honors project | Teen Ink

honors project

By smekelburg2025, Atlanta, Georgia
smekelburg2025, Atlanta, Georgia

I am 14 and I can’t swim. It’s not that I’m incapable; all my limbs work properly. It’s just that my mind won’t let me. Every time I’ve tried to even go near the water, I freeze up. This presents a unique problem. See, I live in a small town off the coast of Maine. Here, everyone knows each other. It’s literally impossible to keep a secret. Everybody knows me as the girl who can’t swim. It is completely and utterly humiliating. 

Growing up, I would hear other parents whisper about me, “Oh that’s Sophia, don’t invite her to the birthday party, she can’t swim”

“Poor thing,” they say.

“What a shame,” they sneer.

They act like I can’t hear them. In a town where life centers around the ocean, I am constantly being ostracized. I’m the black sheep, the town embarrassment. Worst of all, my swimming ceremony is coming up. You see, in my town, the summer before you start high school, you have to prove that you are ready to become an adult. It’s a whole ceremony. The entire rising ninth-grade class has to jump off a cliff. From there you swim to the beach. Then you have to swim from shore to a small island in the middle of the bay and back. The ceremony proves you’re ready to contribute to your family and neighbors, as a lot of our culture and livelihood surround the ocean. 

For example, my dad is a fisherman. I spend my weekends helping my dad set up his booth for the farmer’s market. During the summer, I am tasked with the wonderful chore of cleaning and gutting the fish. Trust me, it’s just as gross as it sounds. Once I complete the ceremony, he’ll begin to teach me how to sail and fish. Eventually, I’m expected to take over his business and continue his legacy. He says he’s proud of me no matter what, but I can tell he thinks I’m a disappointment. I can see it in his eyes when he leaves the dock, watching wistfully as every other fisherman has their kids on board helping. I know it makes him sad, but I just can’t. I’m a failure of a daughter. My only duty, my only job as a teen, is to help my family. But I can’t even do that. The bare minimum. But that changes today.

“Bye mom!” I shout up the stairs. “I’m heading out with Alice!”

“Oh ok sweetie, have fun and stay safe,” she responds. 

The ceremony also symbolizes that we are ready to be independent and can stay safe/take care of ourselves. If I complete the ceremony- no, when I complete the ceremony, I’ll have the freedom to go where I want without having to sneak around like this. When I’m sure my mom’s back in her room, I quietly sneak back in. Swiftly, I grab the essentials: goggles, swimsuit, towel. I begin to zip up my backpack, but I hesitate. Sighing, I stuff some floaties in before rezipping. Rather be safe than sorry. Suddenly, I hear a noise, and I freeze. I wait silently until I hear the footsteps fade away, and I hear the creak of my mom's bed as she sits back in it. I breathe a sigh of relief and tiptoe out the door, making sure it closes silently. Phew, that was a close one. I strap my helmet on and swing a leg over my powder blue bike. I’m off. I ride through the old, bumpy, cobblestone streets. Our town is small, so almost nobody drives. The closest thing to a car we have is a moped.

I pedal through the rows of colorful, narrow houses. When I was younger, I used to pretend they were books on a shelf, all pressed up against each other. I still like to imagine the kind of stories each book would be about. I pass the gray stone house, with vines creeping up it, clearly home to a mad alchemist, spending his days in the attic mixing potions. Even though I know it’s not real, I still speed up, pumping my legs harder, lest the alchemist sees me and decides I’m the perfect ingredient he’s been missing. My mom says I’m a daydreamer, and she’s not wrong. Why be stuck in this boring reality when I could create my own? When I’m lonely while my classmates play on the beach, I can pretend I’m riding a horse through the woods on my way to rescue a princess. In my head, I can be anywhere and anything I want.  

I stop to wave to the baker- an Italian Nonno with the best bread in town. His face is wrinkly, no doubt from the millions of smiles he’s given. He’s one of my favorite people, one of the only townspeople who doesn’t make fun of my fear. His warm demeanor puts anyone at ease. 

