Gone Boy | Teen Ink

Gone Boy

January 3, 2016
By LynxWhitetail BRONZE, Thorp, Washington
More by this author
LynxWhitetail BRONZE, Thorp, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Author's note:

Gone Boy is based on a short writing piece I did in eighth grade. It turned out really depressing, but since I like sad stuff I went with it and... yeah. I'll post the original piece in the 'fiction' section, but this one is long enough to be a short novella.

     I reach down, let my fingers dangle in the moonlight. The air is surprisingly cold, biting my skin, and I fight against the impulse to retrieve my hand. Minutes pass, my eyes close, then open again as a train rumbles by. I hardly notice as sleep descends, for although my body is here on this wooden shelf, wrapped in a comforter that gives no comfort, my fingers growing numb in the cold, my mind is far away in a dimly lit hospital room. It is not the train that startles me, but the sound of footsteps in the hall. I lose consciousness to the hum of fluorescent lights, the faint beep of my heart ringing in my ears.
       As I sleep, my body slowly turns to stone, waiting for a touch that always comes-- but not tonight. Tonight, for the first time in my life, he is not here.

And neither am I.  

     When I wake, however, it is to the gentle, familiar feeling of a caress, fingers brushing through my hair. There is a moment, when I am still emerging from the muddy river of sleep, when I disregard what my mind is telling me… there is so much wrong with this: he is not here, I would know if he was; he has not touched my hand, dangling like bait in a trap over his bed; he is not even tall enough to reach my head up here… but my hopeful heart is fooled for a moment. Then it passes, and I am squeezing my eyes closed, grasping at a dream that is already fading. In my dreams, we are together, and the tension in my chest subsides; the invisible cord that connects us-- has always connected us-- no longer feels like it is about to snap. But the dream eludes me, and I wake to feel the pain rise again.

     The hands in my hair belong to my mother, and she smiles hopefully as I open my eyes.

     “Time to wake up for school.” A familiar phrase, but nothing is familiar today.

     “I am not going to school,” I tell my pillow, but Mom does not hear. I close my eyes. It has only been two days-- I do not know how much longer I can last.
          
~ ~ ~
     The footsteps on my bedroom floor are soft, as if the owner does not wish to rouse me. I do not stir, but she knows that I am awake. It is Sera, of course, and she always knows.

      She alights on a chair by our beds, and for several minutes she does not speak. When she does, I have to strain to hear her.

     “I’m leaving.”

     She sounds apologetic, and I can tell that Mom is forcing her to go. Sera would always rather be helping, and she cannot exactly help me from the unfathomable distance of her calculus class. Besides, I know it will be hard for her to bear her normal routine today, going through the motions of life as if her heart is not balanced on a tipping scale, and she is not wondering every moment if her brother will live. Almost as hard for her, perhaps, as it would be for me.

       Never mind- it would be infinitely harder for me. I can barely manage to keep my eyes open, so badly do I want to leave the stark and cruel world of my reality. Even now, lying fully conscious in my bed, separated from him by a mile that may as well be eternity, I can hear voices murmuring indistinctly, as if through a tightly closed door. The sheets clutched in my hands feel rough and uneven, and the weight of the comforter seems to disappear. My fingers contract by no command of my own around a nonexistent metal bar. Our minds, despite the horrors, are one, our lifeline is stretched but unbroken. I have always received his thoughts, his commands, and now I feel his pain: the physical ache dulled by painkillers and sleep, the mental pain of exhaustion, and the sharp twist that nothing can dissolve-- the pain of separation, of loss, of worry. The last, however, is only mine-- he does not yet realize what has happened, that I am not there. He is dead to the world, and that, in a way to terrible to dwell on, is the worst of all.

       Sera lingers by the door, but finally, like Mom, leaves as she sees that I will not respond. She closes the door, and her fingers that curl around its edge are pale against the wood. I saw the dark circles under her eyes, her pasty skin, her worried expression-- I know what she is going through. But I am heartless right now. My heart is forever and a mile away, and I must go retrieve it.

