The Crabby Old Lady and the Affair by the Sea | Teen Ink

The Crabby Old Lady and the Affair by the Sea

By I_am_not_an_angel BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey
I_am_not_an_angel BRONZE, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

"I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."--Thoreau

Author's note: Ultimately, the "omniscient" narrator only knows what Nate has told her; keep this in mind while you are reading the story.

Nate’s on my bed again. It has been long enough that I don’t remember the feel of him. He’s fully clothed for once—wearing an ill-fitting suit over bones that used to wear muscle and skin.
He doesn’t know how wrong he feels; he has numbed himself to the creativity that flows through his veins like blood. He is not a creature of light and shadow anymore. He has diluted himself with the bread and breath of mortals. With their earthly concerns and cares.
Some men find their muse and with the muse comes art. Nate found a muse and lost his art. Now she’s just an unattainable goal, more light and shadow than he ever was, nothing but the dregs at the bottom of his mug of beer.
Most men go to college to create themselves. I would say that Nate went to destroy himself. It would be fitting; he always made fun of college as the place people go when they want their dreams to die.

I have always wanted to be a writer, and I have always known that Nate would be my subject.
I waited as long as I had to wait, because Nate was the purest and the most brilliant diamond I’d ever seen, and he would do noteworthy things and I would chronicle him and he’d read my devotion in my words and fall in love with me and be mine alone.
But Nate never believed in exclusivity.
I didn’t realize, when we were young, that the story he would give me would be the story of the woman who’d destroyed him. An innocuous suburban girl living with her grandma for the summer. I always thought that his story would be our story, not their story. But then, in taking his story I am making it inherently mine, and through their story I am developing my own separate us. He, me, she.
After all, I decided long ago that I would rather share him than lose him forever. When we have nothing left, we cling to our flawed convictions.
“Seventy-four days,” he says now, finally breaking the silence that he’s kept since he rang my doorbell and came into my room and sat down on my bed.
It was the first time he ever used the front door, I think. Before, he would always go for the window.
“I woke up in her bed alone and there was the calendar on the wall,” he groans, like the calendar was kryptonite and he was Superman and someone baked kryptonite into brownies and he ate the whole damn batch.
“She’d written it all out, day one, day two, day three, to count how long she would be with her grandma. But she stopped marking after day twenty-nine. I remember that day. The first time we made love.”
Nate says “making love,” but he doesn’t say it in a corny way. Only Nate could ever get away with saying “making love” and meaning it. Nate inspires love, Nate breathes love; Nate’s exhalations bring a heady sense of love and I have to rock back on my heels to avoid being sucked into the vortex that is the feeling of loving him. I have been in that vortex before, and only our separation allowed me to finally claw my way out. I shove my hands into my pockets so I don’t reach out and touch him.
He’s going over every moment, every kiss, every laugh and word and smile. His eyes are far away—four summers away. He is replaying his moments with her and turning her whispers into professions of love, their fights into wisps of air and half-laughter. I know now that he will destroy himself completely with longing.
I know because I have done the same thing.
We live in a run-down beach town. Our only source of revenue comes from the end of June to the end of August, when our homes and shore and hotels come alive with tourists looking for a “quiet summer” with the rest of their upper-middle-class, landlocked town.
Most of us kids accepted the tourists like an infestation of roaches—distasteful and unkillable. But Nate never did. He frothed at the sham that life was, at the condescension of the loud, lobster-red summer wonders toward us “locals,” at hypocrisy…
Nate was many things, but never a hypocrite.
I guess he was so good that he had to be ruined, like maybe God realized that Nate was making sense of it all—and Nate never identified with one god—and maybe God thought Nate would try to replace Him.
Nate wouldn’t have tried; he hated sniveling worshippers.
Nate was going to be an artist, a genius, when we were young. A king living off of the works of his hands, and living in the beds of the beautiful women who threw themselves at him.
Right now, he’s four days away from law school.