“Buongiorno fiorellina” he greets me warmly. 

He always calls me Fiorellina. When I asked him about it, he said it means little flower. He says it’s because “I will bloom,” whatever that's supposed to mean. 

“What are you be doing today?” he asked

“Today’s the day, Nonno. I’m going to get over my fear of swimming. Alice is going to help me,” I explained.

“Well, in that case, you’ll need fuel,” he says and hands me two sandwiches. 

“Thank you so much!!” I exclaim.

“Good luck, I believe in you.” he calls out as I leave.

I shoot him a quick grin before pedaling off. Shortly after, I arrived at the shore. I walked over to this small shallow cove with very gentle waves. It’s the perfect place to learn to swim. Soon after, Alice pulled up. She leans her bike against a tree and plops down on the sand next to me. 

“Hey girl are you ready for this?” she asks. 

“Ready as I’ll ever be” I shrug. Alice is a great friend: instead of dismissing my fears, she’s chosen to be my anchor in this journey I am about to embark upon. Where others scorn, she approaches me with a comforting smile, ready to lend a helping hand.

“Ok so I was doing some research and apparently to cure fears you can do something called exposure therapy. Let’s start slow- dip your toes in,” she instructs me.

I step into the surf, feeling my toes sink into the soft sand. The gentle waves lap at my ankles. This isn’t too bad. 

“Alright now lets take small steps forward.” she says. 

I grab her hand, and slowly, we advance, every step slightly deeper than the last. Before I know it, I’m in water up to my knees. My waist. My chest. Suddenly, I realize the water is up to my shoulders. I feel my fear rising up in me. I can feel it, like a tight ball in my throat. It’s hard to breathe. 

I look at Alice with crazed eyes, “Alice I can’t do this, we need to go back.”

“No, I know you can do this.” she affirms. She squeezes my hand tighter. The waves are bigger in this deeper water. 

“Just breathe,” she coaches me. 

Without warning, a wave rises out of nowhere. I get knocked over, and suddenly, I’ve lost my footing. I desperately kick my feet down, trying to find solid ground. But there is nothing. I frantically try to keep my head above the water. 

“Watch out!” Alice shouts at me. 

I whip my head around just in time to see an even larger wave rising above my head. I managed to take a deep breath before it all went dark. I stiffen as my body adjusts to the sudden change in temperature. I squeeze my eyes even tighter as the saltwater stings my chapped lips. I am at the mercy of the waves. In this darkness, I am totally disoriented, I have no sense of direction. I desperately claw towards what I hope is upwards, and my hand clenches around nothing. I’m trying to find something, anything, to pull myself up. My lungs scream for more air. I push off the burning in my chest. I need to keep going. 

“Stupid sophia.” I scold myself in my head. 

I should’ve known this would happen. My anxiety was right. I’m running out of air. My muscles are straining against the current. I feel myself growing weaker and weaker. Slowly, I begin to sink. All of a sudden, I feel a strong set of hands wrap around my ribcage. In a flurry of bubbles, I am propelled to the surface. The color behind my eyelids shifts from a dark black to a warm red, and I know I’m nearing the surface. With one final push, I’m thrust through the surface, my face breaking through into the air. I gasp, taking deep gulps of air. I hold onto Alice with all my strength as she brings me to shore. Finally, I feel my feet hit the sand again. I crawl my way onto the beach before collapsing onto my back, chest heaving. 

Alice sheepishly sits down next to me. I sit up and hug my knees to my chest, burying my face between them. I can’t face her, not now, not like this. Alice gives me a sympathetic smile, full of pity. 

“Hey,” she says softly and gently places a hand on my shoulder. I flinch at her touch, and she quickly retracts her arm. A pang of guilt shoots through me. That wasn’t nice of me, she's just trying to help. 

“I- I’m sorry,” I say and lift my head up. I don’t make eye contact with her, I can’t. Not yet.

