I know you’ll try dad. Now let’s eat.” Joanna suggested taking one of the bags from her father.

“Who was that on the phone?” Frank asks.
Joanna puts her hands behind her back and glanced elsewhere.

“Kyle.”
Frank’s face got serious.

“That boy didn’t break up with you. Did he?” He asked cracking open a coke.

“No dad! Our relationship is fine!” Joanna yells.
Frank laughs out loud.

“Yeah, that’s all good. Does he know I’m an EX marine?” He asks

“Yep. He’s aware of that dad.”

Joanna laced on her boots and threw her bag over her shoulder. She stared at herself into the mirror before heading downstairs. Joanna found her dad in his robe down stairs. He was holding a mug of coffee.

“Morning dear.”
Joanna smiled.

“Morning dad. Uhh.”
Frank palmed his face.

“Damn, I forgot I need take you to school. Let me get my keys and pants.”
He walked to his room. Joanna sat at the table and waited. She checked her phone for the time. 7:48 am.

“Looks like I’m going to be late.”
Her father came back with his blue jeans on a buttoned up shirt.

“Okay Joanna let’s roll.” Frank says walking out of the house, Joanna behind him.

Once down the road, Frank tuned the radio on.

“Let’s see what’s on the radio.” He turned the tuner until the radio came on. The radio stopped on one of those stations where they’d play songs from the 80s’ and 90s’

“This was the song back in the day.” Frank would say.
Joanna rolled her eyes, and stared out the window. After the song was over, the speaker of the station came on. He talked about the illness going around in Asia. Joanna sat up.

“Turn it up!”
Frank turned the volume up.

“It seems that the pathogen going around in south East Asia has killed a couple hundred people over night. Many areas’ in Asia are quarantined until a cure has been found. But, in the mean time here are some slow jams!”
Frank muted the radio.

“Wow, a hundred dead over night.” He pulled into the Vineville high school parking lot, and turned the engine off.

“Okay, dear. Sorry, I made you late. Your mother usually gets me up in the morning.”
Joanna stepped out of the car.

“It’s fine dad. Just make sure and get me by four.”
Frank nodded.

“Have a great day at school honey.”
Joanna waved before her father’s BMW was out of sight. She entered the school building on the east side. Joanna tired to open the class room door, but it was locked.

“Ugh, I’m officially late. She locks the door when class starts.” Joanna says under her breath. She had to knock on the door. Joanna peeks through the door to see Kyle. He opened the door for her. Joanna stepped into the classroom.

“Ah, miss York. Glad you could join us.” Joanna stared at Ms. Jackman, her teacher.

“Glad I did Ms. Jackman. I was eh, I overslept this morning.”
Ms. Jackman’s lips were pulled in a fitted straight line. Joanna could tell that her teacher didn’t buy that excuse.

“Since this is your first day being tardy, I’ll give you a warning. Next time it’s detention.” Ms. Jackman cautioned.
Joanna nodded.

“Yes ma’am.” Joanna took her seat next to Ashley, her best friend. Ashley’s about sixteen, same age as Joanna. Being friends since middle school, they always seem to have the same classes. Once Ms. Jackman had her back turned, Ashley poked Joanna with the end of her pencil.
“So what was the real reason you were late?” Ashley asks with a grin.
Joanna smiled back.

“My dad, he kind of forgot to take me to school.”
Ashley shook her red hair. It wasn’t naturally red of course. When Ashley’s parents divorced she decided to dye it. Whenever Joanna asked about it Ashley would tell her it eased the pain

“Isn’t your mom the one who takes you?”

“Yeah, but my mom’s in Paris for the opening of this history museum. My dad was the one who over slept.”

“Ms. York, would you like to enlighten the class on you and Ms. Cooper’s conversation?” Ms. Jackman asked interrupting the girls’ discussion.
Ashley whispered to Joanna

“I got this.” She cleared her throat.