I have waited twenty years for my story. Ever since I met Nate when we were three. And now that he’s finally confessed what happened to him that summer, I almost don’t have the heart to write it.
Nate used to help a grumpy old woman named Martha keep her home, and in exchange she let him use her art studio. They got on well, I suppose. And that way, his dad couldn’t get drunk and destroy everything Nate created.
Martha’s granddaughter came to live at the shore for two months, the summer Nate and I graduated high school.
Her name was Emma, a girl a grade younger than us, with high expectations for her life, an adoring boyfriend, and 100% averages in every class.
She didn’t deserve any of it; she didn’t appreciate any of it. And then when Nate taught her how to appreciate life, she appreciated his lesson enough to run off and leave him heartbroken.
The night Nate told me Emma was coming, I remember saying, “Nate, she won’t be smart like you. She’ll just be book smart. She knows how to get A’s, that’s all. She won’t have soul.”
Nate always went on about soul. At that point, I was desperately trying to show him that I had soul, more soul than anyone else. After all, how could I love him as much as I did, if I didn’t have soul? And why wasn’t my soul enough for him?
We were in the ocean, the little sand particles in the chill water swirling around our waists like mini cyclones. His face glistened in the moonlight, water droplets highlighting the length of his strong cheek. Salt water streamed from his hair, dampening it into a brown color.
Nate’s eyes always matched the ocean, and they were more gray than blue or green that night.
“Don’t be jealous,” he laughed, and dove under a wave just before it crashed. His shriveled foot flicked up and disappeared into the foaming wall of water, and the water hit me with enough force to knock me over. The wave engulfed me, and the world devolved into a blur of twisting sand particles and the dim silver moon filtering through the Atlantic Ocean.
“Anyway, I’m not jealous,” I said, shoving myself up and trying to discreetly expel the saltwater from my mouth. He laughed; we both knew I was lying. I blinked the water out of my eyes.
“I’ll make love to you if you want,” he offered, reaching out to me. I wrapped my legs around his waist and nestled my head into the space between his shoulder and neck. We sank into the water together, until it was around our necks and my hair floated in long tendrils around us like our heads together were the sun and my hair was little rays of light.
“I love you,” I mumbled, meaning it with all my heart.
His arms tightened around me. “And I love you.”
But that didn’t mean anything; Nate loved everyone.
He loved very well, too, but the pleasure wasn’t worth the hours and days of mental agony afterwards.
I don’t think Nate ever spent a night in his own bed.
I lay in bed with him that night, after we had swum ourselves into exhaustion. We curled up around each other for warmth, and I lulled myself to sleep pretending I had him to myself.
I should have woken him spontaneously in the night and fucked him until he couldn’t breathe. I should have clawed his back or bitten his lip or something… Anything.
I should have been someone else for him, because I never would have hurt him the way the other girl hurt him.
After that night, Emma came. She came and she found his heart and she left, and she left his heart in more pieces than the masterpiece he destroyed when he woke up on the seventy-fourth morning and found her gone.
Now Nate is sitting on my bed in an ill-fitting suit, his blond tangles tamed, trimmed, and slicked back. His eyes don’t match the sea anymore; the sea sparkles with light but his eyes are a dull, blank gray. “After all,” he muses, and I know that these words are not for my ears, “After all, one falls in love with the artist, but really one is falling in love with the artist’s dream.”
We are both quiet for a moment, staring at each others’ knees.
“I always knew you’d get it out of me,” he says, nursing a coffee cup under a day of blond stubble. “The story. I’m sick of hiding it anyway.”
He looks so lost. I don’t move any closer to him; it’s taken me long enough to get over Nate.
“And she came back, a few weeks later,” Nate says. He’s torturing himself, the way I used to torture myself over him. Counting kisses, replaying caresses. Knowing they meant nothing to him, knowing they meant the world to me.
“I’d let you write it,” he says.
I can’t meet his eyes.
“My story.” The words are soft.
“I used to think I would be famous.”
I can barely hear him now.
“Just make it up. You know basically what happened. But I want to be remembered somehow, for something. Not for the mediocre lawyer I’m going to be. For the artist I might have been.”
And I see that college and the girl haven’t crushed Nate’s dreams entirely. They’re still there, trembling, broken-winged birds. But they live on. And he’s giving them to me.