“Are you ok?” she asks with genuine concern.

“I guess I’m ok. I’m just really shaken up,” I admit. I turn to look at her. I notice small red half-moon crescents carved into her arms. “Oh my god, what happened to your arm? Are you ok?” I ask. 

She smiles sadly. “You. You happened to my arm” she responds with a soft sort of sadness. 

Ashamed, I look away. “...Oh,” I mutter quietly. “I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be! It’s worth it because you’re safe,” she reassures me. 

“I should’ve never done this. This was a mistake. I can’t swim, and I never will.”

Alice sighs, her eyes reflecting a mix of frustration and understanding. "Sophia, you can't give up after one setback. Overcoming fear takes time, patience, and persistence. We just started, and it's okay to be scared. But look at it this way – you faced your fear today. You were in the water, and you didn't drown. That's progress."

I wipe the salt water from my face and stare out at the rolling waves. Confused, I press her, “But I did start drowning?”

“No, you sank.” she retorts “But before that, for a brief moment, you swam.” 

Alice gives me a moment to consider her words before continuing, "Exposure therapy can be tough, but it's about gradually building resilience. We can try again, start from the shallows, and take it slow. I'll be right there with you, every step of the way."

I smile at her, tears welling in my eyes yet again. I lick my lips. My mouth tastes salty- a mixture of the ocean water and my tears. “Alice,” I say, “you are a really good friend. I don’t deserve you.”

“Well duh,” she laughs. 

I roll my eyes at her. “Ugh I’m STARVING,” I complain.

“Good thing Nonno gave us those sandwiches.” Alice says, reaching for the bag.

“I call dibs on the turkey!” I say, lunging for the tightly wrapped sandwich in Alice’s right hand. 

“They’re both turkey, stupid,” Alice says, shoving me away.

“Oh, whoops.” I say.

Alice rolls her eyes and throws me a towel “Come on, wipe off your face you’re all snotty from crying”

I catch it and press my face into my red-striped towel. The sand grains scratch my body as I dry off. “Ugh, it’s covered in sand,” I complain.

Alice grimaces while chewing her sandwich. “So are the sandwiches. My mouth feels all gritty,” she mumbles out while chewing. 

“Yeah, that’s my fault, I should’ve brought a better bag,” I say. 

“I forgive you,” Alice says as she sets down the brown paper wrapper into the sand. “as long as you promise to try again tomorrow.”

I pause for a moment and chew, contemplating her words. “Mmmmm, fine,” I groan. “I’ll try again tomorrow” 

“Yay!” Alice whoops, celebrating. “Just so you know even if you said no, I would’ve dragged you here anyways.”

“Yeah, I know you would,” I admit. “That’s why you are such a great friend, you always push me past my limits”

“You know it girl,” she says, lightly punching my shoulder.

I lean my head on her shoulder and close my eyes. The sun beams down, its warmth enveloping me like a warm blanket. It’s comforting. At that moment, briefly, I thought that maybe everything would be ok. I will try again tomorrow. 

Alice leans her head on top of mine. “You feeling better?” she asks.

“Mm yeah,” I mutter sleepily.

Alice laughs “See food fixes everything!”

“So true,” I respond. I love the sound of Alice's laugh. High-pitched, it’s exactly how I would imagine a fairy laughing sounds like. It never fails to make me smile. 

I turn to face Alice. Sighing, I rest my head on her shoulder and close my eyes, content. 

“Alice?” I ask.

“Mmm yeah?” she responds, muttering.

“You are a really good friend” I tell her.

“Uh yeah, duh” she says playfully, shoving me off her shoulder.

“No but seriously, I’m extremely grateful for you.” I say sincerely. 

“Aw I’m so grateful for you too.” she responds. 

We sit there for a while, basking in the warmth of the sun, sharing laughter, and munching on our sandy sandwiches. The worries of the world seem to drift away with the gentle sea breeze. After a while, we decided it was time to head home before my mom started worrying.