“Yes, Ms. Jackman. Joanna and I were discussing the latest illness going around in south East Asia.”
Ashley announced to the class. She was good at getting herself out of any jam with a teacher. Joanna’s eyes met with Kyle’s. The bell rang and first period was over.

“We’ll pick this up tomorrow class.” Ms. Jackman told the class.
Joanna slipped out of the classroom with her book bag slung her shoulder. Ashley and Kyle behind her. They’d have time to talk in study hall, which was their next period.

“Did you hear what happened recently Joanna?” Kyle asked taking a seat at the brown square table. Joanna sat beside him.

“Those people died just overnight.”
Ashley sat across from them both.

“Yeah, it’s a scary thought.”
Ashley pulled out her cell phone.

“You sure you should be having your cell phone out Ashley? Mr. Pine took it away from you last week.” Joanna says, warning her friend.
Ashley sucked her teeth.

“Oh, Please. During study hall all he does is go down to the teachers’ lounge and try desperately to flirt with the female teachers. I don’t think the guy has chance if we’d set him up on one of those dating websites.” Ashley said with a smirk.
Kyle and Joanna snickered at the thought.

“I know. I don’t think that guy’s been on a date in years.”
Ashley turned to see Tyler. Tyler is the co-captain of the football team, and Ashley’s ex boyfriend.

“In speaking of desperate guys.” Ashley turning back to her phone.
Tyler took the empty seat beside Ashley.

“What’s that suppose to mean Ash?”

“You know what I mean! I’m the only girl you’re been able to date since freshman year! I always she you trying to flirt with those freshies!”
Tyler raised an eyebrow.

“Why do you care? You were the one who broke up with me before the winter dance!”
Kyle and Joanna glanced at each other, both trying not to laugh at their friends’ drama filled episode.

“I only broke up with you, because I was the only one showing affection!” Ashley yelled.

“I showed plenty affection!” Tyler yelled back.
Joanna was having enough of this argument and slammed both of her hands on the table getting Tyler, and Ashley’s attention.

“Hey, I’ve had enough of the problems with former relationships network! By the end of the week you two will be making out in the biology lab.”

“We are not!” Ashley and Tyler said in unison.
They soon went back to their argument. Kyle patted Joanna’s hand.

“Pay them no mind. We’ll never end up like them.”

“I hope not.”
Kyle took out his phone, and started flipping through it. He gasped at something.

“What is it Kyle?” Joanna asked.
Kyle turned his phone to so Joanna could see it. Kyle had up the CNN webpage. It was an article on the illness spreading quickly throughout Asia.

“Oh, God 90 percent of Asia’s population has been infected by the disease.”
Kyle went down on the article.

“Doctors have no idea where the illness stared, but scientists’ are already investigating what actually caused it.” Kyle read on.

“Not knowing what the cause of this disease is, they have already given it a name, Ugovia.”

“What does this mean Kyle? Will they be able to find a cure?”

“Don’t know. As long as they find out what causes it everything will be fine.”
Joanna and Kyle noticed that Tyler and Ashley’s competitive argument had died down. They both glanced up, and saw Ashley and Tyler shoving their tongues down each other’s throats. Joanna leaned over and whispered in Kyle’s ear.

“I called it. But, it was a little earlier than I predicted.”

“I know. You could set a wager on when they might break up, and get back together.”
Mr. Pine walked in and caught Tyler and Ashley in a heated make out session.

“Enough of the PDA you two! Tyler, find another seat sir!” Mr. Pine told him.
Tyler got up and grabbed his books. He winked at Ashley before walking away from the table. Ashley motioned her fingers like a phone, and mouthed the words:

Call me.
She turned back to Joanna and Kyle, who were both staring at her.

“What?” She asks

“So, when are you guys gonna make out in the biology lab?” Joanna asked wriggling her eyebrows.

“Shut up!”
Joanna grinned at her friend’s blushing face.

The dismissal bell broke Joanna from her daydream. Mrs. Winston closed the math book.

“Okay, class. Have a good afternoon.”
Joanna made her way out of the classroom. Kyle met up with her outside of the classroom.

