By The Loch | Teen Ink

By The Loch

By shiro1sora, Portland, Oregon
shiro1sora, Portland, Oregon

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Pirsig

Author's note:

We, as humans, label things as evil based on our morals and/or convenience. If a story is told in the perspective of one such labeled individual, then what does that make us?

In the dead of night, the forest was near silent. So still that the rustling of dry leaves in a slight breeze sounded as loud and unnerving as the warning of a rattlesnake. So quiet that one instinctually knew something monumental would happen.

In the dead of night, a young girl of seven ran, fearful of the dark silhouette steadily gaining. Tromping through the foliage, his malicious grin promised her nothing but pain.

In the dead of night, the poor child continued on, feet scratched and sore as she neared a break in the trees. Steadily she neared, unknowing of what was to come.

In the dead of night, the chase had come to an end on the muddy banks of a great loch. Water weeds trembled in anticipation, for they too knew they would witness the beginnings of something.

And in the dead of night, not a soul heard the terrified splutters and screams of the girl, as her hunter forced air out of her lungs to froth the water. Her hands clawed at the vice like grip, trying for just one last breath of sweet air.

Not a soul would have come to the girl's aid had they known, for her golden eyes hinted at something not quite human. And for that, she became a bastard child. The curse of the village they would gladly be rid of.

Perhaps it wasn't a soul the girl needed--for a demon has no soul, but come he did. Came to the girl's rescue that fateful night, forever changing both their lives. They says demons have no heart, but that seems untrue, for a demon, it seems, may only need the right someone to unlock it for them.

The thudding of a chase met my ears, sounding thunderous to my keen senses. Unusual, as the beasts of this forest have sensed my presence, and the villagers have not ventured near the treeline since the last few children. I sink into the murky depths, and lie in wait at the water's edge. Perhaps I can get a meal out of this yet.

I waited but a few moments before a small child flew out from the forestry, hair trailing like tendrils of flame. She tripped and fell to her knees, just a mere 3 meters away from where I hid. A man soon followed, and he stumbled towards my sanctuary. The child crawled away from him, exhausted from the chase, but her hunter would have none of it. He took hold of her long tresses, and dragged her to the water, so near that if not for these lily pads, I would have been revealed immediately.

I watched unmoving as he wrapped his hands around her slender neck, and forced her under the murky waters of my loch. Bubbles streamed to the surface as she screamed for help, and she desperately scrabbled for release of that deadly grip.

I watched in horrid fascination, as I'd never seen emotions such as these on a human's face. I was beginning to think the only emotion they felt was fear.

The hunter looked up, eyes darting from side to side. It seems he had felt my gaze. His hold loosened slightly when he saw my slitted eyes, and this was enough for the girl to rise above the dark waters to take a gulp of fresh air. But it seems the hunter had forgotten about the prey, and was getting an inkling that he was the hunted.

He scrambled away from the reedy bank, and pointed a trembling finger to the girl.

"You! You summoned a demon, didn't you! DIDN'T YOU!"

In his eyes, fear swirled with irrational anger, and my heart raced at the intensity, the potency of the sheer terror running through his veins. It made me eager for the meal to come. Quickly deciding to take action, I leapt out of the loch, going right over the drenched girl so as to prevent his escape. I clenched my jaws on his shoulder, and dragged his flailing body into the waters that would soon consume him. All this happened in the span of five seconds, and by the time the girl's wits came about her, the man was already tissue and bones beneath the red surface.

I slowly rose back to the top of the bloodied waters, and she watched in fearful awe when I began to walk towards the shore, as if it were land I was walking upon. I then came upon the bank, reverse hooves creating deep indents in the loam. It seems the ruse is up, as vague recognition came to alight in her golden eyes, now fading to more of a honey amber.

After a few moments of appraisal, she slowly rose to her feet, maintaining eye contact the entire time. She raised a trembling hand, and reached up to stroke my snout. I debated whether or not to bite the hand, but decided to be generous and meet her halfway.