       I wait another minute, then five, and although I do not sleep it is suddenly nine thirty and the house is silent. I slowly sit up, my arm hanging dead at my side. I feel for the ladder with my toes, then turn carefully to climb down, as I do not trust my legs to catch me if I fall. My left arm is useless after a night hanging off my mattress in the January cold. I will need to move it to get my blood flowing again, but it is difficult to find the will to do so. Nearly all of my willpower is currently aimed at keeping me awake and sane.

        Even the most trivial of tasks seems to take hours this morning, but when I have managed to get out of bed without falling to my death, almost negated that achievement by tripping on the stairs and narrowly missing the railing with my head, not bothered with my teeth, dressed myself appropriately to be seen in public, and navigated the kitchen without so much as glancing at anything resembling food, it has been all of ten minutes. I step outside, start to close the door, and then realize that the thermometer by my head reads 17 F. Only then do I register the cold. The brain under stress is a funny thing.

       Two minutes later, and more practically clothed, I try again. This time I make it to the gate, and I turn towards the hospital almost on instinct. The freezing air on my face had woken me some, and I gaze at the world around me. What I can see of the world, that is, because the winter fog that so often chokes our skies has descended like some giant bird and swallowed the town whole. I have always liked fog; it seems so cozy and safe, like a wooly, soft blanket. Everything is different in the clouds, and I enjoy the odd feeling of anonymity that it gives me. Of course, I usually have someone by my side to recognize and remember me, and reassure me that I am not alone or forgotten. Today, however, hidden in this pea-soup mist, I am both.

        My feet trace the route with hardly a conscious thought on my part, which is a good thing, as I am finding it rather hard to form conscious thoughts at the moment. I manage to reach the hospital without dwelling on anything, and slowly approach the doors, shaking my head to clear it of the nervous fuzziness that dampens my thoughts. It is as if some of the fog has crept inside my head on its cat-feet, and thus invaded has made itself a nest in my brain. I wish it away, then realize how childish I am acting and force myself to be calm. Keep it together, Remus. You are almost there.

       The nurse (or secretary, or whatever she is) at the desk gives me her kid-smile as I walk up to the counter, even though I am taller than her by a good three inches. I will try to be as efficient and pointed as possible when I speak to her, so that the inevitable mess of papers and permissions is done as soon as possible. I have found that the best way to get what you want is to know what you are doing, even if you actually have absolutely no idea. I have also gotten rather good at winging it.
     “I am here to visit a patient.” First step: state your business.

     The secretary gives me a kind and sympathetic smile. Reminds me somewhat of Sera, except that my sister’s smiles are genuine.
     “Name?”
     “Me, or the patient...?” The question hangs awkwardly in the air, and I realize just how out of it I am. It is as if I have been drugged.
     “The patient, dear. Who do you want to see?” The kid-smile is even wider, and I think of an anglerfish looming over a prey. I arrange my features to hide my confusion, and nod briskly. Whom, not who, you vacant cow.
     “Of course. His name is Leo Magellan.” I hesitate slightly before the word ‘is’. How much longer will I be able to say that about him? What if it is false, even now? I am not sure how I am able to stand there, in front of the desk, when I am dying. It is all I can do.

     The anglerfish frowns, forgetting that I am a naive child and must be dealt with gently, as if a parent might overhear and chastise her for spoiling my already spoilt temper with her harsh treatment. I am not particularly short, nor childish-looking, yet somehow adults always see me as young, often too young. Even more than they do Leo, although we are physically identical. Perhaps it is not the physical that they see.

     I am seventeen. But I am weak.

     The anglerfish is confused, and about to speak when I remember. “Try Amabalis.” Her face doesn’t clear.
     “Amabalis Magellan. That is his full name. Type it into your search-thing.” I gesture at her computer impatiently, well aware of how I sound. Search-thing? Really, Remus? But I do not care.
She turns back to her computer, and moves the mouse around, then pauses.
     “A-M-A-B-A-L-I-S. Hurry.” I have been reduced to simple demands, and of an adult, no less. This will not help things along.

