Redo | Teen Ink

Redo

By AnnickL, Sherborn, Massachusetts
AnnickL, Sherborn, Massachusetts

Author's note:

This piece was heavily inspired by an old Christmas tale where naughty people have to pay the consequences of their actions. This was also inspired by the popular anime Jojos Bizarre Adventure.

“You're good for nothing. I should've picked someone else to do this since it seems as if you can't do anything right,” Joice harshly says to Yubi. 

“I just wanted to help,” she said in a low voice as she turned around. “If you wanted to help then you would've done it right.” Joice was pissed. No one seemed to do anything right. They were all lazy slobs who seemed didn't even want to be there. 

Nobody seemed to like Joice. He was rude, selfish, stuck up, and seemed as if he had no respect for anybody. None of his coworkers liked him, matter of fact they hated him. They never invited him to lunch, or out to drink after work. They all knew he would kill the mood as usual. He treated everyone, especially his coworkers, like garbage, as if he were above them.

The next day at work as Joice was about to get a cup of coffee he felt a leg underneath him. As he tripped, the boiling hot liquid melted through his shirt. His chest now heating up and his shirt was now stained with brown liquid.

When he got up it seemed like there was fire coming out of his head. Face red with anger and teeth-gritting with rage.

“M-m-my apologies sir,” Tobi said while stuttering. Joice hated Tobi the most out of the bunch. He would constantly lash out at him for making simple mistakes. Tobi was only 18, fresh out of high school, and a newcomer, so he would constantly make mistakes.

“Next time move those big feet of yours. Now I have a dirty shirt and my coffee is ruined. You better clean this mess up before I come back,” Joice scolded. Everyone just stared. They all felt bad for him but Joice didn't care. He didn't know that what he was doing was over the top. 

Joice thought that he was just saying what everyone else was thinking. He didn't see himself as “rude”, “selfish” or “stuck up”, instead he saw himself as a confident man. He didn't care about what people thought of him. He disregarded other people's feelings cause he thought only his feelings mattered.

After that incident, Joice walked out of the lounge room angrily. You could say that incident ruined his whole day.

Joice packed up his things to leave for work like usual. He passed by everyone without saying a word and headed out of the office building. He was headed to his usual bus stop not too far away from work. It was a cold and windy November night. He then walked a few more blocks until he was right across the street from his stop. The road seemed pretty safe to walk since no cars were crossing. So he decided that he would just cross, ignoring the “Do not cross” sign. He didn't think anything wrong with it. But as he was midway across the street that's when he saw it. A red Toyota Camry came speeding at him. Joice completely froze in shock not realizing that if he didn't move his feet he would die.

It all went by so fast. One minute he was crossing the street the next he was on the floor hardly breathing. Blood gushing everywhere from his wounds. His body felt as if someone had tried to rip his insides apart. Everything hurts. Joice’s life flashed before his eyes. He started losing consciousness, his vision blurred up.

Is this really where I'm going to die? He thought to himself. His eyes slowly closed as he felt his body shut down. 

A hot ray of light hit Joices face. He bolted up immediately. Everything was all white.

“Is this heaven?” he said aloud

“No,” he heard someone say. Joice turned around quickly to see a pale skinny person with red spikey hair, big red baggy pants with no shirt or shoes. They didn't even seem human, like some sort of demon. He was petrified. So I'm in hell..? He thought to himself

“W-what do you want from me?” Joice said with a shaky voice. They slowly walked towards Joice and got down to his level. A wide smirk then appeared on their face.

“You've been very very bad,” They said in a jokingly voice. “And now you have to pay the price for all the terrible things you've done when you were with the living”

“W-what? Who are you?” Joice said angrily. He just wanted to get out of here.

“Oh yeah, I haven't introduced myself. I'm Reo and a curse has been placed upon you, Joice Fischer, to pay the price of your terrible actions.”'They announced. “Well, I'm not here to stick around. Wish you good luck. Bye!” And just with a snap of a finger, They were gone. They came and left all so quickly.

“Pay the consequences of my actions?”Joice repeated to himself, wondering what he meant. “I haven't done anything wrong-” Then all of a sudden buildings, cars, and what seemed to be a whole city appeared in front of him. And there he was sitting in the middle of an unfamiliar city.

“What’s going on?!” he shouted. All sorts of questions began to pop up in his head. Seconds later he felt his body collapse. He barely had the time to process anything. Heart pounding, sweat quickly coming out of his entire body. Face drooping and body weakening. Joice then passed out. It seemed that he had a stroke.  Everything went so quickly he barely knew what had happened.

And then again he woke up in a different location. This time he was in a house. It was a small two-story house. It was dimly lit, sort of like something out of a horror film. Joice then stood up and realized he probably needed to leave this house. He was still so confused about what was even going on. Did I die? Am I in heaven? Or perhaps hell? He thought to himself. 

