Island survival | Teen Ink

Island survival

This story follows John on a summer afternoon. John is on a cruise ship about to go to the Bermuda triangle. John hears an announcement go “Hello passengers we are about to enter the Bermuda triangle so keep your eyes out for any fish or other sea creatures.” After the announcement, John goes and watches for any fish but then he sees deep down a massive creature with fangs the size of a lion and it takes a big bite out of the ship and he hits his head on the metal railings and gets knocked out. When he wakes up he wakes up on an island that has no signs of any humans. He pulls out his phone but it does not work because it was in saltwater which short-circuited all of the electronics. The situation that he is in dawns upon him and he realizes that he has no contact with people and he's on an island that is somewhere around the Bermuda triangle. He must try to survive on an island with what knowledge he has. So he first tries to find some rocks to lay on the beach to hopefully if anyone flies above they can see it and get some help for him. It takes him about 30 minutes to find all of the rocks to make it so that people would be able to see it from a distance. After this, he goes into the forest on the island with a rock and a stick to try to find something like twine to put the rock on the stick and try to find animals to hunt. It takes him a while to find a twine but he eventually finds it and makes a shabby spear so that he can fight from a little bit of range and once he completes his spear he notices a boar pack roaming around eating berries. So he decides to distract the boars to try to get them to leave so he can collect some berries. He picks up a nearby stick and throws it to the side and it makes a noise which only one boar decides to go and investigate the noise so he realizes that he needs to try to use his terrible spear and kill the boars for some food in the short term. He slowly creeps up onto the boar and manages to get the jump on him. John manages to kill the boar in one swift motion but his spear breaks so he will have to make another one. He carries the boar back to the beach where he notices that the sun will set in the next hour or two and he goes into the forest to find some sticks, leaves, and a sharp rock. Once he collects all of that he has about a half-hour left until nightfall to start a fire and get the boar cooking. It takes him about 20 minutes to start the fire because he knew how to start it but he had never done it before. Once the fire starts to get up he uses a rock like a knife to cut the boar open and cook it. Once he has cooked it and eaten it he goes to sleep until the morning. When he wakes up he realizes that nobody has shown up and he might be here for an indeterminate amount of time. So he decides to try to make his life the most comfortable that he can. He starts by searching the area for any supplies that might have washed onto the shore that is useful in any way possible. He looks for about an hour and a half before he changes his mind to find anything for building a shack to make his sleep more comfortable and make it so that he with be safe from any animals so that he could sleep without worrying about anything crawling on him in his sleep or a hungry creature eating him alive. So he starts by finding random sticks and leaves and brings them to the beach where he plans to build his house. After he has gathered all of the supplies to build a small shack. He goes and gathers a shovel-like rock and a sturdy-looking stick and builds a flimsy shovel. Once he has built the shovel he starts to dig up some sand from the beach and makes himself a hole that is big enough to lay down in. Once he finished digging, which took him about thirty minutes to do he starts to shove sticks into the ground right by where he dug the hole and weaves leaves between the sticks and he takes extra care to make sure that the leaves will not fly away once a breeze comes in and takes his house away with it. Now that he has built walls around a hole he goes to the forest to get scavenge more sticks and leaves because he underestimated the amount that he would need to make a full house and he also needs enough leaves to lay on the base of the hole that he built so that he can stay warm at nights without laying by a fire. Once he is in the forest he notices that a small tree is knocked down and decides to spend some time moving it back to his new camp. Once it is there he goes and gets dozens of more sticks and leaves and spends the rest of the day until it is dusk putting a roof on and laying the sides and floor of the hole with leaves. Once he completed that he does not have many more leaves left but he manages to make himself a leaf blanket. He then is so tired that he knows he can’t do anything more today so he dozes off to sleep sleeping better than he did last night and gets a half-decent night of sleep which was desperately needed for him. Now that it is the beginning of the third day that he is on this randomly deserted island he hears his stomach growl and realizes that he did not eat yesterday and must go and scavenge for any berries, animals, or anything else that might be edible. He starts his day by going into the forest again and manages to find some berry bushes with having that looks like raspberries so he picks the bush clean of every berry that looks ripe and ready to eat before moving on to find out that there are dozens of berry bushes around where he found the raspberry bush and collects as much as possible to eat before going back to should where he noticed that some plastic bottles had washed up to the shore which means that he will be able to get some clean water to drink. He builds a contraption to filter the water using some dirt, stones, and sand to filter the water of the salt and any other harmful substances that could be in the water. It takes about an hour for him to finish building the water filter and after that, it takes about thirty minutes to make a bottle of clean water so he waits patiently for his first bottle of water to be done and quickly gulps down the water and instantly feels his thirst which like many things due to the speed that things had been happening to him he had been ignoring due to more pressing matter that would help him more. 

He decides to spend the next day slaving away trying to find more bottles or anything that he can get to make it so that he can get a stockpile of clean water that is safe to drink. He focuses on getting quite a bit of clean water due to the fact that if he gets any illness it could impede his activities for possible weeks or lead him towards a downward spiral where he gets progressively sicker and eventually causes him to die. So he spends a whole day doing nothing but scavenging for any bottles or metal items that he might use and while he was searching for useful stuff he finds a metal pot which he decides to use to boil water to get clean water and to cook food to lower the chances that he gets sick. He brings everything to the camp before he goes to sleep. 

The next day he decides to take a bottle of clean water and some berries and to go see if he can see what types of resources that there are on the island that he can use. He travels about 2 hours into the forest before he finds some chickens.  Which he grabs two of them and starts to go back to his camp where he put the chickens into his shack while he goes and collects some materials so that he will be able to build a fence to keep the chickens in an enclosed area where he can get protein from the eggs that they lay. So that he now has a consistent supply of food where he can now slowly try to be self-sufficient and not have to worry about any of the basic necessities. 

The next day he gathers more chickens and some roosters and brings them back to his enclosure so that he can now also eat some meat once the chickens start to breed and he can slaughter a chicken without it affecting them really at all. Once he has all of the chickens and roosters in his enclosed space he notices that it is a little cramped in there so he decides that tomorrow that he will gather more materials to build a bigger enclosure so that they have enough space to thrive so that he can solve his food problems for a long time. He decides that the next thing he needs to do is to find fruits and vegetables that grow in the forest and plant them closer to him so that he does not need to travel hours to get some food. He spends the full day gathering plant seeds and brings them back to his shack and goes to sleep. 

Where the next day he starts to build a little garden that should hopefully bear fruits in a few months and he can be truly self-sufficient and not have to worry about anything except trying to find ways to entertain himself. The days go by with him gathering food and making drinkable water for about a month before he decides that he needs to do something else. One morning he decides that he needs some sort of way to entertain himself. He ponders on what would be a good pastime that he could do to entertain himself. He decides to take a walk on the beach while thinking about what would be a good way to entertain himself when he stumbles upon a fishing line and thinks that fishing is a good way to kill the time and spice up his food. He spends about two days building a fishing rod and then goes to the beach where there are some cliffs that are about an hour away from his shack and starts to fish. He finally has a way to truly not have to worry about and of his basic necessities. He lives his life frugally and only does what is needed for him.