Her eyes showed a curious wonder, and seemed astonished when her fingers met my dark coat. Her fingers experimentally brushed down the silky ebony, gradually growing more confidence when she saw that her ministrations were okay. She looked back up to my unusual eyes, giggling, and flashed me the brightest smile I've ever seen. Her childish enthusiasm was endearing.

I carefully nudged the small girl away from the dangerous banks. After all, I'm not the only danger around these parts. She seemed puzzled at my intentions at first, but eventually gave in, allowing me to gently push her out of harm's way. She ran back to the treeline, and I had initially thought she was attempting to run from me, after I just spared her life. Surprisingly enough, when she reached the rough bark of a pine tree, she crouched down to grab something she has seen with her little hands.

She brushed off a few stray needles from the mystery object, and shuffled back to me. With an air of triumph about her, she proudly displayed a rather large pinecone. I c***ed my head the side, the action conveying a silent question of "now what on earth would you need that for?"

She seemed slightly disappointed at my lack of appreciation, and carefully set it down at my feet, as if handling a precious gem for a wealthy noble. Once the pinecone was in a satisfactory position, she ran off to collect more. I sank to the floor, long knobbly legs folding to allow me comfort. I watched her hunched form as she scrambled through the undergrowth to connect more of the cones, letting out a squeal of surprised glee when the occasional insect scrambled out from it's hiding place.

This human is quite unusual. Not only had she turned her back to me, but she had also made it her mission to collect prizes for me. Strange indeed. No other human had displayed such bold behavior before, and it felt somewhat refreshing to have an entity with almost no fear of me. Animals flee in my presence, and most humans are absolutely terrified. Rightly so, as the few humans that cross my path never live to tell the tale. Food is food, and I had long since begun to disregard human life. None of them really mattered individually since they all ended up dead.

But as I continued observing her, I felt less and less inclined to end her now. Perhaps I'm not that hungry? Well, I did just have a meal, so it's a given that my hunger is sated. I glanced back to the pinecone, now accompanied by many more huddled in a pile, then looked back at the girl still eagerly searching for more prizes. Perhaps I will keep her by my side, if only as a snack.

Names hold power and identity.Be grateful and proud of the one you have been given.

I let out a soft but firm neigh to get the girl's attention. It did the trick, as her head snapped up at the sudden noise. I stood slowly, carefully unfolding my legs, before gesturing for her to follow me. Ghosting through the trees, we followed the same path the two humans took, marked by the upturned soil left behind by the frantic chase. Now that she had the chance to look around, she let her curiosity run free, swiveling her head left and right to better absorb the sights around her. I took this time to take a good look at my companion.

Her golden eyes shone in the dark, a hue not unlike my own. Most certainly odd for a human, but it was possible for her to be a half-breed. She only barely came to the bottom of my shoulder, but her wild curls made up for a few inches. Freckles smattered across her nose, and her face still retained some of her baby fat, rounding out her face with child-like innocence. She wore a loose shirt as one would a dress, dirt staining the rough fabric.

But regardless of her disheveled appearance, she continued marching on beside me, bare feet crunching through the layer of dry pine needles. I noticed her eyes started to droop, and she was starting to stumble a bit. I stopped, and she walked a bit more, before realizing what had happened.

Now slightly more aware of her surroundings, she watched curiously as I walked to her. She gave a yelp of surprise when I lifted her frail frame by the back of her worn shirt, careful not to graze any skin with my sharp teeth, and placed her on my back. She dug her fingers into my mane to keep her balance, then wiggled a bit to get more comfortable. Seeing as she was satisfied, I set off again at a slow walk, in no hurry to get to our destination.

The silence was stifling, and only the muted thumps of my hooves could be heard. The soft sway of my gait eventually lulled her into a soft slumber, and I continued on, mindful of her small shifts.

Humans are frightfully frail creatures. If she fell from my back, she could be horribly injured. After all the effort I put into keeping her alive, it would be most frustrating if she died now.

The moon was nearing the tree tops when I finally reached what I would assume to be the girl's hometown. The lights from taverns shone through the watery panes, sending soft shafts of light across the path. I hid just within the treeline, and searched for a place of easy access and minimal chances of being caught unawares. This task proved to be no small feat, as the streets were littered with drunks stumbling about. But at last, I had found the ideal place to abandon my burden.