     She types excruciatingly slowly, but eventually looks back up at me and smiles politely. “And what relation are you to the patient?”

        I glare at her. Must we really? “I am his twin brother.” Fine, if you insist.

        She hesitates again and frowns at her screen. She is stupid, and I don’t have time for this.

      “He is in ICU,” I supply helpfully. “Probably wing 4, off to my left. I can just go now, if that is okay-- “ She doesn’t respond immediately, so I edge away, hoping that our interaction (I check my watch: six minutes down the drain!) has been sufficient.
     “Ah- just a moment, young man!” She chirps. I groan. The predator has spotted me. “I’m afraid you’ll need an adult. He is in very sensitive condition.”

     I close my eyes. Steel yourself. It will do you no good to blow up now.
     “I am family.” She gives me a look that is supposed to be apologetic but really is just nervous.
     “I’m sorry, but that’s our policy—“
     “Screw your policy,” I mutter. Turning on my heel, I proceed down the corridor to wing 4. Around the corner, I break into a run. I cannot help it, the invisible cord is pulling me. My vision swings, fractures; I am surprised that I can remain on my feet. The blue tile floor becomes a blank ceiling, a fuzzy face, a green wall, a cold metal rail, a florescent light in white, in yellow-- some of it is my eyes, some is Leo’s, but he is not awake, so that does not make sense. Then again, when has anything made sense? Today is a blur of sleep and worry, a stretch of pain like a rubber band, stretching and stretching, and it is about to break.

     Eventually, I do fall, but luckily the jarring of the wall against my head serves to clear it. I stand, most of my weight on the wall, and scan the hallway. No one is near, no worried nurses hurrying to help me. Good.

     It occurs to me that, truly, it is not as if I have been drugged. It is as if I was on a drug for my entire life, a wonderful, happy, illusionary drug, and now it has been lifted, and its pretty hallucinations gone. I am in withdrawal.

     The ICU doors are at the end of the hallway, their neon sign searing the information into my eyes. I start toward them, and reach them, too, in a few seconds. I am mildly surprised.
Only after I enter the ward do I realize that there was probably a desk, and a receptionist. Sure enough, I am only halfway across the floor when the neon doors bang open again. But it does not matter. I can see him. I am here.

     There is a chair, and I fall into it.

     The layman would never mistake us for each other today; in fact, Leo is almost unrecognizable. Still, I know my brother. It does not matter what he looks like. Our bond goes much deeper. There are tubes all over the place, and his face is covered in bruises, one eye swollen shut. A strip of hair has been shaved away on his left temple, and in its place lies an ominous line of stitches. His beauty has been spoiled, but it will return with time. He is alive, so he is beautiful.

     A man approaches me, a wary look in his eyes. He wears a blue smock and mask, and is holding out a matching set to me. I take the mask and strap it on, but ignore the smock—undignified, and unnecessary. The man is short, perhaps 5’7”, and I take pride in the wary look. You should be wary. Beware. You should. I grace him with my sweetest smile. I am dangerous. Beware.
     “Sir, I understand your worry, but—“ I touch his arm, cutting him off.
     “No. No, you do not.” The smile is slipping. I do not have time for this nurse right now. Right now, I am dying. And I need to be here, right here, until I am all right again.
     “Sir, please. If you would let me explain?” Should I?
     “Please do.”
     “I just need parental notification. If you could--?”

         My phone is already in my hand. My mother is in class, but she will pick up. Today being today, and me being me, she will be expecting this call.
        “Remy?” Her voice is tired, scratchy. She has been crying.
        “Mom. I am at the hospital.” She sighs. “I need you to tell this nice man that I may stay.” He takes the phone, holds it to his ear, frowns, nods. Hands it back to me.
        “Visiting hours are from eight to four.” I nod absently, hours do not affect me. I have no intention of leaving.
        “And sir, if you don’t follow the visiting regulations, we’ll need to ask you to leave.” Follow your rules? Fine. But they can hardly expect a perfect little child of me. I am a mother bear, and Leo is my cub. They have already come between us too often for my liking.
Besides, you cannot hurt me. I am already dying.