He quickly reached for the doorknob leading outside but it was locked. Everything was locked. The windows blacked out, and the walls were hard as stone. Joice then started to feel weirdly warm, and fast. It felt as if he was in an oven. But what he hadn't realized was that the house was on fire. As soon as Joice noticed this he started to panic. I'm going to die, I’m going to die, I’m going to die he repeated to himself over and over again. He tried everything but had no success. His body, now up in flames. Frantically yelling for help. And after what seemed like forever he finally lost consciousness again.

For the third time, he woke up in a new location. This time in the middle of a big space of water, what seemed like the ocean. Stranded in the middle of the sea on a small boat. The salty air and cold breeze washed over him. He watched as the big waves and freezing water went under him.it was pretty obvious what was going to happen. 

“I'm going to drown. Aren't I?” Joiced signed. He caught up on what this “Curse” was about. He already knew that this was probably infinite death. Joice looked up at the sky wondering how he's going to get out of this. 

The tides went low and that's when he saw it, a massive wave rushing at him in full speed. Quickly he decided to use his two arms as paddles to get away but where would he go? He's in the middle of nowhere after all. By the time he made that realization, the wave was already upon him. The ice-cold water quickly washed over him and pulled him deep in the water. Now under the chilling water, he tried to swim up. Joice wasn't a swimmer and was not an ocean person. His body now weakened, he could no longer swim. He gave up and just let the ocean eat him up.

Dieses, plane crash, murder, suicide, you name it, he’s been through. Joice had now lost count of all the deaths he's been through. He just wanted the suffering to stop, he just wanted to die like a normal person. He just didn't know what he did wrong. His knees buckled to the ground and hot tears and slimy snot started all pouring out. Wailing and screaming like a big baby. He was exhausted. He just wanted to go home, enjoy some coffee, and just live a normal life again. He yelled, stomped, and threw himself all over the place out of frustration. And then he looked back at all the people at his office and his life that he mistreated. Reciting all those words he had said he then realized he hadn’t been much of a good person. 

“I’m sorry”  whispered Joice as he looked down at the ground. Knowing no one could hear him and he was talking to himself “I'm sorry for all the horrible things I’ve done” silence filled the air “Please forgive me” he cried out.

“Oh dang it, you've cracked the code” Joice heard a whiny voice next to him. And Reo was standing next to him looking bummed out. “Took you long enough,” They said looking at Joices screwed-up face and torn-up suit. They let out a low chuckle trying to not laugh in his face. 

“Huh?” Joice said in confusion.

“Well, your time here is done. I’m going to give you two options:  would you rather die for good or perhaps go back to the living?” Reo asked as they stared at Joice intensely. He didn't know what to pick. He was too embarrassed to even keep going. Knowing that all the people he knew probably hated him and wanted him dead. For a moment he thought he should just die, but then realized he needs to apologize to all the people he's hurt. He couldn't leave without saying an apology. He's made up his mind.

“I want to go back,” Joice said seriously, finally making his decision. Reo looked at him with a “Are you sure?” look and Joice nodded at him. Taking that as a yes, Reo then snapped his fingers and they both disappeared.

Jolting up suddenly. Joice tried to catch his breath. Quickly inhaling and inhaling. As he was doing so he looked down and saw two tubes stuffed up his nose.  Looking around he then noticed all the tubes connected to his body and a machine right next to him. It took him a while to process that he was lying in a hospital room.

“What am I doing here?” He asked himself. Knowing he had no answer to that.

A tall nurse with long silky black hair and large thick glasses then walked in to check up on Joice, as she usually did. But walking in she didn't expect to see wide eyes staring right back at her. Realizing that he's woken up she quickly ran to grab a doctor. 

“You've been in a coma for 4 months,” The doctor said to him, “We all thought you wouldn't make it but you're a wonderful coworker who convinced us to keep you here a bit longer,” The doctor said with a wide smile. Joice was shocked. His coworkers? Help him? Even after all the things he put them through.

Joice stood in front of his mirror fixing his tie. It's been 2 months since he's woken up, and it was his first day back at work. Joice had a hard time walking and had to take walking therapy because of how hard the car ran over his legs. He didn't know how he would face them after all this. He quickly finished up and headed out.

As nervous as he was Joice stepped into the office building, face red and embarrassed. He then walked up to his coworkers. They were shocked that he had returned and was doing well after what seemed like forever. It smelt like warm coffee and bacon in the lounge where his coworkers were, having breakfast.

“Good morning to you all,” He said, trying not to make eye contact. There was an awkward silence in the air. And then Joice finally spoke “Well I apologize for all the cruel things I've done and said. I didn't know that my words could have such effects” Joice stood there stiffly trying to show his embarrassed face. He then quickly turned around and headed out but abruptly stopped “And things for saving my life,” He said with a soft expression. Smiling for the first time in a long time.