“So, how was math class?”

“It was stupid. We did some kind of crap with triangles. I don’t get it at all.”
Kyle put an arm around her shoulder.

“Don’t worry, we can both study together. If you want.”

“I’d like that.”
Joanna smiled up at him. Kyle leaned down and pecked her lips. They reached the double doors and walked out of the school building. It was raining heavily. Joanna looked at her phone to check the time, 3:55 pm.

“Your dad picking you up?” Kyle asks.

“I better call him. He might have forgotten about it by now.”
Joanna dialed the number and pressed the phone to her ear. The phone rang three times before her father answered it.

“Hello?”

“Hey dad, it’s time for you to come and get me.”
Her father yawned loudly.

“Okay sweetie. Let me just get up.”
Joanna glanced at Kyle.

“No, dad. Just stay in bed. I’ll have Kyle give me a ride.”

“I’ll come and get you honey.”

“Dad, its fine just get your rest.”
Frank sighed.

“Fine, but that Kyle better not try anything funny with ya!” He yelled.
Kyle was able to hear him.

“I won’t Mr. York.” Kyle said leaning his head down towards the phone.

“Alright, get home safe honey.”

“I will dad, bye.”

Joanna got into the car with Kyle. Kyle started his 2013 Toyota, and began backing out of the school’s parking lot. He glanced over at Joanna, and touched her hand.

“You seem tense.” Joanna’s dark brown eyes met his blue ones.

“You should pay attention to the road.”
Kyle smirked and put his other hand back on the wheel.

“I know what I’m doing. You’re one to talk Ms. I haven’t taken drivers ED.”
Joanna scowled at him.

“Quiet.”
Kyle turned onto the interstate.

“Why are you taking the long way?”

“I’m making the ride long so we can talk.”
Joanna turned to look out of the window.

“What would you like to talk about Kyle?”

“Joanna, be honest with me. Are you afraid?”
Joanna snorted.

“Afraid? Why would I be afraid?”
Kyle’s eyes were glued to the road.

“Don’t lie Joanna. I know you’re afraid.”

“How would you possibly assume that?”
Kyle shrugged.

“The way you’re acting. I know you, Jo and you’re acting strange. You’re worried about that Ugovia outbreak am I right?”
Joanna sighed.

“Heh, I didn’t know I was that readable. Kyle you’re right.”
Kyle pressed on.

“Tell me what’s upsetting you about it?”

“I don’t know Kyle! I just think that the Ugovia outbreak is a much bigger problem than it appears!”
Kyle clenched his jaw and parked his car near Joanna’s ditch of her yard. He turned the car off and turned to face Joanna. Kyle was turned so that his light brown hair shined in the setting sun.

“Joanna, its okay to be scared. But, it’s also important not to get so stressed over it.”

“What makes you think I’m stressed?” Joanna asks, a bit of sass in her voice.

“I know you Joanna. We’ve been dating since the eighth grade. It’s my job to figure out these types of things.”
Joanna turned away and reached for the door. With a swift of the hand Kyle locked the door.

“Kyle.” Joanna warned.

“I just want to have a simple talk with you.”
Kyle put his hand on Joanna’s. Joanna could feel her heart skip a beat. Only Kyle had that kind of effect on her.

“Kyle, I. My father seems a little lost without my mother being at home, I worry about him. I think he’s suffering from memory loss from the war.”
Kyle nodded as he continued to listen.

“I didn’t want to worry you Kyle. I believe that this Ugovia outbreak is more than just a disease.”
Kyle squeezed Joanna’s hand. He glanced into her eyes.

“Kyle.” She whispered.
Kyle leaned over, and kissed her. Joanna felt his warm lips on hers. She kissed back. Kyle pulled away and smiled.

“Don’t worry about it Joanna. Just trust me, everything will be okay.”
Joanna nodded. Kyle kissed her again. Joanna was the one to pull back this time.