     I look over at Leo, once we are alone, and examine him. He is broken, but now that I am here, he will mend, I am sure of it. I take his hand. Touch-- touch is vital. We must always be in touch.

     I am here. That is what it says.

     I’m confused.
     Hah. I’m not used to being confused. Not my area of expertise. My mind is a razor blade-- but not right now.
I’m confused because the ceiling looks wrong. I linger on this for a while. Why is it wrong? It’s wrong because it’s not brown. It’s not the underside of a bunk bed, the bunk bed that we begged our parents for when we were thirteen and they thought we were too old but we didn’t relent and got one. I got the bottom; that was the arrangement from the beginning, although I usually am on top, commanding.
     I guess I felt benevolent that day.
     This ceiling is a ceiling. It is not a bunk bed.
     I wonder why.
     I turn my head slightly to the right, and see some strange contraption that looks like it belongs in a hospital. Or maybe a torture chamber.
     The bed is wrong too, there are bars. For a moment my muddled brain decides that I have somehow traveled through time and become a baby again. This doesn’t make sense, but suddenly, I make a connection.
     Hospital. The contraption looks like it is from a hospital because it is. Something happened, I know that now, I remember. Something bad, so bad that maybe I died. Maybe I died and I was so messed up that they just let me through the gates back into Earth as a baby without even making me forget, so I remember the bunk bed and that day and being benevolent and also my brother in general and that day at the school, when Mr. Sampson got suspicious, and I don’t know why that particular day is floating in my memory right now but it is. I am reincarnated, with memories of a past life!
     This doesn’t make sense either. But I am so high on morphine right now that I don’t notice that. I turn my head to the left.
     Sitting to my left is me. I am looking at myself, looking pretty calm actually. Me in the chair smiles slightly when I see him. Me. Whatever.
     “You woke me up,” he says quietly. I am getting more and more confused.
     “How old am I?” I ask. This whole reincarnation thing is causing the confusion and I want to clear it up.
     “You are seventeen.” Chair me looks confused too. I hope I didn’t infect myself. With confusion. “Is that really the most burning question on your mind?” He is smiling again. “Not, ‘am I alive?’ ‘what happened?’ ‘why am I in this god-awful place that smells like what they use to disinfect portapotties?’”
     “I was possibly a baby,” I mutter. Chair me doesn’t understand. Why not, if he’s me? Maybe he’s not me.
     He frowns and smiles at the same time. Then I remember. He’s not me, he’s my twin brother. Easy mistake, especially if you’ve been unconscious for a few days and full of enough drugs to stop an elephant. I smile back dazedly. I’m still not fully here. I’m not entirely sure where ‘here’ is, beyond the hospital. It occurs to me that I could ask.
     “Where is here?” I ask, then decide that was probably unclear and add, “Besides the hospital.”
     “Emerald. You live here.” He looks cautious, as if he’s not entirely sure what to say. For some reason this seems strange to me. But don’t think about that, Leo, you’re making things worse. Concentrate. He said Emerald. Where is that? Answer: It is where I live.
     Yeah, I know. Great detective work, Sherlock. But I know this because I remember it, not because chair-me (Remus his name is Remy his name is Ry) told me. I remember more now. I am coming awake.
     It feels good to be conscious, to clear the head-fog that was cushioning me. My vision seems to sharpen, although I think this is less a change in my ability to see than it is my ability to notice. Ry is in focus. I remember him…that day in school keeps surfacing, the day when Mr. Sampson guessed our secret. Well, one of them. We have always had secrets. But Mr. Sampson has a little more faith in what he cannot see than most people do, and he did some tests… we agreed, because we wanted to see, too… Why that day? Why now? Why--
     Because you can talk to me.
     It’s not my voice. Very similar. But I know.
    What do you mean?
    I mean you can talk to me. That is what he found out, is it not? Your brain is smarter than you are, Leo!