I took her dirtied shirt into my mouth once more, and set her down on the cold ground. She stirred a bit before opening her eyes to take in her surroundings. With her dazed eyes, she quickly took stock of the situation. Now fully aware, she bolted up from the ground to cling to my leg.

Her slight weight would not pose a problem if I were in dire need of escape, but it was still irksome that she had the gall to touch me. I shook her off to remind her of her place. This is the second favor I've done for this human! Is she not grateful?!

With this in mind, I walked off, hooves clopping against the packed dirt. She followed, keeping close to my side. Quite persistent, this one. I suppose if this goes long enough, she'll tire and leave me be.

***

It's been hours since we've entered the village, and dawn is almost upon us. I long to rest my aching hooves, for the uneven dirt had taken its toll. I suppose it would be wise to change to a less...... Conspicuous form. I focused my magic to my core, and slowly, my equine form morphed into a humanlike one. Sharp teeth still remained, and vaguely pointed ears hinted at my Fae origin, but I would lead to far less suspicion like this.

I looked over to the girl next to me. Formerly dead on her feet, she now looked at me in amazement. It seems she is still trying to process that the horse was a human the whole time. It was slightly amusing to see her confusion written on her face clear as day. She's like an open book.

A draft came down the alley, and I was suddenly aware of how naked I am. All skin and no hair to keep warm. I had forgotten that this was the reason humans wear clothing. Being a human is more troublesome than I thought. Now I must somehow procure a set of clothes suitable for wear.

I decided to take the risk, and went in the open in search for my needs. I have no fear of being called perverse, for I have no reputation to tarnish. Of course, my only fear is being recognized for what I am. Though I may be the superior being, I am far outnumbered, and am in unfamiliar territory. Also taking into account that my strength had diminished given the distance from my home water source, and we have a recipe for disaster.

We walked a fair amount until we came across a church. In all its grandeur, the faith still cannot protect its people from the likes of me. I walked through the tall doors, and looked for the donations table.

The disapproving stares of the Angels bore through me, and I could see the morning sun filtering through the stained glass. Luckily the donations weren't that hard to find, as they were placed near the entrance for easy access. Digging through the mountain of clothes, I finally found a rough pair of plain brown pants that would fit me, and a worn cream shirt with a wide neck and three-quarter length sleeves. I had to forgo socks and shoes to keep up appearances as a homeless villager, but I suppose safety is better than luxury.

A thud of heavy wood came from behind me and the girl. She had dozed off during my search, but now stood at attention. We looked for the origin of the sound, and found the priest looking back at us, obviously startled by our presence. His eyes traveled up my form, until they finally settled on my eyes. The ears were hidden behind my long raven locks, but I could not hide my golden eyes.

His eyes widened, and he became further frenzied when he saw my small companion hiding behind me. He shook, but came toward us with a determined stride. Emboldened by my lack of aggression, he stopped just a few steps away from me.

I reached out for more articles of clothing from the pile for the girl. If this was a villager's reaction to me, who is quite obviously a wolf in sheep's clothing, then I can assume that she receives similar treatment. I heard an intake of breath before the man finally spoke.

"How dare you enter this house of God, demon? Have you no respect for the lord?!" Hazel eyes glared at me, and his tone spoke that he would much rather torch me on a stick than greet me in any way.

"Your god has no say in what I may or may not do. And a god with no authority shall demand no respect from me." I will have to cut this short. I did not plan for any hostile encounters.

"Don't play coy! State your purpose for coming to this holy residence!" My voice lowered with almost tangible frost.

"A weak human such as yourself would be wise to address your superiors accordingly. I owe you nothing, and would sooner eat your mother than bow down to the likes of you. All you need to do is accept my gracious gift."

"That devil spawn is not welcome here!" Ah. So it seems my suspicions were correct. Take her away and we will be more than happy of the riddance. Perhaps you can even accept her as payment for the safety of our children?"