“Kyle, let’s not turn this into a make out sesh. My dad’s inside. I’ll call you tonight.”
Kyle nodded.

“Sounds good.”
Joanna unlocked the door and got out of the car. She waved at Kyle before he drove out of her driveway. Joanna walked up the steps and turned the key opening the door.

“Dad, I’m home.”
Frank, her father was sitting on the couch watching television.

“Dad. Is everything alright?” Joanna asks.
She sat down next to her father.

“Joanna, did Kyle bring you here?”

“Yeah, so what you been up to?”
Frank pointed at the television.

“The basketball game. Lakers are up by seven.”
Joanna nodded looking at the T.V. One of the players took a half court shot before the buzzer rang. He missed hopelessly and trotted to the locker room. Frank groaned in frustration.

“Come on man. You can do better than that.”
Joanna smirked.

“Calm down dad. At least they’re up by seven.”

“Yeah guess you’re right.”
Joanna hopped up and headed up to her room. She got to her room and shut the door behind her. The minute Joanna sat on the bed she got a call.

“Hello?” She answered.

“Hey girl! It’s Ashley!” Ashley squealed.

“Hey, what’s going on Ashley?”

“Tyler and I are officially back together!”
Joanna rolled her eyes.

“I totally called it.”
Ashley scoffed.

“Whatever, so did your father pick you up?”

“Nah, I got a ride from Kyle.”
Ashley made a wooing sound.

“Anything exciting go on between you two?” She whispered.

Joanna giggled.

“No. I told you before Ashley, Kyle and I don’t have daily make out sessions like you and Tyler.”

“You need too. I think you should. You guys have been going out since the eighth grade. I think it’s time for you two to take it to the next level.” Ashley suggested.
Joanna shook her head.

“Come on Ash, you know Kyle and I need to get closer.”

“You two are already close enough-“Ashley stopped at midsentence.

“Ash. Ashley what is it?”
Ashley didn’t respond for a moment.

“Ashley, are you still there?!” Joanna asks, worry in the tone of her voice.

“I’ll call you back Joanna. Check the news.”
With that Ashley hung up. Joanna took her cell phone that was pressed against her ear and put it to the side. Joanna pondered for a bit.

“What did Ashley mean?”
The door busting open broke Joanna from her thoughts. Her father walked in.

“Dad?”
Frank didn’t say a word as he sat on the bed next to Joanna. His face was stark white. He grabbed the remote from Joanna’s dresser and turned on the television.

“Dad, you’re scaring the hell out of me! What’s wrong?!” Joanna asks her voice slightly rising.
Frank didn’t say anything he turned the channel to CNN. There was a breaking news alert, the reporter was in a helicopter.

“I am above Marseille France where many have discovered half of the population to be deceased. A source has been confirmed that the Ugovia outbreak has spread to European regions as well.”
The reporter puts a hand up to his ear piece.

“The president of the United States is issuing a public service announcement about the matter as we speak.”
The television cut to the president. He was about to address the American people about the issue, but Joanna tuned him out. She was taken aback by what she’d just heard. Most of the population of France has been affected by this disease. Joanna flipped the possible scenarios in her head. One, her mother could be alive, but very ill from this contagious disease. Two, her mother could be protected by the CIA. Or, the third one her mother could be dead, which scares Joanna the most. Her father touched her hand.

“Joanna, there’s some left over take out in the kitchen. If you get hungry eat it.” He says standing up.

“Dad, what are you doing?” She asks mumbling every word.

“I’m heading out.”
Joanna stood up as well.

“What?! Did you just see what they just said on the news?! The entire European region has been affected!” Joanna yells.
Frank grabbed his daughter’s shoulder.

“I know. I just need to head for awhile.”

“I’m coming with you.” Joanna says grabbing her jacket.

“No.” Her father says in a firm voice.
He walked over and kissed her on the forehead.

“Stay here. I’ll be back soon.”
Frank sighed and walked out of the room shutting the door. Joanna stood there motionless until hearing the front door shut. She fell backward onto her bed. The cell phone on the side of her bed vibrated. Joanna pressed the talk button and put the phone up to her ear.