    I can.
    I could not get through for a while. I… almost panicked. But then I heard you remembering, so I decided to try again.
    I can. We can.
    Yes.

    It is not talking, really, as one does out loud, but communicating, a mutual understanding of thoughts. Most people don’t think entirely in words, we have ideas, concepts that would prove reading someone’s mind quite difficult in practice. But we aren’t reading minds, we are sharing. Our minds are so similar that nothing is ever lost.
    I remember now.
    “Why not out loud?” I ask with a smirk.
    He looks at me, an eyebrow raised as if saying, is it not obvious you child, but he is grinning too widely to preserve the effect. He is happy, relieved, hasn’t slept in a good while. Except perhaps a few hours right before I woke up.
    “Because out loud is audible,” he says matter-of-factly.
    “No, really?”
    “Indeed.”
    “I suppose it’s out of the question, then,” I say, and sigh, and close my eyes. I am remarkably tired for someone who’s been out of it for days.
    On that subject, I wonder exactly how long I’ve been out. I don’t know how I know it’s been days, but it has. Perhaps it’s the level of raggedness that Ry has allowed himself to reach. He’s normally so fastidious, but today his socks don’t match.
    What horror.
    I determine to find out.
    How long has it been, then? Since… since what, exactly? The bus… I remember that. Getting on. Well, you see. I show him the memory, all that I have. It isn’t much; I wasn’t paying attention. Just another meet, another hour on uncomfortable seats with worn covers, nothing to look at but people’s initials carved with illegal pocket knives, and my phone when Julian wasn’t stealing it, and endless waves of sagebrush. Just like normal, until… but I don’t know.
     Three days, thirteen hours, twenty minutes. Or so. Bus crash. I turn my head again and peek through the bars-- he is checking his phone. We have gotten good at multitasking while also conversing mentally. Staring blankly into space tends to arouse suspicion.
     By now it is second nature. I don’t remember a time before we could share thoughts, just as I don’t remember Sera ever not knowing that we could and covering for us. I may have promised myself to always protect Ry, but when it comes to the bigger picture, Sera has always had our backs. I often wonder just how much she knows.
    I know that much. Did-- anyone--?
    No.
    Thank God.
    Is everyone all right? Julian? He wasn’t in his seat…
    Julian is fine. Broke something, probably. Not the first or last time. It was you, and Laura Overman, and Sammy Cortez. Laura is not good, she is in ICU also. Sammy fractured his skull.

     I don’t even want to ask it.
     ...Nika?
    She is fine. In shock. Or was. I mean, no one is really fine, not as long as you were almost dead.
     Could you text her?
     Yeah.
He fumbles with his phone.
     “Just a sec… um… okay. I will just say that you are awake.”
     Sure. I wait.
     “And sent.”
     Mom? Sera? Penny? Oh god, Penny!
     Hey, calm down. Penny is about the only person keeping her head. She is very optimistic.
     True. Penny is tough. My sisters. They are tough.
     She is also only twelve, though, so I worry anyway.
     Mom is… I told her. She should be here any minute now. She is very worried. Dad too. Sera’s holding on, I suppose. I texted her too.
     You’re just telling the whole world, aren’t you?
     Well, it is not as if Sera can come. It is eleven forty. She is in biology or something.
     Yeah, and Mom’s at work.
     Mom is an adult. People make excuses for adults.
     Too true, although we have a talent for getting our way. Sera doesn't usually deign to bend her morals enough, so she has to follow rules. But I suppose there's a price for everything.
     I wish many things now. I wish again and again. I hope that whatever power is out there (Ry and I are decidedly undecidedly agnostic) takes pity on me in my hospital bed with my tubes and my worries and my as-yet-unexplained injuries and grants a few of my wishes. They aren't bad ones, but I don't know what else to do. So much is left to fate right now that I feel justified in leaving a little more.
     Maybe, possibly, everything's all right.
Ry says no more, but he quietly takes my hand and holds it until Mom comes.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.