I snarled."Absolutely not! I refuse to take sacrifices. I will take what's rightfully mine rather than have it offered to me. Furthermore, one girl is not nearly enough compared to all the foolish children who reside in this puny gathering you call a village." The priest truly looked to be at a loss now. He had hoped for a favorable deal, but was now grasping at straws.

"Then....on what terms will you accept?! Human flesh is all that you desire, so we have nothing more to offer you than-" He was desperate now, and his will was caving under my intimidation. I looked at him in disgust.

"You are incorrigible. Despicable! How do you suppose this fate came upon you all?!" He looked at me in confusion. "I was born no demon. As a sacrifice, I am forced to bear the weight of your sins. And now it's time to pay. I do not accept your terms." I spun on my heel, clutching the small girl's hand in my own as I marched out the door and down the stone steps.

Indeed, the sun had risen, and brought with it the stirring of people, preparing for a days' work. We would have to go back across town to get to the forest, and it would have to be on foot. I set off at a brisk pace, dragging the girl behind me. I felt self-conscious at the scornful glares directed at us, but continued on, occasionally returning fire with my own baleful glare.

They made no indication that they would act upon their silent threats, but I had seen firsthand just how dangerous their contempt is. We walked in silence, the girl's labored breathing loud to my ears.

The sun had risen a fair amount more since we had set off again, and there were now several stores open for business. I stopped to give the girl some respite, and strolled over to one of the stores. Fortunately, it was a grocer's. The human girl must be starving by now. I had forgotten that she must eat food regularly to survive.

I inspected a mound of apples, and swiped the ripest ones I could see. Nonchalantly, I continued searching for something to add to the girl's meal. Hard lumps of bread were gathered in a basket in the corner, and I grabbed only one of those. Harder to chew than gristle, that is. I snatched a stalk of celery on my way out, hiding the stolen items from unwanted eyes.

The girl seemed to have recovered, but was pressed against the wall like a caged animal, eyeing the crowded street with distrust. I walked past her, trusting she would come after me. I handed her one of the apples I had gotten, and watched as her eyes practically sparkled at the fruit. She gobbled it up like she hasn't eaten a thing in a week, and it saddened me that that might be the truth. I will take her away from this wretched place, and bring her to where she belongs. I cleared my throat to gain her attention.

"Do you by chance have a name?" She shook her head in response, eyes glued to the ground. The silence started to grow awkward, so I started again. "Would you...like one?" Her head shot up at this.

"Yes!" I chuckled at her enthusiasm.

"Alright then. Would you like to name yourself? It's quite inconvenient addressing you as 'girl.'" She hesitated for a moment before shaking her head no.

"You would like.....for me to name you?" Again, a nod. "Alright. Your new name is Aileen." She grinned at me, happiness exuding from her very being.

"Do you have a name, mister?" I smiled at her, a little melancholic.

"No; not anymore. I lost it." She looked horrified that I had no name either. I decided to humor her a bit, and let her return the favor. "Would you like to name me?"

"Can I?!"

"Of course. It's only fair."

"Alright...Lachlan! Your name is now Lachlan." She looked immensely proud at her choice of naming, and I couldn't help but admire her glow of self-satisfaction. I do suppose it's a rather fitting name for one such as myself. So now I am Lachlan.

It had been almost a full day since I brought Aileen back to my lair. She had fallen dead asleep on the way back through the forest, exhausted by the stressful events of the night. The girl was now sleeping peacefully in a nest of pine needles and twigs.

Her formerly sickly pale skin now replaced with healthy porcelain and adorned with more freckles than I had seen the night before. Her hair was somehow more of a mess than yesterday, and looked as if a gremlin had taken refuge. She was bathed in Spring's light, but still curled to keep warm.

I watched from my part of the loch, bored of this dreadful stillness. Sadly, I could do nothing to ease my boredom for fear of gaining the unwanted attention of my fellow loch monsters. I had long resigned myself to caring for Aileen, and had decided to do so with my utmost ability.

The crack of a twig snapping alerted me to Aileen's awakening. She laid still for a moment before rising and rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She looked around in confusion before spotting me among the water weeds.

".......Lachlan? Why are you a horse again?"