“Hello Joanna. I’m back.” Ashley answered.
Joanna swallowed the lump in her throat.

“Ashley.” She couldn’t think of anything to say.

“You alright? I’m on my way there now.”

“On your way? Ashley, shouldn’t you be at home?! Ms. Jackman might give us a pop quiz tomorrow. You should be studying.”

“Studying? Joanna you know I don’t study. My mom and her boyfriend went all crazy, saying that this outbreak is a test of God. So, I told them straight up that they were full of crap and left with Tyler.”

“What?! You just can’t do that Ashley!!” Joanna yelled.

“Too, late now. Tyler and I are on the way.”

“Kyle might call you!” Tyler yelled from the background.
Joanna heard a beep from the cell phone, someone else had called.

“I’ve got another call. That might be Kyle.”

“Well talk to him. Nothing brings two people closer more than the pre apocalypse.” Ashley says.

“Shut up Ashley!” Joanna spat before hanging up the phone.
She dialed the number that just called her a moment ago.

“Joanna hello?” The person on the other line asks.
It was Kyle on the other line.

“Yeah it’s me Kyle, where are you?”

“Oh, thank God you’re safe. Listen, it’ll be fine. We don’t exactly know what happened to your mother.”

“Kyle, I understand. Where are you?!” Joanna asks again her voice more solid.

“I’m on my way to your house.”

“Has everyone gone mad?! Why aren’t you guys at home?!”

Kyle sighed.

“That’s the thing Joanna. Everyone has gone mad. People around Vineville have gone ballistic. I went to the gas station and there were people robbing the stores. Normal people Joanna! Moms and dads stealing from the grocery store!” Kyle says in disbelief.

“Slow down Kyle. Ashley and Tyler are heading here too.”

“That’s good. We should get out of here; find somewhere to go but here.”
Joanna heard a loud knock on the door.

“That must be Ashley and Tyler. Kyle when are you getting here?”

“Ah, in about ten minutes. See you in a little bit.”
Kyle hung up. Joanna threw the cell phone on the bed and headed to the door. Once she reached the door she opened it. Ashley stood there with Tyler behind her. Ashley glumped Joanna in a tight hug.

“You okay Joanna. Your friend Ashley is here now.”
Joanna hugged her back.

“Thanks. I need you right now. You too Tyler.”
Tyler smirked.

“Joanna, did Kyle call you?” Tyler asks.
Joanna nodded.

“Yeah, he did. He’s supposed to be here in a few.”

“Good to know.” Ashley says.
The sound of car tires screeching in the driveway filled Joanna’s ears.

“That’s him now. The tires of his Toyota always screech like that.”
Joanna walks out of the house to greet her boyfriend. The Toyota’s lights shut off and Kyle gets out of the car. He runs up and hugs her.

“I’m fine Kyle.” Joanna tells him.

“Yeah, I know. I just wanted to make sure.”
Tyler and Ashley come outside too.

“Ash, Ty. We’re leaving.” Kyle says.
He grabs Joanna’s hand leading her to the car.
Tyler gives him a sharp nod

“Good as long as we get out of this crazy ass town.” Ashley says getting in Tyler’s car.
Joanna rode shotgun in Kyle’s car. Kyle zipped out of the driveway, Tyler’s Mustang behind them.

“Kyle, my dad left. I don’t know where he is.”
Kyle’s eyes stayed on the road.

“Joanna. I don’t know what to tell you.”

“I don’t care what you say, I need to fine him!” Joanna yells.
Kyle looks over at her. His eyes had those long dark bags under them.

“Joanna, just calm down. We’re going get out of here and then find him.”
Joanna sighed and turned away from him.

“I promise. We will find him.” Kyle reassures.
He drove the car until they reached the city limits. Kyle kept on driving until they were far from Vineville. Joanna and her friends had left behind their home, their families and their former life as they know it.