Shakespeare and the Girl | Teen Ink

Shakespeare and the Girl

March 19, 2015
By Darke_Moone GOLD, Melrose, Massachusetts
More by this author
Darke_Moone GOLD, Melrose, Massachusetts
13 articles 4 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some people are worth melting for." ~Olaf the snowman ^.^


Author's note:

I was inspired to write this piece after taking Shakespearean Studies and learning a little about Shakespeare's past. I love how this turned out and I hope all of you will as well. <3

William Shakespeare was a mysterious man, Kristine was deep in thought, her long, light brown hair flowing down her shoulders in delicate curls. She was wearing a long, cotton gown that was a light shade of blue, and was eighteen years old. She stood at about five feet five inches and her skin was tanned from being out in the sun. She had bright green eyes and was very pretty, but the men stayed away from her, thinking she was strange because she did not act like a typical woman. She had gotten invited to go to the bar and inn that she knew Shakespeare was staying in and was walking there now to see if she could meet this Mysterious Man.
When she got there, there were many men and prostitutes in the bar, as they were in the Red Lights district of London, right near the Globe Theatre where Shakespeare put on his plays. Kristine walked in nervously, knowing that some of the men there would recognize her but not quite sure what those men would do. She was looking around curiously when she saw a particularly loud group of men… and one man sitting there, looking as though he was completely sober. He had out a quill and ink and was writing on a piece of paper.
Kristine walked over and gently pushed herself through the loud men to an empty seat next to the man who was writing. “I am looking for Mister William Shakespeare, do you think you could help me?”
“And what do you need to see him for?” The man had a sing-songy, English accent and his eyes were dark brown, kind, and filled with laughter. He had full, red lips, and a full head of light brown hair. His clothes were simple, and yet they showed a little bit of wealth. The fingers that held the quill were slender and long. The quill itself was extravagant, made with a very large, white feather. The words on the page that the man was writing were almost impossible for Kristine to read. He doesn’t have the best handwriting in the world. she thought to herself before speaking.
“My name is Kristine Griltock. I have been searching a long time for Mister Shakespeare to ask if he would take me as an apprentice. You see, while girls are not supposed to act, it says nothing about whether or not they can write plays, and while it is harder to get it published, I figured he would be willing to read some things I have written and give me advice on what to do next, and maybe take me as an apprentice.”
“Come with me.” The man stood, he was around five foot nine inches, which was an average height for men of that time. Kristine hesitated only a moment before following the man. He easily parted through the crowds with his long, slim arms. He made sure Kristine was right behind him the whole time as she looked around the crowd nervously.
He led her through the bar and over into the section that was the inn. He took her to a private room and shut the door behind them. After it was closed, he looked over at Kristine and gave her a kind smile. He gave a slight bow and took her hand, kissing it gently. “Hello, Kristine. My name is William Shakespeare, and it is a pleasure to meet you.” He said. Kristine gave him a large smile.
“You are the William Shakespeare?!” She looked around at his room. It was bare aside from the wooden bed and a few posters of Shakespeare's plays, Hamlet, Othello, and Romeo and Juliet being among them, and among Kristine’s favorites. The floors were old wood and some of the floorboards were coming up, the nails unable to keep them in the ground. The wood was a darke red colour. There was a wooden nightstand that held a white water basin and towel, as well as a mirror, more quills, ink, and a brush.
“So, you want an apprenticeship. Why is that exactly?” He asked, sitting on the bed and looking at Kristine curiously. Kristine took a deep breath and leaned against the nightstand.
“Ever since grammar school, I have found fascination with writing. Plays especially. I thought maybe if I could get an apprenticeship with you, you could show me how to make my plays better and maybe help me to get them into the theatre…” Kristine said hesitantly. Shakespeare watched her intently, not saying anything after she stopped talking. After a few moments of sitting there and Kristine shifting nervously, Shakespeare gave a large grin and stood quickly.
“I would be happy to help, my dear. Not many girls become apprentices to someone like me, however.”
“I am not like most females, sir.” Kristine looked at him, smiling slightly. “The men stay away from me and the women call me strange, because I do not act the typical way for women. I’d rather be running around, directing plays and acting like one of the men, than sitting around the house sewing.” She answered and Shakespeare gave a small laugh. There were so many things going through that brilliant head of his and he would soon teach Kristine how to think like him.
He couldn’t help but notice how pretty she was, but he had a wife, two daughters, and was trying to figure out a few things, so he quickly threw the thought from his mind. He knew there would be many advantages to having an apprentice by his side, however he also knew that there would most likely be some drama about her being a girl, but he didn’t care. He knew she was promising, and maybe something big could come out of this. Maybe women would be allowed to act! Now that’s an idea, he thought while chuckling, after Kristine had booked a room in the inn and had gone to bed, Women acting. Now wouldn’t that be something?