I snorted at her question. She was just so confused it was pitiful. I rose from the water, and shook the excess off before stepping back onto land. I walked over to the branch of a tree holding my pilfered human clothes, and transformed. I quickly pulled them over myself, not at all enjoying the sensation of the chilly air biting at my damp skin. I sat down next to her, lowering myself to her level, and handed her the last apple. She took a bite, and sat waiting for an answer.

"I am most comfortable in my original form. Being 'human' is secondary now, and does not feel natural to me."

".....oh." She couldn't seem to find anything more to say. Finally, she thought of something to break the silence. "Can I do magic like that too?"

"Transformation? No. At best, maybe a bit of illusionary magic. As a half-breed, the magic in your blood has been severely diluted, so you will never be able to master anything too complex." She looked disheartened at this, but perked up when she realized I had said she may have a chance at illusions.

"What does 'illusionary' mean?"

"Illusionary magic is where you change the way people perceive your appearance. Almost like transformation, but not quite." She was practically bouncing at this, and you could see she was thinking of all the possibilities.

"When can you teach me?!"

"When you are older. You aren't ready yet." Her eyes misted at this, preparing an attempt to sway my decision.

"B-but," she sniffled a bit for added effect, "but why not?!" She looked on the verge of crying at this point, and irritation started to grow within me.

"I have no obligation to teach one such as yourself. Be grateful I have taken you in, and am even contemplating the notion of teaching you magic in the first place!" She flinched, and what were false years mere moments ago, now rolled down her cheeks at my outburst. I took a breath to calm myself, then set about making her feel better.

"Would you like to see something?" She gave another soft sob before growing quiet, showing that I had piqued her interest. I looked around, and found an open pinecone. Performing a simple trick of illusion, its appearance rippled into that of a clump of emerald crystal. She let out a gasp of surprise, and looked at me in amazement. Answering her silent question, I handed it to her.

"See how it still feels like a normal pinecone? That's the power of illusion." She nodded, and handed it back to me, the pinecone returning to its true appearance.

I felt strangely proud that I had managed to cheer Aileen up. Perhaps the cause would be my normal diet. Only eating children, but never trying to make them feel better. It is a very ironic situation to think about.

My eyes traveled back to her matted hair, and noticed a few sticks and the like tangled in her curls. Hesitantly, I began, "Aileen? Have you had a bath recently?"

She shook her head no. It's no wonder she's so filthy!

"Then I suppose we should get to it." Without further ado, I pulled her shirt and undergarment off her, and pulled her into the shallows. I was already scrubbing at her skin when Aileen finally caught up. She stood and tried to escape, but I kept a firm grip on her arm to keep her from escaping. Hygiene is not to be taken lightly. Especially in the forest.

"Lachlan, let me go! Let me go, let me go, let. Me. Go!" She continued her struggles, but gave up when it became apparent to her that my strength was too great to overpower.

"Aileen, you need to be cleaned." She gave a huff, but didn't say anything in response. I leaned her head back, and worked my fingers through the knots. After a fair amount of work, Aileen's hair was combed through and as smooth as could be managed.

I ushered her out of the water, and gave her the clean clothes from the church to change into.

"Aileen, I would like to set some rules." She looked at me questioningly. "First, never go out of my sight. There are too many dangers in these woods for you be safe when alone. Second, never go into these waters without me. There are worse things than me in this loch. And thirdly, never talk to strangers. I ask that you please follow these rules, lest you be harmed at any time." Aileen nodded frantically, making her damp curls bounce up and down. I allowed a sigh of relief to escape lips, and smiled at her. She smiled back, not at all frightened by my teeth. "Would you like to play a game?"

"Yes! What are we playing?" She bounced around in anticipation, excitement clear in her eyes.

"We will play a game of questions. I ask something, you answer. Then you ask something, and I answer." Aileen looked a bit skeptical that such a thing could be considered a game, but took to the idea easily enough.

"I'll go first! Why are your eyes yellow like mine?"

"Because we are both of Fae origin. You of descent, and me because of.....certain circumstances. Now, do you remember your parents at all?" She looked upset at my question, but answered anyway.

"No. You?"