Emma had lived so long with the absence of emotion that she did not know how to function in its presence.
She wrote college essays on the beauty of art, but her sentences trailed off into memories of his trailing fingertips. Eventually, she managed to finish an essay, to compress her entire soul into five hundred words and upload it onto a website. To send it to someone who had never met her, would never meet her. She gave Nate to a stranger—she gave Nate away, but his face continued to float behind her eyes, a watermark across every paper she read, a glimmering projection over the faces of her parents, of John, of her teachers.
Sitting upright at her desk, she could only stare at the blank wall in front of her and ponder the impersonal off-white of her room. She took to sitting cross-legged on her bed, notebooks in her lap, and watching the sun rise and fall outside of her window.
She tried to reason with herself—this is not logical. But the deluge of longing in her did not stop for reason. The waves of her soul beat themselves against her chest, and her restraints had tumbled down beneath the flood.
When she ate in her spacious granite kitchen, she felt unbearably claustrophobic. She ate alone, but the stainless steel refrigerator stared at her, its ice dispenser a gaping maw.
She could not stand the spotlessness of the kitchen, the cabinets in muted stern wood. She could not stand the loneliness of meals she had never shared with her parents before.
One night, she dumped a vat of boiling pasta onto the gray granite, water and all. The droplets of liquid hissed as they hit the speckled countertop, jumping in all directions like little bouncing balls. A few caught her forearms and splattered across her shirt, but she did not feel the burns.
The pasta fell in a lump in the middle of the counter, lying limp like a dead thing. She shoved her fingers into the spaghetti and pulled up two handfuls, letting it slither along her palms like worms. Pressing her hips to the edge of the counter, she pulled her arms back and hurled the pasta across the room.
Bits of pasta flew loose, coating the table and chairs and floor. Then she whirled, yanking the fridge open. The sauce sat in a glass jar on the door. She pulled it out, leaving the fridge swung wide and exhaling cool air into its little corner of the room.
As she turned, she twisted the lid, feeling the flimsy metal beneath her palm.
It wouldn’t open.
Emma paused, chest heaving, and stared across the rectangular room. Pasta dangled from the edges of the table and the counter. Water trickled steadily down the side of the island, making darker streaks across the dark wood.
She blinked. This was a mess.
Absent-mindedly, she twisted the cap off of the jar: She had been applying too much pressure before, squeezing the sides of the lid into the glass and inhibiting herself.
Still without considering, she dumped the contents of the jar onto the counter. The sauce lay like congealing blood across the pasta. Bits of tomato stuck out like clots, chive and scallion like macrophages or B-cell receptors or T-cell receptors. As though she were performing an autopsy—pasta tissue, tomato sauce blood… This person suffered a pulmonary embolism. Or maybe it was deep vein thrombosis. She smeared the sauce and pasta with her left hand, still clasping the empty jar in her right.
No one used this kitchen, anyway.
A soft “oh” at the doorway caught her attention.
Emma looked up, the jar in her hand evidence of her crime. She met her mother’s eye. Her mother’s hand covered her mouth.
“What is this?” her mother asked, her voice thin and muffled. Her other hand grasped the doorframe—her tendons stood out on her pale hand, whiter against the dark wood.
Emma closed her eyes and dropped the jar. It shattered on the floor, little bits of glass flying out like ripples in a pond. Glass shards pricked her ankle, the top of her bare foot, sending tiny rivulets of blood down onto the dark wood floors.
And from somewhere deep inside of herself—“It’s art.”
***
She lay in bed at night, remembering Beasts of the Sea and Church’s painting of Niagara Falls. She turned restlessly, rolling onto her back as she recalled Nate’s serious eyes on the Matisse painting. On her side when he asked her which she preferred. “The Church one, obviously,” as she shifted to her stomach, pressing her body into the mattress and trying not to breathe. “Why is that obvious?” Her other side. Sitting up, punching the pillow. Now—out loud to herself. “It’s not obvious.”
But then—“Well… Beasts of the Sea isn’t real art. It’s colors and boxes.”