As we ride our bikes back through the cobblestone streets, I reflect on the day. Despite the initial setback, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Alice has helped me face my fear, and though it's not conquered yet, I know I'm on the right path. The support she's provided, both emotionally and physically, has been a lifeline. I am still terrified, horrified of swimming. But at least this is a step forward. Being brave is hard. But that’s ok, I knew this journey wouldn’t be easy. I’m going to take this one step at a time, with Alice by my side the whole way. 

When we reach my house, Alice hugs me quickly before pedaling off to her own home. I walk into the house, feeling a mix of exhaustion and gratitude. My mom is waiting in the living room.

“Sophia darling, you’re home!”

“Oh hey mom!” I greet her.

“Come here, give me a hug.” she demands. 

“Ok,” I say, exasperated, sarcastically rolling my eyes. I walk over and embrace her. 

“How was your day love? What’d you do?” she asks.

“Eh, nothing much. Hung out with Alice.” I respond casually. I don’t want her to know I’ve been learning to swim. I want it to be a surprise. 

That night, as I lay in bed, I replay the events of the day in my mind. The fear, the struggle, and the triumph. I’m nervous, but also excited in a way. But I am capable of facing these challenges head-on.

As I drift off to sleep, I can't help but feel a sense of anticipation for tomorrow. The sun will rise again, and with it, a new opportunity to conquer the waves. With Alice by my side, I know I can do it.

The next day, the sun rises in a clear sky, promising another warm day. I wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window. Through the blinds, sunlight beams in stripes across my room. It’s a new day, and there’s no time to waste. I hurriedly brush my teeth, get dressed, eat, and head out. 

Mounting my bike, I pedaled through the familiar streets to reach Alice's house. As I approached, she stepped outside, the door clicking shut behind her. Her infectious energy was palpable.

“Hey, girl!” Alice greets me, as she buckles her helmet. 

“Heyyyy,” I trill back.

“How are you feeling today?” she asks.

“I’m feeling so hyped.” I respond, excitedly.

“Good! Let’s go then!” she says. 

And so, once again, Alice and I head back to the beach, armed with determination and a newfound resilience. As we approach the familiar cove, I feel a mix of excitement and nervousness. We lean our bikes against a tree, tossing our bags in the shade. Alice shoots me an encouraging smile, and we wade into the water.

"Alright, Sophia, we're going to take it slow again. We'll start with dipping your toes," Alice suggests, her voice gentle.

I take a deep breath, remembering the panic from yesterday. But this time, I hold onto Alice's words. It's about progress, not perfection.

Dipping my toes in, I feel the cool embrace of the water. It's a small step, but a significant one for me. 

“You got this girl,” she reassures me. 

I grab hold of her hand, her presence is soothing. Slowly, together, we advance further. Alice encourages me to take more steps, each one deeper than the last. With each step, I feel the fear subsiding, replaced by a growing sense of accomplishment. 

Before I know it, I'm up to my hips. A growing sense of fear immediately replaces my sense of accomplishment. My breathing rapidly increases. 

“Hey woah relax, it’s ok,” Alice says worriedly.

“I- I don’t know, I-” say, shaking my head.

“It’s ok look at me.” Alice responds, cutting me off mid-sentence.

I lock eyes with her. I find a pair of warm, comforting eyes staring back at me. Her presence is grounding. I look down at our hands. I’m gripping hers so tightly that my knuckles are turning white. 

“Oh, sorry,” I apologize, relaxing my grip. 

“Don’t even worry about it, I’m here for you.” she reassures me. 

I exhale deeply, trying to relax. 

"Now, let's try floating on your back," Alice suggests.

Tentatively, I follow her lead, lying back in the water, letting it cradle me. At first, I'm tense, but with Alice's guidance, I begin to relax. I feel the gentle support of the water beneath me, and surprisingly, it's not as terrifying as I imagined.