"Neither do I. What is your preferred fruit?" I wanted to lighten the sour mood with a simple question to lower her guard once more.

"I haven't tried many fruits...but I liked strawberries. Do you ever eat food like me?"

"If necessary, I suppose I can eat animal meat. I don't know about vegetables though." Aileen giggled.

"Mothers always say that good kids eat all their vegetables, right?" I grumbled a bit about that.

"Enough about the vegetables. Do you have a favorite flower?"

"Oh! I like those big ones with all the yellow flowers! Those really big ones! They're thiiiiiiis tall!" She explained as she held her hand high in the air while dancing on the basis of her feet. I snickered at her antics.

"A giant mullein, is it?"

"That's the one!"

"I guess I'll just have to remember that." Perhaps I can surprise her with a meadow full of the weeds someday.

"Okay, my turn! How old are you?"

"It has been fifty-two years since I have come to this world as a water horse. I know how old I was in human years." She looked shocked that one as old as I could look so young. Really though, I am embarrassingly young in comparison to other creatures I have met. "Do you have a birthday?"

"I gave myself a birthday," she said in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Oh? Did you now." I was teasing, but it didn't seem she recognized that.

"Yes. My birthday is May 13th. This game is boring now! Let's play something else!" I looked up at the sky, and saw that we had talked the day away.

"There will be no more games today, Aileen. It's high time you go off to bed. Sleep well." I shifted back to return to the loch, and settled in for the night. I need no sleep, but it is a luxury I will miss. Lamenting my fate, I lowered my head completely below the surface to keep watch.

***

I resurfaced to make sure nothing had happened while I was submerged. I looked at the sleeping form of Aileen, and saw that she was shivering violently. I had not thought to steal anything more than some food in town, and had forgotten that humans get cold easily.

I checked my surroundings to make sure it was clear, then got out to hunt. Only this time, my prey would be an animal.

***

It had been about an hour since I had left the loch, and thankfully Aileen was in the same place where I had left her. The pelts I had brought back were abundant with fur, but would have to be cured for any use to come out of them.

Sadly, they could offer nothing at this moment. So, I lay down with Aileen, and provided some warmth for her. She felt the heat I radiated, and snuggled closer, muttering unintelligible gibberish all the while. And we lay like that until the sunrise.

I have two additional chapters planned before the end of this book. Part 5 is started, but may take a while to complete....

Aileen is bored. So much so, that I am beginning to fear that she very well may go off on her own in search of entertainment. She's already memorized the patterns in the bark of her tree, and she's seen enough insects to last her a lifetime. She's followed my guidelines thus far, but boredom can push many a person over the edge. Adventure is in that child's blood.

"Lachlan?"

"Yes, Aileen?"

"I'm boooored." Ah. So she finally cracked.

"I realize that." I stood up from the patch of grass I had been lying on, already accustomed to being human more often than not. "Would you like to go on an adventure?" Her eyes shone at the prospect of this change of pace, and her round cheeks flushed with excitement.

"Yes! When can we go?!" I smiled at her genuine enthusiasm. I have smiled so much more in this past week since I met Aileen.

"Right now, if that is what you wish."

She sprang up from her perch on the roots of a tree, hair in tangles yet again, and bounded towards me.

"Really? You mean it?!" Her small hands were clamped around my right arm, and she was all but hanging off of me.

"Yes. Come, and I will take you to see someone." I headed off in a southward direction, Aileen still attached to me like a giant leech. I really had no idea how I would find this acquaintance we were searching for, and I have not the slightest clue if he would reveal himself to us. I suppose at the very least, the walk around the unfamiliar parts of the forest can settle her restlessness for a while. I hold no hopes, but perhaps fate would come through for us once more.

We walked through the trees, the forest being so different in the morning sunlight compared to under the silver moon. Aileen was ogling the sights around her, bringing a sense of déjà vu upon me. I do have to wonder what goes on in that little head of hers, though. The girl had seen me devour a man, and held no fear. So bold was she, it was admirable.