Nate—“Isn’t that what art is?” Turning away, his arms folded across his chest, his disappointment obvious in the stiffness of his back.
And she hadn’t realized it then, but she had noticed the curve of his spine beneath his shirt that day, how he straightened when she said it wasn’t real art. Even then, he had been changing her.
Her pasta disaster had been art. It had been creation in a space that was once a vacuum of emptiness—her own minor Big Bang. And now her universe was expanding, but she did not know if she could keep up with it.
The weather turned, like a clockmaker’s creation, the cuckoo birds fluttering free into the crisp autumn, the leaves left to die beneath the snow.
She often felt like she too was a leaf—not one on her own lawn; her father hired a boy to keep the grass emerald green and immaculate, so that the snow lay in a carpet over thousands of dollars of landscaping.
No, Emma felt like a leaf in a ditch on a winding road, buried beneath dirty snow on a day that glowered gray at the world. She started writing lines of poetry—I believe that once I was a leaf, fluttering free…
She knew that she had flown, so to speak. That she had broken free of the tree that was her father, and had a glorious fall.
But now she had hit the ground.
Early decision responses came out in the middle of December.
Emma let her mother open the thick letter from Yale. She left the room before her mother could finish scanning the first line.
Only after her mother had gone to bed did Emma creep downstairs, cold toes on cold marble floors, and sit in her hard-backed kitchen chair. She did not turn the light on, but sat marveling at the texture of the letter in her fingers.
Her future, in fifteen ounces of printer paper folded and shoved into an innocuous white envelope.
Finally, she pulled the bundle of paper out. The volume of it meant that the fold wasn’t entirely even. She smoothed it on the table, the moonlight bleaching the paper, bringing out the shine in the black letters.
They had wanted her because she was broken, because she was lost and empty. She had given them her emptiness, held it out in palms no longer rough with turpentine, and they had snatched her up in her beautiful, ruined state. They could not fix her, but they did not know it yet.
Emma pulled her shirt in close to her body, the folds of material soft against her cold skin. Externally, she felt how cold her body was; when she brushed her fingers against her thigh, both were numb. But she did not know the cold; it was at once familiar and foreign to her. She was struck by just how badly she wanted to be held. His arms were her safe place.
Her entire future was in her fingertips, dangling between thumb and forefinger. She had no choice. She had already agreed to this new life that she did not know. Already signed away her options electronically.
And the massiveness of what was to come struck her.
This past that she had had, living in this empty house with her tired mother and her overzealous father, this past was ending.
The kitchen would sit empty, and no one would spill pasta on the granite counter ever again. In seven months’ time, Emma would be living out a future that her father had given her…
Nate would not be a participant in this future. Nate would not go on to be college educated and well-rounded and well-dressed at a cocktail party in ten years, where they could stumble into each other and dance until her heels made her feet bleed. No, Nate would stay singly focused and ever more intense, whiling away his eternity in her grandmother’s studio, living in the ocean that lived in him. He would lie in bed with woman after woman, forget about Emma, continue on as he always had.
There had always been the moon, watching them, impassive, as they lay in her bed together.
Now the moon peeked in between the excessive brown drapes that her mother had bought—just a chink of moonlight, because the housekeeper closed the drapes every night before she left. It had been steadily rising as she sat there, and it rested in a stripe along her face now. She felt it, running like the edge of a ruler beneath her cheekbone.
This time next year, Emma would be staring at the moon as it rose out over New Haven. And Nate would still be in her grandmother’s studio, his fingers cupping stone, his lips slightly parted as he worked.
She had not cried before, but now, holding that worthless, damning sheath of paper in one hand, she bent her head over the glossy polished wood and sobbed, her tears splashing onto the table.