"See, you're floating! You're doing great!" Alice cheers, her enthusiasm contagious.

Suddenly, I become hyper-aware of my surroundings. I realize I am floating on my back, Aice’s hand on my shoulder a single point, tethering me. This anchor is the only thing keeping me from floating away. Panic begins to set in.

Alice must’ve picked up on my uneasiness, “Hey, it’s ok you’ve got this” she reassures me. Slowly, she pushes me into deeper water. She’s treading water, holding me upright.

“What are you doing?” I ask her cautiously.

“I want you to try to swim.” she states.

“What? Are you crazy? I’m not ready!” I exclaim.

“There’s no such thing as being ready- you just have to go for it!” she tells me.  

In a blink of an eye, her hand is off my shoulder and I’m on my own. Fear begins to rise up as I feel myself getting pushed by the waves.

“Come on girl, tread water!” Alice reminds me. 

Encouraged by her words, I start to paddle my arms, testing the waters—literally. Alice stays close, providing support and reassurance. Gradually, I begin to move through the water, albeit clumsily. It's not graceful, but it's progress.

“I’m doing it, I’m doing it!” I exclaim.

“Yes you are!” Alice beams. 

"Okay, Sophia, let's try some simple strokes. Just take it one step at a time," Alice advises.

With Alice guiding me through the basic movements, I start to experiment with swimming strokes. It's a slow and steady process, but I can feel myself gaining confidence. Alice swims alongside me, offering encouragement and correcting my form.

As the day progresses, we continue to work on different swimming techniques. Alice's patience and support make all the difference. With each attempt, I become more comfortable in the water. The fear that once held me captive begins to loosen its grip.

Before I know it, we've ventured into even deeper waters. The waves are more challenging, but Alice is there, a constant presence beside me. I feel a sense of trust growing between us, a bond forged in the water.

As the sun begins to dip below the horizon, casting a warm glow on the ocean, I realize something profound. I'm not just learning to swim; I'm learning to conquer my fears. Alice has become more than a friend—she's my anchor, guiding me through uncharted waters.

"Sophia, you're doing amazing! You're a natural swimmer," Alice cheers, her eyes sparkling with pride.

I smile, a genuine and triumphant grin. "Thanks to you, Alice. I couldn't have done it without you."

We paddle back to the shore, tired but exhilarated. Once a source of anxiety, the beach now holds a newfound sense of victory. The townspeople may still remember me as the girl who couldn't swim, but today, I've rewritten that narrative.

As we pack up our things and prepare to leave, I glance back at the water. Next week is the ceremony, and while I may not be a perfect swimmer just yet, I know I've taken a giant leap forward. With Alice by my side, I face the horizon, ready to embrace the challenges that lie ahead.

Before I know it, the morning of the ceremony arrives, and the entire town is buzzing with anticipation. The air is thick with the scent of saltwater, and the sun glistens off the waves, casting a golden hue across the bay. Today is the day I face the ocean, not as the girl who can't swim, but as someone who has conquered her fears, thanks to Alice.

Dressed in a swimsuit and nervously adjusting my goggles, I make my way to the cliff where the ceremony is set to take place. The rising ninth-grade class gathers, and I can feel the eyes of the townspeople on us. The whispers start, but this time, they carry a different tone.

"Is that Sophia? The girl who couldn't swim?"

"I heard she's been practicing with Alice."

"Well, let's see if she'll make it."

“Sophia? Is that you?” a familiar voice says. It's my mom. I look over to see both of my parents standing amidst the crowd. 

“Hi Mom. Don’t worry, I’ve got this.” I reassure her. She looks a bit confused. That expression is quickly replaced by one of encouragement as she flashes me a thumbs up.

I take a deep breath, trying to drown out the noise. Alice appears at my side, her eyes filled with confidence and support. She gives my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"You've got this, Sophia. Just like we practiced," she whispers.