Among the budding plants and saplings, multiple fairy rings could be seen in small clearings. I'm sure that if one delved deep enough in the forest, you could easily find a fair few amount of fairy mounds. This forest holds many secrets, and houses faeries of all kinds, both kind and malevolent. It truly is a magical place.

Aileen pointed to one of the more obvious rings, and asked what it was, wonder clear in her eyes. My heart warmed to see her in such a way.

"That's called a fairy ring. It causes either good or bad luck, depending on which clan it belongs to. It's a link to their magic, in a sense." She looked satisfied at my answer, and was content to continue taking in the rest of the wonders. Soon enough, we inevitably found ourselves just steps away from a fairy mound, just as I had predicted. Before I could stop her, Aileen got down to her hands and knees, and craned her head to try to see through the small tunnel.

"What's in here?" She was still bent down, and her voice echoed slightly down the passage. I gently pulled her up from the ground, ignoring her protests, and straightened her dirtied clothes.

"That, my dear, is a fairy mound. Careful though; the aes sídhe kidnap children. They may return you, but one cannot tell when." She immediately shut her mouth, and she eyed the sídhe warily, as if expecting it to swallow her at any given moment.

"But....why would they do that?" She looked down, just now comprehending that some faeries do more harm than good.

"Because they switch out their children with a human child. It is a custom their people have."

"But won't they miss their children?"

"Some do. That is why they take the human as a replacement. You see, it is said that they cannot provide the milk needed to nourish their children, and therefore need a human mother for that purpose. They return to their rightful homes eventually, but it's necessary for their kind's survival."

"Oh..." Aileen was torn on whether their actions are "good" or "bad." Morality, or necessity?

We walked a bit further before I gave her a break. She sat on the leaves left by birch trees growing with the now less common pines. We rest in silence, not caring for any talk right now, and just absorbed the sights and sounds around us. I still find it strange when a bird chirps, or a small pixie darts through the branches. Such things never happened in my part of the forest.

A rustling came from the branches above us, and I went to shield Aileen from whatever danger had found us. Tense seconds passed before a green mass fell from the branches. It landed with a loud thump, and writhed until it regained its footing. So it seems he did choose to reveal himself after all.

When steady, we could see that the creature was an aged man of small stature, garbed entirely in leaves and mosses. His black hair was wild, and he too donned slightly pointed ears. Ghillie Dhu is what we call him. Aileen looked at him strangely, and he peered back with wise eyes.

Tilting her head, she asked, "Who are you?"

He shifted uncomfortably until he answered, "I am known as Ghillie Dhu."

"Is that your real name?"

"It was what I was given," he replied cryptically.

"But what's your real name?" He paused, before replying in another riddle.

"Names hold power. My name is for me to know, and maybe for you to find out." He nodded sagely, as if this was a perfectly logical answer. "But can I ask for yours?" Aileen looked like she would refuse just to be stubborn, but changed her mind halfway.

"My name is Aileen." She stood straight and puffed out her chest proudly. Ghillie Dhu just chuckled at the ridiculous sight she made, but I let her have her fun. She suddenly remembered my presence, and stepped closer. "This is Lachlan." Ghillie Dhu's features tightened by just a fraction, but he addressed me to humor her.

"Hello...Lachlan," was his strained reply. He eyed me calculatingly.

"Greetings, Ghillie Dhu." My eyes silently told him 'Aileen is special. Don't mess this up.'

"And what might a young lady such as yourself be doing in a forest like this?" he asked, humor twinkling in his eyes. "This is a dangerous place, you know." Aileen puffed out her cheeks cutely.

"I'm not afraid," she said stubbornly. "After all, I have my big brother Lachlan to protect me." I just about choked when she said that. Since when have I been 'big brother?'

"Oh! Is that so." She nodded her head vigorously. "Then would you like to play a game?"

"Yes! Wait...it's not going to be one of those question games Lachlan likes so much, is it," she asked suspiciously. Ghillie Dhu shook his head no. "Oh. Then what game will we be playing?"

"A simple game of hide and seek," was his only reply.

"I bet I'll win," Aileen boasted. He said nothing in response, but a mischievous gleam took to his eyes.