“No no no no. We gave the Queen her plays, but we have told you, no female actors or playwrights!”
“But if you would simply read this, and see her act!”
“Those are the rules!” Parliament glared at Shakespeare as he continued to try to explain what was going on, and how unfair and unjust they were being to women. Queen Elizabeth was watching curiously, not sure what would end up happening.
“Give a woman a chance. One woman, one night. Do this, and you can decide not to ever allow women to act again.” Shakespeare’s voice was quiet, and Parliament looked at each other, taking a while to discuss. Queen Elizabeth’s eyes widened as she looked from Shakespeare, to the Leaders, to the young girl sitting in a corner, writing and out of earshot.
After a good ten minutes at least of discussing, Parliament turned to Shakespeare. The one who had been talking sighs and nods. “Very well. She has one night. One play. If we believe it to be unsuited for a female to act, still, then you will not ask anymore, and she will leave London, we do not want her giving the other women ideas if she fails.” He said and Shakespeare nodded.
“Very well.” He said before walking over to Kristine. After telling her the news, she jumped up and hugged him tightly. She understands this could mean never coming back to London… but she doesn’t care. He thought to himself. He knew she was very brave and greatly respected her for it.
The two decided that they would put on Romeo and Juliet. It was one that many people knew about, one that the actors could easily remember the lines for, and the one that had one of the largest female roles. The play was to be put on the following afternoon in the Globe Theatre. Shakespeare worked with Kristine all night to get her lines down and to prepare her for what it would be like, with the Groundlings and how the people would be when they saw she was a female and acting.
Kristine knew there was a lot that could happen. If she messed up once, in a small way, women would never be allowed to act and she would have to leave London forever. She had to make the following night:
unforgettable.

“What is she doing here?! Do you know what Parliament will do if they find her?! They will shut us down!”
“Jonathan, calm down. They are allowing her to perform tonight. This is our big chance!” Shakespeare was nearly jumping up and down with excitement. The men looked Kristine over skeptically. One of them, an older man with white hair walked behind Kristine and spoke so suddenly she jumped.
“She is going to ruin theatre for us all. She is too jumpy. Too nervous.” He said and Kristine looked at him and glared.
“Maybe if you wouldn’t all be so crazy and rude, I wouldn’t be so jumpy! I’ll have you know, Shakespeare and I worked on this all night last night!” She exclaimed and all the men jumped back at her sudden outburst before laughing.
“The women will soon be able to act at last!” Exclaimed one, and the one Shakespeare called Jonathan agreed.
“Well then. Let rehearsals begin.” Shakespeare said calmly before grinning.

Rehearsals all went well. Kristine as well as all of the men went over the parts perfectly, and it was commented upon how well Kristine performed the balcony scene. Finally, it was time for them to prepare for the afternoon. The groundlings were steadily getting louder and the atmosphere was getting more and more exciting backstage. Kristine took a deep breath as Shakespeare walked over to her, pulling her into a corner. “I know you will do amazing. And I don’t know what you will think of this, but… Kristine, you have helped me to become happy again. I’ve lost my son, the only heir to my name. I have been so upset about it… and then I met you. I cannot thank you enough, and no matter what happens, you will always be in my mind. Kristine…” He hesitated before pulling her close and into a tight hug. Kristine wondered if he wanted to do more but refrained from doing so, so she would only focus on acting.
He soon let her go to get ready to go onstage. “You will be amazing, Kristine.” He said as he left to go watch the play, as Parliament made him do so he could not help Kristine during it.
The play went by smoothly, at first when the people first saw Juliet was played by a woman, they were confused, but Kristine won the hearts of everyone, just as she had one the heart of Shakespeare. The passion she put behind the character of Juliet, only wanting to be with her Romeo. Kristine was terrified the whole time. It was nerveracking, the thought of having to leave London and… Shakespeare forever. As she was doing the balcony scene and looking out at the audience, she saw Shakespeare and realized how she had come to feel for the brilliant man. Oh God what was she going to do if she had to leave him forever?!
It was going well, Juliet was about to kill herself after Romeo killed himself, when someone threw a bottle at Kristine’s head. Shakespeare had not told her what to do if someone threw something. How could he be so stupid?! He watched as Kristine yelped in panic, and looked up at him, he could see sorrow in her eyes. She had let out a yelp when she should have had the play continue to go on, as the bottle had just barely missed her, but she was startled and didn’t mean to. She stood and ran backstage, holding back tears.

“I messed it all up! I’m going to have to leave… what am I going to do?!” She looked at Shakespeare who grabbed her and held her close.
“It was my fault. I didn’t tell you that the Groundlings did that kind of thing. I am going to leave with yo-”
‘No… I must go on my own… but… you will forever remain in my heart. I will write you… and if you ever wanted to I could tell you where I am and you could come see me… but right now… you belong here. But the love I have developed for you over these past few days is great. And I will miss you.” Kristine had tears in her eyes as she touched his cheek gently and he brought her close, hugging her tightly..
The goodbyes were hard. She had won the heart of not only William Shakespeare himself, but also his actors. Shakespeare gave her one of his horses, a large, black stallion. Before she left, he took her and pulled her close, kissing her deeply and passionately. And with tears in her eyes, she left London, never to return.
 

Shakespeare continued to fight for women to be able to act. The two lovers only got to see each other one other time. It was an amazing meeting, filled with such sweet sorrow. However it was a quick meeting of only two days before he had to go back to his home and his wife. He kept in touch with Kristine until the day he died on April 23, 1616. She got the letter saying he died and was distraught. She never married and died herself not long after Shakespeare from a sickness that was going around the town she was living in.

Finally, during the year of 1660, The religious leaders allowed women to act. Kristine Griltock and William Shakespeare had paved the way for Actors and Actresses everywhere.
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


Desi. GOLD said...
on Mar. 26 2015 at 10:49 pm
Desi. GOLD, Healdsburg, California
12 articles 0 photos 11 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Stars can't shine without darkness."

this is amazing and just a masterpiece! undescribable in words I have been left breathless.

HammadWaseem said...
on Mar. 26 2015 at 3:50 pm
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other
0 articles 5 photos 283 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

WOW! I love it! This is completely brilliant. Keep it up! :)