As the ceremony begins, the first few classmates bravely take the plunge off the cliff. The cheers and applause echo through the air. My heart pounds in my chest as I watch, knowing that my turn is approaching.

When my name is called, I walk to the edge of the cliff, feeling the weight of everyone's expectations. The ocean below looks vast and unforgiving, but this time, I don't feel the familiar grip of fear. Instead, I remember the countless hours Alice and I spent in the water, the small victories that led to this moment.

Before I know it, Alice and I’s names are being called to the front. Nervously I step up to the cliff’s edge. Alice and I exchange glances.

“Together?” she asks.

“Together.” I affirm. 

I grab her hand. She squeezes it twice to comfort me. I return my gaze to the water below. 

“We’ll go on the count of three.” Alice says.

“One.” she says, and my heart speeds up.

“Two,” I respond, and I tense my legs, ready to jump. 

“Three!” We shout together. 

With a deep breath, I take a leap, plunging into the water. The initial shock is replaced by a surge of adrenaline. I kick my legs and paddle my arms, embracing the freedom that comes with movement. The cheers from the shore grow louder, blending with the sound of the waves.

As I swim towards the beach, I can feel the eyes of the townspeople on me. It's a different kind of scrutiny, one filled with surprise and admiration. The shore approaches, and I emerge from the water, breathless but triumphant.

The townspeople, once skeptical, now erupt into applause. My mom, standing at the front, wipes away tears of pride. Even my dad, usually stoic, beams with a sense of accomplishment. Alice is the first to reach me, her face lit up with joy.

"You did it, Sophia! I knew you could!" she exclaims, pulling me into a tight hug.

I can't stop smiling as the townspeople congratulate me. The weight of expectation and judgment that I've carried for so long has lifted. I glance at the horizon, realizing that the ocean, once a source of fear, is now a symbol of triumph.

It is at this moment that I finally understand that overcoming my fear wasn't just about swimming; it was about proving to myself and others that I am capable of growth and change. The ceremony becomes a celebration not just of swimming ability, but also of resilience and courage. We are ready to be in high school, and that comes with a whole new set of exciting responsibilities.

As the day unfolds, my dad takes me aside, a rare smile on his face. "I'm proud of you, Sophia. You faced the ocean, just like I knew you would."

I nod, a mixture of gratitude and relief washing over me. The weight of familial expectations has shifted, and I feel a newfound sense of connection with my dad.

The sun sets over the bay, casting a warm glow on the town. The celebration continues, but as I look out at the ocean, I realize that this is just the beginning. With each stroke, I've rewritten my story, and the chapters ahead are filled with endless possibilities.

The townspeople gathered around a bonfire on the beach, sharing stories and laughter. Alice and I sat side by side, watching the flames dance in the darkness. The sound of waves crashing against the shore created a soothing rhythm, a reminder of the journey we had embarked upon.

Bonfire celebration at the beach

As the night progressed, the town's elders approached me, their faces reflecting both admiration and approval. "Sophia, you've proven yourself today. The ocean can be a formidable force, but so can the human spirit. You've shown great courage, and we commend you," one of them declared.

I felt a sense of validation, not just for myself but for everyone who had ever faced their fears. The ceremony was not just about swimming; it was a symbolic passage into a new chapter of life, a chapter where I had the power to redefine who I was and what I could achieve.

The bonfire crackled, casting flickering shadows on the sand. Alice turned to me, a glint of mischief in her eyes. "You know, Sophia, conquering the ocean is one thing, but there's something else I've been meaning to teach you."

Curious, I raised an eyebrow. "What could possibly top conquering my fear of the ocean?"

Alice grinned mischievously. "Night swimming."

With that, she led me towards the darkened water, the moonlight dancing on the waves. The laughter of friends, the warmth of the bonfire, and the gentle embrace of the ocean created a moment of pure magic. As we waded into the water, I felt a surge of gratitude for the journey I had undertaken, and for the friend who had been there every stroke of the way.