"Oh, I'm sure you will. But you'll have to find me first." He left Aileen no time to reply, for a puff of green smoke had taken his place. "Catch me if you can," was his echoing taunt. Aileen stood shocked, but soon began her great quest of finding Ghillie Dhu. Their game went on for hours, with Aileen looking for the little man, then finally finding him in a tree's branches, or camouflaging with a bush. Then he'd pretend to look everywhere while Aileen attempts to stifle her giggles, just like the kind old man I was told he was.

And when Aileen complained that he was too hard to find, they moved on to the next game. On and on it went, and I would just silently sit on the sidelines, patiently waiting for her to remember me. I would let her have her fun, for even I am not so willful to deny her that much.

After a while, Ghillie Dhu stopped to look up at the sky, which was now showing a pink tint.

"Dusk is almost upon us. I think it's best you head on home now, Aileen. The forest is a dangerous place at night." She let out a sigh of disappointment, but resigned herself to her fate.

"Can we play again?" Her face begged him to say yes. It saddened me that I could provide no entertainment for her. Ghillie Dhu smiled kindly, and gave into her wishes. He lived for the children, and was far more capable of caring for them than I would ever be. Nothing I could do would change that.

"I thank you for caring for Aileen today." The wizened man gave a nod of acknowledgment. I looked at Aileen, who was now playing with a toadstool she had found, then pulled Ghillie Dhu aside to have a private conversation. "Ghillie Dhu, can I ask you something of great importance?" He nodded once, signaling for me to continue. "If anything happens to me, will you take care of Aileen? I fear I can keep her a secret no longer. Fortune has smiled upon us thus far, but this cannot last forever."

He thought for a moment, then nodded. "I will take care of the girl. We may not have agreed on many things in the past, but I can see that you love her. Perhaps not in any romantic sense, but you love all the same." My shoulders released some of their tension at his agreement, and relief flowed through my very being.

"I cannot thank you enough." I looked back to Aileen, and walked towards her. "Aileen, we must go home now." I glanced at Ghillie Dhu, and nodded once in farewell, before taking Aileen's hand in mine, and heading off in the direction we had come from. We had stayed far longer than I would have liked, and had little time to get back to safety.

I stopped, and disrobed to return to my original form of a horse. Now naked, I handed the clothes to Aileen, and morphed into the black stallion she was so familiar with. I placed her small form upon my back, allowing her fingers to intertwine in my mane, then sped off at a full gallop. She shrieked, but came to enjoy the ride after a moment or two.

Speeding through the trees, I once again had to fight the urge to latch onto her and plunge into the nearest body of water. I will be strong enough to protect her. And I refuse to lose to anyone; including my base instincts!

The surroundings blurred, and halfway through the journey I slowed. I had tried to ignore it earlier, but I could pretend no longer. Someone, or something was following us, and I had no clue if it was friend or foe. I could sense Aileen's confusion, but she stayed silent feeling the tension in the air. I strained my ears for any noises that may be out of place, but the forest was silent. For what was supposed to be a friendlier part of the forest, it was too silent.

I could not transform again, or I will leave Aileen at risk of attack, but I could not call out to them in this form either....quite the predicament, if I do say so myself. I started walking again, on the alert. Surely they know that their presence has been revealed. If so, there are only two options: reveal oneself, or flee. Thus far, it seems they have no intention of doing either.

I forced my tense muscles to move us towards my home. I will not show weakness. After so long alone in this dark forest, Aileen was like a breath of fresh air with promises of Spring. I can't lose her. Not now.

I started sprinting in hopes of shaking our stalker off my tail, and raced through the trees. Shadows now clung to the trees, and darkness had fallen. My chest heaved with exertion, but I pushed myself to go farther. Just a bit more--

We finally broke through the treeline, and I could feel our pursuer's hesitation to be out in the open. To fight in my home territory would be most unwise, if I do say so myself. I felt smug that they would not get Aileen today. Their presence faded, and I could only feel my neighbors nearby. I've been most fortunate for them to have respect enough to know that Aileen is off limits. But I know that this peace will never last. Proof of this has just run off, sure to spread the word of a human in the forest. And mark my words, they will be back.